Wednesday April 18th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

227 Responses to Wednesday April 18th – Open Thread

1. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

2. Cathy M. says:

Unbelievable. Now the Left is challenging POTUS Constitutional right to grant to grant Sheriff Arpaio’s pardon!
    Of course, it was filed in the 9th Circuit.

3. nikkichico7 says:

Psalm 121 King James Version (KJV)

121 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.

2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.

3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.

4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.

5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.

6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.

8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

🌹🇺🇸

4. patrickhenrycensored says:

Cat walks 12 miles back to family — who then asks shelter to euthanize him

5. BigMamaTEA says:

6. F.D.R. in Hell says:

From tonight’s HANNITY program on FOX…

7. Deplorable_Infidel says:

Tonight’s Tipping Points: Christianity, North Korea, & Sanctuary Cities!

One America News network is a national TV news network airing on Verizon Fios, channel 116. AT&T U-verse, channel 208, and CenturyLink prism, channel 209. We also stream on Amazon Fire TV, Roku, and Vivicast Media Channel 16. OANN is a new credible source for national and international headlines. An independent, cutting edge platform for political discussions.

8. BigMamaTEA says:

9. leebelieu says:

Guess It’s a little random but is KJ Bible a good buy? I read it younger and have a couple different bibles but I was wanting it for the writing style. Is it a fairly good translation and somewhat close to what was written in (Greek?) I’m not sure if my question is phrased right. Thanks in advance for any insight.

• JSBachLover says:

Replying to leebelieu:

It’s not a bad thing to own, but not as your only Bible or the one your read most. Because, no, it’s not close to the original manuscripts in many, many instances — and of course the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered centuries after the KJV was written in the early 17th c. There are quite a few instances of mistranslation in it.

It’s a great version for the sheer beauty of the old English language, but the English language has changed a lot in 400 years. As far as comprehension of the text, it’s not easy, and now and then misleading, especially for people who are no longer exposed to Shakespeare’s English (same era) in school.

I’m always amazed, frankly, at how many people still seem to be using the KJV when they quote the Bible. For deep reading comprehension and Bible study why not use a straightforward modern translation? — of which there are at least several very good ones, the ESV (English Standard Version) being at or near the top of the list; and the NIV (New International) as well. And there are a couple of others.

• leebelieu says:

That’s the answer I was looking for, thanks! I have a military edition and an official Catholic Bible (New American Version I think). I was wondering how different it’d be from those. We read it and Shakespeare when I was in school and I remember it being flowery I guess is the word I’d use. I’ll check if the ones you listed are much different from mine, have to check the version of the military one. Guess it can’t really hurt to have another lol. Sorry for the ramble and thanks again.

• JSBachLover says:

You’re welcome. (I’m curious about your military edition. I would think it is a specific, no doubt modern, translation, but “packaged” for military personnel? It likely says somewhere in the front what version of the Bible it actually is. You might want to look for that. The main difference between a Catholic Bible and other versions would be the inclusion in the Catholic Bible of the Apocrypha — a handful of additional books that Protestants have recognized as “worthy to be read” but not recognized as part of the established “biblical canon.”

No, it can’t hurt to have another Bible. 😉 I’ve lost count how many versions I have! (Among them, I have at least two NIVs — one the church gave us when my husband and I got married; the other, leather-bound, I got from the publisher when I wrote a freelance story, some years ago, about the making of the NIV). I’m not a Catholic but I do have a Catholic version as well. My husband and I read the entire Bible through every year, which we started about five years ago, so we alternate versions each year, which is very interesting (and helpful).

• lizzyp says:

JSBachLover, this is apropos of absolutely nothing, but your screen name reminds me of MASH when they were trying to teach Radar to be sophisticated for a date. I think they told him to say ‘ahhh, Bach’ to anything that had to do with classical music.

Regarding your actual post, what are your thoughts on the parallel Bibles?

• JSBachLover says:

🙂 I’m still smiling about that Radar/Bach reference. I used to watch MASH a fair bit, but I don’t recall that one. I’m sure if I had ever heard it, I WOULD have remembered it. Thanks for that.

Bach, not incidentally, was a devout Christian (a Lutheran), who did a lot of Bible reading and study himself (as the margin notes in his own Bible attest). He was given the moniker “The Fifth Evangelist” (after the four Gospel writers) because so much of his music encapsulates the Gospel — and specifically, his cycles of cantatas for every Sunday of the year, based on the Gospel reading for each Sunday.

Re: parallel Bibles: you mean Bibles containing several translations side by side, right? I think they’re a great study tool. I always find it interesting — and sometimes really illuminating — to know when there are slight, or occasionally more than slight, differences in how words or phrases are translated, and how that might change nuances, or amplify the meaning.

• lizzyp says:

We Lutherans are quite proud of Bach!

And yes, those were the Bibles I was talking about.

• JSBachLover says:

Well, you should be proud of Bach! THE great composer of western civilization, who has influenced virtually all others — not to mention also a lot of jazz musicians. I always say Bach is Lutherans’ patron saint. I’m an honorary Lutheran; grew up Reformed, but have been a musician in a Lutheran church for 12 years. And worked in several other Lutheran churches earlier in my career. I get to play Bach whenever I want. 🙂

(Thanks for the MASH clip, BTW.)

• leebelieu says:

The military edition is supplied by the American Bible Society. “Founded in 1816 and just one year later, we provided Bibles to crew of the USS John Adams, thus beginning a Scripture grant program to the armed services that continues to this day.” Pretty cool glad you asked I guess I never read the intro. It is a Good News Translation.
            Yes, the Apocrypha now my years of Catholic school are coming back. That’s awesome they gave you a bible for your marriage and a leather bound, I love that feel. Something official about it I guess.
            I’ve wanted to reread the Bible and share with my kids, I read it all the way through as a kid over many many Sundays when attending Mass cause I thought the priest talked too much. Guess he succeeded in getting me to know the Scripture lol. My wife bought me a French/English Bible but haven’t been able to entice her to read it. Damn, now I gotta find that one…

• JSBachLover says:

That’s interesting to know. The American Bible Society has done a lot of good work over many decades, IMO.

The Good News Bible is actually considered a paraphrase, not a translation as such, i.e., they translate into modern English for the general meaning, not word by word or even phrase by phrase. So it’s very “immediate,” but it’s somewhat looser, so to speak, than, say, the ESV or NIV.

I have a German/English Bible; or HAD. Come to think of it, I’d have to try to hunt it down also, as you said re: your French/English Bible. In fact, I had to buy it decades ago for my German class at the Christian high school I went to. It was a great way to learn more German, since the English of the passages our teacher had us read were already familiar to us.

On a slightly different tack: This related to my screen name here: I have a beautifully framed, colored- photograph facsimile of a page from Bach’s German-language Bible (the Kolov Bible), a page from the Old Testament, 2nd Chronicles, where it talks about musicians gathering together as one to praise the Lord — and on which Bach wrote personal comments in the margins. The framed piece hangs above the mantle over the fireplace, surrounded by book shelves. (It’s one of my prized possessions. And was very much worth the rather substantial cost to have it professionally matted and framed!)

10. Badger 1 says: