trump-tech-execs-3(Via USA Today) […]  Trump told the group that his administration is “going to be here for you. You’ll call my people, you’ll call me. We have no formal chain of command around here.”

He suggested, and tech leaders agreed to, meeting quarterly, according to a person briefed on the meeting. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly.

They discussed repatriating foreign profits, reforming taxes and regulations so companies build more jobs in the U.S., building better infrastructure, and improving education, the person briefed on the meeting said.

Government procurement and protecting intellectual-property rights, major topics for several tech companies in attendance, also came up, according to the Trump transition team.

[…] Bezos, however, struck a conciliatory tone. “I shared the view that the administration should make innovation one of its key pillars, which would create a huge number of jobs across the whole country, in all sectors, not just tech — agriculture, infrastructure, manufacturing — everywhere,” he said in a statement.

Wilbur Ross, Trump’s choice for Commerce Secretary attended and said it was “a very good, constructive meeting” in which both sides “got to know each other better.” (read more)

trump-tech-leaderstrump-hat-2

This entry was posted in Big Government, Donald Trump, Donald Trump Transition, Economy, Education, Election 2016, media bias, Patriotism. Bookmark the permalink.

224 Responses to Trump Taking the Lumps Out: “”There’s nobody like you in the world. There’s nobody like the people in this room.”…

1. ZurichMike says:

Why do I feel that Trump is already President? Oh, that’s right. Because he’s done more poltically to mend fences, build bridges, involve others, get advice, and create a leadership team based on merit, not victim class status, than Barack Hussein Obama — the feckless, talentless, failed occupant of the White House — could even imagine.

2. fred5678 says:

To paraphrase a famous non-politician, “All action, not just talk”.

• Walking the Talk was NEVER Barack.

• starfcker says:

Fly on the wall, “where’s jack?” “Jack couldn’t make it. He f###ed with me.” Vindictiveness, or at least the appearance of it, can be a useful tactic, especially if you are holding the high cards. Looks like the deal is going to be pretty simple. Hire american, support american, and go about your business, and we have your back. Or continue on as de facto enemies of the state. Probably an easy choice, framed that way. I like the physical set up, three sets of eyes on the end, watching everything. Has to be intimidating.

3. don welch says:

stay vigil my friends.

4. MMinLamesa says:

If Trump thinks for second that Jeff Bezos walked out of that meeting with new found good intentions, he’s delusional. Most of those names that I recognized overtly conspired to paint Trump as a nightmare.

• Paul Henry says:

What about the horribly unfair and un-American H-1B visa program? Are the tech companies willing to give that up? In a sense, the tech companies need to become American First also in order to MAGA.

• Somebody says:

I agree Paul Henry. I want to know about H-1B discussion. Some of the chatter at the meeting yesterday was apparently about education, I’m curious about that. The tech giants repeat over and over the lie that we don’t have enough STEM graduates. We actually have millions of STEM graduates that aren’t working in that field. The reasons are varied, can’t find a job or can make more money doing something else and I’m sure it’s a personal choice for some.

The bottom line though is that we have enough STEM graduates, at least right now. A lot of the younger generation sought and received STEM degrees. While I take issue with many of the policies at our colleges and universities, clearly they’re competent enough to turn out decent graduates because most of the world is clamouring to get into our universities……if they were that bad then that wouldn’t be the case.

If the discussion on education was about vocational education in high schools then yes we are sorely lacking there. Perhaps that was at least part of the “New Collar” job discussion.

We need to severely curtail, if not eliminate the H-1B and other similar visa programs until we reach full employment. Those programs not only take jobs from Americans they also lower wages across the tech sector………oh to have been a fly on the wall. We all have to remember though that our new AG Sessions knows those laws and I presume he’ll go after companies that violate the existing laws, which in and of itself should curtail a lot of the H-1B abuse.

• Can you cite your sources on the claim we have enough STEM graduates? That’s a broad statement since STEM covers lots of ground in many different technical areas.

• Somebody says:

Google is your friend Dennis there have been many studies to debunk the tech and COC about the lack of STEM graduates. Off the top of my head I’d say check some of Michelle Malkin’s work, she as well as others have been on this soap box a long time. There is plenty of data out there to refute the narrative that we don’t have enough.

The tech industry and COC had legitimate concerns nearly 30 years ago, which is how we got the visa programs. There may well be shortages still in very specific fields, but we sure as heck don’t need the number of visas demanded.

If there was a shortage of people to do IT work at Disney or a long list of other companies then how come they had to fire all the employees and make them train their replacement? The CO’S of companies that do that kind of stuff need to be made an example our of. There was no shortage they just wanted to cut costs.

• BibleBullet says:

I would also like to add for your education, that the interview process at most software companies are deliberately designed to allow the companies complain that they need to hire H1B visa workers because they “couldn’t find anybody who qualified.” Tell me, what other fields do you know design Jeopardy-style questions and put their interviewees through an episode of Survivor just to get a job? They set the bar ridiculously high, asking questions that really have nothing to do with the day-to-day job. It’s designed to turn Americans away. Some survive the ordeal and are hired, but far too many perfectly good workers are ruled out.

One of my coworker’s friends interviewed last year at a company, and was asked to write code on the whiteboard that found the intersection points of two triangles. (Obviously, this question had little to do with what this individual would actually be doing at the company were he to be hired.) Amazingly, he solved the problem perfectly. The interviewer disqualified him anyway. Why? Because it wasn’t the way he personally would have solved it.

I myself did a phone interview with Amazon a few years ago. I was interviewed ironically by an H1B visa worker. I could tell because he had a very thick Indian accent. He didn’t even bother to read my resume before he began to grill me with a barrage of questions. I could barely understand what he said, and had to ask him (nicely) to please repeat himself many times. That frustrated him, and he got angry that I couldn’t understand him. He also asked me a very weird and misleading question about a data structure/algorithm. I think in retrospective he was asking about bloom filters, but the way he said it totally didn’t fit a bloom filter. But supposedly this guy is a genius, because Amazon hired him, even though he didn’t know what a bloom filter could actually do and not do.

After such an awful experience interviewing with Amazon, even if Jeff Bozo himself were to offer me a bazillion dollars to come work for him, I’d tell him no. I wouldn’t want to work for a company that has so little respect for potential employees.

And this is why myself and so many of my colleagues are more than happy to stay in aerospace/defense, where we are treated far better.

• Celebrating! says:

@Somebody — My near-retirement husband has worked in the STEM field for decades and has often said to me that our colleges are turning out STEM graduates who are woefully incompetent and poorly educated. Just because someone has a STEM degree does not mean they are able to do the work. Some with drive to succeed will continue to study and learn; unfortunately, many others will never be qualified to do the work that is needed. Just my two cents.

• solomonpal says:

It could be these graduates are spending inordinate amounts of time in cry spaces.

• Tom says:

If that’s so, then why do companies not work with colleges to up their curriculum and training programs/degrees ? When I graduated with a CS degree in 1979 companies would hire you based on your grades, work ethic, ability to learn/accept new challenges, and logical ability. Every tech company had training programs for those specific technologies not taught in the classroom; where are those training programs today ? There are none, because of the H1B visa program.

I spent 3 months in a trainee program, as did all of my peers, at IBM before being let loose as a full-fledged programmer/software engineer. This is what companies need to bring back. Pay the graduate less, put them in a short term training program, if they make it thru with satisfactory results then hire them at full pay. If they wash out, them they are let go. It’s so simple I laugh when I see companies say there isn’t enough American talent – they are simply lying thru their teeth. They wouldn’t know because their first response is to outsource or bring in an H1B servant.

• platypus says:

You ask we the tech companies don’t work with colleges to up their standards. Maybe they just don’t WANT them better. They LIKE being “forced” to hire H1Bs that the employees to be replaced must train before they can be hired.

• waynestrick says:

It is ALL about diversity, too much White Power.

• Sam says:

That was my experience too, Tom. But today, companies want people who have the exact skill they need and for a limited time like 6 – 12 months. So a foreign trained H1B fits the need. Companies also don’t want to pay benefits like health insurance, vacation, retirement contribution and so on. Recruiting companies that hire the temporary workers pay that, or not.

The focus is relentlessly on next quarter’s earnings to get those management bonuses and keep top management and shareholders happy. It no longer matters what’s good for employees or Main Street. Keeping Wall Street happy is what it’s all about.

Trump has his work cut out for him changing that mindset.

Schools must also change, since the social justice warriors have taken them over and hate core subjects like math, physics, chemistry, technology, history, civics, English literature and composition. Betsy deVos has a tough job ahead of her.

• CDuran says:

My daughter’s boyfriend is a smart kid – graduated with an electrical engineering degree. He got a great job on Long Island, car, benefits and pension. These opportunities are there. The qualified American graduates are there. They just have to connect better.

• Somebody says:

Well drive and work ethic are an issue in any field Celebrating.

I agree we do seem to have quite a few snowflakes, but most of the H-1B’s lack problem solving and critical thinking skills according to MANY I know in the IT world. I’ve heard the same thing over and over about H-1B’s from my two adult children both in the field, as well as other people I know including some in fairly high positions with big name tech companies. I’ve also heard time and time again many of the visa holders have questionable degrees from overseas diploma mills.

• MICHAEL DO says:

If I were Trump, I would tell all the tech company execs that ok, since H1B visa is about talent and not cheap labor cost. US will issue as many H1B visa as needed but the cost of the visa is $100K each and must be renewed annually. The sponsor company will be continuously responsible for this cost until the H1B beneficiary leaves the country and visa terminated. If truthfully that companies can not find American talents and not save cost then they would not have any problem to pay these visa fee.

• Tom says:

Ha, I like that proposal !

• M.A. says:

The 100K price will go to support an American tech worker until that worker is hired and then it goes to another and another.

• paper doll says:

This idea reminds me of the purposed tax on carrier’s soon to be Mexican air conditioners…that pesto , changeo , turned them back in the ones made in the US…great !

• Great idea. That money would be plenty to train their own employees from scratch the way they want them, without the college indocrination, like their own trade schools.
            Back in the 90s I was in employee benefit enrollments and in the Silicon Valley. They wanted their employees to have every benefit imaginable so they wouldn’t defect. Dentists in the parking lot, like that.
            However they also had increasing numbers of H1B visa folks. They were able to pay those people half the amount they had to pay the American workers and the American workers were not happy about it. Of course. It sounds to me that the situation has grown a lot worse in 20 years.

• Steven says:

Yeah, all 60+ of these visa categories need to be looked at and simplified!

• notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital says:

I’ll tell you what is wrong with the Tech Companies.

They’re too CHEAP to pay competitive salaries for good STEM graduates.

It is the same way in the International CPA firms. Even SEC employees have told them to their face that they’re not paying competitive salaries, so the best and brightest students won’t even consider an accounting career with their firms.

BECAUSE THEY’RE TOO CHEAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JB from SoCal says:

I can see making a rare one-in-a-million exception for STEM PhD’s from USA’s best, Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, CalTech, etc. only.

OK OK, SD. . . Michigan/Ann Arbor too [sigh]

• rashamon says:

I’ll believe Silicon Valley will comply to the people’s direction when…hell freezes over. They are the epitome of Obama’s “so much smarter than anyone else on earth.”

Short leash. Very short leash. Stop buying from them whenever possible. It’s Zuckerberg’s “no wall to control illegal immigration” as he is building walls around every single one of his properties. Duh.

• Martin says:

What makes you think Trump thinks that?

• Okeydoker says:

It will be interesting to see if Bezos paper, the Wash Post, relents in its campaign to malign Pres Trump eight times a day. THAT will tell us how successful the meeting really was.

• Unlikely, okeydoker. Publishers rarely interfere with the editorial portion of their newspaper. All they care about is the bottom line. And over at the editorial side? Yep – all liberals and leftward even of that. So, don’t look for any changes any time soon.
        Bezos was more interested in the business model of the WaPo – paywall, subscriptions, advertising, etc. could all become more tech-oriented and efficient, he thinks.

• Trump vs Tech Titans:
      Guess who’s holding All Aces?

• paper doll says:

I read on YouTube what got them to Trump Tower in part was Mr. Trump’s meeting last week with Japanese banker and computer whiz Masayoshi Son….and I quote .

Masayoshi Son who is a genius… could put those guys out of business. How? By presenting a NON GOVT HACKED AND MONITORED INTERNET MEDIUM TO THE PUBLIC WHO WOULD ALL ABANDON VERIZON GOOGLE YAHOO FACEBOOK TWITTER ETC IF THEY WERE OFFERED A SERVICE THAT REFUSED TO AGREE TO PARTNERING WITH THE GOVT IN SPYING ON THEM 24/7 that’s how – and Son could do it

Didn’t Yahoo just announced 1 billion users just got hacked? ( ” Hacked” i. e. Yahoo just sold their info )

How interesting

• Trump is not a delusional man.

He is, however, a great builder. Great builders know which tools to use and when. SKILL. It is their business to know. Builders don’t fall in love with their tools, they just know how and when they are utilized.

No IFs, ANDs, or BUTs about it!

5. KitKat says:

In the picture of him, Bezos looks scared.

6. Dommy says:

I’ll bet that divisive verbal cudgels like ‘racism’, ‘color,’ ‘white folks,’ ‘class warfare,’ ‘my people’ and a dozen other counterproductive Oblatherisms were not heard once in that room.

But lots and lots of mention of “AMERICA”.

7. KitKat says:

I bet that most of the things they heard Trump say were totally new to them. All they had to do was listen to some of his speeches, and they would not have been surprised.

Jim Brown told Anderson Cooper that Trump was like two persons, which isn’t correct. As his supporters know, PE Trump is remarkably consistent, and the ‘other person’ that Brown thought Trump was, was a fictitious and malicious fabrication of the dishonest media.

8. mdt123 says:

Imagine the sheer volume of personal ego and wealth (~$500B easily) assembled in that room and Trump just gave them straight talk like children..

• KitKat says:

Daddy.

• Bull Durham says:

3 Trillion in total net worth.
      Evil personified. They aggregated that wealth, often embedded with the tyranny in DC, protected by the worst agencies, and infected with the worst godless ideology on earth.
      These people are who Steve Jobs never associated with.
      When he cultivated technology “friends” they were never these guys. He mentored Google when they were in college, put Schmidt on the Board of Directors and they stole the idea of smart phone and took the android system into competition with Apple through Samsung.

Bezos built Amazon on never profitable, never paying taxes, never reporting to his partners in every industry their true accounts. Any book author knows they can’t get an audited account of book sales. He was handed federal court decisions that assure total monopoly.

That image up thread of Bezos, Page and Sandberg is like a horror movie still.
      They are looking across the table at their guru Eric Schmidt.
      This is the heartbeat of the Cult.

• parteagirl says:

Bull, are you on twitter? I’d like to ask you a question, please.

• Your allegiance to Steve Jobs is most likely posthumous reflection Bull. He was the original techno thief. If alive today he probably would have declined Trump’s invitation thinking himself way too important. Apple’s vertically integrated, socialist, business model is a leftist’s dream, dictating designs and dongles ad nauseum. The people don’t need replaceable batteries, an SDHC slot, a headphone jack. We will tell these lemmings what they need.
          “Picasso had a saying — ‘good artists copy; great artists steal’ — and we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.” -Steve Jobs, 1996

I’ll take Windows, Android, HP, Samsung, LG, HTC, Motorola et al any day and every day. The H1B visas are the only issue I have with these guys, otherwise the courts and the free market sort out the rest.

• hificomp says:

It seems like all the invites there were on the Government Dole one way or another during Obamas term. I hate too see some of the government contracts given to this group. IE Google $35M for Cloud at the Interior Department just one example. Apple also had the Federal Courts go way over in their favor in many cases against Microsoft (wireless) and other small component parts designs in the past.
        Why was Bill Gates given a private meeting and not with this group? Not Active?
        Trump mentioned in the past about Amazon- that they do not charge a local sales tax making it non-competitive to a local box store that has to charge a sales tax. That he would look at bringing forward a National Sales Tax to make the local small business more competitive.
        Cult the perfect word I could not think of, Thank You.

• No national sales tax, please!!! This is nothing more than the more deceptively-named consumption tax or value-added tax. All bad, b/c invisible. At least you SEE how much your are paying in income taxes, even if they are withheld. In any event, they all turn every business into a tax collection agency. So not good in so many ways. State and local sales tax is bad enough.

• hificomp says:

But its ok for online sellers not charge sales tax? Does not make it fair for local small business to have to collect and pay. I’m not talking another tax, just that the local sales tax is paid when you bye online. I bought my son a local computer business 20 years ago gamer now bye from Newegg no sales tax, he has to charge sales tax unless he ship out state. If amazon had to charge a sales tax there business would decline.

• waynestrick says:

Success determined by access to the IRS.

• rsanchez1990 says:

In terms of market cap for the companies they represent, I read one estimate that there was over $3 trillion in value represented in that room.

9. wheatietoo says:

I love that picture of Bezos, Page and Sandberg.
    The looks on their faces is priceless! Haaa.

It seems to me that Pres Trump has made it ‘cool’ to put America First now…and ‘cool’ to create jobs now in America.
    It’s what the ‘cool crowd’ will be doing.

These guys are now realizing that they will have to show that they are putting America First…or they won’t be in the cool crowd.

• The Boss says:

Hopefully “social justice” will lose its cool status next month…or earlier. Just like Obama.

• KitKat says:

I suspect that a lot of them are not hardcore doctrinaire commyists but are more the useful idiot type, who believe their beliefs are just ‘nice’ or ‘humanitarian’ — not really understanding what they believe except on a superficial level.

• 2zymos says:

At some point, most of the time in human affairs, your “words of avoidance” here –“…suspect that a lot of them are not hardcore doctrinaire commyists but are more the useful idiot type…” — end up costing lives, many many lives!

Most graphic example:
        USA 1938-1939: “not all Germans are bad, I suspect a lot of them are not hardcore doctrinaire NAZIs but are more the useful idiot type…”. This thinking progressed to the point where “you can’t effectively tell the difference between “hardcore” v “useful idiot” and we then went to war against a common enemy at the cost of millions of lives — having to fight and bomb an KILL lots of “useful idiots”.
        We dithered when it would have been much less costly to hammer the “bad men”. Say 1934-1938 when a boy scout troop could have imposed their will on hitler and company with a “little” moral support from the useful idiots (physical support not even needed at that point).

Additional example:
        USA 1855-1864: “not all northerners are bad, I suspect a lot of them are not hardcore doctrinaire federalists, hardcore doctrinaire anti-rights but are more the useful idiot types.” They wanted to have southern food and raw materials at “their” price and not compete for southern raw materials with european powers: can’t stand when the states have control.
        (I know slavery is a confounding issue but it is peripheral to the coming fight just like racist, misygonist, homophobe, islamophobe, etc are peripheral to the survival and living issues of poverty-food-tyranny-liberty–economics-success-failure that always take primacy).
        Both sides continued to operate thinking that “we are all Americans” we’ll work this out.
        Gaslighting northern press made it into: “they love slavery” & “morally, there is something wrong there”–not addressing the economic predatory force being applied.
        The issue that might have been settled by “less catastrophic” means festered and fermented while each side couldn’t understand why the “other” wasn’t coming to their “useful idiot” senses.
        The “house divided against itself” decided to let COMBAT be the way we were going to settle the main question: do the states have sovereignty/responsibility to settle their own determination of ECONOMY and LAW and MORAL and RIGHTS or does the federal government have the superior sovereignty and can impose its ECONOMY and LAW and MORAL and RIGHTS.

Additional warning:
        We seem to be repeating history with Islam — the hardcore doctrinaire being separated(?), they can’t all be “bad” (?) (true but not meaningful to the coming clash or a reason to halt opposition), a lot of useful idiots in “them” (and what makes them merely useful idiots v making them your threatening enemy):
        What’s the sign of “radical” v “normal” islam?
        What part of islam is compatible with American or western values?
        How are western values different (or even Christian or Judiac values, or Natural law…) from islam?
        How do you “excise” islam from Stockholm, Paris, London, and not harm “supposedly innocent” Swedes, French, and Brits?

Main Warning:
        – 1 You have a domestic enemy currently in the POTUS.
        – 2 It is socialist and it is Islamic and it is tyranny.
        – 3 It is clearly outside the LAW, as in UN-constitutional
        – They ran hilduhbeast who fully supports anything that serves her per$onal intere$t$ and it completely aligns with 1,2,3 above
        – Your enemy currently in the WH is neither legally legitimate nor morally legitimate (no broad based consent)
        – Lines that were “supposed to be Repube v Demoncrap and a fight that was supposed to be political and legal have been avoided and now evolved into extra-political, extra legal!
        — Its now lines drawn on American Sovereignty v World Governance Tyranny (like brexit)
        — Trump’s and the peoples electoral victory is American winning over both repubes and demoncraps, winning freedom over tyrants, winning economic liberty or capitalism over economic tyranny of socialism
        – The fight is already physical (riots, shootings of cops, assaults, threats to electors) and reaching new and intolerable levels in the political and legal (recounts, court rulings, messing with electoral college, comey perfidy, huma/weiner computer cover-up, Trump appointments, obamacare collapse, inauguration threats, gun sales through the roof)
        – “THEY” are not going to stop fighting and “WE” face a choice:
        — Stop them
        — Surrender

It will not remain non-violent through the conclusion of this fight, Trump in POTUS delays it, organizes it, but does not avoid it… if they take Trump out tomorrow, the physical fight starts tomorrow

Enough for now

• Excellent point. I think that this “cool crowd” thing is huge for success w/ the young whippersnappers. Maybe they’ll grow up a bit a burn their Che T-shirts. However, we will need some special ribbon.

10. People speculating why the Trump children were at the meeting.

My wild guess is that PE Trump has trained the three of them from early days to study body language. Four sets of eyes trained on all the attendees of the meeting should give a fair assessment of where all these major players in technology stand, with regard to Trump’s policies.

11. India Maria says:

We elected a Business Man, thank goodness. We did so because we wanted a “different” approach. Yet we continue to judge Trump’s actions, meetings, and even the Business Leaders who meet with him — through the same political prism that we evaluate the “all talk, no actions” Globalist politicians. Sure, some of this Tech Titans are committed Leftists in their social lives. But publicly owned companies need to address the Shareholder and employees. Many of them have accommodated the Democrats because they make the rules and have been in charge for so long, and the GOPe has been so feckless. I think this group will go where the dollars are, and be attracted to opportunity. This is a very exciting display of Leadership by our President-elect, and I see only good coming from it.

12. Ds says:

Mark Zuckerberg or’s townhouse is in the Noe Valley area near Dolores Park in San Francisco
    My sister lives a few blocks away and on the way to her friends house passes the three SUVs with 1 to 2 security guards in each car idling in the street or parked 24 hours a day 365 days a year Whether Mr. Zuckerberg or his family are in the house or not And most of the time they are not there Due to regulations Zuckerberg is not able to build a wall around this property and so has paid for a wall of security guards and 24 hour protection The wealthy neighbors are ticked off that they lost three parking spots even though they get free 24 hour security As parking is super tight in that neighborhood as in most of San Francisco They are All Hillary voters My sister is terrified that Trump will make permanent changes to the environment that are not reversible She knows I voted for trump I guess this is something like the opposite of what Obamas command of the oceans not to rise anymore I guess she thinks that Donald trumps actions will cause the oceans to rise and flood the world Cause the air pollution to attack her and dissolve her precious today I am dictating this and writing this on an iPhone and it refuses to capitalize trumps name but does Obama’s name Even when you say Donald Trump
    Predictive typing which suggests the most common word also refuses to have a capital T in trump
    Donald trump When you speak Barack Obama It successfully types it When you type Donald trump. It won’t capitalize his last name Can you say fuck Apple computer company Yes I guess you can say that and it even capitalizes Apple How about if you say I’m going to eat an apple Wow the dictation is context sensitive

Dictation here not bad at all correct

I am going to eat an apple at Apple computer company and watch Barack Obama debate Donald Trump

• Malatrope says:

You are aware that “trump” is an ordinary word in common usage, right? jAnd that “obama” is not? Don’t blame the algorithms for this. It does us no good to see enemies under every pop tart wrapper.

Test this theory by typing “it is my earnest wish that…” and see if it capitalizes “Earnest” as in “Josh”. Or try other names like “Strong”, “Nice”, “Storm”, or thousands of other common names that happen to be regular words.

• Malatrope says:

Sundance, it is my earnest wish that you will see the light and get a real commenting system! You’d have a lot bigger community of heavy thinkers here if you did. It isn’t worth the pain of a) no editing function, and b) no way to tell if anyone has personally replied to you (there is only the generic and clumsy e-mail notifications of any new comments).

• petszmom says:

malatrope, re: ‘no way to tell if anyone has personally replied to you’…on wordpress you get a template upon which the comment section is embedded, this is where i am now, there is a little bell on the upper right hand corner, click on that and you shall see all replies and likes to your comment. if you can’t see it then you might want to check your settings. this IS a real commenting section with many, many heavy thinkers you won’t find anywhere else, we do the best we can around here and if you would like to contribute to the treehouse kitty there is a button for that as well.

• Sue in MT says:

Too many heavy thinkers here already, need more comedians…lol. How about an edit button donation fund? Everyone donate a dollar for every typo they have made. Edit buttons aren’t free you know!

13. Stinky-Inky says:

Send them off with visions of overseas sugarplums dancing in their heads. Once they start counting those sugarplums, Trump wins them over to his agenda. Easy peasy.

14. NoeliCannoli says:

These modern tech “titans” are in many ways what we used to call “idiot savants.” They have a narrow area of intense focus and achievment, perhaps representing genius in that area, but are morons when it comes to the broad life experience. Zuckerburg is the poster boy: developed social media Facebook into an international phenomenon, but his “beliefs” encompassing open borders and immigration are ridiculous. Another is Google’s Sergei Brin who was immortalized in the Podesta emails begging to be educated about politics. Not a Renaissance Man or Woman among them. Daddy will help.

• rsanchez1990 says:

I think of all the people in that room, Google’s Larry Page best exemplifies what you’re talking about. Page is a genius in terms of technology, but Eric Schmidt was the puppet master who played politics and worked with the Clinton Campaign to use technology to help Hillary.

• Texian says:

They are the type of males you see sitting on the side of the road with a flat tire, waiting for someone to save them.

• The dumbest of all of them has to be Bill “One Trick Pony” Gates.
      Gates actually said one time is that the reason the people in Africa are so poor is because they don’t have any ATM machines. Can’t make up stuff like that.

• Malatrope says:

No, but you can make up a way to take it wrong. That was an obvious joke he made, not a stupid miscomprehension.

• Uh…. why is that an obvious joke? Or an innocent joke?
          You can’t joke to liberals. Everything wacky looks real to them.

Keep in mind that that at the root of the banking crash of 2008 was the lib’s belief that the only reason blacks didn’t own more homes was because banks were hesitant to give them mortgages. So. the liberal solution was to force banks to lend money to blacks. That was hilarious.

If Bill Gates could, he would probably force Bank of American to open 5,000 ATMs in Africa. Would that be a fun joke?

15. MfM says:

When everyone is moving jobs overseas and using H1B Visas all to keep costs low you’d be a fool not to.

These techies aren’t stupid. They see the writing on the wall that things are changing and they have to change or lose money. Their stockholders aren’t going to put up with loosing money.

Instead of having them kicking and screaming all the way, Trump is taking the lumps out. He’s working on making them part of the change. It will go more quickly and smoother because he knows how to build relationships.

From the information we have of the meeting it was a two way street. “They discussed repatriating foreign profits, reforming taxes and regulations so companies build more jobs in the U.S., building better infrastructure, and improving education.”

• Trump takes the lumps out (amazingly quick transition to an “everyone gets it” expression) by helping them envision ways to make money in a MAGA environment that ends the fleecing of Americans’ education, jobs and future opportunity.

Something most could never figure out for themselves.

16. jackmcg says:

Don’t miss the easter egg: The bottled water in front of those tech bigwigs is TRUMP ICE.

Power move.

17. rsanchez1990 says:

That photo! Jeff Bezos looks very uncomfortable, Larry Page looks very confused, and Sheryl Sandberg looks like she just sat in it, ha!

18. You know it wasn’t a Hillary meeting because nobody had to bring their checkbook.

19. fleporeblog says:

Working in the NYC DOE, the city creates their first P-TECH school in 2012. Here is a statement about the core mission of the school:

Now serving four classes of students, P-TECH continues to chart new territory in the reform of secondary and post-secondary education in the United States. As the first school in the nation that connects high school, college, and the world of work through college and industry partnerships, we are pioneering a new vision for college and career readiness and success. With a unique 9-14 model, the goal for our diverse, unscreened student population is 100% completion of an associate degree within six years.

More schools like this need to be created throughout the US in order for our future generations to be prepared to take on these jobs in the very near future.

• Tom says:

Actually this is pathetic. In Europe, kids graduating from the academic track high schools have an associate degree by the time they’re 18. This puts us 2 years behind everyone in Europe.

You know, education is NOT something that needs to be reinvented with new curriculum all the time. If, in K-12 education we simply went back 40-50 years and used the curriculum from the 50s, say, our students would be so much more educated by age 18 than they are today. And think of the cost savings !

Do you realize that a few of the engineers at NASA in the 1960s who helped put men on the moon were only high school graduates ? Yep. Now think about that and realize how pathetic our schools actually are.

20. Pam says:

It just seemed like sweet justice to see Bezos of all people having to get used to the idea of president Trump after all the things he did colluding with the corrupt MSM to try and take Trump down which didn’t work btw. No, I would trust people like him any farther than I could throw them but I understand why the meeting had to happen.

21. alliwantissometruth says:

All Trump has to do is create jobs, stop the illegal alien invasion, deal with massive worldwide chaos, stop cop killings, restore law & order, remove the corruption & criminality in our system, defeat ISIS & terrorism, reconfigure our business climate, remove thousands upon thousands of business killing regulations, reform our oppressive taxation & change a political landscape that’s been decades in the making

It’s not like his plate is full

Seriously, Trump is doing what any brilliant businessman or woman would do. Gather the troublemakers & the obstacles around you, & try to get on the same page

He doesn’t need constant push back from the ideologically opposed to be gumming up the works. Trump is results orientated. He doesn’t move at a snails pace like our government does. He wants results & he wants them now

I see his meetings with those who would oppose him as a way to possibly smooth out the bumpy ride he’ll face in order to get the America First agenda through. He doesn’t need the phony leftist ideology to be throwing up roadblocks

President Trump wants change, & he wants it yesterday. As usual, he’s way ahead of the pack

• HOW TECH TITANS COULD EARN SUPPORT FROM TRUMP:

If there’s a common thread among the Tech Titans, it’s non-stop innovation, speed of implementation, short-cycle reengineering and relentless productivity improvement.

It’s underpinned with outcome-driven organizational teaming and pay-for-performance.

Trump should tap every one of them to instill these capabilities in government.

Use them to engage support from the Members of Congress they donate to.

Then credit them with their contributions.

• Modern-Day version of
        “ASK not what your country can do for you – SHOW what you can do for your country.”

• BKR – that is a fantastic list and summation of what makes Silicon Valley run. But you left out – constant fear of competition from the latest disruptive technology. Government is good for only ONE thing: slow down or stop activity. Any activity.

To do that, govt must collect money, by force if necessary. This is just not a good business model.

Government = coercion
          Market = cooperation

22. kltk1 says:

Here’s something to ponder. This is probably the clearest example you’ll see of how a BUSINESSMAN motivates people to work WITH them. Leftists politicians would have you believe that dictating to business what they will do because they know what’s best fur the country is the right approach. Many, not all obviously, Republicans would have you believe kissing the behind of business and letting them run over the public is the right thing to do, in the name of profit of course, because if we don’t they’ll have to fire people. While it’s true each of those approaches, at certain times, can be effective but they can’t, and shouldn’t be, standard operating procedure. Which is what its become. PEDJT is clearly telling all these titans of business we’re here to make this better for EVERYBODY. We can, and will, create a far more hospitable business environment for business to innovate and thrive. This is good. Very good, for the average American citizen.

Also, these big shots aren’t stupid, like DJT you don’t get to where they are by being stupid. PEDJT is well documented in standing for the average American citizen, he doesn’t need to have it leaked, or have a Twitter rant, that these businesses better higher more American workers, or else! They know the other side of why they were there yesterday. And DJT made it very clear during the campaign what happens when you kick the average American citizen to the curb in favor of a 40% jump in profit. Ford, Carrier, Nabisco ring a bell during the campaign? I know I’m preaching to the choir here, but, PEDJT isn’t a fool, he knows how to motivate people. He knows every tool in his tool box has a specific purpose and he knows how, and when, to use them. That’s the difference between a craftsman and an apprentice.

23. spindlitis says:

Here’s the other thing: in CA and WA you have a two class system. You have the rich and the poor. The tech people tend to be environmental extremists. Their money buys elections and they tend to hire fellow Lefties. They drive out the middle class, dislike manufacturing jobs and hate rural people.

• I live in WA, and yes, there is some of that, most who work in the tech field are just normal people who love America. It’s the hubs in the city that can get very up on themselves

• wondering999 says:

The tech workers at the large firms truly do live in bubbles: gated workplaces with intense security, catered food, dedicated busses to take them to work. In some ways it’s marvelous (for them, and for the rest of us to imagine) but it doesn’t get them out to see what it’s like for the rest of us getting pickpocketed on public transit, mugged in the parking lots

• My son is pretty high up in a department at amazon. He lives in an apartment in downtown Seattle and either walks or takes the bus. He has been turning left, though. When you are surrounded by alligators, sometimes you think you are an alligator, too.

• Eileen says:

They also hate ‘old’ people where ‘old’ is defined as over 35 and they had the nerve to call us ‘dogs’ – as in you can’t teach ‘old dogs new tricks’ before a Congressional subcommittee on H1-B’s

• BibleBullet says:

Ugh. Next year I’ll turn 35. I’m expiring! Help!!!!!!

It’s really sad that older people are treated that way. I know a genius in his 50s at my job. Even those who aren’t in the genius category still have years of experience and wisdom that still applies no matter what the latest technology is. We’d be poorer without our elders. It disgusts me when companies look to lay off the older folks first, because they’re too “expensive”. I say it’s too expensive not to have their wisdom and experience. These people are my mentors, for heaven’s sake! I wouldn’t be nearly as good of an engineer without them.

24. booger71 says:

These clowns forget that their companies was built by the ingenuity of the American workers, not the Indian or Pakistani workers.

25. NJF says:

I seriously love this man!

26. andi lee says:

• Andi: Thanks SO much.

POWERFUL POSITIONING: Optics speak VOLUMES
      Numbers: Nominal Hat-tip to Visiting Team
      – 12 Trump Team (including Thiel)
      – 13 Tech Titans (12 Companies – 2 from Microsoft)

Groupings: Alternating 3 Trump Team, 3 Tech
      – We’re easily accessible
      – We’ll always be close to you

Locations: Trump Team at the both Center Sections & both Ends
      – Eyes on you: End locations have constant full view
      – Symbolic control: Titans constantly have to swivel heads

Closest to Trump: Cook second to Thiel, Sandburg next to Pence
      (Who’s in the batter’s box for making a contribution)

Furthest from Trump: Microsoft, Bezos, Musk, Intel
      (Who’s needing to earn a starting spot with teamsmanship)

Absent from the Team: Twitter, etc.
      (Who’s sitting in the dugout or watching from the farm team)

27. andi lee says:

28. wondering999 says:

That’s funny! And something I didn’t know about Elon Musk also
    What does Elon Musk think about South Africa now? From pictures and videos it is a beautiful huge country with enormous resources. Doesn’t seem like South Africa lives up to potential yet

• wondering999 says:

Here’s a bit of an opinion about Musk’s motivations
      “Consequently Elon Musk chose to leave South Africa. It must have been a difficult decision, but in retrospect it might have been the most important decision he has ever taken. Today South Africa still has an obsession with racism and he would never have been allowed to be as successful as he has been in the USA, His gratitude for this opportunity is obvious with his repeated statement “America is where great things are possible. I am nauseatingly pro-American.”

“Based on his personal experiences it is logical that Elon Musk considers himself to be American, plain and simple. He will refuse to be drawn into arguments with racial connotations. He has seen what racial obsession can do to an entire country.”

29. This should have been done decades ago ! So glad the majority saw what Trump had to offer, he see’s the big picture it’s not going to be so much us against them anymore you get all these people to work together working with this admin so many good things will happen, schooling is a huge part we need to start teaching the kids useful skills so they can get hired at these big companies no more HB-1’S should be issued . America and its citizens first.

30. wondering999 says:

While Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt was a flawed man in some respects, I have read a lot about him and he has a place of honor in my imagination. I see Trump doing many of Teddy’s practices: Positive thinking, calling in the newsmakers and influential people to get everyone working together.

Teddy Roosevelt was also a proponent of National Parks. Can imagine that eventually Trump & Sons will do something beneficial there, when more urgent tasks are completed. I love the parks and want them well-managed as possible for everyone’s benefit including the park employees

• TR severely neglected his first-born daughter, Alice Roosevelt Longworth.

The National Parks are nothing but a land grab. Their buildings were put there for the uber-wealthy who had time on their hands, driving to the next amusement in their big cars. In fact, the first highways were put in for those people as well.

Constructioin of the buildings in the parks was done by CCC people during the Depression. The CCC was sold to the public as a way to help “the poor and unemployed.” Yes, it’s better than just handing out money, but does nothing to improve the economy.

I don’t see any PETrump there and hope we never do.

• wondering999 says:

Investing, I know the stories of how the parks were created, and have known some of the people who were evicted to form one of the parks. It was difficult for them and in some cases they were cheated.
        I know the Palisades along the Hudson River were bought up and protected by uberwealthy (Rockefellers?) same with Western North Carolina when the Vanderbilts set up Biltmore. Many other places have similar stories. But for me, that doesn’t take away the pleasure of viewing natural landscapes. I’m glad the uberwealthy did something useful with their money that gives pleasure and relaxation to millions, generations later. I’d rather drive and hike around Yellowstone for a week than watch TV, movies, or most sports entertainments. It’s magic for me. We’re different opinions on this. I appreciate the parks, and the history of sacrifice of the people who gave up their homesteads in park creation, and the upkeep that goes into the parks, and the pleasure I get from swimming in mountain streams in the parks where the water is relatively clean. I’d like lots of smaller parks too. They need to be safe and well-maintained, but they are better than most artwork or entertainments (for me)

31. NeverSuspect says:

So funny!

At least half of the tech execs in attendance previously came out against Trump, and many actively worked against him.

And now, they are summoned to Trump tower! Things might have gotten a little heated in the meeting, but that’s OK, because these Titans of Technology could quench their thirst with bottles of Trump Water!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

32. maga2016 says:

I cant take anyone serious who goes against Trump. All he does is just fantastic.

33. gofer says:

There are huge egos in the room and Trump bringing them in and including them by offering to listen and work with them is brilliant. It makes them feel important and needed rather than being an adversary. Trump took the edge off.

34. freepetta says:

Trimp should have kicked Bezoa out!

35. scott says:

Trump is giving them reason to come to him instead of donating millions of dollars to move congress where they want. Trump wants to cut the middle man out and they can come to him or his deputies. No more need to “buy” a congressman or senator. No more need to donate millions to Super PACS. Keep more of your money to donate to your “humanitarian” causes as long as you hire more and more Americans.

These billionaires or “titans of industry” will make their billions regardless of who is in the WH. They will make more billions when Trump reduces gov’t regulations and oversight and all he asks for in return in not loyalty to him or money to him, but to hire Americans and put them to work. Win-win.

• TRUMP DISINTERMEDIATES the CABAL: Wow!
      “Trump wants to cut the middle man out and they can come to him or his deputies.”

Trump takes the Media Middle-Man out.
      Trump takes the Lobbyist Middle-Man out.
      Trump takes the Pay-to-Play Con out.

Trump connects DIRECTLY with the PEOPLE.
      Trump connects DIRECTLY with BUSINESS.
      Trump ENDS the LOBBYIST GRAVY TRAIN.

Where can Congress go for the money to buy elections or for jobs after term limits?
      How can Congress buy the voters who owe their jobs to Trump?
      How little will Congressional and Administration Alums bilk the public as non-lobbyists?

• Apfelcobbler says:

Great points! And Bannon and Miller are included in the go-to list. That must have really thrown them for a loop!

• georgiafl says:

Excellent observation…. Trump is always thinking of the American worker and taxpayer!

36. Joe Knuckles says:

He’s such a nice man…

37. In AZ says:

I absolutely loath and hate these greedy, America hating billionaires who find every way to ruin lives for their dangerous ideaology and ego.

38. rsg says:

All these a-holes really care about is more and more H-1B visas for India And China to send their graduates to the USA, drive down salaries and displace American young people from careers in high tech.

39. Apfelcobbler says:

This gang will be happy to take the FakeNews ball and run with it. They’re in a position to have huge influence on the shape and form of it, even if they are not the “source” of it.

Bezos and the Washington Compost. FakeBook’s curating and now fact checking role. Thiel’s datamining company (even though he has redeeming qualities and a good relationship with Trump. All of them have alliances with the globalists, esp Zuck. Merkel began making “fake news” noises the very day after Obama left Germany.

And now, the first global fake news story: