Kevin McCarthy Drops Out of Race For Speaker of House…

Yesterday Representative Walter Jones of North Carolina asked any SoH candidate to drop out of the race if they had any embarrassing skeletons in their closet. Today, unable to find enough supportive votes, Kevin McCarthy dropped out.

There were three primary candidates being considered: Kevin McCarthy, Daniel Webster and Jason Chaffetz. However, as soon as McCarthy withdrew his name, Speaker John Boehner cancelled today’s vote.

The progressive Republican party leadership are unwilling to accept a non-GOPe name for consideration.   It appears the GOPe are going to approach Paul Ryan and request his reconsideration.

mccarthy cantor zuck

(Via Politico) […]  McCarthy will remain majority leader, the No. 2 in the unruly conference, where he will be in charge of the House floor, committees and policy. Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who mounted an aggressive bid to replace McCarthy as majority leader, will remain as majority whip.

While it wasn’t the only factor, the House Freedom Caucus’ decision to vote as a bloc was a huge blow to McCarthy’s count and his ego. Ohio Rep. Jim Jordan, who was poised to run for House majority leader, cast doubt on whether McCarthy could win the speakership. Members of the House Freedom Caucus met privately with McCarthy days before the planned vote, and threatened to overthrow him as speaker if he did not accede to their demands.

McCarthy said when the Freedom Caucus endorsed Florida Rep. Daniel Webster “that showed how tough of a hill I had to climb.”

McCarthy said he’s not sure if he will endorse a candidate for speaker, but there’s already talk about a caretaker to hold the speaker’s gavel until the end of 2016.

The leading candidates are Minnesota Rep. John Kline, a close ally of Boehner who chairs the Education and Workforce Committee; Texas Rep. Mac Thornberry, the chairman of the Armed Services Committee; Michigan Rep. Candice Miller, the chairman of the House Administration Committee and Oklahoma Rep. Tom Cole, a senior member of the Appropriations Committee; former chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee; and Rep. Greg Walden, the current chairman of the NRCC.  (read more)

cantor-virginia-primaryBoehner - Cantor- McCarthy - House-GOP-leaders-

Eric Cantor – FIRED by the electorate

John Boehner – RESIGNED due to pressure from the electorate

Kevin McCarthy – CIRCLING THE DRAIN

This entry was posted in Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Decepticons, Election 2016, Professional Idiots. Bookmark the permalink.

185 Responses to Kevin McCarthy Drops Out of Race For Speaker of House…

1. The Boss says:

What a great picture to end the article. The three losers.
    Trump is right. There’s something happening here…[channel Stephen Stills]

• coldsnap says:

Do you think they’re humming, “Stuck in the Middle with You”? Jokers, clowns… much, much worse! They deserve each other.

• PremAmerica says:

Does Trump deserve credit?

I love Cruz, but all he did was lose lose lose to the establishment.

Trump took on Fox News and blitzed them… Trump called the Club For Growth thieves. Trump launched a frontal assault on TPP, Amnesty, Iran Nuclear Deal while even solid conservatives like Ted Cruz just caved.

Trump is showing conservatives how to take on the establishment AND WIN!!!

Any doubt?? Donald Trump absolutely deserves a lot of credit for the demise of Boehner and Mccarthy!!

• Jasper says:

I’m going to respectfully disagree… The House Freedom and Liberty caucuses were formed and have been working behind the scenes prior to Trump’s media blitzkrieg, and those Reps within deserve the most credit.

• SharonKinDC says:

They deserve credit… but without Trump’s megaphone direct to vast swathes of the electorate, it is a bit like a tree falling in the forest, no one hears or sees it.

• Jasper says:

Dave Brat defeated then House Majority Leader Eric Cantor without Trump assistance (and little money) … This has been in the cards for a while.

• SharonKinDC says:

The thread wasn’t about Brat, but I’ll bite. He said himself in a radio interview, Trump supported him early when he didn’t have much support. Laura Ingraham was the link between the two, iirc. As far as his campaign goes, Brat was pretty much on his own w/o the Freedom Caucus, whatever plans/recruiting went on behind the scenes.

It’s great there is a Freedom Caucus and that they are doing what they can as a rump faction within the majority. I do not discredit them, just the opposite. At the end of the day, regardless of what they can do, what seals the deal is getting enough vocal public support. That is Trump’s specialty.

• Jasper says:

Correct; not about Brat. And no need to bite – we mostly agree. I’m using the Brat victory as an illustration that Trump isn’t the cause of the House upheaval as one poster commented. Trump is the effect. I agree that Trump is inspiring the disenfranchised, but I disagree that Trump could take any credit for the SoH turmoil. Aside, I give “talk radio” more credit for the turmoil than Trump.

The two times prior when the House conservatives tried to oust Boehner, they failed, because they were not united and poorly organized. The difference we’re seeing now is a more united front and somewhat more organized.

• FedUP says:

The House Freedom Caucus was not even in existence when Brat was running—-it was founded in 2015 after the 2014 elections—in response to the establishment republicans taking over the republican study committee.

• Carol says:

I volunteered early last year for AOSHQ DD, and a loyal volunteer. I convinced man who founded DD to cover Brat vs. Cantot race. I’m in Boston area & a loyal Mark Levin listened & heard David Brat on twice & luckily for him, he gave me precincts & sites to cover race & when I saw first one come in I sent an email to him with WOW!

It was great & I was only one covering race. Unfortunately I kept plugging away until all were in & listened to Levin & missed all the crying etc on Faux News. I put Hannity on at ten because Levin said he’d appear only to be a Happy Face on it.
              I heard Perino & all other RINOs were crying or nearly crying.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Disagree SharonK. It’s vis-a-versa.

• PremAmerica says:

I’m sorry, I never meant to take anything away from the many deserving conservatives who have been fighting for years. Only trying to answer those who suggest that Trump doesn’t deserve any.

SharonKinDC is right…. Trump has been masterful at keeping the media spotlight on the key issues……

• Jasper says:

We all agree “Trump has been masterful at keeping the media spotlight on the key issues……” I just think deflecting credit from the Reps onto Trump think would be an injustice to those Reps who actually did the dirty work and faced the music..

• smarty says:

Partly, but it was very organized, professional and shrewd tea party local leaders who got Brat vetted and worked his campaign. Brat took out Cantor.

• chili palmer says:

Not true. No tea party group, however one might define such, had anything to do with taking out Eric Cantor. There were no “professional tea party local leaders.” The job was done over a period of years by local, grassroots people from Cantor’s district who had schlepped around the state to hideous crony Republican Party of Virginia meetings, trying to get heard, desperately trying to get Eric Cantor or one of his Establishment protectors in the Va. GOP to listen. You may have heard the quote from one of Cantor’s handlers: “Eric Cantor will appear at a town hall in this district over my dead body.” Not a penny came from any so-called national tea party groups who rake in millions. In fact the odious Jenny Beth Martin of Tea Party Patriots even met with Dave Brat but rejected him, decided he wasn’t worth supporting. If one person deserves credit for Dave Brat other than Mr. Brat and many volunteers, it’s Laura Ingraham.

• I like Cruz personally too. However, he’s a poor man and that’s a problem, in chains, bogged down by his donors, strapped. He’s also clueless in foreign policy and doesn’t seem to understand the cold war is over and so are the war mongering days of US economic policy disguised as foreign policy. Carson too. Both of these men, however good and outstanding men they are, are just not seeing the big picture and would be good in some areas, but swallowed up in foreign policy and economic policy and clueless in the type of smart MANAGEMENT this mess requires.

Donald Trump is the ONLY candidate that can get USA out of the mess we are in here.

• BigMamaTEA says:

YES. The credit goes to the newer-established “Freedom Conference” and taxpaying citizens who have been helping to establish said coalition, and prop them up with daily positive feedback and insight.

ps And I’m a BIG Trump supporter too, but they are two different things, and some of us have been working since 2010 on this.

• BigMamaTEA says:

PremA, actually, Cruz was first challenging the establishment. But he was Alinskied. But Cruz is the one who then paved the way for a Trump to show up on the scene.

• Athena the Warrior says:

Mark Zuckerberg, Sheryl Sandberg and Marc Andreeson. Three techie elitists who think they are better and above regular Americans.

• suzee says:

That’s about the nicest thing you could say about these traitors. The Day of the Rope (DOTR) is coming, and these bastards will be pretty close to the front of the line.

• Mark Zuckerberg is on hormones? Looks like he’s budding BREASTS.
        I don’t like that guy, he stole his friend’s ideas and made a fortune off it and didn’t even compensate. He’s also working with government officials against the American people and even the GERMAN PEOPLE. Hot mic discussion caught Merkel making a deal with him to censor things. Zuckerberg is a bad guy. No like!!

• keebler AC says:

Zuckerberg is another snake in the grass. I hope he sees karma and ends up history like the MySpace.

• keebler AC says:

The seedy Harvard man also in his years as a student working out of his dorm calls it “Face”book for a reason. He started it up for ubiquitous matching of “courses” (yeah right) but gee whiz, it became popular because one side perk was the rating the faces of students who placed their profiles on-line.

• nightmare on k st says:

Business leaders now-a-days have to go along with the One Worlders agenda, such as Heidi Cruz getting brownie points from the CFR for merging Us Sovereignty with Canada and Mexico, or else if they stand for America, like Brendan Eich of Mozilla, the full force of Wall St Money Powers will be gunning for you. This movement is a wide ranging rebellion against the Overlords, and they come from different areas, whether Trump, Freedom Conference, Dave Brat, Rush Limbaugh or Diamond and Silk. They are all the The Resistance.

2. redlegleader says:

SD, I ran across this after reading the article. Figured others might be interested. I can confirm NONE of it: {{weblink deleted}}

#1. Firstly, as a common courtesy, anytime a link is put in a comment, there should be a sentence describing the content.

#2. Wording, such as you have used, is considered “spamming” and/or “clickbaiting” where the only way to determine the content is to visit it.

#3. For a variety of reasons, many well understood by those who read and comment here, the GotNews website is sketchy at best.

/SD

• jeans2nd says:

Cannot attest to the veracity of this site, but a few other sources and some further explanations are referenced here – http://www.conservativehq.com/node/21308. Have no idea of the motivations, but the article does say Rep. Jones supports Daniel Webster for Speaker.

• BigMamaTEA says:

I can. Richard Viguerie is an Old-school Conservative. Very much revered my Mark Levin. I’ve been a follower of his website, since I discovered he was focusing primarily on the RINOs, instead of the DemonRats. {It has always been my thinking that we needed to clean up our own house FIRST}

Here’s Richard Viguerie:

• redlegleader says:

Ooops, sorry, my bad. I do not want to upset any apple carts. Please, all, but especially you SD, accept my apologies – it WILL NOT happen again.(It’s the first time I even ran across that site, so I should have known better!!)

• Ziiggii says:

no worries, Red, ‘ol Chucky and the Treehouse, let’s just say, don’t get along (put mildly). I didn’t know that rumor was sourced to GotNews until another Treeper posted it on a different thread. I’m in NC and this rumor has been floating around for months here. Chucky has a propensity to take liberties with his stories and doesn’t have any proven track record with sources.

• manickernel says:

I think Chuck is looking for a new audience in Russia these days. At least his name came up when I translated a page a couple days ago concerning the Oregon shooter.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Are you guys talking about his affair? I’ve known for 6 months. Sad though, when I confirmed it to the best of my ability, I thought “most of them do the longer they stay there.”

• Judgy says:

You know, something that just occurred to me, is that it seems like when almost anyone on this site might completely innocently run afoul of the particular mores/ site rules valued here, I notice that most of us tend to both value the site so much, & also be of such polite, reasonably agreeable timber, that we apologize nicely, and move forward accordingly.

That seems worthy of pointing out, in that I do NOT often see such decent, grown-up behavior on many OTHER sites (yes, even more Conservative ones). From my view, it appears that often even the most innocuous tussles can quickly devolve into “Eff you guys!”, and “Don’t let the door hit ya, idjit!”.

So, at risk of sounding like a starry-eyed suck-up (which I sometimes AM, just cuz I LEARN so much here), just thought maybe I should mention that, and give a hearty “Kudos” to SD, all the mods, and the regulars/ readers alike. THANK YOU ALL for exhibiting a level of kindness, lack of egomania, and emotional intelligence that is becoming rarer & rarer in our abrasive world!

• BigMamaTEA says:

Judgy, it’s really because we are afraid of the mods and their whips!! {ha!}

My tribute to our wonderful mods. A volunteer job, I would not want to have.

• what a nice post. i found ConservativeTreehouse when i arrived from italian alps back to US it was very much a culture shock, America had changed so dramatically, which i attribute to 7 years of Obama, one of the BIG reasons i left US in the first place; and now i see is all of them, the GOPe and the entire Washington establishment. all destroying America, and being gone so long i got to see it ALL AT ONCE, not gradually if i had been living here. so it is truly quite shocking how much America has changed, or has decayed i should say. the racial labeling and skin color fetish was so repugnant and to see our borders wide open was beyond shocking. All in 7 years so drastically changed.

I refuse to own a TeLIEvision, talk radio was hard to understand, too many commercials and really didn’t know where to start. I wanted to try to catch up on US politics, I got a link in a conservative email and it linked to breitbart.com and I clicked on something there and it brought me to ConservativeTreehouse.com and the very first article was the JebMap which i studied for a week or 2 to get familiar with candidates and the US election process and changes, and their wicked plan. i actually thought i was on breitbart.com for the first 2 weeks! then i figured out it was a blog and not breitbart.com.

i learn a LOT here, had been gone for several years so i had a lot of catching up to do. i am able to do that with this site, it is clean, concise, and people are mature here. i will be donating when i get my check because i see all the devoted hard work and important work going on here.

the most valuable thing i find on this news blog is the consistency of the articles, for example: JebMap, ongoing with updates. honestly without that JebMap i don’t think we’d really have a clue as to what was going on until it was too late. and i have not found any other website that had this insight. so often other online news report something and then never hear about it again. here one day, gone the next and onto the next headline. it is hard to develop a plan of action that way. not so with Treehouse. Stories are followed up and each member’s comments bring insight that help me understand what is going on. Even the small comments others leave here, I learn from.

I LOVE DONALD TRUMP so this is a great place to celebrate Trump and bounce ideas off each other.

Treehouse clearly is THE LAST REFUGE. And Trump is America’s last hope.

Thank you everyone who graces this blog with your comments, and a very big special thanks to SUNDANCE for all the above and for America. The JebMap is instrumental in supporting Donald Trump and for him as a candidate too. Truly amazing.

• platypus says:

So what you’re saying is, … it’s safe here.

I agree – I don’t have to wonder when the shiv from behind is gonna git me.

3. regedit says:

Stupid RINOs -if they executed will of the people they would have respect-
    now they just look like fools.
    Cant even look at them
    .THEY DISGUST ME

4. PatriotKate says:

I would place my bets on Congressman Jones’ shot across the bow. The subject of McCarthy and Ellmers has been fodder in NC for some time now:

• coldsnap says:

True. Most likely the final straw. BUT, careful… enough closets to go around, and the PTB know what’s in them. Power, money and secrets rule the day. Sure glad it helped drag this “piece o'” down. though.

• PatriotKate says:

The reality is that there are likely very few of them who do not have skeletons. Most cannot have reached that level without already selling their soul. Or, if they arrived there with their soul intact, it wasn’t long before they sold it.

• NCPatrick says:

This was pretty disgusting when I first heard of Rene Baby having herself a good time in DC. She made news here in Raleigh on local talk radio when she ran initially for office; they were pushing her candidacy (even tho she is not in the Wake Co district) but within a month .. literally weeks .. they were talking on the radio that Ellmers had been a gigantic sell-out and rushed into Boehner’s arms the moment she got to DC. A total establishment gal all the way. Based on this newest semi-public revelation, I think Renee can go back to her nursing career because that is definitely not going to fly in North Carolina. It will probably have no impact on McCarthy’s career, could even enhance it, but the stupidity of an elected married woman raising eyebrows in the Capitol … I don’t think so. There is no doubt that McCarthy’s abrupt decision to get out was based on the affair .. loved it that he flew the little wife in to be with him. God, spare me the angst. Yes, kids, something is happening and we are all sick to death of their lack of character and morality. Not a truth teller among them, and it is repulsive. BTW I sent Trump a donation and today received the nicest long letter from staff thanking me for my contribution and including 5 Trump bumper stickers! I loved that.

• PatriotKate says:

NCPatrick. The sad part is this was known about Ellmers during the 2014 election cycle. It may be that it just did not get enough widespread exposure then in her district. The funny thing is NOW it’s getting widespread exposure just because of what happened today. Many people who never knew this will now. HaHa!

• Ziiggii says:

A proud Tar Heel ! Our 2 Freedom Caucus members to the House have both hit back to back home runs.

• PatriotKate says:

Ziiggii, yes you are so right. I am a HUGE fan of Walter Jones and even told my new congressman (Walker – 6th) that he should shadow Jones and follow his lead. Unfortunately, Walker has been a big disappointment.

There’s been much hope that Mark Meadows would take Senator Richard Burr. However, with all the turmoil and change in the House, my guess would be that Meadows will choose to stay put in the House. Too bad, because we really need to be rid of Burr!

• Ziiggii says:

I’ll hold my nose and keep Burr if you take Thom Tillis away; like forever!

• PatriotKate says:

Maybe Meadows will wait and take on Tillis at re-election. I agree. I can’t stand either Burr or Tillis. We really wanted Brannon. Word also has it that Brannon may make another try when Tillis is up for re-election.

• BigMamaTEA says:

Would Meadows run for Speaker? or Jones? I’d pick either one of them over the rest. Most of them are Boehner-butt-buddies, like OK Rep Tom Cole. It’s time for him to retire.

Also, anybody else remember the “secret negotiations” that Paul Ryan had with DemonRat Senator Porkchop-Patty? (D-WA) That was the where they were “monkeying” around with military retirement. (After being “selected” as VP runner, Paul Ryan let his inner RINO out.

• Ziiggii says:

I doubt either would run…. Gowdy or Jordan would be the caucus best bet and Gowdy has already said no.

• platypus says:

Here in WA state, many of us call her Senator Patty WornOutSneakers. She and Senator Maria CantVoteWell basically are representing metropolitan King County (Seattle). The rest of the state can go pound sand as far as those two are concerned.

• SharonKinDC says:

Jones non-specific remark about those w/ hidden scandals should step aside was quite important. Tactfully and well done, too. Also, McCarthy thought to bribe Rep. Jordan, who told him to get stuffed. Another nail in McCarthy’s speakership aspirations.

The thing w/ Trump, is in 140 characters, a call in to a show, or a media report on any Trump comments he gains so much interest and energy, that once he weighs in on a topic, regardless of principled efforts by others, he tips the balance. Because he has millions behind him.

Doesn’t diminish endeavors of others, nor does it make Trump the exclusive ‘rain maker’. What it does tell me, is with Trump as President, and others of good will working towards common goals, a lot of good things are likely to happen. Thank goodness!

• BigMamaTEA says:

Very well said SharonK. That is one of the reasons I want Cruz in the Sen. and I want him to challenge TurtleHead. {Please I pray that the timing works out, Amen}

5. rodney says:

Kevin McCarthy is a oligarchic tool, good riddance. His district is half Hispanic so you know where he is on immigration and border security. Then there are his ties to Silicon Valley, another den of globalists and open border supporters.

Chaffetz is no better, just a Boehner henchmen.

6. sundance says:

Thought so !!

7. MMinLamesa says:

Paul Ryan is equally unacceptable-another GOPe guy-no way we want him anywhere near the SofH job-a huge Boehner supporter.

We don’t want Webster either-Lord we really are the stupid party. Or Kline. Or ESPECIALLY Candice Miller, she’d be even worse then Boehner.

I like Brindenstine from OK-a solid conservative whom I’ve heard a number of times-great orator. We haven’t had anyone as SofH with the coconuts to fight these damn REgressives since Newt.

8. Mentalist says:

Paul Ryan:

Voted for Porkulus, Cromnibus, TARP, Auto Bailout.
    Supports Amnesty.
    Supports TPA.
    Supports renewal of Export-Import Bank.
    Got schooled by the likes of Joe Biden during the VP debate (how is that possible?).

Sorry, no thanks…

9. winky says:

Trey Gowdy threw it out there….he must be in the pack too? Is this Bush’s choice cause he is so sure he is going to steal the WH?

• manickernel says:

I don’t think he is going to go for it. He is too involved in the Benghazi investigation now. Also, Mia Love initially put him up and then swung around to Chaffetz which I take is indication he doesn’t want it. It is going to be hard for them to find anyone that will be acceptable to all.

10. R-C says:

Boehner’s machinations are transparent here. There were other candidates for the Speaker’s gavel apart from McCarthy, and yet he postpones the election “until further notice”. It seems he didn’t approve of the other candidates.

Boehner announced his resignation of both the Speaker’s gavel AND his seat in Congress. He did so in the face of a rebellion within the House republican caucus, after calculating that he would most assuredly LOSE a “Vacate the Chair” resolution action.

The meaning of this is important: By his own act of resignation, John Boehner asserted that he will not be seated in Congress under the next speaker. As such, the selection of the next Speaker of the House is simply not any of John Boehner’s business–and yet he keeps muddying the waters.

This mess in the House of Reps is one entirely of Boehner’s doing. He seems intent on continuing his one-man wrecking crusade, because now I hear Boehner has delayed his resignation so that he can further influence the selection of his replacement. Boehner’s influence is poison, and his day is done.

There can be only ONE remedy now: Boehner must be compelled to resign immediately.

It’s time to revive the resolution to Vacate the Chair.

11. regedit says:

“Republican Rep. Charlie Dent Calls For “Bipartisan Coalition” To Select New Speaker”
    are you kidding me – i thought retardation can not be infectious

12. Dixie says:

Okay, I give up. What in the world is that childish pipsqueak moonbat Mark Zuckerberg doing in the top picture with Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor and Kevin McCarthy and the other two whom I don’t know. Surely they are not accepting advice and influence from the likes of him. {Spit!}

• Jett Black says:

Yeah, who’s that in red and the guy at far right? Want to be sure I know who all the enemies are.

• Knickoftime says:

Guy on the far right is Marc Andreessen. He runs Andreessen Horowitz, a big Silicon Valley venture capital outfit. He is on the board of Facebook, and his VC fund was an original investor in FB, Twitter, Pinterest, Groupon, FourSquare, LinkedIn, and a bunch of other familiar companies. At 23 in 1995, he was co-founder and CTO of Netscape, which developed Netscape Navigator, the first commercial web browser (before IE). Sold Netscape to AOL. He was one of the group that bought Skype for $2.7B in 2009, and sold to Microsoft in 2011 for $8.5B. He endorsed Obama in 2008 and Romney in 2012.

If you like Michael Lewis books (Moneyball, The Blind Side, etc.), one of his books is called “The New, New Thing”. Andreessen is a key character. His father-in-law was one of the original real estate developers in Silicon Valley with 12M sq feet under management in 2006.

To net it out, Andreessen was present, directly involved or responsible, for the birth of a lot of the software tools Treepers use every day. (can you tell I love SV history)

• Turd Burglestein says:

Probably there to discuss his willingness to censor FB posts that are critical of the gope shills.

• sundance says:

Sheryl Sandberg (COO of Facebook) also BFF with another familar face:

It’s all connected. All of it.

• archer52 says:

That is a great picture because that shows that a bunch of very rich geeks, who couldn’t win at “horse” against a ten year old, want to rule the world. And by using Google, will affect “truth” by changing it.

Because he thinks he has the right to.

Guys like that end up on history’s ash heap.

• Jett Black says:

Lord, but at what cost? We’ve gotten started down a road trod by Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot–Bill Ayers’ fever dream. We keep pulling on the reigns to turn ‘er around, but she’s a dayum big hoss!

• coldsnap says:

Yes, it really is a great image.

Look at ALL the diversity: all the “undocumenteds”, all the women (two?), all the gay/transgender (well, ok… let’s give ’em that one)… these are the people telling us we are small, close-minded bigots?! Selling that lie, BIG-TIME!!

Yeah, I call… Megalomaniac Privilege!

• BigMamaTEA says:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

13. Tracer Round says:

What about Louis Gohmert for SoH?

Always liked him.

• archer52 says:

Good choice, but then we’d have to mop up the brains from all the establishment congressmen’s heads exploding.

They need to find an articulate speaker who can make the case to the public. Not someone like Boehner, who I think has a night job doing this gig.

(Foster Brooks for you youngsters)

• Jasper says:

Louie would be a great choice, but he burned bridges when they tried to dethrone Boehner earlier this year. Simply, he’ll never get the votes to win.

14. czarowniczy says:

“…drop out of the race if they had any embarrassing skeletons in their closet.” Well, so the regular old run-of-the-mill skeletons are more-or-less acceptable now, eh? We’re down to that.
    With a position as important as Speaker the issue of competence isn’t as important as connections and the ability to pit fight – Tip didn’t hold the position for a record 10 years through sheer personal charm.

15. RINOKiller says:

The plan Trump put together behind the scenes is working.

Meanwhile, plans B and C are underway for the Pub-Es

16. Good to see the drain isn’t stopped up yet, at least it’s flowing, albeit really slowly..

17. Autumn says:

Every one of the “leading candidates” mentioned as a replacement for Boehner, (Kline, Thornberry, Miller, Cole and Walden) has a Conservative Review rating of D or F. The GOPe will never understand why the Republican voters are so upset.

• Jasper says:

Speakerships are “awarded” solely based upon a Rep’s fund raising ability; not intelligence, oratory skills, or Constitutional wisdom. Raise the most money for your party and you are rewarded with chairmanships, leadership posts, and the ultimate prize SoH when your party wins the House… ditto for the Senate.

18. winky says:

Has Fox been covering Trump in the last few days? Have not been watching too much but I do not remember any coverage of his rally in Waterloo Iowa

• RINOKiller says:

They’re busy propping up FioRINO and RINObio.

• winky says:

Hope they are not doing this on purpose…heard that awful megyn the other night that Trump was wearing out his welcome with the media…..Is this the new thing now?…Let’s not cover Trump?

• PerryC says:

He is (wearing out his welcome)? That’s why the Fox News banishment lasted, what, four days? If anything, Trump is becoming more polished as a candidate, and he’s taking his campaign to the people. Screw the media, who cares if they’re tired of him. We don’t answer to them.

• TheTorch says:

Yes apparently Megyn and that nauseating Stirewalt have decided that the narrative of when is trump pulling out was not working, so now they move on to the new narrative which is trump has less media exposure lately and is losing his zeitgiest. I kid you not they actually were talking about this.

The biggest laugh for me though was when she talked about the Sunday shows he did not having as big a ratings for him as you would expect! One of the guests pointed out they were very good figures for Trump, but for Megyn, they were slipping!

So basically Trump gets better Sunday ratings for these shows than anyone else could, much better than usual for these shows, but its not actually a good thing, because there not as high as it should be for brand trump?

Trump Derangement Syndrome in all its glory! It was actually laugh out loud funny. These people are not only losing all credibility but they are are making themselves look utterly pathetic.

19. pumpernickel says:

Actually, I have a question about Chaffetz. I have been hearing mixed things about him. In light of the splitter strategy as the go to first choice strategy, was Chaffetz actually intended to be a splitter to break up the votes against Webster, which was then thwarted by the solid Freedom Caucus block? Just curious if that was a possibility and would explain the sudden cancellation of the vote as well.

20. dizzymissl says:

21. Arkindole says:

Daniel Webster’s (RINO, FL) name is going around today. He’s an establishmentarian also, with a HA rating around 60-70% and other conservative rankings have him at a D. Voting frequency is beyond bad and sponsor/so-sponsor is lame.

22. lovely says:

McCarthy told the press at about 9 AM that he had the votes and all was well. A few hours later there he was with his family by his side (rarely a good omen at moments like this) McCarthy says, “Yeah, well no, never mind, the party should be unified.”

Eh? What? The surprise by all the nutty LSM and representatives was real. I believe McCathy changed his mind in a few short hours or more likely had his mind changed by his betters.

I think two things are at play, McCarthy didn’t have the votes, and he is also being used as a tool to push the party unity line. Who is the party calling an outsider, who is the party all set against ? Donald Trump. Nothing has worked to derail his campaign so far. The ever dull Jeb thinks his own nomination is in the bag (after all TPTB told him not to worry) the real PTB and brighter of the bunch realize that what they thought was a large wave is actually a hurricane and they are totally unprepared for hurricane Trump.

Hell they all live in glass houses.

My best guess is that we are going to hear a lot of chatter about how this is a lesson about how the party must “come together” to save the GOP, save the country, puppy dogs and apple pie.

We will see huge Jeb love fest soon maybe even a couple of the 1% or 0% chaps dropping out to endorse Jeb and bring sanity and dignity back to the party.

Ryan is as malleable as warm clay if Jeb says jump Ryan will say how high, he is an arrogant elitist along the lines of Pelosi. Ryan has been pushed since McCarthy announced his withdrawal, Ryan will eventually graciously accept if he is the candidate of choice for POTUS in 2020 or 2024.

23. I’m for whoever Boehner doesn’t want for SOH!

24. Lulu says:

Did Someone At DHS Edit The Wikipedia Pages Of Kevin McCarthy And Renee Ellmers?

FTA:
    An Internet address originating from the Department of Homeland Security was tied to entries made on the Wikipedia pages of North Carolina Rep. Renee Ellmers and California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, alleging that the two Republicans were having an affair.

It is unclear if someone at the federal agency actually was behind the edits, which were first noted by Washington Free Beacon reporter Lachlan Markay. But both changes — McCarthy’s and Ellmers’ — show that a user at the IP address, 216.81.81.85, made them on Thursday.

That address comes from DHS’ offices in Springfield, Va.

25. winky says:

All these games they play…I do not doubt any of this…they think their BS is still working because It has for so long….The problem is that Trump supporters do not care about any of it because they are done with all the BS…

26. PerryC says:

I am SO sick of reading everywhere about how critical it is that the Republicans show that they can “govern”. This is exactly what governing is, and it’s designed to be difficult and messy sometimes. Everyone in the GOPe has bought into the idea that governing equals giving the Democrats whatever they want, oh, and stop whining about it. Listening to Shep Smith say that the level of discord in the government may be unprecedented – apparently he’s not spent much time with his American History books.

God, I can’t take these people any more. Trump is this generation’s last chance to blow up the uniparty monopoly, if he fails, we’re lost.

27. archer52 says:

I said earlier he was out. I doubted he would make it in the first place but after the Benghazi statement, arguably one of the biggest self inflicted injuries by a gaffe, I figured he was done.

Seriously, everybody must had look at him, he looked at them and all he saw was looks of doubt “This guy? Heck, he hasn’t even got the job and he shot himself in the foot! What? We couldn’t find the janitor in time? He’d win before this guy would.”

Then it is exit stage left, make a good statement- which he did- and let the drunk keep on rolling for a while. What I found offensive was how Boehner, who wonders why he’s getting kicked out, goes and does exactly what got him kicked out by shutting down the election when his guy quit.

Really? You took your alcohol soaked ball home when nobody picked you for their team? Wuss…

BTW- I watched Shepard Smith just going all Drama Queen over this, saying the country will stop functioning, the worst its been in hundreds of years, etc.

Then the congressmen got on there and looked at him like he needed a Valium. Which he does.

28. Polish Rifle says:

How about Denny Hastert?

29. archer52 says:

You see this?

Huh…. interesting IP address source.

You think you know the game they are playing, but you don’t know the game they are playing.

New world folks. Different rules, different players, different technology,

And no morals or ethics.

In the end, the old saying “the ends justify the means” seems to carry the day in politics.

30. Compwhiz 3001 says:

Aren’t there any decent RINOs left willing to take a brave stand for cronyism and Obama?

31. texan59 says:

It’s not just any week that I throw this down more than once, but this is one of ’em. Just heard this about an hour ago. 😆 😆

32. Rick says:

Marsha Black may be a good choice for Speaker of the House.
    Solid conservative record, high integrity and good communicator to unite the House and talk straight to the people. JMO not sure …. but no Webster, Chaffetz, Ryan, Rino crap for me

• Rick says:

Sorry…Marsha Blackburn R-TN…mind is faster than my typing!

• tnwahm says:

Blackburn isn’t as conservative as you think. Her rating with Conservative Review is a 72% ~C~ She backed Lamar Alexander last year. It was first rumored that Lamar would back out right before primary so that they could hand the nomination to Blackburn before the Democrats could find a decent candidate. Now the scuttle is that Lamar will not finish his term and guess who his replacement will be? None other than Blackburn.

33. Kameron Dunn says:

Remember the Young Guns? Two down (Cantor, McCarthy), now Ryan facing the gunsmoke!

34. Sentient says:

The supposed McCarthy-Ellmers affair has been floating around the internets for weeks, which probably means it’s been a open secret in DC for months. I was wondering how McCarthy could even have the chutzpah to run for Speaker. Who does he think he is, a Clinton?

35. Carol says:

I missed all the news because I was in & out of my car all afternoon. I heard part of Gohmert calling Steyn (Rush) & will try to listen again.

36. BigMamaTEA says:

Oh GAG. Daryl Isis, whoops, Issa, is on Hannity radio talking about himself running for speaker. {psst he takes MooseLimb $$$)

• BigMamaTEA says:

AND, he was in town to endorse a Rep. 1 1/2 years ago, I personally spoke with him about the fact that Phillip Kiko, was appointed to the Select Benghazi Committee, when dear Mr. Phillip, has most recently before this job been lobbying for MooseLimb interests. He blew that part off as not a problem. THAT is a serious problem.

For the final report on the 9-11 Commission, the lead Staffer for the committee monkied with info, so that IMO certain details were left out of the report.

Later, the Chairman of said commission Thomas Kean (Chairman – Republican, former Governor of New Jersey) said that there was info presented to the committee that was not in the report. STAFFERS DO MOST OF THE ACTUAL WORK. Which is why I was concerned that Boehner recommended Kiko, and Gowdy, possibly not knowing any difference based on the fact that he was a “new guy” said o.k.