Monday December 11th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

147 Responses to Monday December 11th – Open Thread

1. DanDeplorable says:

DAILY DEVOTIONAL, December 11, 2017

Immersed into the Ark

“And the LORD shut him in.” Genesis 7:16

Before the ancient world was washed away, Noah entered the door of the ark, and the merciful Hand of God closed him in. In the present age, the door of God’s electing purpose is between us and this fallen world, which–then as now–lies in the evil one (1). We are “not of the world,” even as our Lord Jesus was “not of the world.”(2) Into the sin, the folly, the pursuits of the crowd we cannot enter; we cannot play in the streets of Vanity Fair with the children of darkness, for our heavenly Father has shut us in.

Noah was shut in with his God. “You shall come into the ark,”(3) was the Lord’s invitation, which suggests that God Himself would be there to dwell in the ark with Noah and his family. In like manner, all blood-bought believers live in God and He in them; blessed children of God chosen to dwell in light in eternity with the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Let us never be inattentive to His gracious call: “Come, My people, enter into your chambers, and shut your doors behind you; hide yourselves [with Me] for a little while until the fury has passed by.”(4)

Noah was so shut in the ark that no evil could reach him. The Flood that destroyed the outside simply lifted him toward Heaven, and winds helped him on his way. Outside the ark all was ruin, but inside all was rest and peace. Outside Jesus Christ we perish, but in Him is everlasting life (5).

Noah was so shut in the ark that he could not even desire to come out; and those who are in Christ Jesus will be with Him in glory forever. They are there forever because eternal faithfulness has shut them in, and infernal malice cannot drag them out. God closes, and no man opens (6). And when on the Last Day, as Master of His house (7), the Lord Jesus shall rise and close the door, it will be futile for the disobedient then to desperately knock and cry “Lord, Lord, open to us!”(8) For that same Door which closes in the wise virgins will forever shut out the foolish.

Lord, close me in by Your grace.

(1) 1 John 5:19
    (2) John 17:14
    (3) Genesis 6:18
    (4) Isaiah 26:20
    (5) John 10:27-29
    (6) Revelation 3:7-8
    (7) Hebrews 3:6
    (8) Matthew 25:10-11

–Charles H. Spurgeon, 1834-1892

• smiley says:

Thank you always, DanD, for the profound wisdom of Charles Spurgeon. 🙂

• Bob says:

It’s taking Perseverance to continue to read the daily Tree House articles. It really seem that there is a contrived effort to make it very uncomfortable to read the article and comments when the page is continuously moving back to the top of the page….there seems not to be any fix….??

• agreed, I had to put the article into “Reader” word process, Then I could read the article

• smiley says:

try AdBlock…enable it on your device, if possible….it could be all the Ads trying to LOAD on the page (thread) that’s causing all that “jumping around”.

• An American says:

Bob, if you are using an iPad, go into “tools”, “safari”, “advanced” and turn off ” JavaScript”. This should correct your problem. When you need to view videos you’ll have to go back and turn it back on. Hope this helps you.

• Melanie says:

I also have almost had to quit reading CTH. My problem is a stupid pop-up called Follow.

• Prettyplease says:

Same here. Not only does it take an eternity for things to load and the scrolling feature is almost nonexistent but, trying to comment on anything is an excruciating ordeal. My keyboard is weirding out n lags too. been goin on for several months. About to give up.

• Prettyplease says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, An American! I tried what you said about Safari and JavaScript… And it worked! I’m not sure what changed that caused all the dysfunction. Anybody have a thought, I would like to know. This started somewhere around the time of the hurricanes, maybe before. Hard to remember now.

• piper567 says:

There is a mini-lesson in perseverance here…CTH is worth struggling to access.
              There have been hundreds of helpful suggestions posted, just over the last few months, addressing issues on all manner of devices and platforms.
              Uncle WordPress has been a real Scrooge during this time, but he can be defeated.
              imo WP was not designed to handle the amount of traffic CTH produces, and for some mysterious reason, Uncle WP seems to be over reactive to the manner in which ads are introduced.
              Hang in there folks, you must persevere until you locate the fix necessary to access what you know you will not get Anywhere Else!
              You know its worth the effort.

• ruralnc says:

Dan, Your words and explanations have very much helped me. Thank you.

2. citizen817 says:

3. citizen817 says:

• citizen817 says:

• Garrison Hall says:

He reminds me of me when I was his age. My father took me into our back-yard and taught me how to throw a punch. The very next day the school bully picked on me (again) on my way home. I led him to the side of a house where I’d placed a 3 fit long stick. He and his buddies were going to beat me up (again) until I picked up the stick and hit him with a full-on swing hit him square across the forehead, knocking him down. He never bothered me again. That was the most empowering moment in my young life. I was forever changed by that event. Red-neck rules. Sad that the bullies are still around but little kids can’t do that now.

• Donna in Oregon says:

Thanks for the memories Garrison. My Dad did the same thing for me, an older boy was bullying me. I can defend myself to this day.

Dads are invaluable. We must be able to defend ourselves effectively.

• npgh says:

Here’s the thing that nobody talks about. THE TEACHERS know this crap goes on. Bullying has been around since God created us. As adults they see the changes in the kids behavior and they look away.

• JustCC says:

First is the PARENTS , we can’t put it all on the teachers , they are second in the line ..
          just my two cents …

• Joe K Lombard says:

When you have teachers that are afraid to be in a classroom with some students what do you expect?

• dayallaxeded says:

Both my sons were victims of bullying at different times and varying degrees in school. Consistently, the so-called teachers were essentially MIA. Fortunately, one put on a growth spurt and was no longer a target and the other one, though smaller, turned out to be quite crafty at paying bullies back in ways they didn’t expect and that he wouldn’t get in trouble for–then he became best friends with a 6’4, 200# 7th grader and bullying problems were completely solved.

Mrs. and I visited the schools from time to time unannounced and if it was during lunch or basically any non-classroom-formal-instructional time, teachers were off chit-chatting with one another or sucking up to the higher-ups. More than a few times, I helped a child who was having a problem (not just disciplinary, but basic stuff, like getting a tricycle unstuck, organizing swing access, or dealing with a lunchtime mess) ignored by the teachers. There are very good and tuned-in teachers, but there are also too many selfish, immature “snowflakes” (I think worse with younger ones, but not just millennials, all ages) who should not be entrusted with the instruction or supervision of children, b/c they are barely more responsible than children themselves.

The idea that it’s primarily on the parents is just BS–the teachers are there, on site where the bullying is happening. The parents can’t and shouldn’t be there all the time. If they’re not noticing it, then they’re not paying attention and literally anything could happen. If they feel they can’t deal with it, then the administration of the school is also off the rails and/or the teacher is too stupid and/or lazy to figure out a way to deal with the bullying that is within current “no corporal punishment, basically no touching” guidelines. Teachers need to pay attention and report problems to parents, so parents can take appropriate action, too. But too often, what happens at school stays at school or gets recharacterized by the time it can be addressed at home.

• he is brave, believe me I know what this child is going through, I as well have a “disabled son” quite actually he is a miracle in that he was born at 24 weeks gestation, less than a pound of weight and this was 30 years ago.
      I cannot tell you how many times he was picked on, beaten, pushed, shoved, manipulated, had frozen ice thrown at his head so that he needed 7 stitches in his head,,, Where he was beaten and dragged by bikes when he was just 5 years old, So many abuses, so many times,
      And these darn schools do nothing about it, the abusers never got punished,,,but God forbid my son did something wrong, he would be punished 1000 fold compared to a normal child. I am so angry at the teachers, the officials even more than wise a$$ kids, because they taught their kids to be bad, the teachers allowed it, no punishment for the abusers….
      THAT is who should be punished is the adults, the parents, the officials. I had to bring in many studies pertaining to my son’s condition, I had to prove over and over again that HE was no threat to himself or others, and yet HE was the one punished, too many different programs he was sent to because he was socially ackward, because he was easily manipulated, because he said the wrong thing at the wrong time, (He has higher functioning autism and Cerebral palsy with ataxia-but he can walk just very bad balance issues and with minor shaking). But he never ever, ever hurt another human, never would, yet he got punished and kicked out of programs because of things said.
      This needs to be reversed and that the REAL evil does get punished or at least properly taught about these kids!
      Yes, I apologize, but it angers me as to how these children of GOD and yes of GOD are treated, because every “special child” is here for a reason, we just need to see and learn and appreciate these reasons, they are a gift.

• Garrison Hall says:

Clear, I can tell you that teachers and, especially, principals do little or nothing to correct these problems because they are terrified of losing their jobs. Today, because of constant “accountability” measures, school principals are have the most unstable jobs in education and are routinely fired if their “stats” are not kept up. I’ve seen schools change 3 principals in three years because of this.

There was a time when principals had very secure jobs, often staying at the same school for their entire career. Those old-school principals could deal with bullies at “their” school because they had the power to do so. Today’s principals have no power, are terrified of being criticized, and tend to ignore even serious problems as much as possible. This lack of authority of course extends to teachers who, lacking the support of their principal, are also reluctant to do anything about bullies. Private schools are often (but not always) better in this respect, but of course cost a lot more to attend.

• Bugsdaddy says:

Garrison and Clear,
          You are absolutely correct. My son attends a private school and we have the same issues. In our case, my wife and I have reported incidents to the administrator and teachers, and yet nothing has been done. The unfortunate issue is that the bullies are children or relatives of said administrator, school board members, and in one case a teacher.
          We are honestly at our wits end over the whole situation. Here is what is the worst of it: my son is a wonderful athlete and a straight A student. He receives accolades from the other students, parents, and coaches for his abilities on the field and off. What is happening is three or four older students are jealous of his abilities and feel he is a threat to them being able to play sports. Well, they are correct. My son has replaced them on several occasions (he was pulled up to the JV basketball team in 7th grade, and then to the Varsity basketball team in eighth grade, this year). Needless to say, we have a small school population, so this does happen pretty regularly.
          That is just part of it, the rest of why my son gets bullied is because he is not afraid to stand up for some of the younger kids who these guys target. My son also has one classmate with emotional problems (and a recently diagnosed parent with cancer) that he has taken on as a mentor and protector. Unfortunately my son went through the same type of situation in elementary school, and has told us he has no intention of another kid putting up with the garbage he had to.
          My son could very easily take any or all of these boys down in a heart beat. Unfortunately, were he to do so, he would immediately be labeled the instigator and would suffer very negative consequences. What I do admire about this young man is his ability to maintain a positive attitude and to identify these boys as “not worth his time to worry about”. Regardless, i live in dread of the time when one of these boys does provoke a fight with my son. It will not be pretty.
          So, at this point, we are in a document, document, document phase, and if anything ever happens, that is what we build our case on. It is disheartening for sure.

• dayallaxeded says:

God bless, guard, and guide your son and you! He sounds like a truly great person–not just a kid, but a fully formed young person. He needs allies. There is great strength in numbers in these situations–it’s hard to label someone an “instigator” when half a dozen other students will stand up and say “no!” His athleticism is an incredible blessing–in our experience, it was often a sports coach who wound up being the most “adult” or at least effective teacher. This guy was one: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/28/magazine/coach-fitz-s-management-theory.html If there’s a Fellowship of Christian Athletes, that might be a good vehicle.

4. Garrison Hall says:

5. Deplorable_Vespucciland says:

Sore losers act up at the end of an NFL contest today. Several Seattle Kneelers were thrown out of the game and one dumb millionaire tried to climb into the stands to attack Florida fans heckling him. This is just another example of why we don’t recommend children watch professional football any more. Adults can decide on their own. RIP ~ NFL

• allhail2 says:

I’d have kicked a field goal as the last play

• millwright says:

Rich spoiled brats acting like what they are ! Take your ‘gangnam’ behaviors back to the hood, dudes ! Pro football has never been a “Gentleman’s Sport” ! But for most of its early years it was self-policing, with truly vicious players eliminated in a few seasons. But with the advent of serious TV money the last quarter of the 20th century saw it increasingly becoming a gladiatorial contest lacking only edged weapons . Three decades later we’re seeing – with ever more money in play – the invasion of the ‘gangsta mentality ‘ ; on the field and off !

6. millwright says:

Thank You CA Gov. J/. “Moonbeam” Brown for my ‘Laugh of the Weekend ‘ : “…wildfires are the new normal for CA ……and you’ll just have to learn to live with them …! Of course he predictably blamed AGW – and the Trump Administrations as the causes . Guess he’s never heard of the established preventative and limiting measures of trimming trees from power lines , reducing understory duff with controlled burns, and not permitting building straw houses in fire-prone areas That would be ugly, factual, proven scientific methodology using readily available technology and resources well within the fiscal capability of CA ( if they weren’t spending so much fighting preventable fires ) ! Seems Moonbeams’ motto is ; ‘ Tis a far, far better thing to blame others for your failures’ …and cloak it all with quasi-religious mystic deprecations against science and technology !

• BebeTarget says:

Has anyone else noticed something different about the coverage of these fires . . .there is NEVER a mention of how they started or any discussion of whether the authorities were trying to find out if they were started on purpose. A few years ago this information became known. The last huge fire a couple of months ago was supposedly started by a homeless person? Then the story changed and nothing was mentioned again. Suspicious Kitty needs to make an appearance.

• Lucille says:

“Suspicious Kitty needs to make an appearance.”

Been thinking along the same line as you, Bebe. Just too much coincidence for all the fires to just “happen.” I don’t care what the temperature was or how strong the Santa Ana winds were, and they can be so strong a 100 pound person can lean back and not fall over (that used to be one of the little games we played as kids).

7. nimrodman says:

Ghandi can take a hike …

What Being a Dad with a Gun Taught My Daughter

• millwright says:

nmr: Wasn’t that a superb article ? Mr. Cicchetti touched about all the bases ! I commented on the article only because I feel he missed one important aspect of his daughter’s response. In short; I feel females are genetically programmed by tens of thousands of generations’ evolution to respond positively to ‘alpha’ males for several very valid reasons. His actions triggered her positive response; to the ultimate benefit of both !

• Guy-Blanc Déploré says:

Great read, thanks for posting.

8. Grandma Covfefe says:

Merry CHRISTmas, Treepers!

What Child Is This?

What Child is this, who, laid to rest,
    On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
    Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
    While shepherds watch are keeping?

This, this is Christ, the King,
    Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
    Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
    The Babe, the Son of Mary!

Why lies He in such mean estate,
    Where ox and ass are feeding?
    Good Christian, fear: for sinners here
    The silent Word is pleading.

This, this is Christ, the King,
    Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
    Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
    The Babe, the Son of Mary!

So bring Him incense, gold, and myrrh,
    Come, peasant, king to own Him.
    The King of kings salvation brings;
    Let loving hearts enthrone Him

This, this is Christ, the King,
    Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
    Haste, haste to bring Him laud,
    The Babe, the Son of Mary!

9. citizen817 says:

10. citizen817 says:

11. smiley says:

Norwegian photographer, Odin Standal, woke up early one morning to capture a sunrise using a bucket of soap, some thread and a spoon…and highspeed flash photgraphy.. over the Fjord River.

I like the black & white version…

a little more, here…

🙂

12. Texian says:

Going long on long underwear.. Anybody remember Christmas 1983? The coldest in the 20th Century. Highs in the teens, lows in the single digits, for days. I remember it well. Christmas Eve night I was outside underneath my 1968 427 Corvette laying on the cold ground changing out the starter.. Joe Bastardi is including that winter in his composite analogue forecast for this Christmas..

Christmas cold 1983, off the charts in coldness:

Galveston.. Unbelievable:

• smiley says:

IKR

it’s around 45 degrees here in SWFL right now…yesterday with 14 mph headwinds from the arctic north, it was like in the 30s on a racing bike…

and the long underwear doesn’t quite cut it, trust me…

🙂

• Prettyplease says:

I remember!! I was a newlywed bride and my yankee husband took me up north to Michigan for our first Christmas. It was -50 with the windchill. The furnace in their house never shut off, and as soon as I walked outside, the hair in my nose froze, which was a first for me, “A fragile flower of the south.” Driving back to Georgia, I was at the wheel when my husband said to me, “Sweetheart, do you know what black ice is?” Uh, noooo! I was barreling along in the wee hours at 70 miles an hour in Kentucky on interstate 75 which had not been plowed or salted. I’ll never forget the look on his face! Lol! He had me take my foot off the gas and coast over to the side of the road before I could put the brakes on. He drove all the way to the other side of Knoxville.
      Apparently, that was not the end of the surprises. When we got home, we found out that a gas main had blown on the south side of Atlanta and our furnace had been off for 10 days. All of our houseplants were frozen to mush, a bottle of olive oil on the kitchen counter was the consistency of Crisco and there was a sheet of ice on the INSIDE of our picture window. My poor husband had to crawl under the house to relight the pilot on the furnace and the hot water heater while I huddled in blankets. It seemed like it took forever to thaw out the house. Do I remember? Lolz

• auscitizenmom says:

Reminds me of when this Southerner moved to Upstate NY at the end of Nov. It snowed about 4 ft the night we arrived. They started taking all the canned goods out of our travel trailer and moving them into my BIL’s house. I didn’t know why. The next morning it snowed some more and I started crying because I thought we wouldn’t be able to look for a house until spring. Guess who got laughed at! 🙄

• JC says:

Lived in Watertown, NY, three years, auscitizenmom. Two seasons: winter and Fourth of July. Serious winter, life-threatening, deep snow from lake-effect snowstorms that sounded like freight trains as they rolled in over Lake Ontario. People die(d) every year from icicles the size of Manhattan falling off eaves. -40 degrees one Christmas, and for days after. Exquisitely beautiful, but will take you to your limits.

• auscitizenmom says:

We were just east of Saratoga, so much more inland. If we were to get into a “who had it worst” competition, you’d win. LOL I kept hearing about the weather in places like Watertown. We lived near my in-laws who would call me and tell me what to do since I had no idea how to deal with weather like that. We went through 2 winters. To be honest, I loved it. But, I didn’t have to drive to a job.

• pretttyplease says:

We’ve been to Watertown in the July season. Not sure why we chose to go there, too long ago, but really liked the feel of upstate NY.
              The first Christmas in Michigan was the prelude to spending five years up there. Lived in Port Huron and I remember the freight train whistle of the wind just before the blast slammed into the house…and the lake effect snow. We lived out on ten acres on a dead end road with over 300 feet of driveway that needed to be plowed. My husband went out and found a guy snow plowing a parking lot and hired him to come do our driveway. Guy was faithful to come back every time it snowed. God bless him!
              I didn’t have to drive to a job. I was home with the kids. My husband would call me at lunch time to make sure I was still sane.
              The worst part for me was, coming from coastal GA where spring starts in early March, the long, dreary overcast days with no spring until the end of May, maybe longer, and the isolation.

• auscitizenmom says:

Yeah, coming from FL and S. Cal, I expect to see the sun most of the time with only an occasional gray day. When we were up there we had 4 straight days of almost dark. The first day I wasn’t concerned. The second day I thought it would be good for the sun to come out. By the third day, I was wondering if we would ever see the sun again and by the fourth day I was nearly insane.

And, we expect our two days of sprin in March here, with summer moving in after that. LOL

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

That’s a great story. I don’t think Georgia gets much bad weather. I had lived in the Carolinas, and then N. Georgia as a child before moving to Va. One time (in N. Ga.) there was an ice storm. Snow was a rarity.

• dayallaxeded says:

Remember it well. Learned to solder copper water pipe–with lots of practice–when it finally warmed up a little.

13. nimrodman says:

Ok, sure. Now we’ve got the U.N. shaming our Alabama poverty and poor sanitation:

UN poverty official touring Alabama’s Black Belt: ‘I haven’t seen this’ in the First World

Focus of the article is raw sewage discharging from pipes.

I’m sorry, but a septic system isn’t a terribly complicated thing and need not be expensive. Dig a pit, dig a couple shallower trenches off the side for laterals (the upper fluid runout), half a pickup truck load of gravel and some perforated PVC pipe, cinder blocks for the pit walls, concrete or even plywood lid.

Poverty is mentioned, as are kids exposed to the sewage. Kids to me means there are teens about. Teens have strong backs. Hand ’em shovels and put ’em to work in a community group effort, I’m sure a grant would be available.

Ask yourself: “How would the Amish handle a situation like this?”

I’ll tell you how. They’d get out there as a self-reliant community and build a septic system. Then they’d go on to the next farm that needs one and do the same.

I won’t apologize for a lack of sympathy, I mainly see a lack of initiative and self-reliance.
    YMMV

• Lucille says:

Lack of initiative isn’t due to economic poverty but spiritual and educational (both in the home and at school) poverty.

And that’s not true only for the poor. I was surprised last year when the snowfall day after day packed the streets and clogged the sidewalks that even the well-off were so used to having government do everything for them they wouldn’t do some shoveling on their own. They didn’t even think of collectively footing the bill and hiring a snow removal company to clear their hillside streets if they couldn’t get out there and do it themselves.

Even the people in my apartment complex won’t sweep off the sidewalks in front of their units. The attitude is “management is supposed to take care of it.” So they slog through two feet of snow rather than sweeping when the first snow came down. Yeah, it’s manual labor and my back ached when I was only a few minutes into it. But so what! I mean sometimes you just gotta laugh at people’s helplessness.

• Tegan says:

True story…I was working as a volunteer urban community developer in a barrio (slum) in Venezuela many years ago. After MUCH work, many months of trying to develop what we Americans generally take for granted…a sense of community…we finally got to the day a large water pipe was going to be laid down the main (dirt) road of this small community, until then, there was only a very small pipe with one community faucet to serve the entire population…people would stand in line to get a bucket of water. To save costs, everyone agreed to dig the shallow trench in front of their tiny dwelling for the new pipe. The day before the Big Day, one of the men suffered a severe machete accident,harvesting sugar cane, and cut off some fingers…thus unable to dig his trench. I was quietly watching from the sidelines, observing if our hard-won community efforts were going to emerge. Sure enough, all the men came out to dig their areas except the injured man…yet no one went over to help. Finally, I went to his area with a shovel and started to dig (I was a young woman)…not saying a word. It wasn’t long that the Latin macho gene kicked in and one by one the men sheepishly came over to help.
        Living and working among these people overseas taught me that “community” is taught, not automatic, from a very early age in a thousand subtle ways…probably more so in America than any other place in the world. We are by far the most generous in responding to disasters. On the other hand, a sense of entitlement is also subtly taught and has been for several generations now…by those who benefit personally from it. Just think about that for awhile today.

• auscitizenmom says:

I realize this was in Alabama’s Black Belt, but it made me think of an article I read back around 2007, I believe it was. The article was written about how terrible it was that there were communities in this day and age that didn’t have running water or sewage systems. As I read, I realized the communities they were referring to were down on the southern U.S. border and were shanty towns set up by illegals. Of course, they didn’t have any utilities brought in.

14. citizen817 says:

15. Lucille says:

They tell us who they really are if we’d only listen…

Muslim cleric: “Offensive Jihad means attacking infidels in order to conquer their countries and bring them into the fold of Islam”
    December 7, 2017 by Robert Spencer

16. smiley says:

Winter

oil/canvas

ca 1880s

Joseph Farquharson ~ Scotland (1846-1935) ~ Realism/Romanticism ~ Landscapes

in order to be able to paint en plein air 🙂 in the harsh Scottish climate, Farquharson used a “painting hut on wheels” as his outdoor studio…

probably something like this…

looked like quite an amusing & charming fellow…

🙂

17. smiley says:

🐱

revolting
    monday
    funnies
    bad
    cat

🐱

18. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”
    Galatians 3:28 (KJV)

19. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

20. NYGuy54 says:

Good morning from a NYer

21. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

22. georgiafl says:

Tech Question for Treepers who know how to repair their own computers.

I need to replace speakers in my Macbook Pro – and have the parts, and step by step directions from ifixit.com.

The speakers are deep in the bowels of the laptop – the Rt Speaker and Subwoofer are under the optical drive (DVD/CD) and the Left Speaker is under the logic board. The battery and the logic board will have to be removed in the process to replace the speakers.

The question is – will disconnecting the logic board remove all the files from my computer – though I have very few saved documents, most of my most valued stuff is: 1. Saved bookmarks in Safari and 2. Stuff in mailboxes in Mail (which is where I keep most everything: CTH comments, links to articles, business, household, family photos, etc.)?
    I’m not a technophile and have no idea how to back up all the Mailboxes stuff. The computer has a Time Machine program, but will it ‘save’ the mailbox contents?

Thanks for any advice.

• nor'easter says:

Try searching/entering this question and Apples “support”.

• dayallaxeded says:

Back everything up in the cloud. I don’t know what works to back up Safari bookmarks, but that’s probably something you can search out pretty easily. Most important thing about working on a ‘puter–ground yourself! They make bracelets with leads to ground yourself to ensure that you don’t produce a static spark. I guess you could probably achieve the same with just some bare copper wire around your wrists, connected on a long, flexible lead to a ground–I’d search that too to be sure. A static charge is a near certainty to kill or at least severely damage your MacBook and with this cold snap and resulting dry interior air, static is a high risk. Secondarily, extra care is always needed with the ribbon cables and connectors that connect the screen to the motherboard. That stuff has to be handled and put back in place carefully and exactly, or the screen likely won’t work.

23. ray76 says:

(NY City) Several people were injured Monday morning when a device exploded at the Port Authority bus terminal on 42nd Street, according to law enforcement sources.

One person is in custody after his device partially detonated inside a tunnel

24. smiley says:

Karl Marx To Resign, Ditch Legacy Due To Sexual Misconduct

Dec 11, 2017

by Oleg Atbashian 😀

tongue
    in
    cheek

25. nikkichico7 says:

PSALM 24:1
    1 The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.

26. dbethd says:

President Donald J. Trump signs a proclamation for National Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day 2017 | December 7, 2017 (Official White House Photo by Shealah Craighead)

27. Biased Fox News Poll(Shaw) just released new poll shows Jones ahead of Moore by +10…LOL. The Emerson polls taken during the same time frame has Moore ahead of Jones by +9. The last 6 previous polls have Moore ahead by 4-7 points. Can’t find the Fox sampling data, but I bet it over-sampled Democrats like they always do. Fox has no credibility! They are desperate to defeat Moore at all cost, just like the rest of the MSM.

28. “The result of the first sin was the same as the result of every sin I have ever committed and the same as that of every sin that shall ever be committed. The devil mixes in enough truth to make his lies plausible. Adam and Eve did not become “like God”, they did not “know good” but their eyes were opened and they knew evil. They gained nothing by sin…no one was ever helped one iota by sin. Nothing good has come to pass from that day to this one as a result of sin that could not have come to pass better without sin. Sympathy, breadth of view, needed knowledge: sin never gave these to anyone. The only new knowledge from sin is a knowledge of the bitterness, the misery, the awful loss, the taste of death, which sin always brings.

The worst and always sure result of sin was that the man and woman no longer wanted to see God. Now they wanted to avoid Him, for they had put a barrier between Him and themselves. The exultant joy, the thrill, the sheer gladness of life in Him was replaced by a dull, sodden, grey misery…You have known it. So have I. Why should we allow Satan to succeed in persuading us to replace the one with the other – life over death? When he offers us, as he will before this day is over, that which he will call “good” oh, think of what lies on the other side!” Charles Gallaudet Trumbull – Messages for the Morning Watch

29. david says:

By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith. (Hebrews 11:7)

Like Noah, we have been warned by God, by His Word, even latter day prophecies, “of things not seen as yet”. Like Noah we need to move, by faith with Godly fear, getting ourselves, our families and all who will listen, prepared for the Lord’s coming.

30. Just as predicted, Fox releases one outlier poll today showing Jones way ahead of Moore and it will be reported by every TV and radio newscast every hour until tomorrow. When Moore was ahead in 6 polls last week, no one reported on the results. Total blackout on favorable Moore polling results. Tomorrow will be a very upsetting day for the MSM.

31. duchess01 says:

TUESDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2017
    The Messiah in Hanukkah – Messianic Significance of Chanukah

32. Lucille says:

“Quotes falsely attributed to Mother Teresa and significantly paraphrased versions or personal interpretations of statements that are not her authentic words”

This quote attribution seems to be correct…and the philosophy rings true….

33. Lucille says:

“Robert Spencer video: Pakistan releases jihad mastermind, again shows it’s no ally of US”
    December 10, 2017

34. ray76 says:

A senior Justice Department official demoted last week for concealing his meetings with the men behind the anti-Trump “dossier” had even closer ties to Fusion GPS

Nellie H. Ohr, wife of the demoted official, Bruce G. Ohr, worked for the opposition research firm last year.

35. Lucille says:

Good news….

“Two Companies That Sold Aborted Baby Parts for Planned Parenthood Forced to Close Down”
    By Steven Ertelt – December 9, 2017

36. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, if it is your will, we pray that Judge Roy Moore will win his bid for the Senate.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

37. ray76 says:

38. ray76 says:

Schiff’s 2000 Congressional campaign against Republican incumbent Jim Rogan was openly financially aided by Soros-financed MoveOn.org.

Schiff was also awarded the Toll Fellowship, which is sponsored by the Council of State Governments, a nonprofit heavily financed by Soros’s Open Society Foundations.

39. tazz2293 says:

Not for the strict traditionalist. Still funny.