Sunday (Day #7) was mostly a day of church, fellowship, thankfulness and recharging.  There’s still so much to be done.  We were also able to get 5 new generators delivered to a few homes in inland Lee and Collier counties along with five window AC units. (Yea, Home Depot.)  We also found a great auto-shop allowing us to use a bay, lift and tools to put some much needed maintenance time into our two primary high access trucks which have taken a serious pounding for a week.

Today (Day #8), we’re working on oil changes and repairs to some transmission and undercarriage (linkage) work before heading back in to eastern Lee and Collier counties.

♦ Flooded roads remain an issue. ♦ The hurricane curfew has been lifted.  ♦ Schools remain closed.

♦ The primary power issues are in Monroe county (FL Keys), Collier county (Naples, Marco Island), and Lee county (Lehigh, Fort Myers) areas. –SEE HERE–  Obviously the recovery efforts in Monroe county are going to be months long, if not years.  In Southwest Florida (Collier, Lee) hopefully the power can be returned to the most seriously affected within two weeks.

Lehigh Acres (eastern Lee County) and Golden Gate (eastern Collier county, Naples) are where most of the blue-collar working class live.  Unfortunately those areas also got the worst part of the storm.  The inland power infrastructure was seriously damaged by the eye-wall winds of Hurricane Irma.  That’s where we’ve been focusing on trying to do what we can.  These folks have to keep working regardless of how much damage and chaos personally surrounds them.

When you see stats on power accounts, remember each account is roughly 3+ people (household). 70k accounts in Collier county = 200+ thousand people. 66k accounts in Lee county equals about the same.   Utility crews from all over are working diligently to get the grid back in functioning condition, unfortunately the stress of a week without power is leading to frustration, frayed nerves and some reports of poor personal conduct.

“The work in the hard-hit areas of Lehigh Acres to fix the main circuit feeders so that trucks can begin to work in the neighborhoods has been ongoing and in many parts requires rebuilding and not just repairing. Damage to the system serving individual neighborhoods is extensive and will take time also. Most customers can expect to have power restored by September 22. There will be some locations that will need even more extensive repairs and could take longer.

“Crews also continued to work in the vast area of Immokalee with a goal of bringing more and more of the businesses back online so they can assist customers there, many of who lost everything. Most customers can expect to have power restored by September 22.

“Most customers in other areas less-impacted, such as Everglades City, Cape Coral, Marco Island, Pine Island, Sanibel/Captiva, North Fort Myers, and surrounding areas will have power restored by the evening of September 19.” (local link)

♦ Fuel is essentially back to normal in most areas outside the immediate eye-wall impact zone where electrical power is still unavailable.  Thousands of people running on generators simply increases the demand for fuel.   Port Everglades, Port Canaveral, Port of Jacksonville, and Port of Tampa are actively accepting fuel. The Florida Highway Patrol has troopers dedicated to escorting fuel resupply trucks as needed.  Many of those inbound shipments head south into the impact zone.

From Governor Rick Scott:

• The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is encouraging individuals and families to be alert for false rumors, scams, identity theft, and fraud. For resources on how to protect yourself and your loves ones from disaster fraud, visit https://www.fema.gov/hurricane-irma-rumor-control or call the @FEMA Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721.
  • Residents who sustained losses in the declared counties can apply for assistance by registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. Residents who suffered damages from the storm may register now, and if their county is later included in the declaration, the application will be processed automatically.
  • Residents are also encouraged to download the FEMA App to begin the registration process. Simply click on Disaster Resources.
  • If you do not have access to the internet, you may register by calling 1-800-621-3362 (FEMA) or 1-800-462-7585 (TTY); if you use 711 Relay or Video Relay Service call 1-800-621-3362.
  • The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.
  • The first FEMA Disaster Recovery Center has opened in St. Augustine, and more will open in affected communities where survivors can apply for assistance and meet face-to-face with recovery specialists.
    • To find the nearest Disaster Recovery Center visit www.fema.gov/DRC, use the FEMA App or text DRC and your Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA).
  • FEMA’s Operation Blue Roof Program is now available to eligible homeowners impacted by Hurricane Irma. Operation Blue Roof provides a temporary covering of blue plastic sheeting to help reduce further damage to property until permanent repairs can be made. For more information, click HERE.
  • Outreach teams from FEMA are canvassing Florida communities affected by Hurricane Irma. The teams are working in federally designated counties to help residents register for disaster assistance and to quickly identify and address immediate and emerging needs. The teams can also provide application updates and referrals to additional community resources for remaining needs. For more information, click HERE.
  • In response to Hurricane Irma, Lyft is donating $100,000 to a “Relief Rides” program helping those in need get to/from hospitals and shelters after the hurricane, as well as partnering with Team Rubicon to help their volunteers. Call (754) 900-5949 to request a ride. If you are associated with a hospital, shelter, or local government, please email florida@lyft.com so that Lyft can get you access to a pre-funded account to help those in need. Click here for information on how partners can use Lyft’s Concierge Service to request rides for those in need and who may not have access to a smartphone.
  • Uber is donating $400,000 of rides, food and relief to families and communities affected as well as first responders. Uber is helping provide free rides across the state to Floridians in need. Call the toll-free number 844-800-9425 to request a ride. Local governments, nonprofits, and organizations with an immediate need can email IrmaRelief@uber.com.
  • 15 AmeriCorps members with Volunteer Florida grantee City of Orlando deployed to the Orange County EOC to assist 350 students in need
  • 14 AmeriCorps member with Volunteer Florida grantee Polk Reads deployed to the Polk County Volunteer Reception Center to serve Floridians in Central Florida
  • In Central Florida, AmeriCorps members from the Heart of Florida United Way volunteered at the 211 Crisis Hotline, answering over 300 calls
  • Volunteer Florida Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) of the Villages have served over 300 people in two shelters. In conjunction with the Villages Public Safety Department, 26 CERT members checked on more than 356 homes on 15 streets.
  • In Collier County, CERT teams walked door to door and passed out water and tarps and did wellness checks. They are also assisting with POD (Point of Distribution) in an effort to get essentials items into the community.
  • In what is the largest response in the history of the Florida Division, the Salvation Army currently has field kitchens located in Ft. Myers, Naples, Miami, northeast Florida, Sebring and Marathon with the capacity to produce 10,000-20,000 meals each. Additionally, 61 Mobile Canteens with the capacity to prepare 1,500 meals a day are currently serving hot meals across the state.
  • To date, The Salvation Army Florida Division has prepared and distributed 482,000 meals, drinks, and snacks, and have made 5,000 emotional and spiritual comfort contacts with the support of more than 8,000 volunteer hours.
  • To date, more than 34,392 meals have been delivered through the Red Cross.
  • 160 Red Cross Emergency Response Vehicles are surveying impacted areas in the Keys distributing food to community members.  (read more)

This entry was posted in FEMA, Hurricane Irma, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

214 Responses to Hurricane Irma Recovery Day #7 and Day #8 – Approximately 500,000 Remain Without Power…

1. TreeClimber says:

How are you doing, Sundance? How’s your family?

• sundance says:

This experience has changed me. Perhaps it’s just me getting older, but this experience has made my outlook much wider, and my faith much deeper.

• Grandma Covfefe says:

It did bring out the best of America.

Thank you for everythng you have done, including keeping us in the loop, Sundance. t
        Take care and don’t skip your rest–you deserve it.

May God Bless you today.

• TeaforAll says:

Sundance

Thank You for all that you have done for your fellow Floridians, and keeping us updated . I will contu to donate to Samaritan Purse and TCH. At the end of each day, I am sure you are exhausted and weary. It is that feeling ,you know that you have really helped another person in need. Words cannot express. Please take care of your self, we all need you. I am Blessed to be here at TCH.
        Prayers and love
        ‘Tea

• Fe says:

Your update from day 6 where you and AJ helped the man (Mike) with the pool cleaning business did much to deepen my faith. God works through people and it is amazing how perfectly He timed your interaction with Mike as he had his head bowed in prayer. God bless your heart SD. You truly have a heart of gold.

• wheatietoo says:

I’m so glad to hear that things are gradually getting better, Sundance.
        Thanks for the update.

Surviving natures fury can put a punctuation point in your life.
        I can imagine how it may be now in terms of…”Before Irma” and “After Irma”, in your life going forward.

I am just so grateful that you have survived it.
        Even though you haven’t dwelled on it…I’m sure that your starfish-chucking efforts have put you in dangers on a daily basis.

I’m also sure that your strength and generosity have touched many lives.
        May God watch over you and keep you safe, as you continue to deal with the aftermath.

We love you, Sundance.
        You’re in our prayers.

• usayes says:

By shining a light on the people of Arcadia, LaBelle and Immokalee, you have deepened my faith too – both in God and my fellow man. Many thanks.

• justfactsplz says:

Thank you Sundance for your relief work out there in the field that has reached so many in need. I pray for spiritual, mental, emotional, and physical strength for you as you minister to others in this capacity. Prayers also for your family. May God bless you. May God bless Florida. May God bless Texas. May God bless America and keep us strong.

2. LafnH2O says:

Thank You, Sundance!!

3. Paco Loco says:

SD,
    I’m curious if you have run across people who had solar electric systems and if they survived the hurricane.

• LafnH2O says:

Me, too!!!

Winners; Not so Much; Also ran…
      Lessons learned?!…

Know you’re busy!!

• sundance says:

Haven’t found a single one. Not to say there isn’t any, I just have not found one.

• jbrickley says:

Put away the idea that having solar panels would keep you going with power. The only way that would work is with a basement full of giant batteries being charged by the panels. Tesla is apparently working on the concept, but it’s not practical. There would likely be some damage to the system after a hurricane regardless and I would need to have it inspected to make sure it’s working and in a safe condition.

Most solar panel installations don’t really provide direct power, they typically feed the grid via a dual meter and you get a discount back from the power company. A whole lot of people using solar panels supplement the power grid reducing their heavy peak loads during the summer days. In New England, I have 15kw panels that is what they do. They produce power and feed it into the local power grid. The dual meters keep track of how much power goes into the grid and what is consumed by my home.

I leased the panels with VivintSolar so zero cost on installation. I pay them a low rate that is locked in on contract to increase no more than 3% per year. Power in New England is far from cheap and it’s likely to go up. I don’t have to pay all the tacked on fees either on the Vivint bill. The local power company credits me for the power I put back in the grid. So I get this monthly seasonal see-saw effect. In summer the solar bill runs high and I even have zero bill from the local power company or a credit they owe me. In winter the local power company is about half the summer bill and the solar bill is about $50/mo. Over the entire year, solar knocks the cost of electricity by about 1/3rd. It allows me to run central air conditioning in the summer without much worry of a high electric bill. If the power was knocked out where I am for an extended period of time and there were utility workers in the neighborhood, I would shut off my panels because it could hurt someone working on the lines. Besides, I leased the panels and I pay for the amount of electricity they produce so if it can’t feed into the grid and I have no Internet, then I will be charged at an estimated high rate by the solar company. So I would not only shut off the panels, I would have to contact Vivint Solar that the grid is down so I have powered down the panels. That way I don’t get charged by a computer estimating any usage.

Today, you can buy your own panels and have them installed so you do not have to pay a company like VivintSolar or SolarCity, etc. If you have good credit you can score a loan that would ultimately be cheaper and if you have the money to pay it off quickly. That way you just get the credit back from the local power company and you are not paying anyone for the power you produce. But you are going to need a company that can service it if it breaks, etc. Vivint will come and remove the panels and put them in storage for $500 so you can have your roof replaced, then they come back and re-install them. They are lightweight panels that click into place. If a hurricane came along and destroyed the system Vivint will replace it because it’s their property, I am only leasing it. I would likely have to wait up to a year if that happened. If I owned the system, I would need to have it included in the home owners insurance policy, etc.

• LafnH2O says:

Thank You, jbrickley!

Full Marks 🎩

‘Preciate Ya!

• Your Tour Guide says:

How big are your panels?
        Looked into solar heating our neighborhood pool 10 years ago, and it
        would have taken solar panels measuring about 6 x 100 plus feet to
        heat the 150,000 gallons in our big old pool. At a cost of 16 thousand.
        We passed.

• jbrickley says:

They are not large, perhaps 3′ x 6′. Thin plastic very light weight, installers were handling them like pieces of cardboard, passing them up the ladders to the guys on the roof. They click lock into mounts that don’t even drill holes in your roof. They lock into the shingles. Course a hurricane with 100+mph winds and my panels would end up in Oz. But they have survived two snow seasons. The entire system puts out about 15kw. Vivint asked to see as many previous local electric bills to determine my usage patterns as ideally, they want to match the output of the system so you don’t produce so much power that you end up paying more than the local electric bill. Seeing as you pay Vivint for the amount of power the panels generate (not how much you use).

As to heating a swimming pool? Well these are electro-voltaic cells that produce electricity directly. Heating a pool might be best serviced by piping water into panels and heating the water. I doubt electric heaters would get enough juice to heat a pool. A large buried propane tank would do much better and propane is inexpensive.

4. In honor of Sundance, AJ & SD’s CERT Team as well as all first responders & citizen responders.
    God love ya, God Bless ya, God keep y’all💖🇺🇸💖
    (Hat tip smiley who is gloriously back with us & who has me now addicted to this artist since she posted “Home” in Open Thread…welcome home smiley, to God be the Glory!💖🇺🇸💖

5. Snow White says:

Sundance, you’re an angel disguised as a human. God bless you and keep you safe. Can’t say thank you enough for what you’re doing. You are Jesus’ feet for those afflicted by the hurricane.

6. TwoLaine says:

Amazing work! The big city networks have moved on. I heard none of this on the AM News. Continuing the prayers for all of you.

7. Sedanka says:

I’m back on the part of the Trump Train that has electricity. Some of my neighbors are still in the dark, literally or figuratively.

This won’t be adequate thanks, but I want you to know how grateful I am for the prayers, the encouragement, the love and care from this site and especially the Treeper who literally showed up at my door to help (and won’t let me thank him by name publicly!).

Still too punchy to get into the meaty Trump discussions, but I’ll try to soon. Honestly I’m having trouble believing I’m still alive, I was so sure it was the end. (And now we’re watching Maria…….ugh.)

8. AZRoadRunner says:

Thanks for the posting — glad to see that some progress is being made!

9. georgiafl says:

Right now it looks like Florida and the US east coast, unlike the islands, will be spared a direct hit by Hurricanes José and Maria.

10. Dixie says:

It is very heartening to learn there are so many people and organizations helping.

Perhaps before long, Sundance will be able to recover from his efforts to help. Although I know he is driven by the goodness in his own heart, he still deserves a rest. Makes me feel guilty about not doing more myself even though I’d just be in the way.

So I’ll have to be satisfied with doing what I can which is to donate to the efforts of others. Thanks for the update, Sundance. Hope you’ll be able to return to normal someday soon.

11. CleanHouseinDC says:

Sundance, you are what you preach. Bless you.

A question for you- why aren’t they setting up Mobile fuel depots locally. Seems the national guard and military all have mobile fuel requirements and mobile infrastructure. Why not leverage that in areas that have no power and won’t for a while to be able to support those with generation capacity. Seems that would also help a lot with accelerating the recovery. Park a tanker on side of road with a mobile pump truck or two and boom your in business. Despite power outage. Could always use old fashion imprintera for credit card transactions

• LafnH2O says:

CleanHouseinDC,

Been thinking about that, too.
      Hadn’t thought of most of what you have… 😊

Do have some experience with.. Gravity!!
      What do you think???…

Assuming Safety concerns can be adhered to and Security issues mitigated..

Stage the Tanker(s) at a somewhat “Elevated” position; “Safely” uphill of an approved Holding Tank(s).
      Let Gravity do the work!
      (Dispite power outage.)
      Good ole, Gravity. Rain or Shine. 😉

The smaller, more agile, “Support Assets” could draw from a “Known + -” Supply.
      A reliable supply.
      A defensible supply!

Meanwhile, (Escorted… Thank You!!) Tankers can come and go. Delivering “More or Less” …

• CleanhouseinDC says:

I don’t know if free flow is a good thing when it comes to fuel. I think you want a shutoff so it doesn’t continue to drain.

• Judith says:

I never thought about the credit/debit card angle when it comes to widespread power outages. Sundance should stress an emergency withdrawal of *cash* to his list of emergency preparedness instructions. A full tank of gas and extra gas for the generator was also invaluable, especially in this case.

12. MM says:

SUNDANCE is there anyway we can donate to your group of CERT responders?

• Dixie says:

MM, you can do what I did which is to give it to Sundance via this website. I trust him to use it where it is needed most.

• MM says:

Dixie for some reason I assumed the money donated to the website had to be used for the website. I will send an email to TCTH to see?
        These responders need all the help they can get.
        Read earlier FEMA would run out of money this week for Hurricane IRMA.

• Dixie says:

You might be right and I wouldn’t want to burden Sundance with more than he already has to deal with. I did this earlier in the Irma travesty and as far as I’m concerned, it’s okay either way. Since I donated to Salvation Army and Samaritan’s Purse, what I sent will still be used in the proper places so if Sundance had to keep it for this website, that’s okay too. After all, what would some of us do (especially me) without him and this website?

13. duchess01 says:

Reading through your LONG List of Contacts – makes my head spin – Monstrous Motivation – did they leave anyone or any agency out – I seriously doubt it! Nearly a half million meals served by the Salvation Army alone – God Bless them abundantly for their selfless efforts!

God has answered our prayers in ‘Quadruplicate’! While I understand there is still much to do to get to some semblance of normalcy – there is an effort beyond belief to accomplish just that!

God Bles You, Sundance – for all you do and all you are to those around you and the Treepers here!

God Bless all who are working long hours to serve and assist their fellow men/women!

What a HUGE Blessing you all are to those in need!

14. WeeWeed says:

To all you treeps in the affected areas – show some love to your “pole dancers” – the electrical crews trying to put y’all back together. In the hardest hit areas they’re in need of food/beverage/laundry services, and above all, compassion. They’re running into frayed nerves, naturally, but remember that they’re people, too – and need to eat.

• At first read I was “like, sayyyyy whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat…..ohhhhh, I get it! 😉 LOL!! Good one WeeWeed, and excellent advice!!

• smiley says:

you got that right, WeeWeed…

FPL (Florida Power & Light) have been on this, big time…and really up to the mammoth task, too (imo).

people might not realize…don’t blame them, terribly hot/humid= major stress and hurricane food is getting really old by now…but I think they have to restore power in smaller increments so as not to overwhelm the grid when/if too many people turn electric back on, all at once, since the power outage is so extensive & widespread…so it might seem odd if, say, a street less than a mile from you has power but you don’t…that could be the reason.

need the patience of JOB to endure the aftermath.

• WeeWeed says:

SO good to see you, Smiles! We missed you! Yeah, the electrical guys are running into some real hell, according to the Cajun Navy and other sources – no power means everything’s closed – and the “publick” they’re running into is none too friendly nor helpful.

• smiley says:

thanks, WW….just so much awful STRESS and people are worn out and losing patience as the initial fear-of-the- storm shock wears off and the frustration & fatigue set in.

so many can not afford generators and are in such dire straits…and hell conditions foment hell behavior…in the jungle heat/humidity…garbage piling up…etc etc.

the aftermath of something this bad has its own particular type of misery.

sometimes it’s mind over matter, to get you thru it.

• maiingankwe says:

And our Faith.

I believe people who believe and have Faith in our Creator are a bit more patient, thankful as well as more helpful.

• Dixie says:

You’ll get through it…..we did. It was a long time ago. We, too, were 5 days without power, no generator, trees and limbs down everywhere, hot, tropical hot because that air a hurricane from Africa brings is hot and stinky. Everything in the house was damp and moist, including the bed – yuk. I think I slept standing up.

I believe the one I’m talking about was Bonnie but see, already I don’t remember the name of that nasty storm. Water was halfway up the street in front of our house from the marina on the intra-coastal waterway.

There was no help from Fema then. Everybody was on their own. But you will get through it just like we did…..and you will be a lot smarter about hurricanes. Glad you evacuated though. I would too if I was starring down the barrel of a cat 4.

• Judith says:

I remember all the out of towners sleeping inside their utility trucks. I’m sure they would appreciate a little sustenance from the neighbors, too! After a week without power, when half our neighborhood was still out, we knocked on the window of an out-of-state truck and woke up the startled driver. He had our power back on that same day. These workers are angels! Take good care of them!

15. Ziiggii says:

just keep them eyes open mate!

16. georgiafl says:

DOJ Task Forces established in affected areas to combat fraud.

17. Jeff says:

Now that things are beginning to get back to some semblance of ” normal ” I”m wondering how much frustration and ” anxiety violence ” can be contributed to the government GAS CAN !!

• georgiafl says:

Great hack – BUT – BE SURE TO get any loose plastic drill filings out of the can before filling with gas or filter the first can of gas with a sieve or put a filter screen washer on the inside of the nozzle.

• Texian says:

That is what gubmint does – makes things worse. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I had to buy a couple of these “new” contraptions that simply do not work. I now spill much more gas into the environment than if I had a conventional nozzle with a simple snap close cap. I don’t even put the damn “nozzle” on. I tilt the can, aim and hope for the best.. gas spills everywhere.

• lizzieintexas says:

I have ordered on of these to solve my gas storage issue. Cost about the same as equal gas cans for the capacity.

• Badseed says:

Heads up on the spout kits from TSC @ $10-!4. You can buy just the vent caps on e-bay, 20 caps for $6.99/free shipping, made in USA. I believe that’s all you really need to make a can work like they used to before EPA/CARB got involved. These are e-bay item #332290700381. Be sure to use a “1/2″paddle bit” to drill the hole, a twist bit will end up with an out of round hole. Hope this helps save some money and grief in dealing with these stupid new cans.

• Badseed says:

Don’t know what happened but I just posted about buying just the vent caps, made in USA, 20/$6.99, ebay item #332290700381, be sure to use a paddle bit to get a clean round hole, 1/2″ dia. Hope this saves ya’ll some money and grief dealing with these new cans.

18. Joel says:

If you need a tarp that will last years, not months, go to billboardtarps.com. I have one covering my horse’s sawdust pile for 10 years and still good. Low priced also, because they came off billboards after being used for a few months.

19. nor'easter says:

Please be careful, and warn others to the unseen hazards created by this disaster.
    Personal hygiene, personal protective equipment (PPE), and first aid for even minor injuries are paramount.

20. kinthenorthwest says:

Wow–this is what is so crazy. Our country needs the resources so many politicians are spending on DACAers versus helping out our citizens.
    Comes a time when you have to say I can’t give anymore, I need to get my house in order first.
    Oregon, Washington & California have fires everywhere, yet the governors of these states are spending the states resources on suing Trump on DACA. At the same time all 3 of these states are trying to raise even more taxes on their citizens.
    I do believe that at least the states hit by the hurricanes are not wasting resources on defending DACAers.
    The American politicians need to start working for America & Americans instead of other countries and Non-Americans/Criminals.

• andyocoregon says:

The governors of the three western states are all loony liberals. The Governor of Oregon, Kate Brown, is a self admitted liberal bi-sexual and she’s ruining this state. She recently signed a gun grabber bill into law that will allow police to confiscate all guns from those who someone claims to be a threat to others, with no hearing or trial required. It was passed under the guise of being a remedy for gun suicides, but it’s much more broad than that and will be abused, no doubt.

• kinthenorthwest says:

She better not try this with Eastern Oregon..I would say that way over 80% would have to have their guns pried from their cold dead hands.

• FrenchNail says:

If you still have any question about the safety of an armed citizenry, look no further than what is going on in Saint Martin right now. The French side is a complete gang zone. Gangs of thugs armed with machetes and knifes are racketeering anybody they can forcing people to surrender their luggage and all their possessions on their way to the planes if they want to leave. The island has been totally devastated (they got hit by Irma when it was a cat 5) and the French gov had been completely MIA. Macron has been lying constantly on TV to excuse the situation. So lawlessness has settled in big time. French are not allowed to have guns so thugs are now running the show there. The Dutch side (the island is divided in two nations) is having none of that, and now French residents are trying to sneak in the Dutch side for safety.

• CleanhouseinDC says:

Have to feed red meat to the masses.

• Judith says:

Vote incumbents out until they start to listen to us. Right now none of them are.

21. James W Crawford says:

Watching the after effects of this hurricane has inspired me to reconsider my opinion regarding solar power. I am and remain a hertic who refuses to bow down at the alter of Global Warming Theology. The fact that the Pope himself has issued an edict on the issue does not persuade me, but I was raised Baptist.

Because of my atheism on the new State religion, I do not support “renewable” energy sources just because they are politically correct. For the most part, wind and solar are a boondoggle. The windfarms that have destroyed the asthetics of the Columbia River Gorge are not only an expensive boondoggle, their wildly erratic power producting is actually damaging the hydroelectric turbines and generators that are the backbone of the Pacific Northwest power system. Solar is generally a joke West of the cascades.

This being said, i now see a huge benefit to having solar power panels on or at homes. When equipped with proper shutters, they should be able to ride out a hurricane. Once the storm has passed, the home solar panels can provide power for essentials such as refrigeration, cooking and perhaps minimal air conditioning when it is needed most.

The advantage of solar over a home generator is that the solar can power your house without needing gasoline or diesel which can be difficult or impossible to find when it is needed most. If you do not need gas to fuel your generator, you may not need gas to fuel your car to go search for gas.

One final thought. The electric cars and plug in hybrids can function as home generators. If you have enough solar capacity to recharge your car, you have a certain amout of independance for transportation.

22. Grandma Covfefe says:

Sundance, What happened in Florida Keys that cause you to say: “Obviously the recovery efforts in Monroe county are going to be months long, if not years.” ?

Is it the power lines?, bridges? Highway 1?

• Dixie says:

Hope Sundance won’t mind that I answer for him….Trash and problems with water pressure and water lines, electricity. The trash consists of refrigerators, washers, dryers, construction materials, ice machines, boats turned every which way, houses turned over or otherwise completely destroyed, everything you can imagine. The Keys were destroyed.
      As already mentioned, I’ve been watching the weather channel and they have concentrated on showing what’s going on in the Keys.

• Laura says:

Maybe EVERYTHING since it took a direct hit? I dunno!

23. This song explains SD to a tee, helping others, always there for everyone…

…however brother, never forget WE Treepers have got your six too! Call out and it is done!
    We love you, and as duchess01 says, God Bless you Real Good!

24. Some Old Guy says:

I live in California and have an old generator I’m not positive still works (it’s been 10 years plus since last used). Is there a program or charity to whom in-kind donations could be made hopefully to help hurricane survivors?

25. Southern Son says:

Endeavor to Persevere, Sundance.
    Your self motivated call of Duty to Serve, is both Honorable and Inspiring.
    You Sir, are Truely, an American Patriot!
    SALUTE!!

Press ON!

26. tonyE says:

In Spain they have a saying:

“Jose, Maria y Jesus”

In this case after, Irma, if Jose and Maria come by we’re gonna be using the name “Jesus” A LOT.

Good job Sundance… sounds like life is giving you all lemons, but you are good at making lemonade.

27. Pam says:

Just in case you have a generator that hasn’t been used in a while and won’t start, this might help.

28. Pam says:

I know it isn’t much, but I sent a small donation to Samaritan’s Purse last week for the recovery efforts. Glad to see so many of you slowly but surely making your may back here. May God continue to bless Sundance and all those that were affected.

29. I won’t lie, not having power for a few days wasn’t easy but I saw some people freak out here in Florida. They were beside themselves. They could not function without technology or something to do. I rather enjoyed it.

• Chris says:

heh heh Katica,that mean streak fuels your tenacity
      Glad to hear yet another Floridian made it thru OK!
      I do worry about the older folks who could really need that power for comfort though , Air cond.,making ice cubes for a cool drink, a fan, powering a well pump hot water heater/shower..
      We take modern conveniences for granted until their gone .

30. SUPy'all says:

I’m volunteering this week for Operation BBQ Relief. We’re staging in Estero. If anyone can help go to their website and register. Thanks y’all.

31. alliwantissometruth says:

You know, I’m sitting here reading this, & I’m thinking, something good & positive can come from even the worst of circumstances

For so many years now, all we hear from the media, our politicians & a certain segment of our society is how bad America is. We’re all racists. We’re an oppressive country who loves to discriminate & abuse minorities. We’re a nation of backward hillbillies. We’re inherently evil & don’t give a damn about anyone but our own kind

On & on it goes. An absolutely false narrative pounding the American people over & over again, coming from the only true haters, racists & radicals, the American left

Yet, in times of great tragedy & great need, the American spirit, the real American spirit, that runs through the veins of Americans like Sundance & millions upon millions of others, rises to the top & compels them to put aside their own needs & their own fears, & work day in & day out helping those in need regardless of color or creed

It’s not something they have to think about. It’s not something where the pro’s or cons decide. It’s simply a sense of duty stemming from the fact people need help

While the media & the radicals demean & insult the American people, the American people are too busy helping others to notice. While the radicals move on from the story & get back to their anti-America hate fest, real Americans are still in the danger zones putting the pieces back together

Catastrophes have a way of showing the reality of America & Americans. They bring the American spirit, which is in the majority of us but rarely shown in the media, to the forefront & remind us all about what & who we really are

We all have to remember we still vastly outnumber the radicals, & hopefully it’s times like these that show people that Americans are a righteous, noble, fair & compassionate people, & we’re still the best damn country in the world

So again, thank you Sundance & all the rest, for putting back the pieces, & showing that the American spirit has never gone away

• georgiafl says:

“Brutally long hours, dangerous working conditions, hot & humid weather, none of that deters real Americans from doing the right thing, from doing what real Americans have always done, looking out for others…”

THANK YOU to all the Power Company Linemen, Law Enforcement, First Responders, Citizens Emergency Response Team members (like Sundance) and many other groups and individual volunteers who have already given so much in TX, FL and the devastated Islands and will continue to give.

America is truly a wonderful place because of its people.

So sorry Obama and Michelle did not believe or participate in the miracle that is America, but instead chose to deride, divide and distance themselves from what is good about our country and its people and instead decided to encourage and celebrate thugs, thieves, traitors, terrorists and tyrants.

32. georgiafl says:

Hurricane Relief Benefit Song – ‘Til the Blue’, by Stephen Curtis Chapman – free with a gift of any amount to Samaritan’s Purse:

• georgiafl says:

Funds will ALL go to Samaritan’s Purse – and Samaritan’s Purse WILL GO even to the TWICE HIT Islands to help with clean up, rebuilding and just plain support to these devastated US Citizens.

33. daystarmin says:

Is it not great seeing many of our Treepers getting back to their perches? It is almost like an Old Fashion family reunion. That being said pass the leamonaid or some Southern Sweet tea will do. God bless the American can-do spirit. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

34. I am very happy to hear our Treepers from Florida …is everyone accounted for? Anyone missing?

35. pegm says:

Hi all, I don’t post very often, but read here constantly. I am so thankful that most if not all Florida treepers have checked in. Feel like I’ve been holding my breath for days waiting to see if all were alive and well. Sundance, your updates are amazing, as well as your exploits while helping your fellow man. From frustrating to funny, this site has shown what the best of America is all about. God bless you all, and may the recovery in Texas and Florida continue to show perseverance worthy of our forefathers. With this kind of can do spirit, how can we not MAGA!

36. woodstuff says:

A cousin from MN gave me a surprise visit today. He was traveling to Victoria, TX to help give aid to flood victims. He’s a fit looking 68 year old Nam vet. At a Mexican restaurant here in North TX, we enjoyed great fellowship and I got to know his heart. He is like sundance, and many others nationwide.

I offered to go with him, but he said I would have to apply and be registered. A church in Victoria will house the volunteers. My best vehicle’s engine just sent a big hole through the oil pan with a broken rod, so I can’t follow. I wish I could go.

I learned from him about the specific damages to homes in Victoria, which I had not studied. This is quite inland and I thought that it wouldn’t be hit as hard as the coastal areas. The devastation seems to be quite more wide-spread than I had thought. (tidbit of useless information) >A carpenter from Victoria taught me much when I was a carpenter’s helper back in the Ancient of Days.

37. LW says:

I live in East Lehigh Acres and we just got power back on. It was a rough week but we made it through, thank the Lord. We have roof damage and still waiting on an adjuster. Only thing we don’t have is internet.

38. Michael says:

If you have any prayers left St Croix, USVI is going to get smashed this evening by CAT 5 Maria.

Live for now STX https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q2CzQclKQc

Last night Maria destroyed Dominica and the Dominican’s are some some of the very nicest people I ever met down island.

39. jeans2nd says:

Part of fam is in LeHigh Acres. Odds are they are working couple three streets over from you (retired Am Steel drop forge hammer guy). Your work, help, and info is appreciated by not just we few here in Ohio, far more than you will ever know. Please be safe.