Reverse the races and this would be playing 24/7 on CNN. However, specifically because it does not fit the preferred media narrative, it’s doubtful this story will reach a single national news broadcast.
Update GRAND RAPIDS (WZZM) – Grand Rapids police say they have arrested five people for their roles in an assault captured on a cell phone video July 28. The Kent County Prosecutor’s Office has authorized charges of Assault with Intent to do Great Bodily Harm less than Murder for four juveniles and a 17 year old.
Assault with Intent to do Great Bodily Harm less than Murder has a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison and a $5,000 fine. Grand Rapids Police say the investigation is still going on, and wants to thank the public for assistance in providing leads in the case.
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WZZM) – Grand Rapids police say they have identified several people seen in cell phone video assaulting a man on July 28. The case has been sent to the Kent County Prosecutor for review.
Investigators say the group of people in the video were punching and kicking a man who had been walking past around 10:15 p.m. July 28 near Monroe Ave. and Louis St. NW, not far from Rosa Parks Circle.
“If you watch the video from beginning to end, you can hear them laughing and you can hear different voices in the video,” said Sgt. Terry Dixon. Police have not yet determined a motive for the attack. The victim is an 18-year-old white man, and the attackers appear to be black. “So, if this is anything more than an assault, for example ethnic intimidation or a hate crime, we need to investigate that. We are looking a the evidence available to us right now.”
“While this is not the most heinous of crimes, the community and the Grand Rapids Police Department will not tolerate this behavior in our city,” Chief David Rahinsky said in a statement. (read more)