Candidate Donald Trump takes a commanding lead (34%) in the latest Fox News Iowa poll (full pdf below).  Ted Cruz comes in second at 23% and Marco Rubio 12%.  No other candidate comes close.

However, additionally worth noting is the under representation of several electorate flags (ex. cell phone users) which would add confidence the impression that even with these results, the size of Donald Trump’s support is understated.

This baseline polling probability is enhanced when you review the Margin-of-Error for the sub-groups.  Obviously, all of this is exceptional news for Donald Trump with a week left before Iowa caucuses… We have previously outlined how the Fox Polls were constructed for a specific outcome in December and January.  The severity of their manufacturing was noted in their previous MOE, 10% margins of error on “gender”, which is ridiculous. – SEE HERE

This latest poll adds further confirmation the previous methods used by Fox were created for a specific narrative, and NOT to genuinely capture the overall sense of the electorate.

With actual voting a week away, they have to start reporting accurate data lest they be noted as insufferably wrong come caucus day in Iowa, Feb 1st.

Here’s a comparative trend of the latest Fox polls of Iowa:

fox poll iowa 1-24-16

(Via Fox) […]  Trump bests Ted Cruz in Iowa and now receives 34 percent support among Republican caucus-goers.  Trump was at 23 percent in the Fox News Poll two weeks ago (January 4-7).

Cruz is second with 23 percent — down a touch from 27 percent.  Marco Rubio comes in third with 12 percent, down from 15 percent.  No others garner double-digit support.

Among caucus-goers who identify as “very” conservative, Cruz was up by 18 points over Trump earlier this month.  Now they each receive about a third among this group (Cruz 34 percent vs. Trump 33 percent).

There’s been a similar shift among white evangelical Christians.  Cruz’s 14-point advantage is now down to a 2-point edge.

A lot has happened in the intervening two weeks.  Fox Business Network hosted a Republican debate where Trump questioned Cruz’s eligibility to be president, and Cruz attacked Trump’s liberal “New York values.”  On Tuesday, Gov. Terry Branstad urged his fellow Iowans to vote against Cruz because of his opposition to ethanol — and former Vice-Presidential candidate Sarah Palin endorsed Trump.

Republican pollster Daron Shaw says, “We tend to over-interpret every little thing in a presidential race, but here we actually have solid evidence Trump didn’t just win last week in Iowa — he won it by enough to put some distance between himself and Cruz.”  Shaw conducts the Fox News Poll with Democratic pollster Chris Anderson. (read more)

trump vet

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio, media bias, Ted Cruz, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

184 Responses to Latest Iowa Poll – Donald Trump Commanding Lead 34%, Ted Cruz 23%, Marco Rubio 12%…

1. Finalage says:

Trump needs one more great week to seal the deal. Iowa is notoriously fickle! This is not over yet! It will go down to the end, so Trump has to be smart and execute but these are some really good poll results.

• chasingfacts says:

I love that picture of DT with the Vet-

• USA Patriot says:

Trump did a good job today of exposing Cruz on his hiding his very low interest Goldman Sachs and Citi-bank loans which is a twofer — ties him to Global banks and plants seeds of doubt about Cruz’s integrity, which Evangelicals esp cherish.

This outing may come out in the debate with Huck, Santorum or Rubio exposing Cruz on these loans — Trump just has to act Presidential and low key at FBN debate and watch them destroy each other.

Play it cool Donald and pivot all hostile debate questions to your Pro-American message and you win Iowa, maybe by a lot, and then run the table.

• sammyhains says:

I think Donald is going to hold a townhall event in Iowa rather than going to the debate, and he’ll get both CNN to air it live, opposite the FNC debate.

And CNN will beat Fox News in the ratings.

2. ajbenius says:

I expect both Huckabee and Santorum to outperform their low numbers right now in the end. It won’t be enough for them to win, but it will snatch away a few more votes from Ted Cruz. Then afterwards, I think both of them will throw any delegates (should they receive any) to Trump.

• TheFenian says:

I agree on both parts, Huck & Santorum will do better than the poll, but not by much. Their support will definitely come from the floundering Cruz. Between Feb. 2-8 they’ll endorse Trump. The Donald will tell them the date & time to do so.

There is no doubt, except among the low information crowd, that Trump was never in second place at all. He has held a lead and now, after the complete & utter face plants of the Cruz candidacy during the past week, Trump will win an astoundingly large % of the caucus vote.

The collosul missteps, ineptitude, poor judgement and humiliation of Cruz this past week has been stunning to watch. It has historically taken a Gary Hart type sex scandal to so quickly and thoroughly end a campaign, trash a reputation and (likely) end a political career.

Cruz managed his own demise just by his character & financial scandals being exposed and by both his embrace of a Con-man and the ensuing public endorsement.

• don welch says:

agreed… allowing beck to use him, hurt cruz. everyone used to like beck but it became apparent that he is a drama queen with suspect political instincts.

• Raffaella says:

“There is no doubt, except among the low information crowd, that Trump was never in second place at all. He has held a lead and now, after the complete & utter face plants of the Cruz candidacy during the past week, Trump will win an astoundingly large % of the caucus vote”

Yes Trump was never in second place. Carson surg was fake and Cruz surg was fake too. I have always known and posted multiple times that as we get close to voting we will see real number and real polls. The rest were just talking points.

Anyone from Iowa reading these blogs should not be complacent. Turnout is the name of the game.

• TheTorch says:

Don’t be surprised if Huck or even Santorum, or perhaps even both, drop out and endorse Trump before Iowa Caucus.

Just a feeling I have. They both have been nice to Trump and have not attacked him, it is a reasonable assumption to make at this stage I think and we know how Trump loves to surprise and up the ante.

• dumbplumber says:

Talking about Huck and Santorum is like talking about some pro baseball farm team in Florida. It’s a waste of breath.

• TheTorch says:

Not if it adds another 2-3% to Trumps numbers in Iowa. If Trump kills it in Iowa, not only will he run the table, but it will be the biggest middle finger possible to the GOPe and media. So any additional endorsements even with their very low %, would be a bonus.

• USA Patriot says:

I still say that Team Trump , say a media surrogate, should remind voters that Rubio, Cruz, and Rand all enabled Obama on the sellout Iran deal and 6500 page Obamatrade –it’s a threefer. I believe these votes are true but if not correct me.

This cements that these three are part of the UniParty and not conservative or Pro-American — leave nothing to chance Donald; full court press on your competitors.

• sammyhains says:

Don’t count out Rand Paul, either.
      I think his father’s GOTV machine is going to show up for him, not Ted Cruz.

Cruz was relying in large part on winning Ron Paul’s supporters over Ron’s own son. I do not think that will happen. I think Ted Cruz’s ground game will end up delivering a lot of Trump supporters to the caucuses.

Ted Cruz has a basic problem that he never had large rallies like Trump where his team could make one-on-one contact and collect tens of thousands of names to turn out.

So his data-mining operation has depended on identifying voters who have put Cruz 1st or 2nd as their top choice. And most of this was done months ago. Since Trump is the 1st or 2nd choice of most of the people his team has collected data on (mostly on the internet through Cambridge Analytica), they aren’t going to be able to weed out the people who have made their final decision for Trump.

3. Notmeagain says:

This is great, but not exactly “through the roof” as he suggested some poll coming up will be. A different one?

• MfM says:

Comparing it to previous polls by Fox in Iowa show a significant increase for Trump, with decreases pretty much across the field.

• WenMaMa says:

Why do you have doubts?

• Notmeagain says:

I don’t have doubts, but I was watching a rally or two and he said something about a good one coming that is “through the roof.” In the 30s% is not, to me, through the roof, because he has been very steadily in the 30s. I infer that it will be a breakthrough number, like over 40% or better. This poll is more like Sundance and other say, the lying media are being forced to approximate the truth because in a few days there is going to be a revelation.

• don welch says:

or revolution.

• TheTorch says:

If you are 11% points ahead of your key rival, then I think that constitutes through the roof!

Or to look at it another way that is a significant swing to Trump.

Remember, how many people are still in the race.

• dumbplumber says:

Or put another way, you can take all the points from Bush down to the bottom, put them together and give them all to Cruz and only then will he be tied with Trump. Um, I’d say that is about what the odds are of me winning the PowerBall. Let’s move on. Ouija boards make more sense.

• Tonawanda says:

I do wonder if there is a reasonable chance Trump could get a “majority” of delegates to cross off state number 1 (of 8). Or is that lunacy?

• jedimastertrump says:

Depends on turnout.

• runthetable says:

I believe that has been the objective from the start. Fast Donnie runs the table – 50 and out, layin’ ’em all to waste!

• Sentient says:

In a caucus state, the ultimate number and percentage of delegates won isn’t known for months. Trump winning 60% of the vote on February 1 wouldn’t assure that he’d have the majority of Iowa delegates going to Cleveland.

• Martin says:

It should or there will be “you know what” to pay.

• lorac says:

Martin, on today’s open presidential thread, moogie called me a troll, and said that you’re my partner. Since I didn’t know these things, I’m assuming you don’t either, so I’m letting you know that we’re partners, troll partners lol

It turns out she thinks the other lorac (she wasn’t a troll, she was a Trump supporter and one day changed her mind and criticized him here – seems to have been mid-December -, and she hasn’t been back to my knowledge) and I are the same person, even though we have very different icons. I’m still waiting for a public apology with the same vigor she gave in falsely attacking me.

• El Torito says:

MSM will do exit polling and call a winner by 8:30 PM – earlier if Trump gets the landslide we are all hoping for.

4. Rene says:

It is a relief to finally have a candidate that can win the whole thing for us. I am so tired of losing. The media and the politicians beat us down so hard in the last several years. I Look forward to this race for the Presidency because there is hope for our side finally.

5. hocuspocus13 says:

⛄ Have a Wonderful Sunday Evening ⛄

6. notamemberofanyorganizedpolicital says:

Cell phones are a good example.
    Many people have replaced their land line phones with cell phones.

7. Kristin says:

Read Robert Davi’s piece today. Excellent!

8. NHVoter says:

This is great! I’m crossing my fingers that Iowa does the right thing on February 1. Go Trump!

Meanwhile, Jeb! has a sad.

9. El Torito says:

I so want trump to run the table to nomination and landslide the GE. The thought of a POTUS that will lead the USA back to better days brings me to tears. Long live the wrecking ball!

10. WenMaMa says:

Every time I see this picture make my cry. It is so gut and heart moving that we see a great leader extend his hand touching the bravest but injured among ourselves. Sundance, please show this picture on every tweet.

• PremAmerica says:

And it isn’t just what Trump did… Look at the wounded warrior’s face. He loves Trump just as much.

The mutual reaction cannot be described by mere words!

• flova says:

What comes across in that photo cannot be faked.

What we have been looking for, a REAL fighter for America.

Trump is fighting dirty, lowdown, corruptocrats- and he has to go the distance.

Tough as nails, he has to throw the counter punches to win. The “fifth avenue I could shoot someone…” (which they spun out of context but that’s okay) is exactly what will shut these creepy globalist America haters down. His supporters aren’t going anywhere, get it?

It’s our turn, we’re sick of losers!

• R-C says:

Zackly.

As I told a guy I know, “Hey, last time we let the establishment choose our candidate, they gave us a mope who was so pathetic he lost a debate to the moderator. This time, WE are choosing our candidate.”

The response? Crickets.

11. Rebel Mope says:

My first reaction was “Marco is next”. But after coming to my senses, it would behoove Trump to keep Marco and Ted neck-and-neck to keep either one from winning the 8 states necessary to have their name placed in the nominating hat.

• WenMaMa says:

I hope after IOWA win, there is no “NEXT” competitor. TRUMP is the “Choosing ONE”.

• Finalage says:

Chosen one

• researchermo says:

I must respond to this. No. He is not a “chosen one.” Let’s leave that kind of rhetoric to zealots and bambi worshippers. No, Donald Trump is earning this! He has clearly planned it for a long long time, allowing himself to acquire the experience and gravitas to become a worthwhile candidate to lead this great Nation. He will win because he earned it, and we can see that he means to do us proud.

• the5thranchhand says:

Hurrah! Thank you~~Yes Donald J. Trump has EARNED it, Fair and square by working his butt off to help ‘Make America Great Again’!

May the G-D of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob bless him and cause HIS face to shine upon him!

• TheFenian says:

Cruz is done. It’s possible he hangs around through South Carolina, but he’ll be down in the pack. Had Rubio made an effort in Iowa, it’s now probable that even he could have finished ahead of Cruz.

There’s no coming back from the week Cruz inflicted on himself. Bye bye.

We may see a few weeks of Marco being proper up, but there’s a whole lot of ugliness wrapped up in that boy. Trump will eat him up and spit him out.

Trump wins Iowa big. Then the other 49.

We can do this. And it’s going to feel good.

12. reireichan80 says:

Every time I see that little Canadian flag with Cruz I laugh.

13. tz says:

I’m not sure if you can order your delegates to vote for a different candidate if you drop out, you can only suggest, but someone correct me if I’m wrong.
    Also remember you need 51% in 8 states to even be nominated (Thanks Mitt!). Tr(iu)mp(h) might get 50% in both Iowa and New Hampshire.
    I don’t know what will happen, but Trump is pro-Ethanol (which I have a problem but is not critical – mostly mandating I damage my car by putting it in my gas tank – get a flex-fuel if you want to burn ethanol! – Brazil is almost all ethanol). Cruz has basically promised a vote for him is a vote to bankrupt yourself. Evangelical Christians might want sacrifice, but usually want someone else to do so, and would want Goldman Sachs to sacrifice at least as much.

Something else few understand is Trump is a pragmatist. Just because we were stupid enough to go into Iraq and break things, it doesn’t mean sudden exit is the right policy – you deal with what is, not what should have been. Same with bailouts, subsidies, the rest.

You need to slowly, carefully defuse the welfare bombs lest the economy blow up and many people get hurt. Once America is Great again, we can discuss restructuring things like this, just like we can start talking about immigration after the border is secure and all the illegals are on the far side.

• kenramsey says:

I think you are right, I worked for an unsuccessful campaign in the past. When we dropped out we “released” our delegates. By this time the eventual nominee was obvious and inevitable, and they all went over to him. But they were free to go wherever they wanted, I believe.

• R-C says:

A well-thought-out position. Kudos.

14. justfactsplz says:

I really believe if we had honest to goodness real polls that they would reflect Donald over 50%. These polls aren’t fooling the enlightened. Iowa will be a landslide just for starters. Then what will they do with their bogus polls? Go Trump, all the way to the white house.

• Raffaella says:

Yes agreed on 50%. But we cannot get complacent. Get out and vote.

• PatriotKate says:

Of course, there are lots of reasons that Mr. Trump wants to win Iowa.

Perhaps the least discussed reason is it is harder to manipulate the actual votes because it’s a Caucus process. It’s open discussions before voting. The outcome is pretty obvious. Therefore, it makes it abundantly clear what the real voters want. The controllers know that, making it harder for them to steal – but, they will certainly try. (Of course, we know they can still mess with the delegates at the convention as they did to Ron Paul so we know they can and will try.)

Those of us stuck with the electronic machines that have absolutely proven to be manipulated, live in fear of another stolen election.

This is an historic election. People like winners and we all know Mr. Trump is a big time winner. That’s why he has repeatedly reminded Iowans they haven’t chosen the right Nominee in 16 years. Their pride will take a hit if they are wrong again. They may in fact get booted to the back. They won’t like it.

Bottom line, the brilliant Mr. Trumps knows that Iowans are going to want to be with the winner. That alone will put him significantly over the top.

While Iowa offers few delegates, it is, in fact a key state to win for the psychological momentum needed (particularly this time) to indeed run the table as he says.

He knows he has to over perform in order to beat them at their game. Which is precisely why he is THE Donald J. Trump.

• justfactsplz says:

Trump has been working Iowa very hard and I think it will pay off.

I hate electronic voting machines. I’m glad my small precinct uses paper ballots. I live in a state where voter fraud has been a huge problem in the past.

15. tz says:

By summer there will be a modification to the name given Marco Rubio lacks vision https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Polo_%28game%29

16. chasingfacts says:

Would like to see Trump start working on the millennials that are following Sanders around.
    That is a sizable group and I think some could understand the trap they are walking into

Explain to them the real math of Sander’s “I’ll write off all your college loan debt” and follow-up with a 95% tax on every dime you earn for the rest of your life, and oh yeah- government will provide everything you need for free (except there won’t be anything)-
    explain as only DJT can do

I can’t understand how they don’t understand that. But then Harvard students recently signed a petition to do away with the First amendment. Duh

17. Martin says:

• Notmeagain says:

17% ahead of the nearest competitor is more my idea of “through the roof.” I understand that when one was supposedly down (though probably not), then a net change of 11+ would be through some roof, but I still believe that Trump’s “roof” is about to go up another story.

18. conservativehippie says:

for all cruz’s fancy psycho-manipulation and calculating I’m still totally shocked at the stupidity of insulting an entire state’s character. that to me was his biggest flub.

19. tz says:

Cruz now has a problem – an anchor that might drag him under.
    I’m not kidding about him being asked about if he is carrying the “golden compass” (atheist reference) or that it is square (freemasonry).
    Just over a month ago, Glenn Beck wasn’t acting batshit crazy (I know it is a relative measurement, but he wasn’t talking about forgeries or two corinthians). Someone descending into madness endorsing you (while he accelerates) is something to be rejected.
    It is one thing to have an endorsement from afar, it is another to have one on your stage in the middle of a psychotic episode (explaining the expression on Ted’s face – brought to you by “Bond Arms” when he came on stage and tried to get Beck to exit).

Trump has commented before on the tragedy of deinstitutionalization.

If Beck disappears for 72 hours, I think I know where he will be.

• stringy theory says:

Yes, I agree. Beck is now the albatross tied around Cruz. It will be fun to watch as Beck dives headlong into the abyss of insanity, tied to Cruz.

• Bobbi D says:

And don’t forget about Levin and his future ‘son’ working for the Cruz campaign…I wonder how much advise Levin gave Cruz about his campaign….I know Rush has been ‘trying’ to run Trump’s campaign but it isn’t working…

And then there is the CFR thing that is hanging over Cruz, Levin, Rush, and Becks neck…and Cruz’s wife the author of that mess…

God Bless America and God Bless Donald Trump…

• El Torito says:

Beck knows Cruz has no chance but since Trump won’t give Beck the time of day, Beck will happily be Cruz’s media whore until it’s over.

• joshua says:

medication time…..

• Notmeagain says:

Sad for Beck, but look at the other bright side: He will be a well-understood example to make a point about our mental health problem.
      Sad for Cruz, not for us, just desserts for being calculating and false.

20. Rick says:

Even though Trump is likely to take IA now, Cruz is in it for the long haul. I just sense that the GOPe will use him to keep going after TRUMP deep into the primaries. He’s the splitter that gives hope to a weak Rubio, Bush or Kasich! Cruz’s mission is to be a disrupter. We need unprecedented turnout for TRUMP to knock this through the convention. Brokered convention and all shit hits the fan. REVOLT!

TRUMP 2016

21. flawesttexas says:

That National Review hit piece on Trump has become the “Dukakis In A Tank” moment for Ted Cruz…and a lot of GOP Liberals.

Bummer that we won’t get to eviscerate Cruz and his CruzBots for Ted’s support of European Socialism via his Value Added Tax

• tz says:

Quite. Way back when, Mondale (1984) talked very hard about raising taxes – not unlike Cruz is talking ending Ethanol subsidies.
      The problem with having databases explaining what to target, is that you have to avoid pre-targeting in the wrong direction. Even if you find “undecideds” in a big field, where you’ve already said you are going to utterly destroy their economy, it will be hard to get someone to vote for you.

• marierogers says:

cant believe that gang thought they would sway TRUMP voters..any idiot would know it wouldnt work! backfired beautifully!!

22. tz says:

The only problem with Trump sucking all the air out of the room is that Cruz was NOT on all the talking head shows this Sunday explaining Elmer Glenntry Beck. Or his inability to remember the oath of office from the Constitution (here I have to cut Cruz a break. If you have a dangerous psychopath a few feet away pulling something out of his pocket, I don’t expect clarity of thought other than “I hope the Secret Service has good aim”).

23. Solo Tester says:

Fantastic and touching picture above of Mr. Trump acknowledging a wounded warrior (assuming that he is) with an affectionate pat on the face. No one with a heart can help getting a lump in their throat watching how this young man was so thrilled to meet our future commander in chief.

Where was Mr. McCain in helping these poor souls? Obama? The VA? Where in the name of God is the help that these brave men and women need after coming home?

One thing is certain, Mr. Trump LOVES this country and what it stands for. He LOVES our warriors and WILL TAKE CARE OF THEM!

In the name of all that have returned home battered and disabled for the rest of their lives, with shattered limbs and mental destruction, and in the name of ALL who have fallen, we must NEVER give up fighting for this country like they did. Many have returned only to state with love and honor that if they had to do it all over again, they would go back and fight for what is right and for our country.

Are we going to let them down by not getting Mr. Trump across the finish line to the White House?

Count me in with a HELL NO!

• don welch says:

well…..he received ‘some’ type of help with that arm.

• kathyca says:

There are a ton of vets who used to work the construction trade for Trump’s dad and for Trump himself. They came back from the wars and went right to work in construction because they had learned the various trades in the military and those jobs were plentiful and paid pretty well for guys who’d barely graduated HS, if they had. I’d bet a million dollars that Donald’s appreciation of our vets comes in large part from that connection. Which is at least partly why it’s a true connection — not just lip service, imo.

• Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

“Where was Mr. McCain in helping these poor souls? Obama?”

Everyone was off pandering to illegals, trying to find ways to improve their benefits.

• justfactsplz says:

I love your post. I love our military and Trump does too.

24. LawrencePaul says:

Man, that picture. Better than a thousand words.

25. joshua says:

Why Everyone (in Congress) Hates Ted Cruz
    By Caroline Bankoff

Over the last year or two, certain Americans have delighted in screenwriter Craig Mazin’s candid recollections of his time as Texas senator Ted Cruz’s freshman-year roommate. According to Mazin, the current presidential candidate “endlessly hit the snooze button,” creeped out female peers by hanging around their hallway in a bathrobe, and “had SERIOUS body odor issues.” Other Princeton classmates haven’t been much kinder, calling Cruz “abrasive,” “intense,” “strident,” “arrogant,” and a “crank.”

“More than anyone I knew, Ted seemed to have arrived in college with a fully formed worldview. And what strikes me now, looking at him as an adult and hearing the things he’s saying, it seems like nothing has changed,” said another person who knew (and disliked) him back in college. Even the guy who has been identified as one of Cruz’s few friends at Princeton agreed with that assessment, though he seems to view it as a positive thing: “He’s not someone who shifts in the wind. The Ted Cruz that I knew at 17 years old is exactly the same as the Ted Cruz I know at 42 years old.”

Cruz has tried to present his lack of likability as an attractive quality to voters — proof that he’ll stick to his promises, regardless of their popularity in Washington: “If you want someone to grab a beer with, I may not be that guy,” he said during the third GOP debate. “But if you want someone to drive you home, I will get the job done and I will get you home.”

While Cruz’s “insufferable designated driver” persona might appeal to some of the American electorate, his Republican colleagues — the people who have to deal with him in the cold, sober light of day — can’t stand it. This became especially apparent in the last six months, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and his fellow Republicans have gone out of their way to thwart Cruz’s attempts to hold roll-call votes (generally not a hard thing to do) and shut down the government over Planned Parenthood funding. And their reasons for hating Cruz aren’t so different from those of the folks who were on the Princeton campus between 1988 and 1992.

He puts what’s good for him ahead of what’s good for the GOP.

In 2013, at Cruz’s urging, House tea-partiers inserted a provision repealing the Affordable Care Act in the next year’s spending bill. This effort to kill Obamacare was doomed from the start — the majority-Democrat Senate, not to mention President Obama, wouldn’t approve it — but that didn’t stop Cruz from insisting the plan could work. While the resulting 16-day government shutdown was an image disaster for the GOP in general, it made Cruz look like a hero to tea-party voters. Lindsey Graham has said of Cruz: “He plays into the frustrations and passions of good people and creates narratives that don’t exist at the expense of others.”

He’s a grandstander.

You need not look further than Cruz’s all-night pre-shutdown filibuster (or fauxlibuster, as it was known at the time). Because of Senate rules, the filibuster had no hope of stopping, or even delaying, the vote, so Cruz basically stood up there for 21 hours in order to get attention, hear himself talk, and share the magic of Green Eggs and Ham.

He attacks fellow Republicans.

Among Cruz’s other activities in 2013: raising millions of dollars for former South Carolina senator Jim DeMint’s Senate Conservatives Fund.
    From the Daily Beast:
    The SCF used that Cruz-Lee money to run ads against seven GOP senators they were serving with, including Mitch McConnell, Jeff Flake, and Lindsey Graham. The ads attacked those veteran Republicans for not opposing Obamacare enough, even though they all voted against the bill and said they would vote to defund it.

Last summer, Cruz published the book A Time for Truth, in which he claims that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and Senator Rand Paul repeatedly misled and betrayed him. (Unsurprisingly, McConnell, Paul, and many of their colleagues have very different recollections of the incidents cited in the book.)

A Time for Truth also includes descriptions of Republican meetings that participants likely assumed would not be made public. “No one is going to want to talk up something on a personal issue or a contentious issue if they think they are going to read about it the next day in the paper or it’s going to be released in the press,” said Senator Dan Coats of Cruz’s writing. “It really undermines any sense of team or any sense of cooperation.”

Most recently, Cruz called the Republican leadership “the most effective Democrat leaders we’ve ever seen.” “They’ve passed more Democratic priorities than Harry Reid ever could,” he said.

He’s rude.

In July, Cruz called McConnell a liar for allowing a vote on the reauthorization of the Export-Import Bank. “I cannot believe he would tell a flat-out lie,” said Cruz, who claimed that McConnell had told him that there wouldn’t be a vote. That jab was apparently too rude for Cruz’s colleagues in the Senate, which actually has a rule (it’s No. 19) against using “any form of words” to “impute to another senator or to other senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a senator.”

“I think it was outside the realm of Senate behavior,” said Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, who has clashed with Cruz in the past. “I would never contemplate going to the floor of the Senate and impugning the integrity of another senator. Just not something we do here. I really think it was a very wrong thing to do.”

“Squabbling and sanctimony may be tolerated in other venues — or perhaps on the campaign trail — but they have no place among colleagues in the United States Senate,” warned Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah in a lengthy floor speech reprimanding Cruz.

“I think it was a violation of the rules. It’s not how you treat a colleague regardless of how you feel,” added North Carolina’s Thom Tillis.

In other rude Cruz behavior: The New York Times reports, “Last year, during a lengthy budget vote, he forced his colleagues to vote on an unrelated but politically helpful abortion measure at 2:30 a.m., prompting an audible groan from exhausted colleagues in both parties.”

• tampafan says:

I’m sorry, but everyone quoted in this article would SLAM everyone commenting on this site as crazy, bible hugging weirdos. This Princeton roommate is a smug jerk – whatever your opinion, would YOU go on tv and say that your college roommate smelled bad? (mine did! and I would NEVER do that). All these Cruz critics are the worst of the elitist team that doesn’t like the nerd. I remember a trip to Princeton as a prospective student 30+ years ago from the midwest, and I felt shamed by my out of style clothes and hair. I don’t support Cruz, but HATE giving these creeps credibility.

Let’s celebrate Trump’s success without the gleeful mocking of Cruz’s adolescent geekiness. Any principled person would run afoul of McConnell and his henchmen. For goodness sakes, they use McCain, Orin Hatch and Tillis to make their anti-Cruz points. And Treepers should applaud a man calling out – rudely – the hypocrisy of the foul trough feeders in DC.

Don’t jump on me as a Cruz-bot. If you’ve read my comments, you know I have been on the Trump train since early summer when we all explored the splitter plan.
      Please just don’t disappoint by acting like the same critics that marginalize Sundance just because you enjoy that they are smearing Cruz. (acting like the blue-eyed first graders dumping on the brown eyed kid)

26. sundance says:

27. sundance says:

28. tz says:

There is one problem Trump will have with Cruz. He is the most credible alternative.
    Once he is out, … it will be Trumpzilla v.s. Bambi.
    Carson – the literal dark horse – might be credible, but the rest?
    I didn’t appreciate Cruz’s credibility until I considered if he ends up leaving the race what was left.
    Jeb!? (pause, wipe spittle from display and keyboard from the guffaw).
    Rubio isn’t it.
    Cruz will be number two in many races. If I were Trump, I would get his mid-February letter “We’re all going to die because I’m running out of money” and offer to keep him in the race. (keep your enemies closer).

• TheTorch says:

I think Carson will suspend his campaign soon, and when he drops out, I believe he will likely endorse Trump.

This is why: if Trump wins Iowa, and especially if it is comfortable, then he will know the likely-hood of Trump running the table is YUGE. So backing Trump would be logical, also to back anyone else would go against the whole Outsider credo, which I don’t think he would want to forgo.

Just a thought, but it would not surprise me, and if Trump goes all the way in the Presidential, then Carson could have a role in a Trump admin…

29. WeThePeople2016 says:

I have been saying for over a month now that the “true” polls in Iowa will come out right before Iowa because these pollsters don’t want to look bad with their agenda polls. Yet, all day yesterday, whenever I turned to Fox news, they kept running the headline that Trump and Cruz are in a dead heat in Iowa and today they come out with this poll. An eleven point gap is not a dead heat.

• kathyca says:

If you use the full margin of error in favor of Cruz and against Trump there’s a 10-point swing and they’re one point apart. I’m sure that’s how they justify it.

30. LawrencePaul says:

There was only ever going to be one winner of this race. Trump is in a totally different league to all of these also-rans. It is almost unfair.

• woohoowee says:

The Uniparty doesn’t have anyone that can beat Trump. I think the race was over as soon as Trump said “build a wall.”

• kathyca says:

It was over when he said “build a wall” and then refused to back down in the face of being called a racist.

• Not backing down, how refreshing, lol. Would that our representatives had the same conviction.

• Bart Manson ✓ᴺᵃᵗᶦᵒᶰᵃˡᶦˢᵗ says:

That was what did it. Lots of people can say things that aren’t PC. Trump separated himself by taking all the attacks and standing his ground.

Everyone else would have collapsed right after Univision called Trump a racist and broke ties with him, and that was just the first of many attacks.

Trump: “I’m gonna build a wall”
          Media, Candidates, Parties, Companies: “You’re racist. You’re bad. You suck. You have bad hair”.
          Trump: “Screw you, I’m gonna build a really big wall. And I’m suing Univision for $500M.”

• Rev21v3n4 says:

I LIKE this unfair. It’s been unfair against us for far too long–even though we’ve always been the majority. Wimps, weasels and sell outs all. After all the love we gave them in two massive R win elections. Spit.

31. Tiger.red says:

Cruz’s campaign “jumped the shark” with the Glenn Beck endorsement.

It was humiliating.

• WeThePeople2016 says:

The other “Jump the Shark” response from Cruz to Trump on his Canadian birth was not good judgment in my opinion. I am talking about the Fonzie video that he posted as his response. I thought it was a childish response and he basically had a different answer on it all week such as “It is settled law,” etc. However, he never really addressed it head on because he knows Trump is right that it is a problem.

• It is settled law. Whomever receives citizenship solely through Congressional statutes is a naturalized citizen – even foreign born children of citizens. If one is a citizen because Congress wrote a law conferring you citizenship, you are a naturalized citizen.

“Although those Americans who acquire their citizenship under statutes conferring citizenship on the foreign-born children of citizens are not popularly thought of as naturalized citizens, the use of the word “naturalize” in this way has a considerable constitutional history. Congress is empowered by the Constitution to “establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization,” Art. I, § 8. Anyone acquiring citizenship solely under the exercise of this power is, constitutionally speaking, a naturalized citizen.” Justice Hugo Black, Rogers v Bellei (1971)

• Rev21v3n4 says:

Natural born is the issue here, not naturalized. Prez and VP are only two offices with this distinctive requirement. Thus all the clamor yea and nay.

• If Cruz had been born in the US, Natural Born status would be the issue. However, Cruz was not, per the 14th Amendment, born in the US subject to its jurisdiction. Thus, Cruz can only be a naturalized citizen. Naturalized citizens aren’t eligible.

Focusing on Natural Born status, rather than Cruz being a naturalized citizen, is the same mistake people made with obama. People focused on the question of his ‘Kenyan’ birth rather than his British subject father.

That’s not the same issue Cruz has. We know for an irrefutable fact that Cruz was born a Canadian citizen. He has a Canadian birth certificate and he lived in Canada for the first four years of his life. We don’t know when his mother acquired his US citizenship. No matter when that happened, Cruz is a naturalized citizen and not eligible.

People are trying to confuse the issue, don’t let them.

• TheTorch says:

Good posts by all regarding this.

But I want to point something out which I think is being overlooked.

The NBC issue whether Cruz is ineligible or eligible is not really what Trump cares about. Actually I don’t think he really gives a fig about that. What Trump is after, which is why this guy is an absolute genius, is bringing all this up, to ensure that every person who is voting in the Republican primaries are aware that Cruz was born in Canada and not the USA. The reason this is so important is because there is a block of voters which the polling data shows (and quite a number in Iowa), which will not vote for a candidate if they were not born in the USA.

Therefore, whether Cruz gets a declaratory judgment in his favor, or whether it could be clarified tomorrow to the satisfaction of all concerned that he is eligible, does not make any difference. What matters is that he was not born in the USA. That for some voters is a deal-breaker and that is what Trump knows. It is a brilliant strategy and is already bearing fruit.

Talking heads in the media and radio talk show hosts like Rush, maintain Trump should not go there, it will do him damage, it is a terrible strategy. NO it is a superb strategy. Either they are being ignorant or dishonest, in that they know what Trump is doing but they are trying to prop up Cruz.

The irony is that if Cruz did not attack Trump, then Trump may of let this slide, but instead Cruz decided to attack Trump (the secret audio recording with donors, did not help either), and so Trump played his Trump Card, and ever since it has been Armageddon for Cruz, as Trump has rolled out one attack after another, including the huge endorsement of Palin.

• Solo Tester says:

Torch, excellent point. Spot on. The whole legal fandango isn’t the real issue, it’s the perception. Intrinsically, people want a home grown citizen, without having to wrangle about whether he’s a “ferriner” or not. Nothing against Canadians, we’re joined at the hip, but rules is rules, eh?

• Howie says:

Pretty simple to see. Why do you think they call it the naturalization act and not the natural born act?

• lurker99 says:

Agree on the Cruz response — Cruz should have heeded the early advice of DJT to get that declaratory decree — and avoided the downward spiral of negative attention to his birth.

• I don’t think he can do that. Going to the courts means releasing his records. His records will show the date his US citizenship was recognized. It is my personal belief that this date is several years after he was born. Maybe when his mother moved him back to the US and she needed to enroll him in school.

This is only my opinion based on Canadian law not allowing dual citizenship until 1977 and Cruz’s refusal to release his documents. Speculation, pure speculation.

• John Galt says:

Maybe “took Glenn’s oath” will replace shark jumping.

32. onsu says:

I think the best line by far of Trump’s campaign was in OK? a few days ago and was uttered by his son. When he said that Trump had taken very good care of them (his kids) and that now he was going to take care of us, the American people.

Look how great his kids turned out and now he’s going to take care of us? Now all of us are going to get lucky and plenty of us need that. Please God help us make this happen. That sentiment goes along with the photo above perfectly.

• don welch says:

i caught that too but for me, i don’t want a president to take care of me. i want a president who stays out of my life so i can take care of myself. that said, i am still all in at this point.

trump 2016.

• onsu says:

I agree, I need no one to “take care” of me. But I took it more to mean he would care for the American people. I would never lie to or stab my son in the back kind of thing.

33. E.B. Greene says:

DT will win Iowa by a much larger margin than the new FP even. The race is not even close. If the candidate were anybody but DT the media would have all but called the nomination. This last DEBATE as they call it has a lot of implications however. Has anybody done a comparison to the number of rep debates in recent history compared to this cycle?

34. NHVoter says:

35. NHVoter says:

This guy is such a…[insert favorite description].

36. Howie says:

Remember how everyone was so excited to elect Ernst in 14. The anti-establishment candidate R du jour. Ha Ha Ha. Sorry. No more republicans for me. Cept Donald. None.
    Joni Ernst to campaign with Rubio Monday

37. Alexander Reagan says:

Image: Ted Cruz, My way or the highway.

38. telerider says:

I spent some time looking for any actual documentation that shows Cruz renounced his Canadian citizenship but found nothing in spite of his saying that he did. But I did find that alot of Canadians don’t want him back! Thanks to Sundance for all that you do…

39. tampafan says:

Thanks, Sundance – now I look at the polling sample detail before just skimming to the conclusion. This poll still only reflects 378 “likely” Republican Caucus goers….there were more in the overflow rooms of his Iowa rallies! Landslide will still make CNN and FOX polls look irrelevant.