What to do After Your Teen Calls About a Car Accident

Car Accident Involving Two Cars On The Street

Teens are prone to car accidents. When this incident arises, you have to be there for your kid, but you also need to know what to do so you can be helpful. The following are a few points to help you during this stressful time.

It is Important to Relax

Remember that your kid is inexperienced. This is a very traumatic moment that he or she is not fully prepared to comprehend. It is important that you stay in control of the situation, and keep your kid calm. Many parents tend to get angry or may act dramatic. You do not want to do this because it can make the situation worse for your kid and it really does not need to be. The key is to remain calm because it should help you get through the other steps that need to take place after an accident, like this one.

Think of Safety First

It is important that your teen sets up a perimeter of safety. Tell your kid to check him or herself for any injuries. Passengers should also be checked. The next thing to do is to place warning cones or emergency flares around the vehicle. At the very least, you have to make sure that your kid turns on the emergency lights. This is necessary to make sure your teen is not hit by oncoming traffic. Any injuries sustained should be checked by a doctor as soon as possible, so make sure those arrangements are being made.

Talk to a Professional

Be sure to tell your teen he or she may need to go to court, and you will be there as well. The automobile accident is likely going to be quite expensive. The damage to your teen’s car has to be dealt with, not to mention the other person’s car, depending on whose fault it was. Medical expenses are also going to pile up and there may be psychological damage. This is, after all, a very traumatic experience, and that has to be addressed. Making sure you talk to professionals who focus on car accidents, like the lawyers working at Levin Injury Firm, should help your teen get the money he or she deserves from the insurance companies involved.

Get the Report

The police report is going to be important if your teen decides to take this to court. You need to make sure that your teen is as detailed as possible about what occurred when he or she is questioned by the police officer. It is also important that you tell your teen not to admit to any wrongdoing at this point. All that he or she is doing is reporting the events as they happened without offering any opinions regarding who is at fault. You do not want your kid to incriminate him or herself at this point.

Keep your teen calm during this problem. Try to have someone in your family meet the teen wherever he or she is if you cannot make it there yourself. It is okay to worry as a parent, but attempt to control that worry until your kid is safe.

About Ad rem

Millions of little gray cells wrapped in fur.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to What to do After Your Teen Calls About a Car Accident

1. FofBW says:

Thank goodness my kids are late 30’s. Now grandkids are on their way up.

2. StarryNights says:

Hopefully your child is okay!

3. Michael says:

Get your back checked after ANY accident no matter how minor it may seem!
    I was in two auto accidents as a young person (neither my fault BTW) and thought I was unscathed.
    40 yrs later with a bad back the radiologist tells me the original damage was decades ago and was I in an accident? Yes two car wrecks but I felt fine. He said well how do you feel now?
    Smartass doc.

With therapy at the time I might not be nearly in as much pain today.

• thomasdiner says:

With respect, as a former and very jaded trial attorney for plaintiffs in personal injury actions, your radiologist is a whore. He is looking for treatment and expert witness fees that litigation will bring. Further, if any lawyer takes a case where the accident was 40 years ago it is merely irrefutable proof that three are way too many lawyers. Now, if you are saying that 40 years ago you had a compensable injury then . . the same assertions apply. With objective evidence and complaint, the $500 you might get to go away is not worth anything and, if the insurer digs in, what are you going to do testify at trial?

4. Lumina says:

Fortunately my 2 daughters made it thru the new driver period. But the 2 minor fender benders we have been in were caused by new teen drivers with less than 6 month experience. Hopefully they learned from their errors. We were willing to let a teen boy not go thru insurance, until his Dad commented the damage on our car bumper was minor & the Mom said he had a tough time finding a job. This was the 90’s in Seattle area when if you could stand up & could breathe you were hired as jobs were more than abundant.

Still with my kids in their 20’s I take a slow deep breath to keep calm and hold the I told you so until much later or when they have that realization themself…

5. Fe says:

Great article Ad Rem. My kids are grown, both in their 30s and both have 2 daughters. My oldest granddaughter is now 13. In 3 years she will be able to drive. I will counsel my kids to remain calm should anything happen, and I pray that it never happens. Both my kids had accidents in their early 20s, so there wasn’t much I could do except thank Jesus for protecting them. I pray this prayer daily, traveling mercy for all my loved ones.

6. Linda McMillan says: