It’s the DinDuNuffin’ employment law:

sharpton deblasio(New York City) In front of emotional supporters, Mayor de Blasio signed legislation Monday that will prohibit employers from inquiring about a candidate’s criminal record prior to a job offer.

“Today I see hope for people like me,” said Marilyn Scales, 52, of the Bronx, who said she never has had a full-time job because of her record for dealing heroin.

The mayor also signed legislation to step up regulation of the car wash industry. Car washes will have to obtain biannual city licenses as well as a $150,000 bond to cover costs if they are sued for wage theft.  (more)

This entry was posted in Agitprop, BGI - Black Grievance Industry, Dem Hypocrisy, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, New York, Occupy Type Moonbats, Police action, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

140 Responses to NYC Mayor De Blasio Bans Employers From Asking Criminal History On Job Applications…

1. Moishe Pipik says:

I think this will backfire. Employees will be less likely to hire someone who they suspect may have a criminal record, because now they can’t ask or research this. So people who just have unfortunate characteristics, like a gap in the resume, etc., will have a harder time finding work.

• siguiriya says:

The original newspaper article says “Under the bill, an employer could only do a background check after making a conditional job offer, and could only revoke the offer if they show the conviction is relevant to the job.” So an employer can still do a background check, but only after a “conditional” job offer. The interesting question is what would be “relevant to the job.”

• Moishe Pipik says:

Right. So it’s better–especially for a small company without many resources–to avoid even offering jobs to people who seem like they may have a criminal record.

Tell me, will this help or hurt black people looking for jobs? (Just as ADA laws made it harder for people with disabilities to get jobs)

• ytz4mee says:

“What percentage of the US population has a felony conviction?”

Up to 25% of adult black males, 6.5% of adult “non-black” males, which by definition would include latinos/hispanics. So when you include all those vicious latino gang members into the “non-black” cohort, the number of actual white males with a felony conviction is almost statistically unimportant.

• Sentient says:

A simple requirement to be able to correctly use past participles will screen out most losers of all colors. As soon as they say “I’ve went there”, “I’ve ate” or “I’ve drove” you cross them off the list for any job that requires any interaction with the public. Aw crap – I forgot about disparate impact.

• lourdes says:

BINGO you win, that’s exactly what will happen.

• doodahdaze says:

Perfect.

• Well, we know the answer isn’t outstanding morality and trustworthiness.

• Britt Moore says:

So a convicted child rapist could work at, lets say, a bank. No children there and no fraud in the persons criminal history, so therefore, a trustworthy person with access to addresses, social security numbers and oh, cash.

• upaces88 says:

This is bloody stupid! Background checks are a must!

2. bluelmo14 says:

And the exodus of businesses from NYC begins. Will deCommio be held liable when pedophiles get jobs working with kids?

On a side note, is Sharpton literally dead and we are seeing a real life weekend at Bernie’s?

3. Menagerie says:

Will he also ban litigation when children are attacked in a business bathroom by pedophiles or a customer is injured by a junkie or witnesses a little side business he shouldn’t have? I can think of a half dozen bad outcomes for business owners without even trying hard. But oh wait, they are the terrible, bad capitalists who deserve to be stripped of any profits. My bad.

• Sharon says:

I would think that banning litigation will be necessary, especially if the law applies to government employment – which is sort of funny in itself since a record involving fraud of various kinds is probably good documentation/prep for government work.

• Judgy says:

With every insufferably moronic, laughably short-sighted decision such as this one, we get closer & closer to losing masses, and masses of our jobs not to China, but to Japan! Err…..to Japan’s ROBOTS that is!

I can’t really decide which is creepier–our abundance of dull-witted, follow-the-party-line, Zero-worshipping Obozots, or the deceptively smiley-faced, shiny automatons Japan keeps doing PR demos for every other month. I guess the humanoid-looking ones, even those w/ malevolent glass eyes that seem to follow you, are still preferable to a bow-tie wearin’, convicted felon co-worker, with a “whitewashed” violent past. That is seriously what we may be heading towards even faster than expected, all b/c of boneheaded phony do-gooders who think that “repercussions” are just some new trend in prison-style rap beat-boxing methods!

How long do you think it’ll take for the most ambitious of the Lefty moonbats to figure out some way to “victimize” even our Rosie and Robbie-the-Robots, or the cute, but less-than-human appearing R2D2’s? We all know that C3PO was gay, but that’s practically passe now! Can a ROBOT be transgender? Will they be able to be held accountable for “bad programming”, or a “short circuit” mishap due to a single-robot household? I surely can’t say, but I anticipate the free entertainment that could conceivably accompany any “RGI” uprisings! 😉

• bertdilbert says:

The more expensive you make employees the greater the likelihood they will be replaced by a machine. The machine does not pay into social security, Obamacare etc.

Don’t worry, the shortfall will be made up by taxing millennials. Millennials that will not have a job due to process equipment, robotics and self driving cars and trucks. Yet they will be burdened with student debt, public debt, funding underfunded pensions and buying healthcare for those that cannot afford it. The birthrate from this group is going to drop to zero. Do you see the calamity coming?

• lorac says:

Immigrants will still have large families, because most of them now come from agricultural areas where big families were useful…. of course, that leads to further upsetting of our historical cultural balance, which supposedly was promised would never happen with immigration rules.. and in the past, we had the melting pot, now we have the “multicultural” system being pushed…. and large cultural families create larger cultural populations which further encourages non-assimilation, leading to more political power and ability to continue to intentionally upset the cultural balance.

• lorac says:

I remember growing up in the Midwest, and most businesses had a “no shirt, no shoes, no service” sign. Businesses reserved the right to turn away potential customers. In SoCal where I live now, I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a sign like that. And certainly, people go into stores, restaurants, anywhere, with dogs, big birds, bare feet, no shoes. I love pets a lot, but I don’t like the idea of a dog’s hair being blown onto my food, or sitting on a chair that the last guests could have used for their dirty feet lol

I don’t know if it’s different city/state rules (midwest to CA), or if any businesses are allowed to have signs like that anymore at all. But it sure is seeming like businesses have less power over their own places….

And with this new rule, will it be the government deciding what crimes are “relevant” to the new potential job? Will they share with the business what the person’s crime was, or will they just issue an edict that “it’s not relevant” and leave the employer in the dark about what to watch out for…..?

• Sentient says:

It’ll be less about the crime than who is disparately impacted by being rejected. A repeated history of aggravated assault shouldn’t stop someone from being a school bus driver – if they’re black or Hispanic.

4. labrat says:

Feel good legislation. Any moderately intelligent hiring manager can surreptitiously get around this law. Criminal records are public record. I would just do my own background check outside of work and never mention it at work.

• partyzantski says:

This situation is the same as in D.C…. HR can’t ask about the rascality level of any prospective employee.

Consider if you will American addiction to cable/intertubes. (color me guilty). I know people who will not answer the door for someone they don’t know, even if they have on the right shirt from a service provider. Now that this is de jure, I just don’t see how some service employees will EVER see the inside of a customer’s house again.

Consider if you will that service providers (phone, cable, electricity, gas, etc) see your home and have an opportunity to criminally reconnoiter the place, with your permission. They will see what kind of alarm system, if you have a dog, your general security awareness and the level of “take” they may find there. Customers can no longer be assured of ANY screening at all!

My advice… (especially to wimmin)… ALWAYS have someone there with you for service calls. Put away the good stuff. Be ready to hit 9-1-1. Sadly, the line employees are going to get the brunt of this, as the vast majority are decent people, looking to put in a day’s work for the king’s coin. Do not let them see any political materials or see what is on your bookshelf. Put away your family photos, too.

• ytz4mee says:

I no longer answer the door for anyone if I am home alone, unless it is someone I know AND I have invited. That list is very, VERY short.

We no longer have cable or a landline. The only reason I subscribe to the internet provider I have is because they mailed me the modem and I could do a “self-install”.

• 2x4x8 says:

Principals, Principals

Hannibal Lecter: What is the first and principal thing he does?
          Clarice Starling: Anger …. Social Acceptance …… Sexual Frustrations
          Hannibal Lecter: No! he covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet? We covet by the things we see everyday.

• Thank you. Any employer can do a criminal history check before making a job offer.

This reminds me of how, in NYC, the news media can’t describe a suspected criminal by race – even when they’re asking for the publics’ help How dumb is that?.

5. RJ says:

Having been an employer for over 35 years, being a small business owner, I have had, hired former convicts. The last one I knowingly hired was in 1981 (if memory is accurate). I fired the guy (on parole from Texas, a house robber, young kid) after 3 months for many reasons. Swore never to hire another ex-con due to his parole officer’s attitude toward small business…and I haven’t since!

DeBlasio is an idiot. I don’t want ex-cons working in my immediate world for multiple reasons. Each business owner/system needs to make its own policy in this matter. There is no place for government to intrude on these decisions.

All you lawyers who think otherwise can go pound sand…business will find (and already has..) a way to know who they are hiring.

Maybe DeBlasio will have his government hire a serial child molester and one of his relatives will discover some realities whereupon he might change his attitude…but I doubt it. What is the recidivism rate in New York for those who went to the big house…all those innocent convicts?

Yea, I still got a bad taste on this issue, and I have valid reasons to support it!

• Mentalist says:

I agree with you, each business should be left to set its own policies as it pertains to personnel, not the government. For one thing, DeBlasio and social justice liberals like him do not have to bear the consequences of laws such as these. If an employee steals the property of a customer, that business or company has to deal with the fallout (bad reviews, lost of customers, etc) – not DeBlasio. If an employee happens to harm, injure, or even kill someone while on the job (I personally know where this has happened), that company or business has the deal with the possible repercussions (lost of customers, lawsuits, etc) – not DeBlasio.

• partyzantski says:

DiCommieo has just shifted all blame onto the evil bourgoise & kulak class, all the liability. he collects all the political good will, and none of the blowback.

I will never start a business in NYC. They talk about freedom of association, I want freedom FROM association.

• My company hires retired NYPD officers as security. There are now two extra sets of card access doors.Two reasons: anti-s emetic behavior when we moved into our new building in mid-town and the janitorial company had some uniforms stolen…. Several people were robbed by people using these uniforms to get into the building. Thank God no one was more seriously hurt.

• ytz4mee says:

People with a criminal history tend to have their history because of a history of poor choices.

That track record of poor choices tends to not “improve” with “correction” and doesn’t magically disappear because they have a “straight” job.

• bertdilbert says:

“Marilyn Scales, 52, of the Bronx, who said she never has had a full-time job because of her record for dealing heroin.”

She never had a full time job because no employer hiring her on part time basis felt she was worth promoting to a full time position. Employers are able to recognize who is a valuable asset to them and treat them better so they will continue to be an asset.

It is not her criminal record that kept her from getting a full time job, it was her job performance, or lack thereof.

• bertdilbert says:

I hired a guy out of prison whom the government paid for his schooling to become qualified. He spent youth in juvie and graduated to prison. He had a gang past and had social troubles in dealing with people. He happened to be Mexican.

The first time I regretted doing this was when I handed him an electric hand drill and the way he held it, it was the first time in his life he held a power tool at age 25. I had a black guy working for me as well who was a great employee and got along with everyone. One day the Mexican pulled a knife on the black guy…

So yeah, I am with you, never again, at least on violent crimes.

I have had good luck with ex con meth drug dealers who happened to be white.

I asked OSHA about this kind of thing and he said if it was a criminal act it was not considered a workplace injury. Thus not reportable to them. I would assume then that the injured employee would then not be entitled to medical or workers comp from the employer.

That said, the injured employee is likely going to seek compensation from somebody which puts the employer at risk of being sued. General liability protects from 3rd party. Don’t think your employees on your property is considered 3rd party.

Forcing employers to go in blind as to criminal past opens up a whole can of worms. The question is can the city NY be held liable by doing this should things go awry?

6. RJ says:

I guess I’m not the only one using sexual predators as an example, having just read the earlier posts…which tells you just how angry I am over this issue!

7. Mentalist says:

Anyone ever notice that do-good socialists like De Blasio (aka Warren Wilhelm) never, ever place the onus on those they claim to represent to abstain from criminal behavior? Folks it’s not rocket science – even economist Thomas Sowell has said that a person who has contact with the criminal justice system during their lives as direct result of their choices will limit the opportunities available to them

Exactly.
      This has to do with choices and outcomes – not skin color.

If any corporation has elected to NOT do background checks, I elect to not do business with that corporation – and I don’t care what the skin color is of their employee they think they can send to my house.

• RJ says:

The game being played in prisons all over our country is whether to punish or to rehabilitate the convict. The convicts know this. We have our television shows going into as many prisons as possible. Note the recent escape from the Clinton Pen (I find the name of this pen very funny!).

Have we seen the warden come before the cameras? Have we heard about all those prison programs on rehabbing these people? Do we really know about the daily lives of these people?

Is going to a prison like being in college for criminals? Are muslim radicals working to gain new recruits in our prisons? I do not say every person who goes to prison comes out a career criminal, but I do say our “recidivism rate” demonstrates a “failure to communicate” in many ways.

Haters of America have the national microphone…at this time in our history. How long they hold onto this will depend on events.

DeBlasio has a twisted agenda due to those issues within his own mind from his life experiences. He needs a good shrink, much like Barack and Hillary.,

It ain’t gonna happen.

• ytz4mee says:

ADD: 2% of the population creates 95% of the havoc and mayhem.
      So over it.

8. f2000 says:

So… Bernie Madoff has a shot at getting a job with a Wall Street firm when he gets out?

• dginga says:

No, he does not, because there isn’t an insurance company in the world that will bond Madoff, and everyone who works in the financial services industry must be able to ve bonded.

I suspect De Blasio got a lot of campaign contributions from tort lawyers, and they will be cashing in when the poor, put-upon “ex”-criminals sue companies for not hiring them. I can’t believe deBlasio is so determined to destroy the economy in NYC.

• Do all bank employees have to be bonded? I’m thinking about the telephone customer service reps. They have access to account numbers, SS numbers, account balances, addresses, etc.

9. kinthenorthwest says:

This is going oh so back fire on them, in so many many ways

10. John Galt says:

Where will Dindu Nuffins work first: the bank or the pharmacy?

• Totally Domestic says:

I didn’t know that the Dindu Nuffins were interested in a job. But, hey, in a bank or pharmacy, perhaps. At least temporarily.

• bofh says:

I can’t wait for the first lawsuit of DinduNuffin vs. Goldman-Sachs for refusing to hire him as an account exec.

11. Mentalist says:

Sundance,

Please, please, please stop with all the pictures with Al Sharpton. He reminds me of a human Pez dispenser.

• John Galt says:

Norman Rockwell – The Organ Grinder

• i was thinking he looks like a puppet….big FAT box head attached to a dangling shriveled skeleton excuse for a body. i seriously wonder what kind of tissue eating ailment or disease he might have….i’ve seen pics of him from the backside and i swear you can see his shoulder blades poking through his clothes…. or maybe he smoked cracked with marion barry to lose the weight?

• dginga says:

Sharpton had gastric bypass surgery which basically makes it impossible to eat more than a handful of anything. This is why people who have gastric bypass surgery can lose 100 pounds in a matter of a few months, but then need to have skin removal surgery later on because they lose weight so fast that their skin can’t shrink fast enough. If they don’t have it removed it just hangs on them in folds.

My neighbor had this done because she thought she was fat, and couldn’t stick to a diet. Now she weighs about 100 pounds and can’t gain because she can’t eat more than 4 oz. of anything, or a few crackers at any sitting.

12. maria Goitia says:

This is the best thing that can happen to the civil rights movement.
    Many black and Hispanic want to work
    Due to their criminal history
    Unfortunately they are not able to succeed.
    Making them feel,helpless,lacking confidences and being an outcast in society eyes. Falling back due to no one want to hire them.

Really?

The Verizon contractor in our area doesn’t do “background checks” and hires black males.

NO ONE lets them into their homes. I cancelled my Verizon service rather than admit a black male with an unknown criminal history into my home. Same-same with the black male “customer service rep” they hired to go door to door to ask if people were happy with their service – (because so many people had cancelled their service) & NO ONE answered the door.

They then hired a white young female to accompany him, and only about 50% of the people answered their doors. They ambushed me in my driveway, walking to my car, and I made it very very clear I was not pleased.

Verizon is bleeding customers because of their “criminal friendly/AA” policies.

There is no business I need that is worth substituting my personal safety for.

NONE.

• PatriotUSA says:

You are a fool, Maria Goitia. If you are a criminal your history SHOULD be scrutinized and skin color does NOT matter here. This puts an unnecessary burden and risk on the business and then on me, the customer. Why should I and others be put at risk because some criminal made some bad decisions in their past. This is no more than a group hug, unicorn fart, drum circle, peace, love, dope, dumb hippie feel good regulation. It is tough that some criminals who did minor crimes pay a heavy price. Maybe you will sing a different tune when the carpet shagger or communications person robs you later, or worse after you let them in your home. No thanks and this is total stupidity.

• barbi says:

Tooooooooo bad, maria. You did the crime, you pay. No hire for you. Get lost. Easy to get around a bad law.

• ytz4mee says:

I guess according to OFA, “civil rights” now means the “right to behave uncivilly”.

13. Sandra says:

What’s the point of the conditional job offer then ? So NYC can punish employers who decide they’d rather not hire an armed robber, murderer, or heroin dealer ?

• ytz4mee says:

This will just drive more of the economy in NYC underground. It’s already bad, now it’s just going to go to ELEVENTY.

No one in NYC lets a single black man into their homes/apt, so they have to have a white “minder” – employment costs are going to double. When the National Grid guy came to solve my complaint that they kept cutting off our gas service to our apt, he came with a white male “minder”. That was NOT a “two person” call-out. Even at that, the only reason I let them in my apt was because my husband happened to be up for the weekend visiting and arrived early on Friday. Otherwise- NO.

• Jason says:

Well to play devils advocate, that is the definition of racism. Also I’m not sure why you don’t think a white male stranger could do harm…but at the same time I think any man(regardless of race) should worry about entering a woman’s domicile since we live in a society where it’s easy for women to false accuse. At work I always make sure there are witness when I have to interact with female employees.

• ytz4mee says:

I am quite confident that the reality on the ground as it exists in NYC and other places does fit the definition of “racism”.

I am not discussing the politically correct world, I am discussing the REAL world and the choices people already make.

Also I’m not sure why you don’t think a white male stranger could do harm

You didn’t read my comments:

Verizon and National Grid are two companies that have elected to have black workers assigned with white minders – but it doesn’t matter. As I mentioned in my comment, the only reason I let them into my apartment is because my husband happened to be there. If I had been alone, or with my daughter, no way.

However, both of these corporations are practicing de facto racism, because they recognize the reluctance/refusal of many of their customers to open their doors to black men. That’s a reality fact. Their solution is to pair them with whites – male or female. That’s not a “solution”. There is the “official Narrative” and then there is the reality of choices vis-a-vis their safety and their choices of association that they make in the real world. There is no amount of “legislation, diktaks or edicts” that di Blasio or teh Won or their fellow travellers can make up or demand that is going to change that behavior. In fact, the more they stamp their feet and “equalize” the jobs field, housing field, etc, the worse this behavior is going to get. People are self-segregating at an alarming pace.

There are lots of white males who come door to door in our neigborhood – usually soliciting for lawn care or construction work, but I don’t open the door for them, either.
          I don’t even open the door for the police. The last time the police were at my door to canvass, I exited my rear door and met them in the driveway where our interaction could be seen in full view of the neighbors and the security cameras. No one without an express invitation gets into my home unless they have a warrant.

NO one.

14. jetstream says:

Could it be that the recent SCOTUS decisions and legislation passed by the likes of DeBlasio et al. are providing a solution to this dire emergency?

15. Angela Ortiz says:

Not all criminals are child molesters.
    Many young Black and Hispanic are taken into the abyss of the system.
    How many are innocent after spending numerous of years, Incarcerated for a crime they didn’t committed????
    Because of their criminal record.
    Many are innocent …just not able to prove their innocents.

• WeeWeed says:

Please. Learn English.

• ytz4mee says:

Right. Just all innocent li’l chiles. Dindunuffins. Aspiring Afronauts.

• doodahdaze says:

I understand.

• Millwright says:

AO, Spent my last decade of employment in a prison with population of over 600 IMs. During that period I can confidently state over 80% of the prisoners I routinely encountered claimed to be innocent. Even ones serving repeat sentences ! Yes, ‘mistakes’ can happen, but far more often they mean the inmate was guilty of crimes, (sometimes much worse) than the one(s) for which they were convicted. There’s also the common practice of someone being paid to do “easy time” by pleading to a crime they didn’t commit in order to protect someone else whose record would bring a harsher sentence.

• maggiemoowho says:

Total BS!!!

• realitycheck says:

“Many young Black and Hispanic are taken into the abyss of the system.” You need to restate that. It should read Many Black and Hispanic youth gleefully commit crimes which allows them to be in the abyss of the system with their friends.

“How many are innocent after spending numerous of years” …… Very very very few. Most should be in prison for even more years but, because of prison overcrowding (because of the crimes being committed) they are released to again prey on society.

“Omg!!!! Stop the system from taking our youth incarcerating them, come out cannot live a productive life.’ ….. OMG!!!!!, stop raising future criminals and teach YOUR youth how to WORK and be productive members of society. The system is there to protect citizens from the criminals YOU do not instill with proper values. The system (almost) NEVER goes after an innocent youth and you are FOS.

BTW: Do you always get this whiny or is it especially bad just before the monthly EBT transfer happens?

• dizzymissl says:

If they are excellent students and don’t get into any trouble, they will be fine Angela. It’s pretty simple.

• PatriotUSA says:

Get lost Angela.

Maybe you and Maria can go back to school and get an education or learn a trade, at least learn to proper english. I am sick and tired of supporting leeches and losers. Many of our youth are good, solid up and coming people and some make a mess out of their lives. Plenty of other crimes other than child molesting and Donald Trump was spot on with his comments, like him or not, really does not matter. What he said about illegal alien invaders from ‘MESSICO’ was quite accurate. Better yet, maybe you and Maria need to get the heck out of the USA. It is a short swim across the river or walk this time of year.

• bertdilbert says:

“Incarcerated for a crime they didn’t committed????”

Crime in progress!

• bertdilbert says:

We may have solved the criminal background check. Along with the application have them write out an essay as to why your company should hire them. When the applicant shows an inability to communicate and commits serious errors, round file the application.

• Chewbarkah says:

Hmm…your talking points are the same as Maria Goiter’s. Split personality or paid trolls?

• ytz4mee says:

Same IP that is listed as sending spam and “malicious” e-mail (ie: embedding viruses and malware). Could be same person (highly likely) or just another troll colleague working in same OFA bucket shop.

Clearly talking points have been established, and the PC Flying Monkey Brigade have been dispatched.

• Concerned says:

In addition to the nonsense about “innocents”, there’s the nonsense about not being able to live a productive life post-incarceration. It’s not impossible to get a job even with background checks, some businesses don’t even do them, some only go back a certain number of years. Take the jobs you can get and move forward from that point. Stop committing crimes, stop hanging out with shady people, just work, pay your bills, and be a good citizen. It’s not rocket science.

16. doodahdaze says:

17. lorac says:

Nothing would stop an employer from simply asking the question if they have ever been arrested and why in an interview. Sorry but employers have a right to know if the potential employee has a criminal history. It is up to the employer if they want to hire someone who say stole from someone or asaulted someone. In PA you can just log on to the PA judicial site and type in the persons name to get that information. You can also check on Megan’s law.

• dginga says:

Lorac, you are absolutely wrong about that. Now in NYC if a prospective employer asks an applicant if they have a criminal record (most employment applications have an area that says, “Have you ever been CONVICTED of a felony?”) and the applicant answers yes, and the company does not hire the applicant FOR ANY REASON the door is open for the applicant to sue on the grounds that they are being discriminated against for having a criminal record. At the very best companies will spend a fortune on nonsense suits. At worst they will lose the suits and either have to hire the ex-felon or pay them an exorbitant amount of money or both.

• jackphatz says:

Employment agencies will now be tasked to weed out the criminal element. Here in So Ohio that is usually the case, that and it also helped eliminate the illegals (very tough sheriff). Many companies around here do not hire directly. It is all done through agencies. I don’t agree with that but I also don’t run a business either.

• lorac says:

helped eliminate the illegals

On Hannity tonight, he interviewed Chris Christie for the whole hour. Christie said (as so many do), that we can’t get rid of the illegals here, because no way do we have the manpower or money to deport them all. I wish louder voices would stand up and deny that strawman. If the attractants (is that a word? lol) were gone (jobs, free non-emergency medical care*, free schooling, benefits, etc), they’d head home or somewhere else on their own.

*I don’t believe all states have this, but now in CA we have “presumptive Medi-cal. If you have no insurance, the medical provider will sign you up for this. It used to be that you applied for Medi-cal, and in about 2 months it would either be awarded or denied. Now they get presumptive Medi-cal, which gives them 2 free months of full Medi-cal while their application is checked out. You can have presumptive Medi-cal for 2 months once a year.

*There are only about 6-7 screening questions for presumptive Medi-cal. Not one is about citizenship. So illegals can have taxpayer-funded full-coverage Medi-cal for 2 months each year.

Christie also said (as I’ve heard others say), that we’ve provided education to them up to grade 12, so it’s not fair to not let them attend college, too. But they never stop to think that they’re perpetuating the illegal person’s problem – now they’ll have even more education which they can’t use to get a job, because they’re not a citizen. Or perhaps it’s intentional, getting ready for a future fight based on the logic, “we’ve allowed them to get college degrees, and now we’re going to tell them they can’t have a job, that’s not fair!”

• lorac says:

Especially since they can’t ask for the record to be checked UNTIL they given a conditional offer. Meaning, you are willing to hire them, but the only new information between then and declining to hire them, is the criminal record check. Kind of a set up, I’d say!

• partyzantski says:

Perhaps companies will now create legal entities outside NYC that the applicants ostensibly apply to, and interview with…. then if hired, get assigned to NYC branch of the widget & bullwhip manufacturer.

18. Mentalist says:

BTW, we have this mess in Baltimore (Ban the Box) courtesy of Councilman Nick Mosby.

• Sentient says:

Congressman Chief Keef Ellison up here in Minneapolis is also a big proponent in wanting to keep employers in the dark about potential employees’ histories. What they can’t achieve legislatively they’ll try to accomplish through the courts.

19. Millwright says:

I can’t see this “feel good” bit of legislative crapola having any chance of achieving its proclaimed objectives. People everywhere, ( let alone the NYC metro area ) are increasingly suspicious of any/all service workers wishing to enter their residences.

20. True Colors says:

Lots of reasons why this is a terrible idea.

First of all, they are trying to increase the volume of convicted criminals into the workplace. This puts innocent people at greater risk.

Also, background checks are not free. Most employers generally have to pay a 3rd party service for these checks. The rest of the hiring process is not free either. Time spent on interviews and all the rest eat up lots of time and money.

One of the best ways to minimize all of that is to eliminate flawed candidates at the beginning who are ultimately doomed to fail anyway. That will obviously cut out unnecessary interviews and background checks.

Last point — larger companies with branch locations inside and outside of NYC city will have a built in loophole. For example, Verizon retail stores in NYC can say that their employees sometimes have to pick up shifts at stores outside of NYC, so therefore, it is okay to ask candidates up fron about their criminal pasts. But on the other hand, smaller mom and pop companies which are based in NYC only will probably not have any loophole to help them get out of this new law.

TC

• lorac says:

…. until disparate impact laws come after them lol

21. Worc1 says:

Call me cynical but I’m betting the city is exempt from this new law. Funny how that works where ruling progressives believe a law is just great for thee not for me. But now the establishment GOP is getting in on the game in the case of Obamacare and other workplace laws that don’t apply to congress or congress critters. This ought to help with businesses fleeing NYC for greener, as in the color of money, pastures. Hasn’t De Blasio, aka Warren Wilhelm, ever heard of the internet one of the reasons the cities employers are able to flee? This fits right in with his Marxist ideals. http://www.newsmax.com/BillDonohue/NY-Mayor-Blasio-Catholic/2013/10/01/id/528638/

• True Colors says:

You beat me to it. The city of New York will exempt themselves from this burden that they are forcing on everyone else.

The U.S congress has done this exact same thing for years. They have come up with all varieties of labor laws which are supposedly so great, but yet, Congress refuses to abide by their own laws. Our federal government refuses to eat their own cooking!

Rush Limbaugh mentioned this in one of his books. He said imagine if some leader of a foreign country declared that the laws there applied to wveryone by himself. That would be wrong, correct?

TC

22. Mr.Right says:

The MAFIA lives!

(And the concept that an employer is denied the opportunity to hire the best candidate is absolutely rancid… is this going to happen for private contractors too ?)

New York is so rotten. On one end you have the worse of capitalism, and to balance it out (instead of controlling corruption) they sprinkle it all with communist ideas.

Cant wait for new york hotels to be full of ex murderer, rapist, and pedophiles….

Sad thing is, those child molesters will take the job from upstanding citizens.
    You lived an exemplary life? it doesn;t matter in new york, you are not more desirable to an employer then a convicted murderer…

23. I only hope this is not a pilot program. We all know how those end up.

24. dave says:

every people deserves a second chance 🙂 and maybe there have kids Playgroup Singapore

• wondering999 says:

Dave, went to your link. Would love to tour your school…. the local Montessoris are outstanding. Best of luck to Playgroup Singapore.

• wondering999 says:

About second chances, employers and customers have the right to know who they are giving a second chance to, and to evaluate their risks. I worked for a trusting professional who hired two people without checking their histories… and wow did this person get a surprise when police came in one day and handcuffed the office manager (a pretty redhead who made a big deal out of how often she went to church), who had apparently ripped off another professional in another state for megabucks, and would likely have done the same at our location, given a few more months.

The un-investigated receptionist (college graduate by the way, very cute) was fired after it turned out she had been paying her cable bill with customer credit card numbers.

Big lesson for everyone, even those of us who didn’t own the business and only contracted there. Yikes.

• ytz4mee says:

I ended up managing a pediatric practice because my friend (one of the pediatricians) was the victim of embezzlement from a new hire that they didn’t do background checks on … turned out she had a history of the same behavior in different states AND in Ireland…. she skipped town when it looked like she was going to be found out… the entire process of dealing with the police, bank fraud investigators, etc … it was exhausting, expensive and time consuming. Through the course of the investigation, it was also uncovered that the cleaning lady was working using someone else’s stolen ID & SSN, and had created huge legal problems for the person with the stolen identity … the cleaning lady broke out her sob story how she “just wanted to work”, but failed to appreciate – or show any concern for – the person whose ID she stole and the grief she created for them.

Ugly lesson.

25. John Galt says:

They need to change the name. The Duke of York promoted slavery. See pages 10 and 11.

I propose Sharpton City

26. maggiemoowho says:

Employers need to have someone do simple mugshot & criminal public record searches on every person who makes an appt. for an interview. It’s not a background check, its just a simple google search. Nobody would know if a company checked or not.

Employers could also require a longer work history on the application. Instead of 4-5 yrs, make it 7-8 yrs with references. If someone is an ex-con then it should show up in their work history, unless they lie and then they can be fired.
    Personally, I would leave the Dictatorship that runs New York and move back to the United States.

• Sentenza says:

Ask for their entire adult work history and if there’s an unexplained gap, round file the application.

• ytz4mee says:

As was mentioned before, if the applicant is turned down for any reason, having a felony conviction can open the door to a lawsuit for discriminatory/disparate impact.

• maggiemoowho says:

Businesses just need to move out of that disgusting state and let it go bankrupt, let the people who vote these azzholes in, live there and suffer.

• doodahdaze says:

You have to protect yourself with the job description too.

• Concerned says:

That’s right. Every job description should include the possibility of handling money and interacting with kids.

• partyzantski says:

If they work in prison, don’t they get some stipend?
      They would have to cut them a 1099 in that case, right?
      If so, maybe tax returns will become part of the applicant process.

The prison industries, should they appear on a resume, would be a tip off.

27. archer52 says:

Heck, why bother? The people knew their mayor was a commie and still voted him in. You get what you pay for bud.

As for hiring felons, ask Miami and Detroit PD how that worked out as their agencies rotted internally from a hiring effort in the seventies and eighties.

I had a LT who was from Detroit, and he applied there back in the late seventies. They said he was wrong race, wrong sex as they were trying to become more “affirmative” in their hiring practices. They hired felons as long as the rest fit the criteria. Gave them police powers.

He told me decades later, there was a huge dust up over police stealing from drug dealers and warrant services, even at crime scenes. Most of the people who got in trouble were older veterans- hired in the late seventies and eighties. Apparently still going on.

reap=sow

28. czarowniczy says:

I’m betting this is ‘feel good’ legislation rather than anything substantive. For example. on the ‘where have you lived/worked’ in the past if there;’s a stretch where the applicant’s address is a PO box in some city that houses a state prison – red light.

It also only prevents the asking about the applicant’s criminal history on the application – any secondary screening agency requirements, such as bonding, will catch it. This is NYC where flocks of tort lawyers circle the city like vultures, just about everyone’s insured and the insurance companies won’t like the city ordering them to take losses by funding the foibles of fpolks who’d otherwise be disqualified from the job. Someone convicted of an economic crime working on Wall Street? Someone convicted of assault working as a security guard? They’d have to establish a fast lane at the civil court.

Most good HR people can find out if an applicant has a criminal past and find an unrelated way to remove that person from the lineup. I’d be more worried had DeBlasio had pushed employers having to totally ignore an applicant’s criminal past PERIOD, all the way from application to hiring. That may be in the offing though.

• ytz4mee says:

Hey, an audit of the extremely dysfunctional MATA system here in DC showed “no show” felons being hired for positions they were in no way even remotely qualified to do. I am sure the same happens in NYC, this will just elevate it to eleventy. Sharptongue and company have to keep the restive footsoldiers happy somehow.

29. Chewbarkah says:

The whole thing is an attorney enrichment program. Enriched attorneys donate to Mayors.
    Lawsuits and enforcement actions for “illegally” asking or checking into criminal backgrounds.
    Lawsuits and enforcement for conspiring to get around the ban on checking.
    Lawsuits and enforcement actions claiming disparate impact when the scheme inevitably doesn’t work. (Felons = 25% of a group’s members, but a business doesn’t have 25% felon employees).
    Lawsuits for not hiring someone based on faulty information.
    Lawsuits for withdrawing job offers on basis that the felonies were too long ago, or irrelevant (This job was at a little girls’ school and my client was only convicted of molesting little boys, therefore give him $10 million in damages.)
    Lawsuits about the criteria used to say which crimes justify not hiring for which jobs.
    Lawsuits against employers by injured, robbed, raped, murdered co-workers of felons.
    Lawsuits for firing felons for injuring, robbing, raping, murdering co-workers.
    Lawsuits against business owners when felon employees attack customers, clients, by-standers.
    Lawsuits by customers for faulty work done by criminals.
    Lawsuits over accidents caused by drugs dealers and drunks while on the job.
    Lawsuits by employers challenging the whole farce as an unconstitutional shakedown and/or RICO conspiracy.
    Lawyers are required on both sides of all these items. Massive fees and contingency awards.
    It’s an employment bonanza for lawyers. For everyone else, employment is kaput.

30. Mom Sees All says:

Idiot.

31. Jersey Beach says:

I don’t believe in quotas. America was founded on a philosophy of individual rights, not group rights.

– Clarence Thomas

In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law … That would lead to anarchy. An individual who breaks a law that his conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for law.

– Martin Luther King, Jr.

One bold era in the life of an individual can change the course of civilization. (Does this remind everyone here of someone?)

– Dennis Ruane

32. lourdes says:

This ploy is just a smoke and mirror routine by the major it pacifies the criminals …for now. In reality it means nothing an employer will hire who they want. A person usually with a criminal history, has low to no education. Right there will be the give away, if the applicant cannot write a resume and a cover letter, or cannot speak properly in a job interview those will be the clues.