Pope Francis Embraces Communist Crucifix – “For me it wasn’t an offense”…

Oh goodie, Pope Francis said he interpreted Morales’ gift through the prism of Espinal’s Marxist bent and viewed it as protest art.  I wonder if he’d be similarly accepting of “piss Christ“.

(Via The Guardian) Pope Francis has said he wasn’t offended by the “communist crucifix” given to him by Bolivian president Evo Morales during his South American pilgrimage.

Morales surprised the pontiff with the unusual gift, a crucifix attached to a hammer and sickle, when Francis arrived in La Paz on Wednesday.

pope francis communist crucifix

The crucifix was a replica of one designed by a Jesuit priest, the Reverend Luís Espinal, who was tortured and killed by Bolivian paramilitary squads in 1980. Francis prayed at the site of Espinal’s assassination upon his arrival in Bolivia.

The modified crucifix immediately raised eyebrows, with some questioning whether Morales, whose socialist and anti-church rhetoric is well-known, was trying to score a questionable political point with a questionable, and possibly sacrilegious, melding of faith and ideology.

Francis, an Argentine Jesuit, said Espinal was well-known among his fellow Jesuits as a proponent of the Marxist strain of liberation theology. The Vatican opposed it, fearing that Marxists were using liberation theology’s “preferential option for the poor” as a call for armed revolution against oppressive rightwing regimes that were in power in much of Latin America in the 1970s and 1980s.

During a news conference en route home to Rome on Sunday, Francis said he interpreted Morales’ gift through the prism of Espinal’s Marxist bent and viewed it as protest art.

After taking into consideration the time in which he lived, Francis said: “I understand this work. For me it wasn’t an offense.”

Francis added that he brought the crucifix home with him. (read more)

Times they are a changin’… Looks like Pope Francis and Pope Heinous the Great are in competition of sorts…

Is The Pope Catholic_

This entry was posted in Christian Values, Communist, Cultural Marxism, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, Occupy Type Moonbats, Religion, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

115 Responses to Pope Francis Embraces Communist Crucifix – “For me it wasn’t an offense”…

1. doodahdaze says:

Sad. Too bad. Pope is a dope. But he knows which way the wind blows.

2. TwoLaine says:

At this point, it is pretty clear to me, this is part of the problem. His term is almost over too.

Having said that, believing as I do in the freedom of expression and religion, I would accept it with no words, no sign of gratitude or expression, and it would be found in the nearest on premise trash can. And I wouldn’t care, just as this man didn’t care, or was pandering to the possible hidden side of the church…

3. Dixie says:

Since I’m not Catholic, this is a serious, and not sarcastic, question:

Has there ever been a more controversial Pope?

• Sentient says:

Maybe Pope Alexander VI.

• Dixie says:

That was a long time ago: August 11, 1492 -1503
        His manners were agreeable and his appearance fascinating, but, like many other prelates of the day, his morals were far from blameless, his two dominant passions being greed of gold and love of women,…….

• Judgy says:

Hi Dixie! I’m not Catholic either, so I’m not sure what’s completely taboo to discuss, but this guy is a piece of work! A little while back, when they had just announced something he said about “climate change” on TV, I caught myself mumbling “Oh, for Pete’s sake! I hate the Pope!”.

Then I wondered if I was trying to get into hell on an Express Ticket. You can’t say you “hate the Pope”, can you? Even if he is just Obama-Lite with a fancy hat…..?

I’m pretty sure I don’t have to ADMIRE him though! Guess maybe he’s just a product of our times. Still, I now kinda hope THIS one quits too! Obama can hire him at the U.N.

• angie says:

Nah, you’re good in my humble Catholic opinion, lol.
        I don’t even know if he’s Obama-lite. They seem to march to the same drummer.

• Dixie says:

Doesn’t this make you wonder how the rest of those who chose him feel about him now? After all that time of waiting for the right color smoke, looks like that time and effort was truly wasted. Sad because he seemed like such a pleasant people person Pope in the beginning.

If this is taboo, we’re both going to hell.

• Judgy says:

Seems like the Pope was the one blowin’ smoke!

I still felt weird saying I hate the Pope though! You know, I can’t ever remember catching myself talking out loud pre-2009? LOL, maybe the Dalai-Lama’s kind of a jerk too. The Libs practically DROOL over him!

• Judgy says:

Btw, LOL at Pleasant People Person Pope! You have quite a way with words too!

• pbunyan says:

It’s o.k. to hate evil, no matter the guise.

• To me, it was the one who was so mean to Galileo Galilei. Forget his name.

• Dixie says:

The same….as best I remember from the research I did on google. I was in the middle of reading a great story on one of the links google provided when I was interrupted. I’ll try to go back and find it but you know how that is. It’s hard to backtrack.

• MTeresa says:

I am Catholic and this Pope is a nightmare.

• Cetera says:

As a Catholic, yes, there have been more controversial pontiffs. However, I don’t think there have been any more controversial in my lifetime. You also have to remember that I’m not terribly old (in body, if not in spirit).

I don’t think any Pope of my lifetime has been without controversy, however. JP2 was reviled for a long time for inviting Muslims (and Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and many other “non-Christian” religions) to Rome for a large World Day of Prayer for Peace in 1986, together with Orthodox and Protestants. There was a LOT of hubbub about that in the day, I barely remember, and was still discussed when he started the World Youth Days. JP2 was one of the most beloved popes of the last 100 years, and he caught a lot of hate over that.

The other thing to remember is that it is impossible to get a straight picture of anything regarding Catholicism (or most other Christianity) from the U.S. media. They have a bias and an agenda, and coupled with genuine ignorance, they almost never get any story or statement correct from Rome. They cherry pick and edit a lot too. You have to read the British press to start with to get an idea of what was really said, and then maybe use that to Google statements from the Vatican, or translate some Italian papers. The Italian papers still do a pretty good job of covering things and at least capturing what was actually said and the context, if for no other reason than proximity.

Certainly Francis is not terribly beloved by the Catholic conservatives. My grandfather would have had multiple apoplexies over what he is done, that I actually think fit very well with the Faith and the spirit of the law. Most do not agree, though.

Generally speaking, the Jesuits lost their way in the 60s when everyone else did here in the U.S., and have been a largely Marxist, liberation-theology-swilling group that borders on schism. Of course, one of the very best Priests I’ve ever know was also a Jesuit. They tend to be very charismatic, and dynamic speakers.

• angie says:

Oh yes, there have been more controversial Popes. My major was History. The professor who taught Renaissance and Reformation actually did his thesis in Rome doing research in the Vatican library. Best class I ever took. I wish that he had written a book.
        In my lifetime, I would have to say that besides the pope now, Paul VI getting rid of the Mass in Latin was very controversial. He was also the Pope who reinstituted Vatican II after John XXIII died. Also, supposedly, a Black mass took place in St. Paul’s Chapel in the Vatican one week into Paul IV’s reign. Malachi Martin wrote a thinly disguised book about it called Windswept House. Martin was a Vatican insider. Lots of juicy stuff.
        Having said that, I believe that most Popes have had their congregations best interests in mind and have followed God’s teachings. You know what they say about a few bad apples though…

4. angie says:

Catholic here and I think of Francis as pope as I think of Obama as president.

• Dixie says:

How did we manage to get two such destructive forces all at one time. Seems like we are doomed to me.

• angie says:

Satan

• barbi says:

The Cathollc Church in the US started the sanctuary city crap. Some nuns and priests in border towns sheltered those who said they were fleeing persecution (from Central America); then, floods of Mexicans tried saying the same thing, and as usual, you had some clerics who, in my opinion, saw their chance for the limelight and began offering “sanctuary” not to one family or two, but to more and more and more and more…and yeah, you guessed it.

• doodahdaze says:

Looks like the true colors are emerging. lets take their stakes and distribute them among the poor in the world. All their wealth must go.

• annieoakley says:

This happened to me as my little town was (and still is) overrun with Spanish speakers from everywhere thanks to the Catholic Church. I complained to the Archdiocese and was rebuffed. I quit them. Not interested in the law that protected the Church then and now crying the blues over gay marriage and birth control? (We all contributed and they ran a housing development for low income elderly that was full to overflowing with illegals.) All the citizens had to leave,

• doodahdaze says:

Yep.

5. doodahdaze says:

What about the Crucifix in Pee Pee? That OK too? About the same thing.

6. rsmith1776 says:

I strongly believe Francis, unlike Barack, is a good man. He is a very educated man, and I mean a really educated man. (Barack is a comprehensive ignoramus, he is not qualified to match ketchup and mustard on a hotdog.) Francis is sensitive, compassionate, open-minded, well-intended. His aesthetic sensitivity is remarkable.

At the same time, in terms of being a good politician (Popes cannot avoid being politicians, willy-nilly), being a cynical man in a good way (understanding how reality works), being astute in practical terms, in understanding unintended consequences of good intentions, Pope Francis is absolutely deplorable.

Rather sad to contemplate, a good man in the wrong place.

• rsmith1776 says:

PS I think that “communist crucifix” is an aesthetic abomination. Please read my positive comments on the pope as “despite…” not “because of”.

• angie says:

Educated men can be evil. I don’t think Francs is a good man.

• Celtic5 says:

Yes, he is a good man. Yes, educated men can be evil, but so can the uneducated…. It’s called “free will”. One can choose good or choose evil (actions and thoughts).
        What I find interesting is how non-Catholics react to or get all hot and bothered by this or any Pope. He is not the non-Catholics spiritual leader, so why do they pay any attention to what he says or does? Must be that anti-catholic prejudice rearing its ugly head again.

• angie says:

Francis is a head of state as well as a spiritual (cough, cough) leader. I can see why people react strongly. People from other countries cannot stand the man in the white house either.

• belle says:

Celtic5: as a Catholic, I know Francis is a good man and his heart is in the right place. I think he wants to be a pope of all people, good and bad.

• rsmith1776 says:

Angie, you are correct, and I am not even Catholic. I am not defending pope Francis’ profound stupidity in this instance – and in a number of others. I vehemently disagreed with his nonsense regarding the jihadist massacre of French satirists as being akin to somebody defending his mother’s honor.

My one disagreement with the tenor of this thread is that, in my view, Francis is not evil. He can be – likely is – weak, misguided, gullible, polite with the wrong people, provocative with the wrong people and, as in this case, deeply and embarrassingly insulting to myriads of victims of communism. He deserves of the strongest admonition. Infallible, obviously, he is not.

A spawn of Satan he isn’t either, to the meager extent I can opine. A good man prisoner of his early upbringing. A man way over his head.

I couldn’t offer Barack this excuse. He is evil, again, to the extent I, as imperfect as they come, can opine.

• Irish Eyes says:

I don’t think he’s evil, but I think his gifts and inclination lie in the role of shepherd, pastor to average people, but he’s been put into a position for which he is not suited. He seems to have no understanding of politics, economics, science (of the global warming scam). He should avoid getting entangled in those issues, stick to where his heart is. Without being evil, he seems to be furthering the cause of evil unwittingly.

As to how and why we became afflicted with this President and this Pope at the same time, I have been asking myself that. Seems like it must be God’s judgment upon us. 2 Chronicles 7:14 is my hope, if enough of us repent.

Btw, it may not have been the intent of the maker, but I can see the hammer and sickle cross as meaning that Christianity will triumph over communism, which of course it will.

• belle says:

Irish eyes: totally agree.

• I agree, Irish Eyes. That was my second reaction, the first being revulsion.

The ‘gift’ also symbolizes, intentionally or not, the 100 million innocents murdered by Communists in the 20th century, as Jesus was innocent on the cross. Genocide by starvation in Ukraine, Mao’s Great Leap Forward, Pol Pot’s massacres, communist insurgencies all over South America including Che Guevara’s… that’s just off the top of my head. The wages of atheist totalitarianism.

• Irish Eyes says:

No argument there. It’s a favorite rant of Fr. Mitch Pacwa’s on EWTN, especially in response to claims that more people have been killed in religious wars than any other. He gets quite hot under the collar about it as he rattles off the numbers you cite, then throw in abortion..

• TwoLaine says:

I share your opinions & feel your grief.

7. Ellie says:

I thought this was so disrespectful of the Bolivian president. And Pope Francis looks bewildered to me. Why would they take photographs like that? The Pope should know what’s being given as a gift before the photographer takes a picture I think. This whole thing seems weird to me.

8. This is awful, I mean this is a horrible depictation of Christ on the crucifix.. I’m shocked..

9. bodicacia says:

Practicing Catholic here. Truth be known, this Pope scares me. My Godmother thinks his true name is Peter.

• barbi says:

10. Meyer says:

Spiritual warfare.

11. jetstream says:

I think everyone is being tempted and tested to reveal true character and beliefs. From that we can know who to trust and who to ally ourselves with for whatever is coming.
    Many people have revealed themselves very clearly these past few years.

• angie says:

John Paul II railed against Liberation theology. In 1984 and 1986 then Cardinal Ratzinger warned Gustavo Gutierrez about this but, unfortunately, did not outright ban it. Liberation theology is experiencing a renaissance under pope Francis. IMO, he is both a Liberation theologist and more than likely, a Communist.

• jetstream says:

That was what I was referring to by “everyone.” Even a Pope has been tested and is revealed.

• Irish Eyes says:

Bergoglio is reputed to have opposed Liberation Theology as bishop.

Acton Institute is a good source of conservative Catholic analysis and commentary in general and on Pope Francis’ odd pronouncements. It also has a FB page.

I don’t mean to defend him all the time. In fact I am experiencing Francis Fatigue. I never did really like him and am increasingly disinclined to watch him. He always seems bored saying Mass.

• angie says:

Bergoglio is now pope. If he is opposed to Liberation Theology, he could squash it Instead, it’s thriving. He is not what he appears. A Pope is supposed to push God’s laws. He isn’t supposed to try to be everything to everyone.

12. ctmom says:

I think he scares alot of people. Keep waiting for my pastor to explain what the hell is going on but he isn’t addressing Pope Francis at all.

13. bodicacia says:

Here’s the issue. Communism is about the collective. Christianity is about the individual, in relation to salvation. There is no collective salvation in Christianity. Only individual salvation. Just as I cannot eat your dinner for you. You would not get the nutrients your body requires.

I don’t know what this Pope is playing at. It is my opinion he’s playing with fire consorting with commies.

14. nimrodman says:

Peoples’ Cube covered the story 2 days ago:

“Pope: Jesus died on the hammer and sickle for the collective”

15. shirley49 says:

Then they wonder why the Catholic Church is loosing parishioners. Has he said anything about Scotus’s ruling on gay marriage and the punishment Christians are getting. Graham and Trump are doing more then this so called Pope,

16. James F says:

Worshipping idols is ok now as long it is a hammer and sickle?

What’s next? A blasphemous representation of Christ on a swastika or muslim crescent?

17. Sam says:

Liberation theology was formulated by communists back in the late 1940s, early 1950s. It was meant to substitute communist goals for Catholic goals. The South American Jesuits fell hard for it. Pope John Paul II knew all of this since he fought against the communists. Pope Francis, a South American Jesuit, has evidently fallen for this scam of Satan too. He’s a false prophet and sadly misleads his flock. The consequences will be harsh.

18. SgtSlaughter says:

Didn’t he accept this hammer and sickle on the same day he denounced capitalism?

19. Meyer says:

Today, the Boy Scouts of America executive committee has unanimously approved to allow gay adult leaders and let individual Scout units set their own leadership policy.

20. aprilyn43 says:

So …. We have “an” anti-Christ in the “Obamanation of Desolation, aka Obama” who wears a ring with inscription, “there is no god but allah”. Then there’s Pope Francis, showing himself more and more like, well to say, “anti-Christian” … Possible “False Prophet”? The stage is set for the return of the Son of God, Jesus the Christ.
    Maranath Lord – Come Lord Jesus Come!

21. hebejg says:

hey catholics….
    THIS IS YOUR GOD.

the papacy is perhaps the biggest fallacy ever perpetrated on mankind.
    don’t like it?
    i really don’t care.
    “denial” ain’t just a river in Egypt.

• angie says:

Hey &^&*RU,
      I am a Catholic and have a firm belief in God. Until now, I have been a huge supporter of the Papacy.
      Don’t like it? I really don’t care.

• hebejg says:

i’ll pray for u as i pray for mankind.
        judging from the time it took you to respond, you obviously didn’t read the link i posted.
        nevertheless,
        when u were told to have a glass of kool-aid u bogarted the whole boda bag full.
        hell, a whole water tower full.
        so, i will RESPECTFULLY disagree with you and your faux doctrine.

• hebejg says:

i like how, outta all the other responses u chose to take offense to mine.
        must have hit u right between the eyes.

• angie says:

Your post was offensive because you attacked Catholics as a group. You know like a bigot does.
          Yes, I did read the claptrap you linked. It reminds me of Nostradamus. People looking for articles or cherry picking Scripture chapters to back up their hatred can find them.
          Thanks for the prayers. Back at you.

• hebejg says:

m’am,
            if u can just show me where i’m wrong, i’ll take it back and convert to catholicism.

• hebejg says:

and to be sure, i have fought for your right to worship as you see fit. no problem.
              but it is my duty as a follower of Jesus Christ to shine a light and witness.
              u don’t like it?
              i actually DO care.

• Menagerie says:

You are just about to land in moderation. I won’t take time to sort through your opinions, I’ll just trash them. You can respectfully state opinions but it is not your job or your right to attack people’s faith.

This post was not a Catholic bashing party.

• Menagerie says:

Your opinion is duly noted and discarded. What a masterful argument you made. It took me all of a half second to evaluate and discard it.

The office of President of the United States of America is not well represented in all of its potential, dignity, power, and responsibility by Barack Obama, in my opinion. He, and others before him, have failed or stumbled in exercising their duties. So have popes.

As Jesus Christ established the papacy, choosing as first pope a man who denied him three times, a man who once begged him to turn away from the destiny God sent him to fulfill, I think I will maintain my faith in His Church.

Many opinions are always welcomed here. Rude and offensive comments are not productive to a discussion and certainly convince no one to change their mind, so your purpose can only be provocation. Change your tone to participate in the discussion.

• hebejg says:

how did Jesus establish the papacy when the first pope was not chosen until the 1600s?
        where is the proof that Peter even made it to Rome?
        I’m not trying to end up in moderation. i’ve read the mission statement at this site and been to the Chapel in the woods and i don’t believe that anything i’ve said warrants that.

• Menagerie says:

If you choose to ignore 1600 years of documented history, starting with the rock and keys in the Bible, fine. I am not here to argue with you, don’t wish to change your mind, but you need to be respectful to others here who do not share your beliefs and opinions. That is not what you did in your comments, and that is what we are addressing.

• Menagerie, I hold the opinion that the “this” in “upon this rock…” refers to Peter’s statement — regarding who Jesus is — not to Peter himself.

I also admit I could be wrong.

• Menagerie says:

Thank you for your thoughts taqiy. This is the kind of conversation Christians should be able to have, people of differing views should be able to have. You gave me something to think about today.

22. Meyer says:

I don’t think this was coincidental:
    POTUS visits the Pope in April 2015. In June 2015 the Pope calls for action on climate change.

23. czarowniczy says:

“For me it wasn’t an offense…” Well yeah, considering so many of the Popenik’s remarks over the last year or so there’s no surprise in that. Just be thankful he wasn’t Pope instead of John Paul, Lenin would have been canonized.

24. talkaftercarefulthought says:

Over the years the only solace I’ve taken from the “ROCK STAR” united states president and the equally “rockin'” pope is that I have apparently been pretty good at reading people. Neither obama or francis have let me down by taking their office and the history behind both, including world history, seriously.

25. Deserttrek says:

not a Catholic so he is irrelevant in terms of being an authority on anything .. sad to think others will do as he says

26. Pope Francis explained:

“At the lab where he worked, Francis met one of the other women he mentions as a major influence in his life: his supervisor Ester Ballestrino. She was a Paraguayan feminist and communist militant, in her 30s, and she became a mentor to Francis. The two maintained a friendship for many years to follow.”

Makes me wonder who among the new Elite DOESN’T have a full-blown communist mentor.