Wednesday January 3rd – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

251 Responses to Wednesday January 3rd – Open Thread

1. BakoCarl says:

Writing Verse

I’ve come to write verse just recently
    As a way to keep my mind busy.
    Now retired, aging, and sometimes bored,
    I ventured toward rhyme, not yet explored.

I had no love of poems before –
    Reading poetry was just a dull chore.
    Hidden meanings and thoughts so obscure
    Removed from poems any allure.

So why did I choose to spend my time
    Dabbling in rhymes to preserve my mind?
    I must confess, I really don’t know –
    I just didn’t find other ways to go.

I can’t write for critical acclaim,
    With my poor rhymes there’s too much to blame.
    Poetic devices beyond my ken
    Won’t work their way through my humble pen.

What I set down are just lines that rhyme;
    I brew lager or ale, and not fine wine.
    I set down thoughts for those who like beer,
    Who sit down with friends and pizza – Cheers!

Others may look through their wine at a light,
    Or stick their nose in the glass – what a sight!
    Those “in the know” can look down that nose,
    And claim I write nothing but rhyming prose.

“If poetry at all, it’s crude and coarse,
    Nothing that we real poets endorse.
    It speaks of God and country and flag,
    Like verse found in some weekly rural rag.”

But that’s who I write for, those of the land,
    Down in the dirt, working with their hands,
    Or putting in long hours, not nine to five,
    Working to keep hopes and dreams alive.

You know those kind, perhaps you are one,
    Clinging to Bibles, families and guns,
    Remembering the times that used to be,
    When honesty ruled and kids ran free;

When you knew that to eat you must work,
    When all worked hard and no one shirked.
    Those were the days, not too long ago,
    When life required work, hard rows to hoe.

Now what you see, when you look around,
    Lazy, crooked freeloaders abound.
    No God, no country, no working hard,
    Keeping their free homes worse than barnyards.

Our sports heroes are gone, now millionaires,
    Pampered and spoiled, and known everywhere.
    Never grateful for living rich and free,
    Acting offended, so they take a knee.

Pervasive media spread bald-faced lies
    For their agenda – the Globalist’s prize.
    An ignorant public go along,
    Adding their voices to the Marxist’s song.

Criminal Pols, lusting for power,
    Working for themselves, every hour,
    Trying to take charge by staging a coup,
    Wanting to control what you and I do.

Christians are treated as second class,
    Our basic beliefs are ever bypassed.
    In marriage, hate speech and by “Right to Choose”,
    Christians must submit to the world’s views.

Jihad and drugs continue to spread;
    God commands love, but they want us dead.
    The battle we fight is not against man,
    But against evil, since the world began.

The view is the same the world around;
    The rule of order is breaking down.
    Man is devolving to a life of sin,
    Rejecting the goodness God gives within.

Until my time on this earth runs out,
    I’ll keep my faith in God’s plan, not doubt.
    For I know that God’s way, time and again,
    Will work for my good at the very end.

This brings us back to why I write:
    To encourage all those in the fight,
    Working against evil, fighting for good,
    Restoring our land to be what it should.

May those in the fight, on the front lines,
    Win those hard battles, time after time.
    We will stand tall in our land of the free,
    And give thanks to God on bended knees.

2. citizen817 says:

• piper567 says:

when I lived in San Francisco, an annual ritual was going to the Orthodox Greek Community Celebration held each year at the Marin County City Center…a sprawling Frank Lloyd Wright facility.
      Each year there was a young Greek man who sold his watercolors, made each year when he visited his homeland.
      His work was almost exclusively depictions of villages similar to the one shown in this @EarthPics photo.
      The reason they made such an impression on me was he used the white of the paper to represent the walls of the villages and homes, only painting the shadows and spaces between buildings.
      For me, it was a beginning understanding of watercolors, and his talent was very evident, his sight so well developed..
      Many natives of Greece would snap us his paintings, as many were of villages in which his patrons had been raised.
      These works of his were the type you remember, even after many decades.
      Smashing views, smashing work. Entirely neutral light, must be the latitude.
      And San Francisco light was similar.
      SoCA light is yellowish, where I am now in the PNW, it is what we call “oyster”, but that neutral ight is uniquely attractive and memorable. Its so pure, allowing the whites to be actually white, the form of the white emphasizing the geometry of the dwellings.
      And his paintings made the white the absence…nearly featureless.
      Quite stunning.

3. Garrison Hall says:

4. Garrison Hall says:

The first selection is nice but a brief for morning coffee. This piece by Maximo Diego Pujol is should get you through about half a cup anyway . . .

5. dogsmaw says:

6. ray76 says:

7. ray76 says:

American Bridge, a liberal super PAC founded by left-wing operative and longtime Clinton ally David Brock, spent $200,000 to bring forward accusations of sexual misconduct against then-presidential candidate Donald Trump before Election Day in 2016, but the group never disclosed the payment on its 2016 tax returns, according to a new report.

Also, in September 2016, Brock helped orchestrate a “TrumpLeaks” project with Correct the Record, a pro-Clinton super PAC that he founded. The objective of the project was to obtain damaging video or audio of Trump and use it against him during the general election.

8. dogsmaw says:

9. ray76 says:

Comey, Brock, Simpson, Ohr, Strzok, et al are Clinton’s dirty tricks squad.

10. An absolutely FUN FUN FUN performance of a hit modified with a calypso beat, followed by a twist half-way through. Pure guitar ear candy. Play it loudly.

• piper567 says:

Coeur…thanks.
      Knopfler is my fave…always nice to have a dose late in the evening.
      this is definitely an oldy but goody.

• I think that Knopfler is in the tiny pantheon of true popular music geniuses. Great writer … super guitarist … associated with the best musicians that the popular genre had to offer … STILL creative. He could have done the blues or jazz or country as an expert but he loves more melodic sounds, and excells at it. His bands always had great musicianship.

Not sure that you have ever seen it but check out the “Guitar Stories” video. A ton of interesting background narrated by his bassist.

Or this one … very similar but insightful

• millwright says:

Ain’t that wonderful !! NO feds, no FG&W, no PETA, no HSA ( they were probably still snuggled warm abed ) just an ad hoc bunch of deplorables doing the “right thing” !

11. dogsmaw says:

Democrats on sign has just got to be code word for Marijuana Smugglers, cause according to twitter post below – minus a promised system to track supply from seed to sale

12. millwright says:

Its that time of the year when my TV is rife with some very expensive ( 1.5 min ) and upscale ads from the HSA and the SPCA on multiple channels seeking $19 per month pledges. I wonder how much of ( what I expect is a very large income ) actually goes to rescuing/healing/ keeping animals they profess they want to help ?

13. Praying for the good people of Iran.
    Especially the believers that are allowing their light to shine.

“I want you to know, brothers, that my situation has turned out rather to advance the gospel, so that my imprisonment has become well known in Christ throughout the whole praetorium and to all the rest, and so that the majority of the brothers, having taken encouragement in the Lord from my imprisonment, dare more than ever to proclaim the word fearlessly.

Of course, some preach Christ from envy and rivalry, others from good will. The latter act out of love, aware that I am here for the defense of the gospel; the former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not from pure motives, thinking that they will cause me trouble in my imprisonment. What difference does it make, as long as in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is being proclaimed? And in that I rejoice.

Indeed I shall continue to rejoice, for I know that this will result in deliverance for me through your prayers and support from the Spirit of Jesus Christ.

My eager expectation and hope is that I shall not be put to shame in any way, but that with all boldness, now as always, Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death.

For to me life is Christ, and death is gain.

Philippians 1:14-21

14. citizen817 says:

Shadow Puppet Performance to Louis Armstrong’s ‘What a Wonderful World’

15. citizen817 says:

16. dogsmaw says:

17. dogsmaw says:

• USA loves Melania says:

Gotta love a good Michigan winter. Lowest recorded temperature in Michigan: -51 degrees on February 9th, 1934 in Vanderbilt, MI. Snowfall total in Marquette, MI last year: 227.8 inches.

• nikkichico7 says:

USA loves Melania nooooo, well we love Michigan in the SUMMER, this particular winter we are not loving the mitten surrounded by giant ice cubes ….. brrrrr 🌬

February9th, 1934 doesn’t bear repeating, nope. 😉

If you’re in Michigan “Hi God bless ya, stay warm and safe sweetie” ❤️

• nwtex says:

That couple (filming) in the truck were surprisingly calm especially when they got hit. sheesh.

18. Dora says:

Alexandre Altmann (Ukraine 1881-1950) Pêcheur au Bord du Canal

19. nimrodman says:

That funny purring trill they do. I once saw a documentary on meerkat society. Scientists had catalogued some 17 different vocalizations in their meerkat “language”, each with a specific meaning – like “fox! get in the burrow!”

Cats must have a similar number, or at least a dozen or 15 or so.

20. Dora says:

Look what’s coming up the east coast. Yikes! Batten down the hatches everyone and stay safe.

=====

A “Bomb Cyclone” Is Set To Detonate Off The East Coast

This storm developing off the Southeast coast will meet the meteorological criteria of a “bomb” as it rapidly intensifies. The signal for a storm has been evident since last week, but as the track has been fine-tuned, impacts to the I-95 corridor are now expected. Snow, strong winds, and very cold temperatures are expected particularly the further east one heads,” said Ed Vallee, meteorologist at Vallee Weather Consulting LLC.

21. Dora says:

22. Dora says:

Remember her? She’s back for an encore.

===

‘We should take somebody out’: Ice skater Tonya Harding FINALLY admits she knew of plot to attack Nancy Kerrigan then breaks down while claiming she was a ‘pawn’ who ‘paid the ultimate price

23. Dora says:

If you’ve got nothing better to do on this unbelievably cold morning, this is a good one.

THEM! (1954) WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3 @ 07:30 AM (ET) TCM

24. smiley says:

Loch Ceann

oil on panel

(no date)

Zarina Stewart-Clark ~ Scotland ~ Contemporary ~ Abstract ~ Landscapes

she has worked mainly in egg tempera but recently has moved to oils….

excellent handling of lights & darks, and the beautiful, spiritual essence of the landscape.

more here…

🙂

• piper567 says:

oh my gosh, smiley!
      Can’t thank you enough for this find.
      these paintings capture much of the essence of each scene, while allowing one to wander in their beauty…such a span of light, sky and plane.
      She enhances not only an appreciation of what she has seen, but elevates one’s thinking about talent.
      wonderful stuff, so happy to know of her.

25. amwick says:

Good morning Ms. Weed.

We are sheltering in place… The South does not react well to frozen precipitation. Next day or two will be interesting.

26. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,”
    Luke 6:27 (KJV)

27. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

28. nimrodman says:

Aw, sad.
    Sweet tho, at the same time.

29. nikkichico7 says:

Good morning treepers, all who are in the ccccold areas please be wise, safe and warm if you’re headed out into the weather till this system moves away. As for me …. I’m going outside! 😜

That’s what happens when you fluff off and have to drop off a bill … nuts 🤨

God bless everyone today and always 🌹

30. USA loves Melania says:

It’s amazing that the amount of news that happens in the world every day always just exactly fits the newspaper.

-Jerry Seinfeld

31. dbethd says:

My husband just called. His business was robbed last night. I am so disgusted right now.

• smiley says:

but he’s ok, right ?

…thank GOD for that #1..

without knowing any details, I just hope what was taken was minimal and that the burglars? robbers? will be caught & punished PDQ.

I may have it backwards but IIRC burglary = when the owner is not present, on the spot..

and robbery = the person is robbed on the spot.

…which is why I asked if he’s ok.

• dbethd says:

Sorry! I was so flabbergasted that I didn’t include any details!

Yes! He is ok! He was not there when it occurred. He went into his business this morning and found the cash box open with all the cash and customer checks gone. No tools were taken (which is to my regret honestly because I believe we would be more likely to catch the perp).

Not sure what a person would do with a check made out to a business? Someone mentioned being able to cash checks at Mexican restaurants/places of business and only getting asked for ID verification occasionally. I don’t believe they would be able to cash the check at a back, but I have no idea.

Also he didn’t see any signs of forced entry. He’s pretty sure he locked the door, but he’s second guessing himself. He knows it didn’t happen during business hours as he put a customer’s check in the cash box right at the close of business and now it’s gone.

The police have come and gone. I am at work at another location, so I do not know what they have done or said. They have been very helpful in past “sticky” situations, and we are always appreciative of their help. I do not honestly hold out much hope for the criminal being caught, but I tend to be more of a pessimist/realist.

Trying not to stress about it, but I do wish he’d had security cameras and am trying to convince him that he needs something! I know we are a small town; but people make bad choices, or they are just bad people. I prefer to be prepared.

• smiley says:

fingerprints ??

• dbethd says:

I just talked to my husband. He didn’t see them check for fingerprints which surprised me. The policeman told him to write a list of anything missing, but my husband doesn’t think anything else is missing. He also thinks if there is anything missing, that he won’t notice until he needs to use it for a repair job. The policeman told him he didn’t think the perp would try to cash the checks as that could be tracked. He called his customers and told them to cancel the checks and just write him a new one anyway.

He also said his insurance agent told him he thought it would be covered, after he received the police report. I asked how much was in the cash box, and it’s less than I first thought. So I am thankful for that, and thankful that insurance should cover it.

There were definitely steps my husband could have taken to help prevent this (deadbolt on his back door) or cause hindrance (locking the cash box and bolting it to his counter). He also might just take the cash at home at night (per the Policeman’s suggestion).So I think he will be taking those measure into account and making sure they will be remedied. This is definitely a lesson learned and also thankful it’s not worse in any way.

32. USA loves Melania says:

• USA loves Melania says:

I love this quote from back during the campaign and lately it has been stuck in my head:

“I think Donald Trump, underneath it all, isn’t just a business guy. I think he loves America. I really do. I think he cares.”

– Stephen Baldwin (the best Baldwin)

This is why I love him. He really cares about people. Thankful for him everyday.

• USA loves Melania says:

Video is under 3 minutes. Please watch and share with everyone you know. I am bawling like a baby at the beauty of this man’s incredible HEART.

33. Dora says:

Another interesting find.

34. duchess01 says:

Eyewitness Video Of 100 Vehicles Involved In Crash On NY Thruway… 1 Driver Dead…
    Posted by Kane on January 2, 2018 9:03 pm

35. aliashubbatch says:

36. USA loves Melania says:

Here’s a quote to put a smile on your face today:

“The many losers and haters never have the brains or stamina to become truly successful!”

-Donald J. Trump

🙂

37. FelineFine says:

Here in Tallahassee, drove through lots of snow (for a few minutes) at around 8:00 a.m. Didn’t last long. Nice treat!

• smiley says:

hi Feline 🐱

cold cats in florida !!

wind gusts here right now(SWFL) almost 40 mph…

tree limbs everywhere from high ARCTIC winds 😦

(((aw-geez-not-this-again)))

and this is the deep south…can’t imagine the conditions further & further north.

seriously dangerous winter weather..

hope everybody’s warm & safe esp up north.

summer’s right around the corner 🙂

• nikkichico7 says:

Further reporting Smiley, we are not frozen solid people tenders waiting the spring thaw 💨💨🌬🌬🌬🌬🌬

Ick, ick, ick

People of the south please stay warm and safe, when the weather is bad please don’t go out unless you absolutely have to …. God bless you all 😉❤️🌹

38. Minnie says:

To all East Coast Treepers and all within the path of this storm, BE SAFE.

If/when possible, stay off the roads, shelter in place and know you are all in my prayers.

xoxoxoxoxoxox

39. DCBids says:

Thanks for all the kindness and understanding I received yesterday. After 2 weeks of little sleep, little appetite and sweat/shiver all night long dealing with this (cold???) I tried some OTC daytime cold pills. They knocked me for a loop! Please accept my apologies if I offended anyone, I truly did not really know what all I was typing. It just “appeared” on my screen…..and then the cat walked across the keys and “sent” it….. yeah, that’s the ticket….. the cat. 🙂

40. duchess01 says:

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 3, 2018
    EXPONENTIAL Unbelief – The ETERNAL Grace of Almighty God

41. BigMamaTEA says:

On House tee-vee…….The House came into session, had prayer/pledge then adjourned until Friday Noon EST.

On Senate tee-vee……The Senate came into session and V.P. Pence just swore in the new MN. Senator.