Thursday October 12th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

212 Responses to Thursday October 12th – Open Thread

1. BakoCarl says:

Grandma Covfefe says: Sept 29, 2017 at 1:45 am
    For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy. Psalm 63:7

We live in this world thinking man is king,
    Forgetting the power that evil can bring.
    The devil prowls, a lion with great power,
    Seeking his victims, his prey to devour.

Our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
    But powers of darkness rise as a flood
    With their rulers in this darkening sphere,
    Fighting against all God’s children here.

Though mankind is weak, our God is strong,
    And it is to God, through Christ, we belong.
    God is triumphant, and He is our King,
    Protecting us as chicks under His wings.

Man’s power is weak and we can’t defend,
    But God’s grace is sufficient; He will contend,
    Overcoming evil that seeks to surround,
    For as we fail, then God’s grace abounds.

We are God’s children, and have overcome,
    For God is the greater, the long war is won.
    Then in the future, with evil destroyed,
    We’ll be in His arms, endless peace and joy.

2. Garrison Hall says:

Real country still exists.

3. nwtex says:

Megyn Kelly is destroying NBC’s morning ratings
    October 10, 2017

he numbers are in, and “Megyn Kelly Today” is dragging down the “Today” show franchise, an insider explained to Page Six.

“Not only are ratings plummeting since Megyn Kelly joined the ‘Today’ franchise, but the numbers show Kelly’s lead-in has also affected Kathie Lee [Gifford] and Hoda Kotb’s show, which follows straight afterwards,” a source said.

“They’ve taken a huge hit with Megyn as their lead-in,” the insider added.

Kelly’s hour of “Today” is down 32 percent compared to a year ago. And “Kathie Lee & Hoda” is down 26 percent.

Too many people are tuning out NBC. Hoda and Kathie Lee had been a bright spot in the mornings. People are alarmed,” the source said of the slide. Another source told us that “Today” talent is concerned.

“The format for Megyn’s show doesn’t make sense. Her show distracts from the ‘Today’ franchise,” the second source said.

Making matters worse, Kelly split from power publicist Leslee Dart last month, and she’s been dogged by controversy from her awkward Debra Messing flap and Jane Fonda interview.

But an NBC insider told us things aren’t all bad for Kelly. “Megyn posted her highest ratings yet in the ‘key demographic’ on Monday, and she had her biggest total viewer number since the premiere . . . Everyone knows that ratings fluctuate at the start of a new show, and there has been nothing but support for Megyn from all of the ‘Today’ show hosts. They have each taken her out to lunch — Kathie Lee just took her to lunch today.”

4. Grandma Covfefe says:

For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. Ps. 71:5

I think of President Trump. He is such a confident person. His parents took their kids to Dr Norman Vincent Peale’s Church. Dr. Peale spoke and wrote books on positive thinking. I grew up on Dr. Peale’s books and Guideposts magazines, too.

• woodstuff says:

When I was young, I read Norman Vincent Peale’s “The Power Of Positive Thinking”. I have since forgotten much of it. I ordered a copy off EBAY and will read it again. I remember it was really enlightening. I’m eager to read it again.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

I still have my mother’s copy.
        When President Trump started his rallies, I thought, “Oh he has never forgotten Dr. Peale’s teachings”. President Trump’s messsage may have given us a dose of the ugly truth of what’s going on (100% of it is justified), but he also gave us a message of hope and the “We can do it” attitude”.

So thankful God had prepared him for this toughest job he has ever taken on–battling and draining the swamp, while making us his number one priority.

We love our President Trump.
        MAGA Trump’s Way

• Bendix says:

One of the messages from his book that stayed with me, was that if you have negative ideas about people who are more successful than you are, you will behave in ways that assure you will never be burdened with any of that filthy money.
          Bernie Sanders obviously never read that book.
          When you read books by your radical commie types, one thing that stands out is that they always hate large swaths of people, based on stereotypes. I’m sure Bernie read plenty of those.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Great point.

Jealousy is a strong emotion that’s difficult to reverse as one gets older. It turns into hate, then deep hate.

5. Lucille says:

1968 – “White Bird” by It’s A Beautiful Day

6. nwtex says:

Fun times! Living in and lovin’ the moment!

7. HolyLoly says:

This song will make you stand up and praise God!

8. nwtex says:

9. nwtex says:

Harvey Weinstein’s brother may have fed exposé to NY Times
    October 6, 2017

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein may have been stabbed in the back by his own brother, who, sources told The Post, has been trying for years to replace his sibling as the sole head of their marquee film studio.
    […]

“Bob’s wanted Harvey out for years,” said a former staffer, who added that the two brothers are becoming increasingly suspicious of each other.

Insiders believe that Bob may have helped concoct the explosive New York Times story that exposed the harassment allegations from Ashley Judd, Rose McGowan and other former employees.

“Bob may have even fed this story” to the Times, the insider said.
    […]

10. nwtex says:

11. This song typifies President Trump and First Lady Melania, in all that they do and ALL they are trying to achieve!  Stunning in its’ simple glorious value & message,
    Amen!💖💖💖
    🇺🇸M🇺🇸A🇺🇸G🇺🇸A🇺🇸

12. nwtex says:

13. nwtex says:

Sweet ❤

14. nwtex says:

Smartphones are hijacking our brains
    9 hours ago

We pull our smartphones out, on average, 80 times a day. A 2015 Gallup survey revealed that more than half of iPhone owners said that they couldn’t imagine life without their phones. For all of the comfort and convenience a phone provides, they’re also a hotbed for serious anxiety.

Scientists are discovering that now, more than ever, we’re looking at the world through our smartphones and as the technology gets more intuitive, we become more codependent and our brains are getting weaker.

A study out of the University of Texas at Austin has discovered that hearing a phone ring or vibrate derails focus so much that it makes concentration a problem. An experiment showed that when people could hear their phone ring but couldn’t answer it, they experienced a rise in their blood pressure, a quicker pulse, and their ability to solve problems declines.

For more details on the studies, go to The Wall Street Journal.

• amwick says:

We had accumulated a large credit on a track phone. Long story short is that I traded it in for a Samsung smart phone and about six months of free usage. Yesterday, for the first time, I took a picture and emailed it. That was the sum of everything I thought I wanted to learn. Snap a pic and then send it along. Check. I keep my smart phone (which is really a tiny tablet, btw) turned off. I do not want the entire world in my face, all the time. Nope. Bad for me. It is too complicated, and I am old.

Sadly, there are people who are unable to navigate this world, without an electronic voice giving them directions. Good luck with that.

• Bendix says:

To me, a cell phone was an invention that allowed more freedom to explore life more fully.
        Ask any woman what it was like, a long car trip on a lonely road, before the invention of portable phones.
        Or how you would be stuck in the house all day if you expected an important call.
        How disturbing to see something that originally expanded our boundaries now shrinking them.

• Blacksmith8 says:

I buy absolutely nothing that comes from UT Austin, there favorite sticker is ‘keep Austin weird’ and they spend everyday trying to live up to it.
      yuck.

15. nwtex says:

16. nwtex says:

Obama $500M Eyesore, er, Prez Library Will Dodge Fed Regs to Save Money
    October 11, 2017

Mystery solved: Now we know why the Obama Homage to Self, er, Temple of Doom, er, Presidential Library will not house any documents.

But really, isn’t an empty building the perfect symbol of his “legacy” ?

17. citizen817 says:

18. citizen817 says:

19. Lucille says:

Happy Cursday!

20. nwtex says:

Trump’s Justice Department moves on Harvey Weinstein and orders FBI to open probe over fears he will ‘do a Polanski’
    Updated: 22:50 EDT, 11 October 2017

The FBI has opened an investigation into Harvey Weinstein, DailyMail.com has exclusively learned.

DailyMail.com understands the move came at the behest of the Department of Justice, run by Donald Trump’s Attorney General Jeff Sessions, which instructed the bureau to investigate the mounting allegations leveled at the movie mogul.

While it is unknown whether the DOJ order came directly from Sessions, the move is likely to be seen in a political light given Weinstein’s friendship with Trump foe Hillary Clinton.

The move by the DOJ came amid rumors that Weinstein was planning on heading to Europe for sex rehab – leading to fears of a Roman Polanski-style situation where he dodges prosecution in the U.S.

However the movie exec appeared to have a last minute change of heart and decided to travel to Arizona for treatment instead at The Meadows center.

[…]

The move by the DOJ comes as it emerged the movie mogul has taken on top criminal defense lawyers Blair Berk and David Chesnoff.

[…]

The pair will join his expanding legal team following an article in the New Yorker, which alleged three women were sexually assaulted by him.

Up to 30 women have now come forward to make allegations of sexual misconduct.

Berk has represented A-listers like, Mel Gibson, Johnny Depp, Britney Spears, Kiefer Sutherland, and Lindsay Lohan, while Chesnoff’s clients have included Vince Neil, Bruno Mars, Paris Hilton, Leonardo DiCaprio and the family of Michael Jackson.

[…]

• nwtex says:

And this is why I cringe when I see something horrible hitting the news. It gets an inordinate amount of coverage and attention so that it stirs the darkness in the less than stable individuals. Then, in time, another horrific deed (not necessarily on the same scale) bringing death misery and sadness that’s what …..and the cycle continues.
      And “we ” wonder why and exclaim— what’s going on in society. The public have an insatiable appetite for tragedy. There is something wrong with that.
      The press is pathetic….fueling fires of evil. And the people follow along with their never ending interest. It’s a shame. I sometimes think people detach themselves from reality and somehow think they are reading a mystery novel. There are real lives here!

• litenmaus says:

I wonder what Hollywood secrets Secretary Mnuchin has shared with AG Sessions and Pres Trump?….This could get interesting.

21. nwtex says:

Daily Mail US‏Verified account @DailyMail 3m

Man arrested for threatening app company with Las Vegas-style shooting because they closed his account.

22. citizen817 says:

• piper567 says:

wow…thanks citizen!
      Hard to believe this man painted like this in the late1400s.
      Hard to imagine his “studio”, what he used to clean, what he used for brushes, etc.
      I had no idea so much so his work was religious in nature…Usually all you see is the rather kooky stuff (imagine that).
      The Adoration of The Magi, Ecce Homo, etc, are really astonishing: the detail are so perfect, the imagination so fertile.
      Thanks again.

23. nwtex says:

24. nwtex says:

25. nwtex says:

26. nwtex says:

27. 4beagles says:

Fox revamped their early am line up. No more 4am Briet Baier reruns, not it’s Fox & Friends First with Heather Childress @ 4am time slot. Why am I up at 4am?

28. nwtex says:

Breaks my heart. I’m out.

29. citizen817 says:

To many of us, the game will never be the same…it’s too late

30. citizen817 says:

So the View now has Meghan McCain on their show. Here’s an updated picture.

31. 4beagles says:

Yeah, it feels like looking back on a different era. I lost interest in the nfl a few years ago starting with Vick’s dog fighting thug lifestyle. Before that was Janet Jackson’s superbowl half time show which set off red flags

32. Dora says:

Wyllis Heaton – ‘Amarillo Iglacia’ (2002)

33. Dora says:

It was celebrated on October 12th back then.

34. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

35. Dora says:

The beauty of autumn takes away much of the sadness of losing the summer. I do dread what follows though.

===

Gather friends for an elegant dinner served in dazzling surroundings.

As the sunset paints the sky the brilliant shades of autumn leaves, gather with family and friends for an elegant autumn dinner. From soup to sweets, this dressed-up dinner table will shine as brightly as the harvest moon that holds sway over the sublime fall soiree.

36. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.”
    Prov 10:22 (KJV)

37. Patriot1783 says:

Maybe ol Alec maybe should join Harvey in AZ rehab so his anger issues can be addressed. Must be tough to wake up every morning with a career in toilet and a realization after a life of being in the public eye via previous decent movies and television shows to be now only known as a President impersonator. 😂😂😂

38. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

39. Nikki/Chico says:

Good morning everyone, may the Lord bless you today and always. Lord please comfort and draw close to your loved ones who are suffering today throughout the earth. Dear Lord Jesus they are yours and no one can snatch them out of your Father’s hand.

Psalm 139New King James Version (NKJV)
    God’s Perfect Knowledge of Man
    For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.
    139
    O Lord, You have searched me and known me.

You know my sitting down and my rising up;
    You understand my thought afar off.

You comprehend my path and my lying down,
    And are acquainted with all my ways.

For there is not a word on my tongue,
    But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.

You have hedged me behind and before,
    And laid Your hand upon me.

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
    It is high, I cannot attain it.

Where can I go from Your Spirit?
    Or where can I flee from Your presence?

If I ascend into heaven, You are there;
    If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.

If I take the wings of the morning,
    And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
    Even there Your hand shall lead me,
    And Your right hand shall hold me.
    If I say, “Surely the darkness shall fall[a] on me,”
    Even the night shall be light about me;
    Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You,
    But the night shines as the day;
    The darkness and the light are both alike to You.
    For You formed my inward parts;
    You covered me in my mother’s womb.
    I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;[b]
    Marvelous are Your works,
    And that my soul knows very well.
    My frame was not hidden from You,
    When I was made in secret,
    And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
    Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed.
    And in Your book they all were written,
    The days fashioned for me,
    When as yet there were none of them.
    How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
    How great is the sum of them!
    If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand;
    When I awake, I am still with You.
    Oh, that You would slay the wicked, O God!
    Depart from me, therefore, you bloodthirsty men.
    For they speak against You wickedly;
    Your enemies take Your name in vain.[c]
    Do I not hate them, O Lord, who hate You?
    And do I not loathe those who rise up against You?
    I hate them with perfect hatred;
    I count them my enemies.
    Search me, O God, and know my heart;
    Try me, and know my anxieties;
    And see if there is any wicked way in me,
    And lead me in the way everlasting.

40. Dora says:

Oh shucks. I thought my coins were still in there.

41. Need help! My computer screen keeps moving and I can’t read these articles! What do I do please?

• dbethd says:

Install AdBlock (free ad blocker) or use a different browser such as Brave.

• duchess01 says:

Checked forums and help centers – most say it is a mouse issue – suggestions:

Change battery; Clean mouse inside and out; Check Mouse Setup –

Search your question – and Read suggestions – Hope this helps, Bruce!

• Jim in TN says:

Prior to installing an ad blocker some ads would force the computer to go to their ad. Repetitively and obnoxiously. Again and again and again. For a long thread, there wasn’t time to find where I was reading before it jerked the screen back up to the ad. Even worse when trying to make a comment.

After installing the ad blocker, it now takes a long time to download each page. Pictures, videos, twitter posts can all be seen first as simple text, then as a larger space, then filled in. Each of these steps will jerk the page around. Attempts to start reading, or to find a location are doomed to suffer these dislocations until the page is fully loaded. These are smaller jerks than the first kind.

If I try to start reading at the bottom of the page prior to the page fully loading, there is also a final move that moves to the top of the page. Very large pages will take some time just to download the text, so it is easy getting to the current bottom of the page, but you have to keep scrolling as it adds more items below that point to stay at the bottom. And the final move taking me back to the top comes after all that.

After posting comments, the page will jerk around too. If I was reading down from the top, it will likely end up above my post. If I was reading up from the bottom it will end up below my post. Posts sometimes take time to be approved. Unapproved posts leave me at the start of the page. Refreshing the page usually adds the new post, but I have to go find it. The jerk around when posting seems to be dependent on how many entries are on the page and how long it takes for me to write my entry. Tomes like this one get more jerking action. My guess is that all the new posts and replies made while I was typing have an effect.

Sometimes I do suffer from a random screen jump. This could be due to mice effects, but it is seen most often on my Surface Pro when held as a tablet. And associated with oddball touches.

Except for the last paragraph, these behaviors are common to PCs running I.E. and windows (several different versions of each) and running chrome on windows, and running chrome on an Android phone, and running Edge with Windows 10 on the Surface device.

Computers have a way of forcing you to do things the way they want you to do it. Maybe I should try Brave. It has been recommended a few times.

I am surprised that blogs allow such abusive adds. They prevent the use of the blog! I actually like to get ads targeted to me. But to do what I want, I have to have an ad blocker. (And apparently a lot of patience.). Now lots of sites prevent reading if their ads are blocked. Too bad for them. They need to enforce civility rules on their advertisers.

42. Nikki/Chico says:

Here’s my contribution to “happy cursday”

I love dogs, I have two cats, I love them too. 🙂🌺

43. Nikki/Chico says:

Aw sugar, maybe, just maybe

44. Nikki/Chico says:

Sigh, 😞. I concede defeat. I wanted to share a video of a Belgian Malinois like the one in the movie Max. The video title is “before you get a Belgian malinois consider this”

But it’s hard for me to not like any dogs 🙂😜

45. Jacqueline Taylor Robson says:

I always laugh at dog-shaming.

46. Nikki/Chico says: