Iowa Straw Poll – Donald Trump 34%, Ted Cruz 8%…

DES MOINES, Iowa, Jan. 14, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ — The 2016 Online Iowa Straw Poll [ http://2016IowaStrawPoll.com ] results are now available. This has been the most inclusive Iowa Straw Poll in history because it has included ALL Iowa voters, both Republicans and Democrats.

Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton greets a supporter following her address at the 18th Annual David N. Dinkins Leadership and Public Policy Forum at Columbia University in New York

After the GOP unilaterally canceled the traditional Iowa Straw Poll, America’s Term Limits Campaign decided to sponsor an on-line straw poll to give both parties an opportunity to register their votes.  (See Democrat Results Here)

This entry was posted in Donald Trump, Election 2016, media bias, Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

152 Responses to Iowa Straw Poll – Donald Trump 34%, Ted Cruz 8%…

1. stringy theory says:

I can really resonate with those numbers. Trump is crushing the rest of the field. Hope this is a sign of things to come on caucus night–I certainly believe it will.

2. I hope it’s for real! Praying harder than ever!

3. Jett Black says:

Finally, a poll that rings true. The fact that Paul, not Cruz, Rubio, Bush, or Carson is second, albeit a distant second, shows very clearly that cold anger is even more pervasive than even we might have thought. It’s not unreasonable to expect that the majority of Paul’s support would go to Trump, if Paul winds up bowing out (which he should), giving trump a true majority at 52%.

• TheFenian says:

I don’t know. Paul is crashing in typical Paul Family fashion by being bitter and ugly. He trashed the heck out of Trump yesterday on MSNBC. Just made really horrendous and disputable statements about him. His followers are brain dead, pot smoking, loser, left wing anarchists. So I expect them to go to Bernie after their last hurrah in the Iowa caucuses.
      Don’t forget, his father’s left-wing, Jew hating, anarchist cult members voted for Obama in 2008 & 2012 and in-between joined in the “occupy” movements. The gang Rand has in Iowa are the white supremacist remnants of his father’s coalition.

• flova says:

Beck had Rand on this morning but before he started the interview Beck said if Trump gets the nomination he will have to look at Clinton and what makes her worse. (Paraphrasing)

Trump has them all unhinged-separating the real Americans from the globalists.

• jackphatz says:

Unfortunately Rand is making some like Bernie too much. Not good. Somewhere I read this : Rand needs to stop being a Republican and start be a Libertarian.

• Steve Wilks says:

I don’t agree with you. I’m 60 year old white male…college degree, etc. I’m going to vote for Trump and very relieved to have him as an option. But I agree with a lot of what both father and son Paul advocate. Rand Paul has made some political mistakes. Maybe he shouldn’t be in politics. But I agree with the featured straw poll outcome placing Rand Paul above Cruz or Rubio. He’s a more believable, ethical US Senator. I wish he hadn’t made an adversary of Trump. I’m not a voter that’s accurately described by your characterization above. It reads like you have an agenda.

• TheFenian says:

No agenda at all. Just calling a spade a spade. Those are facts stated, not opinions. If they don’t fit you, then that speaks highly of you. It also makes you unusual for a Paul family supporter. I’m sure there are a couple of liberals somewhere who are decent human beings too. The fact is Paulist cult members voted for Obama twice and this time will vote for Bernie. They hate Jews. Are white supremacists. Lean far left. Are anarchists. Joined in the “occupy” activities. Smoke a lot of pot. Believe in conspiracy theories. Will vote for Bernie. That’s just the way it is.

• thomasthomason says:

“They hate Jews. Are white supremacists.” Easy on the hyperbole there, Fernian. You are sounding an awful lot like some the leftist critics of Trump-supporters.

“Just calling a spade a spade.” More like inaccurately calling a sizable voting bloc a spade based on the characteristics of a small subgroup of that voting bloc. To give one example, Paul had massive support among the US military – not exactly far left, Occupy supporting, anarchists. But who cares about facts when we are posting in the comments section, after all.

Like Steve Wilks above, I am a big fan of the Paul clan (particularly the father), and am all-in for Trump this election. But I do not fit any of your other descriptions of a ‘typical’ Paul voter.

• bertdilbert says:

Fenian, you are posting crap. White supremacist voted for Obama?

• dondeg says:

Did I sense a slight attitude here? :p

• charliewalksonwater says:

A lot of what you say is wrong. I am old and have voted libertarian for decades, because the gop runs from constitutional values. I know many libertarians, and they are not as you say. I will vote for Trump because he is what this country so desperately needs after decades of rule by the Republican and Democrat elitists.

Many of my friends voted for Romney last time and i told them “what are you doing? The country will never change if you continue to vote for people like Romney?” Now the entire country sees it. But you paint libertarians with a broad brush, wrongly.

• donevoting4rinos says:

Actually, it’s totally unreasonable to expect Rand Paul supporters to vote for a Progressive Democrat crony corporatist like Trump. Most people who support Paul have been paying attention for a long, long time. We know Rand’s voting record and his unwavering support of the Constitution, a balanced budget and plans to fix the economy. We also know that Trump has been a member of 3 different political parties, and has run for president with two of them, and has been on every side of every issue. Trump has been a progressive Democrat for 65 years, folks. He’s barely a Republican and he’s certainly not a conservative.

4. I’m surprised that Cruz didn’t fare better. He does, after all, have an extensive network of volunteers who could have astroturfed that poll.

• John Galt says:

Anointed priests don’t have Internet?

• georgiafl says:

Maybe Iowans have internet and an interest in ‘TreeHouses’ of the Conservative sort. Maybe a lot of them studied the requirements for President in high school.
      Maybe they can spot a fake Christian and fake conservative.
      Maybe the turn about on Ethanol was not soon enough for Teddy Bear.
      Maybe a lot of them are libertarians and common sense conservatives.

Anyway, even though grumpy testy Paul is second, I like the poll results, because it will be sure to discomfit and irk Cruz, Rubio and Bush, the Three Amigos.

• H Hutto says:

Don’t forget the “plaid shirt”. Just knew Cruz should have added a piece of hay to chew on.

• stringy theory says:

Maybe he was relying on the Good Lord to handle it for him. Speaking of Cruz, did you know his wife Heidi Cruz (née Nelson) is a Seventh Day Adventist as are her parents who did missionary work in Nigeria and Kenya. She got her start in politics working in the GW Bush administration on economic policy, and eventually became director for the Western Hemisphere on the National Security Council under Condoleezza Rice. I assume she was picked up by Bush because of the work she and Ted did on his campaign.

When Ted decided to run for elective office in Texas, she left DC to help out. She eventually joined Goldman Sachs, where she became the Region Head for the Southwest Region in Goldman’s Investment Management Division in Houston.

Mrs. Cruz told a reporter for the San Luis Obispo Tribune-News that her mission is public service. According to the paper, Senator Cruz has praised his wife for being willing to put all of the couple’s savings ($1.2 million) into his 2012 campaign to get elected a Senator, as reported by the New York Times in 2013.Of course, neither she nor Ted made said anything to the paper back in 2012 about the loan from Goldman Sachs. It was all about putting their “savings” into the race. I wonder if she is pals with Carson?

• helix35 says:

The more people see and hear Cruz, the more they are repelled by him. Just the opposite of Trump.

5. zadatn says:

Trump 2016!! Rand Paul – wow. They didn’t like it because he’s going to the kiddie table? That’s anger right there.

• jackphatz says:

Hush now, there will be no more discussions on anger. It’s has no place in civil political society. Now, sit and be still!

sarc/

• don welch says:

jackphatz…second debate between romney and obama, peace be upon him. they got testy with each other and the women of america were up in arms. didn’t like the ‘tone’. didn’t like the ‘adversarial’ meme. didn’t like seeing men be ‘manly’ or ‘confrontational’ or ‘competitive’. can’t we all jus get along. lets go shopping for more pink shoes. the end.

• singtune says:

This actually makes more sense, because SOME of the things Rand says are like what TRUMP says~! However, Rand has “Strayed Away”from Other STRONG “Pro-America ” Positions,~i think, because of the Super PAC $$$$Backers & Handlers~! So Rand comes out looking like a “Libertarian-Conservative-Globalist”~!

6. cohibadad says:

Trump wants a mandate. He wants a crushing mandate. He is coming to Iowa City soon, the liberal bastion of Iowa, home of the gay pride parade. He is going into the heart of the enemy. He doesn’t shy away. He went to Burlington, VT, and loved every moment of the haters. He’ll do the same in Iowa City. Trump doesn’t just want to win. He. Wants. A. Mandate. Because that is how you Make America Great Again.

• TheFenian says:

There’s a gay pride parade in Iowa ? For real ? Sheesh. I must have some seriously outdated idea of that place. I thought it was a bunch of ornery farmers and sleepy main streets.

• cohibadad says:

Iowa City is said to be more liberal than San Francisco. I would guess the other university towns are more liberal than the non-university towns, but Iowa City prides itself on being over the top. Ornery farmers have been on the decline for many years with more and more land being owned by people who then lease it out for mass farming. The largest farm land owners I know have nothing to do with farming, except that they lease it out. Sleepy main streets have been slowly dying as well. My father was born in a town of about 100, my mother in a town of a few hundred, at least they were those numbers 40 years after they were born. Schools have unified to maintain numbers. I know a lot of people who still live in smaller towns, but most of them work in larger towns.

• amjean says:

I used to travel the state of Iowa for work.
          I cannot tell you the number of one horse
          towns with one or two blocks composing
          Main Street, if the town had a main street
          at all; lunches with clients at the one bar in town
          with a pool table, hamburgers from months
          old frozen patties, catsup only, no lettuce
          and tomato! It was not fun for a suburban
          gal. The fast food Dairy Queen types
          were good. The people were all very nice.

Its difficult to get a read on the entire state.
          I imagine they talk politics a lot because there
          is not a lot to do besides children’s sports
          and church socials. There are not a few of
          these towns; there are hundreds.

• cohibadad says:

yeah. lots of tiny towns. Just less than before. My cousins started the Dairy Queen in Moville. It was big news. Like entering a new century for a small town back then. I think people would rather talk about children’s sports and church socials than politics, in general, although I posted a story a while back about the car dealer service waiting area where all the old folks were talking Trump after the first debate.

• We have an openly gay mayor in Salt Lake City, UT, explain that. Put a D by his name and even Satan would get elected in most large cities in America.

• mad3703 says:

Des Moines – A lot of gay pride. Very active community.

7. conservalicious says:

Somehow I am not surprised by these results.

8. conservalicious says:

I wonder how much the crooked pollsters get paid to rig the results?

9. TheFenian says:

“New York Values” in action;

8% is still too much for this p.o.s. I look forward to him crashing and burning in Iowa and him finding his political career in ruins because of his Goldman Sachs loan fraud. New York values eh Ted ? Fk you. Go back to Canada and take your wife with you before she has another mental breakdown.

10. hocuspocus13 says:

We’re Not Goin Take It Anymore…🇺🇸

11. conservalicious says:

Trump/Sessions 2016!

12. 1321weave says:

I was having a lousy day until I read this! Like my fellow Treepers I pray it’s a true showing today and in ten months, too.

13. Trent Telenko says:

Sundance,

Very Nice bit there with the names of the failed GOP candidates under the Trump seal.

14. Arkindole says:

Ranster at 18%? Santorum at 0%? Hmmmmm.

Jebwaste definitely spiking. Throw more money on the fire lads.

15. Pops says:

Holy crap! Can I say holy? …I’d like to be a fly on the wall in Cruz’s campaign headquarters. Do they have flies in Canada?

16. bullnuke says:

The part that amazes me is Donald Trump makes campaigning look effortless. He speaks from the heart and it resonates. How many people do think would ever bond with a billionaire? He is one of them but with a bit more money, money he has worked hard for. The funny thing is his competition doesn’t know what is coming next and it scares the crap out of them. Their debate rehearsal is centered around what would The Donald say or do. He lives in their heads 24/7.
    Would love to see the look on Rove’s face when he was handed this bombshell of a poll.

• Trent Telenko says:

Trump has a frame of reference advantage.

There are no big fat cat contributors saying he has to ignore issues that are important to the general public.

• TheFenian says:

He’s got an unusual bond with us because he doesn’t pander. The night he was complaining that he’d never vet to drive a Rolls Royce again – I found myself totally sympathizing with his plight even though my car is 10 years old and is nickel n’ dining me to death. He’s just a guy. But a guy with 10billion hard earned bucks.

• R-C says:

“…he doesn’t pander…”

Such a “shame” the rest of the candidates can’t understand that one nugget of truth…they won’t be able to stop pandering, so it’s their loss. By a landslide.

• Notmeagain says:

Few people know what they really need. Once you have all you need, it’s like having all the money in the world. When you have more than what you need, what are you going to do? Buy yet another pair of pants? Eat twice as much? Trump seems to understand this.

• Big ugly deer flies that bite like you wouldn’t believe.

17. IMO says:

Cruz was the flavor of the month now he has exhausted his campaign dollars. I’ve been getting inundated with emails and calls begging for money from Canadian Cruz and his wife.
    Bye Bye Teddie

18. mcfyre2012 says:

Oh no! The evangelicals have discovered Cruz is Canadian.

19. John Galt says:

Bernie isn’t even actually trying, but Trump is pounding Cankles so hard that she is neck and neck with Bernie.

20. LOL! This must burn the Cruzers, their ‘Pure’ Candidate, in a single digit. I’m guessing, he comes across a smarmy, and his antics of late, are only reinforcing that impression.

21. zadatn says:

Can anyone vote in Iowa’s Straw Poll?

22. El Torito says:

More good news for CoC

23. El Torito says:

Right before debate? Huh… Is that odd timing? Maybe artificially low for Cruz so the splitters attack DT tonight? Are we being misled?

24. Rebel Mope says:

It looks to me they gave Rand Paul 18% so he wouldn’t quit the kiddies table. But that only leaves ¡Yeb! with 3%. Is it just me or does anyone think they gave Rand some decent numbers to keep him from quitting?

• H Hutto says:

Yeah, soon Yeb! will be getting free advertisement on the back of milk cartons. “Have you seen this candidate??” Meanwhile the Yeb! brain trust is trying to top the last genius (snort) campaign hit of the red billboard with “trump Unhinged”
      One thing for absolutely sure, since Trump entered the race, things have sure been interesting.

25. Doodahdaze says:

Bye Bye Miss American Lie.

26. sundance says:

• Doodahdaze says:

Oh No!

• cheekymeeky says:

Train kept a rollin…

“Maybe the most striking finding in this NBC/WSJ poll is the growing GOP acceptance of Trump. Back in March, only 23 percent of Republican primary voters said they could see themselves supporting the real-estate mogul. NOW THAT NUMBER STANDS AT 65 PERCENT”.

27. H Hutto says:

OK, almost 6 PM. time to ask the Lord’s blessing upon Mr. trump for clarity of mind and wisdom during the debate.

28. NJF says:

Senate Dems plan to force vote on Trump’s Muslim ban | TheHill

They’re jerks, clearly I could different words but then my comment would go to moderation. SMH

And I’m loving this poll cause it will cause splody heads on both sides of the aisle!

29. neilmdunn says:

Check my math, but I get only a total of 88% for the poll.

30. Doodahdaze says:

FOX has turned, to the dark side.

31. mad3703 says:

Does anyone know if they confirmed the users as Iowans? Meaning – Could other folks have taken the poll?

• BenY says:

I tried to take the poll and backed out, since I generally don’t allow cookies. Went back to see if they verify residency and was blocked as already being there. So, at least you can’t vote more than once. It is possible that it is an open poll?

• NJF says:

Actually all you need to do to vote multiple times is erase their cookies and/or use multiple email addresses.

Not saying people did it in this case. Typically I’ve only seen that sort of behavior among kids (teenagers/young adults). Think American idol or awards shows like the teen choice awards.

32. NJF says:

Oh man, new meme according to fox as per Paul ryan. “A brokered convention is ridiculous, but a contested convention is a possibility. ”

Trump needs to start exposing these criminals.

33. NJF says:

Bloomberg: Trump’s Birther Attack on Ted Cruz Is Landing in Iowa – Breitbart

“Joshua Green at Bloomberg writes: “In the latest Bloomberg Politics/Des Moines Register Iowa Poll, 15 percent of respondents say they are ‘bothered’” that Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) was born in Canada.”

34. tz says:

Bingo! Rand Paul, even with low numbers, is probably the closest to Trump. He should be his VP choice.

35. WeThePeople2016 says:

Interesting today that Rush didn’t come out in full force defending Cruz on the Goldman Sachs incident. He threw it in at the very minute and left out some details.

36. 1hear2learn says:

I watched the video in the See Dem results link from Sundance. I loved the opening line: “Politicians and diapers are a lot alike, they both need to be changed often for the same reasons” . Oh that phrase tickled me!

37. Dawn A says:

Love how the headline ignores Rand second place winner ! Pathetic !

38. donevoting4rinos says:

Et tu, ConservativeTreehouse? Rand Paul comes in SECOND PLACE, with twice as many votes as the Canadian, and your headline is Trump vs Cruz. It’s bad enough when MSNBC gives actual Constitutional Conservatives the shaft, but I’m noticing more and more on “our” sites, too.

39. Nick Holmes says:

More bullshit

Bogus poll sponsored by Amrerica’s Term limits:

Here’s the link for the poll:

I voted, then gave a bogus email.

after doing that I was shown a form asking me which state I was from OR TO SKIP that step.

The IOWA STRAW POLL, is just a name. I was allowed to vote.

Don’t believe me, Try it your self doing what I did!