Sunday July 30th – Open Thread

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

108 Responses to Sunday July 30th – Open Thread

1. jackphatz says:

This time last week began our family nightmare. Today we had a wonderful celebration of my Granddaughter Adelaide’s life with family and friends. So much kindness and prayers have been bestowed on our family. This is something one can not adequately thank because it came from so many. All I can say is everyone’s kindness has greatly lifted our spirits this week. Now starts the most difficult part of relearning life without someone so integral to the family structure, a child of only 22 months. This is very painful, it makes no sense. It is a reality that we have to acknowledge but never fully accept.

Thank You all for your blessings and prayers.

Jackphat (Brenda)

2. Garrison Hall says:

• Gil says:

I have a question or two for you, if you dont mind. What is a good age and temperament to start a child with guitar lessons? I actally thought I would start him in classical guitar. How should I find a good teacher, and criteria? Ty!

• Garrison Hall says:

Around ten or twelve is a good age, although some people (and some virtuosos like the Romero brothers) started a good bit earlier. What is important is that the child’s cognitive development and motor skills have reached a point where practice can positive results and be rewarding. A good way to make a child feel like a failure is to give them performance tasks that lack the physical and cognitive abilities to handle. As for finding a teacher, I suggest looking for someone who genuinely enjoys teaching young children. That person may or may not be an accomplished player but will have the patience and skill to get little kids interested in music.

There’s not really a strict division of labor here. It’s just that some people are better at this than others. When you find that special teacher, watching your child progress musically and then learn to love playing is a wonderful thing to see. College and University departments, along with high schools that offer guitar instruction are a good place to look for a teacher as are, if you’re lucky to live in a city that has one, guitar societies.

• Gil says:

Some kids are capable of starting so early. Mine is just not ready yet. BUT, he enjoys singing, dancing, and guitar. I will encourage his appreciation and musical ear until he is ready. I have never heard of a guitar society, but I am sure I can find one. College level guitar, what a great place to look for a teacher.
          Ty for your insight.

• Wend says:

Great advice from Garrison.

I’m pretty musical and grew up in a musical family. I started at 12 and kept up for about two years. It was a lot of fun-played and sang a lot of Dylan, Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones ballads (I remember loving “Play With Fire” especially) and folk. Had a great teacher. Then I tried to switch from gut to electric and couldn’t take it. I’m sure your son will love it! He’s lucky to have parents who support him.

• Kathy says:

Gil … This product might be of interest: https://www.chordbuddy.com/

It was featured on SharkTank and has since gotten a thumbs-up from John Rich (Big & Rich). Here’s a video of John Rich demonstrating how to play “Save a Horse” with only two ChordBuddy buttons: https://www.chordbuddy.com/blogs/learn-how-to-play-save-a-horse/

• Wend says:

Cute dog. Cute guy. Nice pickin’!

3. Grandma Covfefe says:

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
    Matthew 5:14,16 NIV

4. Donna in Oregon says:

May you awaken to the mystery of
    being here and enter the quiet
    immensity of your own presence.
    May you have joy and peace in
    the temple of your senses.

John O’Donohue

Irish poet and priest

5. Donna in Oregon says:

This is my favorite Irish poet (and priest) John O’Donohue.
    I hope he is considered an Irish Blessing 🙂

May I have the courage today
    To live the life that I would love,
    To postpone my dream no longer
    But do at last what I came here for
    And waste my heart on fear no more.

and this one too:

“Each of us is an artist
    of our days; the greater
    our awareness, the more
    creative our time will
    become.”

John O’Donohue

• Betty says:

There is one of his poems about being out to sea in an Irish round boat called a coracle when a small wet spot starts in the bottom and with the moon shining across the water to guide you home. I can’t find it, do you know it?

6. Troublemaker10 says:

7. rashamon says:

Kudos to the Treepers who answered my questions on feral kittens. I asked MUCH better questions today with the various groups who foster such tykes. You are a special gang of experts! Thanks for taking the time.

8. citizen817 says:

9. nwtex says:

10. nwtex says:

Bless his heart.

11. nwtex says:

It is Sunday. Perfect!

US First Lady Melania Trump takes part in a prayer during the opening ceremony for the Healing Garden at the Children’s National Medical Center on April 28, 2017 in Washington, DC. / AFP PHOTO / MANDEL NGAN
    (April 27, 2017 – Source: AFP

• Janie M. says:

dreamboat annie, I am so grateful that I was a teenager in the heydays of Motown, nothing else can compare to the music those artist created. And… I always loved when groups, dressed in really cool outfits, had synchronized moves while singing their tunes.

12. Dora says:

Ellie Freudenstein – Garden Bouquet

13. smiley says:

Peony Flower

oil/canvas

ca 1930s

Georgia O’Keeffe ~ American (1887-1986)

🙂

14. smiley says:

The Half-Finished Heaven

Despondency breaks off its course.
    Anguish breaks off its course.
    The vulture breaks off its flight.

The eager light streams out.
    even the ghosts take a drink.

And our paintings see daylight,
    our red beasts of the ice-age studios.

Everything begins to look around.
    We walk in the sun in hundreds.

Each man is a half-open door
    leading to a room for everyone.

The endless ground under us.

The water is shining among he trees.

The lake is a window into the earth.

Tomas Transtromer ~ Swedish (1931-2015) ~ The Nobel Prize in Literature 2011.

🙂

15. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

• smiley says:

hi, WeeWeed 🙂

• georgiafl says:

Mornin’ Infidel Clan Chieftan!

McCain and the rest of our distinguished Senators and House members (and their donors) will wish they had passed their ‘kick the can’ (sorry excuse for a) Health Care Bill when President Trump gets through dealing with Obamacare via Executive Orders, New Regulations and ……………….drum roll………………. removals of waivers and subsidies!!!!

Can’t say DJT didn’t warn them.

• georgiafl says:

• Bendix says:

Just revoke the damn “tax” that was never passed in the first place. Watch it fall apart even faster, when nobody is forced to buy the damn thing.
          If they can tax you for not buying that, they can tax you for not buying anything at all the government tells you to buy.
          Just because this Roberts character came up with an end run around the constitutionality or lack thereof, of the Individual Mandate, that did not automatically enshrine the Individual Mandate as constitutional protected.
          Congress enacts and revokes taxes all the time. It’s usually just one way, but the Republicans always had it in their power to do this.

16. So cute makes you smile!

17. Dora says:

I didn’t know that. To me a bagel is something to enjoy with plenty of lox and cream cheese. Yum. Yum.

18. TexasRanger says:

KLM Lost and Found Service – The Real Hero

Video 01:43 Minutes

19. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.”
    Psalms 91:4 (KJV)

• piper567 says:

morning friends,
      several days ago I asked for prayer for a medical procedure which will be taking place tomorrow, the 31st. I am having a stent put into one of my subclavian arteries. Raven’s prayer was a great blessing to me, and again, I so appreciate your support.
      Please do say a prayer for me…this procedure is being attempted in the hope a major surgery can be avoided. So, the prayer is for this procedure to be successful.
      I shared Raven’s lovely prayer with a few close friends, and we marveled that we can pray for brothers and sisters we will most likely never see this side of heaven…what a marvelous gift He has given us. Love to you all.

• Prayers and blessings be with you tomorrow and always💖💖💖

• duchess01 says:

Go with God, piper! He will see you through – this operation has been quite successful for many – from what I hear and read – we all will pray before, during, and after – and God will be there with you – Believe and Receive!

• piper567 says:

Thank you so much, georgia and duchess… so many are praying for me, and I know the Lord will be by my side.
          Blessing to you all on this Lord’s Day.

• duchess01 says:

God Bless You, piper! You are in good company – may God’s angels comfort and carry you every step of the way – while our prayers strengthen and lift you up – in Jesus’ Name – we pray – Amen!

• Ddanna says:

My prayers are with you that this procedure will be successful so major surgery can be avoided. May God bless you with success tomorrow.

• Raven says:

Dear Piper,

I must tell you that the Lord indeed answers prayers in ways far beyond our expectations. He has kept YOU in my heart, on my mind and deep in my prayers since I saw your request a few days ago. My husband and I have been out of town since then and I did not have a way to post until now, but I wanted to let you know God has been moving in the hearts of His children on your behalf.

Dearest Heavenly Father, God of mercy, Lord of faithfulness,

With out stretched arms we reach up to You Father, longing for the day when Your glory will be apparent to every eye, when every knee will bow and all the earth will proclaim Jesus is Lord, Son of the Father, with the Holy Spirit, perfect, righteous God. How joyous and fearful it is to come before you — true Awe before The Sovereign Creator of all — and with contrite hearts, with tears of Your grace cry out to You on behalf of Piper’s “light and temporary trial.”

Jesus. . . You know full well after taking on human flesh how lowly humans suffer pain. You know full well the pain of suffering. You know how even those things which we will one day know truly were “light and temporary” seem today to be heavy and all consuming in our thoughts. Fill Piper with the knowledge and peace that only You can give, peace that makes no sense at all amidst the storms of this world.

Abba, You know our hearts in the deepest hidden parts, the parts we cannot fully express, the parts Your Holy Spirit cries out from when we cannot speak. Holy Spirit, fill those spaces in Piper’s heart this night, this moment. Cause rest, joy, surety, trust and belief to be in, around and overflowing Piper. Thank You, Holy God, for Your messages given in the Bible that give us peace. Thank You for giving us the words of the man who cried out to Jesus, “I believe, help me in my unbelief!” We believe Father, but we too cry out for Your help in our unbelief! Help us, our Father! While we walk this hard earthen ball we live in sinful flesh and need Your hands to upon and guide our every step.

Please, Holy Spirit, go before everything and everyone involved with Piper’s procedure tomorrow. Please, Great Physician, we beg for Your overwhelming care and healing in Piper’s body starting right now. We fall before You this night in grateful adoration Abba, knowing You are in control, always and eternally, for Your glory, for Your righteousness, for Your sovereignty, and for Your child — Piper’s — good.

Thank you, oh Lord of Heaven and earth, for bending low this night to hear our cries.
        We thank and praise You in Your Son’s precious Name, Jesus.

• piper567 says:

thank you Raven, thank all of you, for the strength which prayer provides, and the knowing that prayers do indeed flow.
          In the Book of Hebrews it says “…faith is a substance…”; I’ve always liked that.
          Sometimes it does seem that prayer is a substance, its capacity to lift one is so substantial.
          God bless you all as the day is done…

20. duchess01 says:

21. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

22. BakoCarl says:

Be sure of this. In the last days hard times will come. People will love themselves. They will love money. They will talk about themselves and be proud. They will say wrong things about people. They will not obey their parents. They will not be thankful. They will not keep anything holy. They will have no love. They will not agree with anybody. They will tell lies about people. They will have no self-control. They will beat people. They will not love anything that is good. They cannot be trusted. They will act quickly, without thinking. They are proud of themselves. They love to have fun more than they love God. They get foolish people to believe them. They are men who have wrong thoughts in their minds. They do not believe. Bad men and those who fool other people will grow worse and worse. They will fool other people, and other people will fool them.

All who want to live a good life in Christ Jesus will be troubled by other people. We must have patience, love, and strength to bear trouble.

So, keep on doing the things we have learned from God’s Word. They are right. They show how to be saved by believing in Christ Jesus.

All that is written in the holy writings comes from the Spirit of God. The holy writings are good for these things: to teach, to show when things are wrong, to see what is right, to teach to do what is right.

23. Sentient says:

On Meet the Press, Arizona Senator Jeff Flake’s first sentence lamented “nativism”. What an A-hole.

• Bendix says:

Even saying “native” is raycist. Someone should tell him.
      The only exception is when you say “native” immediately followed by “American”, because then people can magically hear you pronouncing the capital N.
      If you were to say native American with a small n, that would be raycist too.

24. AFVet says:

I dare you not to laugh.

• auscitizenmom says:

I was walking my dog one day and there was a woman walking about 15 feet ahead of me and her body order was overwhelming even at that distance. 🙄 Lucky I don’t have this guy’s problem.

• smiley says:

no fun getting stuck behind this, on the bike in the morning on trash day with a headwind & dripping humidity…

• Bendix says:

Dog probably thought it was just great.

• wondering999 says:

LOL! My dog used to go out and find something that really smelled like cow poop. I have no idea where exactly, there were no cowfields nearby at the time. He’d roll in it. This happened several times. He’d come back so proud of himself, strutting, like he smelled great… I think his feelings were a little hurt when I pulled out the water hose and shampoo… Lord, I miss that stinky mutt. Heaven is lucky to have him

25. Jlwary says:

I was looking up local politics and came across this article about free speech. In the comment section there is a character, “Rob F.” who seems to think only he is intelligent. I have no desire to look at the liberal cockamamie he is citing. I thought I would post here to see if any fellow treepers have it in them to counter his arguments and defend white people alongside me. He is exhausting and supremely condescending.

• smiley says:

um…??

just skimming over the WORDY fake & predictable outrage, the cutesy phrase “institutional accountability” jumped out at me, as a very pretentious disguise for exactly what they insist this isn’t : CENSORSHIP.

I don’t particularly like her work…but it’s very good, for that genre of painting.

none of it is “pretty”…almost all of it is provocative.

just as almost ALL art that isn’t “pretty” is provocative.

the art institutions have no responsibility to not offend anyone….ever.

and those who are offended need to just move on and avoid looking at it, if it disgusts them.

maybe she should also have installed some LADDERS…so the snowflakes could GET OVER THEMSELVES.

• Jlwary says:

Thanks. It’s definitely provocative. What she painted didn’t strike me so much as how she painted it. Colors are nice.

• I did read your interchange with him, but to me the extended discussion reads like two people unable (possibly unwilling) to agree to disagree. You had cogent points, and so did he. In that sense you both might be partially “right”.

This happens in here too. It’s necessary sometimes to realize some complex issues (including the racial issues and perceptions you were discussing) can have more than two valid ways of looking at them.

If you have become exhausted and feel condescended to by engaging with a stranger, why not just quit? To put it another way, even if you managed to win the argument, what is it exactly that you “win”?

But I sympathize with your passion, and with not wanting to stop. Adrenaline is addictive, and there’s a guy in here who has tried repeatedly to bait me into arguments. I have to remind myself to try not to react emotionally, because it can’t go anywhere productive. Some discussions work better face-to-face. It enforces a greater level of mutual respect. Arguments based in text alone can encourage mistakes in good manners.

• Jlwary says:

I’ve quit for now. I think he may have had some points, but I realized that I am completely judging crazy leftist talking points, and the citing of crazy leftist ideas. It all seems made up! what I can’t stand this white privilege talking point. In my experience, my whiteness has gotten me picked last, or not at all, for some jobs because I don’t meet a quota or speak another language, despite other merits. I accept that is how it is in liberal Boston with a large Hispanic and Middle East population. I have found other jobs elsewhere, just further from my house outside Boston..

It may be irrational on my part, but I am so annoyed by this white privilege attack. Even more is that shame, rather than solutions, seems to be the end goal in pointing it out. And rather than people say, hey wow white people get it, they become resentful. It is infuriating to me–like what are we supposed to do here?? My solution is the Golden Rule, and opportunities should be based on merit.

I wasn’t trying to win, more than I would have hoped to just converse, but it got to a point where I felt I was listening to a politician… like what? Lol

26. Bendix says:

Prayers to those weary in the spirit on this day.

27. ditzee58 says:

The WaPo doxed a 9 year old boy, Pickles. This little guy wrote a letter supporting President Trump. Sarah Huckabee read it during a briefing.
    “The Washington Post revealed the boy’s name, his hometown and his mother’s name.” Mediaite also exposed him.
    The media is out of hand. Praying the mother reports these reporters to the police.

28. amwick says:

Woot woot… I finished my CNN meme gif and emailed to to Mr. Pinko. It was not nearly as cool and sophisticated as I had hoped. It kinda looked wobbly, but hey, it was fun. Live and learn…

29. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen

30. Good Evening Treepers,

Today is exactly 4 years since my son Josiah (the one many of you have been praying for recently) underwent his Liver Transplant. I have created a Long Post on my blog the chronicles much of that journey, from initially finding the Liver Masses/tumors through the first couple of days post transplant.

Because there was so much material I’d written, & I wanted to officially post it on the anniversary date the post isn’t as refined as I hope to make it in the coming days. This is just to share the link with you in case any might be interested in aspects of that Transplant Tale (without going to the care pages blog & slogging through all the original material).

God has been so good to us & he is continuing to be at work in Josiah’s life! Blessings, Valerie

Later “tonight” I’ll try to post an update on how he’s currently doing…