Wednesday November 1st – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

199 Responses to Wednesday November 1st – Open Thread

1. Dora says:

On this Day in 1765 American History Changed FOREVER

On Nov. 1, 1765, despite widespread opposition from America, the British Parliament passed the Stamp Act, designed to raise revenue to pay for the cost of expensive military operations on the American continent.

It launched a series of protests and demonstrations – some violent – that culminated in the Revolutionary War, but the Stamp Act wasn’t the first attempt to suck revenue from the colonists

2. dbethd says:

“Volunteers helped create the costumes and professional photographers took pictures of the tiny trick or treaters. The photos were given to the families as a keepsake afterward.”

3. Lucille says:

NYC truck jihad mass murderer brags about his massacre from hospital bed
    November 1, 2017 11:28 AM By Robert Spencer

• Janie M. says:

Lucille, from the NY Post:

Probers believe terror suspect made dry runs before NYC attack
      By Larry Celona, Reuven Fenton and Danika Fears
      November 1, 2017 | 12:30pm | Updated

[snip]
      “It appears that Mr. Saipov had been planning this for a number of weeks. He did this in the name of ISIS,” said John Miller, deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism for the NYPD.

His attack was straight out of the ISIS playbook, he added.

[snip]
      Saipov spoke on the phone to several people in New Jersey and Florida just prior to the carnage, sources said. Authorities are now looking to interview those people.

[snip]
      One of Saipov’s neighbors in Paterson, NJ, said he often saw the suspect driving in a Home Depot truck with two or three pals.

“I haven’t seen them since [the incident],” Carlos Batista, 23, said. “They need to look for those people, question those people, because they’d be with him every day. They’d know what he’s thinking.”

4. Guyver1 says:

Forgiveness…
    My father and his brother could not have been more different.
    Where my Dad was a quiet, loving man of peace, loved by everyone that knew him… my uncle was a scheming, evil, self centered ball of rage.
    When Dad crossed over, I called my uncle to let him know… and all he wanted to do was discuss my Dad’s property, which he had designs on. I told him “My Dad, your brother, who loved you in spite of all your defects, just crossed over. He lies not 50 feet from me, has not even assumed room temperature yet, and all you want to discuss is a piece of land… this is not the time for this.” Them I hung up and deleted his phone number.
    The family was furious at him for that. Later he made it worse by trying to get my sister and me to go along with a scheme of his to have Dad declared mentally incompetent so he could get a hold of Dad’s land (which Dad had sold before his passing to someone he had promised it to. To Dad, his word was sacred, his bond and his honor.) Needless to say we refused to go along with it, and without our cooperation the whole scheme collapsed.
    This set the family further against him, except for the one aunt whose personality was like my father’s… she was mad at my uncle, but she still had hope he would someday see the light (I have always said my aunt is living proof angels walk the Earth…)
    Five years later I felt an irresistible urge to call my uncle. I called my aunt, explained it to her, she immediately gave me his phone number. So I called.
    My uncle had changed.
    He was quiet, thoughtful, loving. Gone was all the rage. His soul was finally at peace- the peace of someone who has finally seen the light.
    After a lifetime of fighting God, he had accepted him and Jesus.
    I know God is happy every time someone sees the light.
    My uncle quietly and sincerely apologized for all the evil and all the pain he had caused throughout his life.
    And I forgave him.
    It was a wonderful conversation. When we finally said our goodbyes and hung up, we were both happy and at peace. 🙂
    Two years later, last Friday, it was my uncle’s turn to cross over. And he went peacefully, and in peace…
    I know Dad was there waiting for him. 🙂
    That is the uncle I will always remember, the way he was after he saw the light.
    And we will all be together again, at the appointed time. 🙂

5. Guy-Blanc Déploré says:

There was some speculation a few days ago about whether Laura Ingraham would wear a cross on her show or not. I’m sure most of you have already seen it, but in case anyone hasn’t, The cross has been there front and center for both shows so far. 🙂

6. Raven says:

I’m hoping someone from Florida or someone who knows tropical plants can help me.

About 10 years ago someone at work gave me a then 7 foot tall tree they said was an orange tree. One year it bloomed with hundreds of little white flowers and made the room it was in smell glorious. From those blooms we ended up with 8 tiny, but sweet and delicious tangerines.

2 1/2 years ago we moved and the tree naturally had a little adjusting to do along with the rest of us.

Last summer my husband put that heavy to move tree outside when it finally got warm outside and the tree seemed to thrive from the experience. As soon as it got cool he brought it back inside where it did OK through the winter.

This past summer my husband brought it back outside on one of very few hot days (this was a very cool and rainy summer) and brought it back in at the end of August when we gave up on any long warm spells.

It is now November 1st and for the last three days my lovely old girl has been doing nothing but shedding leaves. Everyday I wake up to find at least 20 leaves lying on the floor and others fall off throughout the day. She still has many leaves left, but I’m very concerned and wonder why this is happening now.

Other than the big moves indoors and out I’ve been caring for her the same way for years.

The only other oddity would be our water. We had always lived in the city with city water (and the chemicals they add) until we moved to our new place. Here we have well water, something my husband and I always wanted. No more chemicals — we hoped. A month after moving here my husband ran a bunch of tests for a company that charged a small fortune to do a thorough chemical analysis of our water. When the results came back the company said we had amazingly good water with no harmful chemicals. We sort of knew we had good water, since it has no stinky well water smell or yucky taste. But our water had one issue — it had more salt in it than most well water — similar to water produced when someone uses a water softener. We don’t like softened water, so that is our one drawback to our well water, it never feels like we rinse all the soap off when washing.

If anyone has any ideas about what I am doing wrong or how I can help this tree I would greatly appreciate your advice. The old girl is now over 8 feet tall and needs a pruning. but at this point I will not do anything that might hurt her even more.

• Raven says:

Love the information at that site. Glad to read that this tree could lose all its leaves and still come back, although I hope that is not what happens and I can nurse it back to health before it reaches that point.

Thank you, Smiley.

• You didn’t say in what county/town you lived, and also have said you were told it’s an orange tree, but that it bore tangerines. Tangerine trees are more cold-hardy than typical orange trees, and there are other differences in watering needs, diseases carried by insects or in the air that affect them etc.

I would suggest consulting an arborist, a person with specific knowledge of tree care in your area. Trees get imported from other states and countries, with different soils and climates. It might be something simple, but it might not be, and you are basically “asking the internet” for a answer that should have someone expert there in person to look.

Here’s a search engine for certified arborists. Good luck!

• amwick says:

If it is growing in a container, could it be root bound???

• Salt is hard on plants. I did see a video from a permaculture demonstration plot on salty soil. As soon as the top layers of decaying mulch did their thing some natural fungus took hold and then the unexpected… the salinity went away. I’ve filed that story away for future reference.

• auscitizenmom says:

My understanding is that the salt in water-softener water is too much for plants. That could be a problem for a plant, especially one in a pot where the salt could collect.

• Raven says:

Finally am getting a chance to get back on my computer . . .

egads!

I live in northern Minnesota and when we moved we only moved 25 miles further north.

In our old house the plant was in a room surrounded by windows. Now it is in front of our living room window, the largest window in this house. So maybe not enough light. Will get a grow light.

Been giving it the same amount of water as I’ve been giving it for the past ten years, but if I’m now killing it with our naturally salty ground water building up salt in the dirt, that is not good. Will remove old dirt from top first to not send the tree into shock and replace with healthy, non-salt laden dirt. Will start bringing buckets of snow into the house so it melts and gets warm and water the plant with that water instead.

The lady who gave me the tree thought it was an orange tree, but really did not know since the tree never bore fruit for her in the 15 years she owned it. It has bore fruit for us many years, albeit very small Tangerines.

Last week I heard an expert on northern Minnesota trees talk about how bad tree fungus is up here where it is wet most of the year. I would have never associated that story with my Tangerine tree until you mentioned fungus Mikey, so my heart is sinking thinking that may be why it is sick. Tangerines trees definitely do not live long lives in northern Minnesota, so the fact this baby has hung on and produced fruit as much as it did has been a great blessing for my husband and I to see.

This tree was moved into a large container about 3 years ago. This new container with dirt and tree are at the point now that adding any more weight to them would mean it could never be moved outside again (unless we hire three men and a monkey to move it out — which we probably would do). I do not believe it is root bound, but may just get a larger container and make the switch when changing the dirt out at the bottom of the pot.

ThinkThinkThink — are you saying the video you saw showed that mulch will naturally remove or lessen salt with time?

Thank you all for your thoughts, help and web links. I’ll definitely check them out.

I may be thinking too much about who to talk to about this tree, because I did not think a Minnesota arborist would have a clue about how to care for a Tangerine tree meant to live in tropical climes. I am emotionally attached to this tree — for however goofy that may sound — and will read the information at the links provided, do the things I’ve said and listen to any of you who have other suggestions for me.

And I will look for someone here in the frozen hinterland that may know all about Tangerine trees.

Thank you all, again!

7. Victor Adam Smith says:

Didn’t I see this link here somewhere?

U.S. new home sales race to nearly 10-year high in September

8. I found a fun read … thinking from a previous generation, but concepts have aged well. 😉
    “The Hobbit Party: The Vision of Freedom That Tolkien Got, and the West Forgot”

9. nwtex says:

I’m just in the mood to look at some feminine loveliness for a change. Refreshing!

10. tazz2293 says:

When you are searching want ads and you come across this in EOE Description, “sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information”, you know it is a company you don’t want to work for

11. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

12. Lucille says:

From Judicial Watch….

U.S. Blows $4.1 Million on Another Shoddy Project to Rebuild Afghanistan
    OCTOBER 31, 2017

13. Karen says:

Does anyone have thoughts on this supposed November 4th event? I’ve heard there will be an attack on the power grid. Also there is mention of ANTIFA going after police, first responders, whites, government officials, etc. until they get Trump/Pence out of office. Now I really don’t think that’s possible, but it sounds like it could be hell.

14. nwtex says: