Sunday September 24th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

155 Responses to Sunday September 24th – Open Thread

1. guru1966 says:

In our never-ending (some might say tiresome) debate over the Alabama GOP primary runoff, I see occasional statements from posters who wonder why Roy Moore has such strong support.

As a Treeper who will be proudly voting for Roy Moore next Tuesday (and again in November), I want to share my reasons for being, first and foremost, FOR Roy Moore, and secondly, AGAINST Luther Strange.

For Roy Moore:

1. Unquestionably seeks to protect Christian values.
Whether you agree or disagree, Moore has been willing to give up his elected position TWICE in order to support Christian values. You can disagree with his technique, but you cannot question a man who gives up what he has given up in order to stand for what he believes in.

2. He is an outsider, considered a bit brash by some, and isn’t supported by the establishment GOP. Kinda reminds me of my favorite president1 🙂
    3. Just an overall impressive man with an interesting life.
West Point graduate. Viet Nam vet. Was briefly a professional kickboxer. Worked a year as a cowboy.

Against Luther Strange:

4. Unethical appointment to the U.S. Senate.
Search the web for details, but the short story is simple: Only a few weeks before Gov. Bentley resigned in disgrace, he appointed Strange to fill Session’s seat. Strange was our AG, supposedly “investigating” Bentley. Our legislature was also investigating Bentley – until Strange told them to stop. It reeks of corruption.
    5. Scorched-earth campaigns, financed by the GOPe.
This is a party primary. Millions have been wasted by the GOP to beat… other GOP. Some say this is typical support for a GOP incumbent. But, this is not. Strange has never been elected as our senator. He was only appointed to fill the term, and had only been doing so for less than six months when the GOP started their cash flow.
And his campaign? Distortions and lies to get ahead of the 2nd tier candidates (Mo Brooks in particular) and earn a runoff spot. Then, more distortions and lies against Moore.
There’s a reason that the #3, #4, and #5 finishers have all endorsed Moore. They saw his politics of personal destruction up close and personal.
    6. He was a DC lobbyist for around 15 years.

Now, perhaps those of you who wonder why this race engenders so much passion can see why that is so.

On a side note, I’m extremely weary of the nastiness that this race has brought on this site.
    I admit and apologize that I have been a part of that.
    So, I am gonna do my best to respond with positivity and information when needed, and with silence to those who are only seeking to stir up trouble.

Can’t promise that I’ll be able to stick to that, but I’ll try! :)

• Lucille says:

Guru says…”Can’t promise that I’ll be able to stick to that, but I’ll try! :)
” Please DO stick to that, guru. I don’t live in Alabama and have no preference in the primary. However, the ugliness posted on the Alabama race is the worst I’ve ever seen here. It really needs to stop.

• guru1966 says:

I agree, Lucille. Thank you!

• dilonsfo says:

I am living in communist California so my opinion of what Alabamians should do is of no consequence. That should be for the people of Alabama to decide. Hopefully, they will look to California and never let the great State of Alabama go down that road. However, I have read your writing battles proposing and defending your position on this matter on the other threads. So I don’t understand why you would bring that to this here. This thread almost always is a thread of peace, good people connecting with each other like a circle of friends talking to each other over a good meal. Since no one here asked for your opinion (and probably read it in the political threads) on this particular day on this particular thread…why not continue to post on those other “debate” threads. Why invite that “nastiness” and weariness you are so tired of here?

• guru1966 says:

Dilonsfo… Simple answer is, I posted to this thread by mistake! Meant to post to the other.
            Since we posters can’t edit our posts, I’m not sure if the ad rem can rectify that mistake or not. If so, please do, ad rem.

• grandmotherpatriot says:

President Trump stood with Luther Strange as Luther Strange stood with President Trump with no strings attached – loyalty.
      President Trump also stated that he will back either candidate that wins.

As much as I like Bannon and Gorka, neither were the reason I voted for President Trump as Breitbart was originally in the Cruz Camp prior to boarding the Trump Train.
      How you vote is your choice and I respect your choice.

• I had a little problem with that “loyalty” stand Trump took. His loyalty should be to us the American citizen and not to a senator or congress person–make no mistake when they enter the swamp they will show no loyalty to him or to us. He should never do anything out of loyalty to anyone unless it is the American people.

• Janie M. says:

madeline, I believe President Trump’s “loyalty” stand is based upon his desire to get legislation passed for OUR benefit. He’s faced an up-hill battle from the onset of his administration. Your statement leads me to believe you think the opposite is true. Given the obstructionist RINO rats in congress, I can understand why he would make such public statement. If I am understanding Strange’s position, he has expressed his willingness to support PJT’s agenda. Haven’t studied this in depth… I don’t have a dog in this hunt.

• grandmotherpatriot says:

Good Point but that was Presidetn Trump’s point that with Luther there was no ” catch ” when President Trump asked for Luther’s Support in regards to repealing Obamacare.
          Repeal is for the American People .

2. conservalicious says:

Vote now: Should NFL owners Fire Players who protest the National Anthem? (Fox News San Diego Poll)

This is why we Stand

• JC says:

Thanks for the link, C.

• Chris says:

88.8 % ‘fire them @3:25.. me thinks NFL will ignore and play SJW anyway..

• amwick says:

What I didn’t understand is how does the 1st amendment applies to the workplace. NFL players are employed to play football, it is their job, so a football game, and the stadium is their workplace, just like an office, just like a factory.. just like any other job… I think the 1st amendment protection is really misunderstood, when it comes to a job.. I did a quick look up,,, and found this (from 2015 but a good summary discussion)

If this use of economic power to punish speech sounds un-American, remember that the First Amendment limits only the government’s ability to suppress speech. It provides that “Con­gress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech.” Courts have extended this prohibition to all feder­al, state, and local government officials but have consistently emphasized that the First Amendment’s strictures do not apply to private-sector employers. Accordingly, the only people who enjoy First Amendment protection vis-à-vis their employers are people employed by the government.

People throw around the term freedom of speech, but they do not really understand what it is and how it is limited. I am not trying to diminish this freedom, just the opposite. It is a huge protection, but it is protection from our government, not our employer. Sorry rant over.

• Gunnar says:

You are correct. However, business in the US has historically understood that Americans are a free people, and are free to think and believe as they wish insofar as it does not directly affect the company. That has disappeared in the past few decades. In the past, the fact that your receiver was a Nazi was immaterial to the company, as long as he did his job, dealt with all the company’s staff and clients as required, and kept his unsanitary trap shut at work. Today, rallies he attends in his free time, postings he makes on his Facebook, associations he had in his youth, all are used as an opportunity to start a witch hunt and destroy his life. An American attitude used to include “will defend to the death your right to say it”, and that is gone from public discourse. Toleration of differing views is gone, to be replaced by righthink. You can’t merely decline my gay wedding cake, you have to approve of it regardless of your beliefs.

• amwick says:

My point is that the first amendment is really misunderstood. Business owners as a group may be liberal or not in that respect, but they have the right to decide. The NFL is an employer,,, the players are employees, simple,period, end of story.

• BigMamaTEA says:

amwick, you’ve got it! All of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights are protection from the GOVERNMENT…..

• Too Real says:

Hillary is a liar…………………………………………………………..
          Trump’s tweet was referring to a seven-month old report from Politico, which found that Ukrainian officials worked with the DNC to help do opposition research on Trump in order to help Clinton’s campaign. This research was also leaked to several American journalists, according to the report.

Politico found that a veteran DNC operative, Alexandra Chalupa, sought out information to damage the Trump campaign after media reports speculated Paul Manafort had ties to Russia. She sought out help to do this from the Ukrainian Ambassador to the U.S. and one of his top aides, “with the DNC’s encouragement,” Politico reported.

Chalupa spoke to Politico, which recalled:

She [Chalupa] said that, when Trump’s unlikely presidential campaign began surging in late 2015, she began focusing more on the research, and expanded it to include Trump’s ties to Russia, as well. She occasionally shared her findings with officials from the DNC and Clinton’s campaign, Chalupa said.

The report went into further detail, but the long and short of it explained how Ukrainian officials admitted to “working very closely” with Chalupa, who then shared this information with the DNC.

One official, Andrii Telizhenko told Politico:

“They were coordinating an investigation with the Hillary team on Paul Manafort with Alexandra Chalupa.”

Telizhenko recalled that Chalupa told him and Shulyar that, “If we can get enough information on Paul [Manafort] or Trump’s involvement with Russia, she can get a hearing in Congress by September.”

Say what? This is what you really call “empirical evidence” of collusion with a foreign government — inviting them to interfere in the 2016 election. Yet the media ignores it, Congressional Democrats avert their eyes, and Congressional Republicans, afraid of their own shadow, let Democratic bottom feeders like Rep. Adam Schiff and Rep. Chuck Schumer beat up on President Trump without any meaningful response or defense.

Where are the congressional hearings on Hillary’s collusion with the Ukraine? Where is the special prosecutor preparing an indictment based on wiretaps of Team Clinton’s collusion with the Ukraine? Were these things lost in the alleged conversation on the tarmac between President Clinton and Obama AG Loretta Lynch? Were they lost on the cutting room floor when James Comey wrote his memo exonerating Hillary Clinton before key witnesses, including Hillary herself, were ever questioned?

Trump told the truth and is totally vindicated. Let the investigation of the real criminals and colluders begin.

• amwick says:

The NFL should know this, so should the so called news anchors. It is an important distintion, very important. They are allowing the players to anger the customers, so they deserve what is coming. They could tell the players to stand, and offer them a separate forum to address these terrible grievances (/s), or they could tell them to stand or be terminated. It is not complicated.

3. citizen817 says:

Sounds of Silence
    18 string harp guitar

• Minnie says:

Thank you, citizen.

You may not realize the impeccable timing of your post tonight, but it is.

So beautiful, thank you.

• guru1966 says:

Agree! Beautiful song, beautiful instrument.

• This reminded me of when the “Third Man” zither examples were posted a few days back. Zither and harp guitar both have a section of close strings where the melody is normally played, and a section of bass strings usually used as drone notes, or for continuo.

Jamie performs a lot of nice covers, in a variety of styles. Michael Hedges (a genius, who died too young) was really responsible for bringing harp guitar back into fashion during the ’80s. I think the instrument itself can also be expressive in the hands of players who use more of a “tap” technique.

In this example, Andy McKee uses the whole instrument both melodically and percussively, utilizing the natural “boomy” resonance of the box as an alternative to playing the tune on the guitar section and using the harp section for the bass notes of chords (as Jamie does).

4. BakoCarl says:

Grandma Covfefe says: September 22, 2017 at 12:54 am
    Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Rom 15:13

Joy, Peace and Hope

We may be asked what we want in life,
    Be it money or power or fame.
    Or maybe it’s just to do our own thing,
    Or hit the home run that wins the game.

Most Christians tend to think other thoughts;
    We have very different goals in mind.
    Christians might say “To follow God’s will,”
    Or “To love God and to man be kind.”

Those are things we should do in life,
    But what is it we want as we live?
    As we walk the paths made straight by God,
    What is it that life has to give?

I, for one, look for peace in my life,
    Serenity – a calmness of mind.
    I find this peace from believing
    The world’s events are by God’s design.

Though I don’t know the details of His plans,
    I know that His plans are for my good,
    Plans to let me grow into His ways,
    Plans to guide me to walk where I should.

I also look for some happiness,
    For life without joy would be cold.
    But God gives us joy inexpressible,
    When we trust in His Son to save our souls.

As we look around us in these days,
    We see trouble and rubble and debris.
    But the Lord takes delight in his people,
    And has crowned us with His victory.

One final thing I look for in life,
    Is hope for a future, far from sin.
    Of all the promises that we hold,
    The best is our future with Him.

Christian hope is not wishful thinking,
    But surety in the things to come.
    The trumpet will sound, we’ll hear the shout,
    And rise to be ever with God’s Son.

In this, my life, I’d like it to be
    That a river of peace flows softly nearby,
    That I am filled with joy after joy,
    And on wings of hope I soar and fly.

But that’s not how it always will be
    As I trip and stumble along my way.
    There will be troubles and sadness, too,
    While the future turns cloudy and gray.

I may wonder “Why isn’t God near?”
    But if I’d look, He’s right at my side.
    And with His strong, supporting hand,
    He’ll lead me through, my Merciful Guide.

And when, in time, our hope draws near,
    And it’s the time for us to arise,
    We’ll find everlasting peace and joy,
    As we join our Savior in the skies.

• Minnie says:

I, for one, look for peace in my life,
      Serenity – a calmness of mind.
      I find this peace from believing
      The world’s events are by God’s design.

Though I don’t know the details of His plans,
      I know that His plans are for my good,
      Plans to let me grow into His ways,
      Plans to guide me to walk where I should.

Amen!

Thank you, BC.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

BakoCarl,
      Your poem is so beautiful.
      Thank You for expanding on that scripture.

I already know what God’s Will is for you–your poems you share with us.
      Thru your poems, you have touched and blessed many Treepers.
      The poems envelopes us and calms us down.

May the Lord always bless you with peace, joy, and hope thru His Son.—always.
      Again, thank you for your ministry of writing poems.

5. Garrison Hall says:

It’s the last set and time for the last song . . .

6. Donna in Oregon says:

Irish Blessing

I wish you not a path devoid of clouds,
    Nor a life on a bed or roses.
    Nor, that you might never need regret,
    Nor that you should never feel pain.

No, this is not my wish for you. My wish for you is:
    That you might be brave in times of trial
    When other’s lay crosses upon your shoulders.
    When mountains must be climbed and chasms crossed,
    When hope scarce shines through.
    When every gift God gave you might grow along with you,
    And let you give the gift of joy to all who care for you.

That you might always have a friend who is worth that name.
    Whom you can trust.
    And hope will be, in times of sadness,
    Who will defy the storms of life by your side.

One more wish for you:
    That in every hour of joy and pain, you may be close to God.
    This is my wish for you and those who are close to you.
    This is my hope for you, now and forever.

7. Grandma Covfefe says:

Dear Treepers,
    May you all have a blessed Sunday–

“But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy; And may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You.” Ps 5:11

(Pssst! President Trump got this, not to worry today.)

8. USA loves Melania says:

9. Lucille says:

Jerome Hines sang at The Met for 41 years…the greatest operatic bass America produced. Amazingly enough, he was also a mathematician and chemist! A devout Christian, Hines affiliated with The Salvation Army. He died at age 82 in 2003.

Jerome Hines – “Why do the nations?” (THE MESSIAH) Based upon Psalm 2:1-2:
    “Why do the nations so furiously rage together,
    and why do the people imagine a vain thing?
    The kings of the earth rise up,
    and the rulers take counsel together against the Lord,
    and against His Anointed.”

If you’d like to hear him at vocal practice when he began operatic training, listen to this…a little bit flat at the end…but he was only 17!

10. smiley says:

there are a lot of people suffering right now from the devastating aftermaths of Irma and Maria.

unspeakable suffering, sorrow and loss, and total destruction, all around them.

mass hysteria, as they try to cope…hopeless and lost…and utterly homeless.

11. Janie M. says:

Well, just got home from Wally world about 15 mins ago (had to get a mouse pad) … yeah, I’m a night owl and like shopping in the middle of the night. While I was standing near the entrance/exit doors (checking out some chocolate iced doughnuts calling my name), a thin, med. height black man walked up to me and said he just got out of the hospital (@ 2:30 a.m. CDT?), showed me his hospital wrist band, and said he needed a ride, could I give him one?

I glanced over at the Walmart employee, standing at the main station in the self check-out section and caught her eye. She had seen the man enter the store and walked over to where he and I were standing. I told her of his request and she told him, “she’s busy shopping and can’t help you.” I asked him where he was going to stay since it was so late. He informed me had had a place to go but needed a ride. He then scurried away toward the back of the store. I was going to check out but was concerned he would return and follow me out to my car. One of the male night supervisors waited and then walked me to my car after I made my purchases. I told him I felt badly for the man, he could have been harmless but… he agreed. This was a first for me. Got home, told my son the story and he said he probably would have given him a ride. Don’t know what to think about that statement. 😆

• amwick says:

Situational awareness and follow your gut instinct. Maybe there was an angel on your shoulder at that time. Don’t feel bad. I am willing to bet, without even knowing you, that you are a kind and generous person. Just the fact that you are pondering the whole incident proves it to me. This was an “off” situation, especially for a single woman…. A guy (like your son) just doesn’t face those kind of situations because they are guys, and not targets. Again, don’t feel bad. ‘K?

• Janie M. says:

Thank you, amwick. Men most definitely have a size and weight advantage over us. And I suppose my son is fearless for that very reason. I live in a semi-rural (lots of farms) college town, only 42,000+ people… the sidewalks do roll up @ around 9 p.m. It is easy to get complacent about safety and let your guard down when you live in such a town – don’t need to lock your car doors, etc. My son chides me on occasion when I express safety concerns.

• allhail2 says:

Total set up. You did the right thing by giving the ride. That little scam complete with “hospital” bracelets has been around a while. If he needed a ride, how did he get to the store? I’ve had that story tried on me and I’m a decent sized guy.

20-25 years ago if someone was “Homeless, needs help, God bless,” they probably were. Now it’s turned into a cottage industry and because of that, I trust none of them or their stories and I’ve heard some doozies. There’s a guy that works the Lowes driveway exit near me. I caught him in a pic sneaking a peak at his smart phone that was in his back pack. I totally cash blocked him the next day. Posted a sign about 50 ft before him that read, “I have cash, ask me about my hidden I Phone.”

• booger71 says:

Who gave the man a ride to Walmart? Why couldn’t that person take him home. You did the right thing. I would have not given him a ride and I am a guy. I don’t pick up hitchhikers either.

• Well, there is something to consider here,

If he showed you his wrist band, you could easily have determined if the hospital was nearby to the Walmart store you were at shopping. If it wasn’t nearby, the first thing to ask would be “How did you get here?” If the hospital was close, my first question would have been;”Why didn’t the hospital call someone who could come and get you?”. Also, was he discharged from the emergency room? Because I don’t know too many hospitals that discharge their inpatients during the middle of the night.

• Janie M. says:

Mark, I didn’t get close enough to read the bracelet. We have a 94 bed hospital in town and believe it is 4-5 miles (I’m bad at guessing mileage) away from Walmart. He could have walked from their ER (if that is where he actually was) to the store.

• Yeah, that’s my point. Within that 4-5 mile walk is most likely a 24 hour convenience store (or two) where he could have easily gotten some kind of help as well, like asking to borrow the phone to call for a pickup. I think it was a good thing that you didn’t help out on this one.

• Janie M. says:

Mark, when I inquired about where he was going to stay, I had also asked, “Don’t you have any relatives?” He didn’t answer.

• Oh yeah! Big warning sign. REALLY GLAD you didn’t help this person out.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

Lots of red flags would have rung for me–

*How did he get to Walmart?
              *I’ve never heard of hospital releasing patient in middle of night.
              *Hospitals always asked their soon-to-be-released-patients if they have a ride home. If not then the hospitals arrange for taxi services.
              *If he really was released from hospital and was a good guy, then he wouldn’t have hestitated to show your his bracelet or go wandering around for 4-5 miles in the middle of the night. I would have waited in the hospital lobby til daybreak before walking out.
              *Guess what is the first thing all the men in my big family does when they walked thru the doorway out the hospital?– they ripped the bracelet off. They wouldn’t be caught dead with a hospital bracelet–that male ego.
              *He wouldn’t give you his home address.
              *He wouldn’t answered your very important questions.
              *He left and went to the back of store? that’s scary.

Any one of those things would have triggered a major red flag for me. The next thing I would say is I’m not able to give him a ride but I would be happy to find someone to call the police for him, so the police could take him home. It would be interesting to see how he would respond to that.

You are brave to go out at that hour of the night. We are not in the habit of doing it. Night people’s values are very different from the people who prefer to be within the sunlight.

This is my take: it was a set-up. something is way off. He was planning to harm you in your car and steal your car. You did the right thing. Your guilt should never interfere with your gutty common sense. Walmart was excellent in responding to him and to you. Think twice about going out at night anymore. Your son should rethink how to react to strangers late at night. I don’t mean to scare you, but you were fortunate you got home safely. I would keep my home doors locked for now. God was with you that night.
              God Bless Ypu.

• Janie M. says:

Grandma C, you had mentioned calling the police, so, this evening while I was doing some kitchen chores it dawned on me he possibly could have just left the hospital (yes, even at 2:30 a.m. or thereabouts) because he walked out (escaped) after the police had brought him there for whatever reason – odd behavior reported by a relative, etc.,/observation by the police or hospital was going to do blood workup or whatever. No psych ward in our hospital. They closed it in 2009 (per an article I read)… not enough patients and difficulty hiring qualified staff. I know, wild speculation but sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I didn’t read his wrist band because I kept at least 4 ft. of distance between us, just in case. When he approached me and made his request, he raised up his forearm and twisted his hand back and forth to show me he had one.

When I go to Walmart in the late evenings, it’s usually closer to 11. I hate going there during the day (shoppers and mobility carts jamming up aisles – drives me nuts). This time I desperately needed a mouse pad so I went with the moment.

• andeclain says:

I was listening to an Irish radio station the other day and people were phoning in with similar stories, right down to the hospital wrist band, although the scammers there were looking for bus fare back to some far distant rural home.

• Minnie says:

Janie, you did good.

Unsettling to say the least and I don’t know if I would be alert enough to handle that situation in the wee hours but I take a lesson from you.

My question, regardless of why he was there, is how was he there?

Was he truly discharged (no hospital I know permits a patient, even an ER patient) to walk out without a ride home, or had he walked out?

The store may have considered phoning the hospital to determine if they were missing a patient.

Again, for me, often clarity of thought only comes after the fact.

Thanks for the heads up, I will share your experience with others.

• Similar scam happened to wife Thursday 5 pm broad day lite. Black dude walks up to wife in driveway says I was in accident around the corner can I use your phone. She gets cell phone dials 911, here you can talk to them. He runs / walks very fast around the corner gone by the time the police arrive.

• Lucille says:

Janie, as harsh as it may sound, such scam artists rely on the goodhearted nature of most Americans knowing that taking advantage may be an easy task. They present a sad story and hope a person falls for it. Unfortunately, black Americans today also rely on “white guilt” to get through to a mark.

There is NEVER a reason for any male, no matter his race, to ask a lone woman for assistance. I go under the assumption it is always a scam.

In the past I created and carried in my purse a bunch of folded flyers which listed all the organizations, both private and governmental, which assist those in need in my city. The times I handed those flyers out were few, but the occasional truly thankful person make it all worthwhile.

12. smiley says:

in Germany…

“German Election 2017 : Polls Open Amid Fears Over Surge Of Far-Right AfD ”

24 Sept 2017

13. Dora says:

Gillis Mostaert – Village Fair (1590)

14. smiley says:

Silence

oil/linen

(no date)

Marc Hanson ~ American (b. 1955) ~ Contemporary ~ plein air, Impressionism ~ Landscapes

more fine work, here..

🙂

15. Dora says:

Warning: number 2 is Michelle Obama.

====

10 First Ladies That Have Outshined Their Husbands

16. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels! Are we ready for some football???

17. blognificentbee says:

18. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”
    Psalms 51:12 (KJV)

19. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

20. duchess01 says:

Shut De Do- Randy Stonehill (Lyrics)

21. duchess01 says:

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 2017
    Jesus Christ’s Shed Blood Ends Racism To Those Who Choose Him

22. Good morning! Repost from the Trump thread.

If you’re tired of these unappreciative spoiled sport brats, sign my petition and share on your social media!

Show the NFL they aren’t worthy!

23. smiley says:

GERMANY elections, live updates…

looking favorable for far-right AfD to be entering Parliament, so they say…a first.

24. smiley says:

auscitizenmom !

where are you ??

been looking everywhere for you..

R U OK ?

25. PDQ says:

Cultural Enrichment….yummy…

Curry house chef prepared food after wiping his bottom with his bare hands because he doesn’t use toilet paper for ‘cultural reasons’

• czarowniczy says:

I did a lot of details for food outlets while I was with the SO. Even though we got free food there were ones I wouldn’t eat at, you’d be surprised how many ‘cut corners’ in order to get the good out as fast as possible as customer turnover is key. I try not to think about that now as I no longer have access to the kitchens so that I can see what unsanitary issues are there. Willful suspension of kitchen disbelief.

26. golsono says:

Hi treepers. i am a regular reader, occasional comments. Please read the pre-amble to this thread : Thine is the Kingdom. Political comments have enough threads to have your say. Blessings to all 🙂

27. czarowniczy says:

Well, sports fans, while the MSM has been distracting us with North Korea it appears Iran has successfully fired its longer-range Khorramshahr MIRV missile. Operant word here is MIRV though the 1200 mile range is significant the MIRV capability is primary.
    Interplay in missile and nuke development between NK and Iran has long been (cough, cough, knock on the desk) suspected. The MIRV capacity demonstrated on the video suggests that Iran may have developed the capability to miniaturize their warhead sufficiently to MIRV them and, if so, might Iran trade miniaturization technology for NK’s help in testing them…last thing Iran wants is to do a successful underground test and have Israel respond by nuking their nuke facilities, especially as Israel now has US F-35s thst should be able to avoid much of the air defense Russia provided.
    So will Kim and the Ayatollahs get together to swap MIRV, miniaturization and long range missile developments to threaten their joint enemy? Those US subs that track certain ships in and out of NK ports are gonna be busy and I’d expect to see the Israeli navy repositioning some of those ‘special’ dolphin subs on Arabian Sea cruises soon.
    Here we are nine months into the Trump term and the seeds the POtuS planted are starting to pop.

• Janie M. says:

czarowniczy, hopefully, I am remembering this incident correctly – about 4 or so years ago, Israel had fighter jets going into Iran to shoot missiles into one of their major nuclear facilities built into a mountain. When the Israel pilots entered Iranian air space, US fighter pilots surrounded them and threatened to shoot them down if they didn’t leave. I was shocked.. with friends like this, who needs enemies?!!

• czarowniczy says:

Don’t recall that one but during Desert Storm the Israelis said that if Saddam fired chemical or biological SCUDS at them they’d fly over and bomb his ass. US refused to allow Israel to overfly any airspace the US was using and it came close to the US threatening to shoot down IAF craft while Israel hinted it would take any measures necessary. Big part of the reason the US sent those advanced anti-missile systems with US crews to Israel.
        Those new F-35s wil be tinkered with by the IAF. When the US gave the IAF its old F-4s, which we considered obsolete, the IAF made some 400 changes to them and kept them operational and a threat to Arab MIGs for years. Those F-35s being modified by Israelis and flown by Israeli pilots are a game changer.

• czarowniczy says:

Slowly coming back to me though it would be a toss up if the US pilots would have obeyed…even if the IAF had gone ahead. Has Obama done so Chuck Schumer may have written him a stern note addressing his displeasure.

• Janie M. says:

Ever since then I have wondered if the Israelis could have inflicted some heavy damage on Iran’s nuclear dreams had it been able to execute all the missions they felt were necessary. We’ll never know, will we? O’ and Scmuckie are both a waste of flesh.

• czarowniczy says:

Israel’s short modern history has been amazing. They hit the ground running afterbthe immediate attempt at their total destruction as a people. They’ve managed to create a homegrown weapons industry that is up there with the US’s and Russia’s. They have a military and intelligence system that is top notch, better than ours in some areas. They’ve survived, until they could develop their own, by taking secondhand weapons and modifying them face and defeat Arab attackers.
                Let’s not forget that the Nazi strempts to destroy the Jews of the world continued long after the end of WWII. A long list of the Nazi military and civilian leaders who’d dedicated their lives to destroying Europe’s Jews escaped to the Mideast, primarily Egypt, and linked up with Moslem military and political forces there who were dedicated to cleansing the Jews from the Mideast in general, Palestine in particular. These people, and there was a loooooong list of them, had access to likeminded people and the political and military resources necessary to continue the Holocaust.
                From Hitler’s initial conspiracy with the Grand Mufti to Egypt’s postwar conspiracy with the dregs of the Final Solution crew the mess the Germans created had been biting Israel, the US and now Europe in the ass. Israel has succesfully resisted it, the US is sirt of schlepping thru and success isn’t guaranteed and Europe’s starting to go under. History has teeth.

• Janie M. says:

Israel is the rose blooming in the desert. The list of Nobel Prize laureates (and the world benefits) who are Jewish in descent is impressive when you consider the ratio of the Jewish winners in contrast to their population percentile. From Wiki: “Nobel Prizes have been awarded to 881 individuals,[2] of whom 197 – 22.4% – were Jewish or people of Jewish descent,[Note 1] although Jews and people of Jewish descent comprise less than 0.2% of the world’s population.” It is well known Hitler conspired with the Grand Mufti to eradicate the Jews. They have persevered in the face of horrific adversity. The Holocaust deniers turn my stomach as do comments at different sites where, without fail, someone has to post a derogatory comment blaming the Jews for all the ills of the world and then they pile on. I am not saying they are faultless in some incidences (I am not there so I can’t claim knowledge of any of the FACTS) but they are not the problem.

And despite the continual attacks from the PLO/Fatah/Hamas, they have treated the Palestinian civilians humanely, providing well-paying jobs and rendering medical treatment (to include life-saving surgeries performed on their children). They are even permitted to serve in the Knesset, its legislative body. A few years ago, remember when Israel did a retaliatory strike in Gaza, Hamas received funding from many sympathizers in the Arab world, allegedly to rebuild the infrastructure which had been destroyed. Of course, it didn’t bother to do so for the peons, passing the money on to the rest of their rats/compadres. I recall reading a story after the aforementioned retaliatory strike about a young Palestinian man who snuck over to Israel and begged them to imprison him because they would have treated him more humanely providing shelter, food, etc. He said his life would have been far better than had he remained at home. How sad is that?

28. Howie says:

Halp!! I have an old 1993 pickup that has factory installed safety tame around the side trying to get off. Can’t find a solvent for the darned glue. Gas nor alcohol nor acetone works. Any ideas?

29. Dora says:

30. I’m probably one of the last people to jump on board for ditching pro sports – mainly the NFL – but I’ve had enough. I’m a Steelers fan so naturally the NFL has been in decline since they ejected James Harrison for legal hits since 2010.

Trump was right to call out Curry and pro sports for their lack of appreciation & respect for our flag. The flag represents the country and is the single biggest individual object that epitomizes our country. It’s the object every American should rally behind. Instead ungrateful SOBs who wamt ti destroy the countru want to use the flag as a tool for division.

Pro players should show respect to the one symbol that is bigger than any American or American organization, and call to rally behind our flag. I’m tired of the bull sh*t. I’m done with the Steelers and pro sports.

31. andeclain says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

And, Lord, we pray for all the people who have been affected by the earthquakes and hurricanes.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen.