Matt Finn just reported for Fox9 News in Minnesota confirming some details and adding a few more after discussion with Yanez attorney and investigators:
- Officer Jeronimo Yanez is Mexican not Asian as claimed by Diamond Reynolds.
- Philando Castile and Diamond Reynolds did not comply with instructions to keep their hands “up, visible and don’t move them”.
- There was a handgun “visible” on the lap of Philando Castile
- Officer Yanez reacted to the gun and Philando Castile’s movements.
- Confirmation again that officer Yanez did pull over Castile and Reynolds as an outcome of Castile fitting the profile from the armed robbery July 2nd.
10:25am AP UPDATE: An attorney for a suburban Minneapolis police officer who killed a black motorist says the officer reacted to the man’s gun, not his race.
Minneapolis attorney Thomas Kelly told The Associated Press on Saturday that St. Anthony Police Officer Jeronimo Yanez was reacting to “the presence of that gun and the display of that gun” when he opened fire on Philando Castile.
Castile’s girlfriend, who streamed the shooting’s aftermath live on Facebook, says Castile was permitted to carry the gun.
Kelly says Yanez, who is Latino, is distraught and saddened over the Wednesday shooting in the Minneapolis suburb of Falcon Heights.
Authorities say that during the traffic stop, Yanez approached Castile’s car from the driver’s side and another officer approached from the passenger side. Yanez opened fire, striking Castile multiple times.
Kelly wouldn’t elaborate on what led up to the shooting, citing a pending investigation. (LINK)