Eclipse 2017 – Open Discussion Thread…

There’s a great deal of interest in the solar eclipse happening today throughout the U.S.  Here’s an open discussion thread for anything pertaining to the eclipse:

NASA also has an eclipse countdown clock and Live Webcast

SEE HERE

This entry was posted in Treehouse Campfire, Uncategorized, Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

436 Responses to Eclipse 2017 – Open Discussion Thread…

1. And God Blessed Fairhope AL with a beautiful sunny day. At 12:15 PM (18 minutes minutes prior to maximum) he sent a great storm cloud to protect the delicate eyes of his beloved children… -that is the way I see it :). ..

2. spiritof76nv says:

Saw it 1st in Lincoln City, OR. I’m lost for words to describe how beautiful it was.

3. maggiemoowho says:

If anyone has elderly neighbors (and you get along with them😄), share your eclipse glasses, most won’t ask or say anything. I realized many of my neighbors didn’t have glasses, but were outside(probably burning their eyeballs trying to look at the eclipse) so we all shared the pair I had. Many might not get to see another one and they were all happy to get to see the eclipse through the glasses. Met some new neighbors also😃👍👍👍

4. Somebody says:

It was pouring rain in my corner of Florida just north of Jacksonville. A complete bust.

• sunnydaze says:

Agree, Nothing Burger in NE Fl.

Didn’t even seem to get dark! Didn’t rain here, but cloudy and no change in the light.

Seems weird cuz we had 90%.

• Guyver1 says:

My family and me got lucky- some of the few in Jacksonville who actually got to see it.
      I traveled from the Arlington area to Argyle Forest in a driving rain.
      Everybody was watching on tv, but bummed out because of the rain & cloud cover.
      So I told my daughter and grandkids not to give up, to keep watching on tv while I kept an eye out for a break in the clouds.
      And at 2:02 the clouds broke over Argyle Forest.
      Everybody ran out- and we were able to do everything we had planned because the hole in the cloud slowed down to the same relative speed as the Sun.
      Watched the birds freak out, the temperature drop, the mini solar eclipses on the ground under the oak tree, took a ton of pictures, the works. Had a ton of fun with the grandkids.
      My grandson put on some music from one of his Halo video games- perfect for the occasion.
      When I left for work after the maximum coverage at 2:47, the Sun was still visible through the break in the clouds.
      We got lucky. I wish everyone in Jax could have seen it, it was awesome.

5. Convert says:

Terrible disappointment. We were told we were in the path and would see something. School let out, etc. But had I not known there was an eclipse, I would have noticed nothing in southern part of VA. 😣

• Same in SouthWest Missouri. I would not have even noticed an eclipse had I not known one was coming.

About 25 years ago, we had a good one. It was in the fall and very ethereal. The temperature began to drop and soon it was dark with a shadow mosaic pattern of Oak leaves across the ground as far as my eyes could see. That was cool, but this science geek never did quite figure out that Oak Leaf pattern. It was as if an artist had drawn it on the ground.

But this one was much adieu about nothing. Of course, our school system bought eclipse glasses for their employees and we got a pair–Everyone really built this one up….

It’s once in a lifetime! Oh well……LOL.

• DGC says:

So sorry you felt that way.

You would have only seen a partial eclipse in SW Missouri, with only about 92% coverage at maximum. Everything darkened, but not anywhere near what you would have observed under the path of totality, e.g., 100% coverage at maximum. It literally is the difference between night and day.

6. Dehbashi says:

Caught the end of it in VA when it was leaving

7. WSB says:

OK, the Crappy Neighbors, loud kids, ornary birds and unruly dogs are back at it. So, there MUST HAVE BEEN an eclipse.

8. DeBordieu SC beach eMini age 6 learning about our solar system. We worship the Son, and love the sun!

9. 93.9% at my house. Not quite as cool as I hoped for but still OK.

10. KBR says:

Crazy rooster keeps crowing and crowing. It has been near an hour now…

11. maggiemoowho says:

🚨Just a reminder to everyone living in Orlando, Florida, Nasa is starting the sonic boom testing today. Sonicbat flights is what Nasa is calling them(I think). The eclipse reminded me of this testing and just wanted to remind everyone else. I guess my dog will be going to go nuts over the next few weeks.

12. Red says:

That was the most unbelievable, magnificent, surreal thing I have EVER seen in my life. Not a cloud in the sky! It got noticeably cooler and I briefly took my eyes off of it to see both sunrise and sunset look and I’m guessing Venus in the West. Wow !!!!!!!!!

13. tuskyou says:

Cloudy/overcast in northwest Illinois. 4 of us in the front yard with our viewers made from shoe boxes. Barely saw anything. Then the 5 yr old boy says “oh well, maybe next year” and karate chops his sister.

14. Had about 98% here. Didn’t get as dark as I thought it would. Then, right after the 98% a huge cloud came over the sun and it has been there ever since. Bummer…

15. Cloudy & overcast where Me & the Misses started off to. (thunder Storms), Just decided to stay home.. Traffic was EXTREMELY HEAVY, going 17 south.. @ Myrtle beach.. So I turned around..
    My Misses never experienced a “total” Eclipse, I did in 1972..
    Misses was & is very excited, watching things get DUSK @ 2:30 or so… 97% totality..
    It’s Still dusk-like outside..

16. SafeSpace says:

Light cloud here in northeast GA. Nearly Spectacular nonetheless, especially the sunrise colors all around the horizons, and the total silence as all birds, critters, and humans stopped moving for 15 minutes. This website, sadly, prevents me from attaching photos.

• amwick says:

Here is the eclipse sunrise from my valley in Northeast Georgia…

BTW, you might have a go at this: http://imgur.com/
      click on the green box, select browse to find the pic in your computer, it will upload to imgur,, then the url will be displayed, with a box that says “copy”…If you paste the imgur url here in a comment box, on its very own line, it should show up…it isn’t hard to do,, but then your pic is flying around in cyber space…

• auntiefran413 says:

You must have different critters in Georgia than we do here in Missouri. All was quiet until it began to get dusky. Then they all decided to sing…stopped when it brightened up again.

17. Howie says:

Whoop de doo.

• 17CatsInTN says:

Sorry for you. My 100%er turned out to be pretty good!

• amwick says:

I saw stars.. for realz… well maybe two!!

• 17CatsInTN says:

Lol! I saw the total eclipse. Honestly, it really was very cool to see. You could actually stand there and look at the sun without killing your eyes. It was amazing. I didn’t even think to look for stars.

• cdquarles says:

I went to Oak Ridge, TN, with my sister and nephew to see it. It was quite the sight. Oak Ridge was in the totality path. It got dusky dark but not dark enough to see stars. The interesting part was the leaf shadows and the corona. Lovely. You could see it come as a dark patch of sky to the west-northwest as the eclipse progressed. When totality arrived, the light sensing switches turned on the street lights. Again, like a dusky dark but not fully dark akin to a thick cloudy sky without the rain. After it was over, you could see it pass east-southeast as a dark patch in the sky.

• 17CatsInTN says:

Very cool. Similar to what I saw, except it actually got more than dusky dark, not full dark, but definitely more than dusky. I was in totality path as well. Inside my house was like nighttime. Very interesting.

18. shannynae says:

Perfect conditions here in SW WA. It was about 95% coverage and it was amazing how quickly the temperature dropped. A wonderful experience.

19. alliwantissometruth says:

Not much to see in Chicago. Very cloudy conditions made it a bit dark beforehand. When it was happening, it seemed to get just slightly darker, so not much to experience

Oh, the thugs stopped shooting for a minute or two, so that was good

20. jonvil says:

Branson, MO here. 1:14 PM was the peak
    It stayed ‘sunny’ but the quality of the sun light changed. What really caught my attention was that the shadows cast on my deck were all uniquely curved in the same direction and rotated with the passage of the moon.
    Really looking forward to the next eclipse 🙂

21. solomonpal says:

22. amwick says:

Well, we had a beautiful location, the clouds just went away… unbelievable from the high ridge above my valley. I didn’t really know how to do it.. but i got a picture, not all that exciting, but it is mine,,, and I am happy anything turned out. 🙂

There is a strange shadow image. I believe it is an alien invasion mother ship, flying towards earth.

23. MAGA Happy Boy says:

I just experienced the eclipse here in Columbia, SC and would like to share that I have never experienced such a visceral encounter with Our Lord’s creation. We were most fortunate to be in a position to simultaneously observe both the heavenly and earthly manifestation of Our Creator’s image. As we viewed the progression of the heavens through our glasses, we also watched the earthly progression of Our Lord’s majesty from west to east along a singular earthly corridor. My biggest regret is that my children and grandchildren chose a different venue and will never feel the rapture that enjoined my soul.

24. indiana08 says:

I didn’t get to see it because the clouds completely covered the sun. Some parts of the city were able to see it. I think we had 94-97% coverage. Since the local news also had clouds in the way of their coverage all eyes went to Nashville where they a full eclipse. It just looked like an overcast here, then we actually had rain and then the sun came out. I’m sure it was cool for those who got to see it in totality though.

25. MK Wood says:

Sweetwater , TN Lots of traffic. Almost right under the direct path. Taken with a cheapy camera. Totality was more than 2 minutes. 9 hr round trip total.

26. Pam says:

Have a good laugh folks. LOL

27. Floridagal says:

Went to see it in a small town called Abbeville SC. The townspeople were all gathered at the town square. Saw the full eclipse. It was awesome. The town started to play the 2001 A Space Odyssey when the full eclipse occurred. We heard the crickets, the stars came out, and the street lights came on. The crowd started cheering. No clouds in the sky at the time it occurred. One of my best experiences of my life. By the way, we ate the best hotdogs there at a restaurant called Rough House and found the best Moonshine ( corn whiskey) at a store called Red Barn Likker. They make their own right there in a copper still. We just tried it when we got to our second home in Wrightsville Ga
    Just a wonderful day!

• Guyver1 says:

Floridagal, nice choice of music- the ‘Jupiter and Beyond’ suite is one of my favorites (the composer, Gyorgy Ligeti, was an absolute genius.)
      And ‘Also Sprach Zarathustra’ (aka ‘Sunrise’) would have been perfect for when the Sun started to come out from behind the Moon- maybe that is what you heard.
      My grandson played music from one of his Halo video games- also very nice.

28. carole says:

Not sure which among all y’all Treepers will appreciate this, but Husband and I watched the eclipse on tv, and the most exciting part to us was suddenly seeing our son, daughter-in-law, and two young grandsons among the crowd celebrating the eclipse as shown on the news! We had recorded the news show and kept replaying it to see our Family! 🙂

29. Fran says:

Watched the total eclipse in our front yard as we ate lunch with four generations of our family, very blessed to have this memory.

• Guyver1 says:

Memories, yes.
      I had to leave for work right after peak (91% at 2:47).
      I hugged my daughter and grandkids on my way out, and told them “Enjoy- and remember.”
      Smiles all the way around.