Tuesday October 10th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

140 Responses to Tuesday October 10th – Open Thread

1. BakoCarl says:

maiingankwe says: Oct 9, 2017 at 4:37 pm
    . . . my cloud watching hour . . .

JC says: Oct 9, 2017 at 4:49 pm
    Cloud-watching and stargazing . . . favorite memories . . . soft, peaceful sessions . . .

Peace, Blessed Peace

Just reading, all alone, on your back porch by the pond,
    In the shade with the pine scent heavy in the air.
    A croaker sounds by the reeds, another responds.
    Your special book, on your lap, in your favorite chair.

Lying flat on your back, smelling the grass and soil,
    White, puffy clouds drift on a bright field of blue.
    Shapes form, then change, first a calm then they roil,
    Imaginations run free, new shapes blossom on cue.

Listening to the waves as they crest on the shore,
    On a blanket, on the sand, in the shade of a tree.
    In the clear salty air, the seagulls cry and soar,
    As the sandpipers run on the sand by the sea.

Light squares soft on the floor, the sun shining high,
    The clink of your spoon on the cup with your tea.
    Lace curtains on their stretchers, drying nearby,
    Twin sparrows neatly perched in the old maple tree.

Long brown straight furrows side by side in the soil,
    The smell of the compost hangs heavy in the air.
    Five minutes snatched from your long day of toil,
    A gentle breeze stirs as you say a quick prayer.

The sound of your boots slapping rubber on your leg,
    The smell of black muck and salt marsh fills the air.
    Salt hay mounds perched high on sturdy wooden pegs,
    Bright green from the marsh grass, geese flying midair.

A calm, chill day, gray clouds scud low across the sky,
    Expectation builds for the year’s first falling snow.
    Little bits of white fall, elusive and shy,
    As the season ahead sets all warm hearts aglow.

As your long day ends, the sun is down, dusk is here,
    The magic of twilight before the dark of night.
    Sounds slowly cease, just a lone cricket to hear,
    In the warm quiet, fireflies’ dancing, blinking lights.

Peering into the black, twinkling pinpoints of light,
    The Milky Way spreads, a flag of lights all unfurled.
    You marvel at the shapes, see a meteor’s flight.
    God’s in these heavens bringing His lights to our world.

At the day’s very end, reading a Psalm or two,
    In praise of the One whose blessings never cease,
    Who provides for our needs, and brings mercies anew,
    Who fills all our days with special moments of peace.

• the phoenix says:

A lovely poem, BakoCarl,
      … just right for a restful night. * smiles *

Here’s a poem I wrote:

Perseids

Meteors wove years together
      Of a father’s promise to never let things so important go unseen,
      Even surrounded by others without dreams.
      His voice silent now except in a dream,
      I promise to look
      Until the view is shared again.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Love this one too. More camping memories out in the Mohave desert and Joshua Tree.

—The shooting stars–Halley comet–moon rises–
        —The heavenly splashes of twinkling stars at midnight–
        —God is here. Always. Forever.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Love it BakoCarl. Perfect in place of a bedtime story.

It brought back memories of our many camping trips-to the beaches and the deserts and sometimes up in the mountains since I was five.

Thank you for such a soothing poem.

• maiingankwe says:

BakoCarl,
      Now that was amazing. Every line I read had me looking forward to the next and the next. The imagery was outstanding. Would you allow us to copy it down and put your name to it?

I want to read it again and again and never to be lost. I want to display it in my little nook where I read the most.

Those words are to be treasured, and I think it’s because they bring so many of our beautiful memories to the forefront. Dang, you’re so talented and I’m ever so proud of you. You make my heart sing with your writing.
      Ma’iingankwe

• BakoCarl says:

Feel free to copy . . . don’t need to ascribe source.

Glad it made you think of good memories . . . I felt the same when I wrote it.

• duchess01 says:

God speaks to us through His Creation – ‘Go to the Quiet’ and ‘Listen’ –

Thank You, sincerely, Carl, for the beautifully descriptive images of His Creation –

God Bless You for sharing God’s Glorious Gifts with us and His Gift to you!

• JC says:

Beautiful, BakoCarl.

2. and GOD IS THE POWER AND GLORY AMEN.

3. Lucille says:

Series….

4. Grandma Covfefe says:

May integrity and uprightness protect me, because my hope, Lord, is in you. Ps 25:21

5. Garrison Hall says:

6. Lucille says:

Some people have interesting hobbies….

The Mast Walk by Alex Thomson

7. citizen817 says:

Boeing buys Aurora, an autonomous drone company

The company beat both Boeing and Lockheed to a juicy DARPA contract.

Most famously, the company won funding to build phase two of the VTOL X-Plane — beating out both Boeing and Lockheed Martin. The VTOL X-Plane (codenamed LightningStrike) promises to achieve top flight speeds of up to 400 knots with a more efficient hover and lift-to-drag ratio.

8. citizen817 says:

• Lucille says:

A friend of mine loves to go camping, especially if a lake is nearby. This last summer she stopped at a campground and the lake shore was full of that horrible algae. There were signs right at the lake edge indicating no swimming. You’d think they would have prominent signs at the very entrance to the grounds so people wouldn’t waste their time stopping there.

• Bob says:

The lake may be an issue….the product is still crap….

• millwright says:

Methinks this is yet another “pot/kettle ” tirade ! Coming form a NE dairy heritage I’m somewhat familiar with “Milk Orders” imposed by the USG ! B & J’s take advantage of this government imposed “skewing “of raw milk market to produce their product . That has “upstream consequences” as formerly small family dairies are consolidated into larger units with all the consequences of concentrating animals ( and their effluvia ) into smaller, more efficient systems.

• shannynae says:

I have boycotted them for years and years because of their distain for this country and the Constitution.

9. smiley says:

it’s a small world..

🙂

• Nikki/Chico says:

LIKE!
      God bless you

I’d post the small world song but …… no ….. it’ll get stuck in everyone’s head

😶

• Raven says:

Love the people skating in the ice cube tray. Reminds me of the year Lake Superior froze over from Duluth, Minnesota to Superior, Wisconsin. There had been no snow and no wind, so the lake froze clear and flat. It was miraculous to see.

• Nikki/Chico says:

Hey there Raven, you know it’s a blistering cold winter when Lake Superior freezes over. In the late seventies Lake St. Clair froze over and when the thaw came the ice started to stack up domino style along Lake Shore Drive. It was something to see the residents in the area were really concerned about damage to homes and property.

🌹

• Raven says:

Howdy Nikki/Chico,

I had never heard of Lake St. Clair before so I had to look it up. It is another big lake between us and Canada — one I most definitely should have known about and one I have driven by many times.

Yes, it is super cool to see what these big lakes do throughout winter.

We go to the waters edge where there are large round rocks that water has splashed on and froze to a nice thick “bowl” We walk ~~carefully~~ along the lake’s edge overturning those bowls and setting them on the rocks that formed them. It is beautiful to see the array of clear ice bowls glistening in the sun behind us.

And we have walked far out onto the large ice dominoes and taken pictures with nothing behind us but snow and ice as far as the eye can see. We look as though we are in the Arctic, but we are just down the hill from home. And on dangerous territory if the ice moves.

Here is a photo I copied from an old newspaper article the year the lake froze between the two states (2007). It was surreal to see people far out on the big lake, ice skating, walking in large groups, bicycling and playing hockey with nets and all. One day in particular I looked at the activities on the lake and the memory I have is one of total serendipitous joy. No camera with me at the time, but it is in my head like a sweet carnival ride.

• Nikki/Chico says:

Raven this picture is way cool, my husband grew up just up the street from lake st. Clair. He said he’d walk out on it in winter the ice was solid. There’s a park near us on the lake shore, when our two boys were little we walked out to the waters edge to look at the ice. I mentioned it’d be nice to take them out on it and was it safe to do, I asked how fast was the water moving, their dad said about 30 some mile per hour. I decided it wasn’t a good idea, never know where the thin ice is.

In the Clint Eastwood movie “Gran Torino” the opening shot of the car driving down the street that street is Lake Shore Drive in the Grosse Pointes in Michigan. The Ford family was ensconced on this drive, it’s pretty.

Also, Duluth! I like the Duluth Trading Company, they’re real good.

Take care

God bless

🌹

10. Lucille says:

Forever wave

11. smiley says:

heart-breaking and horrific…

At Least 10 Dead, 1500 Structures Lost In Northern California Firestorm, Among Worst In Sate’s History

Oct 9, 2017

14 fires are ravaging 8 counties in northern California….nature and animal preserves also at risk…homes lost…thousands evacuated…and the fires rage on.

12. Dora says:

Henry Patrick Raleigh (1880 – 1944) was a superb draftsman and accomplished illustrator who flourished during the Golden Age of American Illustration.

He was sort after by the most popular authors and publications. During his success, he was one of the highest paid illustrators in the country.

In 1925, Art Critic Evert Shinn proclaimed him “America’s greatest illustrator.”

Pretty Girl Profile (1902)

13. smiley says:

Landscape 03

(no date)

oil on paper board, mounted on canvas (!)

Sahin Karakoc ~ Turkey (b.1955) ~ Contemporary ~ Expressionism ~ Landscapes

Landscape 01

oil on cardboard, mounted on canvas

dynamic expressionist…not easy to render landscapes in an abstracted, expressionist style, successfully.

really have to know what you’re doing…and you have to do it very quickly…and then know when to just stop.

🙂

14. getfitnow says:

An excellent article.

FTA – Everyone knew Harvey Weinstein was a bad guy. The bloated, greasy movie mogul slimed his way through countless ballrooms, suites and restaurants trailing lies, threats and promises.
    But he had the right politics.

At the 100th anniversary of Planned Parenthood, honoring Hillary Clinton, the recently defeated candidate, drinks named “Toxic Masculinity” were being served. Also on the scene was Harvey Weinstein. And Harvey had his thick wallet open to the tune of $100K for the abortion organization.

• smiley says:

poster freak for “…unlimited vice…”

excellent article, as always, by Mr Greenfield.

• amwick says:

bloated, greasy perfect description!!!

• Lburg says:

He was close enough to Hillary to send emails to her staff when she was SOS.

Nothing pernicious, but in the FOIA documents:
      August 2010 – Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C0577639
      August 2010 – Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05771759
      June 2012 – Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05790739
      January 2013 – Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05797539

And for Hillary to request adding him to a ‘call list’:
      March 2011 – Case No. F-2014-20439 Doc No. C05779916

• Raven says:

“Toxic Masculinity”

That makes me both angry and sad at the same time.

Masculinity is a marvelous thing for which I give thanks to God.

Toxic is what the left is — drink up, Hillary.

• czarowniczy says:

Wonder if he gave that $100k as PP gave him a ‘valued customer’ card due his referrals?

• Lucille says:

Deep down, underneath the pathetic sleaze and dehumanization that Satan inspires, Weinstein had to know this day would arrive…that he would be outed, be made to pay. He’s so far gone into that world, though, on the surface he likely thinks he will be able to somehow get out of it like Billy Jeff did/does to this day.

Until he (and Clinton, too, plus all the others who are so inclined) realizes that Satan and his minions have control of his soul, until he truly repents, turns his life around and trusts in the Lord, he will remain lost in his corrupt world. He’s not the first and he won’t be the last to break the spirit and reality of the Ten Commandments and run from what he knows is right.

We all have choices in this life. It would be well for our souls to remember what God related to Joshua for him to pass on to the people…(key verse Joshua 24:15): “And if it seem evil unto you to serve the Lord, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

• BigMamaTEA says:

More about the size of Weinstein’s wallet than anything else.

15. And speaking of the above photo. I missed the anniversary of this but remembered it happening one year ago TODAYish.

16. Nikki/Chico says:

Good morning treepers!

Ephesians 6:10-20

The Whole Armor of God
    10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age,[c] against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
    14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.

May you all be blessed today. Please keep those who grieve, those who struggle against the evil of injustice, close in your hearts, give thanks for the blessing we receive.

17. Nikki/Chico says:

Matthew 19:14King James Version (KJV)

14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

18. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.”
    Psalms 86:11 (KJV)

20. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

21. Dora says:

I’m glad the liberals are furious. That’s a good sign.

22. jogreggre says:

I am so grateful that The Lord’s Prayer is posted here. I always stop and (try to thoughtfully) read it.

• MK Wood says:

Combined with Ps 23 it becomes perfect.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
      He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
      He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
      Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
      Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
      Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

• BigMamaTEA says:

jogreggre, Good way to start your day.

• My heart cries out in pain, for those who have sacrificed their all, so that we may live in freedom. May those who refuse to stand for the Flag and Anthem, may they understand that they are just the symbols of our freedoms under which these HERO’S have fought and died so that we may live. We owe an immeasurable debt to them and their families. that is why we stand…

23. Jim says:

Hollywood has their heroes, here is one of mine.

24. Raven says:

Watering the Tree by Natalia Rak — another Polish wonder.

• smiley says:

I enjoy “street art”, as its called.

here’s an article about Natalia’s “Watering Tree” mural (above) with more photos of it close-up, and Natalia on her scaffolding, working on this.

🙂

• Raven says:

Super cool. Thanks Smiley!

For years my husband and I not only worked 40+ hour a week jobs, we were also home flippers long before doing such a thing was a TV show.

One year my husband, who is afraid of heights, bought me a 45′ boom lift. He even had my name put on the lift, which I thought was pretty cool, since I knew few people brave enough to extend the arm straight up and out, or who were crazy enough to do so. I’d guess it was about the height of the lift Natalia is working on in this photo, but only had two arms and not three like what she’s using. And it had the controls in the bucket, so I could drive my old girl around from up high if I wanted, but that was something that totally freaked me out (and probably as dangerous as could be). It was an old used boom, one I never had training on, but it was a pretty funky tool for a different kind of painting.

• smiley says:

years ago, in the Caribbean, I did a lot of exterior murals for various hotels & resorts.

40-50 ft high…and no “boom lifts”…stood on scaffolding made of BAMBOO w/ wooden planks lying across each level…in the SAND.

was MUCH younger then. 🙂

• Raven says:

Yeowser! I’ve done work on scaffolding, which is why we got a boom. But scaffolding made of bamboo sounds freaky, even though I know that is what they use on very tall buildings in China and Hong Kong.

And bamboo scaffolding in the sand? Yes, being younger and seemingly invincible makes for great memories.

Do you have photos of any of your murals you would like to share? Would love to see any you’d be willing to show us!

Crazy thing I remembered yesterday that I used to do all the time up until I hit 55 years old was swing upside down on parallel bars in the park. When I remembered how I used to do that I wondered why I stopped. Old age? (yeah, like being 43 and hanging upside down doesn’t look doopey). Now I’m thinking I have to find a park and go hang upside down like a monkey again. (Hopefully the bars will be closer to the ground than in this photo, since my bones are not what they used to be!)

• auscitizenmom says:

I wouldn’t mind so much “street art” like this. But, I don’t like what they do in some cities here in the US.

25. smiley says:

Jessica Chambers trial to start…soon…

sposed to be able to watch it LIVE here…

…at the bottom video shown.

26. Moishe Pipik says:

Just got back from Washington, D.C. It’s never looked better! I had a great time. Stayed in Georgetown just down the block from our President’s house.

About the Vegas shooting — it’s interesting how newspapers, when they cover the “history of mass shootings in America” never mention that the modern mass shooting was “invented” by a lesbian “woman” who shot up a pre-school.

Even though there was a hit song about this event (“I don’t like Mondays”) it’s been swept under the rug because it doesn’t fit the narrative.

• wondering999 says:

Went to Youtube to look for the Boomtown Rats’ “I don’t like Mondays”. Won’t post it because with the inspiration behind it, I just don’t want to…. but that’s interesting Moishe.
      The teen girl who shot up the school came from a background of parental alcoholism and a traumatic head injury that may have played a part… she is still in prison according to Wiki.

Then there’s this history from Knoxville TN from the 1970s. Some people say that downtown Knoxville lost businesses after that shooting. The man had voices in his head and wasn’t taking psychiatric meds that had been prescribed. Some people need more supervision to be living in civilized places

27. dbethd says:

Music Monday

28. dbethd says:

Vice President Mike Pence visits victims of Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico | October 7, 2017 (Official White House Photo by D. Myles Cullen)

29. jackphatz says:

LOL The People’s Cube

LOL!!

30. Lucille says:

Young Actor Fired For Being a Vocal Conservative

31. patrickhenrycensored says:

Vets give back by trading military gear for ’40s-style glamour

32. nwtex says:

Applebee’s and IHOP Will Close 100 Locations
    Aug 11, 2017

It’s no secret that mid-level chain restaurants are having a tough go of things lately, and here’s more evidence to add to that file: More than 100 Applebee’s locations and around 20 IHOPs will shutter this year, CBS reports.

DineEquity, the parent company of both brands, is focusing on shuttering underperforming locations. An earnings report released yesterday shows sales fell by more than six percent at Applebee’s and nearly three percent at IHOP in the last quarter; meanwhile, CBS notes that DineEquity’s stock has lost almost half its value this year.
    […]

33. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.

34. nwtex says:

Nick Cannon upsets Catholic University with controversial performance
    5 days ago

Comedian Nick Cannon says he won’t apologize for his performance during a New Jersey Catholic university’s homecoming weekend.

Officials at Georgian Court University, in Lakewood, say Cannon disregarded the terms of his contract and “crossed the line” with offensive words that do not represent the school’s core values, The Asbury Park Press reported.

“I’m sorry your university doesn’t believe in freedom of speech!!!” responded Cannon on Tuesday via Twitter.

Cannon was asked “to avoid vulgarity and explicit sexual content” because Saturday’s show was expected to draw older alumni, university President Joseph Marbach said in a statement.
    […]

35. Lucille says:

If you use Firefox, bad news…

BREAKING: Mozilla Firefox Donates Over $100,000 To Antifa-Linked Organization
    OCTOBER 10, 2017 BY BRETT MACDONALD

36. keeler says:

Anyone else having problems with posting comments tonight?