NYT Thomas Friedman Interviews MbS in Saudi Arabia…

There’s an interesting interview within the New York Times written by Thomas Friedman who interviews Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman about the current changes taking place within Saudi Arabia and MbS’s intense drive to modernize and engage.  The article is well worth reading.

CTH would be remiss if we didn’t draw attention to the level of jaw-dropping weasel linguistics that Friedman uses to jump on the MbS bandwagon.  If you have never read Friedman’s interviews of President Obama –EXAMPLE HERE– you might not see it.

However, if you have watched the decade of fawning idolatry expressed by Friedman toward the Chicago lightbringer you’ll immediately notice the tell-tale signs of a pontificating liberal [shallow-minded simpleton] attempting to retain relevance by claiming proximity toward perspectives that are 180 degrees away from his previous prose.

There’s a particular level of inauthentic weaselistics that goes beyond the normal level of liberal snobbery.  If you’ve ever experienced the shallow pinky-raised elites, group-talking about their sensitive wine palates while the Sommelier tricks them with $10 vino; or if you’ve heard stories of the cloistered-clutch waxing philosophically at art exhibitions which were actually switched for Kindergarten scribbles… well, then you know Friedman’s tribe.

In real terms there’s a level of profound irony within this interview.  The changes within Saudi Arabia are directly supported by a U.S. president empowering Saudi Arabia to manifest its own destiny.

President Trump has reshaped mid-east policy, and formed a strong coalition, based on a partnership among co-equals.  This is not about the U.S., this change is about Saudi Arabia.

That Trumpian outlook is a complete reverse of the Bush/Obama Doctrine of forcing their personal definition of ‘Western values‘ to provide support.   Yet Friedman can’t even see that paradigm shift; his ideology is so mired in selfishness it is invisible to him.

Just like Teh One espousing best foreign policy from a position of his personal view on the matter, hence Obama’s use of: “I this” and “I that”, everything is about them.  Even serious and consequential international geopolitical shifts are expressed by these elitist news-scribes through the prism of prideful self relevance:

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — I never thought I’d live long enough to write this sentence: The most significant reform process underway anywhere in the Middle East today is in Saudi Arabia. Yes, you read that right. Though I came here at the start of Saudi winter, I found the country going through its own Arab Spring, Saudi style.

Unlike the other Arab Springs — all of which emerged bottom up and failed miserably, except in Tunisia — this one is led from the top down by the country’s 32-year-old crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, and, if it succeeds, it will not only change the character of Saudi Arabia but the tone and tenor of Islam across the globe. Only a fool would predict its success — but only a fool would not root for it.

To better understand it I flew to Riyadh to interview the crown prince, known as “M.B.S.,” who had not spoken about the extraordinary events here of early November, when his government arrested scores of Saudi princes and businessmen on charges of corruption and threw them into a makeshift gilded jail — the Riyadh Ritz Carlton — until they agreed to surrender their ill-gotten gains. You don’t see that every day.

We started with the obvious question: What’s happening at the Ritz?  (read more)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Decepticons, Deep State, Dem Hypocrisy, media bias, President Trump, Professional Idiots, Saudi Arabia, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

194 Responses to NYT Thomas Friedman Interviews MbS in Saudi Arabia…

1. M33 says:

George Friedman was a much better thinker than Thomas.

2. CoffeeBreak says:

Like. I bookmarked to re-read again later. I’m not absorbing much information right now. Thank you.

• lastinillinois says:

Trip-tophanning?

• CoffeeBreak says:

That and the wine. I went full bore today because I couldn’t make myself stick to a vegan plan. Tomorrow’s a new day. I’ll get back on the program.

• Katherine McCoun says:

Please be very careful with veganism. For a short time, for a cleanse, for a phase of life, it may be good. Please do it wisely and carefully. Including more veggies, good idea. Staying away from all fast food, Very good idea. Eating only meat and animal products from healthy farms, that lived in a healthy way and were fed proper diets, all Very good, health improving moves. But veganism can be a health ruiner. I was raised vegan and have the health issues to show for it including issues from chronic Vit B12 depravation, chronic anemia, etc. Also, I was raised with much soy and that added many health issues. I only share because it was very detrimental to my health. Take care.

• CoffeeBreak says:

Thank you, Katherine. I do remember a comment you’d made earlier in the past few weeks(?) about this and I’ve taken your good information to heart. Thank you for caring about fellow Treepers and taking the time to say something.

• Katherine McCoun says:

So glad you took my comments as intended and didn’t take my comments as bossy or preachy. Simple, whole foods made from scratch, plenty of veggies, good quality meat and wholesome ingredients will serve well. You might enjoy looking into home fermented foods as well. Weston Price diet has been our basic guide for years but with no grain as that doesn’t work for us (I MISS grains but arthritis and fibromyalgia like symptoms are greatly reduced without it so its easy to say no to all grain products & both my son and husband feel much better with only a little grain like oats and rice in their diet). Best of luck finding what works best for you and being the healthiest you.

• pohakea says:

T Friedman is imho insufferable, to a deplorable (moi). That is French (for those libs who studied Russian, only). Great info from Dr Price; I also follow GundryMD. Two safe lectin-free grains that I now love are sorghum and millet: no inflammatories, yo! “Plant Paradox,” book, in your public library.

• suejeanne1 says:

On the cover of “Time” magazine for the November 24, 1997 issue, a gigantic, menacing Saddam Hussein is glaring down at a little Bill Clinton – ‘SHOWDOWN” is emblazoned across the cover –

within, an article about the really scary Saddam confronting President Clinton – Thomas Friedman and George Stephanopoulos discuss the grave danger posed by the Iraqi leader and they OPENLY discuss assassinating Saddam Hussein – they even contemplated a “head shot” for Saddam Hussein –

all these twenty years since I saw that “Time” magazine in the grocery store and read it I have been wanting to know why Thomas Friedman and George Stephanopoulos were not totally castigated and kicked to the curb for making those statements. I cannot read anything written by Thomas Friedman without wondering why anyone gives him any credence. He is such a jerk!

I was going to try to paste a link here but it did not pan out –

if you want to see that “Time” magazine cover, the date was November 24, 1997.

• Fe says:

I was vegan for four years, and made everything from scratch using whole foods. It was the best I’ve felt in years. I plan to get back to more plant based this coming year. I still make plant based chili and it’s no different than chili with hamburger. Tastes the same. I have tons of vegan/veterinarian cookbooks. What caused me to fall away was nerve neuropathy in my left foot and leg. It’s difficult to stand for any period of time without pain (and my back as well). But I am starting to feel better again, so, hoping 2018 will be a much better year health-wise than 2016 and 2017.

• YvonneMarie says:

Plant Based Eating is the healthiest form of eating. There are supplements for B12; or just eat meat once or twice a week. Right? 🙂

• candofeminist says:

Some words of wisdom.
              Eat a varied diet.
              Everything in moderation.
              It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles you but what comes out of the mouth, that is what defiles you.

• Carrie2 says:

Katherine, I completely agree with you. I am a health consultant so vegans and vegetarians don’t like me to remind them of what their bodies need to be well and survive. I only guess they like their teeth turning dark to black from lack of calcium that red meat gets the calcium to the bones, or they hair is greyer than mine at 80 will ever be – I still have my own dirty blonde hair, that they will have many illnesses due to needed protein which no amount of plant protein can provide what the body needs. God gave us such good foods to eat, so no reason to turn up your noses to them. Don’t eat in excess (like those 16 o or 32 oz steaks!) or live on sweets because your body is not satisfied without some flesh in the diet, eggs are so full of many needed nutrients and so many ways to prepare them. I always suggest they read the book Vegetarian Myths because the author actually wound up with spinal problems before wising up. I am blessed with good health and energy and brain power and so glad when I was seriously ill that I went to study nutrition and found that I was sick because of poor choices. Bless you and your recovery. By the way raw soy is good but soy in other formats is not good, which is why in our home we use only Shaklee protein products. No worry about affecting the breasts – but on the other hand cellphones are affecting brains, breasts and the crotch area with cancers.

• Founding Fathers Fan says:

Eat a healthy diet
            Exercise
            Quit smoking
            Die anyway
            Just enjoy your life

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

You do have to be careful, I found that out when I became a Pegan. Which means I’m almost vegan except I eat fowl. No mammal products since the alpha gal problem that came from the bite of a Lone Star Tick. I did have to supplement B-12, and some other stuff. I don’t tolerate mammal products at all now.

• The Devilbat says:

Wheat is also a real killer.

• Michael says:

Absolutely correct! Especially modern hybrids. I quit eating wheat in any form. No gluten. No gluten means no gliadin. No gliadin means no middle of the night hunger and refrigerator raids at 2AM. Weight melts away as hunger pangs no longer rule me.

• brh82 says:

If you have very vivid bad dreams, and sometimes beat on your bedmate, blame it on Soy products. We were great fans of Asian foods until we discovered MSG and soy products cause wild nights. It’s amazing how many foods and condiments contain soy as a taste booster.

• G. Combs says:

Worse, even though we know certain vitamins are only available through meat in a diet (and therefore can be added) we do not know what other meat only compounds we need.

Role of red meat in the diet for children and adolescents

Were you aware that we actually NEED ARSENIC in the diet?
            A toxic brew we cannot live without. Micronutrients give insights into the interplay between geochemistry and evolutionary biology
            “[…]Even arsenic, the poison of choice for many fictional murderers, is now close to qualifying as a micronutrient in animals. It seems that arsenic has a role in the metabolism of the amino acid methionine and in gene silencing (Uthus, 2003). Other work suggests that it has a positive interaction with the more important micronutrient selenium (Zeng et al, 2005).

In fact, if arsenic is essential for humans, its recommended daily intake would be little different from selenium, which is so important that evolution incorporated it into the rare amino acid selenocysteine—the crucial component of the antioxidizing selenoproteins that help to repair other proteins from oxidative damage. The recommended dose of selenium is 40 μg per day, whereas extrapolations from mammalian studies suggest that humans might need between 12.5 μg and 25 μg of arsenic.[…]”

So I agree with Katherine McCoun, stick to locally grown meat where you can actually visit and see for yourself the conditions the animals are raised in if you can. It is one of the things I love about NC, although it has a downside. NC is boron poor and has a high incidence of arthritis as a result.

• I’m surprised your parents did not know about B12!! I tried being vegetarian a couple of times, but I cannot get enough protein from plants. I’m lactose intolerant so I could not eat any cheese or dairy either. My nails start shredding after about 3 weeks, and I feel it gave me premature aging of the skin.

I now eat a well-rounded diet; I do eat red meat but usually not more than once a week (after a long hike, I really feel a craving for a hamburger!). Mostly poultry and fish. I eat about 75% organic; animal is either organic or hormone/antibiotic free. Vegies are all organic and I eat quite a lot, even for breakfast!

I also take a lot of nutritional supplements; I do use soy milk but mostly it goes in my coffee and if I need it for cooking. It is all non-gmo. I have a friend who is vegan…good luck to her is all I have to say.

• Katherine McCoun says:

They knew about b12 but thought we could eat a well rounded vegan diet (oxymoron!) and get enough via plant based options, including Brewers yeast for b12. Veganism and vegetarianism have been around for a long time, before people fully understood its ramifications. SDA church was promoting it in the 1800s. My Grandmother reduced her meat eating, my mother was mostly vegetarian most of her life and even during pregnancy. They were influenced by their church and doing what they thought was best for us but they were wrong.

Yes, there are many nutrients in meat not found elsewhere or found in very small amounts or found in less bio available forms. Iron in plants and iron in meat is not the same. Plants have a fraction of the iron and what they do have is less readily available. Just one example.

Most negatives of meat can be negated by your source of meat and the proportion of meat to other things in your diet. Proper fats (careful of vegetable oils and increase hard fats like tallow) and judicious use of grain and sugar will solve many issues for which meat/animal products are currently blamed.

• mossback says:

Cows eat grass and I eat cows…..so does that make me a vegetarian by proxy?

• NvMtnOldMan says:

I am 81 and have all my hair and all my teeth and the teeth are white, proper weight. No health problems. low statins erc. I avoid all so called health foods and eat a combination of meat and veggies and am active. Remember coyotes eat meat and cows eat veggies. Coyotes are active and cows are not.

• KPomeroy says:

If you can’t stick to it, your body’s telling you something. Add all the delicious foods you can think of: avocados, nuts, tortillas and refried beans (vegan type). And if you can tolerate foods that never had conscious life, add cheese omelets topped with yogurt.

• Deborah @UnTamedInSD says:

good idea…. me neither, still too full to engage my brain and after cooking for two days , cleaning house and entertaining everyone.. I too tired to care about my brain engagement LOL

• wondering999 says:

I just don’t know what to think about this situation, even if I weren’t full of turkey stuffing I’d be concerned but baffled.

I’m grateful that Sundance is seeking out and posting information about Saudi Arabia.. I want to keep learning more. And, I’m praying hard. God help us all

3. M33 says:

George Friedman was a much better thinker than Thomas.

4. POP says:

It’s easy to forget there was no US mass media counter argument to the Statist left as championed by Tom 30 years ago (beyond some niche publications) .
    The net has changed everything.

5. lastinillinois says:

I love Sundance’ description of Friedman – describes him absolutely perfectly in my opinion.

I just can’t stomach Friedman, never could.
    The only thing worse than stumbling onto – and realizing I’ve wandered into – a Friedman article, is seeing his idiot face pop up on my tv while flipping channels.

As a matter of fact, I’m pretty sure I just developed a case of IBS just from reading these first few paragraphs.

6. P 16:18-20 (trying to trick wp….2nd try)
    18Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
    19Better it is to be of an humble spirit with the lowly, than to divide the spoil with the proud.
    20He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he.

7. ALEX says:

We have read Sundance describe his thoughts on the new Sunni and Israelis coalition to confront Iran these past months. It seems to be falling into place in more ways then one. The modernization program of MBS is startling.

This is the one and only mention of our President by sleazy Friedman. Sad these people are still employed or taken serious…

“His general view seemed to be that with the backing of the Trump administration — he praised President Trump as “the right person at the right time” — the Saudis and their Arab allies were slowly building a coalition to stand up to Iran. I am skeptical.

8. RJ says:

Is Friedman the guy that lives in a gated multi-million dollar mansion with his rich wife?

9. Markus says:

That photo of Friedman and Obama, right?

I almost burst simultaneously into both tears and laughter when I see it. Eddington and Einstein discussing general relativity back in early days. Before the theory became mainstream.

Friedman plays Eddington’s “I cant think of the third person in the world besides us” ( who understands the concept), no?

• crossrib says:

You captured it perfectly.

• ColonelO says:

I cant judge the author because what folks are saying is probably true. But God’s word is there just the same if I dig deep enough.

Speaking of which… can someone point me to the “Alabama Boom” thread? The Saudi prince’s excitement is contagious. I cant wait to read more.

10. Katherine McCoun says:

“Unlike the other Arab Springs — all of which emerged bottom up and failed miserably, except in Tunisia — this one is led from the top down by the country’s 32-year-old crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman…”

I am doubtful that the Arab Springs were from the “bottom up” and I am incredibly suspicious that they were organic or even native to the Arab countries. Seems to be they were seeded, encouraged and pulled along by the Deep State, CIA and even Google executives. I think they weren’t bottom up but from the outside. This reform/change is being by leaders from within rather than forced and flames fanned from without.

I still don’t get the Arab Springs, the US reaction to the Arab Springs, what we/the US would have gained from the Arab Springs changes and why the US possibly thought it was good and acceptable to interfere in foreign nations in such a way! Why don’t other countries call the US out on the Deep State’s interference!?! Why does our own “media” not see the hypocrisy of the Russia conspiracy when the US has involved itself in other countries affairs and elections for years?

That episode and the US behavior during/toward the situation left me with so many questions. Why was the US so eager for the changes of the Arab Springs? Why were democracies encouraged when we aren’t even a democracy? Perhaps because mob rule is so much easier to influence and because there is so little accountability? Why did the US support the Muslim Brotherhood in many of these countries when they do not support us?

• wondering999 says:

Agree, Katherine.

• lastinillinois says:

I think we’ve more or less determined that ‘the springs’ were all products of the US Sec of State Dept, no?

• Katherine McCoun says:

I am amazed how many things are now facts that if I had heard someone voice at the time I would have labeled a crazy, imagined “conspiracy theory”. Now, we know so many things actually were due to conspiracies within the gov such as this, such as the IRS targeting conservatives and conservative groups and the list goes on and on.

• Thecleaner says:

I think you are right.
        Lets see how this one plays out. I dont trust the Saudis.
        I think they are aiming for a UAE style transformation to suck international banking and western investment out of Dubai/Abu Dhabi. The corruption needs to be flushed before that happens. Time will tell if this is real or one criminal gang purging the competition.

• Cuppa Covfefe says:

I think Soros’s tentacles were in those, just as they were (and are) in the various “color revolutions”. He has been quoted as calling himself a saviour. More like an anti-saviour…

• saywhat64 says:

The Arab Spring was top down and seeded by obama to facilitate the take over of N. Africa by his homies, the muslim brotherhood. Obivious from the beginning by all of us old farts who have been paying attention over the last 30 years..

• Katherine McCoun says:

I had not found the Treehouse at the point or I am sure I would have read about the true causes at the time. I didn’t start reading (and learning) here until the Florida mess. Was so glad to find haven of reason and logic and have been here ever since!

Yes, many things are becoming more obvious as I look back with new understanding.

• Esperanza says:

The only real spring was Iran and Obama helped crush it. The others were Islamist CIA.

• One thing is clear: without the “Arab Spring”, the million+ “refugees” would never crossed Lybia into Italy and the rest of Europe.

• wrd9 says:

Exactly. Liberals like to blame Bush for starting the migrant crisis because of Iraq but the strong men in power(Gaddafi, Assad) were keeping things in check. It’s despicable that the MSM gave a pass to Obama and Clinton when it was obvious they were responsible for this unbelievable disaster and for another disaster, ISIS.

• It is becoming more clear to many of us that the press never “gave” a pass to any of Obama/ the Globalists moves.

They were and still are actively running interference and coverage for them.

Much different than simply turning a blind eye.

• joninmd22 says:

Egypts was engineered by the Muslim Brotherhood and aided by Google and FaceBook. The Ikwan finally came to power after 90 years of being fundamentalist losers and after a year were overthrown in a coup.

Barack Obama hardest hit.

• Blacksmith8 says:

All ‘arab springs’ were funded by you and me the American tax payer. obysmal and cronies paid for guns and toys and bags of money from obi’s stash.

• Justah says:

The “Arab Springs” were organic, from the bottom up. When 100’s of 1,000’s hit the streets at the same time in multiple Countries at the same time ….. that IS organic bottom up. The CIA and TeamObama we’re caught completely flat footed and clueless about the entire thing.

Obama cared about few things. #1 was what was good for him. #2 was promoting Iran.
      He only thought about the Sunni Countries in relation to Iran. Obama was mostly clueless about history and world politics. He is a globalist & listened to other globalists.

The value in the Friedman article is that he knows the area and sees the huge change.
      Freidman better buckle his seatbelt, he hasn’t seen anything yet.
      A major alliance is formed – the major Sunni powers + Israel + TeamTRUMP.

11. GKC says:

I found this a couple of years ago and just thought of it again – the Thomas Friedman op-ed generator

12. anthohmy says:

Who trolled them with kindergarten art, link anybody?

13. Bitcoin & Stock Market Timing says:

Never trust a man with a mustache… I always jokingly tell my kids and wife… this man is a mustache no-trusty!

14. I just love this from SD:
    There’s a particular level of inauthentic weaselistics that goes beyond the normal level of liberal snobbery. If you’ve ever experienced the shallow pinky-raised elites, group-talking about their sensitive wine palates while the Sommelier tricks them with $10 vino; or if you’ve heard stories of the cloistered-clutch waxing philosophically at art exhibitions which were actually switched for Kindergarten scribbles… well, then you know Friedman’s tribe.

Gosh that reminds me of a few of my relatives and I have actually done the fake wine thing,…as long as they thought the local paper’s wine review raved about it so did they but little did they know it was just a cheap red that I liked the taste of….too funny

15. Derek of Florida says:

XLV needs to pull the plug on the Saudi war on Yemen and make sure MbS knows we’re not fighting any Saudi war against Iran or anyone else.

• lastinillinois says:

It doesn’t seem like (at this point, anyway) Pres Trump has promised our troops to Saudi, but rather just promised Saudi that we wouldn’t ‘go obama’ on them and supply jillions of dollars and/or military support to Iran.

• Derek of Florida says:

We’re giving the Saudis targeting and refueling support for airstrikes without which the Saudi air blockade against the Houthis would cease ending their inhumane siege.

• sedge2z says:

Is this true? It does not sound like our President Trump would be a part of such interrogations: ” Saudi Arabia’s most powerful figures were arrested by Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman three weeks ago as he ordered detention of at least 11 fellow princes and hundreds of businessmen & government officials over claims of corruption.

DailyMail.com disclosed that arrests have been followed by ‘interrogations’ which were being carried out by ‘American mercenaries’ that work for the 32-year-old crown prince.

‘They are hanging them upside-down, beating them, torturing them, slapping them, insulting them. They want to break them down,’ the source told DailyMail.com.

‘Blackwater’ has been named as the firm involved, and the claim of its presence in Saudi Arabia has also been made on Arabic social media, and by Lebanon’s president.

16. TexasDude says:

Wasn’t he who wished we could be China for a day?

He is drawn to unadulterated power. He has no affinity for the Constitution nor of it’s ideals. He is totalitarian who believes that power in and of itself deserves respect and obedience.

In other words, Friedman can kiss my hairy, white, European heritage arse!

17. fleporeblog says:

It must have killed Barry’s disciple to hear MBS say the following in the article:

Every second of everyday is precious to MbS, President el-Sisi, King Abdullah etc. because they have a real friend and champion in our Lion 🦁. They don’t want to waste a single minute of it!

18. KittyKat says:

If the timing were such that the new powers that be in KSA were dealing with Obama as president, any ideas on how Obama would have reacted or responded?

19. DeploraBilly says:

I won’t read or watch Thomas Friedman, ever. He knows nothing. He has proved it plenty. Nice try Sundance.

20. NJF says:

Very good read.

I hope MBS is sincere.

21. KittyKat says:

I am not at a Friedman reader and found the article informative and interesting and I didn’t pick up on the subtle undertones, so am glad to have that pointed out. Yes, his failure to acknowledge President Trump’s part is certainly a deficit

22. zephyrbreeze says:

The brown-nosing Eddie Haskell of politics – Thomas Friedman.

• MVW says:

Journalists were all track stars, it has helped them with their daily sprint away from news and truth.

Wally could have been training to be a journalist.

23. thesavvyinvester says:

T.F. came to the world class Detroit Auto show ( NAIAS ) in the mid 2000’s and derided pretty much the big 3 but specifically the Ford Excursion. Yes it was huge, but their was a market for it. Imagine back country skiers and snowmobiler’s needing to get to 13 and 14-er’s. Or how about teams of lineman needing to get to our western power grid, and this is on top of large families that wanted and needed them. I heard western sheep ranchers were snapping them up a while back, used at a good price as they could put a lot of sheep in them if they needed to get them out of harms way in an emergency.

T.F. didn’t get the Excursion, and that is a shame, because while probably a niche vehicle many did. My guess is he didn’t help with his down playing it, as is eventually disappeared. Ever since then, well I kind of resemble “suspicious cat” when he speaks…

• decisiontime16 says:

Friedman’s distain for larger vehicles exemplifies his globalist elite world view.
      He would like all of the commoners to ride in smart cars or take the bus while he and other elites ride around in limos.

The Power of Green
      By Thomas Friedman

“We will need to find a way to reknit America at home, reconnect America abroad and restore America to its natural place in the global order — as the beacon of progress, hope and inspiration. I have an idea how. It’s called “green.”

“Because a new green ideology, properly defined, has the power to mobilize liberals and conservatives, evangelicals and atheists, big business and environmentalists around an agenda that can both pull us together and propel us forward.”

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Yes. Whatever happened to that drive to declare LARGE vehicles as unsafe because if they hit a little Honda, the Honda gets crushed? –This was circa 1993 or 1994. Back then, I did not realize all of these issues were merely Marxist propaganda aimed at bringing down their enemy, our prevailing society. But back then I could tell it was a dumb issue – obviously, the Honda is the less-safe vehicle.

24. Sunshine says:

The right man at the right time. This goes both ways, the USA and Saudi Arabia. God works in strange ways.

25. starfcker says:

Not a fan of freidman, but this is an important piece (can pigs REALLY fly?). Everything in the news (except here) has been completely negative about what is happening in Saudi Arabia. This is almost like an introduction for the masses to new possibilities, from one of their most trusted sources of made up news. Good. Let’s chip in and send Tommy the die-hard globalist a MAGA hat. Never too late, you know.

26. scott467 says:

We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace in Ouja, north of Riyadh. M.B.S. spoke in English, while his brother, Prince Khalid, the new Saudi ambassador to the U.S., and several senior ministers shared different lamb dishes and spiced the conversation. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.’s youth, pointing out that I was exactly twice his age. It’s been a long, long time, though, since any Arab leader wore me out with a fire hose of new ideas about transforming his country.”

________________

Friedman sounds (writes) extremely gay.

Flaming gay.

Like Liberace gay.

• jeans2nd says:

What does that even mean? What kind of nonsense is this?

Come on, Scott. You know better than this. Friedman is a screaming SJW liberal, and that is exactly what Friedman sounds like. Friedman’s writings and words have absolutely NOTHING to do with being gay. Please stop.

• scott467 says:

“What does that even mean? What kind of nonsense is this?”

________________

No nonsense at all. It means that his language contained thinly veiled homosexual references/language/insinuations. They would have been simply sexual insinuations if they were made about a woman, but they weren’t, they were made about a man, and Friedman is also a man, ergo, homosexual. If you were reading it like you might read a movie review, the reviewer would call it ‘homoerotic’, which is (and has been for many decades) often put in to movie scripts by Hollywood liberals/Leftists.

Don’t take my word for it, look it up. I just tried it, search “straight films with homoerotic undertones”. Only 896,000 search results (Google), but still, that’s more than a few.

And I went to some trouble to explain exactly what I was referring to, by highlighting the specific text in boldface.

• scott467 says:

“Come on, Scott. You know better than this.”

_______________

Know better than what? To be honest and direct?

Or to observe the lies of political-correctness?

If you believe I said anything wrong, what was it (specifically) and why?

“Friedman is a screaming SJW liberal, and that is exactly what Friedman sounds like. Friedman’s writings and words have absolutely NOTHING to do with being gay. Please stop.”

________________

I don’t doubt that Friedman is a scraming SJW leftist. I don’t read his articles (I could barely get through the excerpt above). I was commenting specifically on the paragraph I quoted in my original post. Let’s review:

We met at night at his family’s ornate adobe-walled palace in Ouja, north of Riyadh.”

Is that a dime store novel, a daytime soap-opera, or what? “We met at night”? Cue the melodrama mood music…

What does ‘night’ have to do with anything? If they met in the day, would have have begun “We met in the day”?

…and spiced the conversation.”

By itself, it’s just a weird thing to say. In context of the surrounding paragraph, I don’t even know what to call it.

…I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.’s youth.”

Are you kidding me? “I surrendered… to [his] youth”? Who talks like that? Is he a femme fatale out of a 1940s film noir, or a man?

……………………….
        Surrendered
        transitive verb
        1 a : to yield to the power, control, or possession of another upon compulsion or demand surrendered the fort
        b : to give up completely or agree to forgo especially in favor of another

2 a : to give (oneself) up into the power of another especially as a prisoner
        b : to give (oneself) over to something (such as an influence)

intransitive verb
        : to give oneself up into the power of another : yield
        ……………………….

Have you EVER expressed yourself that way, with regard to another human being?

Yeah, me neither.

…wore me out with a fire hose…

Stop it already.

I’ve never seen “Broke Back Mountain”, and I don’t intend to. Friedman’s article is close enough.

If this isn’t (and wasn’t intended to) have homosexual undertones, then somebody needs to let Friedman know that he’s accidentally setting off people’s Gaydar like WWII air-raid sirens coast to coast, lol!

• KPomeroy says:

Whew! What a story. It’s subliminal: “We met at night. After nearly four hours together, I surrendered at 1:15 a.m. to M.B.S.’s youth. It’s been a long, long time since any Arab leader wore me out with a fire hose.”

• Justah says:

• scott467 says:

“That always been his writing style – I actually remember Tom Friedman from the late 70’s to early 80’s – when he was a real journalist before he moved to New York to work for the Times.”

________________

Then Friedman is a powerfully feminine man, as in, he has ‘surrendered’ to his inner woman.

This isn’t complicated or even controversial. There is no way to talk as Friedman did and communicate anything resembling ‘masculine’. He sounds like a teenage girl dramatizing a chance encounter with a celebrity heart throb. Except he’s a man, an older man at that, talking about another man (and a younger man, at that). The whole thing was creepy.

Give it the ‘Eastwood’ test. I’m not suggesting that anyone should emulate or use Clint Eastwood as a role model, or filter their language through what Clint Eastwood might say. I’m just saying that if you are in doubt or find yourself crossing into questionable territory, it can be instructive.

Just ask yourself a simple question.

Would Clint Eastwood ever say that, under any conceivable circumstances?

Would Clint Eastwood ever say that he met another man at night, spiced the conversation, surrendered to the other man’s youth, who then wore him out with a fire hose?

If the answer is “no” (or ‘not in a million lifetimes’), then you might want to re-think what you’re about to say, LOL!

27. Icestation3 says:

This article is fundamentally flawed due to the belief that all Western interventions around the world were bad. The truth is far more complicated.

Western Cold War inventions around the world, including in places like the Middle East were critically important. We were fighting Soviet backed collectivism which had the power and resources to take over and negatively influence whole nations. We know exactly how dangerous collectivists are when they successfully mobilize. When collectivists successfully relocated and re-branded themselves as progressives after the fall of the Soviet Union they just couldn’t help themselves.

All of the post Cold War inventions around the world – Yugoslavia, Somalia, Iraq, Libya and the Ukraine – were all done by progressives. We believed that we had won and that the fight for power and influence was over. But collectivists never stop. The progressive dominated EU in post 1980’s Western Europe in collaboration with progressive administration in America went interventionist utopian crazy – Clintons, Tony Blair, Merkel, George W Bush, Obama and H Clinton – The whole Samantha Power doctrine of Responsibility to Protect is pure collectivist utopianism.

Trump represents the classical liberal fightback which can be summed up as the Reagan/Kissinger doctrine. Actively supporting wherever possible regimes favourable to Western ideals. This started in Egypt with our backing of Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. Progressives actively supported the Muslim Brotherhood during the period when they were in power. Trump successfully helped reversed this dangerous infiltration by the far-left. And he is continuing to actively promote our values elsewhere.

• POP says:

The USA needs to demonstrate by neglect the results of no interventions anywhere.
      A concept of neglect, to assign responsibility, that I agree with 100%.
      Let Germany / Europe “deal” with Russia v Ukraine. What possible US interest beyond ego is there? Russia wants Ukraine? Go ahead, Europe then quakes in its boots, and I couldn’t care less. Wish Ukraine luck but no US lives thanks boys.

Wonderful therapy.

• joninmd22 says:

Fundamentally flawed is too strong of a criticism. The article is written from a liberal know nothing snobs point of view and includes the typical boilerplate either/or arguments and personal opinions of the writer.

Getting past them the impact on closed minded liberals reading it will cause heads to splody.

The impact of MbS on the Kingdom and larger Islamic world is given fair treatment here by a third rate intellect of a writer.

28. wheatietoo says:

Insufferable weasels like Tommy Friedman should be drop-kicked into an ISIS/Daesh camp and left to fend for themselves.

It is irksome to think of this putz doing an interview with Prince Salman.
    He probably brought shame on us every time he opened his little rodent mouth.

Thanks, Sundance, for the heads up on this…and for your insights.
    Most excellent description of this proggy mouthpiece and a pleasure to read.

The thought of Friedman trying to “jump on the MbS bandwagon” is nauseating.
    Something tells me that this young Saudi Prince is savvy enough to recognize what a sniveling decepticon this guy is, and kept his guard up.

29. POP says:

Hee, hee….don’t blame Tom for his posturing regurgitation of post modernist Statist neo marxism as standard media agitprop.

But make sure your kids understand what he wants them to think and why.

30. Nikki/Chico says:

The name Salmon is in the genealogy of Jesus Christ:

Ruth 4:20 Amminadab begot Nahshon, and Nahshon begot Salmon;
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Ruth 4:21Salmon begot Boaz, and Boaz begot Obed;
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Matthew 1:4 Ram begot Amminadab, Amminadab begot Nahshon, and Nahshon begot Salmon.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Matthew 1:5Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab, Boaz begot Obed by Ruth, Obed begot Jesse,
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
    Luke 3:32the son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon, the son of Nahshon,

Interesting times. 😉

• 7delta says:

Considering all the conquering, forced conversions and sex slavery Islam has imposed on the world within its reach, since its inception, it’s no surprise that Muslims, indigenous to the Middle east, have Jewish DNA.

I don’t know that an Arabic Salmon is the same line as the Jewish Salmon, since common names and words between near cultures can be the same, but will carry very different meanings and origins in each language and culture. Also, names repeated then, as now, among people who had no blood relation to one another.

Still, your observation is very interesting. That would be quite a twist-of-fate “rabbit hole.”

• kroesus says:

only mixed blood lines through interaction/breeding between them….God definitely established separate trees….Muslims often have similar names as they revere Ibrahim (Abraham) as their father and Esau (Jesus) as a prophet

31. georgiafl says:

Media/Journalists in broadcast or print are now opinion shapers – aka propagandists.

They sell themselves to their bosses or to the highest bidder, to fellow traveler ideologues, for hidden agendas.

They have become spin doctors and brazen liars….

• georgiafl says:

This was in response to Sundance’s term ‘weasel wording’.

Media also use flame wording, fake sources, and many other tricks.

In interviews, press conferences and debates, they pack negatives, insinuations and assertions packed into questions like politicians pack bills with pork.

Journalists are less honest because they are less accountable since Sullivan vs NYTimes…which took away much of the constraint and deterrence/consequences for slander/libel. Sullivan vs NYT needs to be revisited and repealed.

32. Icestation3 says:

There is a fundamental difference between utopian-minded progressives wanting the Middle East and other parts of the world to be like us, and the political right-wing intervening to stop collectivists from taking over large parts of the world.

We know that the extreme left actively tried to build power and influence around the world for decades. Classical liberals in the West were effectively forced into a defensive action which involved moving troops and munitions into distant lands to support favourable regimes. Putin is doing this right now in Syria.

When the Anglosphere launched huge military missions into continental Europe and Asia during WW2, it was not motivated by utopianism. Lumping all forms of intervention together is just pure idiocy which is what many people on the political right are doing.

Collectivists successfully relocated and rebranded after the collapse of the Soviet Union. They had been infiltrating Western Europe and America for decades so by the 1990’s they were in a very good position to take control which they did primarily through the powers of the EU and UN. The rise to power of the hippy generation represented by people like Tony Blair in politics, and Richard Branson in business also strengthened their grip on Western institutions.

The extreme left has Fabian utopianism in it’s bloodstream. Their successful defeat of Slobodan Milosevicthe in the Yugoslavia War sent the progressives into an interventionist frenzy. Further regime changes in Iraq and Libya, the overthrowing of a democratically elected government in the Ukraine, the active support of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, and their most recent attempt to depose Assad in Syria is evidence of interventionism on a grand scale.

We knew exactly how much collectivists were attempting to build power and influence during the cold-war which resulted in the successful neo-con strategy described below:

‘Our first objective is to prevent the re-emergence of a new rival, either on the territory of the former Soviet Union or elsewhere, that poses a threat on the order of that posed formerly by the Soviet Union. This is a dominant consideration underlying the new regional defense strategy and requires that we endeavor to prevent any hostile power from dominating a region whose resources would, under consolidated control, be sufficient to generate global power.’

But the political right-wing went to sleep after defeating communism at the end of the 1980’s. A massive shift of the Overton window during the following two decades further disguised the extent to which the extreme left had completely taken control. Classical liberals even began to label the actions of their ideological enemy as their own resulting in them further retreating from the world stage.

33. Icestation3 says:

The evidence for a major ideological switch having taken place within Western civilization during the last 1/4 century, and the resulting rise of the neo-progressives (who have absolutely nothing to do with the 1950’s -1980’s neo-cons such as Reagan and Kissinger) who I’m suggesting went interventionist crazy post-late 1990’s really depends on understanding the Bush family.

Most people can probably accept the idea that the Clinton’s are both neo-progressives but surely George W Bush was a conservative president. We know that he was strongly ideologically aligned with Tony Blair who is unquestionably a raving progressive. In fact, Bush was also best buddies with Invite-All-The-Muslims-Merkel and Heir-To-Blair-Cameron.

We also know that the Bush family hate Trump because he wouldn’t stop talking about illegal immigration. Such ‘racist’ talk would have seemed very disturbing to these pro-amnesty people. And lets not forget that both Bush presidents oversaw massive increases in the size of government in America during their terms in office.

George W Bush was also more than happy to pursue the sub-prime mortgage scams started under the Clinton administration and the later bank bailouts because continuing Bill Clinton’s wonderful progressive policies to help the black community obtain properties they couldn’t afford was just so very conservative. And did you know that the Bush family are friends with the Bono’s who openly praised George W Bush for his African AIDS relief program?

• Larry Bucar says:

R U shtting me? Read ROGER Stone’s book, Jeb! and the Bush Crime Family: The Inside Story of an American Dynasty, B$N $28.00

• jonvil says:

They are ‘America Last’ GLOBALISTS!!!

• kroesus says:

generally a good comment but the W administration began warning of economic instability due to CRA and BJ’s strengthening of it in 1995 as early as 2003…..the continuation of government supported entitlement (Fannie and Freddie Mac) were spearheaded by none other than Barney Frank and Chris Dodd

34. H.R. says:

George vs Thomas Friedman: They say the nut doesn’t fall far from the tree, but it’s still a nut.

35. Blacksmith8 says:

At first I couldn’t believe Sundance would sully the windows of TCTH with the stain of the slimes and the only child Milton wishes he didn’t have.
    Then I read the intro.

heh ‘weaselistics ‘ according to webster that would be the inverse of WOLVERINE!

36. Mongoose says:

I have to laugh at the efforts by everyone, which I whole heartedly applaud, to avoid any discussion of the buffoon named Freidman, an economist who has earned his mantle the hard way, he shat himself! He is disgusting and therefore and easy subject to avoid. Keep up the good work Treepers! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

37. Michael says:

Is he writing about Saudi Arabia or Washington, DC?

“There is no way, he added, to root out all corruption from top to the bottom, “So you have to send a signal, and the signal going forward now is, ‘You will not escape.’ And we are already seeing the impact,” like people writing on social media, “I called my middle man and he doesn’t answer.” Saudi business people who paid bribes to get services done by bureaucrats are not being prosecuted, explained M.B.S. “It’s those who shook the money out of the government” — by overcharging and getting kickbacks.”

38. n1ghtcr4wler says:

I despise Friedman. Just take a look at his headlines

“China Could Sell Trump the Brooklyn Bridge
    The president got played in his trade talks in Beijing last week.”

“Trump, Niger and Connecting the Dots
    We have a narrow-view president in a big-picture world.”

39. napoleon32 says:

I love the bewildered statement by Friedman when he relays his amazement that ordinary Saudi citizens are cheering MbS shaking the dirty money out of the corrupt princes without a trial. It’s like, for all that he claims to know about the kingdom, he can’t comprehend that Saudi culture and societal norms are completely different than his own and living under an absolute monarchy is not the same as living in a federal republic. His smarmy elitism permeates throughout the entire article.

And, of course, we have the usual lefty smooch to Iran’s rear end and lofty proclamations its’ “unassailable” position as regional hegemon. Never mind that they’re practically on the brink of economic collapse (just like they were before Barry bailed them out to the applause of coastal elites like Friedman) and that they’ve lost a number of their best military minds in Syria. More Iranians are starting to openly defy the regime, and I am certain Trump will not turn his back on them like Barry did. I wouldn’t be stunned if the Saudis, Egyptians, and the other Gulf countries are currently spreading subversive propaganda against the Iranian regime across the country.

This is the true Arab Spring. But rather than spreading chaos, it is spreading reform.

40. Phil aka Felipe says:

Thomas Friedman is just another Liberal fool I cannot abide.

41. coltlending says:

“But one thing I know for sure: Not a single Saudi I spoke to here over three days expressed anything other than effusive support for this anticorruption drive. The Saudi silent majority is clearly fed up with the injustice of so many princes and billionaires ripping off their country. While foreigners, like me, were inquiring about the legal framework for this operation, the mood among Saudis I spoke with was: “Just turn them all upside down, shake the money out of their pockets and don’t stop shaking them until it’s all out!””

When Friedman heard those words I wonder if it dawned on him that’s the same sentiment in the USA vis-a-vis the citizinery’s feeling toward globalists and their political puppets and it’s why PDJT is POTUS.

Will Freidman ever give PDJT credit for his handiling of ISIS and the Middle East?

I doubt it.

42. JudgeFudge says:

The title “Court Historian” was literally made for this man.

And, 95% of the general public can write better than he does. Can you believe the man who can’t help but butcher a pun or analogy has 3 Pulitzer prizes?

43. JudgeFudge says:

Ever since King Salman and the Crown Prince touched the Orb of Cofeve with Trump, amazing things have been happening.

44. James W Crawford says:

The best news about Saudi Arabia is that the Total Fertility Rate has been plummeting for two decades. On average, Saudi women are having only 2.2 children verses 6 potential Jihadists per woman the previous generation. Hopefully; the decline will continue until they not breed themselves into oblivion.

45. Donna in Oregon says:

The Saudi Royals are targets. UBL was just a symptom. This is the first time it’s been acknowledged.