The Last Great Race – Iditarod Day #2

You can follow the updates at the Official Iditarod Website HERE – The Iditarod Trail Facebook Page is HERE

Nicolas Petit first to YukonBy Joe Runyan

In an impressive display of raw power, Nicolas Petit took command at the lead into Tanana.  Insiders viewing the GPS tracker saw Nicolas work his team to the front, edge past  Martin Buser and arrive first at the Yukon with fifteen dogs.

The sun in the horizon turned the sky pastel pink as Petit settled his team for a rest at the Tanana community center.  First he took an extra snowhook (a pronged lightweight anchor with curved hooks)  and tied the six foot line to a loop on the main towline and stretched out the towline.  That kept the team orderly.

Next, he distributed thinly sliced frozen meat to his team, fast walked to retrieve water which he distributed to the team in plastic breadpan size dishes, reached for another bag of fatty snacks.  While the dogs ate that ration, Nicolas unbundled a bale of hay and started laying out a flake for each dog, careful to put it just in front of each dog.  Satisfied, he released the tug lines, and just as he had planned each dog was now able to curl up on the straw without sending it in ten directions.  Nicolas, well orchestrated!   The main chores now complete and the dogs resting comfortably, Nicolas could take off booties from his huskies.  At this moment, his is the fastest team on the trail.

Buser and team followed thirty-six minutes later, to be followed by a compact pack led by Aliy Zirkle—-who we haven’t seen for a while making a move to the front.

Very little separation at the front.  Anybody’s guess.  All the contenders are here in Tanana.  (read more)

Latest Updates HERE

This entry was posted in Heros, Treehouse Campfire. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to The Last Great Race – Iditarod Day #2

1. dogsmaw says:

I would love to visit alaska specially if someone would make me a nice bed of straw and feed me 😛

2. Where is Team Asia??? Where is Team Africa??? This is totally unacceptable! /s

3. jeans2nd says:

The Facebook page, pics (and comments!) are great, thanks. Looks like that big First to Yukon dinner slowed Petit down ;-).

4. benifranlkin says:

I counted 14 women among the mushers this year. Good. They seldom win (Libby Riddle 1984 and Susan Butcher 1986) but it’s good to see them out there slugging.

5. az. redtail hawk says:

I think that this is the best reporting from the Iditarod. I have followed the race since I was a boy reading Jack London books. Thank you guys.

6. Sunshine says:

The fatty snacks are probably raw trachea cut into 3” to 6” pieces.
    Slaughter houses have no use for tracheas. Instead of throwing them away, they box them up, quick freeze them to kill off bacteria, and sell them cheap by the box.
    I know because I use to buy them by the box for my dog who just loved them. Of course, the dog eats it outside in the snow, very fatty cartilage.

7. quintrillion says:

This is a fun read from the blog on the start of day 2

8. LadyRavenSDC says:

Well, from comments thus far it seems there is not of a lot of interest here at treehouse on Iditarod – but folks, I’ve been watching it on and off for years. There are crazy times, sad times, exciting/depressing times. It’s one of those things that comes once a year and for a few days can give you something besides GOV to think about and enjoy.
    Thanks for posting Sundance!

• The Tundra PA says:

Iditarod is truly awesome, as is the sport of dog mushing, which is our state sport here in Alaska. The beauty and power of a well-trained team of dogs is simply amazing. Driving them through stark and utter wilderness is breath-taking.

So glad you enjoy the race, Lady Raven! It catches the imagination of people all over the world. There are few places left with this much wilderness.

• MIKE says:

I’m reading it, very cool stuff. So many angles one needs to master to just complete the race. I am a dog lover with a bit of a competitive streak in me as well. Your knowledge and insight has not gone unnoticed here, BTW. I’d be ‘liking’ yours and other posts too if I could. Dogs rule with cats a close second.

• The Tundra PA says:

Thanks Mike! My two passions are politics and dog mushing. I love Iditarod. I never ran the race myself, but I know quite of the mushers who have and do. If only I’d come to Alaska 20 years earlier…

• hellinahandbasket says:

@TheTundraPA: Yes, that too seems to be my credo, as I look at 60yrs-square in the eye… while it looks-back at me, laughing …always laughing:
            “If only I’d (__blank__) 20-years ago!” …*sigh*

9. Gov Jay says:

This should read… “In an impressive display of PAW power…”

10. toriangirl says:

Watching the dogs running on the sled team is a sight to behold. Nothing more joyous than a pup doing what he/she loves to do.

11. The Tundra PA says:

Here is my comment from next door at Stella’s Place (aka Treehouse Annex):

Morning all! Here is your IDITAROD update. It’s cold. I mean really, really COLD. Killer cold. Frostbiting cold. Hard to breathe cold. It is -35 degrees and the wind is blowing. Yesterday Jesse Royer, a veteran musher from Montana, frostbit 3 of her fingers and is having a pretty hard time taking care of the injury while doing dog care. It is hard to even move in this kind of cold. It’s called Iron Winter.

The front end of the race consists of about 10 mushers, of which Aliy is one and the only woman. They rotate holding the lead as they follow their pre-planned run and rest schedule. They have left the village of Tanana (TAN-a-naw) and are headed 120 miles downriver through absolute wilderness to the village of Ruby. The trail is all on the Yukon River which is 2-3 miles wide in many places and the wind can be fierce. Aliy is planning to do it in 2 six-hour runs with a long rest in the middle. I’ll be interested to see who takes their mandatory 24-hour rest at Ruby.

Go Aliy!

12. shannynae says:

Thanks for the updates, Sundance.

13. The Tundra PA says:

The Alaska Dispatch is your typical lefty news rag, but occasionally do some good reporting on Iditarod:

14. amwick says:

But, but, if you are flying behind a team of elite canine athletes, 7mp, how do you text? And when you stop for the night, is there room service and a mint on the pillow? These people take competition right into another dimension.. bless and keep every one, including those four legged sled haulers…

15. Ip Siscr says:

C’est exact – les Habitants sont formidables ! Vrai fils de Radisson

16. Political Reviewer says:

It’s a truly amazing race, no question about it. The fierce determination, raw courage, and outstanding bravery of the mushers is a sight to behold. And those remarkable dogs…wow, wow, wow and woof, woof, woof.

And did you know that standard poodles ran the Iditarod? Great story with pictures. http://www.dogster.com/lifestyle/dog-breeds-iditarod-alaska-poodles-history-sled-dogs

“Then came the supreme challenge: the Iditarod. Anchorage to Nome: 1,157 miles through untamed back country. Suter and his partly Poodle teams competed in the Iditarod from 1989 to 1991 — more than most husky mushers can claim. In fact, one year he managed to place ahead of 12 husky teams.”

Video of Suter on Johnny Carson’s show with one of his poodles:

17. Sunshine says:

I just found out that FIVE DOGS have DIED up till now, of which TWO in one day.
    Reasons: exhaustion, pulmonary fluid build-up, and one musher actually abandoned one of its dogs.
    Suddenly, this seems less sexy.