A Southern Political Poll released today (full pdf below) conducted for the Augusta Chronicle and Fox5 is exceptionally interesting.  The poll data itself is deep, extensive, succinct and well presented.  Good sample size, low MOE and few assumptions.

The top line results, show remarkable consistency with the previous NBC/WSJ and Maris polls conducted in January.  With the exception of a modest bump for John Kasich, the latest polling shows almost no change – and most of the SC electorate have not only made up their mind, but their decision has been settled for quite a while:

A close review of the poll internals, shows some remarkable and consistent insights when contrast against ground reports, alternate polling and field data.  What many political junkies might find remarkable is the dominance of the Trump coalition.

After reviewing the poll data, the current decisions of the Trump campaign’s approach in South Carolina make VERY good sense.

When you review the poll data take note of what the pollster calls Horse Race #1, and Horse Race #2, the first preference and second preference of the SC electorate.

Only Donald Trump extends well beyond 50% when both first and second choices are combined.  That’s an important factor.

Additionally, the shallow appeal of the Cruz campaign jumps out when you deduct Donald Trump from the race.

south carolina poll Fox5

click image to enlarge

Despite Cruz’s near 20% second place status, if you remove Donald Trump, Marco Rubio is the leading candidate in the race.  Ted Cruz gains little support from Trump’s massive coalition.  This statistical fact affirms all of the previous analytics which warned Cruz’s narrow focus on evangelicals and faith-based voters was self-limiting.

Even more affirmation is noted in Donald Trump actually beating Ted Cruz with staunchly evangelical and moderate evangelical voters.  Trump’s support is actually larger than Cruz within the identified target audience of Ted Cruz’s campaign.  THAT is a remarkable statistic.

Another rather revealing take-away is the scope of Donald Trump’s lead with both men and Women voters.  Trump has double the support of women voters in South Carolina (35%), when compared to second place Cruz (17.2%).  Again, this is more affirmation that a highly attune electorate is able to see through the short-sighted Cruz attacks and view Donald Trump as the leading candidate to actually solve problems.

The only two South Carolina demographics where Donald Trump is not dominating the field are young voters (18-29), where Marco Rubio slightly edges him out – and “very liberal” republicans where John Kasich does best.  However, even when he loses the sub-category, he is the second place candidate.

When you drill down the data to the section where you can remove Donald Trump, you find most of the Trump voting coalition prefers Rubio as the ‘next best’ option, and do not support Ted Cruz.   This is absolute confirmation that Cruz has painted himself into a very narrow corner of the electorate.

The accompanying Fox5 analysis points out some of these aspects but finishes by saying much can change in the next week.   However, that concern angle would seem to be unsupported when you consider the actual polled support is almost identical to January, even before the Iowa and New Hampshire results.

When all factors are considered, it certainly appears South Carolinians have made up their mind. Absent of some unforeseen seismic political shift, things look increasingly optimistic for Donald Trump.

Here’s the full poll data:

trump banner south carolinatrump is coming

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, Jeb Bush, Kasich / NDfA GOPe War, Marco Rubio, media bias, Tea Party, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

445 Responses to Very Solid and Very Interesting South Carolina Poll – Donald Trump 36%, Ted Cruz 19%, Marco Rubio 15%…

1. Fourth of Juluau says:

The Cruzbots at TheRightScoop and RedState were deflecting this poll, saying that “Cruz’s Ground Game is far superior” and that’s why polls don’t matter.

Where was that superior ground game in NH? I remember a bunch of them the day of New Hampshire were saying Cruz’s ground game would have him either beat Trump or barely lose to Trump, then they move the goalposts afterward saying “It’s a liberal state” and “he didn’t even try in New Hampshire”.

Make up your minds, hypocrites.

2. tg159 says:

You know I hear all the time in the MSM about Donald Trump’s ceiling.You never hear about Cruz’s ceiling.

3. Ziiggii says:

News from the North of the boarder; not sure if it constitutes a “tripwire” alert, but none the less this happened last Friday Feb, 5th…
    Federal court strikes down NC congressional district maps

Three federal judges on Friday threw out the congressional voting maps the Republican-led General Assembly drew five years ago, ruling that two districts were gerrymandered along racial lines.

The ruling throws the March 15 primary into chaos, as the judges ordered state lawmakers to redraw the maps within two weeks and not to hold any elections for U.S. House until the maps are in place. A special session of the legislature would have to be called to approve new maps, and they might have to pass federal muster again.

• Gail Combs says:

Thanks for that info Ziiggii. I am in NC

• Ziiggii says:

It’s specifically because of District 1 and 12, but we already knew NC-12 was built for Mel Watt. The fact that they have 2-3 weeks to redraw and resubmit to the Federal Judges is really gonna be hard since we’re 4 weeks away.

Either way, I think games are continuing to happen in NC in regards to the National election.

• NCPatrick says:

Yes, I’m in NC as well Ziiggii and following this closely. If they can’t redraw these districts once again in the very narrow window we have until our primary, I don’t know what will happen. Early voting has already begun.

• I’m anxious to see what this means per Sundance and how it affects the Jeb Map. Is this better for Trump or worse for Trump?

• kenramsey says:

They did the exact same thing in Virginia, only worse! The federal judges redrew the map themselves. It might cost us David Brat, the guy who unseated Eric Cantor (this is what defeated the Gang of Eight bill). Looks like we are stuck with that federal judge map for November. It’s utterly outrageous, and also highly, highy un-Constitutional!

4. Not only is the Conservative Tree House a more amiable and more honest place than Ace of Spades HQ, there is none of the pretension, chickenhawk neo con fakery and general wannabe childish faux badassery.

CTH keeps it real.

But best of all, unlike the increasingly delusional Scott Adams who is looking more and more like he just jumped on the bandwagon and lucked out, CTH has provided YEARS of accurate analysis AND predictions, and earned trust as a real player in this election.

And all by being honest.

A revoluionary act in times of universal deceit.

The question is, if Trump has SC stolen from him, what next? Is there a la dame misere guaranteed overkill victory out there for him that it is impossible for them to steal? If not I assume he will just grind towards victory 1944 style.

• Toronto Tonto says:

I have seen downright racist stuff on Ace, and I know he has tried to clean it up. But these people are contributing bloggers and mods on some right wing sites. I have a lot of respect for law enforcement, but the threads where a black person has been mistreated by a police officer using poor judgment seems to bring out an ugly undercurrent of racism. I’m talking about conflating protesters and looters, stereotypes about black women being loose and therefore bad mothers and the fathers all being criminals, the kids having deserved it, etc.

I just don’t think that direction of the conversation is helpful. I also don’t like how they sexually degrade women there. I’ve seen a lot of women commenters come and go there. Fewer women contribute to the blog.

They say Ace barely bothers with the blog anymore, because he’s on Twitter more. But all these bloggers cross reference each other to drive up traffic, and this leaves them susceptible to hive mentality. I feel like The Treehouse is doing more researched blogging as an alternative news site when most people have given up on that dream figuring there’s no money in it.

• Ace of Spades HQ is a low rent shill site and it is deep into GOPe cuckery. It is basically a gutter where cucks go to kiss each other’s coward butt hurt better.

CTH is THE place to be. It’s the home of true conservative values, be they gay straight black white green brindled buhouse crazy UFO abductee or just “plain” American.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

• optingout says:

Your “concerns” strangely resemble classic SJW entryism. Alternative news and opinion isn’t only that which makes you feel good. That said, I despise Ace BECAUSE he’s banned plenty of people (including me) who maintain White Americans have legitimate group interests. I don’t recall any discussions of free speech in the Federalist and Anti-Federalist papers which require that it be “nice” or “stereotype free.”

• Toronto Tonto says:

I’m not concern trolling. I would like to see the Republican Party become more welcoming to minorities. I don’t confuse illegal immigrants with Hispanics. I think Islam needs its reformation. There is room for improvement in the black community, too. But they are not solely to blame for their problems. Our government is dysfunctional on many levels, and it affects everybody of each race.

• White Americans have legitimate group interests.
          Absolutely true!!!!!!!!!!!

• Absolutely agree. The snark and pretentiousness and inverse snobbism at Ace of Spades is too much.

5. Patrick P says:

New Mass poll out.

Donald Trump – 43%
    Marco Rubio – 12%
    Ted Cruz – 10%
    John Kasich – 9%
    Jeb Bush – 8%
    Ben Carson – 6%
    Chris Christie – 3%
    Carly Fiorina – 2%
    Other – 0%
    Undecided – 7%

• Fourth of Juluau says:

This is why Cruz has no path. He can’t win in any state where he doesn’t market himself as a Sunday School teacher.

• Patrick P says:

Another South Carolina Poll from

Out of 1200+ SC statewide likely Republican voters

February 11th -12th

Bush 13%
        Carson 5%
        Cruz 15.5%
        Kasich 8.5%
        Rubio 12.5%
        Trump 34.5%
        Undecided 11%

This supports the first poll. A couple of more showing the same type of result should be indicative of where SC stands.

• stringy theory says:

Ted’s theme song, “Onward Cruztian Soldiers,” doesn’t play well as the preacher and his flock are learning. The audience that appreciates it is small and dwindling.

• Benson II says:

Cruz came out today saying he doesn’t want to be preacher in chief. He got the word but it’s to little to late. Add that to his other woes.

• Cruz had to sell himself as Jimmy Swaggart to win Iowa.. he is finding out nobody else in the country wants any part of that. He is the Mike Huckabee of 2016.

• Nottakingthisanymore says:

No he is not Mike Huckabee is true to his beliefs and stands by his principals. No he would not be a good President but he is a good man. Please do not denigrate him in such a way as to compare him to Cruz.

• kenramsey says:

I think it fell so flat. Just the other day Heidi Cruz was out there saying how Ted was going to show America the Face of God. Wow was that over the top. Combined with his talk about putting on the Armor of God and Awakening the Body of Christ, the whole effect was to cement and pigeonhole Ted as the “godly candidate”. But then in Iowa, where he was pitching the Preacher Ted role so hard, he goes off and plays dirty pool with Ben Carson. That was just amazing.

I’m a religious guy who does come from an evangelical Southern Baptist upbringing, so I’m amenable to candidates who espouse Christian values and quite attracted to them. I am in the very demographic that Cruz is targeting. He doesn’t seem to realize that it’s a double-edged sword, though. Lots of us are very leery of people who would wrap themselves in the mantle of Christ, many have been burned before. Many are not very comfortable with public displays of piety and self-righteous claims. To many St. Francis Assisi’s dictum is best: “Preach the Gospel everywhere. When necessary, use words.”

• helix35 says:

The creepy Sunday School teacher.

• Crassus says:

Trump will do some serious plow cleaning in GOP primaries that are held in blue states. It’s hard to see Teddy Ballgame or any of the others gaining any traction at all in those states.

• petszmom says:

isn’t Massachusetts a blue state?

6. bullnuke says:

Lot’s of folks I’ve talked to here laughed at first when he ran but now see things differently. Not a single one, once they decide on Trump, will change their minds. Looking forward to primary day next weekend.

• MichelleWSC2 says:

I will say, honestly, when I first head Trump was running, my first thought was he was doing it so no one could say, “here we go again with Trump wanting to run for POTUS but never will”, and kind of dismissed the whole thing. However, when he actually announced and came out of the gate swinging I jumped on the Trump train and haven’t looked back – and won’t support anyone but Trump!

• MichelleWSC2 says:

that should be heard not “head” LOL

• H Hutto says:

Same here, good buddy. When I started listening to Trump instead of what others said of Trump, it clicked for me too. Trump and ONLY TRUMP 2016!!

• kenramsey says:

I was supporting Cruz before Trump got in with #BUILDWALL. With the wall, and on Muslims and terrorism, and Obamatrade/NAFTA, and now Mexican cartels, Trump has been saying what any one of them could have and should have. All that stuff is right there on the table out in the open, but they won’t touch it. They can’t, either because they are beholden to contrary ways or they can’t muster the courage for controversy. Trump is the only guy who has emerged with the gumption to put this stuff front and center, I saw that immediately with #BUILDWALL . I went over to Trump and never looked back.

• My mom called me sooooo excited that Trump decided to run before I’d heard about it and I’m pretty plugged in to politics. Anyway, she is an ultra conservative minister’s wife who actively worked to get Cruz into the senate. I thought she had lost her marbles. I quickly realized she was on to something and I hopped on board the Trump train, too. I will be proudly casting my vote on Tuesday in Texas for Trump!🙂

• Toronto Tonto says:

My mother voted for Perot and is an evangelical Christian in OH who works in healthcare and green energy. (She and my stepfather just sold the company they founded, and she’s selling solar panels now.) She voted for Obama, and I was surprised that she supports Trump. It seems she goes for change candidates, and she is nonpartisan.

• mysticrose80 says:

Prior to his run, I honestly didn’t even like Trump. Period. Yeah, I kinda dug it when he went after Obama’s birth certificate, but I still didn’t like him. I thought of him as just an annoying braggart who just couldn’t shut up. This election, however, has really allowed me to see the real Trump…..and how multi-faceted he truly is. Sure, there’s that pitbull side (which I’ve come to like), but I’ve also seen the passionate side, the bold side, and the humble side. If you’d have told me a couple of years ago that I would end up liking Trump, much less supporting his candidacy, I would have called you nuts!

7. ZZZ says:

This is why Trump is winning nearly across the whole demographic board:

Problem – Shame-Based-Narrative (especially in the schools):
    The shame-based narrative essentially peddles a one-sided distortion of American history that claims the United States sucks (and so do you—unless you are fortunate enough to be a member of one of the many “trodden-upon” minorities). It is a narrative fabricated from a poisonous melange of lopsided anecdotes, cherry picked half-truths, and lies. It is an unremittingly negative portrait of the USA, where America’s mitigating circumstances, laudable efforts, and positive accomplishments are ridiculed, minimized, or ignored.

Solution – REALITY ala Trump:
    Trump tells us that America has greatness in it which needs to be set free; that “we the people” have greatness in us that needs to be set free. And we respond with “Yeah…you’re right. Yes, dammit you’re right!”

His love for the United States is obvious, deep-seated, and true. I believe that he will create jobs and employment opportunities like we’ve never seen before. He can schmooze and finesse when needed, and knock heads when heads need knocking (to be adroit at both talents is somewhat rare in my experience). His courage is undeniable, his work ethic impeccable, and his moral compass strong and steadfast. Honestly, I don’t much care where Trump falls on the “Conservo-meter”—just keep kicking political correctness to the curb and speaking truth.

He calls out to “we the people,” urging us to be true to “the better angels of our nature.” To have faith and hope. To believe, believe that America will be great again—better than ever in fact. That it can fulfill its intended role of being “a shining city upon a hill”—a beacon of freedom, hope, and opportunity in a largely benighted world.

And “we the people” have responded—to the disbelief and chagrin of the elites. We tell them: “We love America, we think it is great, and you can take your global utopia and shove it where the sun don’t shine!” God bless America!

8. JoeS says:

Thanks Sundance for the internals. I had a quick look at this earlier and found great relief that, again, Bill Kristol released a lot of nonsense yesterday when he “leaked” an internal poll. What a sleaze Kristol is!

Also, gee, what a surprise that Trump doubles the stiff Cruz support amongst women! Who would have thought-right-haha! This is the guy that all the girls giggled about when they saw him in high school (probably college with him too) when they walked by.

Now the wallflower is going around and “drafting” Trump saying that he has assembled the “Regan coalition.” Imagine the hutzpah to say something like that! Like, oh sure, the blue collar guy really identifies with him! The Reagan coalition was in LA last night at Trump’s rally!

The only coalition that Cruz has assembled is a coalition of brow beaten evangelicals who have been coerced to trust him or who lack discernment.

The Reagan coalition has a meeting in Tampa tonight!

GO TRUMP!

• Fourth of Juluau says:

I am an evangelical, I support Trump because for years we have had supposed social conservative evangelical candidates run for office bleating about how they will stop gay marriage, and overturn Roe vs. Wade, and defund Planned Parenthood.

So what have we gotten for voting for these guys? Nationwide gay marriage, even easier access to abortion, and Planned Parenthood is still funded.

After all these years, it’s time for a different approach. It’s clear that the supposed evangelical candidates are not doing anything they promise.

• JoeS says:

Yes, thank you!

I am evangelical too, and I am not liking what I am seeing amongst my supposed brethren. I see a terrible religious spirit!

I see a whole lot of people who feel they speak for God, and REALLY are just speaking from their own heart. What is coming out is VERY REVEALING!

Who appointed Glenn Beck, who, I guess, is a Mormon, the arbiter of who is a Christian and who is not. What Pastor would let that stand in their church? Unfortunately, a lot of them!

• SharonKinDC says:

Let’s also clarify Dominionists are a small slice of the Evangelical demo. I was raised in a Lutheran Evangelical church. Never considered myself an Evangelical and my church wasn’t ‘evangelical’ in the ways that the robust evangelical churches are. Frankly, it was more liturgical Lutheranism. AND we had Bach played every week by the organist!

• JoeS says:

I was raised Catholic and tend to be very free flowing Charismatic/Pentecostal. I am not much for labels. I have nothing against other denominations, as long as the main tenants of Christianity are in place: sin is in the world, man is separated from God. Jesus came to reunite man to God for FREE to those who truly believe and are born again, and he replaced the law (very basics). The Gospel and the books of the New T are the words of God.

Now, there is a lot of speculation about a lot of things. I know that this is not the forum, but if it were, we could fill the internet with the rest.

• JSBachLover says:

Nothing wrong with that! Bach himself was a seriously devout Christian besides being THE seminal figure in the history of Western Classical music; not to mention in Lutheranism. I’d definitely call myself evangelical. And (among other things) I’m the music director in a Lutheran church, so I’m also “liturgical.” I know most people equate evangelical with so-called “low church”/non-liturgical worship. That’s only partly true. Evangelical has more to do with theology, how you view Scripture, etc.

• JSBachLover says:

I was replying to SharonKinDC. Sorry, JoeS. Totally agree with your take on the basics of Christianity, BTW. What C.S. Lewis calls “mere Christianity.”

• kenramsey says:

J.S. Bach’s music is “food for the soul”, as my cello teacher used to say. Bach’s Six Suites for the Unaccompanied Cello are a serious cellist’s daily prayers.

• parteagirl says:

God uses good men.
          Evil men use God.

• There is much more than just a religious spirit going on around the Cruz campaign. I see a far darker and sinister spirit around the Cruz campaign, and even black arts around Glenn Beck, he never closed the open doors from years of drug abuse and current drug use. A lot of hate coming from them. –Deliverance worker 8 years.

• benY says:

TV evangelism, not ALL but many, has become a business as convoluted as politics and is about the $$. Millionaire pastors was unheard of in my day.

• Lulu says:

Exactly, they wouldn’t even defund Planned Parenthood — the truth is most of the GOP politicians say they are pro-life to get elected – a further truth is they don’t want to end abortion because it gets them votes.

• Prothonotary Warbler says:

And it’s not only because elected Republicans are actually pro-abortion (that is definitely part of it, though); I think there’s also a financial motive in play.

In the process of performing over a million abortions every year, Planned Parenthood goes through a lot of medical supplies. I’m sure the big businesses that provide these supplies are spreading a lot of money around on Capitol Hill to keep that gravy train running for them.

• New Vulgarian says:

Yes, yes, yes! You have stated it perfectly. They have either been ineffectual or liars – or both.

• cruz will do to evangelical voters what that middled aged guy with the perm did to Amy Lindsay.

Only harder.

• lmg says:

” is going around and “drafting” Trump ”

Problem is, he’s trying to “draft” behind a car that’s two or three laps ahead of him.🙂

• “Trump doubles the stiff Cruz support amongst women!”

phrasing…

especially since the Amy Lindsay cruz advert, or as CNN memorably called it onscreen “porn actress cuz ad”

say cuz the way you’d say cruz and the joke becomes clear.

sure it was accidental by CNN, no doubt.

• Both men and women in this country want a real man to be President. It’s no accident that the Alpha male runs the pride.

9. Is SC an open or closed primary?

10. sundance says:

11. NHVoter says:

This is an excellent poll.

I hope Trump destroys Cruz tomorrow. Cruz and his supremacist ideology where he embraces anti Semites like Mike Bickle is downright dangerous. He needs to be fully exposed and destroyed.

• John Galt says:

“NY Values” which “focus on money and media” is also Cruz code for let’s hate Jews. He could get Jesse Jackson for VP and try for a “Hymie Town” coalition.

12. Sentient says:

I’ll try to figure this out on my own (probably unsuccessfully), but what happens to Trump’s support if you pull Cruz out of the mix? Isn’t that the most crucial issue – if Trump can quickly push Cruz to the curb, will Trump be able to get enough votes from former Cruz supporters where Trump has a shot at 1,236 delegates?

• Pete V says:

“if Trump can quickly push Cruz to the curb…”

I think that’s a big “if” because Cruz has a lot of money and a core of very loyal supporters.
      Fastest way would be to turn the race into Trump vs a candidate who is openly establishment (Jeb or Rubio), thus sidelining Cruz. Or sue him and win. That’s possible if Trump manages to get the best law experts, like Cruz’s own Harvard prof who says he’s not natural born. (If Cruz can run for POTUS, so can the Prince of Monaco – just saying.)

• Sentient says:

I know. A crushing defeat in SC and Nevada might do it, but Texas is on March 1 and Cruz could do well there and, I fear, elsewhere in the SEC,

• stringy theory says:

Naw, Cruz had been outed in his native Texas. I expect those few that voted for him in the Senate race won’t like it that Teddy and his wife lied to them about the loans. I can’t see anything in the SEC states that would not bode well for Trump. Relax and enjoy the show.

• Nottakingthisanymore says:

Look at the Polls in those states the SEC is owned by Trump. In fact He owns Georgia so much I feel that the Bulldogs can beat the Gators this year at the end of October. Allowing me to party all the way to Election Day and beyond!!

• George W. Bush hates Ted Cruz. Would he really let Cruz win his beloved state?

• Nottakingthisanymore says:

Cruz Trump
          KTVT-CBS 11 1/25 – 1/26 1001 LV 30 25 Cruz +5
          CBS News/YouGov 1/18 – 1/21 984 LV 45 30 Cruz +15
          UT/Texas Tribune 10/30 – 11/8 542 RV 27 27 Tie

Trump rising and let more wins come his way see where Texas will be

• brcajun says:

Winner take all and latest poll have Trump ahead. Even his own folks have issues with Cruz.

• tz says:

Jeb had lots of money – do did/does Hillary.
        The core is only single digits.
        The money only works if you can translate it to votes. Cruz has bet his database on steroids and dirty trickster Jeff Roe can do that, but it has its limits.
        You can only steal Carson’s votes at a caucus.
        The scary stuff and negative campaigning won’t necessarily make people switch to Cruz.
        The “I am the anointed of God and he will strike you dead if you don’t vote for me” doesn’t play well outside of crazynsanity..

For evangelicals, compare the very decent Ben Carson with the slick snake Cruz. Who deserves your vote (if you don’t like Trump) – the one who is depending on God and is conducting his campaign on the high ground, or Mr. trust in databases and dirty tricks?

You are also correct that it would be different if Jeb, Rubio, and Kasich was reduced to one.

• True. And for this reason Cruz folks are LIVID that Carson is still in the race. They thought they killed him in Iowa but Carson is fighting strong. Religious people will go for Carson rather than Cruz. Cruz is a fringe evangelical and a spoiler. He might have done well had Carson left the race. Unfortunately for Snake-handling carny Cruz, Carson is going to get a lot of the religious folks who are not of the same ilk as Cruz but would plug their nose to vote for him if Carson was out of the race.

Carson has said he is not leaving the race. As long as Carson remains in the race, Cruz’ religious folk votes are shaved.

• cruz is another goldman sachs candidate. he won’t quit -ever- until goldman sachs games out a different path to the white house through one of the other non-Trump puppets.

Disgusting special interest candidates wall to wall other than Trump.

13. burnett044 says:

poor confused Ted..

14. NHVoter says:

This is really disappointing.

• Martin says:

These people are nothing but frauds.

• Sentient says:

Chris Kyle certainly was – hagiographic biofilm notwithstanding.

• Maxine says:

That’s not very nice. Perhaps they are a bit naive when it comes to all things “political”, but I wouldn’t hold it against them (except Perry, of course). I’m sorry, but I didn’t serve in the military so I don’t bare any emotional or physical scars of war so I will never criticize those that do. I saw how our Nam vets were treated, so am a tad bit sensitive to disparaging, disrespectful remarks against our military. Sorry, just my opinion.

• Martin says:

I’m not ripping them on their service to our country. Too bad they don’t see that Trump is the one who will have their back first and foremost.

• Maxine says:

It is very disappointing to see. Taya, Dakota and Marcus don’t realize they are being USED because of their name recognition. Perhaps those who post here who are on Twitter could engage in courteous dialog and change their minds. Asking questions as to “why they support Cruz”? Or “Why are they against Trump? That opens opportunities to point out Cruz’s lies and why he cannot be trusted. Just a thought. As they see how Trump loves our military and supports our vets, I think their minds can be changed. Shame on Perry for using them for political purposes. If they are doing it to gain more limelight for themselves, shame on them as well as it only diminishes their character, in my mind.

• Martin says:

They also don’t see that Trump sacrificed the last FNC debate so he could help raise almost $7 million for our wonderful wounded veterans.

• Maxine says:

All of us posting here know what Mr. Trump did that day, and many days in the past. That is why I really hope those on Twitter will reach out to them, inform them as to who really is on the side of our vets. I bet their minds could be changed that Trump and only Trump will help our active military and our vets.

• benY says:

They support Cruz because of Beck. Beck had them on his show and highlighted them like it was his job.

• brcajun says:

Maxine, you are hearing from a viet vet. We returned home with no thank you until the vet event during a debate when an afgan vet thanked us. That now means more than all the riches in this world. We had all those mental issues back then with no support. Many vets were homeless, others adicted to drugs, and others abusive to family, and some of this group commiting suicide or murder. We made a vow to GOD to protect and defend this great nation for the duration of our lifetime. That is something those who have not served do not know about. We are true to our country and it’s principles! That is why the gov, wants those clips reduced, less ammo, and more restrictions on weapons (you folks call them guns). We will make their life miserable if they even try to take away our countrys principles. There are alot of vets in this nation and we will defend to protect our country. As far as Chris Kyle, I can never be anything compared with that vet! There is no need to thank us viet vets, that has been done by the Afgan vet which means more than all the treasures of earth. BTW, I stepped off the airport in San Francisco and was greated ouside with a jar of urine thrown and called baby killers. Today those same freaks taught our kids, became highups in business, and were never arrested for what they were doing to us. GOD forgives them, I forgive them, but I will never ever forget. Sorry about the long post but wanted Maxine to understand the full scope of a veteran until our last breath! GOD BLESS AMERICA! and it’s PEOPLE!

• SharonKinDC says:

TY for your heartfelt post. What a horror that war was.

I’d add: ‘Nam Vets who made it home, and didn’t retreat into alcohol/drug addiction, if still in decent physical shape, are STILL tough bad-asses. These tough, hardened men, who in general, have a very good BS detector, have been smelling crap from politicians for decades. My gut says the majority of them back Trump.

I also think that DHS, et al, has this group in mind, in particular, with a lot of their proposals. Get those old tough b-tards unarmed is the goal.

• GracieD says:

All three of them are good people who have a different opinion than most of us here. They are not frauds.

• brcajun says:

That is why (we) the vets are fully (or for the most) onboard with Mr. Trump. We realize a genuine person when we see one! He will make right what has been wrong since the vietnam war on. BTW, I served from 69′ to 71′. I saw HaiteAshbury, disgusting place, disglusting people and that is the place were some of the very best people graduated collages and moved into private or public sectors with that type of idealogy. Disgusting but freedom has its bounds and they had their rights!

• singtune says:

So is Establishment Rick Perry~!

• MichelleWSC2 says:

I guess Rick Perry never got over the “smart glasses” response by Trump – tho it was a very accurate assessment LOL The glasses don’t make ya smarter Rick

• georgiafl says:

Perry attacked Trump first – calling him a cancer in the political arena.
        Remember McCain also attacked firs – calling Trump and his supporters names like crazies and whacko birds.

• Prothonotary Warbler says:

Oh, he didn’t just call Trump a cancer… he called “Trumpism” a cancer… in other words, Trump AND his supporters.

People like us. We’re the cancer, apparently. I guess Perry is the leech that a medieval doctor might use to try to cure it, then?

• JoeS says:

Just don’t ask him THREE (hint:the debate) reasons why he supports Cruz!

• shiloh1973 says:

Perry is a fellow dominionist and was supposed to be the chosen one in 2012.

• Artist says:

oh no wonder!
        Being Jewish, I had never heard of Seven Mountains Dominionist theology before Ted Cruz. Seems, from my research on the internet that it is viewed HIGHLY suspiciously by more mainstream Christians, as a cult, kind of a Multilevel Marketing Christian scam to attain world dominion BEFORE the return of Christ and was dreamnt up by a couple from Toronto in 1975…..and that its members are arrogant and nasty.
        Sounds like hocus pocus to me, not something I want the Leader of the Free World involved in.

• shiloh1973 says:

No kidding. The more you read the scarier it gets. There are a whole lot of politicians and very rich people involved. Here are the two biggest contributors to Cruz.

• politijim says:

Ok chill out everyone. God told Adam in Genesis to “take dominion” over the earth, the fish etc. Two very kind, giving men just put a name to something that has common theology in the bible. Dr. Bill Bright was a millionaire, and gave away all of his money (including selling his home) to start Campus Crusade for Christ. I personally know dozens of people who were impacted by this ministry, and had the good fortune of knowing both bill and his wife Vonnette – who started the National Day of Prayer. (7 Mtns below). The last time I saw Bill before he died, he and Vonnette lived in a small 1000 sf apartment – comfortable, but not tied to worldly goods. (By the way – I’m not one of those that think you have to be poor to be good. It’s really hard to help people if you yourself have no money).

Jesus himself said we were to “rule with Him” …but some Christians forget that he said His Kingdom was “not of this world”. However, would you rather someone with no morals and all greed be running a company in finance, Hollywood, education or someone who values love, joy, peace, selflessness, truthfulness, etc?

I’ve been part of quite a few “movements” in my 30 years a Christian. Most start with very sincere people trying to honor God. But just like every bible character from Moses to King David – they – as fallible humans – fail. ALL OF US DO. That doesn’t mean that some (or even all) of their original belief was bad.

n 1975, Bill Bright, founder of Campus Crusade, and Loren Cunningham, founder of Youth With a Mission, had lunch together in Colorado. God simultaneously gave each of these change agents a message to give to the other. During that same time frame Francis Schaeffer was given a similar message. That message was that if we are to impact any nation for Jesus Christ, then we would have to affect the seven spheres, or mountains of society that are the pillars of any society.

These seven mountains are business, government, media, arts and entertainment, education, the family and religion.

There are wack jobs in every belief system from Libertarians, to agnostics, to vegetarians to medical doctors. Let’s not go about acting like feeble minded pitch fork commoners here trashing people by loose associations, ok?

• JoeS says:

I guess he is hoping for a pardon if Cruz gets elected. He would have better odds with Trump, though.

Trump probably turned down the endorsement.

• Pete V says:

More evidence that Cruz is GOP establishment.

• stringy theory says:

I suppose Perry is even more stupid than I thought and he keeps proving it. Trump’s support is overwhelming and rock solid. Nothing the liar Cruz can do to change things there in SC or beyond.

• Michelle says:

Cruz’s M.O. (from the beginning) has been simply to copy Trump (such as this attempt) and repeat what he says. Plus the religious factor when he feels he can brainwash people with it. That’s why the next step has been to lie and say that Trump says the opposite of everything Trump has been saying, to distract people from his stolen ideas.

• We’re going to see the kitchen sink thrown at Trump. They will try to set him up, they will try to hurt him anyway they can.

The stakes are unbelievably high. Trump might be the bravest man we have ever seen.

• sahm2016 says:

Marcus Luttrell and Glenn Beck are good friends. Luttrell was on Beck’s show from time to time when I listened, although it’s been years. Beck even attended Luttrell’s wedding.

Luttrell and Perry are friends too.

Also remember that Bristol Palin and Dakota Meyer were engaged and at the last minute the wedding was called off. The rumor was that Meyer was previously married but never divorced. He is the father of Bristol’s second child.

So none of these endorsements are based selecting the best candidate for our Military and Vets. There are personal motivations involved.

• bnjohanson says:

Keep in mind also, that some, not all, but some of this is Perry’s and other Texan’s angst against Bush; his support of Cruz represents a sharp stick in the eye of the Bush Family. Granted, there is no doubt that Perry has turned to the dark side in terms of personal disdain for Trump, but make no mistake….a lot of his motivation is based upon local politics here in Texas and support for TED is a major insult against all things BUSH.

• WoW! Yes you’re right. The Bushes really can’t stand Cruz. I remember that meeting they had George W. Bush said he hated Cruz and they were plotting how to take him out. That was when everyone still thought Trump was a joke and that Cruz was the main focus of their hatred. Perry is planning to help Cruz for Texas I imagine.

I think the Bushes will not allow Cruz to take Texas, that was George W’s state.

• politijim says:

I live in Texas, I have very close friends who know Gov Perry. He doesn’t work that way. He, like many other good intended religious people have been brainwashed by the Cruz religious smokescreen – that’s all.

Perry is a good man. I don’t think he’s the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree – but let’s not make conclusions simply because people make a different decision than us.

• troposphr says:

Wonder how much Mercer $$$ is changing hands here.

Those vets/vet families will be set up nice I bet.

15. It is still too close for me. Donald was up to 6 points in the final Iowa poll and somehow lost. Look, Rick Perry is for Cruz, the elites are for Cruz, all these talk-show sellouts are for Cruz, Cruz was for TPP, he is a globalist, he is the enemy. Why can’t you Cruzbots get it? What is it with this cult-like Cruz can walk on water behavior?

Look at Glenn Beck, he always promotes people who can’t win and tries to destroy those who can. Look at Rush Limbaugh? Thinks Rubio is a solid conservative. Look at Mark Levin? Fails to disclose a close person in his family is working for Cruz. Look at Laura Ingraham? They are all supporting Cruz? Why? Why their talking points sound similar every day, like they borrow each other’s notes?

Cruz IS the enemy. The most dangerous enemy in this race because people think he is the savior. He will stab you in the back. At least, with Rubio and Bush, we know were they stand (pro amnesty, pro common core, …). Cruz is marketing himself as someone he is not.

• Martin says:

He somehow lost because Cruz cheated even though Trump didn’t have a strong ground game in Iowa.

• jedimastertrump says:

Trumps ground game in iowa was anemic.

Without the Cruz Voter Fraud Trump would have won Even Iowa.

That’s what you call a movement.

I hope Trump CRUSHES cruz in South Carolina.

• Toronto Tonto says:

I think Trump had a good ground game in Iowa. Chuck Laudner got him huge turnout, and as much as Trump tried to keep expectations low and not give too much away, I knew when I heard they expected as many as 170k and in that case a Trump win, then there would be cheating.

Cruz said he would copy Obama’s ground game. Sure, there’s data collecting. There was also busing people in from out of state. That was “Camp Cruz” and supposedly motivated evangelicals. Add to that Microsoft’s help for Rubio. I think they wanted Trump to place third and push the two-man race between the ineligible Cubans. No amount of ground game prepares you for massive cheating.

• politijim says:

Ground game – to most people – means an organizations of volunteers to knock on doors, drive buses and work polling locations. Trump’s camp – by their own admission – didn’t put much effort into Iowa that way but relied upon his media exposure and Sarah Palin’s network. This is why in his NH victory speech he had effusive praise for the new comers who put together their “ground game” in less than a week.

Don’t sell Cruz short. I was part of his “ground game” here in Texas. He is so confident in his poll numbers here that he has flown hundreds out to SC last week to continue to build their volunteer base. Over 10,000 already working for him in SC I’m told.

But a ground game only works on this without a deep conviction for one candidate or another. Cruz’s low polling numbers and Trump’s very high “definites” hopefully mean that he will have a tougher time finding people to support hiim…

But I agree with Trump. If he wins convincingly – 35% or better in my book – this race could be close to over…

• I don’t disagree, but you can’t just ignore that. Cruz has exposed himself. He and Rubio have nowhere to go. They are going to go for broke before bowing out. He now has Glenn Beck saying that Trump is a fake Christian. Rush all but endorsed him on radio. That stupid SuperPac of his keeps playing Rush Limbaugh’s “endorsement” on the radio. I wouldn’t be surprised if Levin gets off his butt to try to do more than he has to hurt Trump.

I prefer victories like NH, and we should also get more active. We should stop these talking heads from bundling Cruz and Trump together. No, Cruz is not on the same page as Trump. He was not the one talking about jobs and manufactures moving jobs to Mexico but these talking heads pretend he and Trump brought it up together. It’s disgusting

• Martin says:

You won’t get any disagreement from me on your point.

• I wish Trump did more to expose Cruz’s supporters. All these organizations and superpacs pushing for open borders and saying Trump is not conservative because he didn’t contribute. Give me a break Ted. So these people are funding your campaign just because they love you or do they want open borders?

I think Trump is more focused on putting Rubio against Bush because he knows he can knock out Cruz easily.

• Toronto Tonto says:

Now that Rubio’s 321 strategy is busted, he and Trump have a common enemy, and that is Cruz. It’s obvious to all but the drunkest on the koolaid that Cruz is running for Jeb’s VP.
              That means Rubio with Carson are allies right now, because if it goes to convention, Jeb is the nominee.

• Jeb simply can’t be the nominee. I mean it’s just too much. The guy is pathetic. He seems like he doesn’t even want to be running. If GOP for any reason nominates Jeb, Rubio, or Cruz, then we know the goal is to lose. To throw the game to Hilary or Sanders. I have always said the GOP is not interested in winning the presidency no more. Jeb being the nominee would further prove that

• parteagirl says:

Bush and Rubio knocking each other out is good for Trump in Florida- winner take all!

• JoeS says:

Unfortunately agree.

I had a lot of respect for Rush and listened to him for about 27 plus years. He used to follow Lynn Samuels on WABC radio out of NYC, and was really the warmup for Bob Grant.

I cannot listen to him any longer and have not for about a week. As Bob Grant used to say, he is “persona non grata” now in my house (car too)! And, I can not believe that I am saying that-it hurts!

• Ditto, 25 years for me, have gone cold turkey. It hurts, but couldn’t take it anymore.

• I was never a fan of Rush or Levin. They talk about the low-information voter, but in reality, they think their listeners are dumb, deaf, and blind. Levin is a huge joke. So he talks about Trump’s big ego and calls himself the great one? Give me a break.

If you listen to these people long enough, you see they are reading a script. All their attacks sound the same, their analysis of the events sounds the same, they are pushing an agenda, and not one that is good for you and I. They serve their master. I wish we could do more to expose these people because there are a lot of people who are unfortunately deceived by these talking heads.

• dizzymissl says:

People kind of were deaf dumb and blind before social media–we were all at the mercy of old school media. Vetting could be done, but it was time consuming and pretty much impossible for those with families and jobs.

• oh I don’t disagree. And I don’t blame the voters at all. It’s impossible to know everything even with the social media. But a lot of people still look at these radio guys as though they are telling the truth every day. I just feel sad seeing people who genuinely believe Rubio is qualified to be President or Ted Cruz is “the man of the people.”

Trump is not perfect by any means, but he is not a politician. Also, unlike these politicians, he has actually done something in his life, running a big business. The rest of these guys are interested in being the senate one term, then run for president, then write books and make money. It’s sad

• kenramsey says:

“The Great One” is a nickname Rush gave to Levin, who has never been comfortable with it. I’ve been a huge fan of Limbaugh and Levin over the years, just YUGE. But I’ve had to vow to turn the radio off until the primaries are over. They have both decided that Cruz is the great hope for True Conservatism, the second coming of Ronald Reagan, that they have been hoping for all these years. I don’t think he is, and I also don’t think Limbaugh or Levin realize how much damage has been done to the very word conservatism by the serial betrayal of it.

• Doesn’t matter. I consider the Rush cartel to be a corrupt group of hosts pushing each other’s books, agenda, and loser candidates. The same day Rush called Rubio a real conservative, Levin spent time bashing Christie for going after Rubio. Rush and Levin know what they are doing. They are not making a “mistake” with Cruz and Rubio. It’s not a one time thing

• Trump only came in second due to Ted Cruz cheating and taking the Carson votes. All he needed to do that was take 3 votes per precinct from Carson and that would put Cruz in first and Trump in second.

If we deduct the stolen votes Cruz took from Carson, Trump is in first place.

And then there was higher level vote fraud going on for Rubio.
      Here’s how they cheated in Iowa, undeniable Mathematical analysis https://youtu.be/bAQ0DFZbHiY 5min video

• That may or may not be the case but changes nothing. We have no evidence that Cruz or others will stop cheating. Trump needs to win these decisively. And I do hope they don’t force Trump to choose one of these people as his running mate, certainly not Cruz. The guy is just creepy. Him being on the ticket, whether it’s top or VP will lead to a loss. Democrats will eat Bush and Rubio alive.

• Golden – I think Ingraham likes Trump. After NH she opened her show with “The Song of Angry Men” from Les Mis. I was still high from the night before and was very moved by the music.

• I am not saying she hates him, but she is very cunning. I look at the language these guys use all the time. They keep bundling Trump and Cruz together … like they are the same. For instance, Laura was saying that only Trump and `Cruz will stop jobs from going to Mexico. That’s not just true at all. Cruz was the guy who supported TPP. He does not agree with Donald on how to deal with China or Mexico. He has borrowed a lot of things from Donald to make himself look like the “safe alternative.”

These people are pushing Cruz for one reason only: Money. Cruz is NOT a real conservative. I don’t care how much he pretends to be.

16. BobW462 says:

I disagree that the number of respondents to this poll represent a ‘good sample size’; yet, nonetheless, agree with Sundance’s take on what the results would seem to indicate.

Of course, I also realize that small sample sizes have become a standard feature of modern agenda-driven political polling, and suppose that this poll is at least as reliable as any other.

• Patrick P says:

People do statistical analysis for me all the time on a different “subject”. (I do some myself, but I task out most work to the true professionals.) Sample sizes vary but can be surprisingly consistent dependent upon the questions (variables) considered and the parameters/demographics of the poll.

• BobW462 says:

Sure, smaller sample sizes can certainly produce good data – in some cases.

SC currently has a population of around 5M. So, in this particular case, I think a sample of only 779 is a bit south of what I believe should be considered acceptable in terms of reliability. But, to each his own.

• dizzymissl says:

What is the sample size that works best for political polls?

• Pete V says:

Usually you take 1000-2000 people when you do a national poll in any country with a large population (50 million voters and more).

If you try to poll only likely primary voters in a single US state, 700 people should be OK.

• Patrick P says:

There is no set standard. A sample size can be 200 and be very accurate, yet a 2000 size can be junk. What is important are:

Questions asked and how they are structured. Bad questions equal bad results.
        Assumptions on demographics. For example:

Take Iowa. Turnout of evangelicals for 2012 was about 55% in the caucus. So you structure the poll using the 55% turnout, and non evangelicals at 45%. Polling on this would give you a certain reliability (confidence factor) that your poll is accurate. But if 64% of the turnout is evangelical, your results are totally off.

Then there is the problem of asking either too many or too few question. Or the structure of the questions introducing a bias in the poll. Any of these factors can lead to a result and you can structure the questions and demographics to obtain a result you want. (Think Push Polls.)

I have been developing a model for the last 5 years, and have finally achieved a workable result with a 95% confidence level. The data variables that existed were more than 40 in total for each data set. It required running test after test using combinations of variables until I got the results I wanted. But if/when a new key variable arrives or else a variable is changed in how it is formulated, the model will have to change and to be reevaluated.

I must assume that something similar is done with the polling companies and their development of their models. They have models consistent with what has been done in the past, but as the electorate changes, they must change the models and their assumptions.

Does this make sense?

• PremAmerica says:

Actually more than 700 likely voters for the population of SC is a very big sample. Not “decent” but “big.” Any bigger than that will actually start to get worse because of “over sampling” errors. Just how statistics work.

It isn’t a statistically valid exercise, but imagine if you multiplied that across all 50 states. Wouldn’t that be an enormous sample?

• Patrick P says:

Correct. 700 should be a good number, dependent upon how the demographics and weighting occurs.

• BobW462 says:

I would generally agree with you here, Prem…IF:

The sample represented a true diverse, random cross section of the total population being measured; and,
        The original sample was not culled/adjusted to generate results that better fit with a desired agenda/narrative.

I doubt that we see much of either in the political polls published nowadays.

17. PremAmerica says:

Nothing makes me less optimistic than people feeling “optimistic” with a full week and a debate to go. Mitt Romney, at this time four years ago, looked unstoppable according to the polls. Then the debate happened.

Trump is incredible under pressure. I’m talking Michael Jordan incredible.

But every fumble he has made in this campaign happened when he was riding high and polling too well.

You gotta keep your head down. It will be a very long week.

• Pete V says:

Trump’s performance during the debates has improved since the beginning. If he is able to repeat his NH debate success he won’t lose ground. It’s important that he doesn’t get into a dirty fight with Cruz and tries to handle this guy while looking presidential and calm.

• Martin says:

Trump isn’t Romney.

• stringy theory says:

This is not 2012 and Donald Trump is not Mittens Romney. I see no parallels at all. Trump’s support is solid and substantial.

• Martin says:

Romney = Jeb

• singtune says:

“Prem”~~ You also should Consider the FACT, that people like me,~~although a Conservative & Republican,{all my life}~~~ but a person who had done her homework{Retired Teacher} ~~would NEVER have Voted for a ROMNEY~~McCAIN~~BUSH! I DID NOT! Instead~~I Wrote in Ron Paul all 3 Times~!

I Already Knew by the time the BUSH #2 Election came around, that he was a Globalist. Therefore, i knew about McCain & Romney. I had done the Research since I retied in 1997. If I had known that BUSH#1 was NWO, I would not have voted for him, but alas, I was Working & still raising one child & did not have the time to find out.

To your point~~I Must Not have been the ONLY one that had this figured out, by the time ROMNEY came up for a vote~!

• That is all true, however, for a different reason. Fumbles only serve to feed the false narrative and set the parameters of how they can cheat, electronic vote fraud and counting fraud. Everybody will be led to believe it is the fumble right before the primary that is the cause. When in reality it will just be the false narrative and made-up excuse that will be the smoke screen for their fraud.

18. Pete V says:

Big question is who will drop out next and when?

Carson? (If he doesn’t get over 10% in SC he should drop out and endorse Trump.)
    Kasich? He has his 2nd place in NH. Would be weird if he drops out after SC.
    Jeb? If he can’t beat Rubio in SC, what will he do?
    Rubio, if he is beaten by Bush in SC?

And Cruz will be a major threat in Texas and maybe in California (he could pander to Hispanics). Those are big states.

Trump should sue this fraud if he is able to get the top law experts who say that Cruz isn’t natural born. In addition, it should be investigated whether Cruz’s mother really was an US citizen when he was born. Because if she wasn’t, then Texas has an illegal alien sitting in the Senate.

• Martin says:

Kasich will drop out after South Carolina. California’s primary is in June. Cruz will be long gone by then.

• Bull Durham says:

Kasich will stay all the way until the convention unless Trump has the delegates.
        All those delegate holders now want VP or top job in administration.
        Jeb will go home and take out the garbage for his mommy.

• Martin says:

Kasich is out of money plus the establishment wants to consolidate behind one candidate to take on Trump which would be Jeb, especially since he has the infrastructure in all 50 states I believe.

• georgiafl says:

A shot across the bow.

Be warned. You are being watched, Rafael Eduardo Cruz.

• bofh says:

“Be warned. You are being watched, Rafael Eduardo Cruz.”

From what I’ve read about Cambridge Analytics, it would also be fair to say “You are being watched BY Rafael Eduardo Cruz.”

• georgiafl says:

Certainly analyzed and scrutinized for potential votes and/or usefulness.

I fear I must decline to participate in Ted’s charade and illegal campaign.

• chrystalia99 says:

Most definitely the case–we’re being watched by the best in the business.

But others are watching them, also–while they like to think what they do and how they do it is a mystery, it isn’t. Technically challenging, yes. But then again, so is card counting, until you grasp the principle, and when it comes to P.S., P.A., and semiotics, there are people who grasp the principles quite well, that are also off their radar😉

• sahm2016 says:

I actually would be happy if Carson stayed in through the SEC primaries. I think him being in the race helps Trump by keeping Cruz’s ceiling relatively low. Carson says he plans on sticking around.

“Absolutely, think there’s no question about that … I can win,” said retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson today on Breitbart News Daily to host Stephen K. Bannon when asked if he thinks he’s still a viable choice to win the Republican nomination and then defeat the Democrat in the Fall.

“There’s only been two contests so far, you know, that’s like calling a baseball game after the second inning. That doesn’t make any sense,” he added.

• Kay Elle says:

Anybody seen this? Good article about the Latino vote for Trump. He beats Rubio by a whopping 30% in the cited poll and the explanations for that are interesting. The author is quite obviously not a Trump fanboy. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/12/no-joke-trump-can-win-plenty-of-latinos.html

• California is not really an evangelical state. Lived there many years. Been around the evangelical scene there as well. So I am one of them. As to the evangelicals that are there, aren’t attracted to the snake-handling type evangelicals, they are seen as fringe and “backwards” and “hicks” coupled with the other things he says are rather cult-like. California is a very progressive state, even the conservatives are progressively conservative. Even the evangelicals are progressive, in comparison to rest of the country.

California Christians are more like Calvary Chapel, Rick Warren, and Dr David Jerimiah, Jerimiah likes Trump. They go for Reagan rather than Jimmy Carter. And they’d go for Trump rather than Cruz. California Republicans are more fiscally conservative than social conservatives and that includes the Christians there.

They also heavily voted for another actor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, so the show biz aspect of Trump would not be a negative to them. They might go Bush, but if it were between Cruz and Trump, California would choose Trump.

• p.s. as to the Hispanics in California, they are majority Democrats.

• MVW says:

So, did Cruz stop with the push pols and lies about Trump yet? Ears to the rail.

• brcajun says:

I sincerely hope that Mr Carson will stay in until Cruz amounts to nil! I am guessing that is the gameplan for the fowl play Cruz did to Mr. Carson. I still adhere total respect for Mr. Carson, So far, he has earned it!

19. dizzymissl says:

If you are a recent convert or know any recent converts from Cruz to Trump, what was the reason?

• Scott says:

I was a Cruz supporter first and foremost when Trump got in. I was happy Trump filed as I knew he would bring topics up that no one else wants to discuss, but I still supported Cruz first. As the campaign went along I grew fonder and fonder of Trump because of what he was saying and putting his details on his website. About October I noticed Cruz was drafting behind Trump, letting Trump take all the arrows from the media and other candidates and then saying what Trump said. By December, I was all-in for Trump as he was saying what needed to be said, challenging the media and winning, and standing up for America, and not “conservatives” or the republican party. I saw too much lawyer and deceit in Cruz’s talking points and he at times dodged answering amnesty issues and TPP. Trump earned by support through his work ethic and what he believes in. he doesn’t need to consult handlers, focus groups, or think tanks as to what to say.

• Was on the fence till between the 2. I didn’t like Trump childish behavior with Carson and I didn’t like Cruz’s Holier than Thou attitude (I’m a Christian) but it was when Cruz lied about Carson in Iowa. That did it for me. No one was fired and he blamed CNN. I finally stopped watching Fox all the time and now go between CNN & Fox’s Bill O’Reilly.

• Just anecdotal, but I know two people that have dropped Cruz in the last week due to his cheating/tactics in Iowa, etc. One went to Trump and one to Rubio. I think we’ll start to see him (Cruz) lose support in the polls.

• dizzymissl says:

Good to hear.

• mysticrose80 says:

Another former Cruz supporter here. Started off being torn between him and Trump, but decided to go ahead and back Cruz. Kinda went back and forth with wanting Trump to stay in the race and be on a ticket with Cruz. There were red flags that kept popped up with Cruz (e.g. The failure to disclose the Goldman Sachs loan, the citizenship issue, the NY values comment), but I just defended him (even getting mad at Trump…or anyone for that matter….for going after Cruz). After a while, I started shifting toward Trump, but still considered Cruz to be a viable option. What turned me off completely was Iowa-gate (both the shaming mailings and his dirty trick against Carson). After that, I washed my hands of him.

• georgiafl says:

Not very recent a conversion… I supported Cruz when Sabo made the cool poster of Cruz as a tough guy with the tattoos (kind of an alter-ego) and believed Mark Levin about Cruz’s eligibility – after all, isn’t Mark Levin supposed to be a Constitutional lawyer?

I began to change and support Donald Trump before the first debate and because of the wall and immigration. I was disappointed when Cruz and Beck went to the border with the Teddy Bears and Soccer Balls, because I did not approve of illegals breaking our laws and taking advantage of our nation’s excessive generosity.

When Ted Cruz said he was opposed to a wall and began weaseling, hedging, hemming and hawing about the wall and about amnesty and immigration, I began to dislike him. I began to realize that I was getting lots of lawyer word craft and politician smoke/mirrors talk and no promise of actual action. The more I saw, heard, read and learned about Cruz, the less I liked him. I researched Natural Born Citizen and the issues TPA/TPP, the Corker bill, and Cruz’s other positions. I felt like we were being lied to in many ways by Cruz, his citizenship and eligibility, his voting record, his past work with Bush for amnesty and benefits for illegals. The political campaign has revealed what a calculating and dishonest man Cruz is.

The more I learned about Trump, despite his insults and manner of speaking and my past prejudices about him and his marriages, gilded lifestyle, I realized here is a man with guts, talent, wisdom, compassion and great ability. Ego strength is good if it is not narcissism. I realized Trump was not a narcissist, because he was an encourager and mentor and teacher. Then I began to appreciate his patriotism, common sense, pragmatism and strength of will and character. And amazing intellect and understanding of human nature. And the vast achievements. And his dedication to his children and intentional fatherhood, guiding them and praising them.

I decided to let Trump be Trump and be darned glad he is exactly that.

• I admired Cruz from what I had heard of him, but was immediately turned off when I saw how gullible he was to jump into Washington’s wars. Trump isn’t a war monger and isn’t gullible to believe the Washington narrative that Putin is the boogie man baloney. i looked up Cruz’ stance on Ukraine and there it was: WARMONGER COLD WAR STUPIDITY and that was enough for me. Completely clueless in foreign policy, not to mention $19 trillion dollars in debt that I knew a politician cannot get us out of. I chose the businessman who is a non-interventionist and NOT a warmonger.

20. dizzymissl says:

Here is another poll done by the SC House GOP that Trump wins as well

Trump 34.5%
    Cruz 15.5%
    Bush 13%
    Rubio 12.5%
    Kasich 8.5%
    Carson 5%

21. jedimastertrump says:

POLLS do not matter.

YOU MUST get out and vote. I don’t care is Trump is 1 10 or 100 points ahead. YOU MUST VOTE!

Every single vote for Trump increases his lead.

• Bull Durham says:

Here’s another reality in SC.

If it appears to all voters that Trump is inevitable, many of the Cruz and Rubio voters will stay home. They may underperform.

Every focus group has shown Trump is thought to be inevitable, even by groups totally against him.

22. kenmar1965 says:

It is killing me that I have to wait until April 26th to vote for Trump in PA!

• PremAmerica says:

Me too! I switched from Libertarian to Republican for Trump!!

Union Town for Trump!!

• Martin says:

I only have to wait until this Tuesday (first day of early voting in Texas).

• PatriotKate says:

Might I suggest that you don’t early vote and wait until Election Day?

I have voted early for at least a decade now; however, it finally occurred to me that the patterns that appear in early voting allow them to cheat the electronic machines more effectively. I don’t trust them, because they report the amount of people voting, whether they are Republican or Democrats and I’m sure they know how it’s going.I’ll bet they keep running totals well in advance of the actual vote counting.

This year, I am waiting until Election Day to vote.

• parteagirl says:

I like to wait until Election Day, too. I will be requesting a paper ballot as well.

• Martin says:

Nope. I want to vote early and get it over with.

• Check with your local voting officials. In Oregon, voter counters don’t start to count until one minute after the polls close. We are all mail ballot now and everybody hates and mistrusts that, so most do vote on Election Day anyway. Also don’t mail the ballots, but walk them into the Clerk’s office. The state election officials decided to do all mail ballots b/c it was “cheaper,” they said, but I think it is b/c it is easier to stuff the ballot boxes. Not in my county where everybody knows everybody, but in Portland and Eugene and a couple of other high population and leftist places.

23. bullnuke says:

It is delicious. Trump’s lead is so big in that poll that #2, #3 and #4 have to destroy each other fighting for the coveted second place! Ha! Excellent decision by Trump to tone it down and be positive. The debate will be must see TV.

24. This is pleasant news. I thought South Carolina would be a battle, but if this is accurate, it’s a battle in which Trump not only commands the high ground, but has fortified it to boot.

All to the good. Still, I won’t rest easy until Trump is done with his presidential term(s) and has solidified his legacy. I had forgotten about Roger Stone’s January piece in Breitbart about the GOPe “Big Steal” planned for the Cleveland Convention until Anonymous Conservative brought it up today on his blog. Trump could win all the primaries, and the party would play some dirty tricks to deny him the nomination. I’ll keep praying that Trump not only knows his enemies, but is planning some serious House of Cards-style tricks of his own to stymie them. Turnabout is, after all, fair play.

• Gail Combs says:

I wil repeat.

All the Trump voters should, after the primary, switch to INDEPENDENT and send a fax to the GOPe head quarters of their state telling them. Also tell the GOPE if there is a Brokered Convention and Trump has his win stolen they will campaign to get an independent to run against every GOPe candidate the state fields as well as vote for Trump even if they have to write the vote in.

It is time to remind the GOPe that WE are in control not them! And if they pull crap we will see they go the way of the Whigs!

25. Ziiggii says:

Cruz was interviewed by CBN…

“I am a Christian and the Word says if you are ashamed of Jesus He will be ashamed of you. I don’t intend to have that conversation with my maker. It is an integral part of who I am my faith. Now, at the same time, I’m not running to be ‘Pastor-In-Chief.’ It is not the calling of a political leader to deliver the salvation message. That is the calling of us as believers, it’s the calling of a pastor but it’s a different role to be a political leader.”

There is a video embedded in the article.

26. dizzymissl says:

Stunning photos and video:

Donald Trump’s $200 million Washington hotel to open in September http://dailym.ai/1Que7Vw via

• JoeS says:

Wow, this guy has class! I go to a LOT of conventions to a lot of major cities, and I could definitely see going to this hotel as the host hotel.

WHAT A PALACE!

Trump has so much class. And,…..I hear it is UNDER BUDGET and AHEAD of schedule. Wouldn’t it be great to have someone who is not a SHLEP running our country?

• Christopher Johnson says:

And THAT is why no one begrudges Trump his wealth… because its in REAL things that he organized and built.

If the bottom fell out of the global markets tomorrow how many of the billionaires backing the GOPe would be wiped out? Most of them… their wealth is digital ones and zeroes built on insider trading. The market collapses and Donald and his family are worth exactly what they are now because their wealth is REAL and that means real work went into achieving it… and people still appreciate that hard work gets you things.

• JoeS says:

Yes, so talented and wealthy, AND the hardhats love the guy! I think they (the hardhats) see this and think: high paying jobs-great boss-we will take it!

• georgiafl says:

Trump reminds me of the Rudyard Kipling poem, IF

If you can keep your head when all about you
          Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
          If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
          But make allowance for their doubting too;
          If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
          Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
          Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
          And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
          If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
          If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
          And treat those two impostors just the same;
          If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
          Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
          Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
          And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
          And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
          And lose, and start again at your beginnings
          And never breathe a word about your loss;
          If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
          To serve your turn long after they are gone,
          And so hold on when there is nothing in you
          Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
          Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
          If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
          If all men count with you, but none too much;
          If you can fill the unforgiving minute
          With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
          Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
          And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
          (1943)

27. SharonKinDC says:

Great poll overall. A couple of observations:
    1. This looks to be LV’s, but recent ‘converts’ who registered or changed to R (not sure if I’s can vote either party?) aren’t taken into account.
    2. Only 8 black voters in this sample, which while most blacks are likely D’s, is likely too low, especially for the DitchAndSwitch people.

Conclusion: this poll appears to be a baseline, and both Trump…and Carson… could end up much better after the votes are in. Hope so!

• stringy theory says:

Sharon, I agree with your observations and analysis. I also believe this is a baseline for Trump. The huge crowds he is drawing and the diversity of those attending them portends, I think, a very positive win in SC and beyond.

• andymilken says:

Sharon, I’d be a bit cautious about the poll. If you look at SC demos from this site- http://ava.publicreligion.org/state?state=SC, then you’ll see SC is more “conservative” than Iowa. And a higher makeup of the evangelical voting block, slightly. I am not a religious person, so I don’t know what the difference between white evangelical and mainline protestant, but it makes a big portion of the electorate (almost 1/3), whereas Iowa is more balance between the two. According to the Iowa exit polls, Trumpy got killed by 12 points w/ this voting block w/ about 62% of the voters identified themselves in this group. If the liar and cheater didn’t resort to dirty tricks and tactics, Trumpy would had pulled it off w/ his new voter turnout strategy. Remember that POS won by 6K+ voters from 1681 precincts, that was an average of 4 votes per precinct. We need the same thing in SC, a huge turnout, and hopefully we can balance out this particular voting block.

• Prothonotary Warbler says:

I think Trump will benefit from South Carolina’s much greater black population compared to Iowa. He’s polling very well with black voters, well enough to fill Democrats with dread and certainly far better than Cruz.

• Carson will get the nice ultra religious folks that see thru TeleSnakevangelist Ted but can’t go as far as to vote for Trump. But he will also shave off the top of the religious folks Cruz so desperately wants. In any case, Carson WILL upset the apple cart for Tedd Cruz. You should hear those CruzBots they are livid that Carson is still in the race for that very reason.

• Bull Durham says:

His hotel workforce and probably some of the construction workforce are Latinos.
      People vote their wallets except Consistent Conservatives who vote what Mark Levin and National Review tell them to do, and they always lose.

• PremAmerica says:

Conservatism is such a nice ideal and such a nice word. It is a pity, Levin et al are doing everything they can to diminish it and destroy it. They make it sound so petty and small.

I hope Levin and others lose their credibility without bringing Conservatism down with them. It is nice to have a word that broadly applies to our way of thinking even if we don’t all agree on every issue….

• parteagirl says:

I think the word conservatism has long ago been twisted and tarnished. Trump was smart not to use it to describe himself. Pro America is good enough for me.

• georgiafl says:

Cruz, Levin and Beck have shown us how very little they value the Constitution and our laws. They are making their own desires, ideas and agendas more important than the Constitution and the law. Exempting Cruz from the stringent requirements of the Constitution on requirements for the Presidency is wrong and destructive to the stability, security and sovereignty of our nation.

Their disrespect for the law, the nation and its citizens is stunning.

• MVW says:

Those three clowns have tied the cruz anchor to their legs. I wonder how many listeners will remember their anti Trump pro nasty, lying Canadian? I am not a forgiving person after I get burned and those three have stepped over the line for me.

I think without them Cruz would be finished, and with them his loss is only delayed a bit.

• Cruz, Levin, Beck, all 3 belong in a mental ward. Truly. Cruz is on some make-believe mission from “God” which includes lying, stealing and using the Name of Jesus as a political tool; Levin sits alone in a room and barks and screams anger into a mic daily for YEARS; and Beck is histrionic and dramatic, fully under some open portal inviting to any dark spirit or force that comes along.

This is a presidential campaign? Surreal doesn’t even come close to describing the Cruz campaign.

DEAR GOD WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THIS COUNTRY?

28. Pinkie says:

Trump is still said to have a “ceiling” and be plagued by high negatives, but I think that is temporary.

I too initially thought this was an ego trip and Trump was a clown. And I’ll bet many of you were of the same mindset

But I pay a lot of attention to politics.

I gradually began to notice the tremendous amount of effort Trump is putting in – rallies, interviews, appearances and other events — non-stop for months.

I also began to notice that Trump is a brilliant strategist and a much better politician than anyone thought.

I noticed that the bombast and controversy are tools and Trump as used them to dominate the news cycle and to define and marginalize the other candidates. And his more outrageous statements seemed to become less outrageous the more you thought about them.

The notion of a Trump presidency initially seemed laughable but it is beginning to make a lot of sense.

Many of the people that say they would never vote for Trump are people that pay less attention to politics. And many will go through the same evolutionary thought process.

And the negatives will come down. Count on it

29. SharonKinDC says:

Good news. In SC, you just need to be registered to vote, not by party b/c SC does not register individuals by party! https://votesmart.org/elections/voter-registration/SC#.Vr5plRgUGSM

Which is why the Lt Gov, at the Trump speech, welcomed all to vote, even D’s.

30. Director says:

Troll raid with memes from Gateway Pundit.

Play nice though.its just a primary!

31. Bull Durham says:

Dear friends of Trump, in referring to Cruz, the Maple Leaf anchor baby, please do not refer the guy as Teddy Ballgame.

There is only one Teddy Ballgame—the greatest hitter in baseball history, WWII and Korean war hero pilot Marine, Ted Williams. He served in two wars heroically. He was a national hero in war and in the national past time, baseball.

Call Cruz Teddy Bullshit, Teddy Liar, whatever, but not the Splendid Splinter’s top nickname.

Cruz never played baseball. Donald Trump did. Captain of his team.

32. Archangel12580 says:

This poll shows what we’ve known all along… Donald Trump is a weak candidate and can not beat Cruz one on one. The splitter strategy you so extensively covered on this site is being used in Trumps favor. Without it, he’s a weak, very beatable candidate.

33. Americafirst16 says:

Today Trump let Cruz have it again on the “natural born” citizen issue. We all know Rubio has similar problems, but Trump never seems to go after him on this issue like Cruz. Is Rubio doing the same intensive negative ads against Trump ? If not, is there something going on that could lead to Cruz’s takedown ? Any thoughts of a possible alliance or some other plan ? Any ideas out there ? Thanks

34. runthetable says:

Rubio’s fate will be decided by the ruling on Cruz, so no need to engage both.

35. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

Trump is coming and we have his 6!

36. Pingback: Very Solid and Very Interesting South Carolina Poll – Donald Trump 36%, Ted Cruz 19%, Marco Rubio 15%… | Rifleman III Journal

37. Lostwithiel says:

If the GOPe thinks they’ll get Rubio, Bush, Kasich or Ryan through a brokered convention, I predict another boring policy-wonk election and the democrats win. How can the GOPe think Bush would ever win a general election? Up in the Pacific NW, where I grew up, people absolutely loathe the Bushes.

People like Trump because they intuit, correctly I think, that he is an old-fashioned kind of man (in a good way). Even though he’s only 69, he seems to be the type who respected and listened to his parents and the older generation, and in a sense, that makes him hearken back to those older generations. It’s bizarre to have atheists like Krauthammer and Will lecture us that Trump is not sufficiently Christian, that his comment about “the little cracker” means that Trump thinks that’s ALL Communion is about. Maybe he’s not present at charismatic “anointing” services like Cruz, but Trump knows instinctively that it’s important for our culture to feel free to say “Merry Christmas,” and that’s it’s important to remember the suffering Christians in the Middle East.

Maybe he says the occasional curse word, but so did my Dad, and he was a good man.

38. Kristin says:

Just read in Belgian newspaper that Gilmore is throwing the towel in.
    They never write about Trump or it has to be in the negative way. Obama=good, Hillary=good.
    How do they know whom Gilmore is? We don’t even know he was running…(sarc)

39. Athena the Warrior says:

I liken Trump’s South Carolina/SEC campaign approach to how he fixed the Wohlmann’s ice rink. For the ice rink, he laid the concrete down in one contiguous pour. For the campaign, he’s been laying down the foundation for months. A SC rally here, an Alabama rally there, etc.

Conventional wisdom would have him staying put in S. Carolina. Trump though adds another layer of the foundation down in SC, Louisiana and Florida. The other candidates after S. Carolina will have to start fresh and try to hit as many SEC states as possible. Trump already has a foundation laid down, now he just has to build upon that.

Having Trump Force One doesn’t hurt either as well as having bases in Doral, FL and Mar-A-Lago.

40. “Concern angle.” Love it! Because concern angle theta only looks big when they say “never mind that OTHER point of reference – just use this one and our – whoops, we mean YOUR imagination.”

41. Luis Lebron says:

Donald J. Trump; Thank You For Serving The United States Of America.

…how many times this despicable u.s. president made me cut myself sickly during his Audacious presidency, knowing of his few unthinkable treacherous deeds as commander and chief, doing contrary to our holy beliefs as a nation under CHRIST UNDER GOD…
    …Finally I can see GOD letting us know HE tightens our necks, but doesn’t hang us. I C that hope in Donald J. Trump, thanks i’say. LDLQ.