Open Post For Supplements And Nutrition Tips

Back in July, at the request of some of our regular Treepers, we did a post on healthy recipe favorites. You can find that post here, if you are interested. Many people were happy to contribute, and I think a lot of us found some new favorite recipes to try, and perhaps a little assistance and motivation to improve our health.

Today I am starting a thread for information on supplements, and favorite nutrition tips. What vitamins and supplements do you take, if any, and for what medical conditions? It would be especially helpful to share sources, especially if you have found quality products at a good price.

There is a lot of confusion as to what to take and where to buy it. I remain skeptical of cheap drugstore brands.

I recently had this site recommended to me as a research tool.  Perhaps you guys have other sources for good information out there.

Later, if there is interest in it, we may do a post on exercise, and favorite products or types of physical activity. Any tips or ideas for future posts will be welcome in the comments.

Thanks for pitching in, and we look forward to educating ourselves.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

487 Responses to Open Post For Supplements And Nutrition Tips

1. Citizen Kane says:

I have never felt better than after a 3 to 5 day juice cleanse regime……………….wow.

Juicing everyday would be the one big change I would make in my daily routine.

2. Alison says:

There is no substitute for sensible diet & exercise. Studies show the vast majority of us overeat. I know I feel much better since I’ve changed to snacking/grazing throughout the day & eliminated meals. Far too much of socializing centers around food.

I caution all of you taking supplements/oils to be sure you check contra-indications with any prescribed medications & tell your doctor everything you use/eat that you consider ‘medicinal’. There can be adverse or negating impacts.

I have taken an amino acid in capsule form (NOW brand) for decades because my digestive problems manifested as cankers & very painful lesions in my mouth & on tongue. The L-Lysine worked to virtually eliminate that symptom & taking it regularly works. If I get a flareup, I up my dose till they go away.

3. Deusvult says:

Best is to eat all the healthy plants, fruited and greens.
    With supplements it’s easy to imbalance the body as many supplements need other vitamins and co factors etc. for the body to use them.
    Plants do tend to have enzymes and co factors already in the needed combination.

But with depleted soils etc. it still makes sense to check which repeating body problems could point to a need to supplement.
    Then it is important to check if the supplementation works and isn’t imbalancing the homeostasis of the body. Too much magnesium can lower calcium or too much iron vit.c and vice versa.
    But vitamin C is interesting as we can’t produce or store it like other species ourselves.

Whenever I feel really bad I take several times vitamin c a day. Stress can deplete it.
    10 times the daily dosage vitamin c is no problem for some days.

• kate says:

I have also used vitamin c to fight the beginning of tooth pain and stress, it really does help.

• pyromancer76 says:

In my research, I have found that Vit C does have boosting-the-immune system properties if kept relatively steady in blood stream at 500 mg. Any more it is simply excreted. Less is not the amount needed. I take 500 mg tables five times per day, spaced out if I get a virus. Does it work? I don’t know. I think it lessens symptoms and length of illness.

I will try to find the research citations; I don’t have time at present.

• Tom says:

Linus Pauling also noted that you cannot test the amount of vitamin C by the amount excreted. Read up on the “dynamic flow” hypothesis http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/12154.php

A new scientific theory, called the dynamic flow model, explains all the observed responses to vitamin C in the literature. This model is described in the book “Ascorbate”, mentioned above. According to the model, people should ideally be in a state of dynamic flow, which means they should ingest more vitamin C than they need, in the form of divided dose supplements. The extra ascorbate flows through the body and is excreted in the urine. It is not wasted, however, as the excess acts as a reservoir when extra vitamin C is required. Dynamic flow is the closest we humans can get to restoring our physiology to how it was before we lost the ability to make vitamin C in our bodies, as most other animals still do.

• piper567 says:

Linus Pauling once said you can take Vitamin C until you develop diarrhea and then titrate yourself back from that dosage.
      I agree with Deusvult; the resultant dosage is sometimes 10X what is indicated anywhere as therapeutic.
      Also, some people still smoke cigarettes, and each time a person smokes a cigarette, the equivalent of 25mg of Vitamn C is removed from the store…If this is true, smokers who do not adequately compensate operate at a deficit: not a good thing.
      Guinea pigs and people are the only species who do not mfg Vitamin C, which is one reason Guinea Pigs were once used so extensively in biological research.

• piper567 says:

Linus Pauling once said you can take Vitamin C until the dosage produces diarrhea, and then titrate yourself back from that dosage.
      I agree with Deusvult: sometimes the resultant dosage is 10X what is considered to be reasonable
      Some people still smoke tobacco, and each smoke removes the equivalent of 25mg of Vitamin C from the system…if its present. if not, a “deficit” is resultant….not good…from a store of antioxidant pt of view.

4. Delilah says:

If you’re trying to get away from using too many chemicals on your body, use leeks for a bug spray. You’ll smell like onions, but it’s still a better option than Off Bug Spray.

5. RipleysMom says:

There is a very informative site for those of us living with frequent or chronic utis. It has broken the cycle of endless antibiotics, in my case, using a combination of supplements and items from the grocery store. Of course, I trust Treepers know when it is time to see the dr.! http://pantrypharmacy.com/

6. nyetneetot says:

I hear some admins on this blog are big on vitamin water.

7. Kalena says:

http://Www.landmarkstudy.com is a peer reviewed clinical study of the benefits of supplements. It was done 10 years ago. Impressive findings.

8. Nigella says:

I take B-12 and Co Q 10

9. kallibella says:

Hello Treepers! It’s been a long time since I’ve commented…

Anyway, I take supplements at the direction of my doctor, a Functional Medicine trained physician.
    He diagnosed me with leaky gut, dysbiosis and the most troubling of the diagnosis was insulin resistance, the beginning stage of Type II Diabetes.

For these three diagnosis, he prescribed a low starch diet, mainly a ketogenic diet. A keto lifestyle is based on tons of vegetables, low sugar fruits, not more that 4 to 6 oz of good quality protein per meal and the majority of the calories from healthy fats like butter from cows that are grass-fed, coconut oil, bacon, avocado/avocado oil. The calories from fat are upwards of 70%.

To heal the leaky gut I took L-Glutamine powder and soil-based probiotics. I also ate homemade sauerkraut, and kimchi. This also took care of the microbiome disorder, or dysbiosis, where I had an extreme lack of beneficial species and what I had was insufficient in numbers to perform the functions we all need them to preform in the gut, such as sealing the gut.

He prescribed only one medication, a compounded medication, that modulates the function of the immune system, which eventually lessened the other symptoms I had that originated in the leaky gut condition.

For my insulin resistance, he recommended to stick to the keto diet, and to do Intermittent Fasting so as to sensitize the cells to lower levels of insulin.

The supplements I continue to take, and will take for the rest of my life are: a good quality Fish Oil with at least 1600 mg of Omega-3 fatty acids; Vitamin D3 of at least 5,000 IU; Non-fortified nutritional yeast for the B complex vitamin and amino acids; magnesium 200 mg; Prescript-Assist soil based probiotics.

My doctor also recommended I switched from doing prolonged cardio workouts to High Intensity Interval Training or Tabata workouts, which are short in duration but very intense and produce an after burn of more than 12 hours. This style of activity increases Human Growth hormone and also preserves muscle cells. This workout is so intense that only once or twice a week is enough to provide the benefits. Sessions are not more than 20 minutes.

I have regained my health. Energy level is through the roof! Sleep well. No cravings at all. And I am down more than 30 pounds in 4 months and still losing!

I hope this information is helpful to whomever is struggling with Metabolic Syndrome.
    Many blessings to all! 🙂

• cycle1 says:

My diet is very similar to yours. Agree 100% regarding the benefits of sauerkraut for digestion. Also an oil that I have a lot of is olive oil. Even if you do not like the taste of olive oil normally, if you get “extra light” it does not have the taste some do not prefer. Olive oil is very good for digestion and can have effects similar to castor oil as far as digestion goes.

• kallibella says:

I agree about olive oil. I do have lots of it in my diet. I just forgot to include it in my comment 🙂

• Be very careful of brand of olive oil.
          Many are not pure and most from Italy are not really olive oil. There are some very good brands. Costco has good stuff, the smaller glass bottle especially , Temecula olive oil (look online), a brand called California olive oil (right from tree to bottle in one day) The fetching Mrs Coveyouthband was in that business for some time and learned much .

• Also it has an expiration …. about 10 months I believe….

• piper567 says:

in order to receive the full benefits of olive oil, it must not only be virgin, but must be cold pressed.
            If you are a label hawk, you will find that this is generally a tad more expensive…Brand is not so important, as Italian Olive Oil is regulated, and in order to be labelled Cold Pressed, it actually has to be cold pressed…. shocking I tell you, shocking.
            Those of you who are oil junkies, be it Walnut oil, Primrose oil, Flaxseed oil, Oregano oil, or whatever, know that cold pressed oils retain the essence of the oil, which is the point of using oils.
            Hot pressing, which is faster and therefore cheaper, is the norm for “the cheap stuff” carried in quantity by grocery chains.
            If you think ab it, the heat alters the chemistry of the oil: that’s what heat does.

• kallibella says:

Agree. I always seek out fresh olive oil. California has some good ones. Try to buy early in the year right after fall harvest.

• The ketogenic diet pretty much saved my life. Last November I was sick as a dog, I was up all night vomiting. My wife decided to take my blood sugar (which was nearly 500), and I went to the ER to get those numbers down and got some fluid in me.

I decided that I never EVER wanted to feel that sick again, so I began a ketogenic diet. That was last November, and today I’m down 75 lbs. My A1C was 8.9 in November, well within full-blown diabetic territory, and today it’s down to 5.4. Feels so good, the wife and I are both happily sticking to this type of eating.

• kallibella says:

Awesome!!! I wish you continued success and prolonged good health.
        I will remain Keto for the rest of my life. It’s so doable and once the body adapts to burning fat as its primary fuel, losing weight is almost effortless.
        I eat tons of vegetables and do great on them with my digestion. I watch starches though, because those make me feel very lethargic and I have trouble digesting them.
        🙂

• blognificentbee says:

Whoa! Amazingly my, congrats! I just heard a lengthy discussion of A1C levels, which I had not previous known about. Doc said to walk 2 miles every day, 7xwewk. Day 3 is tomorrow!

• be says:

The above is a naturopathic doctor. ND
      This link has very good explanations on L-Glutamine and other compounds for healing the gastrointestinal lining.
      We take L-Glutamine and Zinc Carnosine along with Digest Gold by Enzymedica and magnesium by Jigsaw Health. We take other vitamins but these are for digestion and everyone needs magnesium. We also eat well and exercise.

• be says:

We also take slippery elm … but not within 2 hours of other medicine. 🙂

• kallibella says:

With my health issues, I have learned that most of what ails us can be resolved with good nutrition. Everybody is different and will react differently to diets and supplements, but if there is one thing that has become very obvious is that our Standard American Diet (SAD) is indeed very bad for anybody’s health. The consumption of factory foods, though convenient in our rushed lifestyle, is what is robbing the American population of health and vitality.
        Even children are presenting health symptoms due to the high sugar/high factory food diet.
        Just changing what we eat what greatly benefit our health. Saves money. Prolongs health.

• Rosie says:

Thank you for sharing your ketogenic story. My husband and I also live a ketogenic lifestyle. We were long-time low carbers, but decided to kick it up a notch after reading about the benefits of ketogenic eating.

We take a variety of supplements. Both of us take ceylon cinnamon capsules (amazing health benefits) and krill oil. I also take NOW digestive enzymes, a probiotic every day, CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), Vitamin D, natural Vitamin A from fish oil, and Kyolic brand garlic supplements for garlic’s many health benefits. My husband takes Vitamin C.

I also walk 3 miles 3-4 times per week and work out with weights 1-2 times per week. I’m 58 and feel terrific. We enjoy eating ketogenic — it’s easy and good. We are always satisfied.

10. Roy says:

Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM miracle supplement for joint problems/pain, seems to help knee problems, tennis elbow, etc. If I stop using it, joint pains return. I know a guy who has been taking it for 20+ yrs, no ill effects.

• Emily Summer says:

MSM puffs me up and upsets my stomach, although it takes away the pain of Arthritis. Now I use Turmeric with pepper and Vitamin C (6000mg/day) and for same effect. Turmeric for lungs, too

• Indimex says:

It is available in a topical cream or gel, too. If you want to try it again without the GI effects. I have tried it for a few minor joint injuries with mild effectiveness.

• piper567 says:

Indimex,
          A great point. Topical application of anything that may be absorbed through the skin is the way to go for many systemic issues (obviously not for therapy needed by a specific organ/destination).
          Please be aware that Compounding Pharmacies are now available in many regions, and most MDs are amenable to this option, but it nearly always needs to be requested.
          Also, bc they are Rx, topicals are available in potencies not available on you local Pharmacy’s shelves.. Many times this simple increase in potency is the difference between what is available OTC (over the counter, i.e, non-prescription) and a therapeutic dosage.

• TheLastDemocrat says:

MSM gives me a headache.
        (humor)

11. Delilah says:

Are you overeating? It’s probably your body telling you something.

The longer a vegetable has been plucked off the vine, the more vitamins and minerals it loses. The most optimal time for reaping the vitamins and minerals from any fruit or vegetable is within two hours off the vine. After that, it goes downhill fast.

Then once you cook it, that depletes even more vitamins and minerals.

So if you find yourself hungry an hour after eating, it’s probably your body telling you, yeah, ummm, that was a swell meal, but I still didn’t get enough vitamins and minerals to do my job correctly, so now I’m telling you you’re hungry again. It’s called empty calories.

Back to Eden Gardening by Paul Gautschi (He’s not pushing a product. It’s just some guy that uses the Bible to understand gardening): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM_gtZb8qyk

• Love Paul!! Second year with laying mulch and vegetables are doing better and better. I chase tree trimming trucks down the road and beg for them. Have a small mountain of them now. It really works.

12. janc1955 says:

I take several supplements throughout the day – so many, in fact, that it’s embarrassing to fill out paperwork with a new doctor or for hospital admittance! I won’t list them all, but I can absolutely vouch for a daily probiotic (I’ve taken many different brands over the years), especially during and after a round of antibiotics. Antibiotics kill both good and bad bacteria. Probiotics reseed the gut with good bacteria, which is essential to good health, as the vast majority of our immune system resides in the gut.

The supplements I take that show up on yearly blood work are vitamin D3 (I take 4,000 IU/day) and vitamin B12 (in spray form, under the tongue). I also swear by glucosamine w/MSM + krill oil for creaky joints, and milk thistle (I use Nature’s Way Thisilyn) for liver support. The liver is one of the main organs of detoxification in the body, and especially as we age, it could use an assist.

I do take a few prescription meds, a couple of which worry me (asthma inhaler, steroid nasal spray), however, I take Nature-Throid for low thyroid – it’s a natural T3+T4 hormone, not synthetic, as well as a bio-identical hormone cream – also not synthetic. After decades on the highest dose of the dreaded Premarin synthetic estrogen, I was very relieved to learn about bio-identical hormones.

I should also mention that my total cholesterol has been over 200 for as long as I can remember, but the HDL and the LDL were in a good range, so it wasn’t really a problem. I’m also not overweight – never have been – whole family is lean. About 18 months ago a couple of events in my life made me decide to return to the gym after a 10 year absence (OUCH), and I switched my usual lunch of cheese+crackers and red grapes to a leafy green salad w/veggies. As an unintended but delightful consequence of those two changes, I dropped my total cholesterol 40 points, from 210 in August 2015 to 170 in October 2016.

I think I proved to myself that what I eat, and physical movement (not just cleaning the house, which was my only form of exercise for many years!), are foundational in staying healthy. I’m grateful to have supplements and meds, as necessary, available, but I think a back-to-basics approach is the best place to start.

• Lburg says:

I’m taking care of my mom right now – she’s 88 and has four major surgeries in 4 years. While she doesn’t take a ton of medication, the ones she does take are listed with dosages, times of day, who prescribed them and for what symptom. If there’s ever a run for the hospital or same day MD appointment, I print a copy of the list and go.

It worked especially well recently when there was an ambulance run……

As meds are discontinued or added, I just update the list. Make sure that the list is dated, too, and do a ‘save as’ rather than just a regular save so you can keep track of what version you’re on.

13. paulraven1 says:

My paternal grandmother was a health food fanatic and early proponent of vitamins. So my father raised us with this mindset as well. Not a lot of dairy and very little sugar as children, lots of fruits, whole grains and generally good eating habits. As a kid, this can be difficult. But in the end, it worked out. Today I just eat what I know is good and this makes me feel healthy in every sense. Every body is different and you need to find what works for you. I have come to believe after much trial and error that the Chinese have the best approach to food and life, i.e., yin and yang; they break down the properties of foods (hot, cold, dry, sour, sweet, heavy, etc.) to match your own body type. They don’t condemn any food, they simply try to understand them for what they are, and how they might fit for your particular body. I recommend any book on the Chinese approach. I especially recommend “Healing with Whole Foods — Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition” by Paul Pitchford. This has proved an invaluable resource for me — far better than any cookbook (and it also has recipes). It is a kind of food and eating and healthy lifestyle bible

• Interesting point about people being different and having a relaxed attitude towards life.

My husband is 64 years old and is on no prescription mediation for anything.

He has normal blood sugar and blood pressure but is a bit over weight.

His diet is here there and every where but he usually eats fairly well.

His dental health is excellent.

He worked in banking and lending for 40 years which is a pretty high pressure job without any kind of health decline that a lot of his colleagues suffered from.

I think a lot of his good health comes from genes and a lot from his attitude.

Lie you say paulraven, eat what you know is good for you.

Find out what works for you.

This is a very good thread for helping people that need a little help.

And a good reminder to relax a bit and enjoy life.

Love the Jack Daniels water cooler!

14. Bob says:

First let me state that I am not a doctor and have no formal medical training. I am merely sharing my thoughts here. So keep that in mind and ask your doctor to be sure.

All of us should keep track of our cholesterol levels. Some of us will have more vulnerability in this area than others. It is a generic issue as well as diet and exercise, and of course age. This may be related to the diet and exercise. I think most people that have a problem keeping cholesterol levels within acceptable limits probably take statins. There are supplements that can be taken as alternatives to these prescribed statins.

One is red yeast rice. I don’t think this is a realistic alternative. Red yeast rice is natural statin, and as with prescribed statins, you need to have your liver monitored for adverse effects. The most disconcerting thing about red yeast rice, as far as I am concerned, is that it is processed and marketed by more than one company. Because of that you have no way of knowing just how much statin you are getting per dose. So, for me, if you are thinking of using red yeast rice you might as well just get a prescription for statins from your doctor and have him monitor your blood levels to watch for adverse effects on your liver.

Another alternative to “prescribed” stains is niacin. It is said that niacin may be more effective for some people than others. One of the problems with niacin is that some people have adverse effects from its use such as heat flashes or flushing. I think this can vary from person to person and of course dosage. There is a type of niacin that seems to fairly well alleviate this effect. It is Slow Niacin. Slow Niacin has a time release in it that allows it to be absorbed over a more extended period. That tends to reduce this heat flash or flushing effect.

I don’t believe that niacin is as effective for lowering cholesterol levels as prescribed statins but, coupled with diet and exercise, I think it may be a favorable substitute for prescribes statins. Of course cutting down on dairy foods as well as processed foods with high levels of cholesterol and saturated fats is also very effective if not healthier than taking statins to avoid self discipline. Personally I think a little wine each evening is also very effective! All of these things combined may be a healthier way of keeping cholesterol levels in the acceptable range than just popping statins.

Keep in mind that you can buy your own cholesterol monitor fairly inexpensively so you can regularly monitor how effective your efforts really are.

• adoubledot says:

Thanks for that, Bob, especially making me aware that I could buy my own monitor.

My cholesterol has been consistently in the low to mid 200s for years and I have refused to take statins because of the risk of cooking my liver, but wow, I didn’t know red yeast rice had the same effect. I’ve been talking that for about 6 months now, but I feel fine. If there are any effects on the liver, what would they be? Niacin gave me hot flashes, but if necessary I’ll consider the slow kind.

I have also been sure to consistently eat blueberries, avocados, walnut, extra virgin olive and coconut oils and oat bran or oat fiber, plus I’m in the gym about 3 days a week and have lost 15 lbs. in 3 months. Actually heading to the lab tomorrow for a lipid panel, so fingers crossed.

• Indimex says:

Hi Bob, I can’t speak to the efficacy of the supplements that you mentioned; but, I would caution people to seriously consider the side effects of statin drugs before agreeing to take them. Not only are the known side effects quite serious, a significant portion of our brains are made of cholesterol. Taking a cholesterol blocking medication, in my opinion, may very well increase the incidence of dementia. I am not a physician. I have been an RN for over twenty years and have seen plenty of anecdotal evidence of significant improvement with memory and generalized brain function, after discontinuation of a statin drug.
      Not under any circumstance would I take a statin, or permit anyone close to me,, to take one. High dose Ubiquinone (Co-Q10), IMO, is the single best supplement one can take for cardiovascular health.

• Kaco says:

My father has vascular dementia and has been on Crestor for years. I’ve taken him off his antacid, Pantoprazole, due to recent studies. He has a history of a stomach bleed a few years ago. He’s had a double bypass, high blood pressure, and a couple heart attacks the past few years, he has cardiovascular disease. But his dementia is slowly getting worse as time goes on. I wonder if the Crestor is more fuel on the fire. He is also on the Niaspan that was mentioned.

• Kaco says:

My father is on the brand Niaspan. It now needs pre-authorization and is very expensive for him now. I was told by his doctor it is the only one that prevents flushing.

• Colorado Conservative says:

Absolutely disagree with you about statin drugs. Would recommend reading The Cholesterol Myths. Another good blog is Dr. Brownstein who has a book out called The Statin Disaster.

15. McBain says:

Be leery of magic pills. Supplements have a very poor track record when it comes to actual proof they do any good. I stopped taking vitamins years a go.

I give my dog glucosomine/chondroitin for his joint issues and sometimes take it myself for my pain. However, there really isn’t any good scientific research that stuff works. I just know I took it years ago, made some other changes, and my knee pain went away. Was it the pills, the other changes, or something else?

I used to take fish oil to prevent heart disease but the studies just don’t back it up. Most people, including me, are lazy when it comes to nutrition. We sacrifice quality for efficiency then look for magic pills to fix things.

• tgmccoy says:

I have a Degree in Biology. Wife was almost killed by a “Pill Doctor.”
      We are both in our golden years and take no Prescription meds.
      except her thyroid med. I pass my second class flight physical every year.
      You have to go your homework, those “magic pills” do work…
      Saved my wife from dying of Lyme…
      Those studies are usually dome for and by Big Pharma…

16. RipleysMom says:

Severe leg cramps. I am talking cramps that bring tears to the eyes. If you are lucky, and lab work shows you are low in magnesium, potassium, etc,, supplementation corrects the problem. If not, Hylands leg cramp formula is a Godsent. Will not prevent, but will stop a cramp within minutes. I keep it at my bedside, in my purse, in my car. Nothing else works and multiple drs. had nothing to offer. http://www.hylands.com/products/hylands-leg-cramps?gclid=CMf3reLzn9YCFQmraQodUHMBcA

• tgmccoy says:

Magnesium glycenate -very mild -at night helps too (hylands is great..)

• forjava1 says:

Here’s cramp stuff I learned over more than half a century of trial and error.
      Under your “etc.” there is calcium!
      There may be absorption inefficiency. To fix this:
      -Don’t give up on calcium
      -Try all different formats
      -Take with an equal amount of magnesium; other minerals are a good idea but marginal
      -For major help, try prescription quantity of Vitamin D2 (50,000 IU); will help big time with absorption
      -Take calcium before going to bed, before major exercise, before a car trip
      -Too much calcium not a problem in the short run, during experimentation
      -Swimming and cramps don’t mix
      -Do all the above together

BTW, got nightmares? Body may be sending a message.
      Banish them with calcium at bedtime.

• Hillbilly Sailor says:

I had a thyroidectomy several years ago and there was damage to parathyroid(s). I have to take calcium supplements and discovered the magnesium is helpful. Still struggling with levothyroxine and finding right dosage but once I added the magnesium I have fewer hand cramps/ muscle spasms.

• Hillbillysailor says:

• I had bad leg cramps and started taking magnesium. I take 4 of these a day, the recommended dose. No cramps. I can skip a day but the second day I will get cramps back that night. Jigsaw Health – Magnesium w/Slow Release Technology, I also take a 99mg Potassium a day to avoid cramps.

I notice no one has mentioned Longevinex or Advantage. I wouldn’t go without these. I use Advantage because it adds hyaluronan gel and lutein/zeaxanthin. Being on this companies mailing list is a plus. They regularly send relevant research via newsletters.

I think anyone over 45 should be thinking about avoiding macular degeneration by using a vitamin designed for that purpose based on the AREDS study https://nei.nih.gov/amd/summary . Some of these have additional vitamins and omit any need for a multi vit.

I take Boron & (Chromium & Vandium) daily. They have made a big difference in my nails, takes several months and one day you say, Wow!, my nails are not soft and ridged anymore. Tumeric, Cinnamon and extra C. And I hate pills!

17. Rich Hahn says:

Let me recommend The End of Alzheimer’s by Dr Dale Bredesen. The chances of any of us getting Alzheimer’s is getting close to 50%. This book goes over what you can do to prevent and even reverse Alzheimer’s.

It lists the labs you need to get, the diet that is helpful, and the supplements you need to take. Even if you are one of the few who won’t be touched in some way by Alzheimer’s, the book is a great road map for making your senior years as productive and enjoyable as possible.

• Spencer's Mom says:

Apparently, a person can develop “dementia” from a variety of causes – only one of which is Alzheimers Disease!

A person can also get Vascular Dementia (similar causes as those that lead to heart disease), and dementia from other sources – such as Lewy Body dementia (as sometimes seen in Parkinson’s Disease patients), etc.

But as far as actual Alzheimer’s Disease (AD) goes, a person can easily be tested by his physician (by a simple blood test) to see if he is at high risk for genetic causes ( depending upon which APOE alleles he inherits). A person will inherit 2 of the following alleles, one from each parent: APOE-2, APOE-3, and/or APOE-4.

Those with the APOE-4 gene are most susceptible – but good healthy diet and lifestyle (exercise, etc.) can help a person avoid AD, even if the patient does have the APOE-4 genes.

• He’s got an interesting protocol. The results are very preliminary, as Bredesen admits, but he has had progress with the small number of patients in his studies so far. If any of you care to go “deep”, here’s the original 2014 paper he submitted before writing his book (which is for general readers).

18. illuvatar11 says:

I take Dr. Joel Wallach’s 90 nutrient product.

There are 90 known elements needed for cell reproduction and system function
    Amino acids, trace minerals, major minerals, all vitamins.

The amount of nutrients in foods has gone down consistently for centuries, with each harvest reducing the elements in the soil, unless they are fully replenished, which is rare.

19. kittycat77 says:

I take several supplements. Number one thing is magnesium. You cannot get enough mag from any vegetable that you buy today. I don’t care if it’s organic or not. One reason is that the soil does not contain enough of it like it used to. So sometimes I take Jigsaw Health Mag w/SRT. I’ve been using it for many years now. It has a sustained release on it. Another company that I really like is Innovix Labs. They care about their company and their products. I like their magnesium. At nighttime I always take it. Sometimes I do during the day instead of the Jigsaw. Innovix Labs also has good curcumin. They even won an award for their curcumin as it has a sustained release on it also.

I always take CoQ 10, Qunol, the ubiquinol kind. I’ll be back later. But I do take some MSM, the powder form for my arthritis.

• be says:

We take Jigsaw Health magnesium. It is wonderful for your muscles and your heart is your largest . We also take their Vitamin C .

• kittycat77 says:

Yes, Jigsaw Health mag is great! My husband couldn’t hardly get out of a chair, but the first time he took it, which was nighttime, he was a new person the next day. Innovix Labs magnesium glycinate is also a great form of mag, and it’s really good to take at bedtime. We also take Jigsaw Vitamin C. Another form of C that we keep around is Lypo-Spheric by Livon Labs. Read some books by Dr. Thomas Levy about vitamin C. People have reversed heart disease by high-dose IV vitamin C, killed the flu, health from pneumonia and various other things. All these are document in medical journals.

Then we take Innovix Labs Vitamin K2 MK4 + MK7. I take mine along with my vitamin D. There’s a few other things that I take occasionally.

• psadie says:

Have you tried 2 teaspoons of Organic Apple Cider Vinegar in a glass of cold water for your arthritis? The vinegar has many minerals in it.

20. KittyKat says:

A nutritional video I recently watched said to start your day with a glass of water with fresh lemon juice squeezed into it and your digestive system will thank you. I thought it would be a chore to get it down, but it is extremely pleasant. It feels much kinder to my health than starting the day with strong coffee. which I’m weaning myself from.

21. julegate says:

Mother Earth Minerals. Start with their book Secrets of Life $20.00. Explains the importance of minerals and how deficiency causes diseases. Drink good water. Eat good food and exercise.

22. dbethd says:

Has anyone used essential oils for mosquito spray? I found this online and want to try it, especially for my two younger children.

How-to Make Homemade Essential Oil Insect Repellent Spray
    Makes 4 ounces
    •2 ounces distilled or boiled water
    •1.5 ounces witch hazel or vodka
    •30 drops citronella essential oil
    •25 drops peppermint essential oil
    •15 drops tea tree essential oil
    •1 teaspoon of jojoba oil* (optional, if you add this, add only 1 ounce of vodka or witch hazel

Use a 4oz clean spray bottle. Fill with 2 oz boiled water and 1 oz witch hazel. Add 50-75 drops of one essential oil or any combination oils for a total of 50-75 drops.

Oils recommended:
    Some of many essential Oil for mosquitos: basil, peppermint, lavender, thyme, lemon eucalyptus
    Some Essential oils for ticks: grapefruit, thyme

• kiskiminetas says:

We use lavender oil for insect repellant it is very strong. Just mix some drops with water more or less depending on the amount you want to make. The mosquitoes and other insects will not bother you. They detest the smell. You can get online to buy some. We buy ours from Lavender Valley…Hood River, OR.

• Irisheyes says:

I’ve used either peppermint or lavendar essential oil for a bug repellant. Just put a few drops directly on a bandana, tie it around my neck, and no bug bites – not even on my legs. I live with “chiggers” and this works great on them.

We also use the oils for our dogs – a drop or two on their cloth collars and no problems with fleas or ticks. We had 2 dogs and one cat die of liver cancer, which our (unusually honest) vet says is now epidemic because of the toxic flea meds people are encouraged to use monthly on their pets. I will NEVER use any pesticides on my family or pets ever again!

• Kaco says:

I’ve had to break down and use Frontline a couple of times because of a flea problem that came about when my brother’s dog dropped a flea bomb on us. Otherwise I bath my dog in Buddy Wash which has the lavender and mint to keep the pests at bay. Knock on wood, it seems to work, been using on her for 10 years now.

23. 64 years ago I had rheumatic fever. I was on cod liver oil and I really couldn’t tell you the rest but it was a lot of medication. It left me with a left ventricle problem. 7 years ago it got so bad that I almost died. The cardiologist prescribed a heart medication and my heart wasn’t really responding that much to it. My ejection rate was at 35%, normal is 55% I believe. I begin eating organic foods, no processed foods, no sugar and low sodium, Begin to feel much better.
    Just lately I had to have a stress test, MRI on heart and arteries, EKG, ultrasound and the whole 9 yards of a blood test. Went back to cardiologist yesterday for follow up and he told me it really surprised him that everything including my heart is in excellent condition.
    I don’t take supplements of any kind and I give all credit to God because there have been many prayers.

24. Reality Wins says:

Stevia=Birth Control?

Paul Ehrlich – What???

John Holdren – Wonder what he was hiding?
    Note: Stevia really started being pushed during Obama’s presidency.

• Reality Wins says:

P.S. Hemlock is all natural but I wouldn’t want that in my food either!

• Reality Wins says:

One more:

Carrageenan is “all natural” black seaweed that is used to keep ingredients mixed. It causes inflammation, so much so researchers give it to lab animals so they then can test anti-inflammatory drugs. That’s how well it works at causing inflammation! It is in milk, yogurt, coffee drinks, etc and the natural foods industry uses is extensively because it’s “natural”, see hemlock above. They could take it out but they don’t want to put – shake before using – on the label saying Americans are too stupid to read it. If you are having intestinal issues, odds are it’s carrageenan. Even all natural Tom’s toothpaste has it as an ingredient. READ ALL INGREDIENTS.

• dbethd says:

Nothing surprises me anymore. I avoided this stevia just because I thought it was a fad, and didn’t care. Now I’m glad I did.

25. Delilah says:

My husband got a wellness check at his place of business. His blood pressure was high. His cholesterol was high. He was stressed.

All I did was remove all manufactured foods from our diet. Everything is made fresh. I make everything from scratch, even ketchup, steak sauce. We don’t eat out, especially not fast food. We make our own bread. The only thing we buy processed is pasta and sugar, and that’s only because we haven’t mastered pasta yet.

Within two weeks of eating like this, his blood pressure is normal, and his cholesterol is normal except for his sugared tea (he has a hard time giving that up), but it’s not at a concerning level anymore. And he’s losing weight despite not actually going on a diet.

Every once in a while, his job will bring in food from a restaurant, and he’s always paying for it for days afterwards with stomach-itis issues.

I believe people have “gluten” issues that are really just processed foods issues.

• Delilah, I believe like you. When the GMO foods started coming out in 1990 I developed food allergies. Had allergy test and at the time the only thing I was allergic to was soy. That is the only thing Monsanto was modifying at the time. I truly believe that it is because of them we have all these diseases. I also make everything from scratch.

• jsbachlover says:

That soy is good for you is one of the biggest marketing scams I can think of. It has a host of bad effects, and the more so for women because it messes with your hormones. Do a search re: bad effects of soy; lots of info. (Soy lecithin is OK; and soy sauce (for most people), as the fermentation mitigates the bad stuff.

• adoubledot says:

Delilah, if your Sampson is having a hard time giving up sugar, try substituting with organic agave nectar. It tastes a little different and it’ll sweeten, but it’s not processed.

• psadie says:

Agave nectar is a slow burn sugar so you feel full all day. I use it as a syrup on my waffle with berries.

• dbethd says:

How is this comparable to honey for substitutions in recipes?

• jsbachlover says:

EXCEPT…, agave nectar is not the healthy sugar it’s cracked up to be. Not at all. You’re MUCH better off using honey. Commercial agave nectar has more concentrated fructose than high fructose corn syrup.

“Agave nectar is not made from the sap of the yucca or agave plant but from the starch of the giant pineapple-like, root bulb. The principal constituent of the agave root is starch, similar to the starch in corn or rice, and a complex carbohydrate called inulin, which is made up of chains of fructose molecules.Technically a highly indigestible fiber, inulin, which does not taste sweet, comprises about half of the carbohydrate content of agave.

“The process by which agave glucose and inulin are converted into “nectar” is similar to the process by which corn starch is converted into HFCS. The agave starch is subject to an enzymatic and chemical process that converts the starch into a fructose-rich syrup—anywhere from 70 percent fructose and higher according to the agave nectar chemical profiles posted on agave nectar websites.” [From foodrenegade.com; but there are lots of other sites addressing this as well.]

• Delilah, I have been allergic to corn my whole life.

Read the labels on just about everything you buy from bread to canned goods and they include corn syrup.

I am not sure when our food producers started putting corn syrup in to almost every thing because my mom had to cook from scratch because of my allergies and so do I.

But there is a whole lot of just amazing junk in our “processed food”.

And I am not talking about fast food from Burger King or Taco Bell.

I have always wondered what eating this stuff your whole life will do to you.

Maybe we are all finding out now.

• PNWLifer says:

I can personally assure you that the “gluten” issue is real for many and is not about how much processed food you eat. It is absolutely about the gluten. It doesn’t matter how healthy the food with the gluten is if you have an allergy to it.

26. allspavig@gmail.com says:

One thing that has been very helpful for me is genetic testing. I have a genetic predisposition to certain vitamin deficiencies, which caused me a lot of problems over the years. ( a bad set of genes that deal with vitamin D, and vitamin B6. So I take those vitamins, now….big improvement!).
    The other thing to keep in mind is each person and your relatives have unique physical/nutritional needs. In my family, we have trouble with bleeding/bruising too easily…not enough clotting. So, when I take vitamin E, I bleed evenworse! It like an anti-clot effect…so I now avoid it.

Also, be aware of how your body reacts to nutritional supplements.Some people thrive on vitamin C, and others develop arthritic or osteoporotic changes.

Our grandparents and greatgrands ate foods that were pesticide, fungicide free. “Organic”. Chickens and other ivestock were raised locally, pastured, etc. if you can afford organic, pastured, locally grown foods, those are the healthiest. Bottom line, enjoy your food! Enjoyment improves digestion! 😃🍉🍒🍗🍤🥕🌽🥑🍷

27. Dan Gerges says:

Excellent feedback from Treepers! I live in Appleton, WI and listen to this Green Bay radio program every weekend – streamable as well everywhere. This guy does tons of research including travels to the source countries. No nonsense presentation. Highly recommended – Amazon carries his products too. https://www.terrytalksnutrition.com/

28. kym819 says:

I am home with a viral infection today, i.e, body aches, fatigue, runny nose, slight cough, low grade fever. Here’s what is in my bag of goodies. Oscillococcinum for fever and body aches. Sambucol cold/flu for the runny nose and cough. Manuka honey lozenges for my throat and cough. Colloidal silver nose spray. This is the first time I have used the spray and its clearing up my nose really well. The brand that I found for the colloidal silver is Sovereign Silver. Chicken soup and lots of fluids. And I let the fever run its course. Tylenol, Aleve and Ibuprofen stop the fever, but also keep the body from fighting the virus. The Oscillo makes living with the fever tolerable. And of course bedrest. I have been using these supplements for myself and my family for several years to treat viruses. They work!

• I contracted the flu last week (husband brought it home from the office). I drank emergen-C (1000 mg Vitamin C powder) 3x daily for 4 days and the flu just disappeared. Husband says there are people at the office that have had it for weeks. I swear by vitamin C. It really works (for me).

• Kaco says:

Please be careful with the colloidal silver. There have been nightmare stories where people turned ashen, then blue, the more they use. It doesn’t leave your system. Someone up thread had something else for sinuses.

29. MK Wood says:

I take a few supplements, mainly vitamin C because I do not always eat my veggies and potassium/magnesium for cramps in my left calf from a severe accident last year. Other than that what has made the biggest difference is changing my diet. I did a partial low carb but I still consumed some wheat and processed stuff. I have since cut the wheat entirely which leads to almost no processed food. Wheat is in almost everything. It has made a world of difference.

• dbethd says:

An acquaintance had trouble getting pregnant and had many miscarriages. After getting hormone shots to help get pregnant with her first two children, she totally cut out gluten. She was able to naturally conceive, with no issues, her third child and no complications during the pregnancy.

30. Julie Barnes says:

PLANTS PLANTS PLANTS! My husband and I have always been wary of the supplement industry and have never really taken vitamins regularly. (we are in our 40s) The supplement industry–from vitamins to minerals to protein shakes and everything in between–is not regulated by the government/FDA. So, a vitamin C pill might have an isolated, synthetic form of manufactured Vitamin C, but also tons of other harmful, toxic ingredients that are NOT required to place on the label.

THANKFULLY, I stumbled upon something called Juice Plus. It is 30 RAW, vine-ripened fruits, vegetables that you take daily. The kicker for us, we saw that this product has a NUTRITION label, which means that the body will recognize it as plain food. The second kicker for us, was that it has had 20 years of scientific research proving all of the things it does in the body. (MD Anderson has studied it in ovarian cancer survivors, Yale, Vanderbilt, and many other reputable institutions across the world) This research has been published in peer-reviewed medical journals for years. A few of these studies proved that Juice Plus was absorbed into the bloodstream within 10 Minutes! Something the supplement industry cannot claim. There are also studies proving that is reduces systemic inflammation as well as oxidative stress. As a nurse and former pharmaceutical rep, I knew that this information was gold. In addition to this, the Juice Plus product also carries a NSF Certification. (you can google it) This means that what they say is in the bottle is actually in the bottle…something else the vast supplement industry cannot prove. The NSF certification is the highest standard of examination and is what Olympic athletes use to determine the safety of their supplements to ensure the cleanliness of them.

Additionally, we chose to try Juice Plus for our 13 year old son, who is NOT a vegetable and fruit eater. It was a perfect, safe choice for him to ‘bridge the gap” with his diet. ( I have been burdened most of his life about his poor nutrition) We’ve seen remarkable results, as he will eat kale and spinach salads and most fruit daily. When you flood your body with this much concentrated nutrition, it obviously changes your taste buds. He actually craves it. He was also diagnosed with gluten sensitivity issues recently which has increased our awareness of what is going into his body at all times. His leaky gut (which caused the gluten issues) has presented with eczema, headaches, joint pain, and frequent abdominal pain. God was so good to already have him on Juice Plus because I learned later that plants are prebiotics. They feed the good bacteria that’s already in your gut, ultimately reaching the goal of bringing symbiosis to the gut flora which helps to heal the lining and junctures causing particles to leak through.

This has been a life-changer for our family. And countless more that we’ve shared it with. This is God’s way of nutritionally restoring and healing our bodies. You can access all the info and the actual research below. Blessings!

Links to personal websites removed by Admin. This post is not intended as a platform to solicit personal business.

• Tom says:

“The supplement industry–from vitamins to minerals to protein shakes and everything in between–is not regulated by the government/FDA”

You do realize the the FDA, the NIH and the CDC are controlled by Big Pharma and the Medical-Industrial, right ?

In my book, if it’s FDA approved, it’s suspect. That the FDA approves GMO crops and glyphosate on wheat 3 days before harvest tells you all you need to know about their interest in your health.

• PNWLifer says:

I was thinking this sounded so much like a commercial as Iread your post, Julie Barnes. So at the end I was not totally surprised to see a link to the product you were promoting with a website with your name on it. So, since it appears you have put an ad here which looks like it benefits you financially could you please clarify this for us Treepers so we can evaluate your post with all relevant information to consider? Thanks so much!

• Searkreb says:

I have been reading and posting here since the Jessica chambers murder. I asked Julie to make that post because we found juice plus on a post similar to this randomly. Yes there is some financial gain but I believe in this product after being neutral at first. We bought it for our son out of desperation and did not care for the business aspect at all. It has become a staple in our diet after we saw how it helped him.
      I played football in college and have been pretty active since so I had a lot of aches. Juice plus helped me with inflammation and it helped me realize that natural products are much better for me than modified, synthetic, and highly processed food and supplements I had been consuming.
      In addition to juice plus we have been motivated to research what we are eating and how it made its way to our table. A few of those include:
      Purified water, braggs apple cider vinegar (maybe other brands will work), lots of veggies, kombucha, turmeric and ginger tea(antioxidant and anti inflammatory), grass fed and free range eggs and meat, and many other items that tend to be more natural.
      It really helped solidify healthy cravings and a change in lifestyle not just a diet phase.
      Hope that helps clear everything up! I would post more but these columns get small when replying

• Searkreb says:

Here is a very good site for a healthy lifestyle.

31. psadie says:

The very best thing you can do for your family is to have a glass of FRESH “WHOLE” FRUIT/VEGETABLE juice “everyday”. Use a high-powered (1200W-1500W) emulsifier like Vitamix or Nutri Ninja. Autopsies performed have shown a “severe lack of VITAMIN C.”

Advanced Nerve Support from http://www.realhealthproducts.com is great for additional Vitamin B. Very good for those who may have “neuropathy” for it brings back the feeling in your hands, feet, etc. for those suffering effects of cancer, diabetes and more.

• psadie says:

I also take daily 1 tablespoon of Organic Coconut Oil Unrefined, Cold-Pressed Virgin Oil…great for brain function! Aldi’s food chains have a 14oz. jar for $4.99.

• jsbachlover says:

Having fruit juice every day, even if made from actual fruit, can be a problem for some people. It’s only OK if you can tolerate the amount of natural sugars in the fruit you’ve selected. But many fruits are VERY sweet; and while the fructose in fruit doesn’t have the detriments of the concentrated sugar effect of high fructose corn syrup or commercial juices, to most of which even more sugar is added, fresh fruit juice can still contain a lot of sugar for people who can’t tolerate a lot and/or are looking to be on a low-carb diet.

• psadie says:

You can do ONE FRUIT with many other veggies and use water, coconut milk or ice. You don;’t have to use much to get the Vitamin C that is so important. Choose an apple, berries or low sugar fruit. Or do all veggies that are high in Vitamin C. In a “very short” time you will see a difference in your skin and overall health.

• Jigsaw Health Activated B Complex w/SRT
      Jigsaw’s slow release B is good for oral B but some people absorb B poorly. Vie Patch B12 skin patches :
      B12 (methylcobalamin)-5000 mcg
      B3 (niacin) – 25mg, E – 15mg
      B5 (pantothenic acid) – 10mg
      B6 (pyroxidine) – 3mg
      B2 (Riboflavin) – 2mg
      B1 (thiamine) – 2mg
      A (retinol) – 1mg
      B9 (folic acid) – 500mcg
      K – 150mcg
      D – 125mcg
      or MAXASORB BioActive B12 Cream (also contains B3 & 9) are alternates. I use both interchangeably.

32. I just posted along list of what I take,etc and it did not post…sigh…

33. carnan43 says:

I would be really concerned about the site that is recommended. The information provided certainly is completely opposite of what I have researched. If they will not share studies pro and con as references the site is likely provided by sources of funding linked to the chemical giants that pollute our lives. Two of many that I would recommend are GreenMedinfo and DrMercola. They will provide studies that you can read for yourself and make up your own mind. Nature has provided mankind with disease fighting tools for centuries, greed has been instrumental in destroying our ability to fight disease naturally. There are documentaries on Amazon Prime as well as numerous books written about the Rockefellers destroying the homeopathic approach to cure disease. I will pose just one question. Has cancer treatments, diabetics treatments, etc contained the diseases? No industry will destroy itself when billions of dollars are being made. As my departed mother said in the 1970’s there will be no cancer cure because of the money involved.
    Research for yourself the “CURE” rate of cancer through chemo and radiation. Both are known to produce cancers. Remission isn’t cured. What returns will return with a vengeance. Diabetics are at an epidemic level, so much for modern marvels of medicine.

34. cycle1 says:

I have found this stuff to be amazing for lower back and joint stiffness. Go to this Amazon link, read the comments, and decide whether it might also be helpful to you:

35. Daniel says:

Pay attention to your body is all I’ve got. You can eat McDonald’s like President Trump. But you’ve gotta learn to listen. There’s more to “eating what feels good” than limiting that to eating what tastes good. How does it feel in the stomach? How does it feel 15 minutes later? 30 minutes? And hour or two later?

When you’re a kid or a teenager or a 20-something, it doesn’t matter yet. When you’re 30-something you’ll start to feel the difference and as time moves on, you feel it even more.

Now, when I choose what to eat, it’s still partly “what tastes good” or is most convenient. But more often, it’s to select for the result I want. Yesterday’s lunch was a nice salad from Papa Murphy’s. $5 and huge. Nice thing about salad… you can eat lots of it. Today I discussed with a coworker about his problem with wild deer venturing into his back yard and eating things he’d rather they not eat. I suggested trapping them and taking them to a processing place in the area. Not sure what the legalities are there but I figure if there are no firearms involved and you somehow trap it, it’s not exactly hunting when it’s in your backyard. The point is one of my favorite things (and I know I’ll get a lot of ‘eeeeew!’) is the liver. Beef liver or whatever. Thin sliced, cooked in red wine with onions and bell peppers, never actually touching the pan? So good…lots of body-friendly iron which is easy to take in. It’s like medication for me… perhaps a touch “placebo” but I feel a lot more alive with all the extra iron and the oxygen moving around in my body. To me it’s great stuff not just because to me it tastes good, but how I feel when I eat it is great.

My sons hate it. My wife hates it too. (But who are they to judge? My wife likes nattou as does my youngest… it looks disgusting and smells like the worst kind of foot problems. They want to judge me for liking liver and onions? The gravy I make with the remainders and the mashed potatoes just makes it all for me.

So why just limit what you crave to that which touches the taste and smell? How about the rest of you? Indulge those senses too!

• winky says:

My beau loves calf’s liver …me not so much. we discovered a little restaurant that cooks it great just like he likes so now we go there every week and that is what he orders. He loves it.

36. cycle1 says:

Ok. Here is the link I wanted to post. It is a cream that I have found works for joints and muscle tightness. Read the comments in this Amazon link to see if it might be right for you:

37. Medicine Man says:

I take Vitamin D3 5000 units a day in the winter (live in Michigan). I take ubiquinol (converted form of CoQ10)…Krill Oil and Grape seed extra for blood pressure control.

I am Pharm.D (clinical pharmacist) who has worked in research and development/medical affairs for 13 years. Fill in at a pharmacy for fun every once in awhile.

• jwingermany says:

Here in Germany, sunlight depression is a problem for many from about November to March. I have found Vitamin D3 combined with about 50 grams of dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa) daily to be quite effective in fighting off the winter blues.

Btw, do not drink milk or consume milk products within a couple of hours of eating your dark chocolate…it blocks the positive effects. In other words…no milk chocolate.

38. For older men, testosterone is key.

If there’s one thing that can make you feel ten years younger, and improve quality of life it is testosterone. Get your levels checked and make sure they’re high!

Sadly diet and exercise are not always enough.

1) Look for a good TRT clinic in your area

2) google “NKNW” or better yet check http://www.testosterone.blue which sell generic creams just like AndroGel that you can buy without a prescription and save a lot.

39. darrellflores says:

A bit more intense than a supplement, but I want to mention testosterone. So important for men.

I found a good TRT clinic near me it changed my life. Felt much younger is the best way to put it. That’s after doing my best with diet, good habits, and over the counter things.

I recommend http://testosterone.blue for a solid generic testosterone cream at a good price because things get pricey fast and personally the needles make me queasy.

Stay strong treepers!

• jwingermany says:

Testosterone gets a bad rap IMHO. It tends to get thrown into the same pot with all of the doping substances out there. Taken properly…it can have many benefits for men as they age.

I have tried a cycle or 2 in my time…and each time…I felt like a BILLION BUCKS!!!

40. jwingermany says:

REVIEW: Cissus quadrangularis (example: USPS Super Cissus RX)

Over a span of 3 decades, the list of supplements that I have experimented with is quite long. Some work…some don’t…some work for some people…and don’t for others. As with many things, quality counts!!! It also has its price. If you’re buying minerals for a $1.99, you’re very likely flushing your money down the toilet…LITERALLY in the form of urine.

Today, I would like to share my experience with Cissus quadrangularis for the treatment of joint and tendon pain. But before I get to that…

MY CREDS: A 50 year old 5’8″ 230lbs male born with the hunger for pumping iron (but too shy to show it off on stage…so, please forgive me if I brag a little on the digital stage. 😀 ) I competed in local power-lifting competitions back in the late 80s to early 90s while stationed here in Germany as a young soldier.

Best body-weight to lift ratio at the age of 25 and 155lbs:
    Bench press: 315lbs
    Squat: 490lbs
    Dead-lift: 525lbs

Best personal bench press with a body-weight of 220lbs and 46 years young…NO STEROIDS. Yes, I am proud of that. 😀

After a long multi year break from lifting, I decided to get into bodybuilding as a last minute alternative to surgery to replace disks in my neck. Long story short…IT WORKED!

However, I am a guy who can’t go to the gym for an hour and be satisfied with the average workout…I get bored easily. So, I decided to set goals for myself. I wanted to join the 400lbs bench press club for the first time in my 40s. I reached that goal 5 years later.

Of course, with high intensity training comes the risk of injury and chronic aches and pains. My problems were with my right shoulder…and not allowing it to heal because I became addicted to iron. I was swallowing ibuprofen like candy…well over the recommended maximum dose.

I came across an article about Cissus quadrangularis and rave reviews on its effectiveness to reduce/eliminate joint and connective tissue pain. I was skeptical but decided to give it a go after fighting with the pain for nearly a year.

I ordered Super Cissus RX and took it as suggested.

RESULT: After 3 weeks of use…I was literally pain free. Not only in my shoulder, but many other areas of the body as well. It’s amazing how the body adapts to accumulated pain to the point that you don’t realize you have pain…until you don’t have it any more! Btw, during that period of time, I never stopped training.

I know it sounds too good to be true. I understand the power of placebo effect. Like I said, I’ve tried almost every supplement on the market to include some that later became controlled substances…like ephedra (ephedrine) and pro-hormones (designer steroids)<<<Remember Mark McGwire's home-run record? That was over-the-counter pro-hormones.

As an alternative to OTC pain medications, I highly recommend giving Cissus quadrangularis a try for joint and tendon pain. For about $30 to $40, what do you have to lose?

Cissus quadrangularis is known to have other benefits as well…especially for women. You can read about some of the benefits here: https://examine.com/supplements/cissus-quadrangularis/

• jwingermany says:

Tip! If you’re going to brag…don’t forget to do it! LOL!!!

“Best personal bench press 407lbs with a body-weight of 220lbs and 46 years young…NO STEROIDS. Yes, I am proud of that. 😀

• cycle1 says:

You should be. That sounds world class for your age group!

• jwingermany says:

Well, in the world of powerlifting, you’d be surprised how many world records have been broken by men over 40. It seems endurance declines earlier than strength does.

Of course, when the competition is on the juice…my totals would not make the final cut. I learned that in my first open competition outside of the military. My ego got put in its place quickly.

• Daniel says:

Something to keep in mind — the body, as it ages, loses the ability to heal. This is important as there become inherent limitations on how much strength you can safely grow or maintain. And more specifically, there are limits to how well and how quickly one can heal as one gets older. I have a coworker who is also about “our age” who somehow did something to his shoulder due to working out and he was out for pretty close to a month and then has a lot of therapy he has to go through. A guy in his 20s wouldn’t have suffered so much.

Older muscles and older bones are not made “better” through exercise. The repair mechanisms are the same, but the “disappearing telomeres” matter is one which cannot be escaped and if one is accelerating the replacement of old cells in the body, it stands to reason one is also accelerating death to some degree.

Working out can be as addictive as many other things. Donating blood can even be addictive. Be careful of doing too much of a good thing.

• jwingermany says:

Oh believe me…I am quite aware of the ability of the body to heal slows with age. In my twenties, I could do physical training with my Army unit 4 times a week, work 10 hours, and hit the gym afterwords for 2-3 hours 6 times a week.

Now, when fit, I hit the gym maximum 4 times a week and have a desk job…and still need at least double the recovery time. I believe there is a happy medium between too much and NOT ENOUGH<<<which tends to be the larger problem in today's world of couch potatoes. Also, too much is relative to the individual and depends on many variables…genetics, rest, psychological stress, nutrition, experience, body-mind connection, recovery techniques, training techniques, etc….

As cycle1 stated earlier, training smart contributes to longevity. Over the years, you learn to listen to the body. Understand what puts your body in an uncontrolled catabolic state…it's a science.

• cycle1 says:

A lot of wisdom there, Daniel. Are you an M.D.?

• cycle1 says:

Interesting jwinger, I copied the link. Going into older age and still performing at a high level is possible if you are smart about it.
      Look at Jack Lallane, he pulled a tug boat when he was 83 years old – and he took 80 pills a day (probably supplements and not prescription drugs).

The reason my name is cycle is because I love cycling. The challenge is keeping it at a high level. I thank God for the many natural supplements that make this possible.

• jwingermany says:

“Smart about it.” Exactly!

I have to fight with myself constantly to NOT overdo it. Competitiveness runs in the family. My brother is only a year and a half younger than I am and can kick a book off of a tall refrigerator.

• jwingermany says:

For fat burning and cardiovascular conditioning, I prefer cycling over running…low impact. But, not on a stationary bike in a gym…I get out onto the many bike paths into the forests and countryside that they have here in Germany.

I don’t have a very expensive bike…a mid-level quality Raleigh for about $1400. It’s not a Trek for $5000…but it has served me well for several thousand miles. I do all of my own repairs and inspections…bearings, spokes, shifting adjustments.

• cycle1 says:

Yes. I agree. I am an outdoor cyclist. I just have a decent mountain bike and I have fun on the paved trail keeping up with guys on road bikes who are way younger than me. Gotta admit, once in a while I run into someone where I need the road bike to keep up. But, it’s fun. When I get to some straighter sections of paved trail, I like to do sprints on my bicycle. Doing a few of those really helps my fitness. I used to road bike and do time trials and triathlons. Maybe someday, by for now mountain bike is great!

• Daniel says:

There are genetics involved as well. Don’t set expectations needlessly high or one will burn one’s self out because one thinks they should be able to do more than they are able. One should feel strong enough and mobile without effort or slowness, but lifting weights of uncommon amount? That’s for body builders. Pushups, pullups, situps — whatever the body can do is good for any of that.

Supplements? What’s wrong with real food? It’s inconvenient… but beyond that what’s wrong with it? Supplements are for when you’re not able to eat right.

• cycle1 says:

I agree to some extent, Daniel. But I also believe the heir is room for supplementation particularly for those who are older and involved in high intensity physical activities, Also, it’s a fact that people don’t process nutrients as well when they grow older. Why, for example do older people get gray hair more often than young people?

• cycle1 says:

I definitely agree that you need to give the body more time to recover with age.

• cycle1 says:

You have to also take into account certain thing when deciding whether to take a supplement. I have lost the cushioning in my knees and I do not want surgery, for example. So some of these supplements enable me to continue being active like ten years ago but without surgery. The cetylpure has helped me with that. If their is a natural food where I can get enough of a nutrient to keep active as I wish withou gaining 100 pounds I want to hear about it! Until then, I am taking certain supplements. Always open to learning new things though!

• cycle1 says:

One more note, I am not trying to bombard you as your point is well taken, it’s better for me to take Cetylpure for example, than say Advil. Advil is a drug and Cetylpure is a type of fat. Advil can prevent as fast a muscle repair and it just covers up the problem whereas Cetylpure actually helps heal or at least lessen the problem

• Menagerie says:

Do you have a brand you recommend?do you have a brand you recommend?

• Lanna says:

This is also great for speedy fracture healing. I gave a bottle to a family member who’d fractured his sternum and required a surgical repair (plate and screws). The surgeon was very impressed with the rapid bone growth, strength and thickness of the new bone after surgery.

• Rancher says:

Cissus is a wonderful pain reliever, bone healer, tendon and cartilage rebuilder. But please, don’t use more than recommended. As noted in a clinical study, it also causes a significant rise in one’s uric acid levels. This, could lead to gout. If you’ve ever had gout, I would be very cautious about using it at all.

41. winky says:

I have always disliked taking vitamins because they make me so nauseous so now I take the Costco Reviva liquid vitamins and put them in a protein shake in the morning. Also like the liquid calcium too in the shake. (2 tbls of each) It is much easier to take and to remember and I do feel better when I take them so that is what I do.

42. Shimei says:

Thanks Menagerie for implementing this idea and to all the great comments. My wife and I have been learning about whole food supplements for 20 years or so. We were skeptical of isolated supplements as some studies show they can be either ineffective or harmful. An apple contains vitamin C but also 12,000 – 40,000 cofactors, many that haven’t been studied, especially in the presence of other cofactors. It just makes sense to me that eating an apple or orange is a better way to get vitamin C. God is the one who designed the apple, and all other whole foods, and is the only one who understands why they are there and what the optimal ratios are.

In our research we came across Standard Process. It started in 1929 and most of their whole food supplement formulas were developed from 1930 – 1960 and haven’t changed much. Last year when we visited their manufacturing facility and organic farm in Wisconsin, they had sold 13.4 million bottles that year, all without advertising. Their products are only available through licensed professionals. There is a pretty steep learning curve on determining which SP supplements to use, in what quantities, and for how long, based on an individuals needs. You can search for a licensed professional from their website. https://www.standardprocess.com/HCP-Search I suggest trying to find one that has really invested the time and effort to learn how to best use their supplements. It seems to take several years of learning and experience to become adept at it.

Here’s an example of how a whole food supplement is made. Buckwheat has been analyzed to contain a fair amount of vitamin C. SP harvests organically grown buckwheat and immediately extracts its juice with a giant juicer. The juice is immediately processed with a low temperature water extraction process. The resulting powder, along with other whole food extracts, is put into capsules. The result is a supplement that is rich in vitamin C but with all the cofactors present in the original plant source.

• Tom says:

Just because you supplement with Vitamin C doesn’t mean you shouldn’t eat that apple as well. Vitamin C capsules/powders have zero calories and you need a lot more than you’ll get in one apple or one grapefruit.

43. I love Omica Organics. High grade organic liquid turmeric emulsified extract with biodynamic organic lavender and rosemary hydrolysis. Raw shilajit full of fulvic acid and ancient ocean minerals. Zeolite elixir powder for chelating toxic heavy metals out of body. Magnesium bath flakes and body sprays. All come in glass containers. Highest quality.
    more at http://www.OmicaOrganics.com. Much love.

44. DaveJ says:

For IBS try ginger root grated and made as tea.

45. M33 says:

Ok..
    may sound crazy, but I’ve seen them work.

get rid of gout with celery seed powder, 5 capsules, 3x a day.

normalize high blood pressure with regular niacin, not the non-flushing one. Take 2x daily, in small quantities at first, with tall glass of water, continue increasing dose until flushing no longer occurs.

normalize cholesterol levels with high-grade fish oil capsules. 3 capsules, 3x daily until level normalize.

Sometimes… it is the simplest things…

46. spacette55 says:

My favorite health & nutrition online resources are https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/
    It’s based at Duke University and has tons of podcasts and info about prescription drugs, nutritional supplements and home remedies.

For analyzing the specific nutrional breakdown of food portions this is a good website. My mother suffered from kidney disease and had to watch her potassium levels.

47. Timmy-the-Ute says:

Vitamin E for your fatty liver(NASH).

48. Annie says:

I have taken supplements for many years.. I am just 80 and in excellent health..take no meds..but, I got on the Turmeric Train quite a while ago..I have a lot of doc friends who take it..as does my GP, my chiro and my Pilates teacher..worth your time to look into it..Mine comes from Premier Research Labs in Austin TX..and you can order it thru the web site of Pure Formulas. my doc who really checked them out..said that it is the best lab that makes it…the purest etc. I don’t buy anything at the drugstore…I also have been drinking Xango for many years..Am happy to see this thread here and reading about what others are doing..

49. Wow, this is such a deep topic that is incredibly hard to encapsulate because each of us have (aside from the basic functions) very different things going on with our bodies. Instead of going on about the numerous particulars, I’d like to recommend a couple of books that have made a huge impact in the lives of my Family.

Julia Ross: http://www.dietcure.com/
    (Julia Ross has a ton of videos on youtube for those that are interested)

Preferred Vendor for health supplements: http://www.nutrabio.com/
    (It’s important to stay away from Chinese sources IMHO, as their quality control is far worse than our unregulated supplement market. The company named above is very careful about their labels accurately reflecting what’s inside the products.)

Last point: Magnesium (so important)