Wednesday February 14th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

192 Responses to Wednesday February 14th – Open Thread

1. citizen817 says:

2. 💖💖💖 Happy Valentine’s Day Treepers… God loves you and so do I 💖💖💖

3. A special Valentine for Sayit2016, love the National Association of Stick Figures💖💖💖

4. Garrison Hall says:

It’s Valentine’s day? Oops. Glad you reminded me. . . .

The BBC produced a series called the “Translantic Sessions” that featured Ameican country musicians and British Celtic performers. The sessions were filmed in remote Scotland with everybody staying in the same hotel. It was (still is, I guess) a unique idea. If you like acoustic music, it doesen’t get much better than this. At about the 17:33 point in the video, is a duet with Emmylou Harris and the late Guy Clark singing “Black Diamond Strings” which references Clark’s beginnings in Houston. The conversation between Emmylou and Guy brings out the charming and funny southern accent Emmylou usually doesn’t show. Enjoy

5. mj_inOC says:

Hey, sundance, how about an early spring at R E Lee family home?

• Jim in TN says:

I forget, was the home that the north took from Lee and turned into our nations hero’s graveyard a Lee family home, or did he get it by marriage?

6. usnveteran says:

February 13, 2018
    Posted by Ann Corcoran
    “I Will Be Watching! The Fight Of Our Lives”:

Documentary & Trailer Intro:
    ‘The Fight Of Our Lives – Defeating The Ideological War Against The West’:

7. citizen817 says:

While it may sound like a tall tale, it’s actually true; last week, the world’s tallest man met the world’s smallest woman.

Sultan Kösen is a 35-year-old Turkish man who currently holds the Guinness World Record for his height, measuring in at a whopping 8 feet 3 inches.

Jyoti Amge is a 24-year-old Indian woman who also holds a Guinness record – but for the opposite. Amge measures in at just 24.7 inches tall, making her the smallest woman in the world.

8. mj_inOC says:

Maybe consider this exquisite lady, Simmone Dinnerstein, who said, she could not play as she does until she had her son…

• millwright says:

C817 : OOHRA ! I suspect the Progressives already know when women take up arms ( hence physical equality ) their anti–gun mantra is toast !

• Michael J. Machnica says:

That’s great. Going to send to my friends in http://www.scopeny.org. Read recently that Cuomo does not want upstate NY to do good (despite TV ad propaganda) – no fracking for the economy like right across the border in PA. Immigrants flooding the NYC area means that after the next census there will be a redistricting, Then he can get the Senate in NYC demoncRATS hands and we are toast like Cali. Repubs have a 1 vote majority today.

• benzy says:

I really love that version of Dixie Chicken, but I do wish they had included the second verse. This live version only has the first and third verses. The “long” version really makes the lyric of the song make much more sense. Lowell George was a musical treasure and was gone much too soon.

• Garrison Hall says:

🙂

9. My favorite short movie … a love story well told in 15 minutes … VALIDATION

10. Lucille says:

See The City Of Angels From Impossibly Beautiful Angles

Scroll down for the Vimeo ‘City Lights,’ a short video time-lapse by Colin Rich. Hit the enlarge button for a full computer screen view. Some of the scenes such as the ones by the Pacific, are not part of the city of Los Angeles city but the city of Santa Monica, CA. L.A. always considers it to be part of the Greater Los Angeles Area regardless.

Santa Monica Pier

11. ledygrey says:

My Funny Valentine

12. smiley says:

Il Baccio (The Kiss)

1859

oil/canvas

Francesco Hayez ( 1791-1882) ~ Italian ~ leading artist of the Romanticism in Milan, mid-19th century.

on the surface, two lovers…

but this painting also was symbolic for Italy at that time…

it represents the Risorgimento…the Resurgence…or Revival…a political, cultural and social movement that consolidated and unified the new Kingdom of Italy in the 19th century.

the woman in the blue dress represents France which in 1859 (year the painting was done) made an alliance with The Kingdom of Piedmont and Sardinia which allowed the many Italian states to unify into a new Italian Kingdom.

and this is Francesco…

🙂

13. millwright says:

From the “Government Cuddles ” file : My wife just went to renew her NJ driver’s license today. We dug out all the relevant ID documents per the DMV missive and she drew them all out at DMV. What to her surprise all they wanted to see was our marriage license ! NO proof of her maiden name, current residence, etc. And this – so I’m led to believe per NJ and federal mandate – now constitutes sufficient ID to travel, board airplanes, etc per DHS standards ! Now doesn’t that give you a nice warm feeling ?

• They make us show more (valid) docs to renew licences than Obama ever had to produce to become “president”!

• amwick says:

Year back I spent a day with my mother, trying to renew her driver’s license… We ran around and around(it was NJ), and it turned out she had to get a copy of her marriage license from MN. It really ticked me off how hard they made it for an elderly woman. (Long story, but she wasn’t even really driving then, she just wanted to have it)
      Now think about what CA is doing… makes you wanna just spit in anger.

• Michael J. Machnica says:

What galls me is the hypocrisy. No ID to vote because that is racist, etc., yet you need ID to get into a demoncRAT event.

• maiingankwe says:

It took me about two months or a bit less to get one for my friend Ponytail Kim. He didn’t have a birth certificate, so it made it even more difficult. Plus, he was too ill to walk in the DMV. I had to have his doctor sign off on that, and they had lost the paperwork, so I had to start from the beginning. It was a complete and utter mess running in circles from one government office to another.

When he passed away, I was going through all of his paperwork and guess what I found? You got it, his driver license. He never lost it, just misplaced it.

You should’ve seen me shaking it in the air and pretend yelling at him. Instead of crying I ended up laughing and laughing. I wouldn’t mind knowing the hours and miles I put into trying to get that dang thing for him. I did save it though, it’s actually a good picture of him, and I was with him when it was taken.

• BigMamaTEA says:

what is WRONG in NJ…and what does a marriage license have to do with identity?

• millwright says:

You got me Big Mama ! We can’t figure this out either as I had to jump through a host of ID hoops to renew my CDL years ago, allegedly because it was the “new” holographic super secure ID. Now – for my wife – nothing but her marriage license ?? !! Our new governor at work already ?

• BigMamaTEA says:

WHUT?!! millwright……WTH?!

14. Lucille says:

“Stranger Things” Cello Medley
    Nicholas Yee: “Medley of themes from the “Stranger Things” series, originally by Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein. Featuring my good friends Adam Caulfield and Katherine Pernal!”

15. smiley says:

Happy Valentine’s Day ❤

16. smiley says:

and to all you bad fellas…

don’t want you to feel left out.

🙂

17. Dora says:

Theodore Robinson – ‘The Wedding March’ (1892)

18. Dora says:

19. Dora says:

Oh how cute!

====

Westminster Dog Show 2018: And the winner is … Flynn the bichon

• PgtSndThinker says:

I’ve watched that Bichon win Best in Show locally and have spoken with its handler. It is an impressive dog, shown impeccably.

20. Destroying life with Hate
    Watching those hosting The View on TV you have to wonder just how ignorant a person must be to not understand that hate does nothing but destroy everything, especially the people expressing it.
    Hate is an emotion usually suffered by those unable to express themselves in a manner based on actual intellectual thought. Hatred or hate is usually defined as a deep and extreme emotional disturbance resulting in expressing dislike, especially invoking feelings of anger or resentment. It can be directed against individuals, groups, entities, objects, behaviors, or ideas.
    If everyone chose to exist in the manner as those hosting The View peaceful constructive life on this planet would be non-existent. We should also realize that a group of people willing to sponsor this type of behavior for broadcast throughout the nation are quite simply a group of psychopaths unable to adjust properly to societal behavior.

21. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.”
    Galatians 6:7 (KJV)

• Michael J. Machnica says:

Thanks. Verse two is a hard one for many us:
      Titus 3:1 Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work, 2 To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men.

We have to remember that
      Romans 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Which is why the will of God is:
      Titus 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

By simply believing the gospel of the grace of God.
      1Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
      3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

22. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

23. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

24. lisabrqwc says:

Happy Valentine’s Day Sweet Treepers!

25. Dora says:

A nice love story for St. Valentine’s Day.

==
    For Mark Twain, It Was Love At First Sight

The aspiring author knew Olivia Langdon was the one when he first laid eyes on a photograph of her

26. nikkichico7 says:

🌹
    Joel 2:15-17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    15 Blow a trumpet in Zion,
    Consecrate a fast, proclaim a solemn assembly,
    16 Gather the people, sanctify the congregation,
    Assemble the elders,
    Gather the children and the nursing infants.
    Let the bridegroom come out of his room
    And the bride out of her bridal chamber.
    17 Let the priests, the Lord’s ministers,
    Weep between the porch and the altar,
    And let them say, “Spare Your people, O Lord,
    And do not make Your inheritance a reproach,
    A byword among the nations.
    Why should they among the peoples say,
    ‘Where is their God?’”

Psalm 115:3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    3 But our God is in the heavens;
    He does whatever He pleases.

Proverbs 3 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    The Rewards of Wisdom
    3 My son, do not forget my [a]teaching,
    But let your heart keep my commandments;
    2 For length of days and years of life
    And peace they will add to you.
    3 Do not let kindness and truth leave you;
    Bind them around your neck,
    Write them on the tablet of your heart.
    4 So you will find favor and good [b]repute
    In the sight of God and man.
    5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    And do not lean on your own understanding.
    6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,
    And He will make your paths straight.

🌹

27. nikkichico7 says:

Well, here’s to February the 15th. 🤨❤️🌹

Poor St. Valentine 😞☹️ ….

🌹

Now it’s hard to say Happy Valentine’s Day

28. Winning and winning big 325 companies have indicated raises and bonus crumbs.

29. 17CatsInTN says:

Nod and Cicero wishing an upside down Valentine’s Day heart to all!

30. Michael J. Machnica says:

Yesterday a 15 yr old listener to the Mark Levin show called in. He was dejected because kids his age are mindless drones brainwashed by the CNN drivel they overhear their parents watching. They have no critical thinking skills.
    I bet that COMMUNITY ORGANIZER BHO is just itching for an excuse to turn his ANTIFA, Black Lives Matter, etc. brainwashed stooges loose on our cities.
    Mr. Levin has been against the special counsel since it’s inception. However, in this case we need one because the FBI & DOJ will not/cannot investigate themselves after the corruption that has taken place
    He said the budget is a disaster, we have to slash spending, NOT increase it. The only way to cut off the deep state (aka the administrative state/ leviathan is to starve it.
    Still: #TrustTrump
    MAGA (I don’t tweet, but I thought of that)

31. dbethd says:

Lizzie Borden – Family Secrets
    “In August 1892, Fall River, Massachusetts Sunday school teacher Lizzie Borden comes across the grisly murder scene of her father Andrew, who has been brutally killed with a hatchet. Local law enforcement arrives, also discovering the body of Abby (Durfee) Borden, the stepmother of Lizzie and her older sister Emma.
    Did Lizzie do it? And if so, why?”

32. dbethd says:

1929 – Interviews With Elderly People Throughout The US – Part 1

• maiingankwe says:

dbethd,
      I love listening to our Elders, so I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. It was also a nice surprise to see the oldest footage of our Native Americans. I got a bit upset they got our name wrong and called us Chippewa, but I’ll get over it. Our name is Anishinabeg, (plural) and Anishinabee is singular, meaning The People.

A lot of people refer to us as a Ojibwe or Ojibwa. What a lot of people don’t know is that is how Chippewa came about. It sounds very familiar to Ojibwa. Say the both of them together out loud and you will see.

Our Elders, no matter their race, should always be shown our utmost and highest respect. These are our teachers and have lived long for a reason.

If you’re ever out and about, and you see an Elder that may need assistance, please offer yours, and better yet, if you have a young one, ask them to go assist their Elder. They will come back smiling and with happiness in their hearts for helping someone. Plus, they might learn something besides the obvious.

I’ve had my daughter do this since a young age. Now all I have to do is give her that look, glance at the Elder and look back at her and off she goes under my watchful eye.

The last time was a few weeks ago when she helped her Elder put his groceries in his vehicle. He was in one of those remote wheelchairs and after, he too was all smiles. It benefits both.

This was how I was raised, and I hope my daughter does the same with her children. I expect it of her. I believe she will because she always returns happy and smiling.

Thank you for sharing this, it was a nice treat for my morning.
      Be well and stay smiling,
      Ma’iingankwe

• Ad rem says:

Thank you for posting this dbethd! I’ve already watched THREE of these, so I guess I better get back to work. I find them completely fascinating. 😀

33. aliashubbatch says:

34. Phokencougie says:

FYI – We got hit pretty hard with NSA’s DoublePulsar implant tool.

35. Dora says:

US Hockey Team just lost to Slovenia.

But what a beautiful country it is.

36. Dora says:

37. tazz2293 says:

Happy Valentine’s Day ladies

38. And now for some really good news another poor Afgan immigrant (US Citizen) in jail for Life++

39. nikkichico7 says:

Happy Valentines Day AdRem!

👍😉❤️🌹

40. smiley says:

so sad !

my best friend just had to put her good sweet kitty, Turbo, down.

loved that kitty…orange tabby…20 yrs old…the sweetest boy.

such a heartache.

broken heart. 😦

• dbethd says:

😦 Sorry to hear that

• nikkichico7 says:

🙁☹️😢 so sorry to hear Smiley 😔❤️

• smiley says:

thanks..don’t know why I posted about it…just came as a shock when she called me, crying (and she never cries about anything).

the last time I saw the good kitty was just last week, and you know how sometimes a thought just suddenly crosses your mind, like : love this kitty b/c it might be the last time..

well…I had that weird feeling but didn’t dwell on it…but I did spend extra time with him that day. extra TLC ❤

he had a tumor inside his nasal passage that ruptured, bad.

so…((sigh))

always a tough call.

leaves a hole in the ❤ when we lose our buddies.

miss them so much.

• BigMamaTEA says:

20 years old!!! Wow R.I.P. Turbo.

• Tegan says:

We don’t have children so our pets become “our children” and although they’ve all lived to ripe old ages, it’s heartbreaking when we have to lose them. It’s one reason we’ve gone more than a decade without but it’s a big void in our lives (plus our age makes us hesitant because any pet would probably outlast us!).