President Trump and First Lady Melania Attend State Dinner in Japan…

President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump attend a State Dinner in Japan as guests of Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Mrs. Akie Abe at the Akasaka Palace.  At the beginning of the dinner both the Prime Minister and the President offer toasts.

[Transcript] PRIME MINISTER ABE: (As interpreted.) Good evening, everyone. My name is Shinzo Abe. I’m extremely delighted to host tonight’s banquet here at the State Guest House in honor of the very first visit to Japan by my dear friend, President Trump, and Madam First Lady, Ms. Melania Trump.

Yesterday’s golf diplomacy between Donald and me attracted so much attention, and we actually made everything public, except for the score. And, through golf, we could demonstrate to the world how strong the bond is between Japan and the United States.

But Donald and I are not the first to promote this unique golf diplomacy. Just 60 years ago, my grandfather, Prime Minister Kishi, and President Eisenhower are the ones who initiated this tradition. And after the golf match, President Eisenhower shared two lessons with my grandfather. One, once you become a President of the United States, you need to be at a table with a group of people whom you dont like to hang out. Second, when it comes to playing golf, you can play golf only with those who you really, really like to hang out.

But speaking of my relationship with President Trump, that is not enough. If I may add another lesson to the legacy of Prime Minister Kishi and President Eisenhower, I would say it like this: When you play golf with someone not just once, but for two times, the person must be your favorite guy.

So, yesterday, we had the pleasure of playing golf together with Mr. Hideki Matsuyama. And, tonight, we are so honored to have the participation of Mr. Isao Aoki, who is a pioneer in Japanese golf. (Applause.)

Even during the time that played golf with President Trump, the President and I were talking about Mr. Aoki. It is all about how his putting that was something that the entire world were mesmerized. And Donald told me as follows: Mr. Aoki’s putting was just like super, super artistic. But you should never try to do the same, because that is the only thing that Mr. Aoki can only do, and you will not be able to do that. So next time we play golf together, I would love to have Mr. Aoki to join us and enjoy the time that I will spend with Mr. Trump.

Speaking of the First Ladies, I understand that my wife Akie and Madam First Lady had a chance to try Japanese calligraphy. Each wrote one Chinese character, or kanji: “hei” by Madam First Lady, which means being smooth and calm; and “wa” by my wife Akie, which stands for harmony. And when combined, these two letters literally mean “peace.” And I think their wonderful joint work represents our alliance very nicely.

Under our alliance, Japan and the United States work hand-in-hand to contribute to regional and global peace.

For two days, President Trump and I spent many, many hours together, and had an in-depth discussion on various global challenges. And I’m particularly grateful for President Trump and Madam First Lady, who kindly spent their time with a former abductee and the family members of those who had been abducted by North Korea.

And it’s been only one year since I first saw President Trump in New York City. And looking back the over the half-century history of Japan-U.S. alliance, we have never seen two leaders of Japan and the United States forging as close relationship as ours and as strong bond in ours in just one year.

Of course, I’m very proud of my relationship with President Trump, but we are not the only ones who have supported this invaluable friendship between Japan and the United States. And on this occasion, I would like to acknowledge tremendous efforts by leaders from various fields, including political, business, and cultural leaders who are here today.

In honor of such contribution to our invaluable friendship, I invited many distinguished guests who have been making every effort to deepen our friendship. And I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere appreciation and also ask for further support for the development of our bilateral relationship.

Last but not least, let me share with you my honest impression about President Trump’s visit to Japan this time. As I said, this was the very first visit by President Trump and it was indeed a historic visit. And I do hope that you will enjoy your last night in Tokyo as you wish. And also, I sincerely hope that you will have a really successful trip to Asia this time, which started here in Japan.

So with that, I now would like to propose a toast wishing all the best to President Trump and Madam First Lady, and also wishing for the further development of the friendship between Japan and the United States.

(A toast is offered.) (Applause.)

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Prime Minister and Mrs. Abe, this has been a really wonderful two days. We have to spend more time together because I have enjoyed every minute of it, even though he’s a very, very tough negotiator. And, Melania, a real friend of yours now is Mrs. Abe. And I know you enjoyed it with me. You enjoyed it in Florida and you enjoyed it here, and maybe even more so. But I want to thank you for the royal welcome.

And it was really a — very much a working holiday, even on the golf course. So we can call it a couple of days off, but it wasn’t. It was full work. Even as we played golf, all we did was talk about different things. (Laughter.) We better not go into it. But I have to tell you, we did, and we made a lot of progress on a lot of fronts.

I do want to congratulate Mr. Aoki. He was one of the great putters — probably still is. They say you never lose your putting. When you’re a great putter, you never lose your putting.

But I remember a specific tournament, believe it or not, because it was one of the best I ever saw. It was the greatest putting display that I ever saw. It was you and Jack Nicklaus. Was that the U.S. Open? The U.S. Open. And you would get up and sink a 30-footer. He’d get up and sink a 25-footer. And this went on for the whole back nine. And then, ultimately, Jack won by one stroke. I thought it was one of the greatest putting displays anybody has ever seen and there ever was. And I even know your putting stroke — very flat.

And I spoke yesterday with the great Matsuyama, who is doing great, right? He’s going to be a big star, and he’s going to be great. I don’t even know if he’s with us tonight. I don’t think he’s with us tonight. But he does want to get together in New York, and we’re going to get together. And even though I want to have a great interpreter, but he’s rapidly learning the language.

But I will tell you that it’s an honor to be with you because everyone in the world of golf talks about that one great afternoon. Just putt after putt, and it was really great. So congratulations. Great gentleman, great gentleman. (Applause.)

So my relationship with Shinzo got off to quite a rocky start because I never ran for office, and here I am. But I never ran, so I wasn’t very experienced. And after I had won, everybody was calling me from all over the world. I never knew we had so many countries. (Laughter.)

So I was now President-elect. But I didn’t know you were supposed to not see world leaders until after you were in office, which was January 20th. So you were just not supposed to because it was considered bad form. It was not a nice thing to do, and I understand that from the standpoint of the President whose place you were taking.

So you can only take so many calls from world leaders — because, you know, everybody was calling. But Japan, you take. And some others — we took Germany, we took Russia, we took China, we took — we took your Prime Minister.

So it’s November, and he said to me, “Congratulations on your victory, it was a great victory, I would like to see you. I would like to see you as soon as possible.” And I said, “Anytime you want, just come on in, don’t worry about it.” But I was referring to after January 20th. (Laughter.) So I said, don’t worry about it. Anytime you want, I look forward to seeing you. Just give us a call, no problem, anytime you want. And all of the sudden, I get a call from, actually, Japan press. And they said that our Prime Minister is going to New York to meet with the President-elect.

So the press is going crazy because the Prime Minister of Japan is coming to see me. I think it’s absolutely fine, but I didn’t really mean now. I meant some time in February, March, or April. Meaning, you have a very aggressive — very, very aggressive, strong, tough Prime Minister. That’s a good thing, by the way — not a bad thing. (Laughter.)

So then the New York media started calling me, and I was getting all sorts of signals from Hope and Sarah, in a different position, and everybody. And they’re going crazy. They’re saying, “You cannot see him. It’s so inappropriate. It looks bad.” I say, “What’s wrong?” They said, “It’s a bad thing to see him. You have to wait until after, in all fairness, Barack Obama leaves office.” And I said, “What do I do?” And they said, “Let’s call.”

So I called him, and he wasnt there. He was on the airplane flying to New York. (Laughter.) And I said, “You know what? There’s no way he’s going to land and I’m not seeing him.”

So I saw him, and it worked out just fine. Do you agree with that? (Laughter.) And he actually brought me the most beautiful golf club I’ve ever seen. It was a driver that’s totally gold. Right? It’s gold. (Laughter.) And I looked at it — I said, “If I ever use this driver — me — to use that driver at a golf club, I will be laughed off every course I ever go onto.” But it is the most beautiful weapon I’ve ever seen, so I thank you for that.

But we had a great meeting. It lasted forever. It was a very long meeting in Trump Tower. And for some reason, from that moment on, we had a really — and developed a really great relationship. And here we are today and better than ever, and we’re going to work together. And it’s going to get more and more special, and we’re going to work out problems of Japan and problems of the United States. And it’s going to be something very, very special for both countries.

And I just want to finish by saying that Melania and I today visited the palace. This is a beautiful, beautiful place. And we met two very beautiful people, the Imperial Majesties, the Emperor and the Empress, and spent a long time talking to them today. And there was a lot of love in that room for all of you people — I can tell you — from everyone from Japan. They love the people of Japan, they love this country dearly, and they have great, great respect for your Prime Minister. And they truly think that your Prime Minister did very, very well when he decided to marry — or she decided to marry him, Mrs. Abe. But they have great, great respect — I can tell you that.

And I just want to conclude by saying that our two great countries will have incredible friendship and incredible success for many centuries to come — not years, not decades, but for many centuries to come.

And again, it’s an honor to have you as my good friend, and I just want to thank you and Mrs. Abe. This is a very, very special two days. We will not forget, and we will be back soon. Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you very much, everybody. Thank you.

(A toast is offered.) (Applause.)

END 7:55 P.M. JST

[President Trump toasts with a diet coke]

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Japan, Melania Trump, POTUS November '17 Asia Trip, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

114 Responses to President Trump and First Lady Melania Attend State Dinner in Japan…

1. Oldschool says:

Greek goddess

• Carrie2 says:

Oldschool, and even more beautiful with her up as was a style in old Japanese customs. Like her long hair, but this hairdo is outstanding. Yes, more like a Greek goddess but an even more beautiful American citizen and gracing our WH and connecting with foreign leaders as well. And I personally think Abe’s wife is truly a cute and lovely woman.

• FL_GUY says:

The media use to ooh and ahh about Jackie Kennedy’s beauty. Yet, they say nothing about Melania Trump’s actual super model beauty. There really is no comparison. To use a car analogy, Jackie Kennedy was a Cadillac Seville, nice but assembly line, whereas Melania Trump is a Ferrari, unique and exclusive As far as I can tell, the only media that highlights the exceptional beauty of First Lady Melania is the foreign media. It’s really sad that I have to look at a publication from the UK to see OUR beautiful First Lady.

• corimari2013 says:

I looked at the article and photos at UK’s Daily Mail, and they have spun an angle–actually it’s a snarky swipe– on Melania’s appearance at the State Dinner in Japan:
        “A fashion face off! Melania Trump, 47, is upstaged at state banquet by comms director Hope Hicks, 29, who stole the style show in a suit and bowtie – while the first lady went with a traditional gown”

What a bunch of biased blather from the Daily Mail.
        NOBODY upstages Melania Trump.

• JunieG says:

It’s more than her beauty. She has grace and sweetness and poise.

So wacky they are deliberately ignoring Melania’s triumphs.

• Covfefe-USA says:

If I may… I’d put Jackie at a Lincoln Continental (creme exterior, black leather interior) circa 1962 – it was a beaut; yes, assembly line (you’re right), but just a little cut above. By contrast, Moochie…a Nash Rambler (modern equivalent: Chevy Malibu with a spoiler and over-sized tires; over-sized rear bumper and air-scoop on the hood). Anyone else want to play?

• Covfefe-USA says:

Oh, and Melania? Lagonda convertible – much more exclusive than a Ferrari…Sorry, being from Newport Beach, too many Ferraris on the road.

• Ditch Mitch says:

In summary, Jackie dressed with a flare of classic royalty. Melania dresses with respectfully appropriate style.

• corimari2013 says:

PERFECT analogy, Oldschool.
      Thank you.

• deborah foster says:

Can’t wait for Melania to get off the plane at the next stop. She is so beautiful to watch.
      She makes us proud because she is a real lady!

2. dekester says:

I am still stunned that your MSM and slimey politicians cannot just shut the F up and enjoy this beautiful moment in your history.

POTUS and FLOTUS. “ Pure Gold.”

Please take care of them.

3. georgiafl says:

Melania – Poetry in Motion – Lady in Red.

4. leebelieu says:

Toast with a diet coke lol! His tweet, “I’ll still drink that garbage!” Love my President

5. mcclainra says:

So proud of both of them, and so happy he is our president!

6. What a great set of speeches from PM Abe and Pres Trump. Very warm and funny. Clearly they like each other or they wouldn’t be able to kid around like that.

• wolfmoon1776 says:

Yes – they are both impressive leaders. In fact – and this is totally a God thing – Shinzo Abe is the “Make Japan Great Again” guy – clearly – and he came at JUST the right time.

Trump really knows his golf. WOW. In fact, he knows his golf like he knows history – with deep affection.

A toast (with the end of my coffee mug) – to a great relationship between Donald Trump and Shinzo Abe that just gets better!

• Carrie2 says:

Another, Trump most of the time has a very serious look but he also has a great sense of humor and a beautiful smile.

7. ZurichMike says:

Uh-huh. Golf. Dinner toasts. Whatever. Have I said I am utterly distracted by Melania Trump’s beauty? Yowza! YOWZA!

8. WSB says:

Beautiful event!

9. Molly says:

I really like his story of their first meeting. So glad he went ahead and met with PM Abe and to heck with waiting until after inauguration. Funny how when reading his speech I can hear his voice and laugh as the same time as noted. Sounds like it was a wonderful dinner.

Melania is just stunning. Only the diamond ear studs for jewelry, she doesn’t need anything else. Gorgeous! 🙂

10. Right Mover says:

George H.W. Bush called Donald Trump a “blowhard,” but only one of them blew chunks in the PM’s lap at a Japanese state dinner, and it wasn’t Donald Trump.

11. @ says:

A President elect can not visit with foreign heads of state until after he is Inaugurated.

But it was perfectly alright for Mubarak Mao Obama Sotero to go to Japan after President Trump took office. Wonder which heads of state Ozero called that we know nothing about. And still in contact with to this day.

12. Chickficshun says:

Whats with that Russian lawyer coming out in an interview now saying she’ll testify about Donald Jr meeting?

13. Dora says:

Hope is with them too.

• Justah says:

The hair style & color + the “smokey eye” look a little familiar. 😉

• MfM says:

I wonder if Hope doing the tuxedo look so that she doesn’t have to buy and pack as many formal clothes. She certainly is stunning besides being intelligent.

• MfM says:

Unless that photo is reversed that shirt actually looks like a men’s shirt the way the buttons are. I’ve tried to find a better photo of her with other men to see what is up. Also it looks like there is a fold line across the shirt.

14. fleporeblog says:

Japan 🇯🇵 currently has a $65 Billion dollar trade surplus with us. However, Japan 🇯🇵 has gotten the message loud and clear. They were one of the first to do right by our President in early February. President Abe is a very smart businessman. Not only does he want to remove the trade deficit but he wants our two countries to work together in new ventures that will bring in billions upon billions of dollars 💵 for each. Wonder why they and their spouses get along. Their also spending on their military defense which has skyrocketed this year. Guess what country they are buying from.

From the article linked above:

Japan, which has a consistent trade surplus with the U.S., is putting the finishing touches on a package that it claims will create 700,000 jobs in the U.S. and help create a $450-billion market, Reuters reported, citing government sources familiar with the plans.

On a broader basis, the two countries would cooperate in building liquefied natural gas facilities in Asia to help expand exports of U.S. natural gas and work together to expand nuclear energy-related sales.

The aim appears to be to turn what could potentially be a major crisis over trade friction into a business opportunity for both sides.

Abe’s proposed public-private initiative is intended to create several hundred thousand jobs, the reports said Thursday, and involve $150 billion in new investment in U.S. infrastructure from Japanese government and private sources over the next decade.

15. TwoLaine says:

Genuine people can see other genuine people. President TRUMP & FLOTUS Melania are just so genuinely warm-hearted, friendly and real, you can’t help but love them. There’s not a pretentious bone in their bodies.

I don’t mean to be mean, but remember when Steve Mnuchin’s wife did the post about all she was wearing and carrying? I can’t see Melania doing that, ever. She’s a lady who understands that less is more. I would bet you anything that Melania drove a very hard bargain with Mr. Art of the Deal. 😉

16. Publius2016 says:

Beautiful toast! So hopeful and respectful to the Japanese People! President Trump is reaffirming our standing as leader of the free world and reaffirming our commitment to manifest destiny…we are a Reublic now and forever…as others look to tomorrow so shall we look to next year, next century, next millennium.

17. Publius2016 says:

prime Minister Abe was desperate to defend his country after the many years of the New World Order that subjected Japan to zero growth as lender of last resort…he wanted to make a deal to help turn things around and together the US and Japan are making sure Trade grows and that the seas are respected!

18. usayes says:

Thank you Sundance for showing us this event – it is what the media SHOULD be showing us… Kudos to you for all you do. Very grateful.

19. Alison says:

Thank you, SD!

A truly genuine, affectionate, uplifting toast by each leader. What a joy!

Beautiful photos.

20. LBB says:

Gathering had to be the best, funnest, Japan ever had with a US delegation.

21. Chuck says:

Ok, I admit it right here….. I’m here to see what FLOTUS is wearing…..

Politics, diplomacy, yada yada –

22. lokiscout says:

Looks like another Reagan-Thatcher friendship developing between President Trump and PM Abe. Heady times to live!

23. trapper says:

You learn more about a man’s character playing one round of golf with him than you can learn working with him for 10 years. People play golf with Pres Trump and come away genuinely liking him. Pres Trump and Abe have clearly formed a close personal friendship. Business golf. How it’s done.

And don’t for one minute think every other world leader isn’t watching this US/Japan Trump/Abe relationship very, very closely. Expect Pres Trump’s phone to be ringing off the hook with leaders wanting to meet with him to make deals for THEIR countries too. No one is going to want to be the last one in the door. Wonder what that big deal is that he was teasing. 700,000 American jobs coming in from a Japanese deal?

24. I don’t believe that Trump intended, in early 2014, to run for office; but I DO believe that when there was nobody that he decided, FINALLY (you can find the interview with Oprah many many years ago when SHE encouraged him to run and he admitted that Reagan (and I think Nixon) both gave him their seal of approval to run.

However, what made ME think that he could win was that he has run: 1) resorts; 2)golf courses; 3) beauty pageants; 4)casinoes; 5) television programs.

With these he will have seen ALL of the cross sections of Americana, from poor to elite.
    From THAT I believe is where he got his insight.

that and the fact that as a Queens billionaire, the Hampton/Long Island/Manhattan/Hollywood elite were happy to be parasites off of his events and his money, but they probably did a horrible job concealing their content…and Trump would have used his ‘Art of the Deal’ abilities to see where the elites and America took a fork in the road.

God bless them, I pray on my rosary for them every single day. And it’s very possible Melania is saying one as well for us. 🙂

25. contempt, not ‘content’…horrible job concealing their contempt…

26. tonyE says:

Trump and Abe are the Reagan and Tatcher of this time.

They seem to really get along just fine and have similar political goals for the US and Japan. Plus they are aligned against NK.

Both are well loved chez nous! Després de tot, la meva dona és japonesa-americana.

27. Minnie says:

Thank you for posting the transcript, Sundance.

Particularly the description by Prime Minister Abe of our First Lady and Mrs. Abe’s calligraphy – “hei” by our lovely First Lady and “wa” by Mrs. Abe which combined literally means “peace”.

Beautiful ❤️

28. CountryclassVulgarian says:

Hope Hicks is beautiful. She is not “upstage” Melania.

29. Kristin says:

I’ve never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight
    I’ve never seen you shine so bright, you were amazing
    I’ve never seen so many people want to be there by your side
    And when you turned to me and smiled, it took my breath away
    And I have never had such a feeling
    Such a feeling of complete and utter love, as I do tonight
    The lady in red is dancing with me, cheek to cheek
    There’s nobody here, it’s just you and me
    It’s where I want to be
    But I hardly know this beauty by my side
    I’ll never forget the way you look tonight
    I never will forget the way you look tonight
    The lady in red, the lady in red
    The lady in red, my lady in red
    Chris DeBurgh

30. Badabing says:

At least Donald Trump has the good sense not to puke on his Japanese hosts like the traitor George Bush. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnOnDatqENo

31. snailmailtrucker says:

Our Gorgeous First Lady Melania Trump has the Perfect combination of Beauty and Class…
    None before her has had this Unique combination working in perfect harmony !

Doing her part to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN !

(Nicely done Melania !)

32. rsmith1776 says:

I thought it unlikely our precious President would surprise me again, but he did.

Lest we forget, this was not an all-out political speech, more of a quasi-“personal” dinner with a sniff, a smattering rather of diplomacy.

[The kind of luxurious dinner where Moochelle would bare her oversized dogs all over the table and stink the place, while Barry would sip from the delicate Japanese porcelain finger-rinsing bowl. But let bygones be bygones, if only the repulsive crooks were to be gone and bygone for good. To Leavenworth, preferably. Gitmo might work, too.]

. . . Back to the beauty of it. President Trump has shown more than ever his charming side, the one we are often told about by people who visit with him, but which we seldom get to witness in all its intimate splendor and subtle wit.

What a smart, and kind, and genuine, and humorous, yet diplomatic toast!!

SO proud of you, Mr. President ! ! ! And of our most elegant First Lady, a true Lady if there ever was one.

33. All American Snowflake says:

You know that’s grape juice or cranberry juice President is toasting with. 🙂