Friday October 20th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to Friday October 20th – Open Thread

1. hope GOD BLESSES ALL HERE AND BLESS YOUR UP COMING WEEKEND.
    GOD BLESS.

2. Grandma Covfefe says:

Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
    He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler. Ps 91: 3-4

May God Bless you all today.

3. dalethorn says:

Today is the birthday of one of my boyhood heroes, Mickey Mantle. As I grew older and various writers decided to expose the behaviors that led to his death, I made a mental note of those things for reference, and resumed dwelling on the good that Mantle brought to baseball. I hope to see him in Heaven some day.

• Bakokitty says:

What a wonderful way to remember our heroes whether they are famous or just our family and friends. To make note of the human failings and then let the good memories have the final say.
      Thank you for a beautiful pearl of wisdom.

• Jim says:

Happy birthday. Yes indeed, a real American hero.

• Joe K Lombard says:

The Mick–Jane Leavy bio is a must read. Mamtle describes meeting Ted Williams and Ted digressing on all sorts of hitting details….said he couldn’t hit for 2 weeks after that….described his approach as swinging as hard as I can and trying to hit it as far as I can. My favorite, on Billy Martin’s propensity to get into fistfights…”the only guy who could hear someone give him tge finger”

4. Garrison Hall says:

5. Bakokitty says:

Well, It is still Cursday in Calif. , so I don’t think is too late to wish all the Treepers Happy Cursday, is it? ….

6. nwtex says:

• nwtex says:

• Lucille says:

My parents were great L. A. Dodger fans. Every game they attended the Dodgers won. We used to joke the team should give Mom and Dad season tickets.

For Dad’s 80th birthday I arranged to have an acknowledgement put on the scoreboard. He was so surprised.

In earlier years when Sandy Koufax was pitching I used to pray all through the game that he would win. Such a crush I had on him. LOL! After retirement he kept a low profile and he was seldom heard from. In an interview maybe 20 years ago he was asked what happened, where did he go? He simply said, “I went home.”

• Grandma Covfefe says:

That is such a sweet stor, esp. what you did for your dad.
        It brings back memories for us, too, going to the Dodgers games or watching it on TV.
        Wow, I just looked him up. Sandy is still alive!

• Grandma Covfefe says:

I think AdRem stole my “Y”. I have no idea how that word “stor” is lacking a “Y”
          stor = story. (thank You Ad Rem for restoring my “Y”)

Ad Rem, If you don’t know what I am talking about, that’s OK because I don’t know what I’m talking about either. We had a loooong day today 😉
          🙂 🙂 🙂

7. nwtex says:

8. Anyone else wondering if Puerto Rico might be interested in statehood now?

• Grandma Covfefe says:

No No No. Don’t want them-NO! Please….nonono

• allhail2 says:

Oh hell no! If anything, PR was finally exposed to a larger audience how back asswards, corrupt, and lazy they are.

The Gov of PR wanting “equal treatment” as FL and TX was a joke. Maybe if they took some initiative do to crap for themselves, then they can make that appeal in an honest manner.

Time for Uncle Sugar to shut the flow off permanently.

• czarowniczy says:

They’re just building the groundwork for being bthev 51st state. The Rats are salivating at the possibility of having two more dedicared Rat Senators and a flock of dedicatted Rat Reps to help turn the House blue.
        The Rats are already have a robust agitprop campain going in PR. They are blaming the lack of the Feds pouring boatloads of free, new and functioning stuff – not to mention barrels of dinero Federal gratis – into PR on Republican greed and racist ideology towards Americans who don’t speak Ingles. Had Hillary have won you can bet the Rat agenda of killing the American working class by making Puerto Rico an DC states woulkd have been ramrodded through.

• piper567 says:

maybe we can be united in emailing the WH regarding our disapproval of PR becoming a State.
          I do, however, believe Trump is entirely aware of what a rat’s nest that place is…so methinks, for them, they’ll have to wait for a while.

• czarowniczy says:

Trust me, it ain’t even gonna come up during Trump. RAT operatives in the US and PR will continue to slow down aid getting to Puerto Ricans while whiopping up hatred by saying the aid’s being diverted to the more richer gringos in Houston. ASt some point the aid floodgates will open and the starving and desperate Puerto Ricans will be endlessly told that iot’s there only because the RATYs pried it from the Republican’s racist hands.
            RATs gotta build support for the next plebiscite on statehood. So far past ones show a less than50% level of enthusiasm there for statehood but the desire’s creeping upward. As soon as it goes over 50% far enough for manipulation of the final count the fix will be on the way.
            If we get a RAT or a RINO president in 2020 that vote’s gonna be on the fast track. Four RAT Senators and a slug of RAT reps should seal our fate, soon after there’ll be a slate of Niuremberg laws will target conservatives.

9. maiingankwe says:

Hello good Treepers, I’ve been working on a few stories to share with all of you, but something came up a few moments ago that I think should take front and center for now.
    Oh my goodness, this is very long, so please feel free to skip, especially if in a hurry. I’m so sorry.

Many of you have read of my twelve year old daughter, Dokmegishgokwe. Us Moms can’t help but take pride in our children and sometimes we just can’t help ourselves but to share the love we have for them. Some people may call this bragging. I call it sharing our prideful moments. So yes, there have been times I have mentioned her in these threads while perched on my branch.

Most of my family members call our daughter, Dokme, for short. It is pronounced, Doe-ka-may. It is far easier and quicker than yelling out, Doe-ka-may-gish-go-qway! Kind of a mouthful there.

Dokme is for the most part an A+ student with some regular A’s in there. She does gymnastics three times a week for three hours at a time and has just started competing this fall season. As my friend on the phone just said, Dokme is a confident, bright and shinning light.

Well, we know what people like to do who are miserable in their own lives, they do their best snuff out the bright lights around them. Unfortunately, nowadays they do it in the crudest ways on social media. You see, Dokme came up to me a short while ago with precious tears streaming down her face. She told me the background and then showed me what this person wrote.

If I wrote word-for-word, I’d more than likely be banned, and for good reason.

It broke my heart to see my Angel 😇 Girl crying and hurt. It angered me so quickly in what I had read too.

Let me give you a bit of background information. My 12 year old has a boyfriend. Yes. At twelve. Hear me out though. They do not go on dates and if they did, there would be an adult chaperone right next to them the whole darn time.

They don’t even hold hands. Heck, their relationship consists of some rare phone calls and mostly texting, and once in a great while hanging out at lunch. They have their own friends they prefer to eat with. So, instead of saying no and me having a fit about a boyfriend, I’ve decided to keep an eye on their texting and social media interactions. It really is quite harmless, their relationship. It’s more of a friendship if you ask me.

My daughter and I have agreed there will be no real dating until she is sixteen and even then we will have to discuss it. I have also found allowing her this friendship she is more inclined to be more open about herself and what she is up to along with the school drama, which can be funny at times.

I would think that any relationship done through texting and social media may find times where communication may be misinterpreted since one cannot see the others body language. So yes, her boy friend thought she was mad at him when she sincerely wasn’t. They fixed this after school and all is well again in the cloud. However, one boy, did not know this and decided he would leave Dokme a real nasty message. This is what a seventh grade boy wrote to my daughter:
    HIM-Yo whats up hoe you a b_____ all you want is d— and you a f’ng d— go suck a big one
    Dokme- Why are you saying this to me?
    HIM- cause you cheating on Tom you lying to Tom
    Dokme- I never cheated on him.
    HIM-ya whatever
    Dokme-Not true, and who would I cheat on him with? I don’t like anyone else. So tell me, WHO did I apparently cheat on him with?

I typed it out exactly as written. Dokme used punctuation, the other did not. I also changed her friend’s name.

Dokme was really shook up about this text, she was visibly shaking and crying. She told me she hated school because there are so many mean kids and there is too much drama, which she doesn’t like one bit.

My girl has never kissed a boy, let alone hold one of their hands. Now I may not be at school watching, but I am while she isn’t. Even if she stays at a friend’s house over night, I know the Moms’ well enough that they would never let the girls wander off on their own, and if they went to a movie they would be sitting right there with them. Plus, my girl is a bit of a prude. She is! You should hear some of the conversations we have. It has me chuckling even now. Hey, I think it’s awesome and hope it lasts a very long time.

My daughter dresses conservatively, and her favorite thing now are baggy sweatshirts. She doesn’t wear revealing clothing, and if she did, this boy still wouldn’t have a right to talk to her this way.

Let me give you a quick background on this boy I call “Him”.
    In 3rd grade he went to the same school as my daughter and they both had a bit of a crush on each other. He came to her birthday two years in a row. The last one they sat on the bleachers and talked after the party for about 20 minutes while his grandparents and I watched on. You see, he was moving out of her school district, and they were both sad.

Middle school came along and he ignored her completely. He especially ignored her when he would go to his girlfriend’s locker, which was right next to hers. Dokme brought it up to him one time when the girlfriend wasn’t there and asked if she had done something wrong. She asked why they couldn’t be just friends. Dokme really liked the girl who shared the locker next to her and would never do anything to hurt her. She also couldn’t figure out how she could be with a boy who was so mean.

When Him and the girlfriend broke up, the girl was heartbroken and Dokme was there to help her. They saw each other often and became solid in saying hi to each other in the hallways. Dokme would do what she could to make the pretty girl smile as often as she could.

Him doesn’t hang around the same group of friends as Dokme and not even her boyfriend, Tom really. After Dokme had received these nasty messages she told Tom and showed him the screenshots of the conversations. She had also blocked Him too. Tom, then went and told Him to never speak to Dokme again. Pretty cool I thought. If he had done nothing, I’d have been wondering about him. This showed me he knew to do the right thing. From what I know, he’s a good kid, gets good grades and is nice to girls. He’s also nice to Mom’s too. I really like this boy, and I have a feeling he will go far in life. He will also bring small gifts to Dokme. Her favorite candy bar, her favorite bag of chips and so forth. He gave her a sparkly, purple pencil since it was her favorite color. Little things that warm up a young girl’s heart. It’s sweet and he also tells her she is beautiful and graceful.

So, tomorrow morning I will be dressing up nice with a whiff of perfume, and slightly curled hair, a bit of makeup to highlight my best features, and off I will go to knock on the principal’s office. Right along with the screenshots to their conversation as evidence.

I assured my daughter I would not be wearing my usual hikers, work jeans and flannel. She giggled. She even asked how I was to make it through the day. I explained I would go back to dressing as usual when I returned home. She couldn’t help but giggle again. I’m happy I was able to wipe her tears and make her smile. I know she will have a rough time sleeping tonight. She lets these things eat her up inside. I do my best to give her the confidence to tackle the next day, but she’s twelve and she’s really hurt anyone would say such ‘mean things’. No one has ever spoken that way to her before. My poor Angel Bug. I so wish I could turn into a twelve year old and tackle him myself with a few choice words, but I can’t. However, I can demand a meeting with whoever is his guardian. I don’t think there is a Dad in his life right now, but I could be wrong. I also don’t know if he lives with his mom or grandparents. I will make sure they are well aware of what their boy said to another girl, my girl. And, if he’s talking that way to my child, I wonder who else he’s spoken to that way as well. It’s not his first time, but I am really hoping it will be his last.

I couldn’t help but think to what our General Kelly said to the media this afternoon. He told them as a young boy he saw how women were cherished. How they were respected. He’s so right in how times have changed. We cannot allow this as a society. We’ve got to all work on changing it back.

My friend told me that the school may not be able to do anything since this happened off of school grounds. It doesn’t matter if this is how the two know each other. Is she right? If so, I am going to make sure they call his guardian(s) and give them my number to call me immediately. They need to know what their boy is doing to girls. So what do I do if the school refuses to get involved and won’t contact them to give my number? If this happens I could look to see if they still have a home phone. If they don’t, I’ve hit a huge brick wall.

Well, I’ve taken up far more space than I had intended. Be well good Treepers,
    Ma’iingankwe

• scully7 says:

Ma. may I call you Ma.
      I have 4 sons, and I would do exactly what you are choosing to do. This is not just about seeing some sort of justice, but it is about firmly letting your daughter know that you are their for her, no matter what. That affirmation of action by is only going to strengthen your relationship with her, for down the road, but it will also let the school and this person know that you have your daughters back.
      God let motherhood rise up and return to protecting our young, it is sadly missing in this world.
      I may have sons but the Christian school that they attended know that I will be their, have their back and fight for them.
      Oh make sure that person sees you and give them the look, you know the one!

• Jim says:

Saying prayers for the mothers of our fallen soldiers who are now in the arms of our Lord and Savior. From Walt Whitman:
        Do not stand near my grave and weep;
        I am not there, I do not sleep.
        I am a thousand winds that blow.
        I am the diamond glints on snow.
        I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
        I am the gentle autumn rain.
        When you awaken in morning’s hush,
        I am the swift uplifting rush
        Of quiet birds in circling flight.
        I am the soft stars that shine at night.
        Do not stand near my grave and weep;
        I am not there, I do not sleep.

• amwick says:

Ma'(wolf) I always enjoy your stories.. this one is so awful… I feel so bad for your little girl. It is a different world today.. Kids and phones.. So very sorry.. Hope your meeting goes well. SMH

• maiingankwe says:

Amwick, I’ve been meaning to tell you that when I read the first part of your reply, I burst out with a big ‘ole laugh and a hoot. Thank you for that, I had needed it while I was at the store waiting in a long line. You got me good and I loved it. People may have thought me strange, but it don’t matter, not the first.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement, it was well appreciated. Thank you.
        Have a happy smiling day, and I hope to get you back when you’re reading in a crowd of people. 😁
        Be well,
        Ma’iingankwe

• duchess01 says:

My heart goes out to you and your daughter, Maii! I agree with your friend – if this did not happen at school – there is nothing they can do to help – it is not their responsibility to contact his ‘guardians’ – in addition – I do not believe they are permitted to give out personal information about a student, either – so – if you can find a contact number and confront them quietly and personally – that may be your best course of action – be prepared to get rebuffed by them if and when you do – no parent/guardian wants to hear bad things about his/her child – imho – you are doing the right thing to protect your daughter but, this is a cruel/evil world – approaching this situation with forgiveness and love is much better than with anger and rebuke – these are children ‘acting out’ – either through self-loathing or jealousy – for whatever reason they are ‘acting out’ – it has nothing to do with your daughter – it has everything to do with something lacking in them –

How you handle this situation is very important – not only for your daughter – but also, for the other parties involved – you will be setting an example for your daughter – and providing a lesson for the young man as well – so think this through thoroughly before you do anything – and speak from the heart always – be prepared to see the other side.

The link below is provided to shed some light on various different situations – “The Best Ways to React when Insulted or Teased” – it provides information pertinent to your situation as well as methods one can use to resolve problems of this kind – I hope and pray it will provide some insight and resolution – don’t forget to call on the Creator of us all – to provide guidance and peace – He is more than happy to help us with these situations.

• maiingankwe says:

Thank you Duchess, I’ve spent a great deal of time of thinking on how I will go about this. It’s why I planned on dressing up, it will put my mind in the professional mode. I promise not to yell or get angry, I do promise to talk with my heart and to let them know this boy must be going through problems of his own.

I’m actually quite good at not making a scene and getting my point across at the same time. I also know looking presentable goes a long ways too, at least it used to.

I explained to my daughter after I had written here that the boy may be going through some difficult times at home and therefore lashing out at you and anyone else. He doesn’t know how to deal with his pain, and maybe me going down there may lead to the help he desperately needs.

For a moment she thought I was standing for him and then realized quickly it wasn’t the case. I was asked why I have to be so nice to everyone. I told her I had her back and always will and she came and gave me a good, long hug and said, thank you, you’re the best mom ever.

I have always done my best to teach Dokme I will always have her back when she is right, and I will always stand and help her through when she is wrong. I won’t make her go alone, ever. She thinks her mom is a Warrior and loves how my protection around her makes her feel. To me, that makes my heart soar in knowing I must be so something right.

I also know the school might not be able to do anything, and I’ve already explained that scenario to Dokme just in case. I think it will greatly help the both of us I do go down there and try though.

Well, I gotta go. I wanted to be there at 9am and the roads are still a bit icy. I don’t think it will matter if I’m a few minutes late, especially when they are not expecting me.

Thank you Duchess, I appreciate your help Bigly. 😊

• duchess01 says:

Sounds like you (the wise mom you are) have it all worked out – Dokme is blessed to have you for her mother – I know firsthand how painful these situations can be – from daycare through high school and beyond – there are many challenges for parents and children alike – personally, I think God our Creator has a special place for parents and for children who honor them – 🙂

• maiingankwe says:

I went down to the school this morning, filled out an incident report, waited around for about forty minutes and they told me to come back at 1:30pm, so I did.

I spoke to the counslor and she passed everything to the vice principal along with my phone number. He called me within ninety minutes and had promised to call his parents right when he got off the phone with me to give them my phone number. I explained I’d rather go that route than making a police report to be filed on the boy. I also explained I was not there to yell at them either, I just want them aware of the situation.

Oh my goodness, this is a short post for me. I bet it has to do with time. I have to now run my daughter to gymnastics and afterwards going to a bon fire. The warmest it has been today is 9F. So, I’m going to pack layers of clothes.
            Thank you for your kind words and help, Duchess. I thinks it’s great you can help us younger Mom’s through all of your years of experience. I know some of us may be relying on your wisdom in the future.
            Be well and have a fabulous weekend!
            Ma’iingankwe

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Love your approach!

• Ddanna says:

I hope your meeting with the principal goes well. I don’t think they will be able do anything, but I admire your vigor in doing your best to protect Dokme. Bless you and yours!

• Grandma Covfefe says:

The school most likely will not be able to do anything. If they don’t, go to the district office and let them know what had happened. At least they should put it on file, in case there is a pattern of behavioral problems. This is cyber-bully. This is so sad, what our country has been reduced to. A pleasant, firm, and concerned attitude helps.

Junior high and high school are tough times. our friend has an austistic child. He started high school this year. He went one week and refused to go after that. As of yesterday, he still refused to go, but won’t tell anyone why. The parents don’t understand the downside of high school, because they were popular in high school.

I pray the outcome of your visit will provide solutions.
      Let us know how it turned out.

• Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

I sure wish you had been my Mom! She is a blessed child.

• maiingankwe says:

What a really nice thing to say, you’ve got me a bit speechless, so I will just say, thank you. I’m sure you would’ve been a blast and a joy to have raised.

Have a fabulous day, and again, thank you,
        Ma’iingankwe

10. Bob says:

Agreed…except when they are wrong, they have to take responsibility for their actions.

11. Cupcake says:

NJ asleep folks… nobody in NJ seems to care that we are about to become a mini California. Phil Murphy (D) is leading in our race for governor. LOrd help us. As a resident, I cannot believe that I hardly hear anyone discussing this at home. Asleep at the wheel. Christie was not a good governor but my god this Murphy is a nightmare. Pray for NJ

• Dora says:

I’m on Long Island, but for some reason we get the NJ campaign ads on TV. Phil Murphy ads are running all the time. He obviously has plenty of money. I don’t even know who his opponent is. Murphy is probably going to win and I’m very sorry about that. It’s not just New Jersey voters. Many of the voters in New York are pretty brain dead too. 😦

12. Dora says:

Umberto Boccioni “Trees” (1908)

• smiley says:

this is an interesting piece…looks like pastel…?

at first, i didn’t like it…but it keeps drawing me back…and each time I look at it, I start to like it, a little more. 🙂

not wild about the technique or the composition…but something about it grabs me.

I think it’s the top half of the image…that works…and his good handling of a monochromatic color scheme, also works.

I LIKE it.

it grows on you.

actually…I really like it. 🙂

13. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

14. smiley says:

George’s Place

watercolor on paper

1963

Andrew Wyeth ~ American ~ Realism

🙂

15. amwick says:

Yes, I was ticked off..

16. allhail2 says:

Ok. Now my phone is doing the “website problem, site reloaded” garbage. I have an IPhone 7. How do I get rid of that? It’s making the site pretty unusable at times. Layman’s terms as much as possible. I am not evenly remotely tech savvy. I usually give the thing to my 12 yr daughter to figure out. Yea, it’s that bad.

Thank you in advance.

17. amwick says:

From twitterverse… funny piclll

18. Volintn says:

Good morning everyone! It’s a beautiful Fall day in God’s Creation. Blessings to all.

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.”
    Isaiah 40:8 (KJV)

• TheLastDemocrat says:

Timely for us! My young son was asking why some bad events recently had to fall upon his grandparents. He was broken-hearted.

I found time, and again went from the top: we live in a fallen world. We are just passing through. Adam and Eve had a deal with God, and they busted the deal. But their transgression has been redeemed. Eventually, all of this world will pass, and there will be a new world (Rev 21).

It did not really take the pain way, but at least he can grow up putting terrible events in perspective.

20. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

21. Sepp says:

Earlier this year several conservative scholars and intellectuals wrote an affirmation of Europe.

The Paris Statement

A Europe We Can Believe In

22. oldiadguy says:

As the Korean situation continues to simmer and American and South Korean war games are taking place, I thought this article from outside the MSM maybe of interest.

Take Care and Stay Safe

• czarowniczy says:

Seems more like he reported for MSNBC than reputable media.
      As a Foal Eagle participant (yum, Korea/shelter-half/winter) I can tell you the first priority is to repel a NK invasion, NOT to invade NK. That’s a small linguistic change with big ramifications.
      The Foal Eagle scenario presumes an invasion by NK, a holding/fallback action by US and ROK military but the big part is the mobilization and deployment of US Active, Teserve and Guard soldiers and their deployment to SK. If there’s an ‘invasion’ of the North it’s part of the joint US/ROK response to a first-strike by the NK.
      We watched certain actions and bases in NK whose sole purposes are to launch a first-strike, they were not configured for a defensive operation. Also not mentioned were the huge and sophisticated tunnels the North has built under the DMZ that are designed to provide a secret first-strike capability, you could argue they were built for a defensive action but anyone with any training in military tactics would shut you down in a heartbeat.
      How about the 180,000 people NK’s been documented abducting from foreign countries? How about blowing an airliner out of the sky and murdering nearlt 200 people? How about using banned WMD agent VX to murder people on foreign soil? Remember the NK troops who crossed into the DMZ to murder unarmed US troops clearing brush?” The list goes on and on and on…are these the defensive actions of a poor, picked on victim of Western anti-Asian racism?
      The NKs shuttered their nuclear reactor, remember how quickly they put it back into operation after making the decision to unilaterally violate the agreement? It wqas supposed to be dismanteled but was just shut down – and I know a lot of analysts that say it was just put on a low idle.
      They also didn’t dismantle and destroy their fissionable materials processing facilities. Those facilities require large amounts of specialized materials which, had they ever been dismantled and put out for display and destruction, would have taken valuable time to replace. The NK government slowed but never stopped their plans any more than Iran did theirs. Having nukes has been, is and will continue to be a primary national priority for both countries. They’ve been planning and sacrificing to achieve a nuclear status for decades and won’t stop until they are.
      If you look at the SK defense structure they have set up a defensive strategy, trading land for time. If you look at the NK strategy it’s built for an offensive first-strike capability.

23. Dora says:

If anyone is going to be around Long Island this weekend, look up in the sky and enjoy the show.

====

Orionid Meteor Shower Peaks This Weekend Over LI Skies: What You Need To Know

The meteors, some of the fastest and brightest produced by any showers this year, will peak Friday through Sunday.

24. npsrangerman says:

Has Michael Moore been accused of sexual harassment? see this link: http://www.conservativecolumns.com/?p=12020

25. smiley says:

what to make of this….?

Police Investigating Detonated Improvised Explosive Device In Williamsburg

Oct 20, 2017

this occurred yesterday, 5 pm…at South Boundary and Francis Streets near Merchants Square.

{soft target??}

was reported as a “car fire” but when police arrived, they determined that it was a detonated IED.

still looking for leads.

{ practice run ? antifa?}

26. duchess01 says:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2017

Lawless Hypocrites and Tragic Victims

27. Anonymous says:

Resettling Puerto Ricans in key States and counties to flip election s is the only thing of importance on the DNC’s platter. This is their 2020 (and 2018) strategy, hence the “Mayor of San Juan strategy” by the DNC and Media. …..and it could work.

“A failure in Puerto Rico could have deep political repercussions for Republicans. Puerto Ricans tend to vote Democrat, at least in recent years, and Florida is one of the nation’s tightest swing states.

President Trump won by about 113,000 votes in Florida. Of the 50 million ballots cast by Floridians in the seven presidential elections since 1992, a difference of 18,000 votes separate Republicans and Democrats, said Steve Schale, a Democratic political strategist in Florida who directed Obama’s Florida campaign in 2008.

“In a state where elections are decided by a point, 100,000 potential new voters that lean Democratic — that’s a lot,” he said.”

28. Nikki/Chico says:

Test ……

🙄🌺

29. Nikki/Chico says:

Hmmmmm
    Ok
    I’m curious…..

30. Nikki/Chico says:

🙂

Have a good day all, God bless

🌹

31. F.D.R. in Hell says:

This Slubberdegullion will turn serious when he get down here, trust me…

• piper567 says:

Dora, Thanks for bringing this site to the att’n of Treepers.
      I visit it often, and was impressed with their take on “The Hard Right”.
      It is so refreshing to read these men and be inspired by their priorities.
      They are Christians, for those of you who may not know them.

32. Janie M. says:

Yeah, I’m guilty. I hate wandering all over the store…smaller stores like Aldi, no problem but Walmart, forget it.

• auscitizenmom says:

I have given in to pure laziness. I sit in my chair and make out my order on walmart.com, then drive over and let them put it in the car, and drive home. I do have to bring it in from the car.

• Janie M. says:

Didn’t know you could do that, auscitizenmom… then I wouldn’t have to listen to kiddies having screaming fits or have to dodge those mobility scooters. That is one of the reasons I go out later at night plus it gets me out of the house.

• auscitizenmom says:

Check your walmart and see if they do it. I think some may not. I would be very convenient with children. You place order and pay online, tell them when you want to pick it up, call and let them know you are on the way, then call when you get there and they bring it out and put it in your car.

• Janie M. says:

If you have little ones at home I could understand why they would participate in this service. I’m a senior now so not a concern for me and as I said before, it gets me out of the house where I spend most of my day. After my encounter with that strange man a month or so ago, I just don’t go after midnight anymore.

• auscitizenmom says:

I never go after dark if it isn’t an emergency.

• auscitizenmom says:

No little ones at home. I decided to try it after……my dog hurt her eye, the hurricane, a flight to visit my son and his family, caught a little bug there, flew home, drove a long way through traffic, picked up doggie with bad eye, had to drive to Tampa to eye vet next morning, then put drops in her eye every two hours and wake in the middle of the night for drops for the next two weeks. I was just exhausted and still had to put things back after the hurricane. That was all within 5 weeks. I was just too tired to fight my way through Walmart.

• piper567 says:

I have a close friend, young military wife. who has a one at 5yrs, one 3yrs, and a 9 monther.
          This service has been a godsend to her…she could hardly wait for our Walmart to begin this.
          I am like Janie…I do not like to shop, and I do make my list from L to R in the store.
          Saves much time. Never thought of it as being OC; it just made sense to me.

33. MIKE says:

Hi, folks. Forty years ago today, our country lost one of the greatest gifts to music from our southern rock genre. These guys had a special meaning to me from the day we met and continues to this day. May God bless us all and help us realize how special life is to us, even with all our own shortcomings. With that said, I’ll offer up a live version of one of my favorites, an upbeat little ditty, but Nuthin’ Fancy. Enjoy. You all here are special to me too.

34. free73735 says:

Post for anyone interested in J
    Gov Records Found on Weiner Laptop
    October 20, 2017

(Weekly Update: Live with Tom Fitton)

2,800 Huma Abedin Government Documents on Husband Weiner’s Laptop
    U.S. Doesn’t Vet Counterterrorism Trainees from Developing Nations

2,800 Huma Abedin Government Documents on Husband Weiner’s Laptop
    A major Clinton scandal development this week: State Department confirmed that it has 2,800 of Huma Abedin’s work-related documents from the FBI that were found on her estranged husband Anthony Weiner’s personal laptop.

Abedin was former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s deputy chief of staff. Weiner is a disgraced former congressman and New York mayoral candidate who recently pled guilty to transferring obscene material to a minor. Abedin kept a non-State.gov email account that she used repeatedly for government business on Hillary Clinton’s notorious email server(s).

The revelation was produced in a May 5, 2015, lawsuit we filed against the State Department (Judicial Watch, Inc. v. U.S. Department of State (No. 1:15-cv-00684)). We sued after the State Department failed to respond to a March 18, 2015, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request seeking: “All emails of official State Department business received or sent by former Deputy Chief of Staff Huma Abedin from January 1, 2009 through February 1, 2013 using a non-‘state.gov’ email address.”

In accordance with a court ordered production of documents, the State Department’s court filing states: “The State Department has identified approximately 2,800 work-related documents among the documents provided by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.” By December 31, 2017, the State Department expects to complete its review and production of the FBI records. The government suggests some of the material may be “duplicative” of other records.

This is a disturbing development. Our experience with Abedin’s emails suggests these Weiner laptop documents will include classified and other sensitive materials. When will the Justice Department do a serious investigation of Hillary Clinton’s and Huma Abedin’s obvious violations of law?

We previously released 20 productions of documents in this case that show examples of mishandling of classified information and instances of pay to play between the Clinton State Department and the Clinton Foundation. Also, at least 627 emails were not part of the 55,000 pages of emails that Clinton turned over, and further contradict a statement by Clinton that, “as far as she knew,” all of her government emails had been turned over to department.

We’ll be sure to let you know what documents we finally do receive at the end of the year.

U.S. Doesn’t Vet Counterterrorism Trainees from Developing Nations

It only takes one terrorist to commit terror. And yet the hole in one of our terrorism training programs is wide enough to allow any number foreigners to escape into the United States. Our Corruption Chronicles blog has the story.

The U.S. government spends upward of $100 million annually to provide foreign security and law enforcement personnel from developing nations with counterterrorism training but fails to vet them or assure they depart the county upon completion of the course. In some cases, the foreign nationals leave the training program unauthorized and the U.S. doesn’t bother tracking their whereabouts. Since the candidates weren’t properly screened in the first place, there’s no telling the kind of national security threat they could present.

The program is known as Antiterrorism Assistance (ATA) and the U.S. State Department funds it. From fiscal year 2012 to 2017, the agency doled out $715 million to train about 56,000 security force officials from dozens of “partner nations.” Nearly 3,000 of those participants were trained at facilities in the United States with anemic oversight from the government. The goal is to enhance the capability of foreign partners to prevent acts of terrorism, address terrorism incidents and capture and prosecute individuals involved in terrorist acts. The problem is that the program itself is vulnerable from a security standpoint, according to a federal audit released this month. Participant data is inaccurate or incomplete and training facilities are susceptible to breaches and attacks, the probe found.

In fact, what prompted the audit into this decades-old State Department program was the lax security at a Virginia ATA training facility. A south Florida news reporter brought it to the attention of veteran congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen after filming herself driving into the facility without being stopped or questioned. “And worse, she walked up to an explosives storage area undeterred and undetected,” according to a statement posted on Ros-Lehtinen’s congressional website. Residents near the facility also reported that some of the foreign nationals at the Virginia compound were taking unauthorized departures from the training. Ros-Lehtinen asked the Government Accountability Office (GAO), the investigative arm of Congress, to launch a probe and the findings are distressing.

“Among participants trained in the United States since 2012, ATA has documented 10 participant unauthorized departures from ATA activities and provided related information to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for follow-up,” the GAO states. “In addition to these 10, ATA recently identified 20 ATA participants trained in fiscal years 2012 through 2016 for whom departure from the United States following the completion of training is unconfirmed.” Officials running the ATA program admitted to congressional investigators that there is no formal process to confirm participants’ return to their home countries following the completion of training. “Without such a process, ATA may not be able to assess the extent to which it is using training in line with program goals,” the report says. “Further, State may not be able to provide information to DHS about participants whose failure to depart may warrant enforcement action.”

Ros-Lehtinen, who serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee, says ATA’s inaccurate or incomplete participant data is troubling because the U.S. can’t assure individuals were fully and properly vetted and program’s success—or failures—can’t be measured. The congresswoman is especially bothered by the unauthorized departure from ATA programs and participants that DHS had no indication departed from the U.S. “So, who are these people, where did they go, and why is there such a gap in communication between ATA and DHS?” Ros-Lehtinen asks. “There was no formal process of actually following up and ensuring that these participants actually got on a plane and returned home. This might be a small number of participants, but given what we know, I suspect that if a deeper dive was done we might find more unauthorized departures.”

Since its inception in 1983, ATA has trained and assisted over 84,000 foreign security and law enforcement officials from 154 countries, according to State Department figures. Most of the recipients are poor nations that lack resources to keep an effective antiterrorism program and infrastructure, according to the agency. Training includes bomb detection, crime scene investigations, airport and building security, maritime security, dignitary protection, and numerous other disciplines to increase their counterterrorism capabilities and capacity. “These officials are now better prepared to fight terrorism and protect Americans overseas in times of crisis,” the State Department claims.

Somebody is not minding the store, and the store is full of explosives. Is it too much to ask that we close this loophole?

Until next week …W:

35. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.