Tuesday February 21st – Open Thread

Tomb of the Unknown ChristmasOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

127 Responses to Tuesday February 21st – Open Thread

1. Rondo says:

INSTAPUNDIT READERS WEIGH IN ON TRUMP’S H.R. MCMASTER PICK FOR NATIONAL SECURITY ADVISOR: Reader T.J. Linzy writes:

I served with HR McMaster in 2/2 ACR in the first gulf war. He was the E Troop commander; I was a F Troop platoon leader. For your readers who may not know him very well, I would like them to know that this long time Instapundit reader thinks this might be President Trump’s best appointment yet.

HR is is highly intelligent, courageous, and one of the best human beings I have ever known. His integrity, wide-ranging knowledge, and willingness to take the fight to the enemy will dove-tail perfectly with GEN Mattis, IMHO.

Our old, famed unit, the 2d Cavalry (known as the Ghosts of Patton’s Army in WWII), has produced several USA leaders recently, including Mike Powell (Colin Powell’s son and ex-FCC chairman), Doug Lute, US Rep to NATO, and Mike Pompeo, current CIA Director. All were Lieutenants, Captains or Majors in 2CAV in the late 80s and early 90s.

Plus, from another reader:

With President Trump selecting LTG HR McMaster to be the next National Security Advisor, we will no doubt be hearing a lot about the Battle of 73 Easting in the Gulf War. Captain McMaster was in the middle of what may be “the last great tank battle” when his Troop and one other destroyed a brigade of Iraqi tanks. History channel featured it in their series “Greatest Tank Battles” and it is a must watch; I imagine they will replay it soon because of this appointment.

I wanted to add a couple thoughts as I served under him and while I didn’t interact much with him personally, it was clear that McMaster may be the smartest man I have ever met – I went to an “elite” northeast academy and an Ivy – and nobody I know can hold a candle to his ability to learn every side and nuance of almost every conflict around the globe. While at Fort Benning, I was selected by my commander to head up the International Military Student Office where roughly 1000 foreign officers and non-commissioned officers from nearly 100 allied nations attend US Army courses. McMaster was the commanding general at the time of the Maneuver Center of Excellence (combined Infantry and Armor schools) and since it was a somewhat sensitive posting, I had to meet him personally. He was very knowledgeable of what my job would entail and made sure I understood, but he also knew about my entire career up to that point; this is impressive as he had hundreds of captains under him, but not exactly rare as it is a common characteristic of leaders effective enough to make flag rank.

What impressed me the most about him was his interaction with the international students. One of the courses that the international students attended was the captains’ career course and I had 7 cycles of 25-30 students in each ranging in rank from Lieutenant to Lieutenant Colonel. At the end of each class, MG McMaster would have a lunch with them where he would open the floor to any and all questions. These students came from every part of the world, and McMaster was able to answer nearly every question with stunning detail and understanding of the entire geopolitical ramifications behind each situation. In fact, only once did I every hear him say “I am not entirely familiar with that situation…” if I remember correctly, it revolved around a (relatively) new narcotics conflict in Suriname, but he then still answered the question by being able to draw upon knowledge he had in narcotics trafficking conflicts in other parts of South America, and the overall political climate in Suriname. The most challenging questions came from the Pakistanis of the class and while they sometimes became heated, he would approach the student after and speak personally to ensure that while they may not like what he said, they understood that he felt he had to answer them honestly – there was never hard feelings and always mutual respect from both him and the student. Every single student I spoke to afterward was blown away by how McMaster addressed their question and appreciated how much he understood about the problems in their home countries.

These Q&A sessions were scheduled for an hour and almost always went much longer as he was willing and eager to interact with those students whom he told would be “the future leaders of our allies” Imagine being a Lieutenant from a small nation being given this kid of respect and deference by a 2-star general of the US Army! These lunches were not mandatory but he did them anyway because the foreign students sent to study in the US are those officers whose nations predict will be their future senior leaders, quite possibly even some heads of state; McMaster understood to his core that the impressions he made then would affect US foreign relations 10, 20, 30 years into the future.

McMaster is a speed reader and I believe he also has a photographic memory. He was able to have an expansive grasp of the political ramifications on almost every live conflict in the world and it wasn’t even his job at the time to know them – his job was to train Infantry and Armor officers, but he knew that adding this aspect to his own education and the educations of those studying under him would make them better. This man is a perfect fit for the job of NSA and hopefully he will not meet the same resistance that so many current appointees encounter.

TJ Buttrick, CPT, US Army (retired)

And I don’t want to share details without permission, but a former student of mine who served with McMaster was saying similar things on Facebook.

• Marygrace Powers says:

McMaster definitely has outstanding qualifications
      and qualities that will enhance the Trump Adminsitration/
      Let’s pray for all those that have served our country
      courageously and continue to serve with Trump/

• CPT Buttrick: Thank you for your service and for the really important information you shared. After being on Breitbart tonight, I couldn’t stand reading one more disheartening article. I was sick at heart. Frustrated that I can’t do something to help President Trump. After reading what you wrote, I feel a huge weight lifted. Warm regards, a proud 71 year old Fort Bragg Army Brat, Mary Rothwell.

• mztore says:

Like you, I left the other site. After seeing headlines like “Trump Wigs” and “NBA” stuff along with some of the other stuff, it made me decide to just keep this site and no other as my regular go to place. Already gave up on the news and papers, but can always depend on this place to give me the straight stuff. Thanks CTH

• Jimmy Jack says:

Wow, thanks for sharing. This gives me some degree of comfort in uncertain times.

• justfactsplz says:

Thank you for this post. McMaster is very impressive. I am so glad President Trump chose him for the leader of the NSC. He will be an integral part of MAGA.

• JoAnn Leichliter says:

Thank you, Rondo. My son briefed Gen. McMaster (then a colonel, I believe) sevetal times while they both served in Iraq and he watched his performance there. He has nothing but good to say of this man and was hoping he would be selected.

• Gil says:

I believe mcmaster knows this quote by heart then…

2. FLOTUS Melania #1 Fan says:

Sometimes I have to remind myself….

3. F.D.R. in Hell says:

HT: Moonbattery

That sound you hear in the background is your alarm clock ringing, America.
    It’s time to wake up, or die in your sleep. 👿

4. FLOTUS Melania #1 Fan says:

If
    by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
    Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
    If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
    But make allowance for their doubting too;
    If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
    Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
    Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
    And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
    And treat those two impostors just the same;
    If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
    Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
    And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
    If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,
    And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
    If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
    If all men count with you, but none too much;
    If you can fill the unforgiving minute
    With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
    Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
    And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

5. Garrison Hall says:

6. Ziiggii says:

“EXCLUSIVE: House Dem IT Guys In Security Probe Secretly Took $100K In Iraqi Money”

7. seeingeye2 says:

I thought Megyn Kelly has left Fox News? My TV Guide for Dish Network shows the Kelly File every evening again. Is she back, or is someone else anchoring that show?

8. Lucille says:

Beautiful scene and photo composition of McGee Mountain and Mount Morrison of the Sherwin Range of the Sierra Nevada Mountains, as seen from Benton Crossing in the Long Valley Caldera.

TheDailyNathan is the copyright holder of this work. For copyright use authorization, see: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sherwin_Range,_Benton_Crossing.jpg

9. Plain Jane says:

Not sure if this should post in this thread or in the President Trump thread, so I will post in both. The information seems to fit both. I hope you enjoy the short video as much as I did.

This priest’s website seems to be very traditional Catholic and no nonsense.

10. nimrodman says:

“Don’t tax me and don’t tax thee … tax that robot behind the tree”

**Bill Gates Calls for Robot Tax to Offset Jobs Lost to Automation**

11. Lucille says:

Perhaps the most intriguing road in America: Mile marker 13 on U.S. Route 163 in Utah, looking south towards Monument Valley. Also known in the movie as the exact spot where Forrest Gump finally decides to stop running. http://www.degrootjes.com

• F.D.R. in Hell says:

Nice chemtrails.

• MaryfromMarin says:

Theme association:

• usnveteran says:

F.D.R. in Hell ~
        Yup. That picture is what prompted me to post the ‘Geoengineering’ story link.
        I’m starting to get things setup for gardening this year and have thought about trying to grow food inside, like a greenhouse, to avoid that chemtrail crap.

There were a few times last year when I looked outside and the entire the sky was a golden yellow – not blue at all. I called a few of my neighbors and asked them to look outside and tell me what they were seeing. They said: “Yeah – what the heck is going on … what IS that?” – [Reminded me of an old Star Trek episode on another planet – – not a blue background for a sky, but yellow.]

• Lucille says:

Perhaps out of Nellis?

12. usnveteran says:

February 19, 2017
    USA Watchdog News Site Covers Critical Climate Engineering Issue:

13. Jimmy Jack says:

Lord, please be with all of us. Give us wisdom and help us to save America. Strengthen our leaders that they may do your will. Amen.

• Wavetheshales says:

Great cartoon.

When I was in college, living in the hate(Haight) meant living in Haight-Ashbury area of SF. Now it just means being a DEMON(c)RAT. Or perhaps both…..

14. smiley says:

Papelas de Seda (Silk Papers)

oil/canvas

1994

Claudio Bravo (1936-2011) ~ Chilean, lived in Morocco ~ HyperRealism/Trompe L’oeil

🙂

amazing art, considering he had no formal training.

15. nimrodman says:

Syrian Rebels Exploded Using Phone Bomb to Take Selfie

16. Dora says:

Oscar E. Berninghaus – “The Flute Player” (1917)

17. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’ infidels!

photo 806893f8-0fd6-4442-8eff-60efa4abf828.jpg

18. duchess01 says:

Verse of the Day

“…I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.”
    Psalms 9:1 (KJV)

19. duchess01 says:

Thank You, Jesus, for blessings received and prayers answered!

20. JAS says:

Brenda Buttner, Host of FOX Business Bulls and Bears passed away yesterday after battling cancer. She was 55 and leaves two daughters behind. God bless her.

21. amwick says:

This was mentioned briefly on the morning news, and I looked it up…
    Remember that controversial paining in the Capitol, the one that won a high school art competition?? Well now its going to be a lawsuit. This has got to stop. Here: http://thehill.com/homenews/house/320331-dem-rep-to-file-lawsuit-over-controversial-police-painting
    And just for reference, here were the rules for the contest: http://knight.house.gov/uploadedfiles/2016artcomp_rulesguidelinesdeadlines.pdf

22. Dora says:

I was going to wait until Caturday to post this, but then I said “What the heck”? I might forget about it by that time. 🙂

==

‘Meowtropolis’: In ‘Kedi,’ A City of Cats Reveals Secrets of Urban Development

One of oldest surviving films made by Thomas Edison, dating from 1894, features two cats boxing in a miniature ring. Little could Edison have imagined back then that these 22 seconds of jittery, black-and-white footage would give birth to the entire genre of cat videos. T

23. Wish Spicey would ask every other question with “What are *your* sources for that “?

24. Answer not ask (answer with an ask…) * hmmmmm *

25. I have tried 5 times now to post a link to what appears to be O.B.A.M.A.’s Kenyan BC on the Presidential Politics thread, once even just typing out the url, still it won’t post? Can anyone offer an explanation – is there a limit on the number of comments on the thread? Would appreciate some assistance. Thanks in advance.

• Perhaps because it is from rense.com? Only found it fairly recently – maybe it is a bad site?

• BigMamaTEA says:

Nope. Rense is a good site. They’ve been at this longer than most.

IMO, probably, because years ago, we all (CTH) in the beginning went through all of it. Yes, I too have a copy of that thing from Kenya. Who knows. I personally now think that communist Frank Marshall Davis has as good a chance as being Obie’s pop, even more likely, than the Kenyan student that never claimed him.

• OK – thanks – I won’t bother posting it again then. Can’t figure it out – tried 5 times – oh, well. I still think his daddy is Mohammed Subud – they just look too much alike.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Yeah, I know about that too. But his mama posed nude for FMD, I , as a lot of others have photos of her, and her with a well known stripper of the day, in FMC’s house, that FMD took. At that time, it _REALLY_ would’ve have been scandalous for your teenaged daughter to be knocked-up, unmarried; but with a black man!!!! Obie has had a lot of plastic surgery also. He’s had his nose done, and keeps having those black spots removed. Older FMD pictures show lots of those dark spots. I forget what they are called. I have multiple pictures of Obie from in the beginning through his eight years, where in one pic there are a few spots, next pic (timewise) they are gone.

It’s all speculation, but if his daddy was anyone BUT FMD, he was not eligible. Some will argue having only one parent would qualify; but if that was the case, in the Founder’s mind/time, it would’ve been the FATHER, who extended citizenship.

The TRUTH will come out one day.

• Lord, I certainly hope so – and the sooner the better! We have some time now to square this away with President Trump in office hopefully for 8 years. Otherwise, we will be looking at a President Cruz, which would be a HUGE disaster. IMO, it must be both parents – both SCOTUS cases that address this issue used the plural “parents” and “citizens.”

26. Lucille says:

This was released on February 13, 2017. Perhaps you’ve already seen it. But, rats, I love Sargento’s Longhorn Colby.

Sara Lee, Sargento Cheese Recalls: Listeria Fears

27. BigMamaTEA says:

” Russian Bank Docs Show How Putin Laundered Money to Hillary & Podesta”
    by Dr. Jerome Corsi – http://www.infowars.com/exclusive-russian-bank-docs-show-how-putin-laundered-money-to-hillary-podesta/

28. BigMamaTEA says:

Normally, I would not link to Victor Davis Hanson at the NRO site; but his blog post (same article) has no paragraphs or punctuation, and is hard to generally read. Even VDH is noticing what Sd’s talked about forever.

“Seven Days in February” – Victor Davis Hanson

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445091/never-trumpers-subvert-presidency-talk-coup-impeachment-assassination

29. usnveteran says:

21 February 2017
    Dinesh D’Souza LIVE Lecture At Columbia University
    Beginning now, 8:45pm

30. auscitizenmom says:

lilbirdee12’s prayer:

Grant us patience, Lord, as the evil ones try to anger us and cause us to fall.
    Spread blessings over Israel and Netanyahu.

We humbly ask that You please comfort those who are grieving and in pain.
    Thank you Father, for Your Love and the gift of Life.

In Jesus name, we pray. Amen

31. BigMamaTEA says:

Right now, (it’s 8pm CST,) Dinesh D’Souza is addressing Columbia University, via YAF Foundation. (Young America’s Foundation)

32. MK Wood says:

Good ol’ “we support free speech” twitter.

33. BigMamaTEA says:

I don’t know which gave me the bigger belly-laugh tonight. The video I posted above with the Dad changing the diaper; or this headline….

“Sen. McConnell: How I helped Trump win the White House”