Registering for FEMA Recovery Assistance – How To, and What To Expect…

It’s really challenging to get solid information into the hands of the people who need it most.  Several, heck a lot, of people we’ve met are ‘renters’, have absentee landlords and don’t have any insurance coverage themselves.

There are door-to-door FEMA response crews out in the various neighborhoods in Florida (Irma), and Texas (Harvey). Here’s a decent article with phone numbers (how to) and explanations of what to expect:

FLORIDA –  If you live in one of the disaster-designated Florida counties and experienced property damage or loss directly caused by Hurricane Irma, register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency for disaster assistance – even if you have insurance.

You may register for assistance the following ways:

Online at http://www.DisasterAssistance.gov

If you don’t have Internet access, you can call 800-621-3362.

People who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY should call 800-462-7585.

For those who use 711 or Video Relay Service, call 800-621-3362.

These toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.  seven days a week until further notice.

FEMA assistance for individuals may include grants for rent, temporary housing and home repairs to their primary residences, as well as funding for other serious disaster-related needs, such as medical, dental or funeral costs.

If you have insurance, FEMA may still be able to assist with disaster-related expenses that were underinsured or not covered by your policy.

After you apply, a FEMA inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection.

The inspection generally takes 30-40 minutes or less and consists of a general verification of your disaster-related losses and a review of ownership or residence records. There is no fee for the inspection.

When a FEMA housing inspector comes to visit your home, be sure they show you proper identification. All FEMA inspectors have prominent photo identification badges.

If you suspect someone is posing as a FEMA housing inspector, call our toll-free Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721, or call local law enforcement officials.

Once the inspection process is complete, your situation will be reviewed by FEMA. You will receive a letter by email or physical mail, depending on your preference, which outlines the decision about your claim. For more information about the inspection process, and documentation you will need to provide the inspector, visit the FEMA Individual Assistance Inspection Process page.

Know that you may receive a visit from more than one inspector throughout the recovery process. In addition to FEMA housing inspectors, representatives from the U.S. Small Business Administration, state and local officials and inspectors for private insurance coverage also visit neighborhoods in affected areas.

For more recovery information visit FEMA’s Hurricane Irma web page at http://www.fema.gov/hurricane-irma. (link)

This entry was posted in FEMA, Hurricane Harvey, Hurricane Irma, President Trump. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Registering for FEMA Recovery Assistance – How To, and What To Expect…

1. duchess01 says:

Thanks, Sundance – for this important information – passing along to friends and family – 🙂

2. MM says:

Thanks for the Numbers Sundance.
    I live in fear of my insurance company because my home was built in 1926 and my insurance company looks for a reason to cancel my policy so I pay for damages to my place out of my pocket to save my insurance in case I ever have 100% loss of my home. This storm has wiped out my Citrus crop so I will have no income in 2017-2018 citrus season, but I still have my health so all is good!

• fleporeblog says:

MM sorry to hear about your Citrus crop! You have a wonderful outlook because there is no price tag for your health. Hopefully your insurance company and FEMA are able to provide you everything your entitled too! I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Please keep us posted on your recovery.

• MM says:

Fleporeblog My friend called on Sunday morning and informed me he was going South into the pathway of the storm because his daughter had refused to come up to his house to ride out the storm, she called him in a panic so he felt he needed to go be with her. He loaded up his wife and mentally challenged son and came to my house.
        I chose to follow him to her house just in case things went South in her area. I loaded my car with food and battery powered lanterns, boy am I glad I did that. We took a direct hit from a tornado, as soon as the warning came across the radio I grabbed the 2 younger kids and shoved them into a hallway bathroom, I had to sit on the little boy to keep him in place due to his hysteria. My friend (Wayne) froze and could not function, I managed to get his wife, daughter, granddaughter and him into the hallway just as the great room of the duplex collapsed. I started giving orders and we managed to pull 2 mattress’s into the hallway just in time for the collapse of the dinning room and computer room. My first instinct was to shut of the main breaker to the duplex because the duplex had gas water heater and appliances. I called 911 to inform them of the problem, I told them I knew it was too dangerous for them to rescue us but they needed to know that a tree had fallen on the gas meter. It was complete chaos in that hall way, the women decided they were going to go out into the garage so I had to block them from doing that, then they tried to get past me to go get into the car in the driveway, once again I stopped them and made them get back under the mattress’s. Finally I was at my wits end and I informed them of the cold hard facts that we were in deep trouble and if they continued being stupid that it was highly possible someone would not make it out alive, this shut them up. I’m happy to report that we all made it out alive and the only one injured was me! LOL, Somehow I fractured my left foot but I consider that to be a small price to have paid. We made our way North early Monday morning and it looked like a war zone all the way to my house, power lines resembled giant slinky’s all rolled up. Huge trees across the highway that we had to go around, some areas it looked as if we were driving through a lake. My power was restored late last night along with my phone. Wayne’s daughter and wife apparently were bitching to him about me being bossy he finally lost it with them and told them you should be thanking her for being there she saved your lives by taking control of things and keeping you alive. I told Wayne not to worry about how his wife and daughter acted but the next time we had a hurricane coming in I would most likely go it alone!

• Plain Jane says:

God bless you MM. Speaking for the ingrates, thank you.

• fleporeblog says:

Wow! MM what you did saved people’s lives. You had me in tears 😭 as I read your account. Your story needs to be shared with the entire Treehouse. I hope SD gets a chance to read it and give it a post of its own. With your permission I would love to share it when tomorrow’s Presidential Thread goes up.

• MM says:

My number 1 priority in my business is the safety and well being of my employees, making a profit is secondary. My instinct is to look at my surroundings and identify the danger that may exist.
            As I drove South Sunday I had a bad feeling about what I was doing, but I couldn’t bail on my friend Wayne. When we arrived at Wayne’s daughters house the first thing I noticed were the trees surrounding her duplex so I knew what we might be up against. I was on high alert as everyone else played on their phones. As luck would have it every potential danger I envisioned came to pass. I could care less that his wife and daughter thought I was being bossy, I wasn’t in a contest for the title of MS. Congeniality!
            Wayne’s wife called me appox. 30 minutes ago butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth, not sure why she called. (she never mentioned the collapse of her daughters duplex)
            The city of Deland condemned the duplex as of weds.
            I feel bad for Wayne, he came by Tuesday as soon as he got off from work to check on me. He broke down in tears and told me he was so sorry for freezing up during the disaster. He was afraid his family was going to die right before his eyes. He also told me he felt guilty for what he put me through, I just laughed and said “don’t worry about me I’m one tough girl” I wanted to assure him I had no hard feelings about what transpired and that no one was to blame it was meant to be and that I was in that duplex for a reason. I couldn’t help but add that he owed me one!
            Fleporeblog I’m no hero, I firmly believe that I was in that duplex for a reason.

• MaineCoon says:

Thank God you all are alive and how He used you to save all those lives.

• Shadrach says:

Thank goodness you were there! Common sense is priceless. Sorry about your foot, though.

• wheatietoo says:

Woah, MM…you really got put through the ringer, girl.

Kudos to you for keeping your head while all those others lost theirs.
      There is a prayer about that…and you actually lived it.

So sorry for the ordeal you’re going through and the loss of your Crop.
      It breaks my heart to hear of it.
      And your poor foot! Ouch.
      {{{MM}}}

I think you are awesome, lady.
      Your strength in dealing with all this is inspirational.
      May the good Lord watch over you and keep you safe during all the cleanup.
      I’m sure it’s massive.

I hope you get lots of help from FEMA and any other assistance program that is available.
      People like you are what these programs are for!
      So they damn well better come through for you.

• sundance says:

Crop and Livestock Loss

The USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) administers many safety-net programs to help producers recover from eligible losses, including the Livestock Indemnity Program, the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees, and Farm-Raised Fish Program, Emergency Forest Restoration Program (EFRP) and the Tree Assistance Program. The FSA Emergency Conservation Program provides funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters. Producers located in counties that received a primary or contiguous disaster designation are eligible for low-interest emergency loans to help them recover from production and physical losses. Compensation also is available to producers who purchased coverage through the Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, which protects non-insurable crops against natural disasters that result in lower yields, crop losses or prevented planting. USDA encourages farmers and ranchers to contact their local FSA office to learn what documents can help the local office expedite assistance, such as farm records, receipts and pictures of damages or losses.

Producers with coverage through the RMA administered federal crop insurance program should contact their crop insurance agent. Those who purchased crop insurance will be paid for covered losses. Producers should report crop damage within 72 hours of damage discovery and follow up in writing within 15 days.

3. stella says:

I applied for disaster assistance in 2014 after we had a “storm of the century”, and the sewers backed up into thousands of basements in my area. I know our problem wasn’t on the scale of the hurricane, but I will say that I was amazed how fast and efficient FEMA was. The inspector who came to my home was from Florida, coincidentally!

FEMA covered the cost to replace my furnace and hot water heater. They sent a payment quite quickly, actually. They don’t cover loss of personal belongings or cleanup (at least they didn’t in my case).

4. missmarple2 says:

I would also like to add that the Small Business Administration offers low interest loans for disaster damage after you have exhausted FEMA assistance. I used this program when we had basement rec room damage due to a monster storm which caused flooding in a non-flood area (12 inches of rain in 10 hours) in Indianapolis. (We had fish swimming down our street.)

They made the payments reasonable and spaced them out. So don’t forget this resource, too!

5. skipper1961 says:

SD,
    I reminded Admin that I have a big, FAT chain saw (48″ bar), and LOADS of tools. I simply cannot miss work on Monday (Wheel of Fortune remote @ Disney), but it would be my honor to loan you my gear for as long as you need it. I just can’t afford to not go back to work. Otherwise I would continue bailing folks out here in Wedgefield.

6. Minnie says:

Thank you for all your updates and info, they are appreciated beyond words.

7. Jett Black says:

Be super-wary of any SBA financed loans! I was unexpectedly blessed by a horrible revelation about my finances (family–what can you do but forgive and never forget), that disqualified me for an SBA loan after Katrina. If it works the same now as it did then, SBA loans will prime every other creditor you have AND the loan, which you really, no shinola, have to pay back and probably can’t even discharge in bankruptcy, WILL be counted against any potential grants you may otherwise be entitled to. For instance, I repeatedly saw homeowners going to NOLA officials looking for help because they needed “Road Home” grant money to complete repairs to their homes. They qualified in every way, except for one thing–they’d taken an SBA loan in desperation and that LOAN was being deducted from their GRANT eligibility, meaning they got nothing, but a lot of debt they couldn’t pay back and probably a gutted home. Don’t fall for it! SBA is not for normal folks and especially not for normal folks who can’t be assured of a significant income stream from the investment the loan is funding. Frankly, if you can qualify for an SBA loan, you can probably qualify for other, less onerous financing options. So while YMMV, my 2 cents is do everything you possibly can to avoid any SBA loan, no matter how much they try to act like it’s free money or them being charitable. They’re from the goobermint and they’re here to “help.”–NOT!

8. DoggyDaddy says:

People should contact their local city/county Department of Emergency Management. These departments will be able to give folks the necessary information to file claims, seek assistance, etc. The local EM agencies are responsible for collecting data for FEMA and along with the Feds and other agencies they man Disaster Recovery Centers (or can tell you where the nearest one is). These are your local government folks who know the local situations and can help you get access to Federal relief.

9. CM-TX says:

Some related advice I heard on local radio here in TX:

FEMA does NOT cover investment property. So if you live in a rental home impacted by the storm, & the owner does not have flood insurance -OR- the money to repair… you may be better off ending your lease.

Obviously you should consult with your landlord to confirm status before making any decisions.

10. boogywstew says:

Wow … a convertible pickup! Some bondo and duct tape ….

11. MaineCoon says:

Thanks SD. Saved this information. Praise God our family property was spared and my sister’s homes. My heart goes out to all suffering.

12. anthohmy says:

Just recently realized we do tenants a favor when requiring them to get renters insurance – $200 a year.

13. JAS says:

God Bless you SD. You are truly Angels of Mercy. Just left some “gas money” in your PayPal account.