“Every child has the right to fulfill their potential, and, if we do our jobs, then we will never have to tell young, striving Americans to defer their dreams for another day or for another decade. “ ~ President Donald Trump

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump on Wednesday asked Congress to work with him on extending school choice programs nationwide to benefit millions of students, including low-income African-American and Hispanic children.  Full Event Video:

[Transcript] 10:42 A.M. EDT – THE PRESIDENT:  This is very exciting.  So yesterday I said that our spending bill was a win for the American people, which is exactly what it was — an amazing day.  And this is what winning for young children and kids from all over the country looks like.

The opportunity scholarship program that we’re funding allows families in the inner city of our nation’s capital to leave failing public schools and attend a private school, making an extraordinary difference in these incredible young lives.  You’re so lucky.  (Laughter.)  Great.  You’re happy about it?  Huh?  (Applause.)  That’s great.

The results speak for themselves.  Ninety-eight percent of scholarship recipients represent their high school diplomas, and they’re really very, very special.  They go into tremendous successes.  So I think you’re going to all be very, very successful.  You have a big start, right?  Great start.

This is a beautiful event, and I’m thrilled to be here.  I congratulate the families in the audience.  Our families are very proud of the children.  Are you all proud of children, I hope?  (Applause.)  Anybody not proud?  We’re very proud of you.

During my campaign for President, I promised to fight for school choice — very important.  It was featured in my Joint Address to Congress.  And today, I’m calling on all lawmakers to work with us to help extend school choice to millions more children all across the United States of America, including millions of low-income Hispanic and African American children who deserve the same chance as every other child in America to live out their dreams and fill up their hearts and be educated at the top, top level.  (Applause.)

Every child has the right to fulfill their potential, and, if we do our jobs, then we will never have to tell young, striving Americans to defer their dreams for another day or for another decade.  We’re not going to do that.

I’m honored to be here.  I’m so proud to be with these wonderful families and wonderful children.  And I’m deeply excited for the amazing things that lie ahead for these truly inspiring young Americans right here in Washington, D.C. — our capital.

And I will say that I’m very, very proud of all of you.  You know, I wasn’t supposed to be here.  It wasn’t on my schedule.  When I heard what was going on with Betsy, who’s doing such a great job, I said, well, I’ll come in and I’ll interrupt Betsy, and maybe I’ll be allowed to say a few words.  (Laughter.)  But she’s a great woman and doing a fantastic job.

Congratulations to all of you and to your families.  Congratulations, everybody.  Congratulations.  (Applause.)  Thank you.

END – 10:45 A.M. EDT

This entry was posted in Big Government, Dem Hypocrisy, Education, Election 2018, Election 2020, Legislation, media bias, Mike pence, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to President Trump, VP Pence and Betsy Devos Ask Congress To Expand School Choice Nationwide…

1. freddiel says:

I hope that the “choice” includes getting rid of common core and indoctrination.

• dalethorn says:

Oh, please, oh, please!

• MrE says:

Oh please let it be so. #MakeEducationGreatAgain

• Common Core is curriculum. The President’s proposed scholarship program is about helping parents choose a school for their child(ren) that they think is best, whether the school is public, private or parochial. Nothing to do with curriculum.

Common Core was (suggested) to state education departments and local school districts as a preferable curriculum. Many of us (90%?) disagreed.

• Truthfilter says:

It is my understanding that federal funding was attached to states who implemented Common Core. The funding -or the withholding of it–is how the Department of Education controls public education. States (especially state bureaucrats) want every penny they can get.

• carolinerh says:

I understand that Common Core is going away, thank God, along with the lousy michael’s lunch program. I also hope teachers will be vetted to normal, sane, really great teachers and not living as born with gender set or molesting students. They need to be removed as a very serious danger to students.

• Truthfilter says:

I worked with a tranny. Actually, we didn’t know what he or she was. Appeared to be a man dressed as a woman, had a manly tone of voice. A very friendly but very ineffective teacher. His/her weirdness was too big of a distraction.

2. Owlen Rose says:

Wait, Trump is helping Blacks and Hispanics? Who’s going to vote for the Dems? 😉

• dalethorn says:

The same illegals that got Clinton her “popular vote” margin in California.

• M. Mueller says:

I hope it’s not only for low income. Middle to higher-middle income are hurting too much to pay private school fees; they are the ones who never get a break on anything.

• Janice says:

It bugs me when they say low income of saying disadvantaged whites. Maybe I’m just picky but my kids suffered right along with minorities in the putrid Cali school system.

• Janice says:

Instead. Ugh

• Gil says:

Here in California, my sons preschool is going to be 385/month, including paying for holidays, etc. Its private, small, reputable, and sadly the least expensive i have found. Some want $1000 a month and are indignant when I scoff. I honestly hope the public school in my area isnt a liberal pit, but if it is, private school, charter, home school is worrisome for a multitude of reasons. I will make something work to our advantage but school costs are ridiculous!

• Ad rem says:

Gil….Here in Cali, Montessori charges @2,000 a mo. for their toddler daycare program (approx 7:30 am to 4:30 pm.)

• Gil says:

Oh Ad! how does anyone but the really wealthy afford that? I am my own daycare. My husband just doesnt have any understanding about me being a sahm vs ft work. Cost vs benefit and all that. I went to private school in L.A. and it wasnt that much, comparatively. Theres a school nearby, Catholic private, about 22k a year.
              Methinks home school unless we can leave cali will win out.

• Ad rem says:

I know….my daughter works all kinds of overtime to try and justify the expense. The cost of housing is so high out in Orange County, that both parents have to work to make a decent house payment. 😦

• Ono says:

There used to be a saying…”Behind the Orange Curtain” because Orange county was old heritage, and ultra conservative.

One good tidal wave is what Ca needs.

That wave is President Trump…

• Ad rem says:

Orange Co. used to be reliably conservative…..until Santa Ana became overrun with illegal immigrants, and Irvine became Mecca for quite a large Muslim community. Nowadays, the rule of thumb is: everything West of the 405 FWY is conservative, everything East….not so much.

• Ono says:

Loretta Sanchez!

Haven’t lived there for eight year, but parts of Fullerton, Anaheim and Yorba Linda are still very Conservative.

Tides change. Hang in there. When “green money” (Sanctuary city) goes …then you might just end up on the ocean side of PCH.

• Ad rem says:

LOL…the ocean side of PCH. 😀 Hey…if Loretta doesn’t watch it, she’s going to lose her seat to the Vietnamese…they’re coming!

• Ono says:

The Vietnamese came to Garden Grove as refugees. They were housed at Camp Pendleton. They were employed initially at Coast Catamaran as semesters. They hate Loretta!!! No one gave these hard working refugees dime.

They assimilated immediately, learned the language and hoisted an American flag in their front yard the day they EARNED their citizenship.

I have always said… last OC native to leave town…grab the flag, and make sure to have your dog..because there are people hat eat them

• Ad rem says:

Yep….our very first house was in Westminster which is now called “Little Saigon”. They came close to cutting down Sanchez last time….this time we’ll be rooting for them. LOL…and I’ve heard more stories about the animal shelters that had no problem finding homes for the “big” dogs….gnome sayin’. 🙂

• Ono says:

Saw President Trump in Costa Mesa…

Out of nowhere Carlos an acquaintance of thirty years ago shows up next to me in line His parents were orange pickers, who followed the rules and became citizens of the US…
                    Carlos at the time was a Cruz supporter until someone in line educated hi that Cruz was no eligible!

He is Trump 24/7…Mexican/ San Juan Inian

• Gil says:

My parents were going to move us to Westminster in the 80s and changed their mind at last minute!

• Gil says:

Ad..my posts are acting wierd, freezing up post reboot…sorry i posted almost same thing 2x.

• Ad rem says:

No problem….my “notifications” isn’t working properly either. Little glitches like this always pop up when WordPress is testing for a new release. Who knows?

• G. Combs says:

Gil,
                Check out Dr Robinson’s Home Schooling. He is the chemist who took over Petr Bekmann’s Access to Energy He and his research group came up with the method out of desperation when his wife suddenly died leaving him with several children to educate AND a business to run..
                Homeschool Curriculum Excellence – Robinson Self-Teaching Homeschool Curriculum

It was $200 for the entire 12 years (You have to buy the text books) when we bought it to help tutor local kids.

Also check into Homeschool co-ops. Local churches here in North Carolina have groups with class rooms and special events/teachers invited in.

• Gil says:

Both you Ad rem and Ono are helpful, and I may seek you out time to time for your opinions.
              Ono, I know exactly what youre saying about all the freebies. I had no idea it was going on this signifucantly for so long. No wonder we have the most illegals coming here for over a generation!!! We moved from an area that shut the closest elementary school for k-5, then turned the tiny campus into a STEM for 6-12th. But my son would have been sent to the ESL majority school in a very very bad area. He wouldve been picked on to no end and academically behind.
              The O

• Ono says:

Gil,

Twenty some years ago my kids entered the Ca public school system. Their elementary school had a 270 degree ocean view (RH Dana in Dana Point). They ( my children)were the 17 percent white minority. All the other kids were from family’s whose parents worked in the hotel industry (Ritz Carlton, St Regis) landscape or Housekeeping/Nanny business for the surrounding gate guarded enclaves. Non English speaking illegals!!!

I worked six days a week as a general contractor, to live day to day at times. The illegals not only were able to get their kids free breakfast, lunches/ clothing, bus service and after school care…their parents were also able to get a hot breakfast in the morning as well…

My kids pre school…twenty years ago in Laguna Beach was $400.00 per month on Tues and Thursday from 8 to 12…with a sur charge if not picked up on time. My mother who volunteered at the “friends of the Library” (selling used books because funding for library’s was cut) offered to watch my daughter at the library for half the amount so long as the money went into the Library… My daughter became an avid reader (like Poppy) and was years above her peers. She is home schooling my grandson and I can’t tell you how happy I am!

FYI…my mother and father worked in education as well as many of my cousins, aunts and Uncles, as well as my grandfather who helped set up affordable education (the junior college system). My grand father was dean of admissions at Cal Berkley and UCLA. He would be so angry and ashamed of how his Cal has come to be.

I am not leaving Ca. I am going to be here to witness the draining of Sacramento delta swamp!!!…Are you hearing this Governor Brown???

• Gil says:

Ono, you and Ad Rem are going to be people I seek out time to time. I did not know that the freebies for illegals were so vast for so long. No wonder we are the illegal magnet, l.a., i.e., sanfran. Generational theft from us.
              In my area the schools even give free food during summer.
              My son would have been sent to the majority esl elementary school in a gang ridden downtown as probably one of the few fair skin kids. He would have been teased, bullied or worse and academically behind. They close for 3 weeks at christmas bc the illegals go on extended vacay back to mex. The majority middle class kids school was closed dt poor enrollment, then later reopened as a STEM for 6 to 12th. We moved…..but preschool this yr and next, then?????????
              I

• Gil says:

My understanding is once the progs took over the regents board, they rewrote the uc mission statements and that caused a shift from education to indoctrination. I can tell you stories of a dean who actually said in front of a roomful of people how good it was to be getting back at whites via intentional non white enrollment. Or how I was assaulted in said program by another dean and the system chief of police told a secretary to tell me and my husband to f off when I asked for the police report, you know, since I was a victim. Im concerned for everyones kids, esp mine for just cause.
              Thank you both, I heart cth. If only we had our own school!!!!

• Ono says:

Fullerton Union High School

Richard Nixon spent his freshman year there. My grandmother who lived in Laguna Beach at the time, went there and graduated in the first class. she lived in a tent Monday through Friday at school and rode horse back home to be with he family, on week ends

Orange county will never be sold off as long a I am alive.

• Ono says:

We do

• Owlen Rose says:

I don’t think the Dems aren’t going to be happy with this poll. Trump now at 45% With Hispanics.

• carolinerh says:

Owlen, many blacks, hispanics and we Independents made up our own minds and voted for Trump, as well as many democrats who as my godson said were fed up with the democrats!

3. Bob says:

That’s a given….

4. sunnydaze says:

If Obama had done this, it would lead the news tonite on every single station across the US, local, national, all of ’em.

Such a great, uplifting story.

5. Weeper says:

He truly enjoys this! The HEART ❤️ part!!!! Love to see it!

MAGA!!!! 🦁

6. Pam says:

This was a great little ceremony. I would encourage folks to watch it.

• carolinerh says:

Trump loves children and wants the best for all. His family reflects that same love of children, education, refinement, and class!

7. bessie2003 says:

The smiles on their faces – priceless!

• MIKE says:

IK,R? I could not concentrate on Ms. Devos’ speech, just could not stop giggling to my self because of the girl in the foreground, red sweater, just grinning up a storm! Too precious!

8. rashamon says:

I thought PDJT was going to support moving education back to the states where parents can have more impact instead of having dozens of layers of bureaucracy to battle.

• dalethorn says:

It will be interesting to see how that works out. The whole business of having the feds “grant” money to states just shifts power to the feds.

• ALEX says:

Here is a question for you….Please explain President Trumps plan….Im sure you have read it and studied it…Give us a little report on your concerns about it…

• Presidential Executive Order on Enforcing Statutory Prohibitions on Federal Control of Education. From the The White House:

Section 1. Policy. It shall be the policy of the executive branch to protect and preserve State and local control over the curriculum, program of instruction, administration, and personnel of educational institutions, schools, and school systems, consistent with applicable law, including ESEA, as amended by ESSA, and ESEA’s restrictions related to the Common Core State Standards developed under the Common Core State Standards Initiative.
      Sec. 2. Review of Regulations and Guidance Documents. (a) The Secretary of Education (Secretary) shall review all Department of Education (Department) regulations and guidance documents relating to DEOA, GEPA, and ESEA, as amended by ESSA.

PDJT said in a recent presser: “My administration has been working to reverse this fed power grab and give power back to cities and states, give power back to localities, “ said Trump. “The Executive Order I’m signing today is another critical step into restoring local control, which is so important.”

• rashamon says:

Thanks, snaggletooths. That’s the “local control” quote I remember. I’m satisfied just as long as we’re taking steps toward local control and shaving off the bureaucracy which often contains more people than the number of teachers in a school.

• carolinerh says:

That is the goal but you have to set some precedents as the states have not had much practice for decades on handling their own education/schools/programs. The states are the end goal.

9. Scott says:

Another campaign promise he is trying to keep. Peeling off more dem votes.

But the ones who jumped off the Train will say Trump doesn’t mean it. I’m loving their tears.

10. FLEEVY says:

Beautiful. How does school choice fit into the Uniparty framework – is this something that might happen?

11. jackphatz says:

GEEZ!!!!! How and why does Congress have to give it’s “permission” for children to be properly educated. We have allowed them, the government, to act a$$ backwards with this one too. Stop putting the feds in control of everyday life. Just say no more!!

12. Dan says:

“School choice” destroyed our local public school system. People who push it are snake-oil salesmen.

Our high school used to produce 10-12 National Merit Scholars a year, had regionally dominant music and sports programs.

They opened enrollment and the inner city and disadvantaged flooded in. Did they take advantage of the opportunities? No, they were unable to.

They are disadvantaged not because they don’t have iPads, but because they come from lousy homes saturated in lousy liberal decadence.

Now we are lucky if there is one National Merit scholar in a year; the music and sports programs are a joke. Everything is about dealing with gross social pathologies. It is ruined.

The idea that “school choice” will uplift the disadvantaged is a trojan horse. It destroys in the process of reverting to the lowest common denominator. Uniparty all the way.

13. Angry Dumbo says:

My kids go to public school and I firmly believe competition in the form of school choice is the only thing that can shake public schools out of their pattern of complacency and failure.

Well done, Team Trump!

MAGA ’20

• Truthfilter says:

The only way it will work is if schools can set their own standards/requirements for enrollment. (And this will never, ever happen in public education.) We have some degree of school choice already in place here in Louisiana. In failing schools, parents can receive vouchers and take their kids elsewhere. I don’t know how well this is working out. Lots of private schools choose not to accept vouchers because of the state testing and curriculum requirements attached.

Louisiana is a friendly state for home-schoolers, though. Our former governor made it a law that public schools have to allow homeschooled students within their districts to participate in sports, music, band, theatre, and fine arts courses. We have homeschooled kids on our public school football teams, cheer squads, bands, etc. This is only fair since their parents’ taxes support those public schools.

14. Dan says:

Recently spent time with some high-school kids, looked like typical white skate-board slacker boys. They went to magnet school, told about how much homework they have, said they had been told their school “was harder than UCLA”.

I asked them what they were studying: “We’re learning to understand our racial identities and how racism is part of the US system”. The parent was sitting right there and for the next 5 minutes refused to make eye contact with me, only stared at the ground.

Another girl high-school girl was covered in tattoos (who pays for THAT?) and was jazzed about a lead on a summer job: “It will be awesome because my boss will be hispanic!”

A third high-school girl was going on quite loudly about her “girl friend”, making it very clear how “special” their relationship was.

Vomit city, all of them.

15. The 5-month Budget Deal for 2017 gives Washington, D.C. Students 3 years of School Choice.

Next Up: President Trump makes Congress decide for/against giving School Choice to inner-city Blacks and Hispanics.

WINNER for the 2018 Elections!

16. Wakefield says:

I hope these private schools don’t become public schools lite with the government funds tied to these kids…

• Truthfilter says:

17. Interesting review however the very SAD part is that school choices will lapse into the following, The high end private schools where tuition is very high the students are placed on a waiting list. If any opening comes about than the school will select a student from the waiting list. So where does the disadvantage student come in? Will not. That leaves private religious schools who likely will accept vouchers due to need for income but wait, will every parent choose a private religious school if it is not the religion they choose or are following. Than the good part of public education is that the school boards are elected officials and if they don’t do the job they will get voted out. However, not so with privates as they don’t elected a board and whom ever is on the board, good or bad never gets voted out. That way the students are under the control of not good always board members and no over sight is possible. As the article talks, it seems as if common core in some form or another will be a mandate with voucher schools education and the States will follow as Truth Finder the person who makes the best sense informs that funding was attached to States who implemented common core. The funding or the with holding of it is how the Dept. of Ed. controls public Ed. States especially states bureaucrats and they want every penny they can get. So, where are we back to day before one. My suggestion from experience is to have a child who needs more help attend the Magnet schools systems. Investigate them and I am sure you will be impressed. They run under the school boards of public education. The Feds don’t need to run a State Dept. of Ed or have the director Betsy DeVos who was not supported in any way by any teachers, or school boards and in fact it was a fight for her to get chosen. It has been revealed lately on face book that when the election in Georgia the candidate running for the Democratic party won due to reported influence of funding by promotion nuf said. I hope this brings a little more insight to the blessings not ahead for our voucher children in the future and yes, Common Core has been reported to be alive and well and maybe soon the name will change.

• G. Combs says:

“…the director Betsy DeVos who was not supported in any way by any teachers, or school boards and in fact it was a fight for her to get chosen….”

Sound good to me — The enemy of my enemy is my friend and US teachers are saturated with John Dewey — Dumbing Down America George Count or should I say his KGB handler Anna Osipovna (transformed into Nucia Lodge)

In 1931 Houghton Mifflin published New Russia’s Primer: The Story of the Five-Year Plan, by M. Ilin, translated from the Russian by George S. Counts, Associate Director of the International Institute and Professor of Education in Teachers College, and Nucia P. Lodge, Research Assistant in the International Institute.

We see that Anna Osipovna has transformed herself into Nucia Lodge. And we see that the dapper professor Counts modestly claims that he translated the book, while grudgingly crediting his KGB handler. The payload of this unbelievably brazen covert influence operation is straight out of Muenzenberg’s manual.

Muenzenberg’s payload: “You think the capitalist system is corrupt…You’re frightened…by the oppression of the working man…You think the Russians are trying a great human experiment…”
      Counts’ New Russia’s Primer:

In America the machine is not a helper to the worker, not a friend, but an enemy. Every new machine, every new invention, throws out upon the streets thousands of workers. In glass factories one person now makes three thousand bottles an hour. In former times such a task required seventy-seven men. This means that each machine for the making of bottles deprives seventy-six men of employment. And the American worker despises the machine which takes away his bread.

But how is it with us [Russians]? The more machines we have, the easier will be the work, the shorter will be the working day, the lighter and happier will be the lives of all.

We build factories in order that there may be no poverty, no filth, no sickness, no unemployment, no exhausting labor— in order that life may be rational and just…We build in our country [the U.S.S.R.] a new, an unheard-of, a socialistic order.

The newly-minted “Russian expert” from Columbia delivered the KGB payload directly into the cultural heart of America. “Capitalism is corrupt! Russia’s experiment is working!” screamed his text.The Primer was a selection for Book-a-Month Club members in May 1931, and 46,000 members chose it. Counts’ first influence project was a best-seller for seven months, and ranked eighty-first on the list of nonfiction bestsellers from 1921-1932. Cloaked in his non-partisan, academic-research cover, Counts delivered the anti-capitalist payload into schools, universities, and living rooms across America. […]

From Willing Accomplices: How KGB Covert Influence Agents Created Political Correctness and Destroyed America by Kent Clizbe