mn shooting 4

Against the earlier shooting in Baton Rouge Louisiana, unfortunately this police shooting will lead the news cycles – guaranteed.

This latest shooting happened only a few hours ago.  Police said the incident began with a traffic stop around 9 p.m (link).

Sketchy Details / No media yet – As best we can determine, a woman named Lavish Reynolds (aka Diamond Reynolds) immediately began live-streaming video of the aftermath from a police officer shooting her boyfriend four times.  A four year old girl was in the back seat.

mn shooting 5mn shooting 6

update-1Local Media ReportMINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — WCCO confirms that a 32-year-old man has died after an officer-involved shooting Wednesday night in Falcon Heights.

Philando Castile’s mother, Valerie Castile, says he died at Hennepin County Medical Center.  St. Anthony Police confirmed the shooting, which happened in the area of Larpenteur Avenue and Fry Street. Castile’s girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and her daughter were in the car at the time. Reynolds is in custody Wednesday night.

A video circulating on Facebook, which was pulled from the site before midnight, was filmed by Reynolds and appears to show the aftermath of the shooting.

Reynolds, who was in the front passenger seat, says in the video that she was pulled over for a broken tail light. She says police asked Castile, who was driving, for his license and registration.

She says as Castile was reaching for his wallet, he informed officers that he had a firearm in his possession, and a conceal-and-carry permit.  Reynolds says in the video that an officer then shot her boyfriend four times. (read more)

According to the video (auto-streamed to Facebook here) and the narration, Philando Castile was driving, Ms Reynolds was the passenger as they were pulled over by the police.  Her boyfriend informed the police officer he was licensed to carry a firearm, and when he reached for his wallet to get his ID the officer fired into the vehicle four times.

Here’s the video, but be warned this is very graphic, unsettling, and emotionally disturbing to watch and hear the driver explain what’s going on:

Reynolds: Stay with me. We got pulled over for a busted tail light in the back and he’s covered … they killed my boyfriend. He’s licensed to carry. He was trying to get out his ID and his wallet out his pocket and he let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm.

Officer: Ma’am, keep your hands where they are.

Reynolds: I am sir, no worries.

Officer: [Yells expletive.]

Reynolds: He just got his arm shot off. We got pulled over on Larpenteur.

Officer: I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his head up!

Reynolds: He had, you told him to get his ID sir, his driver’s license. Please don’t tell me he’s dead.

Officer: [Expletive.]

Reynolds: Please don’t tell me my boyfriend just went like that.

Officer: Keep your hands where they are.

Reynolds: Yes I will, sir. I will keep my hands where they are. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please don’t tell me that he’s gone. Please officer, don’t tell me that you just did this to him. You shot four bullets into him, sir. He was just getting his license and registration, sir.

[Silence]

Other Officer: Get the female passenger out of the car.

Reynolds: Where’s my daughter you have my daughter?”

[Five Minutes Later]

Reynolds: I got … the Roseville Police got me handcuffed, my phone is about to die. I’m on Larpenteur and Fry and the Roseville Police Department just shot my boyfriend. They shot him four times. He has a license to carry. We had a busted tail light. And we had some weed in the car that’s about it.  (Transcript Via CBS Minnesota)

Here’s the facebook link:

MN shooting

In anticipation of this video disappearing there’s also a duplicate copy available below.

This entry was posted in Abusive Cops, BGI - Black Grievance Industry, Death Threats, Police action, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1,248 Responses to Update: Disturbing Video – Police Officer Shoots Driver In Falcon Heights Minnesota – Passenger Records Aftermath…

1. LM says:

People, we don’t have a justice system any of us can count on anymore.

Citizens are divided by class, gender and color.

We cannot trust that the system is fair….because it is not.

Laws are selectively applied and targeted to specific groups….and if we a not part of one of the groups that is currently suffering…we should at least demand that the rule of law be reinstated.

I honestly believe that we must resist the forces that seek to divide us. I can agree that all citizens are entitled to equal justice under the law….which also means that the law be applied equally to all citizens…even those who consider themselves rulers.

• coeurdaleneman says:

You make it sound like there is uneven application of justice for minorities. I suspect that your opinion is based upon statistical data showing more arrests-per-person for people of certain colors? And that they are picked on unnecessarily?

I can understand people having this stance, because of a chicken-or-the-egg quandary about actualities that lead to police interactions in the first place. And whether the numbers stem from uneven police targeting.

But then I am confronted with lopsided instances of murder and violent crimes. That’s an inconvenenient truth for those claiming that the cops unfairly target. Those deadly stats show that there is an uneven penchant among certain minorities to break the law, even at its most dangerous levels. Those crimes are not cop-generated. So I tend to believe that the same populaces tend to break the law all the way down the seriousness ladder proportionate to the murder rate. And that the cops are not picking on them per se.

• Disparate impact is a logical fallacy, to obscure the sad truth of disparate cause.

• MC227 says:

Blacks commit a huge number of violent crimes proportionate to their percentage of the US population. They seem to have a problem with following simple directions as well. Of course the media wants us to believe it’s whites committing all the crimes. Whites are the least likely to commit crimes after blacks, muslims and illegal aliens. FACT.

• trumptyear says:

. “whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.”
      Let’s start with 2014, the last year for which there are official records. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the police killed 261 whites and 131 blacks. The CDC also found that from 1999 to 2013, the police killed almost twice the number of whites compared to blacks, 3,160 and 1,724, respectively

Here’s what those promoting the “police disproportionately kill black people” narrative consistently omit. Whites, despite being almost 65 percent of the population, disproportionately commit less of the nation’s violent crime — 10 percent. Blacks, at 13 percent of the population, disproportionately commit more violent crime. As to murders, black commit nearly half. Yet whites are 50 percent of cop killings.

Criminology professor Peter Moskos looked at the numbers of those killed by officers from May 2013 to April 2015 and found that 49 percent were white, while 30 percent were black. “Adjusted for the homicide rate,” says Moskos, “whites are 1.7 times more likely than blacks to die at the hands of police.” So if anything, whites have more to complain about than Mr. Williams.

This is fact check by By Larry Elder

• Finalage says:

The only thing I will say on this is every cop should have a body camera. We are in the video age. To save themselves from all of this craziness, get a body camera.

2. Serpentor says:

When I watched the video last night shortly after it posted, I turned it off shortly after she said “the officer told him not to move and then he shot when he went to put his hands back up” (or similar quote). Basically, told to freeze and didn’t freeze. HER OWN ADMISSION ON VIDEO.

Sadly, with the BGI you can never trust what they say. They might be telling the truth, but odds are they aren’t. That’s sad to me.

Then of course CTH’s “friend” Chuck Johnson (yes, that’s said in jest) comes out last night that this guy was a crip gang-banger. I’ve also found it odd how she matter of factly discusses things on video with her “boyfriend” sitting next to her dying. She then tries to act emotional when saying he’s dead even though you can hear him gasping for air and clearly alive.

It’s the race thing all over again. For once it would be nice if everyone tried to ascertain the truth. Sadly, we know that won’t happen except for us here on CTH and maybe on the internet in general.

Meanwhile, Hillary is still cackling.

That’s right.

• Darth Vaper says:

It’s hard to follow instructions exactly when you have a gun pointed at you. Adrenaline kicks in, and you get scared. It could be that the guy’s default reaction was to put his hands. Of course, that in turn would have spooked the officer and that could explain why he shot him. Sounds like a terrible mistake.

• JunieG says:

I have a CC. I was told that if I was ever pulled over for a traffic stop, to pull out my driver’s license AND CC license at the same time and hand them to the officer, so he/she would know immediately. That’s what I would do if I was asked for ID. If I was told to FREEZE, I would not move.

• Jeffrey says:

I also hold a CCW. I was instructed to have both hands on the wheel, inform the officer imediately that I am a permit holder and ask for instructions without moving my hands at all until instructions are recieved and repeated by myself and aknowleged.

• Abster says:

I also have permit and usually carry when travelling. I was also told if ever pulled over by LE to leave hands at 10 and 2, wait for officer and tell him you have permit and weapon, then wait for his instructions. I also think I remember that your drivers license information shows LE you have CCP…could that be?

• AZ_Giggles says:

I also have a CCW and was told that it’s usually best to wait until asked, unless the weapon is visible at which point you do as everyone here has stated, you LEAVE YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL and wait for further instructions. Because in AZ you no longer are required to have a CCW permit in order to carry concealed but I have one so I can conceal carry in other states (well, the other states where AZ’s CCW is recognized).

Why tell the officer about it WHILE moving though? usually, they ask for ID, I go for ID, open my wallet, they observe my CCW and THEN they ask if I have a firearm in the car, at which point I tell them if and where it is located (since a common place is the glove box and that’s also where my registration/insurance is kept, they usually open that themselves… though with all these “incidents” I’ve since changed where (when I’m carrying) my firearm is located.

• rattlerjake says:

First of all, the CCWP/CCP is an unconstitutional requirement, meaning it is illegal under the second amendment! Secondly, being taught in CCWP/CCP courses that you should give a cop your permit with your driver’s license is bullshiit! YOU NEVER PROVIDE ANYTHING TO COPS unless they demand it. The Constitution allows you the protection from self incrimination and answering their questions or giving them something they did not “demand” CAN be used against you. Under the Constitution and a ruling by the supreme court, enforcement of “traffic laws” against individual personal travel is illegal. Government is only allowed to regulate inter- and intra-state commerce, but they continue this scam because it brings in billions of dollars each year. Speed limits are ARBITRARY! You cannot be charged with a crime when none has been committed, and speeding is NOT a crime! A crime can only occur when there is harm or damage to an individual or property. Why is it that the first thing a cop says is he wants your license and registration, without even telling you why he stopped you? Because he can go back to his vehicle and see if there is additional crap to charge you with. Make him tell you what “crime” you have committed; then only provide what he DEMANDS and state that you are only providing it under duress.
            The problem with this individual is that he was a continuous repeat offender of multiple traffic “laws”, which the cop probably saw on the computer when he ran the car plates; he stated he had a gun and a CCP; he is black and the black race is KNOWN for their “cop killing” behavior; AND, the individual did NOT do as instructed, by reaching for his wallet when told NOT TO MOVE!

• booger71 says:

Could you provide the supreme court case that decided that traffic laws are unconstitutional?. The Constitution or Bill of Rights does not delve into the realm of traffic laws, thus it is a 10th Amendment Issue. That being said, I do agree with you that the 2nd Amendment gives every citizen the right to carry.

• Abster says:

I’m white and would not challenge an officer when asked to provide whatever he/she is asking. I am a law abiding citizen and was brought up to respect the law and law enforcement. Sadly, blacks are taught at an early age the complete opposite. They have also learned there is easy, big money to be had.

• Sandra says:

So we have three possibilities here:

1) Cop over-reacted
        2) Cop reacted, driver reacted, crossed signals, unfortunate accident-type shooting
        3) Driver threatened the cop

And we have NO idea yet which one it is.

Have the police issued a statement regarding the cop’s side of the story? It will be interesting to hear when it comes out.

• John Galt says:

“It’s hard to follow instructions exactly when you have a gun pointed at you.”

I’ve never had that problem. Sounds like a Darwin kind of thing.

• I read he worked as a cook for a Montessori school for 14 or 15 years. Hard to believe they would keep a crip gang member there for that long.

• Gang-bangers grow up and either continue to identify with the gang, or denounce their past (albeit in socially approved ways). It’s so common, like drug crimes, people hiring almost have to overlook it.

• Ted Koehl says:

I am looking at this photo and it appears like the guy who was shot was a passenger since the seat belt looks like it comes off of the right side of the car and crosses down to the man’s left. How is the guy driving the car? The picture immediately does not fit the story narrative.

• Toronto Tonto says:

Reverse photo

• stobberdobber says:

How do you do that making a live stream video? How does the steering wheel end up on the right side and the seat-belt be over the right shoulder?

• satmfs says:

They didn’t explain it, but I read one commentor say that the front facing camera on a smartphone reverses the image. I can’t say for sure since my phone only has a rear facing camera.

3. Abster says:

I agree w many. The calmness of girlfriend is surprising, particularly bc she had child w them. Curious as to initial contact bt officer and victim. Amazing how many of these videos begin in middle of story! Jackpot.

• satmfs says:

The girlfriend sounded like a BLM activist, especially when being interviewed at a later rally. No one has dug into her background yet, but her using two different first names, one of them being ‘Diamond’, tells me there’s more to her story.

4. Sparky5253 says:

I think the girlfriend’s response is downright weird and sick. Her boyfriend gets shot and she is more concerned with getting it all on video and recording her commentary so she can post it on FB. And, she has a child watching all of this.

There is definitely more to this story.

• bertdilbert says:

Well all I can say is her boyfriend must not have been her meal ticket. If she relied on him for her daily life she would be freaking out and not posting to FB. It looks to me like she sees her video of the situation as being her meal ticket.

• bar-revue says:

I disagree. Documenting police encounters is your only defense. I cannot say what her motivations are, but I would record all police encounters. Broken tail light? Seriously?

• Sandra says:

But the thing is, she did not document the encounter. She documented her own recounting of it AFTER it already happened. While her “boyfriend” was dying next to her. Did I miss her telling him any loving or kind words? “I love you baby!” or “Hang in there!” or anything like that? Did I miss it?

• Sandra says:

I just realized she reminds me of Freddie Gray when he was faking a serious injury when the bike cops were first loading him into the van. So convincing that bystanders and even some of us on CTH thought he was injured … until he was about ready to enter the van and he stood on his own to talk to a buddy behind him.

• Abster says:

Exactly…she has begun the story line. Would officer had already had to radio in he was pulling suspect over and why?

• Toronto Tonto says:

Shock
            Documentation, no “meal ticket” about it. The man died senselessly. She also doesn’t know if her life is in danger and has every right to fear for it and her daughter’s.

• James F says:

She obviously did not fear her daughter dying in a car accident. I did not see a toddler seat in her “boyfriends” car.

She was not concerned enough about her daughter to film police taking her out of the car or explain why she was removed from the car before starting her video documentary.

• Jimmy Jack says:

I thought I was the only one here pointing that out. Happy to see it isn’t just me w the car seat. Save your weed money for a carseat lady.

• jake says:

To be fair, she stated she was his girlfriend, not his wife. These people may have only known eachother for several weeks for all we know. Its possible that she said what needed to be said to him prior to recording the video, and this video was a way of trying to get him justice.

The officer is also instructing her not to move her hands or arms at all, so it’s not like she can go hug him or anything. To me it sounds like she’s speaking that way in order to remain calm both for the officer, as well as for the camera in order to highlight how erratic the cop is behaving.

I hope I’m not being naive, but I think this story deserves a chance before discrediting it as bgi. The distinguishing factor here between this and freddy grey is this man was a concealed permit holder. He obviously believes in the right to arm oneself and this cop took that away from him with his life.

• JunieG says:

I remember reading somewhere that if in a traffic stop, to be polite, quiet and deferential, which is what, in my view, this woman is doing. With this in mind, this is how I am interpreting this video.

• Sandra says:

She’s not being outrageous to the cop, but what about the driver? We have no idea what happened. And sorry, but I cannot trust the account of a woman who is so cold-hearted that she can do a live-stream monologue while her “boyfriend” is dying next to her.

• AZ_Giggles says:

I would say, it might have occurred to her once they told her to not move her hands. If she was forbidden from doing anything else, she could’ve decided to take a video. and her calm demeanor could be from still being in shock. Not saying I believe that, but it is another angle to consider. I am in the habit of filming EVERY incident with a cop, though I usually start recording the minute I get pulled over… then forget about it. It’s as much for the cop’s protection as it is mine.

Regardless, her “timeline” doesn’t seem to fit what’s going on. And why is she claiming her boyfriend is dead? Why not call to the cops for help, “look, he’s still alive, please help!” or something? no, I really DON’T want to know the answer to that.

• Darth Vaper says:

She was calm at first because she was in shock. Also, she was remaining calm because if she didn’t want to die. It’s a survival thing, you can’t panic or freak out in front of a cop with a gun pointed at you. Think about it. She sounded very upset later on in the video once it sunk in more. Honestly, I have no idea how I would react if a loved one was unexpectedly shot dead by a cop. How would you react?

• bertdilbert says:

Well If the person next to me just got shot, I would probably have my hands on the dash where the officer could see them and not screwing with a cell phone. Nor would I be challenging the cop with a gun as to what he did and what was said. Apparently, she is just as stupid as he was.

• Sandra says:

Wouldn’t you also say something to the dying person? Words of love and encouragement? The more I think about her actions, the more laughable they seem to me. She was setting herself up for a lawsuit win, it seems.

Let me tell you, the ghetto dwellers are not stupid about lawsuits. I was unfortunate to be attached to someone from a ghetto family. These people have filed multiple lawsuits. Me? NONE. They know how to work the system to get cash.

• Katefelinus says:

She is too calm and collected. If my boyfriend had just been shot and killed in front of me and my child, I wouldn’t even think of grabbing my phone and sharing it with the world. It’s amazing how she remembers so many details, description of the officer, names of streets, oh,yes, and she needs a ride home? Interesting event right before the conventions.

• Toronto Tonto says:

She deserves to be compensated.

• Jason says:

perhaps an investigation could be done before we determine whether people are at fault and restitution is warranted.

Freddie Grey’s family got 6.4 Million and it seems quite obvious that most everyone involved knows it was an accident most likely caused by Grey’s own actions. Perhaps the officer(s) acted wrongly, perhaps there is more to the story that will come out in time. For now, I don’t see any need to rush to conclusions. Unfortunately the threat of riots will likely become a part of the narrative and there once again to be pressure to ‘hear the call’ of no justice, no peace.

• Timmy-the-Ute says:

She is a girlfriend not a wife. Compensation for just being a witness?

• Darth Vaper says:

Words of love and encouragement sound like the rational thing to do. That’s definitely what I hope I would do in that situation. But then again, I might be in shock and disbelief. I have no idea if I would act like I would expect in such a situation. Also, if my loved one was unjustifiably shot I would also want evidence to exonerate them.

I’ll admit though that it does seem odd that she thought to start recording the incident, but couldn’t think to console her dying boyfriend. She did pray to God and Jesus a lot, which makes sense. Castile looks like he’s not quite dead at the beginning of the video, but maybe he was unresponsive. Maybe she said her words of love and encouragement, and then pulled out the phone. Honestly though, why would you pull out anything in front of a triggered cop with a gun pulled out?

Not sure what you mean about “ghetto dwellers,” but I’ve never really made friends with anyone from the ghettos.

• nancyg22 says:

I’d probably be screaming, crying, and basically hysterical.

• benY says:

She expects to be the next winner in the lawsuit lottery.

5. paulraven1 says:

• coeurdaleneman says:

? In some high-profile cases, the defense attorneys were grateful to have a diligent set of online allies crowdsourcing the evidence, and performing painstaking research that was free and helpful to their eventual innocence.

Letting the political/media system steamroll their clients without doing anything rubs many Treepers the wrong way.

• Niagara Frontier says:

I normally would agree with you except that this kind of thing moves around the globe in an instant. I actually heard about it first on Canadian TV and radio.

I think there is a purpose served in urging people not to reach conclusions prematurely.

• stobberdobber says:

“paulraven1 says:
      July 7, 2016 at 11:35 am
      I must say these stories hold zero interest to me. Too much confusion and disputation. Let the locals sort it out.”
      Then why bother opening it? The title and preamble are there before you open it. Sorry just wondering.

6. mariner says:

I haven’t watched the video, and I don’t plan to. The fact that it STARTED AFTER THE SHOOTING means that it can’t possibly be evidence of the officer’s conduct (or misconduct) in the shooting itself.

• Sandra says:

You should just listen to the video then, you don’t need to watch it. Listen to the woman speak about the incident, and keep in mind that her alleged “boyfriend” is dying right next to her. No “I love you” or “Hang in there, we’re getting help!” kind of encouragement. It’s very disturbing, and I think very telling as well.

• oldiadguy says:

I would normally agree, but the recording went on for a period of time and you could hear the officer who fired the shoots cursing in the background. That recording can be cleaned up and it might be possible to pickup other statements made by that officer that could incriminate him. Don’t know at this time, but it looks like he wasn’t aware that the post event was being broadcast.

Take Care

7. LM says:

Abuse of power and privilege is killing us as a society and as a country.

Wherever we find it…and even if it is in a group that we favor…I believe that it is a responsiblity or good people to stand against it,

Compassion can be extended to all involved in this incident.

While not in possession of all of the facts, I believe the officer was scared and ove-reacted. I also believe that the loss of life is agonizing for those involved. None of us know how we would react unless, God forbid, we faced the same situation,

Stigmatizing an entire group–unless it is for a belief system they all adhere to–plays to the hand of those who want to divide us for political gain,

• Sandra says:

You believe the officer was scared and over-reacted …. why?

You know what group is stigmatized? White cops who shoot black people, even when the shootings are completely justified.

• LM says:

One of the reasons that I support Donald Trump is that I want to see the rule of law restored.

i do not want to live in a society which allows mistreatment of any group of people based on issues of race…no matter the color.

People in positions of power must be held accountable if they abuse it. I am not ready to exonerate the officer just because he was in uniform, is white (if he is), or because the victim is black. Neither am I ready to declare him guilty of racist brutality. But because of the heated discussion and the facts available I am ready to say that the force applied seems excessive and my conclusion is that he was scared.

If I hate anything, it is seeing race used as an issue to divide us.

And, I do not want to grant officers the privilege of killing any citizen without accounting for it. We already have that….Obama can just declare them a national security threat and they can be taken out by drones.

• Southern Son says:

OR…Chinese American Cops.

• Abster says:

There would be little reaction if this victim were white. Something odd about the woman’s total lack of emotion re the entire incident and sitting their next to supposed loved one offering no aid or comfort. Blacks refuse to reason. You teach your kids how to act or stop having them. I don’t want them as my problem or my community’s problem. They seem to think they get a pass bc of color regardless of circumstances or past criminal behavior. The day is soon coming when no one wants to be in LE. If involved in a shooting these days it seems the officer is now guilty until proven innocent … not good.

• Ruffin says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^thousand

• bamainatlanta says:

“a belief system they all adhere to”

Well not all Muslims adhere to the same theological understanding, yet many here assume they all do

8. David says:

Cop was a panicky coward. Did he get any training at all?

• BakoCarl says:

By your own statements, you demonstrate neither.

• David says:

“Searching out verifiable facts and using logic to come to supportable conclusions requires training and experience.”

Yes, that is why I made my comment. I stuck with the facts and used logic.

“By your own statements, you demonstrate neither.”

Wrong.

• CoolEdge says:

All we see is recorded after cop shot, killed the guy. Maybe not so unreasonable that he is very “intense” after that. But we don’t know if he didn’t respond exactly as trained to do. He said he told him not to reach for it … he reached.

The woman says officer told him to reach for his ID … why trust her more than the excited officer? The officer was fully aware of what he just did (had to do?). He knows cops not always treated fairly either, certainly not anxious to shoot.

How likely he had run the plates and knew this guy’s long record, maybe even gang involvement? So we wait for details, see if officer has audio recorded. If he is recorded saying don’t reach, the girlfriend is on record saying he did reach, but she claimed it was for ID. Could he still have carry permit with a long history of arrests? “Don’t reach for IT”, what was the IT? Hand under seat belt shoulder strap does seem odd. Was the gun in lap or within reach? Gang guy might well carry it in lap … but after stopped would have put it elsewhere unless looking to shoot, I’d think.

• notasmidgeon says:

Can a gang member/ felon obtain a CC? I didn’t think this was allowed? Background check fairly thorough for a CC license. (?) Also, maybe I’m confused but he was driving if I heard it all correctly but in the vid, what side of the car is he seat belted. Which side is she sitting on?

• CoolEdge says:

video is inverted for some reason … upthread someone had a vimeo video that redid it correctly. … will be interesting to find out other details, like the CC license and all the “facts” she stated about the guy. time will tell much … if gun was in lap, don’t reach for IT would be clear … but it doesn’t take long to grab and shoot, so not moving when told don’t reach is better response than ignoring.

• David says:

“All we see is recorded after cop shot, killed the guy. Maybe not so unreasonable that he is very “intense” after that.”

My statement is only based on the behavior of the officer during the video, and has nothing to do with what the woman is saying, nor is my statement a judgement of the actual shooting itself.

What you call “intense” is what I called panic…the cop is completely panicked as demonstrated by his voice, his words, and his pacing. He is bemoaning the fact that the man didn’t listen to him. That is to reassure himself. I am making a harsh assessment by calling the cop a coward at this moment, but the first thing most people want to do after badly wounding or killing someone is to grab onto a reason, whether justified or not, that it was the other person’s fault.

I totally understand that reaction, but it is cowardly. When you shoot someone, you made the decision. Accept responsibility. It may very well have been the right decision. But you own it.

• Bill Webb says:

You obviously have never been in that situation and don’t know what you are “talking” about. Limbic brain takes over. Adrenaline surge… … … What is scary is her sociopathic behavior. Some very strange things about that video. How was her child already with the other police when they arrived. Much more to this than meets the eye at this point.

• David says:

“You obviously have never been in that situation”

Correct, I never took a job being a tax collector for the state so I could nickel and dime people for minor traffic violations.
            “don’t know what you are “talking” about.”

Yes I do.

“Limbic brain takes over. Adrenaline surge”

Exactly, fight or flight syndrome. That is why the cop is panicking.

“What is scary is her sociopathic behavior.”

Your opinion. I have no opinion on her behavior, except that she is obviously not panicking.

• cajost says:

I can understand why someone would think that, but, it is clear there is WAY more to this than what his “girlfriend” is articulating in this video. I’ve been researching this am so far, he is a known member of a gang and it appears they pulled the car over for the simple light and then he was identified and is known to be violent and (probably) has warrants.

I won’t make a call either way until the facts come out.

• VegasGuy says:

At the 4:02 point in her narrative….

“He’s a good man…he works for (unintelligible) a public school…he doesn’t have no record or anything…he never been in jail or anything…he not a gang member or anything….”

Note she doesn’t say he was a good father, or that he loved his little girl, or that he was a family man, etc. Only reasons that he “dundunuffin”…..& that he was an outstanding member of the community.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for the BGI) since she did capture his image at the start of the video, they won’t be able to put up “family pictures” of a 16 YO aspiring family man who just dindunuffin.

Aside from him possibly working for the School District (still to be ascertained), it doesn’t appear that the remainder of her liturgy will hold up.

BGI will be in full force shortly to dhore up the areas she “mis-spoke” & to paint a new picture.

Coming in 3…2…1.…

• Like Gary Byrne said in his book Crisis of Character (re: Clinton’s) and re police: You don’t rise to the occasion; you fall to the highest level of your training.

• oldiadguy says:

“You don’t rise to the occasion; you fall to the highest level of your training.”

You exactly correct!!!

Take Care

• triper57 says:

When did a gang banger qualify for a CCW. that implies that he had a legal gun? Just an nagging unanswered question.

• Toronto Tonto says:

We have a pic of him in blue, and now he’s a “gang banger”. Could’ve been a Halloween costume. He worked as a cook in a grade school.

9. Nationalist says:

Let’s start by conceding a few points here to the Black Lives Matter folks and then move forward to draw some logical conclusions…

For the sake of clarity, we non-liberal, non-black folks are often called ‘racists’ and accused of ‘racial profiling’, so let’s go ahead and concede those points to move the discussion along. Yes, many if not most and perhaps even ALL of us, including me, are indeed prejudiced and yes I/we do profile people.

Guilty as charged!

So, with that honest confession out of the way let’s now explore WHY I freely admit that I am prejudiced toward a great many things and why I profile…

That’s pretty simple, really. I observe what happens in my own life and from my own personal experiences and then I draw conclusions that help to protect me and my family in potentially dangerous situation.

The word ‘prejudice’ means literally to pre-judge. It is a sort of mental shorthand that allows us to streamline our thinking and to accelerate our reflexes and reaction times when presented with a dangerous situation. Like many terms the left bastardizes—a true ‘prejudice’ is something that is good, not bad.

I am, for example, also prejudiced towards a live electrical wire that is on the ground sparking. It is dangerous—so my mind has allowed me to instantly sense that danger and then react quickly to avoid it. I am also prejudiced towards cliff edges with crumbly rock edges, banana peels on slippery floors, rabid wild animals, severe tornados, venomous snakes, and the list goes on and on. Those are all things that can hurt me—so I avoid them and I definitely do not ‘like’ them.

Once we stop fighting on the defined battlefield of the enemies’ choice…in this case whether or not we are prejudiced—then we can move on to the real issue, which is the reason WHY I am prejudiced about any certain thing or another. That really is the point you see. The reason WHY.

A prejudice CANNOT exist logically without empirical data to support the pre-judged conclusions. If you really want to stop prejudice toward a certain group—then that group should take steps to stop doing the things that CAUSE that prejudice and racial profiling.

Liberals want us all to recoil in horror at being called prejudiced, or a racist. The way to cut the legs out from under them is to say ‘of course I am prejudiced—now let’s talk about WHY.’

• Sandra says:

Very sound thinking. Excellent post.

• BakoCarl says:

Nationalist – I fully agree with your examples but disagree (respectfully – honest) that “A prejudice CANNOT exist logically without empirical data to support the pre-judged conclusions”.
      In fact, many/most dictionaries define predudice as a preconceived opinion that is NOT based on reason or actual experience. Lack of reason and actual experience are inherent to the definition of prejudice.
      Frankly, you have based your conclusions on both reason and actual experience – a very solid basis. But those conclusions do no demonstrate prejudice.
      If I had the words to show you I mean this criticism supportively, I’d add them . . . but my verbiage tank is dry at the moment.

• jsjavascript says:

“First step in solving any problem is recognizing there is one” ?
      one down 11 more to go.

This instance/tragedy Made me take a step back, #PhilandoCastile seems to have done everything right, and still, it ended wrong. as far as “empirical data to support the pre-judged conclusions”. I’m afraid that will take generation on top of generations to remove the stigma associated with skin color. until then law enforcement carries the burden of change.

• BakoCarl says:

Please inform us of “everything right” that Philando Castile did before the video started. And please inform us as to how you specifically know these facts. Please verify.
        Thank you.

• 1stgoblyn says:

And why does law enforcement carry the burden of change? Seems to me if the law-breakers made changes in THEIR behavior, we would not have so many of incidents of this nature.

• George True says:

Because a man is DEAD who did not commit and was not committing a crime, THAT’S WHY. It could have been any one of us. The trigger happy cops of today are equal opportunity killers, who at the slightest perceived provocation will readily shoot any of us regardless of race or station in life. There has been a radical and fundamental change in the mindset that cops are trained in. They are trained to shoot first and ask questions later. They are trained to view John Q Public as their enemy, not as their employer. There has been a profound degradation in the level of respect that cops show citizens.

I have talked to a number of retired LEO’s with 20-30 years of service. They mostly tell me the same thing. They are sickened by how cops treat people now. In their day, they were RESPECTFUL to people they pulled over. If somebody they needed to arrest resisted or got combative, they had a number of effective ways to make the person comply, without needing to use their gun and before the existence of tasers.

Cops today generally are bullies and cowards. If they are so fearful of every encounter, and shoot someone at the slightest movement, then they are in the wrong line of work. Cops are supposed to be examples of courage, not cowardly pussies. And don;t even get me started about how supposedly dangerous their job is. Their occupation is literally about 27th on the list of most dangerous jobs. They are not ‘heroes’. It galls me every time I hear them referred to as such. They are parasites sucking at the government teat, no different from multitudes of government bureaucrats who draw an overly generous salary, rich benefits package, and an extraordinarily rich pension, all at our expense.

I used to worship policemen. But that was back in the day when most of them were worthy of it. Now, after 65 years of life in this country, and after decades of seeing the morphing of ‘Officer Friendly’ into a thuggish, shoot-first government goon, I have no illusions that cops are in any way working for us little people.

• Ruffin says:

Very astute comment, but the thugs are clueless, they are cheered on and idolized for criminal behavior.

• benY says:

I agree it may take generations if the SJW keep rioting, burning, looting, attacking lone whitiey on the street and knocking them out, calling for “killing whitey”, “kill pigs”, “cops need to die”. Yes, perhaps when they start acting like they can exist in a civil society we can all get along.

10. Pam says:

Oh please. lol

• Remington says:

Did the taupe dope mention anything about the assassination of Levoy Fillicum in Oregon? ‘Being deeply concerned and all…

• Racewellwon says:

But Obama is NOT disturbed by 62 gunned down in Chicago over the weekend !

• Sandra says:

Hahaha! So true! This is so horrible I am now laughing. It’s so beyond ridiculous and outrageous it now seems funny to me. Like how much more of this nonsense can we take?

• VegasGuy says:

I believe that we can all agree…..Obama IS “deeply disturbed” and leave it at that….

• Racewellwon says:

I agree and what about that rock band Wavves they have stated NO TRUMP SUPORTERS at their concerts . Really – many on the CPD support Trump . I hope the police refuse to protect them on July 28th in Chicago – let this band walk through the southside – C if he makes out alive ! I guarantee there are NO Trump Supporters on the Southside of Chicago .

• Darth Vaper says:

That’s where black lives are really getting destroyed and killed, but since it’s “routine” we can’t have any sensationalism about that. Sad priorities by Obama, as usual.

• Mikayla825 says:

He’s deeply disturbed alright.

• Jason says:

*Earnest declined to comment on the Louisiana killing, citing a Justice Department investigation into the incident. The department is also weighing a probe of the Minneapolis shooting *

They wasted no time on these did they 😦 Guess it’s just the right time to stir up the anarchist… err, protesters and kick off some riotin… err, civil disobedience. Also sounds like they’ve dispatched the CRS already, so expect consistent ‘no justice no peace’ gatherings sponsored by our favorite communist organizations.

• Jason says:

on the bright side.. it seems the Fed’s ‘body camera’ program has been mostly rejected. 23 million of what was initially proposed as 75 million (and over 200 million in combination with ‘community outreach’ programs), it seems the local PDs didn’t like the strings that were attached with the accepting funding.

• VegasGuy says:

If they want the Black vote for Hillary they better drum up an indictment before the Election….

To capitalize on these 2 incidents Hillary needs to go full outrage on LEO. The BGI is going to pressure her to do so. Again she will be between a rock & a hard place. They will foist their cause on her shoulders & make it awkward for her if she doesn’t show strong support.

Poor baby. Another distraction for her campaign on an issue she could care less about.

I expect, she too, will be “Deeply Disturbed”, which we again know she already is….

Trump is smiling.

• Jimmy Jack says:

They won’t comment on LA bc they know Alton Sterling was wrong here. Now, MN may be another story.

• 1stgoblyn says:

Has he ever been “deeply disturbed” anytime a police officer was gunned down or attacked when just doing their job?

• Catluver says:

Um, no. It should read, “Obama Deeply Disturbed”. Just 3 words, no other words needed.

• shannynae says:

I would love to see somewhere between five and ten million people show up at the White House and sing Na-Na-Na-Na-Hey-Hey-Goodbye on the 19th of January. We could go in shifts and just keep it up all day. My fantasy for the day. 🙂

11. JunieG says:

In the video, the officer is highly agitated. Is he an over-reacting hot head, or does the video leave out events in this interaction that made him fearful and agitated?

• Sandra says:

There is no video of the shooting or what happened prior to the shooting.

I would expect a cop to be jittery after he has just shot someone, even if completely justified. And especially these days with the BGI latching on like a pit bull to ever single incident of white cop shooting black person. In an instant the cop’s life flashed before his eyes. They all know about St Louis, Baltimore, etc.

12. Jill says:

Watch how fast it happens…no time to think

• bar-revue says:

I fully understand that their job is dangerous. They should realize that too. If they cannot respond properly in very stressful situations then they should find another line of work.

• catluver99 says:

Yep their job is extremely dangerous and that’s why MOST of us won’t do it. And yes, they should find another line of work – they should all quit and let everyone fend for themselves I suppose. The only other suggestion would be iron man suits on every cop.
        It amazes me that we can watch a video of a man shot by a cop and get all upset about it but watch 2 videos in a row and think, well, that’s their job.

13. Elemeno P. says:

I’ll commend the cop for ridding the world of another POS. He should have shot the photographer and gotten rid of the video. And then I will say to the cop: “You are a very stupid asshole and should hide in shame and never ever wear a badge or even think about wearing a badge. And move out of the country because every black mofo will be gunning for you. If you do not, then your are more than stupid, you are suicidal, and that’s also a good thing! Have no sympathy for these cretins.

14. Dennis says:

The system changed from the 1970s to the 2000s. They’re training cops to shoot, but they aren’t training cops that shooting a citizen is the last resort. They’re over-training cops to be aggressive but they’re under-training cops to be peace officers.

I keep having images of the cops in NYC who pressed their knees into a man’s head, ultimately suffocating him to death — all over him selling single cigarettes on the street for 50 cents, all because the city wasn’t getting its tax. Terrible.

• oldiadguy says:

Dennis,

You are getting very close to the target, however, your timeline is wrong. I went into law enforcement in 1970 and was trained that lethal force was the last resort. At least with my agency, that mindset carried on through well into the 2000’s.

I believe that one of the problems is that officers are not being trained in enough types of defensive techniques. Most of the open hand training I’m seeing is based on theory “proven” in a gym and not based on the reality on the street. From my observations, officers today receive very little training in impact weapons, some OC training and some Taser training. All officers receive more firearms training than any other type of defensive training.

Hence, there is not much in the officer’s defensive toolbox. If the only tool you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

Take Care

• Jimmy Jack says:

They should have never taken batons away from cops – that scared people. Criminals, oddly, aren’t afraid of cops w guns. I heard this from a 20+ year veteran NYPD Harlem detective. We have left cops with no way to defend themselves except with deadly force. (And don’t say tasers – not all cops have them plus they don’t stop all people, such as Sterling for example). This change occurred when two other things happened that have impacted policing – the 1965 immigration laws & increased drug use especially starting w the heroin epidemic in the 70s and crack in the 80s. And now we have the BGI encouraging attacks on police. We have left police with no choice but to defend themselves with deadly force or end up in a body bag themselves.

• Dennis says:

I retired from law enforcement, and it sounds like you did as well. I appreciate you response and read it several times. I agree with most of what you said. In the early ’70s, when I entered the profession, we were taught to fire our weapons ONLY to save someone’s life, and that any other use would almost certainly result in termination or prosecution — we were taught that our job was to preserve the peace and keep people safe. In the early 2000s we were taught to use power (we each fired thousands of rounds in training), and we were taught to overpower (“If they bring a knife you pull a gun”, and so on).

In the shooting in question, a person was stopped for a burned out taillight. A burned out taillight. Normally this would just be a reminder to the driver to have it fixed. Based on the accounts I’ve read, the driver was shot FOUR times while reaching for his wallet after stating he was armed and that he had a concealed weapons permit. Regardless how this works out, clearly the profession needs to go back to its basic values.

I can only assume many more will now die as a result of last night’s event in Minnesota. This should NEVER have happened.

• oldiadguy says:

“Regardless how this works out, clearly the profession needs to go back to its basic values.”

I most certainly agree. Yes, I am retired law enforcement, I did 38 years and as my site name implies, I’m an old IAD investigator. Did a little over 13 years in that position.

I’ve been watching these incidents since I retired and I’m seeing more and more indications that the officers that are making these questionable decisions have not received the type of training we received back in the day. The profession definitely needs some changes.

We need to instill the basic values in the new officers.

We are peace officers first.

Lethal force is always the last option.

Give the officers the necessary training so they will have a variety of defense tools to use in any situation.

More stringent testing of law enforcement applicants to ascertain if they have the necessary decision making skills to be a law enforcement officer.

Lastly, back the officers when they are forced to make the tough decisions. Sometimes even when they do their best, it still isn’t good enough.

Take Care

• nancyg22 says:

I don’t care if all you do is jaywalk, if a cop tells you to get on your knees with your hands behind your head then that’s what you do. And if the cops want to arrest you then you let them.

Eric Garner resisted arrest. Had he just submitted that incident would never have happened.

I’ve been arrested, you never argue or try to plead your case to the guy with the badge and the gun, that’s what judges are for.

• Abster says:

Cops are trained differently bc there is a different type of criminal out there now. They are fearless and the laws allow them to continue the catch and release game, each time pushing that envelope. Of course, LE is on edge. Their leaders tell them to stand down and the offenders know it.

15. 180daysofkindergarten says:

I wrote a comment and it disappeared. The gun expert in my house has seen two videos and concluded that the cop was in error. I’m sure that was not a stance taken lightly.
    I have watched none, I started watching the video above and couldn’t handle it.
    I’ve written (disappeared) that what scares me is that the number of cc in this country has skyrocketed. The police can not shoot anyone with a gun. That being said, the BLM people or the BGI has created this nightmare and are using it with glee because it works for them. Sadly, another life has been lost. They don’t give a s**t though, it is working for them.
    Here we go again.

16. fernleygirl says:

Wow. I’m shocked and disappointed by so many of the comments here. Hopefully, some of you will never even get called for jury duty.

• booger71 says:

Why are you shocked. Most of us just are waiting for the facts to come out, and no, you cannot assume what the girlfriend says on a video to be 100% factual. Just go back to what picture the mainstream media put of of Trevon. Hint…it was of him when he was 12, not 19. Did the “eyewitness” accounts the media played over and over of the Michael Brown shooting turn out to be factual?

17. MzMaryMac says:

Unlike many others, I believe that it is imperative to allow the proper authorities to investigate the matter based upon the evidence. Her video doesn’t show the shooting, so for that, they will need to examine ballistics, witness statements, etc… What this video does do is illustrate the state of mind of the parties and I think a proper analysis will help to piece together both sides of the story. I feel that both parties were being honest and truthful in the video. I believe the office when he said he told him not to reach and I believe her that she felt he was just reaching for his ID. I get it. But here are some facts that I believe to be true:
    1.) This man had no known criminal record (minor offenses were reported)
    2.) He possessed a CCP, so he must have been OK
    3.) He had a good job in a supervisory role and worked with children and was well liked
    4.) There is no indication he belonged to a gang or was guilty of any traffic violation other than the broken tail light
    5.) The woman seemed to do everything she was supposed to do and everything I hear people on here say she is supposed to do. Remain calm, keep your hands where they can be seen, be respectful, etc… This woman did everything possible to stay safe and protect her child in what was a tragic and shocking situation. I see nothing in the video that she should be derided for or accusing her of wanting a meal ticket or not caring or loving her boyfriend. Unless we hear more, she is unimpeachable at this point
    6.) Everyone needs to calm down and see where the facts lead us with BOTH investigations. Celebrities calling these cops murderers is not fair. Protesting and marching through the streets is fine, but I don’t like some of what they are saying. But that is their right, as long as they remain peaceful. It’s a free country and they have 1st amendment as do we
    7.) For anyone to pass judgment after watching either videos to me is a knee jerk reaction. There will be a lot of crap coming out of this with further venom being spewed by BLM. We cannot allow them to turn these situations into something they are not. But we also can’t make our own pre-judgments either.
    8.) Let’s keep it classy here. This woman seems to be a loving and caring woman and what her little girl said to her and how she said it will remain with me as a testament that she is a good mom. Her little girl softly comforted her mother saying “Don’t worry, Mommy, I will be right here beside you.” That is love and compassion that she learned from her mother. Of that, I have no doubt.
    9.) I pray for the officers in these situations as well as the families of the deceased. Particularly in this case, you can tell that this officer is also grief stricken that he felt he needed to take the life of this young man. I wish everyone could just show each other more respect all the way around without hateful signs, chants, memes, etc…
    10.) I think we should all agree that especially in this particular situation, this is a terrible tragedy.

• John Galt says:

“2.) He possessed a CCP, so he must have been OK”

Marijuana users can’t legally get a CCP.

“Must not be an unlawful user of any controlled substance as defined in Chapter 152 of Minnesota Statutes.”

• MzMaryMac says:

Sorry – I get your point – but I was referring to the fact that if in fact he was issued a CCP, he must not have had any serious priors on his record.

• Happy go lucky says:

In addition, for both application and renewal, a valid driver’s license is needed (or valid state ID but not clear if that suffices with a revoked driver’s license?). So in the case of a revoked license, the CCP validity is questionable.

“An accurate photocopy of the Applicant’s current driver’s license, state identification card, or the photo page of the Applicant’s passport.” (from the MN application)

• James F says:

4.) There is no indication he belonged to a gang…

Except for Castile posting he was a crip belonging to to the facebook group “crips” and other posts of him flashing crip signs, wearing blue and wishing a “Merry Cripmas and a Happy Blue Year.”

• dizzymissl says:

Go look at her FB page. She’s a pig and so is he

18. Scott says:

If he’s driving, why is he in the passenger seat?

• nancyg22 says:

I was confused at first too because the steering wheel was on the right as was the guy shot. I think the camera is reversed, maybe something to do with the phone recording from the front rather than the back?

• MzMaryMac says:

Every video I have seen on FB live has been in reverse for some reason. I have no idea why.

19. TheVelvetKitten says:

She felt safe reaching for the camera after he got shot?? Or did she have it on during the entire event?

• oldiadguy says:

I suspect that she may have tried to record the whole stop, but it took a few moments to setup her phone. There is a growing segment of society that believes it is necessary to record and document the actions of the police. I’ve visited their sites and have watched their videos. The fact that she sent her video to Facebook (I’m not sure here) shows she has been taught or learned that you can’t just leave the video on your phone.

I don’t have a smart phone so I don’t know how long it would take to get your phone, set up your phone to send the video to another location (Facebook) and start recording. Anyone have any info on who long it would take?

Take Care

20. MouseTheLuckyDog says:

Well now the governor is calling for a DoJ investigation. Seems to be overkill at this point.

• booger71 says:

You are correct, these shooting are not a federal issue.

• Jason says:

Democratic governors calling in the Feds to investigate, and not just the single incident, but the entire department. Sigh… I see in the Louisiana case it’s quite likely he had a gun, and if not, they were warned on the call he likely had a gun and they appear to have thought he had one.

Instead you’ve got people claiming it doesn’t matter if he was armed, he wasn’t pointing it at them. It’s going to be a long summer….

• Remington says:

This will be followed shortly by a DoJ investigation of the assassination of LeVoy Finicum.

• triper57 says:

You really trust the DOJ to investigate anything, really.

• oldiadguy says:

When I was working cases with the FBI, I was told that every time there is a fatal police shooting, the local FBI office would open a case file, usually under the potential violation of the civil rights laws. Normally, the Federal investigation would simply follow the local investigation and since a case file was already open, they could quickly provide technical expertise the local authority may not have. I assume they still follow this procedure.

A Federal investigation is not necessarily a bad thing. Two of my old partners were cleared of allegations that they murdered a subject thanks to an FBI investigation. The FBI investigation into Officer Wilson shooting Michael Brown helped shut down the bogus storyline. It was the DOJ that kept the case open.

Take Care

21. disgustedwithjulison says:

While Falcon Heights is first ring and a generally easy area for policiing, It is north of the Hamline-Midway area (which is a currently gentrifying neighborhood – young couples moving in and fixing up 100 year+ homes), it is also north of the Como/Frogtown area….an area which is a bit rougher and some folks from there may put these cops on edge. The cop probably isn’t Chinese per the woman in the video, but most likely Hmong. Saint Paul has a huge Hmong population and they have assimilated well with the community overall – focused families on education and an excellent work ethic. Current news is a group of the usual folks have gathered at the Governor’s mansion and are demanding to see the body before the autopsy is done (reminds me of Trayvon) and are making a lot of stuff up as they go. Minnesota had the Jamar Clark case recently which had all sorts of BLM protesting and they are referencing that as the system is ‘rigged’….career criminal, beat the crap out of his girlfriend, assaulted EMRs, and then threatened cops with knife….no longer here. The investigation took 60 days and cops were cleared by the County Attorney who laid everything out like the Big Mike case. BLMers used that 60 day investigation to agitate the community. Watch for that to happen here in Falcon Heights. This ain’t goin away soon.

22. Miss America says:

Here come the professional rioters. Every summer, like clockwork.

The racial divides in this country may never be repaired.

• Jason says:

CRS is on the scene at both locations so you are right on point Miss America. I hope the locals are wise to the game being played here and don’t let another city burn out of fear of offending professional agitators/instigators.

• nimrodman says:

“The racial divides in this country may never be repaired.”

That’s intentional, by the way.

23. NJF says:

Sigh. Sad day no matter how this shakes out. I will never believe law enforcement go out on shift with the intent to kill someone. Especially a black man.

This doesn’t need to be a national news story as it happens to white thugs too. Go away BLM.

• 1stgoblyn says:

But yet the dems continue to make sure to include the stories of the black law-breakers who get killed by a white leo in their speeches on the floor. Do they ever show indignation when a white leo is killed by a azzhole thug?

• yadent says:

At this time and point ‘without intent’ is now grounds for certain ‘acts’ committed by privileged government officials and some with extraordinary means to be considered no longer ‘illegal’. As for the use of force against ANY civilian by any government official, it is on the government to justify that force. ALWAYS. If it flips to where the suspect has to justify why force shouldn’t have been used then the last vestiges/illusions of liberty in this country are gone. We are then 3rd world. As for those on this board that maintain that the suspect’s ‘associations’ and prior activities are/were justification or partly so for the tragic results……be very careful with that line of thought/reasoning. The reins of power along with the definition of what constitutes an ‘dangerous extremist’ or ‘terrorist organization’ or even a ‘gang’ in this country can change in the blink of an eye. The justifications for the use of force by government you agree with now may not appeal to you when/if you find yourself on the receiving end. Tight control of government power from the street level to the highest pinnacle is a good thing. The ability to question ANY actions of government and it’s agents has been the bedrock of our form of government. Unfortunately that ability has been in some instances taken but mostly, sadly, voluntarily given up………..just IMHO as a former ‘public servant’.

24. RSPA says:

Another consideration. Why the heck is it even necessary and reasonable to pull someone over for a broken tail light? Take the license plate number and send the owner a notice to repair or fine. No confrontation necessary. The answer is: “excuse for fishing expedition”. Regardless of the details of the interaction there’s no escaping that the interaction and detainment was profoundly unnecessary in the first place.

• John Galt says:

“Why the heck is it even necessary and reasonable to pull someone over for a broken tail light?”

Antiquated concept: Rule of Law

• RSPA says:

If you read my entire argument, I suggest a non confrontational means to enforce that law. An armed confrontation is both stupid and unnecessary to enforce a broken tail light, assuming of course that was the reason for detainment.

• flyanddive says:

This guy gets it.

• catluver99 says:

Since not one of us knows any facts of the shooting or even the traffic stop, how did you ascertain it was for a broken tail light? Because the videographer said so? How do you know the cop, which they normally do before getting out of their car, didn’t run the plates and find out something? I’d sure like to have at least a few facts before jumping to conclusions.

• bar-revue says:

To generate revenue.

• 1stgoblyn says:

We only have the g/f word that that was the reason for the stop. I, for one, will not form any conclusions about this shooting until we have more information.

• Esperanza says:

Could people read the thread? The taillight was not broken. There is a photo of it clearly lit.

• My kids have gotten tickets for it before. Safety.

25. Katherine McCoun says:

Until BLM crowd care about all black lives, I am not listening.
    Care about HUGE numbers of blacks shot by other blacks. In just weekend in Chicago more black lives are lost to black on black crime than the number shot by police over many years.
    Until all BLM care about blacks killed by criminal other blacks then I can’t believe they really care about black lives.
    Until there are none criminal cases of police actually shooting blacks for no reason it’s hard to listen. A criminal is shot resisting arrest or threatening an officer or disobeying orders during an arrest. Drugs are often involved and the criminal is making bad decisions that lead to the officer defending themselves..,and the officer is blamed? Time after time there is an uproar only to find out that the immiduate narrative was false, there were drugs on the site and in their system, witnesses and physical evidence back up the police and it turns out to be the end of another criminals life v. A crazy cop! Tired of working up about suicide by cop.

• Darth Vaper says:

I agree with this sentiment; it seems that there is just too much sensationalism whenever there is a cop shooting or a mass shooting. And yet there is not enough reporting or discussion about the routine death in Chicago and other major cities, or the fact that 60% of gun deaths are suicides!

• Katherine McCoun says:

Wears me out to get worked up and see this stuff take over the news cycle only to find out it was legit action on the police part and that the person was struggling, fighting, threatening or otherwise physically resisting arrest in such a way the officers were concerned for their &/or others safety. There are legit cases to deal with but so much energy, time, money and legitimacy are wasted on cases of police just doing their best to do their job ruins any case they might actually have otherwise.

I know they are cases when their are indeed cases of police criminality and innocents being killed, injured and/or charged and jailed. Their are bad apples in the police departments across the nation. As a non Caucasian family there are places we just won’t live and a couple I don’t want to go at all because the Police are known for being crooked. But I am more concerned about civil forfeiture laws (taking our cash that we might be traveling with, for example). However, we are very supportive of our police and have never had a problem where we live. Very grateful for our police and admire the job that they do – esp when we lived in rough neighborhoods!

I share that to say that, yes, there are issues that need to be dealt with. But this excessive hoopla every time someone is shot before the facts are out and when the person is resisting arrest, and when the protests are aimed at protesting at only one race…so tired of race stuff!!!!!! And there are 100x more lives lost to drugs, gangs, black on black crime. BLM needs to protest in the inner cities against the black on black crime if they really care about black lives!

What about the other BLM (Bureau of Land Management) — many cases of over reach that has resulted in deaths and dispossession of property. Real problems to deal with but this crazy protesting stuff usually just harms the communities in which it happens, harms police/community relations and encourages more bad attitude toward the men trying to protect the community.

26. Remington says:

Tried this twice as a response, but it went into oblivion…one more time…When can we expect a DoJ investigation of the assassination of LeVoy Filicum…Rumour has it that the taupe dope is …”deeply disturbed”…by that event

27. rsanchez1990 says:

He did just as he was supposed to do with a carry license, and they executed him anyway. Why do we need to debate gun control when de facto have the strictest penalty for carrying legally? This is so very troubling.

• John Galt says:

He wasn’t carrying legally. “We had weed.”

• catluver99 says:

You must have been there and witnessed the whole ordeal? “he did just as he was supposed to do…”, how did you arrive at that conclusion? Or are you the cop that shot the guy? Are you even sure he had a carry license? I especially love – “…..and they executed him anyway”.

• maggiemoowho says:

Not troubling at all, word for the wise, if BLM, Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, any of the Congressional Black Carcasses get involved, the case is bogus, a lie or fairytale. The officer did nothing wrong from what I saw.

28. TheVelvetKitten says:

Just for those wondering…you can edit livestream videos. There are youtube tutorials on how to do it.

• Darth Vaper says:

I think this is why we need police officers to be wearing video cams on their badges. Video evidence is the best way they can exonerate themselves from false charges and sensationalism.

29. bamainatlanta says:

I wish everyone, especially the mainstream media, could wait till all the facts are brought out before insinuating anything about race.

30. disgustedwithjulison says:

Here is the info on Castile. Seems like an upstanding guy….

I have a feeling that this is going to end up being a terrible mistake by the police officer. I hope he had a body camera if it wasn’t a mistake.

• kathyca says:

” Seems like an upstanding guy….”

I know from your handle that you were here for Trayvon, so this remark really surprises me. Did we learn nothing? What did you expect to see from the MN school district. “We hired a horrible thug to work with your grade schoolers” Sheesh.

• disgustedwithjulison says:

KathyCA, yes, I was here through all of it. I have seen the BLM playbook time and time again. I don’t like that all the indications of BLM stuff are being played out here: CRS involvement, politicians making snap appeasement decisions (but what can we expect from Dayton), and protests of outrage. Like yesterday, I will wait to see what plays out, but so far things don’t look too good up here in Minnesota.

31. catluver99 says:

No one here knows why the car was pulled over by the cop. No one here knows what was exactly said between the cop and the guy shot. No one here knows why the cop felt he needed to pull his own gun out. No one here has any facts other than a cop shot a guy and he later died. We Can Only Speculate. Throwing out posts that sound like facts do not help and either does criminalizing the cop or the person who was shot.
    I am not about to listen to someone’s narrative about what happened from video recording especially when the woman there announces that her ‘boyfriend’ is dead when he isn’t or the the cop blew her ‘boyfriends’ arm off when it’s clear he didn’t or the fact that this women’s 4 yr old is in the car with all this taking place and she doesn’t seem to care. I’ll wait until there’s at least a few FACTS out there before deciding but I’ll admit, it’s hard to shake off the ‘hands up don’t shoot’ nonsense we got to hear for a full year when none of it was true by a ‘witness’.

• maggiemoowho says:

BLM is involved = cop did nothing wrong. BLM will not get involved in any legitimate case, Truth = empty BLM pockets.

32. thurmrob says:

Just to add my two cents worth. It is extremely easy to start a video on your phone and most SJW people do it automatically when pulled over. Makes me wonder where the beginning of the traffic stop video is. It looks like she only sent the part that fits her narrative.

• maggiemoowho says:

👍👍👍, the MSM will blow it all up to be the cops fault until the truth and real facts come out, then they drop the story and never correct their lies.

33. Alleycats says:

Holy hell, the trolls and ronpaulbots have taken over the tree! Hey Sundance, were you in need of clicks this week? Is Donald Trump winning getting boring?

Murder!! Execute!! Dirty Rotten Cops!! Good grief…
    There is no evidence of the events before or during the actual shooting, only after, and which are the words of someone whose very first thought is “hey pull out a phone and start recording myself giving a very well-rehearsed-sounding monologue”.

For what it’s worth, the idea that police officers are more afraid of concealed weapons permit holders than non, is ludicrous on its face. CCW holders are the most law-abiding of all groups of people. They must demonstrate and document qualified training, show proficiency and safe handling, pass a written test, pay what are in some cases very hefty fees, and successfully complete an FBI background check as well as be fingerprinted (in some states).

I’m willing to bet everything I have that this individual was not in fact, a CCW holder, for someone who obviously flouts the traffic laws to the degree that it appears he has, would likely not go to the considerable time, trouble and expense of obtaining one. Simple application of logic.

It’s funny and tragic that so many automatically hate and condemn the cops.
    Until you need one of course…

34. kallibella says:

Unfortunately, as of now, we don’t have the facts of what went on during the moments the suspect/dead man was stopped, nor do we know the reasons for the traffic stop. We don’t know what was said to the driver or what he replied. We don’t know what he disclosed and what instructions were given to him. We don’t know what he did to provoke the cop to shoot him.
    All we have here in this very raw piece of video is a narration of events after the man was shot and some very chaotic back and forth talk in a video that is only one side of all that went on.

It strikes me as unusual the level of calmness the woman exhibited as she continued to video the moments after the shooting.

She didn’t ask for the cop to call an ambulance; but she kept on taping…

I don’t fault her totally. It is after all a very confusing occurrence and I’m sure she may not have been thinking straight. Some people when nervous talk a lot and can’t compose themselves during the moment of stress/danger.
    But she was very concentrated in taping more than the condition of her little girl or her boyfriend.

Anyway, there is much we don’t know. We have to wait for the formal and official investigation to conclude what the facts were.

• kathyca says:

I just caught a few seconds of her public “speech” on CNN just now. She’s got this thing down pat. And CNN is lapping it up, as usual. They’ve already made her his “fiance.” Sound familiar?

• maggiemoowho says:

Garbage can time💰🗑💲

• VegasGuy says:

Soon to be followed by the 4 YO on camera asking…”Where’s Daddy….?

• James F says:

My boyfriend carries all his information in a thick wallet in his right side back pocket,” Reynolds said. “As he’s reaching for his back pocket wallet he lets the officer know, ‘Officer, I have a firearm on me.’ I begin to yell, ‘But he’s licensed to carry.’ ” According to Reynolds, the officer started firing shortly after.

This statement already contradicts her video testimony and strengthens the officer’s case.

• kathyca says:

I (and a couple of others) posted the first part last night from about 8:20’ish of the video forward, she says he reached while saying he had a gun. So now she says SHE was the one telling the cop he had a permit, not the boyfriend. Wonder why the boyfriend didn’t tell the cop he had a permit. I’m waiting for confirmation that a permit existed and I don’t believe one word out of Lavish/Diamond’s mouth. She’s the MN Dorian Johnson as far as I’m concerned.

• VegasGuy says:

100% agree on that…Like I state a bit down the thread, it certainly appears that the Officer already had him at gun point prior to him making any moves….

• Bill Webb says:

Oh, it might be worse than that. If what you are saying is true, haven’t seen it yet myself, then, she could have set him up to win the ghetto lottery. Notice her coldness, and, as David Allen Coe sang: “She never even called me by my name.” Cold.

• Concerned says:

He’s her finace now? Are you kidding me???? arrrggghhh

• Concerned says:

He’s being described as a “fiance” now?? Are you kidding me??? This is crazy. Right on script. Next up, photo of dude in cap and gown.

35. stobberdobber says:

Hey Sundance, I think it may be time to cut out some of the disease that has sprung up lately starting to infect the Treehouse again. What say you?

• TheLastDemocrat says:

I see no great reason to eliminate these various commenters who have appeared overnight.

They will tail off on their own.

The best that could happen is they carry on, then get hit with facts. There will definitely be info on why this car was pulled over. The officer will have already made a statement that can be reviewed for thruthiness. etc.

If these new commenters are banned, it will simply be fodder for them.

36. maggiemoowho says:

An election is coming up, the BLM terrorists are going to do what they do.

A city will be destroyed as the police are made to watch and tax payers will be paying the bill.

A white chief will be replaced with a black chief and the city will go to sh!t.

Innocent officers lives will be ruined because the MSM want ratings and avoid the truth.

Al Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, the Congressional Black Carcasses and the family will make millions off his death, those shirts, mugs, buttons and key chains are probably already printed and ready for sale.

The family will get millions of tax payers money, well because the guys black(Orlando victims got nothing, the people shot in the church in SC got millions, the San Bernadino victims got nothing, see how that works)

The BLM bums will all be fighting to get the best photo for Time magazine, they are probably planning it out as we speak. Ferguson had the BLM bum tossing a molotov cocktail at the police, while holding his bag of chips(talented, he didn’t spill a single one). Baltimore had the BLM Criminal Bum, riding his little bike wearing a gas mask(probably filled with pot)holding his fist in the air(he was arrested for cutting a fire hose during the burning of CVS, while Freddie Grays best friend robbed the pharmacy of it’s drug supply).

Yada, Yada, Yada.

• maggiemoowho says:

The woman who taped the incident will milk this for all she can. The news just showed her in the street yapping away to a crowd, so much for mourning your loved one, bring out the 💲💰🗑💲garbage cans, there is money to be collected.🤑

• VegasGuy says:

And her “memory” of the incident is slowly migrating….

{SNIP}… “Philando Castile’s grief-stricken girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, claims he was shot five times during a traffic stop in Falcon Heights, a suburb of the Twin Cities”

In her video she said he was shot 4 times…and she was present….now it’s 5 times…Next interview it’ll be the cop emptied his gun….

{SNIP}… “He didn’t have any last words,” Reynolds tearfully recalled Thursday morning, hours after she said police released her and her young daughter, who was also in the car. “His eyes rolled into the back of his head and he was gone instantly.”

Actually, he expired at the hospital…

{SNIP}…“Castile died at the hospital following the incident around 9 p.m. local time Wednesday.”

And we can’t have Oboze pass up his claim to fame can we…

{SNIP}…. “But regardless of the outcome of such investigations, what’s clear is that these fatal shootings are not isolated incidents,” the president said in a statement.

No Mr. Obozo…They are not isolated at all…..Check out Chicago for numerous examples. Guess, try as he may, he could not figure out a way to get a “gun control” message into that statement.

• 1stgoblyn says:

In front of the govenor’s residence on a 10 min rant while her concerned comrades ask her leading questions, “Did anyone offer you comfort?” “What do you want?”

• maggiemoowho says:

Those chants make me want to vomit. She’ll be setting up a merchandise tent by nightfall, gotta make as much money as possible off the dead. Lets look back at some favorites sold:
          The Michael Brown Tie: Looked like Mike Brown was peeking out of the wearers shirt.

The TM skittle costume: Well, this just speaks for itself.

The Freddie Belt: For the paddywagon enthusiast.

• Concerned says:

I will never forget:

• maggiemoowho says:

The TM garbage can tour. About two years ago I watched a video of TM sitting in a basement with a few buddies and a kid about 8 or 9 yrs old. They were enjoying their drugs and high as a kite. The little boy wasn’t, he was just watching and probably learning. It was disgusting. TM’s buddies posted it to social media. Another one of TM’s buddies was shot and paralyzed during a home invasion at his own house, the same kid was arrested with 3 others the day after TM was shot, they were caught while robbing a home. Oh, and Francine Serve, the one who wrote the letter for Rachel Jeantel, she along with her twin and her younger sister were all arrested earlier this year for theft. Nice honest group, wouldn’t you say.

37. Acer says:

The girlfriend is the way she is for one simple reason folks…..once she saw what happened (in addition to probably being high) and turned on that video all she saw was $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in front of her face. Simple as that.

38. @ 0:39 it sounds to me the officer states “I told him not to reach for it, I told him to get his hand off it!”

39. Bootles says:

I’ve gotta make a comment here. There’s something that has been left out of every media article that I think is a huge part of this. It’s good to see a site with others who are questioning this, instead of blindly just bashing the Police. Never been on this site but I think I might have to start. There was an armed robbery at a store, Super USA, 4 days ago that happened a few blocks from there shooting happened. One of the suspects matched this man’s description to a T. Wanna bet that’s why he was stopped with guns drawn?

40. James F says:

The truth is finally slipping out.

Castile did not say he had a gun UNTIL HE WAS ALREADY IN THE PROCESS OF REACHING FOR SOMETHING.

Then Diamond goes starts yelling at the officer, probably incomprehensibly, adding to the confusion and the poor officer had no choice but to fire in self defense from a real percieved threat.

Sounds very chaotic.

• VegasGuy says:

Sounds like the Officer already had him at gunpoint for what ever reason prior to him beginning any movements…Cops don’t pull their weapons on a traffic stop unless their radar gets set off…..or unless the suspect gives them a sufficient reason to do so.

We certainly don’t have ALL the story as yet….

41. maggiemoowho says:

Stock up now, BLM are infesting two cities.

42. MzMaryMac says:

FYI – I just learned that some celebrity started a gofundme for the Louisiana guy’s kids and it’s up to about $350K so far!!! YIKES!!! No words. That said, anyone know what’s going on in Baltimore this week? I thought Trial #4 was supposed to be starting.

• Serpentor says:

Threatening the homeless with gun violence and then refusing police orders at point blank range with a gun in his face has sadly proven the most valuable action he ever took. Maybe now his kids will have some money to buy food, clothing, and shelter. Very sad.

• VegasGuy says:

Rice trial started today…Prosecution dropped “illegal arrest” charge…M.E. screwed up her testimony again, even worse this time…..Expect an acquittal.

• Abster says:

Shame on whomever. What about this cop. Even if he acted within the law, he will probably never serve as officer again. This is the sheet that really divides the nation. These people don’t care about facts or evidence, only color.

43. maggiemoowho says:

I do feel bad for the little girl, no child should ever be put into that situation. If a parent can’t stop doing drugs for their children, then at least leave them with a caregiver who is drug free and where they are safe. Thank God that little girl was not injured or worse.

44. maggiemoowho says:

Philandro Castile’s mother, looks a lot like TrayvonM Witness 8 aka DeDe aka Rachel aka Lavondria C.

45. Niagara Frontier says:

Gov. Mark Dayton looks like something is seriously wrong with him, physically and mentally. In his opening statement he handed BLM the match they were hoping to get. So much for waiting for the investigation to begin, let alone conclude.

• James F says:

He looks and sounds very befuddled.

He thoroughly tainted the case with his prejudicial statement.

• Niagara Frontier says:

I was surprised by the degree of prejudice in his statement. Sure, he can express shock and sadness at the event, that’s a normal human reaction. But this early to point to a racial motive on behalf of the police seemed indecent.

Who knows? Maybe he is aware of specific threats and trying to stave off a riot in his cities.

• janc1955 says:

Politicians need to stop pandering to prevent riots. See Baltimore. The way to quell riots is with no-nonsense warnings and an appropriate show of force.

• quintrillion says:

It will not take long for Fed involvement. Mpls chosen in March 2015 as one of six cities for the new federal police scheme. Also DelRay Mckesson is from Mpls so their are many like him as sjw activists in MSP/St. Paul.

There are no less than five articles on this shooting incident at http://www.kstp.com

• Sentient says:

Yup. That’s our governor. It’s an open secret that he’s heavily medicated for depression & anxiety. He should have lost in 2010 to (Palin-endorsed) Tom Emmer, except that Emmer is a complete troglodyte, so Emmer lost by a mere 10,000 votes – and went on to get elected to Congress, where he’s a supporter of Lyin’ Ryan.

• Niagara Frontier says:

Thanks, that explains a lot. Maybe its best to keep him away from cameras in high pressure events like this. All I think he did today was add fuel to the fire with his speculation. His role was to calm people and ensure a full and fair investigation.

46. gary23902003 says:

Looking at the video, the victim was allowed to bleed out after being shot 4 times, all in the arm. OK. No blood spatter on windows, back seat, ceiling, passenger, ANYwhere. @1:30 after Reynolds is out of the vehicle, the officer to our left seems to be holding a Go-pro or something. The officer doing the talking has long sleeves, so he is not the shooter. Also never saw hair length like his on ANY officer — anywhere. The officer behind him on the sidewalk is holding the daughter (is he the shooter?). He appears to be hiding his face, behind the daughter. When was the daughter removed from the vehicle, why was mom still in the car? The only seemingly real component to all this — the police cars with lights flashing. That’s it. Nothing else. And I can’t get a good enough look to see if THOSE could be staged. Something smells funny about this one.

47. I’m going to chime in here….
    Full discloser, I’ve got a Rap sheet a Mile long of DWLR’s & 2 DWI’s back in the 80’s.. When I was young dumb, living in the country & needed to drive to work..
    The LOCAL & STATE police KNEW Me & pulled me over everytime they got a chance… Or seen Me WITH someone else,,, I was on a personal first name basis with some officer’s.. some let Me go, some,, not so much….
    TWICE, I had weapons in My car, (deer hunting), I had those weapons confiscated.. After those “incidents” I ALWAYS put My hands OUT the window… Because the Officers came with their Weapons drawn..
    Did I have insurance on My car? YES, insured via Family members.. Able to get licensed & tagged… Even though I had no DL’s…
    yes folks, I had a checkered past 25+ years ago…
    Even NOW, I put my hand(s) out the window, My PAST STILL follows Me, even though I’ve NOT committed ANY crimes in over 25 years.. My name/plate is runned… I know better… Weapons are STILL drawn if I happen to even look sideways or cross-eyed…
    it cost Me over 15,000 & 2 lifetime bans from DMV, on getting My DL’s back, legally…
    There’s a saying in the Hood, you get pulled PUT your hands OUT the window to avoid conflict if your innocent…
    I’m thinking the Victim in this case isn’t so innocent….
    My 2 cents of street cred & knowing the Thug Life