President Trump Remarks at U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Day of Remembrance…

President Donald Trump speaks at the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum National Days of Remembrance. April 25th:

[TRANSCRIPT] 11:30 A.M. EDT – THE PRESIDENT:  Thank you very much.  Thank you.  Friends, members of Congress, ambassadors, veterans, and, most especially, to the survivors here with us today, it’s an honor to join you on this very, very solemn occasion.  I am deeply moved to stand before those who survived history’s darkest hour.  Your cherished presence transforms this place into a sacred gathering.

Thank you, Tom Bernstein, Alan Holt, Sara Bloomfield, and everyone at the Holocaust Memorial Council and Museum for your vital work and tireless contributions.

We are privileged to be joined by Israel’s Ambassador to the United States, friend of mine — he’s done a great job and said some wonderful words — Ron Dermer.

The State of Israel is an eternal monument to the undying strength of the Jewish people.  The fervent dream that burned in the hearts of the oppressed is now filled with the breath of life, and the Star of David waves atop a great nation arisen from the desert.

To those in the audience who have served America in uniform, our country eternally thanks you.  We are proud and grateful to be joined today by veterans of the Second World War who liberated survivors from the camps.  Your sacrifice helped save freedom for the world — for the entire world.  (Applause.)

Sadly, this year marks the first Day of Remembrance since the passing of Elie Wiesel, a great person, a great man.  His absence leaves an empty space in our hearts, but his spirit fills this room.  It is the kind of gentle spirit of an angel who lived through hell, and whose courage still lights the path from darkness.

Though Elie’s story is well known by so many people, it’s always worth repeating.  He suffered the unthinkable horrors of the Holocaust.  His mother and sister perished in Auschwitz.  He watched his father slowly dying before his own young eyes in Buchenwald.  He lived through an endless nightmare of murder and death, and he inscribed on our collective conscience the duty we have to remember that long, dark night so as never to again repeat it.

The survivors in this hall, through their testimony, fulfill the righteous duty to never forget, and engrave into the world’s memory the Nazi genocide of the Jewish people.  You witnessed evil, and what you saw is beyond description, beyond any description.

Many of you lost your entire family, everything and everyone you loved, gone.  You saw mothers and children led to mass slaughter.  You saw the starvation and the torture.  You saw the organized attempt at the extermination of an entire people — and great people, I must add.  You survived the ghettos, the concentration camps and the death camps.  And you persevered to tell your stories.  You tell of these living nightmares because, despite your great pain, you believe in Elie’s famous plea, that “For the dead and the living, we must bear witness.”

That is why we are here today — to remember and to bear witness.  To make sure that humanity never, ever forgets.

The Nazis massacred 6 million Jews.  Two out of every three Jews in Europe were murdered in the genocide.  Millions more innocent people were imprisoned and executed by the Nazis without mercy, without even a sign of mercy.

Yet, even today, there are those who want to forget the past.  Worse still, there are even those filled with such hate, total hate, that they want to erase the Holocaust from history.  Those who deny the Holocaust are an accomplice to this horrible evil.  And we’ll never be silent — we just won’t — we will never, ever be silent in the face of evil again.  (Applause.)

Denying the Holocaust is only one of many forms of dangerous anti-Semitism that continues all around the world.  We’ve seen anti-Semitism on university campuses, in the public square, and in threats against Jewish citizens.  Even worse, it’s been on display in the most sinister manner when terrorists attack Jewish communities, or when aggressors threaten Israel with total and complete destruction.

This is my pledge to you:  We will confront anti-Semitism (Applause.)  We will stamp out prejudice.  We will condemn hatred.  We will bear witness.  And we will act.  As President of the United States, I will always stand with the Jewish people — and I will always stand with our great friend and partner, the State of Israel.

So today, we remember the 6 million Jewish men, women and children whose lives and dreams were stolen from this Earth.

We remember the millions of other innocent victims the Nazis so brutally targeted and so brutally killed.  We remember the survivors who bore more than we can imagine.  We remember the hatred and evil that sought to extinguish human life, dignity, and freedom.

But we also remember the light that shone through the darkness.  We remember sisters and brothers who gave everything to those they loved — survivors like Steven Springfield, who, in the long death march, carried his brother on his back.  As he said, “I just couldn’t give in.”

We remember the brave souls who banded together to save the lives of their neighbors — even at the risk of their own life.  And we remember those first hopeful moments of liberation, when at long last the American soldiers arrived in camps and cities throughout occupied Europe, waving the same beautiful flags before us today, speaking those three glorious words:  “You are free.”

It is this love of freedom, this embrace of human dignity, this call to courage in the face of evil that the survivors here today have helped to write onto our hearts.  The Jewish people have endured oppression, persecution, and those who have sought and planned their destruction.  Yet, through the suffering, they have persevered.  They have thrived.  And they have enlightened the world.  We stand in awe of the unbreakable spirit of the Jewish people.

I want to close with a story enshrined in the Museum that captures the moment of liberation in the final days of the war.

It is the story of Gerda Klein, a young Jewish woman from Poland. Some of you know her.  Gerda’s family was murdered by the Nazis. She spent three years imprisoned in labor camps, and the last four months of the war on a terrible death march.  She assumed it was over.  At the end, on the eve of her 21st birthday, her hair had lost all of its color, and she weighed a mere 68 pounds.  Yet she had the will to live another day.  It was tough.

Gerda later recalled the moment she realized that her long-awaited deliverance had arrived.  She saw a car coming towards her.  Many cars had driven up before, but this one was different.  On its hood, in place of that wretched swastika, was a bright, beautiful, gleaming white star.  Two American soldiers got out. One walked up to her.  The first thing Gerda said was what she had been trained to say:  “We are Jewish, you know.”  “We are Jewish.”  And then he said, “So am I.”  It was a beautiful moment after so much darkness, after so much evil.

As Gerda took this solider to see the other prisoners, the American did something she had long forgotten to even expect — he opened the door for her.  In Gerda’s words, “that was the moment of restoration of humanity, of humanness, of dignity, and of freedom.”

But the story does not end there.  Because, as some of you know, that young American soldier who liberated her and who showed her such decency would soon become her husband.  A year later, they were married.  In her words, “He opened not only the door for me, but the door to my life and to my future.”

Gerda has since spent her life telling the world of what she witnessed.  She, like those survivors who are among us today, has dedicated her life to shining a light of hope through the dark of night.

Your courage strengthens us.  Your voices inspire us.  And your stories remind us that we must never, ever shrink away from telling the truth about evil in our time.  Evil is always seeking to wage war against the innocent and to destroy all that is good and beautiful about our common humanity.  But evil can only thrive in darkness.  And what you have brought us today is so much more powerful than evil.  You have brought us hope — hope that love will conquer hatred, that right will defeat wrong, and that peace will rise from the ashes of war.

Each survivor here today is a beacon of light, and it only takes one light to illuminate even the darkest space.  Just like it takes only one truth to crush a thousand lies and one hero to change the course of history.  We know that in the end, good will triumph over evil, and that as long as we refuse to close our eyes or to silence our voices, we know that justice will ultimately prevail.

So today we mourn.  We remember.  We pray.  And we pledge:  Never again.

Thank you.  God bless you, and God bless America.  Thank you very much.  Thank you.  (Applause.)

END – 11:45 A.M. EDT

This entry was posted in Israel, media bias, President Trump, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to President Trump Remarks at U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum Day of Remembrance…

1. MIKE says:

A most moving speech and story, of Gerda. After eight years of scripted heartless canned speech filled with ignorant mispronounciations, this is most welcome from the President. Gotta go. That dang pollen has got my eyes watering again… May God bless us all.

2. Raven says:

I have so much respect and admiration for our President, and right now. . . I also cherish the good man he is.

• tellthetruth2016 says:

That was such a beautiful speech … I can’t quit crying, Thank you Lord for this President. And bless this Country and those who survived and their families ……..

3. joshua says:

Thank you, God, for bringing us a true Leader of Men for our nation…..Under God, Indivisible, With liberty for all….

4. missmarple2 says:

This was really a beautiful speech. It breaks my heart that such a good man has been portrayed as a villain. May God watch over him.

5. Dr T says:

A great man , a good man , a man who loves humanity and the dignity of life and everyone’s inalienable right to enjoy that gift from
    Our Creator. Thank you Lord for creating this man that will help to save your children all over the world .

6. maiingankwe says:

Earlier this morning I closed my eyes and listened to our President speak these words. I thought his words were beautiful and his heart shone through.

My Dad and I went to the Holocaust museum in D.C. years back. When one walks out of those doors they become a different person, nothing will ever be the same as it was before. Too see the evidence of evil can be overwhelming to some and it changes ones heart and their resolve. Maybe it’s why I wear the pin of Israel right below our American flag, I don’t know.

What I do know is there is a phrase I will forever remember our President saying today. “Those who deny the Holocaust are accomplices to evil.” They sure are aren’t they? I’ve met them in many public forums denying the Holocaust and providing their propaganda claiming it is the truth. No matter what evidence you lay before them, they will deny it and call you vile names.

My British Grandfather was taken prisoner by the Germans during the Dunkirk Invasion. He and his fellow Soldiers were given their freedom by American Soldiers. He was a prisoner for four and half years before he was liberated by the Americans and able to go back home to his family. I have a picture of that glorious day. He was so skinny, but the smile, wow, the smile said it all.

My Grandfather believed he owed a debt to America and one he never thought he could repay. Well, until my Father came over for dinner one Sunday. He asked him for my Mom’s hand in marriage, and to be honest, sometimes I wonder if my Grandfather was a tad happier than my Mom, and she was over the moon.

You see, he was giving America his first born. A beautiful and highly intelligent young lady by all accounts. His debt would be paid and America would be just a little bit better with my mom and her presence.

I just wanted to share a beautiful story. And even though my Grandfather was in a different prison than the Jews and others, they still heard of the horrors from the German Soldiers. So when anyone claims and attempts to argue the Holocaust never occurred they are essentially calling my Grandfather a liar. I take exception to that.

Be well good Treepers,
    Ma’iingankwe

7. All American Snowflake says:

Wow! What a blessing to hear Mr. Trump honoring the survivors of the Holocaust. I needed an uplifting story like that today. The vicious main-stream media will never cease to destroy truth at ever opportunity.
    “Then they that feared the Lord spake often one to another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and that thought upon his name.” ~Malachi 3:16 KJV
    On Monday, yesterday, I had the honor to watch Jimmie Johnson win his 82 cup race. Someone, I think it was Jimmie’s spotter because it didn’t sound like Chad Knaus, Jimmie’s crew chief, came on the team radio at about 30 laps to go and said something to the effect: Go get the win, Jimmie, I need to feel some good vibes.
    I just started to cry because I needed some good vibes too. It became tears of happiness when JJ took the checkered flag. JJ even did a polish victory lap to honor the first winner of the Bristol day race. JJ has an awful lot of character just like President Trump.

• maiingankwe says:

I’m happy they were happy tears brought to your eyes. We need those once in awhile.

It is a cool story though, and it was amazing to hear it from my Grandfather. He was a man of few words and emotions, except when he spoke of those years or my Mom and Dad. He was a hard man to please, so this always made it extra special.

Wow, all these memories are flooding back right now, and happy tears along with it.
      Thank you for your kindness and big heart.

I did want to ask you where the race took place though. I don’t know a lot about racing, but I do know their fans take it real serious. I am happy your guy Jimmie won. Congrats to all of you.

Be well,
      Ma’iingankwe

• Hi Ma’iingankwe, Jimmie’s 82 cup win was at Bristol ─ NASCAR’s shortest track at 0.533 mile per lap. JJ had only won at Bristol once before, seven years ago, so it was not his best track now with only two wins there for his whole racing career. Johnson began racing in Cup back in 2001. Johnson’s best tracks tend to be 1-1/2 mile tracks.

Jimmie and the #48 team will make a visit to the White House soon in honor of his 7th Cup Championship. Only two other drivers in the history of NASCAR have seven championships. #48 fans expect Jimmie to excel them all with 9 or 10 Championships.

I guess racing is more of a Cult of Personality thing. I find Jimmie Johnson to epitomize good morals and the #48 Team definitely excels in work ethic.

8. Rainy says:

Wow that was wonderful.

9. Donna in Oregon says:

President Trump is right, good Trumps evil (pun intended).

10. ALEX says:

This was a GREAT speech….It’s to bad in the 20 second news cycle that it won’t get its proper recognition….

11. mikeyboo says:

Now that was a speech of a President. This leader’s words came from a beating heart-not the crap cynically served up by the National Ghoul during the preceding 8 years.

• All American Snowflake says:

“And I will bless them that bless thee [Israel], and curse him that curseth thee [Israel]: and in thee [Israel] shall all families of the earth be blessed.” Genesis 12:3 King James Version (KJV)

America will be blessed again with Donald John Trump as our President.

When Obama rudely turned his back and left the Israeli President, in the middle of a meeting there at the White House and went to have his [Obama’s] dinner, I knew that America was in for a rough time during Obama’s tenure.

12. thesavvyinvester says:

Mr President ( If someone on your team is reading here ) A place to start on your Antisemitism might be College Campuses. Perhaps their is a funding hold back for their less than honorable behavior. As someone close to the Jewish Community they are concerned ( I hear these things in confidence ) and IMHO many Colleges masquerade as paragons of virtue and Diversity when in actuality they are just the opposite. It is time for them to self examine and change.

• thesavvyinvester says:

Oops, it should read: “to start your efforts aimed at reversing Antisemitism might be on College Campuses”,. ( I wish CTH had a correction feature ).

13. A.D. Everard says:

What a wonderful speech. Not only moving but with a tremendously important message. That evil still lives, still hates and still preys on all that is good and decent in the world. It hides under many guises, frequently pretending to be pure and noble and looking for utopia… literally for years worming it’s way into our ideals. We must ever guard against it. Better still to root it out and get rid of it forever, or yet again we will go through this horrid and devastating cycle of inhumanity.

14. Pam says:

15. H.R. says:

Mrs. H.R. and I are vacationing on Hilton Head Island, S.C., and on the way out to do some fishing today, the radio had President Trump on live. His remarks were… Presidential, respectful, reflective, and all that you could ask of a real human being commemorating the horrors of the Holocaust and giving comfort to the survivors.

Three things going on here: 1) He has a daughter who married into a Jewish family and 2) he is a New Yorker. Who in new York doesn’t know or see someone of the the Jewish faith on a daily basis?

The third thing? Many, if not most, New Yorkers know someone who endured the camps or know someone whose relatives did not survive the Holocaust. I believe President Trump is just plain old New York enough to be aware of the atrocities, respect the survivors, and honor the memories of those that did not survive the Holocaust.

And now that Mr. Donald J. Trump is President Trump, he is well qualified to speak in memorium on the remembrance of the Holocaust.

Eenyhoo… that’s what I was hearing in his remarks. I’m off to catch up on the rest of CTH where, no doubt, Sundance has posted an article on Raycisss, miscogynisss, anti-Semite President Trump.

(Oops. Forgot to mention stupid, clownish, no-one-would-ever-vote-for-him-for-dog-catcher PRESIDENT Trump.) ;o)

16. Derek Hagen says:

The number of people who would take a bullet for this man has just gone up.

17. NYGuy54 says:

Yom Hashoah yesterday in Israel

• Ds says:

I encourage readers to visit the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC as there is a striking feature of the museum that is not part of any current display. It is a glass walled bridge that joins two parts of the museum over a Central courtyard. On the glass walls are etched the names of towns in eastern Europe that were erased by the Nazis. The people were killed and the towns were bulldozed and there are many many names. It is quite shocking My ancestors left the pogroms and anti-Semitism of the old country in 1911 and came to the United States and surely would not have survived the blood lands on the killing fields of two Stalin occupations and one Nazi occupation. In fact the half that stayed there did not survive and went up in smoke in the concentration/death camps much like the people in the twin towers on 9/11 were incinerated By a similar hateful anti-semitic ideology.

18. DevBlog says:

I believe that president Trump is that hero. Trump is President Trump, he is well qualified to speak in memorium on the remembrance of the Holocaust.