Open Post For Supplements And Nutrition Tips

Back in July, at the request of some of our regular Treepers, we did a post on healthy recipe favorites. You can find that post here, if you are interested. Many people were happy to contribute, and I think a lot of us found some new favorite recipes to try, and perhaps a little assistance and motivation to improve our health.

Today I am starting a thread for information on supplements, and favorite nutrition tips. What vitamins and supplements do you take, if any, and for what medical conditions? It would be especially helpful to share sources, especially if you have found quality products at a good price.

There is a lot of confusion as to what to take and where to buy it. I remain skeptical of cheap drugstore brands.

I recently had this site recommended to me as a research tool.  Perhaps you guys have other sources for good information out there.

Later, if there is interest in it, we may do a post on exercise, and favorite products or types of physical activity. Any tips or ideas for future posts will be welcome in the comments.

Thanks for pitching in, and we look forward to educating ourselves.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

487 Responses to Open Post For Supplements And Nutrition Tips

1. Eliza says:

This is for older women whom I know suffer from UTI etc. They best way to treat this is to take three capsules of uva ursi at the first sign of a problem. You have to take it w/ 8 ounces of water. This was the go to treatment for UTI’s until antibiotics. Continue for 2 to 3 times a day until symptoms clear up.
    I won’t take antibiotics because of adverse side effects, the last time I took antibiotics, Cipro, it about ruptured my achilles tendons & there other adverse affects associated w/ taking Cipro & other antibiotics. By God’s mercy I found a combination of herbs that acts as powerfully as antibiotics especially w/ UTI’s. That combination is 3 capsules of pau d’ arco with 2 capsules of boswellia along w/ the uva ursi 2 to 3 times a day for about 5 days. It will clear up an active UTI. I “accidentally” took this combination when I had a severe UTI (w/ all the horrible symptoms) & I was mystified by a sudden lessening of symptoms. I tried the combination again & found huge relief. Anyway that’s my tip for women who are plagued by this problem. BTW I am older & have very little problems w/ my bladder if you know what I mean. 😉

I get my supplements at an online health food store called IHerb. https://www.iherb.com/
    The brands of herbs that I recommended are:
    Nature’s Way uva ursi & pau d’ arco and Now Boswellia. I swear by it ladies things are good.

I don’t rely upon over the counter or prescription drugs. I have different things that I do for whatever ails me. If you would like more information, just let me know. God bless you.

2. golsono says:

Hope I got the link right http://www.naturalnewsblogs.com/avocado-seeds-superfoods-health/p Been trying this for two weeks. No visible results yet, but will continue

3. Jenny Hatch says:

I love doTerras lifelong vitality pack.

They are excellent vitamins!

my.doterra.com/naturalfamilyco

• Citizen Kane says:

I know several folks who swear by the results they get from some of their essential oils….a neighbor uses the Deep Blue for knee pain and claims it is the only thing that works…..

I use their immune one-a-day for a booster and it has kept me relatively healthy thru several severe summer/winter cold and flue seasons…..knock on wood.

• Mia C says:

Do you know if their essential oils work for autism? One of their representatives from my church tells me they do. I’m desperate and would give it a try if it could do something. If you can let me know I’d really appreciate it.

• Mia C says:

Hey do their essential oils work for autism? One of their representatives tells me they do. I’m desperate and would give it a try if it could do something.

• Shadrach says:

Have you looked into the link between the immune system and autism? There’s apparently something that links autism to an inability to digest/having an unusual microbiome. When you say “work,” it isn’t a curable disorder, but have a look into bone broth (google that or microbiome and autism). I did a lot of reading on the topic for another reason, and read about some people who saw some positive improvements by working on their kids’ diets.

Just please be careful in your googling. There are a lot of people trying to take advantage of people with sick kids….but I probably don’t need to tell you that.

• Denise says:

I believe my son to be largely healed from his mild Asperger’s symptoms. Yes, I believe it to be possible to heal from Autism. It has been a long road, but through a gluten free and casein free diet and a LOT of excercise and him knowing himself a little more as he gets older (he is 15 now) has helped a lot. I would be happy to share what we have done specifically, if interested. Best wishes. I know right where you are. Hang in there!

• blognificentbee says:

Doterra “Breathe” oil is the only non-chemical that can clear my sinus pressure quickly.

4. Hillsdalian says:

Some useful sites about supplementation and/or exercise:
    http://www.ergo-log.com (discussion of ergogenics / supplements)
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com (discussion of nutrition/exercise studies)
    https://labdoor.com (independent testing of some common supplements)

Pricey, but awesome albacore tuna and source of Omega 3:

My favorite beef jerky:
    http://www.williamsandconner.com/ (Black Pepper Trio)
    https://www.bigjohnsbeefjerky.com (Really great value w/loyalty discount)

• Rebcalntx says:

Hillsdalian, thank you for the albacore tuna source. Does anyone remember the Vital online source meantioned a month ago on the receipe thread. I lost the number & cant remember full name. First was Vital. They sold tuna, salmon etc. online.

5. Try yerba mate. It is like a tea or a coffee, but it is 1) healthier, 2) less upsetting to the stomach, 3) just as tasty, after you get used to it for a few days, 4) encourages regularity, 5) enhances libido, 6) Reduces appetite for most people, and 7) is less expensive since you re-saturate the same ‘leaves’ for several cups (drinks) before discarding. Message me for more info if you become a fan.

6. carrierh says:

When I moved back to the USA, I had enough things going wrong with me that I determined to learn more about real nutrition and real supplements. So, I studied with various teachers, incluidng at Berkeley, wholistic, etc. Yes, some exercise is necessary so I learned and teach Low Resistance exercise which is simple, easy and can be learned in 2 minutes, then I studied more and on the firs Earth Day I became a Shaklee user because I did not want any chemical cleaners (I lived before in a 3rd world country) so I started there and the more I learned about good health I stopped buying in so-called health food stores and started with Shaklee supplements as the most natural vs. any other brand. Within 2 months I noticed a huge!!! difference and today at almost 80 I have great health, take no drugs, do exercise and even at 79 my cornea were thick enough that I could get back my Lasic after catarach surgery (I hate wearing glasses since I was 12 yrs. old). I recommend Shaklee supplements to friends, contacts, and my patients knowing they will get the best results with no foul tastes or burbling back nasty tastes. I know from working with diabetics and developing a diet for them that absolutely no milk products of any kind from cows as we have known since 1950 cow milk products are toxic to the human body, and no grains (wheat, corn, cereals) as all are high in starch sugars which stay in the body way too long, no white potatoes ditto starch sugar, no juices, and only two pcs. fruit daily as fructose is causing liver problems. Those 8 glasses of water needed and plenty of good protein, especial red meat at least once a month because of the many healthy things it brings to the body that no other flesh or plant protein can. I had to study what we call Western Medicine while getting my Master’s and doctorate in Oriental Medicine and why we in OM get great health results vs. toxic drugs handed out like candy by doctors. You do need some sunlight, 8 grams of natural D3 daily, and do not lower cholesterol because your body needs it! and statins have never been proven to even work but can destroy your memory and muscles (and that includes the heart). We also know from West Med that anyone over 55 yrs. of age needs their blood pressure at 140/90 and no drugs but stabilized there because the heart needs it and from the heart to the brain so you get your memory back, no migraines, vertigo, dizziness or falling over n your face. Too many do not want to take their self-responsibility to good health and rely on phony information online, prescriptions, thinking an alcoholic drink a day is good (not, but 2 -3 times a week okay), real sodium is healthy but the “salt” in fast foods is not good, along with the wrong type of fat needed by the brain, and, of course the wheat/sugar. I don’t deprive myself, but I do know what I need to do daily. I had a physical about 3 months ago and all is great, including the kidneys which as you age, they age and cause several health problems. Yes, you do need check-ups on a regular basis, keep your teeth in great condition, and keep an open mind to happiness, helping others, and not soo much TV, etc. Life is to be lived and enjoyed so as you age, you are well, agile, flexible, not with a sticking out rounded bloated belly from wheat belly, but at a weight that looks good on you. I love teaching some QiGong and real meditation to everyone as well because of its health benefits. Hope this gets accepted as is long but right on target to a healthy body, mind and spirit.

7. KBR says:

Four things that I use in unusual ways have helped me. I hope they help y’all too.

1) When seasons change, I tend to get leg cramps or foot cramps, the kind that wake you in the night.😵😳😫 (No doubt that has to do with switching from sandals to shoes and back, it also happens whenever I wear high heels to some fancy function: in otherwords foot and leg muscles that have not been “all-day” stretched are suddenly being stretched new ways for hours on end. Also can happen if my feet get caught under the covers, under pressure: more likely in winter when heavier covers are used. A heel-height change of even an inch can do it, folks!)

The cramps seem to last a long time when you are in pain, but the time is likely just the time it takes the body to respond to the pain signal and to round up and free up some magnesium and deliver it to the screaming muscles: sometimes 10-15 minutes of agony, wherein you have awakened the entire household trying to “roll your foot” or “rub your foot” or just have been rolling around or hopping around on the living room floor 😜

Here is what I do: Milk of Magnesia on a cotton ball, rubbed on the painful muscle relieves cramp pain almost instantly: the magnesium is absorbed through the skin easily, and magnesium is part of the process of easing the cramping.

It is cheap. It works. It won’t hurt you: If you can swallow the dang stuff, you know that a bit on a cottonball is not dangerous to your health. I now keep a little jar that eye cream came in filled with Milk of Magnesia and a little pouch with 5-6 cotton balls next to my bed. When and if the Charley horse or foot cramp wakes me, I immediately put the stuff on the cramping area. It works fast, so I can then go back to sleep by the time it dries on my skin. My husband is also extremely grateful: since I know just what to do, I resist screaming hopping and groaning, knowing it will be over fast.😬

2) I bought a bottle of zinc tablets, and a little bottle of saline nasal spray. When I feel that first itchy scratchy tingle that says “you are catching a cold” I take a q-tip, wet it with a drop of the nasal saline, rub the moistened q-tip on a zinc tablet (not a lozenge!) and then touch it to that spot in my pharynx, throat or even nose👃 that has sent me the “tingle-cold-coming” alarm. I do it again if I get another signal. I have not had a cold since I started this. Zinc keeps the virus it comes into contact with from replicating. 🤧

You won’t even see the white zinc on the q-tip, you don’t even have to break up the zinc tablet, just rub the swab on the tablet back and forth a few times, a little dab will do. CAUTION: I am not talking about those colored “flavored zinc lozenges” folks: I mean a white tablet that is 50 mg zinc (also contains a little magnesium stearate) that you can buy as a “dietary supplement”. Mine is “Spring Valley” brand and I think I got it at a Walmart pharmacy.

CAVEAT: This is the same theory that ZiCam swabs used to use before some people claimed they “lost their sense of smell” from using the swabs. Maybe so, but I think it was just b/c it was working so well that BigPharma was losing $ on their so-called “cold remedies” that do NOTHING to cure, and a lot to spread colds. People feel a little bit better symptom-wise, so they go ahead and go out to work, school, stores, and around other people who then catch it and buy more fake “cold remedies ” and then go out around other people etc etc. Anyway, I have no problems with MY sense of smell. So Take it or leave it.

3) For an earache, I take a garlic piece and remove the outer skin, crush it, and put that in olive oil in a little glass bowl. I microwave that for 30 seconds. When it is not too hot, I use a cotton ball to soak up a bit of the oil and put 2 drops of that oil (but no pieces of garlic!) in my ear by squeezing the cottonball. 👂Then I put a cotton ball in the ear just to keep the oil from maybe dripping out on clothes. It cures my earache. Garlic is good against some viruses, bacteria, and fungi. It will keep in the bowl (covered) at room temp for a couple days, just rewarm and use again if needed.

If you have FEAR OF ZINC-ANOSMIA 😳
    Another garlic trick I used back when I got colds: peel a fresh USA-grown garlic clove and chop it fine, along with coarse-chopped onions and some sweet peppers if you have some. Fry these in a little oil or butter just to clarify the onion, and then add chicken broth right into the frying pan. Pour this into a bowl and breathe in the steam. You can put a towel over the back of your head to capture more steam.

When the steaming is almost done, eat/drink the “soup.” You get some curcumin from the onions and peppers and also the beneficial garlic both in your nostrils from the steam, and in your throat from the eating. It tastes real good when your taste buds have been blah because of a cold. You can do this as often as you like. (If onions upset your tummy, take a Beano when you eat the soup.) I have also cut and smashed a garlic piece and just sniffed it a few times if I was in a hurry. 😁

4) Aloe leaf. Now everybody knows aloe is great for the skin, but the way I use it is a bit different than most I read: I pinch off a tender leaf, split the leaf open, and put the actual interior of that piece of leaf on my cut, insect bite, itchy bump, blister, burn or whatever. Usually it will stay for a while, but taping it on with a small bandaid or tape is okay too: the longer it stays the better it works. Aloe leaf cures and heals the skin. It works great for very dry skin like in winter on your heels when the socks absorb the oils right out of your feet: just take a leaf split it open and plaster it on your foot at the sides of your heels! Leave it there or tape it there for a while.

Aloe concoctions OTC do almost nothing: most are too “watered down” and too old-not-fresh-enough, and none AFIK have the leaf tissue itself in them. Soo…Buy a plant or several!, not a tube or bottle!

• woohoowee says:

An Epsom salt bath or foot soak for 20 minutes before bed keeps the cramps from starting and waking you up.

• KBR says:

Yep! That works well if you suspect you might have a muscle strain that will wake you up later. But a 20 minute soak every single night just in case? …well I probably wouldn’t be able to stick to that regimen. I imagine 🤔falling asleep 😴in my chair, and having to get fully awake😳 to make up a foot soak, then having to clean up afterward before I could go to bed…So milk of mag will stay on my nightstand, if only for those nights when I get my feet tangled in my covers. 😁

Epsom salt also is good for “drawing out” an infection from a small wound, or so my mama used to say. 😉 Softens the skin on feet too for an at-home pedicure. It is something I keep on hand.

• KBR says:

That is, and epsom salt SOAK (epsom salt in warm water) will draw out infections. I wouldnt want someone to apply it directly to a wound…

• woohoowee says:

I bathe in it every night due to atopic dermatitis. Works great for my itchy skin and keeps those *awful* cramps away 🙂 The kind of cramps you have will definitely make ya dance around the house hollering!

• KBR says:

yep. Take care of the tootsies folks!

• woohoowee says:

The magnesium oil TimeIsNow mentioned in their post can be sprayed on the bottom of your feet before bed but it’s messy. It’s so strong I have to use a tiny amount in a bath if we purchase it as an oil instead of salt rocks. Was trying to come up with something you can do before bed so you don’t have disturbed sleep from cramps. Mayb

• TimeIsNow says:

It is the magnesium in the two above posts that stops cramps. You can also buy Magnesium oil, really a liquid salt, to apply direct as it is stronger.

• woohoowee says:

The magnesium oil is a great deodorant if you can tolerate it. My skin won’t tolerate it, but hubby loves it.

• KBR says:

Magnesium oil, cheapest I found around a Dollar per ounce would be $26 for 26 oz.
          Milk of magnesia, store brand, $3.57 for 26 oz.

MOM works fine for leg and foot cramps, so I’ll stick with the cheap white stuff. 😁
          It doesn’t leave oils stains on my sheets.
          But it is interesting to know that magnesium comes in oil.

• anne broderick says:

The magnesium in the salts . . . . it is one of the best and most important substances to bring into the body. Great for the heart. Some people spray magnesium mixed with water onto their bodies after a shower. It is truly amazing how much and how fast the skin can absorb a substance.
        When I worked in a lab a co-worker asked me to open my hand and he put a drop of liquid onto my palm. Within a minute or two, I had a strong garlic taste in my mouth. At the moment I can’t remember what that chemical substance was, but it was a good lesson in how absorbable the skin really is. . . . . and how careful you need to be about what you put on it.

• xyzlatin says:

I keep a little container of sea salt flakes on my bedstand. When I wake up with cramps, I put a little salt on my tongue. By the time I put the container down the cramp has gone. I also keep a container in my car as sometimes I get foot cramps when I stretch out my foot to the pedal.

• blognificentbee says:

Definitey trying all (except the first as I done get cramps). Thank you!

8. woohoowee says:

Metagenics is the best brand of vitamins and supplements we’ve found.

9. Diane says:

I take Juice +. It is whole, dehydrated, real fruits and vegetables in encapsulated form as opposed to the vitamin extraction method. I believe if the body has all the nutrients it needs, it will heal itself in most cases. I have been taking for 4 years. My family and I would not get the recommended daily servings of fruits and vegetables otherwise.

• Steele81 says:

DH and I have been taking juice plus for about a year. Our daughter in law posted here up a ways. She researched it from a RN perspective and we gave it a try. We live in the Deep South with pine forests galore which lead to prob 4 or 5 sinus infections a year for both of us from all the pollen. I have not been sick but once since I started taking it and I only got sick because I ran out and didn’t want DH to go without . It has been a godsend. DH has hemochromatosis and since taking juice plus his feriton levels have gone back to normal and he has not had to have blood removed. My moderately high cholesterol is under 200 again.. it comes in capsules or gummies. We love the gummies.

Link removed by Admin

10. Sayit2016 says:

I have studied holistic medicine for about 10 years as it interests me. Rule number 1– you must detoxify your kidneys, liver and lymphatic system and build up your adrenals. If does not matter what supplements you take if your body does not absorb the proper nutrients. I do a cleanse about 4 times a year… Dr. Morse has excellent products it is a little pricey but absolutely worth it. You can feel the difference in the potency You see results in about 2 weeks. I also take Morninga Tea– amazing what the benefits are.

• Kathy says:

REGARDING DETOX … This is a partial copy-paste of comments by Treeper “Rick” on the Healthy Recipes Thread (July 17, 2017 at 10:22 am):

Removing toxins is an important step to wake up the body’s immune system. Here is a simple detox that is great for the Liver and Pancreas (two important organs that help regulate glucose and cholesterol levels). So, it would make sense to “tune-up” these working parts of the body.

To an 8 oz. glass of warm water, add:
      … 1 tsp organic honey
      … 1 T fresh lime juice
      … 1 T apple cider vinegar
      … 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
      … 1/8 tsp tumeric
      … 1/8 tsp rosemary
      … 1/8 tsp cinnamon

Start each morning on an empty stomach with the following for three weeks, once a month for the next 11 months. Repeat annually. (you must be strict without missing a day during the three-week cleanse). NOTE: The annual “cycle” was clarified in a subsequent comment:

….. MONTH 1 — drink every day for 21 days in a row.
      ….. MONTHS 2 through 12 — drink one day per month.
      ….. MONTH 13 — repeat the 21-days-in-a-row cleanse.

11. Jenny R. says:

Dietary supplements are not necessary for anyone who is not in this condition:
    Pregnant women/nursing mothers
    Senior citizens
    People with food allergies, celiac disease which precludes a balanced diet
    People who are not getting enough nutrition/calories from their diet due to disease (such as cancer)
    People who are not getting a balanced diet/enough calories due to circumstance (this would include nutrition bars/drinks after high intensity sporting events and diabetics who may be suffering a hypoglycemic reaction, but for those situations only, not daily)

Everyone else would be better served to just eat a healthy, balanced diet of moderate proportions…the supplements are a waste of money and could even be harmful for your health.

• PNWLifer says:

Actually Jenny R you are completely wrong because your premise has to be based upon that everyone has a perfectly functioning body. Every body is different. Every brain is different. Some bodies have a difficult time absorbing _______ (fill in the blank) which can lead to snowballing issues. We also live in a world where stress can take a terrible toll on a body and brain. A stressed out adrenal system affects a body tremendously.

You can eat the healthiest, most balance diet possible and exercise regularly and still have a body that isn’t functioning perfectly for reasons we may not understand. A simple supplement can indeed help.

All that said, working with a naturopath and ideally one with an exceptional chemistry/biology background that understands these things on a molecular level is smarter than supplementing on your own.

• PippiLS says:

Amen, sister! (Brother?) . . . especially the part about the naturopath with a degree in cellular biology.

• daizeez says:

I agree. Stress alone compromises our bodies and does tremendous harm to our immune systems. I work with animals at a shelter and I learned a lot about how stress effects them in the worst possible ways & I found out first hand that people are no different in that regard.

• Jenny R. says:

Most people’s bodies function perfectly fine — organisms have a very wide range of “normal” that they can operate in.
        People have been pitched so much advertising on how they are not normal (when they are) that it has a reverse placebo effect. Which they then amend with supplements that basically work off of placebo effect (which is real in the sense of its psychological effects on a person’s sense of well being but that is not the same as physical wellness, which the person may not really be suffering that much from because of the other effect mentioned above — in which case the supplement industry has people going and coming.

People who have actual nutritional shortages or are in need of increased nutritional demands that may not be met are the only people who are in need of nutritional supplements.
        Everybody else is just wasting their money…and possibly ingesting things that aren’t all that great for you if you go too far.
        Hey, if you want to spend money on supplements, fine, but please don’t be uninformed about them — some can truly be toxic (that includes multivitamins — the fat soluable vitamins especially) and a lot aren’t necessary or even doing anything other than placebo effect (MSM, chondroitin, glucosamine, hylaronic are particularly well studied — thus far nothing conclusive has been found as to their efficacy as dietary supplements in people or in animals).

PS. longevity, slimness/good looks, etc. has a lot to do with genetics as well as youth — and no supplement is going to help that…and that seems to be the main reason people are taking supplements, some of the main reasons they are advertised too

And just because a naturopath has a degree in cellular biology doesn ‘t mean that they aren’t above scamming people (degrees don’t count for character).

• PippiLS says:

These “studies” and quackwatch you mention are run by MDs who typically pooh pooh natural medicine, because the medical schools where they learn their trade are funded by big pharma, and big pharma has a vested interest in keeping the population dependent upon their drugs.

Jenny, please forgive me if I’m wrong, but I believe you are a troll. Most Treepers are free thinkers who have figured out that the educational system, Big Farm (think Monsanto), big Pharma is all aimed as a weapon against us. Not to mention the years of chemtrail spraying by our government that has weakened the health of so many (see http://www.geoengineeringwatch.org ).

Every reply you’ve posted here insinuates that the people posting on this thread are buying armloads of cheap and useless supplements while eating junk food 24/7, and no wonder they’re all sick,. Nothing could be further from the truth; all suggestions I’ve read are specific and useful.

You’ve offered nothing useful other than a vague “eat healthy and you won’t need anything else.”. And you keep posting that over and over, cluttering up this thread while contributing virtually nothing. What gives, lady?

• mike says:

The studies that QW often quotes are used disingenuously at best. Too little, too late, for short times with ineffective forms of vitamins, used alone rather than rebalanced.

It’s almost as if they could not read a recipe book, or worked for a rich but threatened competitor to deliberately screw stuff up. Oh.

• PippiLS says:

I respectfully disagree. There is a very common but seldom correctly diagnosed health issue caused by a genetic mutation. It is responsible for many chronic inflammatory conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, eczema ( and ultimately topical steroid addiction), etc., as well as certain neuropathic problems such as bipolar and attention deficit disorders.d You can find out if your body is severely handicapped in a cellular activity called methylation, by getting a DNA test for MTHFR. If it turns out that you have a mutation at one of two locations on this gene, you could be in serious need of methylfolate and methylcobalamin (active forms of B9 and B12 respectively), and you should eliminate processed foods that contain folic acid (man-made folate).

Simply eating a healthy diet is NOT going to get rid of your MTHFR caused problems. If your body can’t methylate, your body cannot detox normally from heavy metals like lead and mercury, or from absorbed pharmaceuticals that simply accumulate until critical mass is reached and health breaks down. I repeat, MTHFR mutations are VERY common, and if you’re suffering from something chronic, get tested.

• David says:

Sure, of course, if they knew how to do that. The problem is that most of the food supply these days isn’t healthy, And for those who spend the extra time and effort to find healthier food, they still won’t know what vital nutrients are absent from their balanced diet. You can’t look at your spinach or bananas and determine if they have enough magnesium for your personal needs.

Your advice is not the solution. It is only the first basic small step on a long path to achieving health and vigor.

• Jenny R. says:

Living organisms have a very high range of tolerance in the normal range. You’ll probably be fine being slightly to the low or high side of that range. The individual bunch of spinach or the single banana may be less or more nutrient rich, but they’re all probably well within the range of nutritional food. And by the way…that hot dog isn’t going to kill you if you eat it.
        The food supply isn’t as unhealthy as its made out to be — it certainly isn’t any worse than what it was 100 years ago.
        Don’t get me started on the “organic” food craze.
        The thing that seems to be spooking people is what was commonly called aging (and hence mortality)…well, there is no magic cure for that. Best to just be at peace with it and enjoy life as it is given to you by God, aka. go ahead and enjoy that chocolate cake and that hot dog, just don’t go overboard (or do, and accept that you may become fat, which could if taken to extremes affect your health and vigor, especially if you are very sedentary).

• David says:

You are woefully misinformed. Trace minerals in food produced by agriculture have dropped precipitously since 1900. Selenium could be found at .045mg per 100g of foods in 1900, that same 100g of food will only have .001mg of selenium today. Magnesium could be found at .027mg per 100g of foods in 1900, today that same amount of food will only have .002 or .001mg of magnesium. One apple in 1950 contained about 4.3mg of iron, today it contains about 0.18mg. Phosphorus, zinc, copper have also been depleted from our food supply.

And as trace minerals in our diet were reduced, our disease rates have increased. Heart conditions, chronic bronchitis, and bone deformity reported cases all have an inverse linear relationship with the decline of trace minerals.

The thing that seems to be spooking people is what was commonly called aging…well, there is no magic cure for that.

Actually there is! Note that the following broadcast from ABC is real news, not fake.

12. dayallaxeded says:

Anyone tried/trying apple cider vinegar with or without garcinia cambogia for weight loss? Could use a little help.

• Menagerie says:

I take ACV daily. I usually put it in my smoothies. I also recently bought a bottle of the pills just to try, can’t say whether the pills are beneficial.

I take it for a variety of reasons, and I haven’t done it consistently long term enough to say whether it helps with weight loss, but I have a niece in her thirties who lost weight, not a huge amount, and she swears by it. Says she takes a spoonful or two mixed with pineapple juice and honey a half hour before meals.

I have no idea at all whether that is related to her weight loss, she was never really overweight. But she is absolutely glowing with health now, and she swears by it, FWIW.

• CoffeeBreak says:

For decades my stress level was through the roof and my digestive tract was so sensitive, I could not even tolerate water. I was dehydrated and starved although I wasn’t hungry.

After many years of bouncing between medical professionals, one of my siblings gave me the phone number of a very private almost reclusive health guru. She never mentioned this much sooner because she had to get his permission to share it with me.

I’ve followed his advice with success and all it is, is a tablespoon of Bragg’s ACV first thing after waking, followed with 8 oz of water. Then about ten minutes later a clove of fresh minced garlic and fresh ginger. Both together should equal about a tablespoon.

This and getting sunlight directly on my face almost everyday not only made my life liveable but things seem clearer, focused and I have more vigor. Use sunscreen, certainly.

• cycle1 says:

I have 3 tablespoons per quart of water and drink it every day. So probably close to a Gallon a day of that ratio. I drink it because it helps my digestion. As we get older, our stomachs do not get acidic enough so this, I believe helps process foods better. I do believe it helps with weight loss also.

• cycle1 says:

I know that sounds weird considering all the antacids out there, but this works for me. The theory about needing more acidity is gaining a lot of momentum. I personally believe it is correct.

• Colorado Conservative says:

Years ago I read a book about this and I started taking HCL supplements with my meals along with digestive enzymes. Have not had heartburn in years other than on rare occasions so I do believe the theory is right. Also do not have the bloating and discomfort after eating large meals.

13. Oscar Oddpicker says:

This thread is timely for me as I have a 16 year old Son with Aspergers and some OCD behavior. He currently takes one tablet, 36mg per day of Concerta for almost 3 years now. His Doctor wants to increase his dosage; I am against that and would prefer he quit taking the drug entirely. My wife suggested we try Hardy Nutritional supplements and I did some research on the Company and concluded “what have we got to lose?” However, some skeptics I found online suggested that I have my son tested first for any vitamin/mineral deficiency. Other skeptics recommend simply taking one Centrum per day at a fraction of the cost of the Hardy supplements.
    I’ve tried everything imaginable for my son over the years. He will not eat healthy but he is extremely intelligent in certain areas. I pray that he’ll figure out his own situation in his own way as he matures. Does anyone have knowledge or opinions on the Hardy supplements for autism, etc.?
    BTW, my son is a political savant and huge Trump guy. We attended the inauguration together. He’s looking to join a Tea Party or Trump political campaign in the suburban Chicago area (I know, not an easy task in Chicago). He has a gift for analyzing voting patterns, etc. He also works part time at the local airport.
    Love CTH! Thanks to Sundance & the Treepers. MAGA!

• PippiLS says:

Please read my reply to JennyR above. MTHFR mutations are extremely high in autistic/aspergers due to the neurotransmitter connection in methylation.

• willvecchio says:

I’ve read lately that gut health is extremely importation for people with Aspergers and autism.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

This is an older article about L-Carnitine, an amino acid and Autism that might be of some interest. https://www.autismspeaks.org/science/science-news/new-findings-autism-and-carnitine
      Then this article about an Egyptian study.
      Centrum is not very good. I don’t recommend it. There are better quality vitamins. I have neuro Lyme disase and have a regiment I follow using supplements for energy, and supplements for the hand tremors.

• Jenny R. says:

One of my children is autistic, so a bit further along the spectrum than your son. OCD/ADD/ADHD and poor eating habits seem to be part and parcel of the disorder…I have no personal experience with Concerta, as I’ve never had my child on any medication (her phases of OCD/ADHD are not debilitating in degree or duration).
      Encouraging good eating habits can help — just don’t be stiff about it (because I have found that in our case it doesn’t work). Yes, I gave her a children’s Centrum for the times when she got particularly peckish and wouldn’t eat anything but Ramen noodles, but I don’t give it to her when she goes through phases of eating well.
      And we live with what amounts to her personality quirks and lack of expressive communication — we are grateful that she’s fairly and actually much more self-sufficient than some normal kids her age (she can cook food for herself for a start, although of course with some supervision — she’s 9).
      A lot of the medications and nutritional supplements being marketed to parent’s of spectrum children have, from my research, been of unconfirmed and even dubious providence. I would rather spend my money on educational and enrichment activities for her, as those seem to be the most efficacious and also give her the most pleasure.

• PippiLS says:

Jenny, perhaps you’re on the wrong blog. This one is for those of us sharing what has worked for us. We get it: you believe in “perfect” diet alone. Can you just let the rest of us offer other people some non-pharmaceutical help for when your perfect diet fails?

14. PookaDig says:

Pterostilbene – $30 per bottle

Anti cancer, neuro, cardio, etc benefits

15. brschultz says:

I watch golf to fall asleep

16. Yankee Doodler says:

First, for mental health: I have a life-long acquaintance with depressive mood disorder, but a low tolerance for pharmaceutical remediation. Although I had the best of military medicine available to me, at the recommendation of a similarly disposed friend I spent several thousand dollars at the Daniel Amen Clinic to undergo assessment by a gifted psychiatrist. She ultimately told me that I needed to take daily dose of pharmaceutical-grade fish oil. Taking her recommendation provided a remarkable quality-of-life improvement. Several sources are available (including the Amen Clinic formulary) and the psychiatrist told me I could look around with her approval. For reasons of economy I settled on the Q-Omegas formula available from Q Sciences out of Pleasant Grove, UT.

Second, for overall physical well being (and especially to relieve early arthritis pain in my hands, as I am a musician) I have been delighted by the results of adding daily turmeric to my diet in the form of “golden paste” which I prepare from bulk turmeric at very little cost. I followed the recommendations kindly provided at the comprehensive website turmericforhealth.com. Also, at the recommendation of my family physician, I am taking a daily multivitamin. Solgar products, available via Amazon or health-food stores, have a long-standing reputation for quality and reasonableness in pricing.

• KBR says:

I put a sprinkle of tumeric on lots of foods. I don’t notice the taste and if hubby has noticed any difference in flavor, he has not mentioned it. It does add a bit of yellow color but with chicken dishes and scrambled eggs or deviled eggs, yellow rice, yellow squash, anything having mustard in or on it (potato salad to hamburgers) and most foods with tomato sauces the color is not even noticed. I agree it is good for you!

• PippiLS says:

Okay, I hate to sound like a broken record, but you have several indicators (chronic depression and arthritis) for the genetic mutation of MTHFR: disruption of neurotransmitter production and inflammation caused by inability or impaired ability to methylate.. See my post above in answer to JennyR. People diagnosed with depression and MTHFR polymorphism are typically prescribed Deplin by their MD, which is nothing more than methylfolate (active form of B9), so I can’t figure out why you’d need a prescription. I get my methylfolate/methylcobalamin combo online from SeekingHealth.com. Like you, I also supplement with fish oil, turmeric . . . and additionally, liposomal glutathione (a monster anti-oxident that your body normally creates but not in high enuf quantities to combat the oxidative stress in our lives), as well as a daily probiotic.

17. Ivan Place says:

One of the issues with supplements is that, for the most part, they are totally unregulated. Another is that, frequently, where double-blind studies have been done, the effects observed are opposite to the desired direction. In other words, real research studies frequently show supplements to be exacerbating the condition(s) they are supposed to alleviate. One starting point, for those who are interested, might be the book, “Do You Believe in Magic? The Sense and Nonsense of Alternative Medicine,” by Paul Offit, and the research papers referenced in his footnotes.

One of the problems with the advice of friends and associates about supplements, is that some might be quite effective for some people, but those people turn out to be exceptions, rather than the rule. As a physicist friend is wont to say, “the plural of ‘anecdote’ is not ‘data.'”

YMMV, of course…

• David says:

That book was the result of sour grapes. The year before the book came out, pharmaceutical company Merck was turned down twice by the EFSA to label its Seven Seas Glucosamine as good for joint health. Merck is a big sponsor for Offit. Offit doesn’t like nutritional supplements because they undercut drug companies which pay him millions.

Now this is absolutely true for both supplements and drugs. What works for one person, won’t necessarily work for another. That is why each person needs to listen to advice but also listen to their body and give up on something if it isn’t working for them.

18. adoubledot says:

I’ve been on ID Life nutrition for about 3-1/2 years now. It’s a customizable plan using an onilne profile that considers your age, your and your family’s medical history and conditions, location, current diet, activity, etc. The profile computes the optimal types and amounts of vitamins, minerals and oils based on your responses and ships them to you each month. You can go back and modify your profile as circumstances change. The daily packets are divided into breakfast and dinner, as certain supplements perform optimally in the morning vs. evening.

Like I posted above, I have high cholesterol, so the profile produces decent amounts of Omega 3, but because of my age, it also has provided CoQ10 and lots of vitamin D.

The company started in early 2014 but the reasearch on this customized program has been going on since the 90s. They just needed someone to run the company and market it. In fact I’ve met the CEO a couple times before he took this on. PM me if you want to look into it.

19. whatfreshnell says:

I have not read through…(famous last words) but, here’s my contribution. What comes out is as important as what goes in. I give you Squatty Potty. It works!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q and laugh yer butt off. Then, get one (or two). Sometimes Costco has a two-fer deal.

20. youme says:

Dietary Supplements Verification Program

Instead of just pulling product off shelves and testing them, we work with manufacturers to ensure they have the appropriate quality assurance protocols in place to ensure quality is built into the product.

We meet the company owners, we inspect their manufacturing facilities, we review their files to see where they are sourcing their ingredients, how their supplements are made, what methods they use to test both the ingredients and the final products, and whether those tests are appropriate for the product and capable of identifying harmful contaminants like heavy metals, pesticides, and microbes. And finally, we test their products against USP’s public standards.

A supplement successfully meeting our rigorous testing and auditing criteria receives the USP Verified Mark. When you see the Mark, it means the supplement:

Contains the ingredients listed on the label, in the declared strength and amounts
    Does not contain harmful levels of specified contaminants
    Is made according to FDA and USP Good Manufacturing Practices, using sanitary and well-controlled processes
    Will break down and dissolve within a specified amount of time so the active ingredients can be released and absorbed by the body
    But that’s not all. Each year, USP will conduct a facility audit and our own surveillance – pulling product off store shelves and testing them to ensure they continue to meet USP standards.

21. daizeez says:

Has anyone tried Rose Gernanium Oil as a tick repellant? A friend gave me a bottle to try but haven’t done that yet. She said hunters use it in the field.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

You probably want to dilute it in apple cider vinegar with water.

Or this: Homemade Tick Spray using Rose Geranium Essential Oil. Natural Tick Repellent that has been working for us for the past 3 years! Mix the vodka or witch hazel with your essential oil in a spray bottle . Pour in your distilled water and shake, shake, shake! http://www.primallyinspired.com/homemade-tick-spray-natural-repellent/

I use Pet Naturals Flea and Tick spray on my dogs. Besides a organic apple cider vinegar diluted with organic green tea to repel sketters, gnats, and fleas.

22. KBR says:

IMO, do the best you can for your health, but do not worry incessantly about every food. Eat fresh and enjoy what food you have.

My ancestors are mostly long lived. Mostly 80’s 90’s even a few 100’s. I figure my chances of living as long as that are likely pretty good, if I just eat the same kind of foods they ate, and work as hard as they worked.

So I eat mostly what is locally raised or grown, like they did. And if I eat like they ate, I will be eating fresh eggs, salt pork,bacon, pork chops, beef, butter, milk and milk products, and potatoes creamed with dairy and full of butter, vegetables cooked with fatback or bacon grease, and biscuits made with milk, lard, and white flour. 😁 Mmm mmm good.

If increasing my “exercise” (they never exercised, they just worked HARD) and changing the way I eat makes me live a whole lot longer than my ancestors generally did, what do I win?

I would “win” the ability to sadly outlive all my friends, probably my children, nearly all of my same age peers and be known as the old hag who just won’t die: unappreciated most likely, and most people either ignoring or despising me. At least until my 100, 110, or 125th birthday when the papers might put me in the paper as an oddity, and ask me the “secret of my longevity.”

But refusing to listen to the answer, of course. Which would likely be, “I don’t know what I did to earn such a long life but I am hoping God will forgive me soon, and take me on home.”

Be careful what you wish for.

• Kaco says:

Yeah, I don’t know when my time is up, but I look at these things as improving the quality of life, not necessarily the longevity. i think moderation in most everything. I wish we had cleaner, more natural foods more readily available, though. I try to buy “local” pfroduce, organic is so expensive on many things.

23. Bad_Brad says:

I’ve tried it all. Long time weight lifter. But for the last couple years I’ve been moving in a bit more natural approach. I HIGHLY recommend Apple Cider Vinegar. DHEA is another winner. For men I would definitely take Tribulus.

24. willvecchio says:

The good, the bad and now here’s the ugly: Ancel Keyes. He rose to prominence after President Eisenhower’s first heart attack as Ike’s nutritional adviser and friend of Ike’s cardiologist. Keyes had a hunch that heart disease was the result of the consumption of saturated fats. He manipulated his research findings and besmirched the reputations of all who raised doubts. He dominated the advice doled out by our government until practically everybody was eating low fat, high carb diets with very little healthy fat. The results have been catastrophic for public health.

Dr. Atkins recognized that low carb diets are healthier and the key to weight loss. Read The Big Fat Surprise by Nina Tiecholz. A real eye opener!

• RedBallExpress says:

Goes to show what a arrogant SOB can accomplish. The only thing saving the dairy industry right now is the rising consumption of butter. I kid you not. Don’t you just love butter?

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

I miss butter, but I have that pesky Alpha Gal mammal ingredient problem caused by the bite of the Lone Star Tick. I have not found any satisfactory substitutions, except for organic coconut butter.

25. andi lee says:

Any simple recommendations, tips, advice, for hormone-producing (breast) cancer?

26. NotIdeal says:

Anyone try neuro-enhancers? I mean over the counter ones.

I take fish oil for brain stimulation.

Does anyone else have recommendations for focus and mental acuity?

27. Mia C says:

If anyone has tips for a 5 1/2 year old who can’t talk beyond single words that has autism I’d appreciate it. Maybe he has a little ADHD too.

• Shadrach says:

Left you a response upthread.

• janc1955 says:

I wish I had some suggestions for you, Mia. Is he under the care of an autism specialist?

• RedBallExpress says:

Try different Doctors. You might get lucky.

• Deusvult says:

Check for deficiancies via various tests. Blood, hair…

• Inourtime says:

Research is showing a connection between low Vitamin D and autism. A high daily dose of Vitamin D3 can greatly improve symptoms, for some but not all kids.

Dr. John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council is actively researching this. Go on the website http://www.vitamindcouncil.org and search on autism. Find out what he recommends. Read the testimonials.

Also read the terrific book “The Brain’s Way of Healing” by Norman Doidge, M.D.. He reports some amazing methods being used to heal or at least greatly improve brain problems such as autism (and many others).

• My nutritionalist/natural doctor works with autistic children. I wish I could tell you what he gives them other than fish oil, but if you google natural treatments for austistic children you might find some good help.

• Oscar Oddpicker says:

Mia, I posted up thread regarding my 16 year old son with Aspergers. Over the years I’ve tried everything including neuro feedback, holistic doctors, scalp massages and much more.
      I did have success with Body Balance (easy to administer liquid but expensive, Multilevel Marketing product) when my son was 6. The improvement was noticeable and only took 3 weeks of using the product. However, my son plateaued after taking the product for 2 years and we moved on to other natural remedies etc. with little success. I’ve always believed there’s a chemical imbalance with autistic kids and I’m taking Pippi’s suggestion up thread and will have my son tested for MTHFR mutation, etc.
      I resisted putting my son on Meds until November, 2014.Today, my son sees an MD/Psychiatist who prescribes a form of Ritalin (Concerta). We’ve been seeing the same Doctor for 3 years and my son’s been on 36mg Concerta once per day during that entire time.Just want my son to be happy. I’m still searching for answers and solutions.Keep looking for improvements with your 5 year old.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

This is not a supplement but it is a treatment method for Autism, Autism spectrum disorders.

Welcome to Horse Boy Method – a tried and tested, scientifically proven, means of gaining communication and re-patterning the brain for people on the autism spectrum, ADD, ADHD, Anxiety and other neuro-sensory diagnoses using horses, movement, and a natural environment.

• PippiLS says:

I agree! I was a volunteer walking alongside a long-lines driven horse last year before I got so sick (much, much better now), and sometimes all the children in a family were in the program. Most of them were subsidized by government funding of some sort, and improvement in the kids was evident. So you don’t have to be rich to take advantage of this equine therapy. Blue Ridge, I repeat: you’re really good at this.

• PippiLS says:

Oscar: if your son DOES show positive for MTHFR polymorphism, especially at the C677T location, get him tested for heavy metal toxicity. Not a blood test, but a fasting urine test using a provoking agent like DMSA (I went thru a naturopath, and the test cost $60). When you can’t methylate, you can’t detox, and those metals are cumulative . So are pharmaceuticals, but there’s no test I know of to measure that type of toxicity. I found out about my extremely high levels of lead and mercury before I got the DNA test. The metal toxicity was an indicator of MTHFR.

28. Colorado Conservative says:

I have not had a chance to read all 400 posts here, but I did want to share the newest supplement added to my regimen is Protandim. It consists of two different formulations that you take 30 minutes after the other. Would highly recommend you look into it at LifeVantage. Also started Neo40 made by HumanN (a once daily supplement that increases nitric oxide levels for improving circulation.)

29. keebler AC ovfefe says:

I like this topic for treepers and President DJT too! We need to keep well for the good of the country! God gave us almost everything we need to heal and if only we had access to good research other than for-profit pharma to guide us. To be fair the medical community has no other clinical guidance as well.

Menagerie, I appreciate especially that you linked back to the healthy recipe thread. Please link this one to your next one too?

Anyone with elderly parents who have dementia, melatonin is very good around dusk to help with the common sundown syndrome where they start to get agitated as sun goes down.

30. cheryl says:

I take biotin for hair and nails and Areds 2 formula of vitamins that slows the progression of my early macular degeneration.

31. I am a 77-year-old lady. My Parkinson’s disease appeared at the age of 55. My symptoms at the beginning were fine tremors and rigidity with joint stiffness. I was taking Entacapone with Levodopa, Carbidopa, and Pramipexole. My Parkinson’s disease is not under control. I lost touch with reality.I started on Health Herbal Clinic Parkinsons Disease Herbal formula treatment in September 2016, i read alot of positive reviews on their success rate treating Parkinsons disease through their PD Herbal formula and i immediately started on the treatment. Just 7 weeks into the Herbal formula treatment I had great improvements with speech and coordination, my hand tremors seized and the stiffed, rigid muscle had succumbed. I am unbelievably back on my feet again, this is a breakthrough for all Parkinsons sufferers, visit Health Herbal Clinic official website www. healthherbalclinic. net or email info@ healthherbalclinic. net.

32. Barbara says:

Eating right for your blood type is the answer to any health problem you may have, it saved my life!
    The website has all supplement, books test kits, etc…there is even an app that has compacted food lists and much more … “Eat Right For Your Type” by Dr D’Adamo…..this is a life style change that will help you learn to enjoy food that brings healing and maximum health to your body! I’m happy to answer any questions… change your eating habits, change your gut health, change your life!!

33. Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

A good book to have on your shelf is one written by Stephen Harrod Burhner called Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections. I really enjoyed reading it and I found that his suggestion on avoiding the flu and what herbals to have on hand, to be very helpful.

Remember that your objective in your battle to combat the flu is to stop a cytokin storm and sepsis.
    In order to do this, you must keep on hand these organically grown herbals: Chinese skullcap, Rhodiola Rosa, ginger root, Quercetin as these are Neuraminidase inhibitors which are effective against Influenza A & B. Lomatium is an M2 Inhibitor. HMGB1 blockers – Steroid, and NSAIDS will not work at all. Direct inhibition of HMGB1 will be these herbals: Angelica sinesis, Salvia miltiorrhiza, Green tea EGCG inhibits HMGB1 as does Quercetin.

During a severed Influenza infection reducing HMGB1 is essential. The pharma drug Minocycline reduces HMGB1 but use in a hospital setting.
    For early onset Flu symptoms have on hand homeopathic Oscillococcinum, take this as soon as you have symptoms. Echinacea angustiflolia tincture, red root, licorice in equal parts full dropperful every hour every day until symptoms resolve.

At the beginning of each flu season juice organic ginger root. Keep this in the back of your refrigerator. Drink some if you feel a tickle in your throat.

34. I like https://www.consumerlab.com/ because they test supplements and report how they fared. Some of the info is free, some behind a paywall. I subscribe and find it comforting to know an independent someone is looking at these supplements. They have well researched articles on them too.

35. D Carnahan says:

Not a supplement per se but worth a mention. I’ve been using the “Water Smacker” for a month now and am very impressed. It’s really done wonders for my achy joints, regularity in the morning, alertness, stamina and mental concentration. I’ve got some pretty worn down joints from my years playing sports. My knees haven’t felt so good and smooth in years (played catcher from age 9 to 20 causing Chondromalacia). The key to the water smacker is that it negatively charges and micro-clusters your drinking water in a unique way using the natural Schumann 7.5hz frequency. With this process is brings up quality bottled water to a higher 8 – 8.5 Ph (alkaline) than it is off-the-shelf. In essence, I get the improvement of charged water (for better/deeper cleansing) but it literally enhances the Ph of $1/gallon of Crystal Geyser to that just shy of a $3.25/gallon of Alkaline88. I first came across it by way of Bill Still’s youtube commentaries. watersmacker.com

36. PippiLS says:

Blue Ridge, you are astonishingly knowledgeable about so much! I find I am scanning thru these posts just to find your replies. Are you an ND, or simply an exhaustive researcher of your own health problems (Lyme disease?) who has compiled in-depth data on just about everything along the way? Either way, my hat’s off to you!

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Thanks! PippiLS. I ran an independent Lyme and Fibromyalgia Support Group for over ten years. And now I have had to quit holding physical meetings in favor of providing information. I put up a Lyme display each May for Lyme Awareness month. For many years since I personally became aware of Alpha Gal mammal allergy caused by the bite of the Lone Star Tick, I have put up info on that too. So the town librarians know if they get somebody looking for answers, I get those calls. Or emails. I do a lot of reading. I have my own treatment protocol. For many years I was misdiagnosed as having Fibromyalgia, and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

37. suejeanne1 says:

Hi – I just realized this thread was here – a good subject!

I don’t know if anyone will see this suggestion, but if at least one person does, maybe it will help you someday or help someone you care about –

B-150 Complex and Bursitis

Bursitis – when you first come down with it if you don’t know what it is, you could think you have ten different possibly horrible things – then you go to the doctor and find out fortunately that it isn’t any of those awful things, you just have bursitis – bursa – that are irritated – something to do with the sympathetic nervous system – you can feel it perhaps in the middle of one of your shoulder blades, then over your shoulder, down your arm – the pain may arise curiously more so when you go to do a small movement, grasping the salt shaker from the pantry, lifting your arm in a certain way, sitting in too-cold air-conditioning (you find yourself squeezing your forearm, to squeeze out the aching pain). It is not like cancer or diabetes or some other serious illness, but you can harm your body over the long run If you over-use aspirin or other pain relievers and then you have some real problems down the road.

This is from purely personal experience – that of my Mother’s, mine and many friends and family members who have tried it –

Take one B-150 Complex tablet in the morning and take one B-150-Complex tablets in the evening
    Be sure to drink plenty of water before, during and after taking the tablets
    Do this for four days
    Stop after you have completed the four days
    Do not stop until you have completed the four days even it the bursitis seems to have gone away
    If after you have completed the four days the bursitis symptoms persist, start another round but not right away.
    Allow several days – maybe three to five days – to elapse before starting another round of four daysj

It has been my experience that that the symptoms seem to lift away on the third day
    Sometimes you will have a recurrence of bursitis symptoms – perhaps the night air was unexpectedly cold and you awaken with an aching shoulder that was not covered – or you were overexerting, doing yard work – follow the instructions above – always keep enough B-150’s on hand in case you need to do a couple of rounds of it.

Mom and I buy our B-150 complex at GNC – make sure you get the “B-150” – not “B-50” or “B-100” – for some reason, we do not know, the person who told Mom about this many years ago emphasized the importance of “B-150” – even though of course you could take the smaller sizes in sufficient quantities to equal 150, it would not work as well – but I suppose if you absolutely could not find the 150’s, maybe the 50’s and 100’s would work – better than nothing!

Now, the person who told Mom about this was the lady at the television repair shop in our town – that indicates how long ago that was! Dad had put the tv (one of the smaller black and white tv’s) in the back of Mom’s Lincoln and she commented to the lady behind the counter that she needed someone to get it out for her (of course they would, part of the service) . . . Mom told the lady that she had come down with bursitis and was just miserable and that’s when she found out about the B-150’s (fortunately, there was a nice health food store around the corner).

I had come down with bursitis years later and at that time, my doctor prescribed Feldene which I understand can take a toll on your system over the years – like taking big doses of aspirin – and it did not really make a dent in the bursitis.

Make sure you KNOW that it isn’t some other horrible thing that is going on – as they say, if this is an emergency, call 911 – but if you found out from the doc that you have bursitis and you have been pretty miserable with it, try the B-150’s. If you can, it is nice to start off your treatment with bundling yourself up with a nice hot water bottle (or hot pack – we bought at the store – you boil them in water and then activate them as needed) after you take your first B-150 – conk out a natural
    and let the warmth sink in, try to not get a chill again in your shoulders while you are working on this).

Best wishes!

38. Supplements I take now: “opti-energy pack” by the brand “SuperNutrition” you can find it on Amazon or Ebay or other places. It actually seems to get absorbed and isn’t too expensive.

I also can recommend anything by the folks at “Biotics Research” and “Standard Process” they are legit.

Also the godfather of nutritional research is Dr. Joel Wallach, he founded the supplement line “American Longevity” although I think they are called “American Youngevity” now. That stuff is also legit and also expensive. Look into his research he has DOCUMENTED the nutritional deficiencies that cause most major illnesses.

Look up Dr. Tent at Diversified Health Services he is on the internet and has an extensive youtube library, much information on nutrition.

I really don’t think the cheap synthetic vitamins do anything and may be more trouble than they are worth.

• Also regarding FOOD – Look up the full video on Youtube called “Fat Head” and then dive wholeheartedly into the rabbit trail that will lead you on.

I can’t recommend enough the “Low Carb” or “Keto” or “Atkins” way of eating. The insidious contamination of sugars and hidden (and not hidden) carbohydrates in our food is killing us. Go to Reddit r/keto and check it out.

39. The Truth says:

Blood flow, blood flow, blood flow…….. this medical device (FDA category 2) is a partner of NASA and is used to increase blood flow (good nutrients in, bad wastes out) on your entire body and on specific problem areas. It is a miracle device. Not cheap ($5900), but worth every penny. Bemergroup.com

40. Bulletproof Coffee is the greatest thing I’ve discovered. It works every time. Brain Octane Oil, Chocolate powder, Butter, Coffee. Google it.

Especially for men who don’t typically like to eat before lunchtime.

• Blue Ridge Mts Va. says:

Seems like bulletproof coffee is from the “Eat Fat and Get Thin” diet. Oh, how I miss the butter. A good dairy substitute would be the So Delicious Culinary Coconut milk for coffee and also use organic, or non-GMO coconut butter.

And if you can have butter, make sure it is from grass fed cows, not from CAFO dairy cows.

41. dianeax says:

I find The World’s Healthiest Foods website http://www.whfoods.com very helpful in determining the nutritional value of the foods we should and shouldn’t be eating.

42. I work for a natural doctor and physician grade supplements are the best. Metagenics, Biotics, Integrative Therapeutics, Neuro Science, just to name a few that you can get on Amazon. As one ages there are many reasons why it is harder to absorb the nutrients, so it is really best to be under the guidance of someone who has been educated in the proper doses. As far as vit. D3 is concerned, you must take K2 with it to send the D3 to your bones and teeth. Optimal levels in the blood are between 60-100. This is really important to keep cancer away. There are hundreds of other important things to know to get to optimal health. Everybody is different, so it is important for one to research this for himself.

43. Bluejay says:

I would like to pass my own personal experience on. I had sciatic nerve pain down my legs due to periformis syndrome for the past 4 years. I took tramadal first but had to stop and then took gabapentin and also went to physical therapy. The pain was daily and the gabapentin relieved it temporarily during the day and l would have to take it 3 times a day. As soon as I stared walking in the morning the pain would start after 10 or 20 steps. I started taking yoders good health recipe supplement and within a week I noticed my pain did not start in the morning as usual. I cut back on the gabapentin and quit taking it altogether in 2 weeks. No pain now for 2 months. I don’t know how it will work for anyone else but it worked fo me. If it would help just one person with this terrible pain it would be a blessing.

44. chowgirl says:

For a high density multi I’ve found Now Foods Liquid Multi Gels to be unsurpassed.
    Check out the label!
    If there’s a better one out there, I would appreciate the information.
    Best price is at Amazon. I get the 180 count. Really trust this brand.

45. Sam Houston says:

Don’t trust just anybody when it comes to supplements. We own a supplement company and know the good and the bad when it comes to manufacturers. Buyer beware. Do your research. I want it to remain an unregulated entity, but I would also like people to be aware that they should ALWAYS look into a manufacturer. For more active Treepers I highly recommend Ntel Pharma. Owned by a Marine, quality supplements, and decent prices.

46. thesitrep says:

It is better to eat a 1800-2000 cal per day of pork chops, Pop-Tart and Twinkies
    than
    3500 per day of “Health Food”.
    ~Aelius Galenus 200AD

47. BeePee says:

I take a high quality iron free multi and omega 3 plus 10,000 iu vitamin D plus vitamin K and a bit of extra Vitamin A to antagonize the K. So therefore magnesium to balance the calcium metabolizing of the D, K & A. Also usually some extra iodine.

48. ParadigmShift says:

Two of my favorite quotes from in regards to supplements & nutrition are, ” Let food by thy medicine and medicine be thy food” – Hippocrates. Also, ” If man made it, don’t eat it. If it tastes good then spit it out.” Jack LaLanne. Bearing in mind as Sundance and others have pointed out, that the same multi-national corporations that control our food supply also have their hands in big Pharma as well. I don’t believe they want ppl to be cured as the treatment for said ailments/diseases are more profitable. A few things to keep in mind when shopping for a supplement are :
    Firstly, keep in mind that just because a multivitamin or supplement is recommended by the sales person at your local shop that they’re getting an incentive to sell ‘their’ brand. Doesn’t mean quality.
    Second, the LESS PROCESSED the better. This goes for 3 of my favorite supplements such as Apple Cider Vinegar and Raw Milk from grass fed cows, as well as valierian root to help you sleep. I only recommend supplements to my clients that I train at the gym that I’ve seen work as the supplement industry isn’t regulated by the FDA ( YET ) although our buddy McCain has been pushing for this for the past 2 + decades.
    Apple Cider Vinegar ( ACV ) is amazing! Only get organic, unfiltered and unpasterized kind with the ‘Mother’ sediment in it. Pasterization destroys many of the trace enzymes and vitamins such as potassium, sulphur, iron, and the B1, 2 and 6. I’ve personally witnessed Jock Itch cured in 3 days w/o the use of anti-fungal cremes. In addition one of my clients’ cholesterol and blood pressure dropped significantly. BRAGG’S is the brand that I trust most.
    One of my friends used the Raw Milk to treat his arthritis in about 2 weeks w/o the use of drugs.
    You can find info about Raw Milk here. They also have a page where you can find local trusted sources.
    Valerian root pills are what I use when I have trouble sleeping at night.
    The companies that I’ve learned to trust the most are : Douglas Laboratories, DHEA and vitamin products. Braggs ( ACV ), and Dymatize Nutrition.