(Via Reuters) The United States on Monday blacklisted 271 employees of a Syrian government agency it said was responsible for developing chemical weapons, weeks after a poison gas attack killed scores of people in a rebel-held province in Syria.

The U.S. Treasury Department sanctioned 271 employees of Syria’s Scientific Studies and Research Center (SSRC), an agency that Washington says develops chemical weapons for the government of Bashar al-Assad, the Treasury said in a statement.

Some of the people blacklisted had worked on Syria’s chemical weapons program for more than five years, the Treasury Department said. The sanction orders U.S. banks to freeze the assets of any employees named, and bans American companies from conducting business with them.

Those designated were “highly educated” individuals likely to be able to travel outside of Syria and use the international financial system even if they may not have assets abroad, administration officials said during a conference call with reporters.

“These sweeping sanctions target the scientific support center for Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad’s horrific chemical weapons attack on innocent civilian men, women, and children,” U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.

U.S. authorities, he said, would “relentlessly pursue and shut down the financial networks of all individuals involved with the production of chemical weapons used to commit these atrocities.”

The sanctions listings are the latest action taken by the Trump Administration in response to the April 4 chemical attack on Khan Sheikhoun that U.S. authorities say killed nearly 90 people, including children. The United States says Assad’s forces carried out the attack, while Assad has said the attack is a fabrication.

Earlier this month, the United States launched dozens of missiles against a Syrian air base the Pentagon says was used to launch the chemical attack.  (read more)

Syrian President Bashar Assad meets on Wednesday, April 4, 2007 with U.S. House speaker Nancy Pelosi at Ash-Shaeb presidential palace in Damascus. Pelosi arrived here Tuesday as the highest ranking US official to visit Syria since 2003 for talks with the Syrian leadership on the strained relations between Syria and the U.S., to convey a peace message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to President Assad, and to discuss Iraq and other regional issues with Syria. Pelosi’s visit was criticized by the US administration.  (AP Photo Hussein Malla).

This entry was posted in Big Government, President Trump, Russia, Syria, Uncategorized, US Treasury. Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to U.S. Treasury Announces Sanctions Against Employees of Syria Research Center For Aiding Bashir Assad…

1. ZurichMike says:

Tick, tock, tick, tock. Time’s up, Nancy. And all the other traitorous, soulless, anit-US political whores.

No sonder they are screeching so loudly.

2. mark4trump says:

Mnuchin comes across as so, so, so Smart!!! He’s unflappable and I love watching him handle the press. He has such high credibility.

• DDearborn says:

Hmmm

So many con men, criminals all, come across this way. He is without question one of the best. Just ask any of the more than 50,000 people in California alone that got swindled by One West when he was CEO. He is just oozing with credibility. To bad he is completely devoid of honesty, integrity and common decency.

• mark4trump says:

I hear One West Bank did a lot of foreclosures under Mnuchin * Sounds like one of those killers Trump promised to put into leadership. I like him — foreclosures happen because people are in over their head… Don’t blame the bank if you don’t make your payments.

3. annieoakley says:

“It was a fabrication” is not the same as “No we did not”.

4. fangdog says:

Liberals are doing a great job of awareness for everyone, defining the difference between anti-Americans and Patriot-Americans. Any gray lines in the past are now black and white.

5. chojun says:

I continue to maintain that the Syrian chemical attack was either:

1) A false flag attack; or
    2) Reckless stupidity on Assad’s part

I still lean #1 but I’m moving toward #2.

• David says:

I think a false flag staged by the rebels, or possibly an accident when a rebel depot containing chemical weapons was hit. I really hope Trump doesn’t go down the path of Syrian regime change which is a path of failure as happened to Bush the Lesser elsewhere.

• I know. It always worries me when John McCain is happy.

• fleporeblog says:

Won’t happen! Remember this from the meeting with the Italian PM on the 20th of April:

PRESIDENT TRUMP: “I do not see a role in Libya. I think the United States has right now enough roles. We’re in a role everywhere. So I do not see that. I do see a role in getting rid of ISIS. We’re being very effective in that regard. We are doing a job, with respect to ISIS, that has not been done anywhere near the numbers that we’re producing right now. It’s a very effective force we have. We have no choice. It’s a horrible thing to say, but we have no choice. And we are effectively ridding the world of ISIS. I see that as a primary role, and that’s what we’re going to do, whether it’s in Iraq or in Libya or anywhere else. And that role will come to an end at a certain point, and we’ll be able to go back home and rebuild our country, which is what I want to do.”

• vincent cuomo says:

Sorry, Assad like ISIS uses Chemical weapons; neither of them are any good and both should be eliminated from Syria by the type of pressure Trump is applying. No war is going to happen just slowly strangle them and let the Syrian people take out the rubbish.

• swimologist says:

The “Syrian people” you speak of are at the mercy of ISIS, al-Queda, al-Nusra. Get rid of
          of Assad and you will have ISIS in control. You can’t be that ignorant.

• hanna693 says:

Totally agree. anyone that wants Assad gone is against the Christians and is for the muslim brotherhood. Assad protects the Christians. This chemical attack story is a red herring like the Russia connection to President Trump. They are used as a distraction to the positive things Trump has already done for America. They want to drown it out. Russia has been a great help in getting rid of the terrorists in Syria. These liars will do anything to slander either one of them.

• David says:

“Assad like ISIS uses Chemical weapons”

Wrong, Assad allowed his chemical weapons to be confiscated a few years ago. Your claim is out of date.

“neither of them are any good and both should be eliminated from Syria”

Wrong, Assad is good for Syria because he protects Christians and because America is terrible at regime change. Trump should leave Assad alone and you should take your erroneous and discredited Bush the Lesser and Diane Feinstein ideas and recycle them at your nearest recycling center.

• Kaco says:

I am in your position myself, trying to keep an open mind for the sake of our President, but it is painful to read the narratives against Assad when no independent investigation has been done and I have no trust in the CIA.

• Gail says:

And then there is that trip that McShame took to Syria about a month before. Hmmmmm?

• chojun says:

This exactly.

• TreeperInTraining says:

Kaco….I find myself in the same position. The whole Syria thing seems like a Groundhog’s Day Event a’la (insert ME country name here).

He “gassed his own people” dontcha know? Right as the tide had turned and he was winning the war. Perfect time to anger the entire Western population. Lol. Almost as good as when he gassed them right after the red line was imposed and as the U.N. was visiting.

I suspect our CIA backed rebels.

I knew I wasn’t going to like Trump’s foreign policy, and I don’t. I’m difficult to please, though. I haven’t liked our foreign policy in decades.

Much better than the alternative. Imho

• Kaco says:

Yes, just the thought of Hillary as president makes me shudder! Things could definitely be worse. I support truth and justice but even at that, like Farage says, what is going to replace Assad???? Bad news, no doubt! Please, let’s keep the secular dictator that protects Christians.

6. vrajavala says:

As Dr Pieczenik says, Assad, as an Alawiye, is presently protecting 2 million Syrian Christians. Regime change should not be a priority for Trump. However, I believe they targeted the chemical weapons manufacturing. However, most likely perpetrator of chrmical gas attack was Al Nusra, not Assad

7. winky says:

I am not happy about this Syria thing without an investigation. It is like someone kicked me in the stomach and I deflated after being on a pretty happy high. PTrump has got to know this is BS.

• Wayne Robinson says:

Who gives a shit ? It was not supposed to be there , used , or stored . John Kerry gave assurance it was gathered and destroyed / this is President Zeros fault he should have acted as his first red line was crossed but the shit for brains Muslim has no commitment to truth or sanctity of life/ I do hope our President Trump does not pile on Assad as I believe his own people have access to vote. How can it be that christians and Muslims could live peacefully ? Can anyone name another dominate Muslim country where this is the norm? I didn’t think so. I know Trump knows stuff I don’t . He may not be perfect but he is my President and I believe he will get things done that should be done and I will pray for him and support him 100% simple deal .

• Bl says:

Agree. Just like the Russia interference story. Nobody gave any evidence but Russia is still under sanctions, it seems.

• SEJMON says:

I believe he PDJT know what really happened….4 hrs talk to Mr. LAVROV & VVP is eunogh to make up mind -I believe Syrians bomb jihadist chem.storage and do not knowing about this location…..

8. platypus says:

I sure hope this is a scheme by President Trump to get the BlackHats in the spook agencies to relax and believe that they’ve won.

If DJT tried to be stupid, he’d never be dumb enough to trust the people that spied on his family. Don’t forget the tweet about spying that ended with ‘sick!’. If I had to guess, DJT thinks it’s sick to be a peeping tom.

9. Maxine's Hairpiece says:

Why is Assad beyond reproach for some here? The guy is an opportunist and a POS with American blood on his hands from the Iraqi insurgency. He is no better than his opposition. Let’s not act like he’s some righteous defender of Christians. He is an Alawite and the Alawite sect is an offshoot of Shia Islam. He has had strong ties to Iran and Hezbollah for years.

• SEJMON says:

you are wrong …….check SANA OR SYRPER and than make up your mind.

• Jenny R says:

Sana? The Syrian New Agency? And Syrper? Which is also connected to Assad loyalists? I’ll grant you they may be correct about some things, but perhaps one should question whether or not they might be a tad biased?

10. youme says:

Sanctions are an absolute joke. An even better joke is having the banks enforce the sanctions.

“The sanction orders U.S. banks to freeze the assets of any employees named, and bans American companies from conducting business with them.”

List of banks that aided rogue regimes to breach U.S. sanctions:

Recent list of corporations breaching US sanction and export control violations:

You will notice in the above list of sanction violations that NO ONE goes to jail even thought they are putting Americans at severe risk.

11. Donna in Oregon says:

Good to know who done it.

12. I bet Mccaine is one of them!

13. daughnworks247 says:

Whether or not the attack was done by Assad or the rebels, I LOVE the tactic from Trump administration of going after the chemical weapons – period.
    Trump admin is willing to use carrot/stick diplomacy, financing, trade, every tool available to achieve the desired outcome.
    Dear God Obama was a weak President.

14. daughnworks247 says:

Proud of Mnuchin too, he’s willing to step up.

15. You’ve nailed it, daughn! It doesn’t matter who did the CW attack or even whether any real civilians were killed there,(or elsewhere as some have posted. The Tomahawks accomplished several goals at once and killed no one! Goal 1 – get liberals and McC off your back. Goal 2 – destroy CM w/o putting boots on the ground. Goal 3 – amazingly, made most of the world love POTUS.

I don’t get that last one, myself. Maybe it’s a love for Strongmen or Cowboys? Which POTUS is neither, but there you have it. Or just a craving for a little testosterone after all the pajama boy antics of the past few years.