Tuesday May 22nd – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

188 Responses to Tuesday May 22nd – Open Thread

1. Minnie says:

St. Michael the Archangel,
    defend us in battle.
    Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
    May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
    and do thou,
    O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
    by the power of God,
    thrust into hell Satan,
    and all the evil spirits,
    who prowl about the world
    seeking the ruin of souls.

In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

2. Grandma Covfefe says:

May the Lord protect and Bless President Trump and his MAGA Team today.

3. 4beagles says:

Winter has ended, war carries on.

4. Garrison Hall says:

• DanO64 says:

When ever I feel like I just have had enough, I come to the open thread to calm down. That sound brought tears to my eyes. It’s a long story.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

I do the same thing, coming here, Dan. May the Lord Bless you and give you peace of the heart today. (crazy world out there)

(Jesus said) “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”

John 14:27

Open Thread is a place of true refuge.

• Garrison Hall says:

” . . . the hold that she had was much stronger than the love the had for me . . . That says so much about doomed relationships. 🙂

• New Nonna Again!!! says:

🌸💖😊

5. Lucille says:

31 Colorized Historical Photos That Will Change How You Feel About The American Civil War

• 4beagles says:

I enjoyed that
      Didn’t change my feelings.
      Other than I’d wish I’d been a maker of uniforms that were more stealthy.
      Close combat woodsy stuff, ya know.

Was there ever blood on the snow?
      Seems like war slowed down for winter,
      or perhaps my memory gas grown slow. ?

• Tegan says:

I think the Confederate uniforms were made with cotton…many near Augusta, Ga. in a town that no longer exists. Same with the Confederate money…and why it’s still found today. One of the reasons for the “burn and destroy” march of Sherman’s army in that part of the country was to cut off the supply of cotton.
        The last battle the Cinfederates won was right in that area.

• Kenji says:

You’re right! It changed how I think about Frederick Douglas … I now think he dressed like a PIMP of the day with a gold lame’ bow tie, and matching brightly colored gold lame’ accents.

• PatriotGalNC says:

I enjoyed this. I taught myself how to hand-tint black & white photographs years ago, with special paints for the very purpose, by a company called Marshall. I would have my b & w photos (taken with a Ricoh 35mm camera) and have them developed on matte photo paper. Then, I would sit for hours and “paint”. The process was mesmerizing, in that…the subject(s) of the photo would all of a sudden “come alive” right in front of me. It was thrilling! I haven’t thought about this in a long time. I may get out my Marshall paints and dig out some old photos! Anyway, I enjoyed this, Lucille. I loved the music too.

• Lucille says:

How fun that you learned how to hand-tint. It’s a lovely hobby to keep up. Prior to the 1960s photographers did that a lot on high school/college graduation photos. Mine and my sister’s are tinted.

The computer colorization on this series is particularly well-done.

• PatriotGalNC says:

I agree! I liked watching each black&white image and then waiting for the color image to come through. It made me think of my hobby of tinting years back! I would also take photos and decide that I would only tint certain subjects in the photo. Once, my husband and I took a photo of some friends who were/are Harley motorcycle folks. We took a photo of them parked in a field in front of some trees. (This was in Texas, so the trees were not tall! Lol!) Anyway, they liked one particular photo of that shoot. I made two copies of that same photo, and tinted THEM and their motorcycle in one of the photos, and then on the other one, I only tinted the landscape around them. Then, I had the photos framed next to each other. The effect was amazing. They still have this frame in their hallway. It makes me so happy that they still like this! OH, also, when I mentioned “painting” these photos…I realized a bit after posting that the term was not “painting”…it was TINTING. Anyway…I enjoyed your post very much, and has given me inspiration to go up to my studio and FIND my Marshall photo tinting paints!

6. TDU_Weight says:

No words….

7. citizen817 says:

8. Y’all, buy a bag of coffee from Black Rifle Coffee Company, they will send a bag of coffee to deployed Troops! Offer good thru May 25th. I contacted the Company to make sure it was bag for bag not for every “order”….yep bag for bag was the response.

You buy 2 bags in your order, 2 bags to deployed Troops; 4 bags in your order, 4 bags to deployed Troops!! For those unfamiliar, BRCC is SOF Combat Veteran owned, hiring Veterans is their Mission!

9. F.D.R. in Hell says:

• Too Real says:

New sign on the doors to Starbucks’ rest rooms: “Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to pee free.”

• allhail2 says:

It’ll last about a month. Once the restrooms turn into toxic train wrecks and actual customers have nowhere to sit and are constantly hit up and harassed for money, it’ll change.

• Kenji says:

Ha! When hipsters MEET the homeless. What a WONDERFUL way to convert leftist hipsters to conservatism. Their NIMBY policies (here in CA) have created a housing shortage and ridiculously inflated prices. It’s only FAIR they should encounter the homeless they’ve created through their elitist policies.

Shocking as it may be … I actually AGREE with the gay, baptist, liberation-theological preacher who just SLAMMED the elitist enclave of Palo Alto, CA
      He and I will obviously differ in what the solutions will be … but he NAILED the aloof, useless virtue-signaling, elitist eco-leftists of the SF Bay Area. The most self-deluded people in the history of the world.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

(That was just virtue-signaling self-flaggelation; he is a “process theology” non-Christian “Christian” who cannot bring himself to break from the Baptist mantle of his childhood.)

• Kenji says:

THAT’S the word for it !! “process theology” … where every literal word of the beatitudes is preached as a bludgeon … but every other part of Christ’s life, words, death, and resurrection are ignored (if not outright denied).

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Starbucks’ll be turned into a “soup kitchens”. Good luck with that, Starbucks shareholders.

10. bessie2003 says:

The link is a series of photos, scrolling down past the dialogue on the blog it’s really something to see an Eagle stealing a rabbit from the mouth of a fox. The look on the fox’s face after it’s over, stunned! Kind of a metaphor of the Eagle (POTUS) removing the prey (the Forgotten American) from the mouth of the predator (fox).

Here is a link to the blog with the photo sequence:

• Minnie says:

Amen!

Thank you, Lucille, saved this lovely prayer.

• Lucille says:

You’re welcome, Minnie. A right-to-the-point prayer. A friend of mine called these “arrow prayers”–aiming quick, non-elaborate prayers to God throughout the day.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Funny…. I call them ‘right to the point’ prayer myself, but Arrow Prayer is perfect….swish…
          Thank you, Lucille.

11. Donna in Oregon says:

I wrote President Trump a Thank-you email because he deserves one for putting up with all the idiots in Washington DC.

12. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

Here’s a reminder that we are at #WAR with the anti-American democrats in politics, the media and academia.

13. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Somebody tell JoeDan about Health Ranger Mike Adams answer to Utube censorship.

And this article by Mike Adams with an epic rant.
    Health Ranger unleashes epic rant against tech giants’ censorship and attempted extermination of independent voices

I think he is right.
    The goal of the authoritarian tech giants is the complete extermination of all conservative voices from the internet.

“Their ultimate goal, of course, is the actual (physical) extermination of conservatives through mass arrests, mass mass murder and the rounding up of any who oppose left-wing authoritarian tyranny. This is what communist / Marxist revolutions always look like. They start by silencing and marginalizing non-leftists, and they complete the takeover through mass murder and the criminalization of non-compliant individuals.”

14. Agnes Goh in NZ says:

The Royal Family are all Indian 😀

15. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

After April’s tornado hit part of Virginia, now there is mudslides.
    Vinton area family opens up about landslide destroying home

VINTON, Va. (WDBJ7) – A Vinton area family is opening up about what it was like being inside their home that was pushed off its foundation by a landslide Friday morning.

Julie and Tim Trettner still wonder how they made it out safely.

“I think that God has another purpose for us that he delivered us from this house for a reason,” said Julie Trettner.

The couple woke up in a complete state of confusion early Friday morning.

“You felt the rumbling, you knew it was the bricks, the soil it was coming through our house,” said Trettner.

After a night of heavy rain, a massive amount of dirt knocked into their house with such force it knocked it off its foundation.

The second story of their home now hangs not far from the ground.

“Me and Julie knew in a millisecond exactly what it was. Not only did I know what it was but the enormity, it wasn’t a little bit of dirt, it was the whole mountain,” said Tim Trettner.

They shouted for their son, fearing the worst. “We didn’t hear his voice,” Julie Tretnner said, her voice quivering.

But then they heard his voice through the darkness.

“Tim said Nicholas can you please come down the steps, he said ‘there are no steps.”

Their son climbed down what was left of the staircase and together they climbed through an opening where a brick wall had been.

“To come back out and to look at what is left is just shock,” said Julie Trettner.

They’ve lost a lot, but now neighbors like Tommy FiGart want to help.

“It’s important to have friends and people around you that are willing to step up and support,” said FiGart.

He’s set up a fund through his church for the family.

“If everybody just gives a little, we chip away and do what we can to help the family.”

Just in the past two days, the church has raised $1,500 for the family.

• Happy go lucky says:

Blue Ridge, greetings from B’Burg, I’ve wondered if we are “neighbors “. What a terrifying moment for the Trettner family, so glad they made it out safely.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Update on this story. Roanoke law firm raises more than $17k for employee after home destroyed by landslide
      ROANOKE COUNTY, Va. (WDBJ7) – Donations continue to pour in for a family whose home was crushed by a landslide in the Vinton area of Roanoke County last week after a night of heavy rain.

Julie and Tim Trettner lost everything when a massive amount of dirt knocked into their house with such force it knocked it off its foundation.

Now two separate funds have been collecting donations for the family to have a fresh start. One was started by the Trettner’s next door neighbor Tommy FiGart through his church Grace Family Church.

Another fundraiser , a GoFundMe page, has been launched by an employee at Julie Trettner’s work, where she is a paralegal at the law firm Woods Rogers PLC.

In just five days, the GoFundMe fundraiser has raised more than $17,000.

“Minutes after hearing the news, we knew we wanted to do something that would actually help Julie and her family,” said Chip Casola in an email.

“In addition to sending food and internally offering support we knew a GoFundMe page would allow individuals outside of our network a chance to help out.”

According to Casola, Julie’s friend and colleague Linda Hogan came up with the idea to start a GoFundMe page and they had it set up and ready to go by noon on Friday.

“The page has reached some early success but we still have a lot more to do, in order to reach our goal.”

16. Dora says:

JMW Turner – “Fisherman at Sea” (1796)

17. Deplorable_Infidel says:

The Faith Of Jesus Christ

“…the righteousness of God… by [the] faith of Jesus Christ, unto all and upon all them that believe” (Rom. 3:22).

Note, the Apostle Paul here does not refer to faith in Christ, but the faith of Christ. Nor does he refer to what Christ believed, but rather to His worthiness to be believed, His fidelity, His trustworthiness.

We must not forget that faith is a reciprocal matter; it is two-sided. One side is objective; it believes in another. The other is subjective; it is a trustworthy character. One refers to what a person does; the other to what he is. If I have faith in you, you should keep faith with me; you should be trustworthy.

Seven times in St. Paul’s epistles he refers to “the faith of Christ” and each time his purpose is to emphasize our Lord’s worthiness of our complete confidence. That he does not refer to our faith in Christ is evident on the surface in each case. In the passage above he declares that the righteousness of God, which is “by the faith of Christ,” is conferred “upon all them that believe” (Here’s your faith in Him).

Similarly, in Gal. 3:22 he states that “the Scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise, by faith of Jesus Christ, might be given to “them that believe.” Here again, we believe because He is worthy of our confidence.

Again in Phil. 3:9, the Apostle expresses his desire for a righteousness not of his own, “but that which is through the faith of Christ” — and then adds: “the righteousness which is of God by faith.” Here’s man’s faith again! He has faith in Christ because Christ is completely faithful, completely worthy to be believed in. He paid the full penalty for our sins and is now in heaven dispensing the merits of Calvary — riches of grace, mercy and forgiveness.

But remember, “the faith of Christ” always precedes our faith in Christ. What good would it do us to believe in Him for salvation if He were not wholly to be relied upon for this? But He can be trusted “to save… to the uttermost [all] who come unto God by Him” (Heb. 7:25). This is why Paul could say to the terrified jailor at Philippi:

“Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved” (Acts 16:31).

By Pastor Cornelius R. Stam

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

compare the new versions of the bible vs the King James version and see how many times the faith OF Christ has been changes to IN .. thereby the spirit of error is introduced and promulgated.. -J.H. Erie, PA
      ——————————————–
      2Co 2:17  For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ

Galatians 3:22  But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe

WORDS MATTER! Every version (including the NKJV) has changed the word “of” to the word “in”, thus changing the meaning of the verse. It is Christ’s faith, NOT our faith in him that the verse intends to convey. – MM, Buffalo, NY

• TheLastDemocrat says:

So, we must all follow KJV ONLY, since it is the ONLY one that does not deny that Jesus is God? Please say what you mean. Where does the rubber hit the road?

In my NIV and ESV, Jesus is God. Part of the holy trinity.

18. citizen817 says:

19. Dora says:

When I went to school, we couldn’t even have dreamed up stuff like this!

20. amwick says:

I figured out how the Big Ugly got it’s name…

How else would you catch bad guys in a swamp??? You use a big big fishing pole, of course..

This became apparent to me while I was, in fact, fishing… 🙂 Don’t tell anyone, I think SD wants to keep it code, just between us… woot woot.

Happy Tuesday peeps…

21. duchess01 says:

22. Sweet baby Easter Peewee update💖💕💖
    Bleary eyed I took my Covfefe in my Black Rifle Coffee mug and sat on the retaining wall on our patio….previously the meal worms had been dispensed in the feeders….

I look up and there is Jr., his ruffled little head so adorable, sitting on the gutter. “Come on lil fella”, I said, “dont be scared. Remember what I told you, dont be afraid, be tough, be Trump tough!!!” So we chatted a bit, him in all his adorableness so close to me, looking all around, unafraid of my presence so close to him

….flutter down to the ground where some worms had fallen, unafraid, just sat there and ate his worm while I talked to him, then another…God’s sweetness and warmth is all around, always💖💖💖
    He has painted me some beautiful skies the last several days…All I need to do is to remember to keep looking up….Have a blessed day Treepers🇺🇸💖🇺🇸

23. getfitnow says:

FTA – The idea is floated frequently that the still nameless Russian collusion scandal is “worse than Watergate.” It may well be, but that comparison overlooks a more useful parallel.

The gold standard of government conspiracy remains the investigation into the July 1996 crash of TWA Flight 800 off the south coast of Long Island. The ensuing cover-up involved many of the same players as in the Russia conspiracy and for the same immediate goal: to secure a presidential election for a Clinton.

As with the Russia scandal, not all the collaborators in the TWA 800 case were equally motivated or equally powerful. The White House drove the conspiracy through its Justice Department. The CIA executed it without conscience. The FBI grudgingly yielded to the CIA. And the New York Times dutifully reported what the FBI whispered in its reporters’ ears.

• Deplorable_Infidel says:

“The ensuing cover-up involved many of the same players as in the Russia conspiracy and for the same immediate goal: to secure a presidential election for a Clinton.”

That is why Dan Bongino is always stressing “Remember the names”, in your example they are agencies rather than individuals. That “American Thinker” website is a daily goldmine. I probably would have never found it, if not for CTH.

24. smiley says:

good article…sums it all up…

Spies Like Obama ?

May 21, 2018

the treachery comes to light.

filthy to the core

25. Conservative TreeFrog says:
  26. Conservative TreeFrog says:

27. Conservative TreeFrog says:

• BigMamaTEA says:

I’m a member of Judicial Watch. They have so many irons in the fire, it’s amazing. They also work closely with True the Vote on this Election Integrity Project.

Thanks for posting Conservative TreeFrog

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Thanks.
      Were population estimates done by Current Population Survey (the each-year shorter version of the Census) for the same year? The census is done only once a decade. Between censuses, they take different sources of data to guess what the trend is, including by race/ethnicity, and make projections year by year for the following 9 years.

So, a very telling problem would be a state with a declining population that has a growing voter population.

California could simply be growing faster than the projections used to estimate the population. So, it would be cool to see some more in-depth analysis pinning this Californian voter number on something other than population growth.

Pop growth could be discerned by looking at things such as annual births. And, if those data are not available, then the number of Medicaid-funded births. Or, by year-by-year trend in number of issued driver licenses.

28. duchess01 says:

10 Healing superfoods you can easily grow in your garden
    May 22, 2018

29. Conservative TreeFrog says:

fbid=10156459683366564&set=a.10150302768196564.337783.521046563&type=3

30. Dora says:

When I was young, my aunt took me there for lunch. She told me it was a famous restaurant. I wasn’t very impressed.

31. 6x47 says:

Egads – listening to Breitbart News Daily. Regular caller “Cindy in Florida” is on AGAIN. She’s a “grassroots activist” and is always a fountain of gloom and despair: “Florida’s turning blue; where are the Republicans? TEA Party … blah blah blah.”

I admire her efforts, but she’s a real downer.

• 6x47 says:

When I was in sales, a person who talked like “Cindy in Florida” was called a “cancer” and the woeful, demotivating gab was referred to as “p*ssing up my leg.” Just defeatism and self pity.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Is this a regular call in show, the one on Sirius? If it is call them and tell them. Or through the website, you can probably get a message to the Radio people.

32. MTeresa says:

Prayer for the Nation:
    God our Father, Thou guidest everything in wisdom and love. Accept the prayers we offer for our nation; by the wisdom of our leaders and integrity of our citizens, may harmony and justice be secured and may there be lasting prosperity and peace. Through Christ our Lord.
    Amen.

33. F.D.R. in Hell says:

A hacker’s tool? Yes. Read on…

34. Lucille says:

BREAKING: Ohio Teachers Union Presidents Defend “physical, sexual, verbal” Abuse of Children
    veritasvisuals YouTube channel

35. BigMamaTEA says:

I’m sure everyone is anxiously awaiting an update from senate tee-vee…..HA!

So, today, the Senate CONFIRMED Dana Baiocco to be Chair of the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Y – 50 – N – 45.

Also, the senate voted Y-91 – N – 4 to Invoke Cloture on the Motion to Concur with a House Amendment on bill S.2372 .Motion AGREED to. Now 30 hr. debate before actual vote.

Now, in all fairness to those no voters, they did not think we should have 30 more hours of debate on this subject, it should just go to a vote. **Lee (R-UT) Merkley (D-OR) Rounds (R-SD) Sanders (I-VT)

• BigMamaTEA says:

Let me modify that 4 no votes. For sure I know Lee and Rounds , both R’s wanted to go on and vote today without any more debate, they said so this morning on senate tee-vee.

Merkley and or Sanders might have the hold up. All it takes is for one of the Demonrat party to protest anything and Schmuckles gives in and makes TurtleHead take the Cloture vote (30 hours more debate)

36. BigMamaTEA says:

continue from above…….The Senate originated the original bill S2372, called the “VA MISSION Act of 2018” introduced by Sen. Isakson, Johnny [R-GA] back in February, to fix the so-called Choice Act, which is apparently NOT Working.

It’s been batted back and forth between the Chambers and their committees until now. Yesterday the Senate approved the final change from the House ,(which is to require the VA to ensure concrete vaults are used in National Parks. (that’s been pretty much SOP for the public for many years!)

Anyway,( here is the bill they will vote with additional requirement on the concrete vaults) on tomorrow .

Treeper Vets who use the VA: https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s2372/BILLS-115s2372eah.pdf
    It’s a little over 200 pages, and seems to be commonly called the “Mission Act” on the senate floor.

Here’s the 5 who did not vote today: Bennet (D-CO) Cardin (D-MD) Duckworth (D-IL) Gardner (R-CO) & McCain (R-AZ) (who is either dying or in hiding.

37. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Supplies Headed to Space Station

The craft holds a cement-mixing experiment, as well as an atom-cooling chamber.

In this photo made from NASA video, the Orbital/ATK Cygnus CRS-9 sits on top of an Antares rocket as it launches from NASA’s Wallops Flight Facility, Monday morning, May 21, 2018, in Virginia

NASA via AP

“CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — One of NASA’s prime shippers, Orbital ATK, launched a fresh load of supplies to the International Space Station from Virginia on Monday.

The Antares rocket blasted off from Wallops Island before dawn, treating early risers along the East Coast to a cosmic light show, at least where skies were clear. The area of visibility stretched from New England to the Carolinas, and as far inland as Pittsburgh and Charlotte….”

38. TheLastDemocrat says:

New topic: you know, it is sad to hear that this guy died, but it sounds like he deserved the scorn he had gotten in recent years – despite what this woman, who imagines herself as a friend of his, says. He sounds like his life was just like many Progressives: deep “love” and “concern” for Humanity, but hated People. Either way: Thanks for the iconic “LOVE” stamps!

39. BigMamaTEA says:

On, and one other thing regarding the congress-criminals….Since Memorial Day will be coming this next Mon. 28th, our congrees-criminals will be taking another approx. 2 week vacay. They are scheduled (pending change) to adjourn on Thurs night the 24th, and return on June 6th.