Wednesday July 11th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

216 Responses to Wednesday July 11th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. nwtex says:

I know I’m not supposed to include any text from an article.
    But I simply could not resist with this story. I had to get some of it in for those who don’t like clicking links and go of the site (such as myself) unless it seems like it would be worth their while.
    So for my punishment I’ll go to my room OR the naughty chair….hmmm well, I’ll ruminate on that for a bit.
    ~~~

More proof that Almighty God is always in control. God’s timing is perfect.
    ~~~

Navy SEALs who rescued Thai soccer team from cave almost didn’t make it out, military officials say
    July 10, 2018, 8:53 PM ET

Thai Navy SEALs who were clearing the flooded cave where 12 boys and their soccer coach were rescued, barely made it out after the main pump that had been siphoning water out of the cave failed, Thai military sources who were directly involved in the operation told ABC News.

The third chamber filled, then the second and then the first, as crews scrambled to avoid the kind of cave flooding that had trapped the soccer team.

More here —>

3. nwtex says:

From the comments:

Rick Terry
    4 years ago
    Here is a great old song that truly required some thoughtful engineering of its writing and much research of the Bible and the structure of a “DECK of CARDS”. If you’ve never heard it before I think you will be pleasantly surprised of the Blessing that can come forth from this story.

• Plain Jane says:

I’ve heard this a few times before, and always liked it. Great post. Thanks nwtex.

• nwtex says:

YW. Ya know it sounded familiar to me as well. Just as John Waynes “America, Why I love Her” (I believe that’s the title, anyway). Must have been eons ago when I’ve heard them. Like them both VERY much.
        Glad you enjoyed it.

4. Garrison Hall says:

5. nwtex says:

Look at this man! I can’t imagine!! Dear Jesus thank you for wrapping your merciful arms around him. May your precious Holy Spirit guide him. And all the others, of course.
    ~~~

Cave rescue: The Australian diving doctor who stayed with the boys
    39 minutes ago

Dr Richard Harris spent three days underground with the young Thais and their coach

… relief and celebration were suddenly cut short by personal tragedy – on Wednesday it emerged that Dr Harris’s father had died shortly after the rescue’s finish.

6. nwtex says:

Judge orders Manafort moved to jail closer to upcoming trials, but defense objects
    Jul 10, 2018, 7:45 PM ET

7. nimrodman says:

Big explosions for your idle viewing pleasure.
    Couple Aloha Snackbars. Couple chemical plants. That kinda thing.

• nwtex says:

WOW! That’s serious business. I’ll have to continue watching tomorrow. Kinda scared me when the earth shook at the 4 min mark. 😲
      Run for the hills…IF there are any left that is.

• piper567 says:

idle viewing pleasure.
      sure ’nuff.
      Thanks nimrod.

• olderwiser21 says:

Wow! Those rockets that fail to launch are bad news! Scary stuff!

• Dave says:

Absolutely mesmerizing! This kind of power should never be allowed to fall into my hands. Just being truthful!

• czarowniczy says:

May I suggest the Arc Light missions? Technically it’s not a single explosion but in reality you can’t count them. Vietnam, early ’68, cells of B-52s each dropping 50,000 pounds of conventional iron bombs. Depending on how close you are the earth shakes – you could get bounced off of ‘foxhole’ walls, the breath gets knocked out of you and you have problems hearing for a while afterwards. Tons of trees, rocks, bomb parts and God knows what else fly overhead but you’re generally too biusy trying to dig into the earth another inch.

• nimrodman says:

whoa – those air-vapor shockwaves are impressive

• czarowniczy says:

Especially when they’re washing over you. You see one and you never forget it – you see one being delivered and you feel sorry for the folks being splattered even though they were trying to zap you just minutes before.

• boogywstew says:

Is the biggest man made explosion in history in this video? Tsara Bomba?

8. nwtex says:

Re the fool who stole the MAGA cap from the young man at Whataburger.
    ~~~

“Leftists Start, Then Quickly Delete GoFundMe Campaign for Kino Jimenez”

Fundraiser by Michael Gabriel : Help Kino Jimenez – GoFundMe
    3 days ago – The san antonio antifascist action has set up this go fund me for Kino Jimenez to help hom with legal and financial aid after he was arrested …

Now —>
    “Campaign Not Found”
    “We’re sorry, but the campaign link you entered cannot be found.”

• nimrodman says:

GoFundMe kinda doesn’t want to support funds for criminals, which this guy is.

7.campaigns deemed by GoFundMe, in its sole discretion, to be in support of, or for the legal defense of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism, or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, or serious disabilities or diseases;

• nimrodman says:

Ok, it’s entirely because they were black, huh?

The fact that they were seen not delivering newspapers but RETRIEVING newspapers had nothing to do with it huh?

Walking up to houses empty handed and departing with something in hand.

Not suspicious at all, right?

Entirely because they were black.

Uh huh.

Seems like there’s a new offense in our country, it’s called “complaining while white”

Unfortunately, Uriah had delivered the papers to the wrong homes, and had to go back and pick them up again. Watching from her window, a woman saw the young boy collecting the papers again and called police to report suspicious activity.

Woman calls cops on a black 12-year-old boy delivering newspapers in Ohio neighborhood, telling police, ‘it just seemed kind of suspicious’

9. nwtex says:

• Janie M. says:

nwtex, what was especially disconcerting was the statement from the physician who said it was a “surgical” blade and the possibility it was tainted: “…contamination, HIV, hepatitis b, c.”

• nwtex says:

OMgosh. I didn’t go to the link so I didn’t know that. Well, I’m just going to hold on to a good thought. Having said that there sure are way too many unstable ppl walking around.

10. nwtex says:

Be still my heart!

11. Troublemaker10 says:

12. nwtex says:

Oh, dear.

13. nwtex says:

14. nwtex says:

I love funny!!!

15. smiley says:

a little Art History…

Vincent van Gogh sold only one painting in his lifetime…it resides now in The Pushkin Museum, Moscow…

Red Vineyards at Arles (oil, ca 1888)

yet, he and Picasso and Andy Warhol are the most represented on the list of Most Expensive Paintings…

in fact, van Gogh set the record for Most Expensive Painting in 1987 with the sale of his Vase of Fifteen Sunflowers (oil, 1888) which sold for $39.7 million (today that would be $73.8 million)…

the sale of that painting ushered in a new era in the history of high prices paid for paintings.

yet…while he lived, he sold only one.

incidentally, the current record for the Most Expensive Painting goes to Leonardo da Vinci…

Salvator Mundi (Savior of the World)

oil/canvas, ca 1500

sold for $450.3 million at Christie’s, 2017

🙂

16. smiley says:

FYI..as a follow-up to the Art History post, here’s the List of Most Expensive Paintings sold, to date…

Vincent van Gogh is represented there 10 times.

and here’s the story about the whopping sale of Salvator Mundi…

one word : irony

17. smiley says:

Anastasia Again…The Evidence Is Convincing

July 9, 2018

Eugenia Smetisko (Eugenia Smith) claims to be the presumed-dead Grand Duchess Anastasia Romanov…

according to the article…

“The facial matches…are the strongest supports for the authenticity of Smith’s claims to be the grand duchess, absent DNA evidence.”

more at the link.

a fascinating mystery.

🙂

18. Dora says:

‘Emerald City’ watercolor by Steve Klinkel

19. smiley says:

What They’re Not telling You About The BREXIT Sell-Out…

Paul Joseph Watson, July 9, 2018

love that guy.

20. Update for anyone who saw this. I need to research this more. It is definitely a story. I found more out about the person and their past. I thought at first it was just some random guy at DoS but it turns out his backstory is very interesting. And ironic. I did message Sundance earlier but he had already unplugged for the night.

I have a stomachache and couldn’t sleep. ugh

21. Dora says:

This is so sad. It truly is.

22. nimrodman says:

Germany again unsafe for Jews.
    France as well, from articles I’ve read, and likely several other European nations too.

‘Brutalised Climate’: Germany to Combat Rise in Bullying of Jewish Students

• nimrodman says:

… ah, they’re hiring “anti-bullying experts”, as if it’s your garden-variety bullying problem.

Uh-uh.
      It’s different this time, Deutschlanders.
      Figure it out.

Or stop pretending, is probably more on-point.

“A sharp rise in attacks on Jewish students in the German school system has prompted authorities to recruit 170 anti-bullying experts to combat the problem.”

23. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

24. Donna in Oregon says:

.If you’re based in North America, you’ll have to travel to see the blood moon on July 27. Here’s where to go.

A total lunar eclipse is happening on the night of July 27, and it will last 1 hour and 43 minutes, making it the longest lunar eclipse to take place this century. But if you want to see it in person, you’ll have to leave North America, since no part of the eclipse will be visible in the United States, Canada, or Mexico (unless you’re watching a livestream).

The Longest Lunar Eclipse of the Century Is Happening in July

25. getfitnow says:

“Diversity is Racism.” #walkaway.

26. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.”
    Psalms 9:10 (KJV)

27. Does Mark, who drew that very sweet drawing for me, have an account here? I don’t have wordpress so I can’t use alerts but I will be back later on to check replies. Thanks!

28. smiley says:

A Socialist Mexico : Threat To American Security ?

July 5, 2018

adios, Acapulco

• czarowniczy says:

Seriously, was it ever a successful state? Even close?

• smiley says:

well…as far as tourism (imo)…it used to be an ok place to visit…in certain areas, like Acapulco…other places, too.

so, in that respect, it hadn’t exactly “failed” yet..at least compared to Venezuela…and compared to what’s it’s turned into over the past 30-40 yrs and getting worse…much worse…by the day…drug crime, rampant corruption etc..

and now…after the recent “election”…well….it can only get worse.

no tourist in his/her right mind would venture into that, these days…and tourism was just about all it had to keep it from being a total fail.

• czarowniczy says:

I was thinking ‘failed’ as in a productive and civilized state. Even Uganda under Amin had some nice restaurants.

• smiley says:

well…again…way back in the 70s, as I recall, it was relatively “safe” for Americans to live there, in certain areas, if you were really careful and didn’t look for trouble…not Mexico City, however.

and if you were able to also help provide either some sort of work…gardener, laundress, cook, trail guide (lol)…or spend American dollars freely.

they produced art, music, clothing, great silver jewelry at unbelievably low prices…also beautiful leather goods…and beautiful pottery.

Puerto Vallarta was romantic, very laid-back and beautiful…beyond just nice restaurants.

nothing like Uganda, but I get your point. 🙂

• czarowniczy says:

We did some work in Yucatan and the dope business, ‘specially as heroin processing, was spinning up,decades ago. We also installed some old radar batteries in the US Southwest to capture planes coming out of Mexico through the valleys along the border.
              Had Mexico’s ‘civilazation’ quotiant increased as fast as the cartel’s have advanced there wouldn’t have been a problem but it seems a lot of the Mex gov’s efforts have gone into ‘other’ things.
              Mexico’s not a basd vacay spot and even though touristas have been harmed by bad booze and food contamination and crime issues we’re assured that it ain’t all that bad in comparison to the total number of tourists that come there. I just still see it as a huge Disney World with a Westworld (1973 version) side park, not so much as a functional country. OK, a ‘functional’ country if the Clintons had created it…

• smiley says:

the west coast of Mexico was very very different from the eastern side, Yucatan areas..that Club Med/Disney World style wasn’t on the western side so much..I’ve never been to the eastern side…no idea what those areas are like now..Puerto Vallarta has no doubt become a tourist trap nightmare rife with everything we hate.

the drug problem has always been an issue…but the rampant murdering drug cartels and that FEAR FACTOR was not present 30-40 yrs ago…crime was bad, just like anywhere in the Caribbean…but it wasn’t the hell-scape it’s become.

Belize was also really nice at one time…beautiful water.

but then.. everything is wonderful when you’re 25, right ? 🙂

• czarowniczy says:

Belieze is/was great, we went there to eyeball a few airfields being used by druggies but the Brits still keep a pretty close eye on the country.

I just ain’t a Mexico fan. I spent way too much time doing counter drug with Mexico to thibk of it in any other terms. It ain’t my idea of a functional country but we can afree on Belieze…and maybe Costa Rica.

29. Hoop says:

18 seconds –

why CCW works. in one of the best examples on video –

Why the Second Amendment MAKES AMERICA GREAT!!

video/1

30. Dora says:

I was born in Weehawken and spent my first years there.

I remember my Dad taking me to the site of the duel and trying to explain what happened there.

As a three year old, I had a hard time understanding. 🙂

31. packysite says:

so does lack of export opportunities to China mean an oil glut here and stable or falling prices here in USA?
    If so……Winning…..for USA….. consumers!!

32. BigMamaTEA says:

On senate tee-vee…..Rhinos on the move!!

Toomey-Corker-and Flake are pushing a “motion to instruct” for a vote. Now, this has no real power, but will give them a “feel” for the support they might have.
    It is an attempt to begin to claw back power previously given by congress to the Executive branch.

Listening to the above 3 names plead their case….It’s apparent they do not understand what Trump is doing with negotiations and utilizing tariffs and threats of tariffs to negotiate.

Sen. David Perdue (R-GA) spoke against this most eloquently, as he himself has been an International business man.

• nikkichico7 says:

Hi 🖐😃❗️BigMama

My husband and I received our absentee ballots in the mail, he has his ballot filled out and in th sealed envelope (nuts) …. old hag stebenow is running unchallenged on the democratic slate …. 😖😡 …

I looked over the republican slate … for governor, I know President Trump wants Schutte … I need to read up on him
      The other ones running are
      Brian Calley
      Patrick Colbeck, and
      Jim Hines

I’ll be doing a lot of searching before I fill in those little circles …. 🤨

🙂👍❗️

33. Dora says:

34. psychodave says:

Newbie question:
    I’ve read references to “pages” when scrolling through the comments. How does a comment reader know which page that person is currently on?

35. David says:

oh man did anyone else see the beat down Thomas Homan delivered All. Show. Long. to Maria Harf on the Fox lunch hour news show?
    I was flipping around, and saw Homan, and thought I’d listen in…it was flabbergasting just how bad he curb-stomped that woman…repeatedly…

• auscitizenmom says:

Yes. Wasn’t it just delicious. That liberal woman acts like she is all knowing and inserts known false info into every conversation aggressively. She is fighting all the time to keep her cool. She is getting closer and closer to losing it and almost did yesterday because others wouldn’t let her interrupt them to keep them from saying the truth.

36. czarowniczy says:

Woo Hoo! Israel announces it will launch a moon landing mission early next year, planning on a February landing! Palestinian Authority says it will aim for regular garbage pickup and clearing the streets of goats and chickens by someting in late 2025.

That’s one small schlep for mentsh!

37. Cisco says:

🇮🇱 Am Yisrael Chai! 🇮🇱

38. nikkichico7 says:

Psalm 19:1-2 (NKJV)
    The Perfect Revelation of the Lord
    To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
    19 The heavens declare the glory of God;
    And the firmament[a] shows His handiwork.
    2 Day unto day utters speech,
    And night unto night reveals knowledge.

Hebrews 4:16 (NKJV)
    16 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

🌹

39. webgirlpdx says:

Great Day in Oregon! The Hammonds return to Burns:

And ICE protesters in downtown Portland are pepper sprayed by Fed police.

Great day to be an American!

40. NYGuy54 says:

Life is a bit strange sometimes. Just found out one of America’s greatest conservative historians, Richard Brookhiser, and I went to HS together. And he remembers me.

41. Tom says:

WWG1WGA

42. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

For what it’s worth, now being reported in the New York Slimes that the defacto head of the Justice Department, Rod Rosensteen, has requested “in an email sent this week to the nation’s 93 United States attorneys, asking each office to provide up to three federal prosecutors ‘who can make this important project a priority for the next several weeks.’ Names were to be submitted to Mr. Rosenstein’s office by the end of Wednesday.” That’s not their job and it’s not the job of Rosie to ask them to do it. Once again the guy is sticking his nose into places it doesn’t belong. RR the boss wannabe is out of control.

43. nikkichico7 says:

This popped up in my heart a little while ago and I wanted to share it. This song brings back memories for me …

🌹