Oh, Say, Does That Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave?

flag 1Friday evening I took my Stars and Stripes in from the front porch as I do every night, but everything felt different and each movement was conscious as I realized I might not put it out again.

Yesterday morning I came to some sad clarity as I thought through the Pledge of Allegiance:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America,

and to the Republic for which it stands:

unfortunately,  the Republic for which it stands is in tatters – separation of powers only an ideal; representative government a Potemkin facade; We, the People…just a memory

one nation:

hardly, having been thoroughly Balkanized by the ruling class whose goal is buttressed by minimal and selective enforcement of immigration laws

...under God:

Not.

By the way, it was In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, (that) President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words “under God,” creating the 31-word pledge we say today. (I don’t remember the White House being lit up with crosses the following day)

...indivisible:

that which was thus described no longer exists as such. Its Constitution is no longer a practical reference. Its history is being dismantled. Its foundations are untended – and that doesn’t matter as much as we might think since there is little left for them to support

…with liberty and justice for all:

except for non-minorities, the Baltimore Six,  officers who are drummed out of the military because they serve faithfully according to their oaths, American employees made to train their foreign replacements, anyone targeted by the IRS, etc.

flag 4

It’s pretty simple in my thoughts at the moment. Flying the Stars and Stripes can surely still be done as a memorial and a reflection of history but it cannot reasonably be done as reflecting a present reality to celebrate or defend.

This flag was not created to just be a memory. It was a vibrant representation of something wonderful, something unique, something worth dying for. Personally, I will not fly my flag as a memorial.

Can it be flown as it was flown in the night its song was written?  Can it be flown as a fragile, fluttering symbol of what might be? Can it be flown in memoriam, in the way that my late husband’s yard-work jacket still hangs where he left it in the garage?

Before departing from a ravaged Washington, British soldiers had arrested Dr. William Beanes of Upper Marlboro, Maryland, on the charge that he was responsible for the arrests of British stragglers and deserters during the campaign to attack the nation’s capital.  They subsequently imprisoned him on a British flag 7warship.

Friends of Dr. Beanes asked Georgetown lawyer Francis Scott Key to join John S. Skinner, the U.S. government’s agent for dealing with British forces in the Chesapeake, and help secure the release of the civilian prisoner.  They were successful; however, the British feared that Key and Skinner would divulge their plans for attacking Baltimore, and so they detained the two men aboard a truce ship for the duration of the battle. Key thus became an eyewitness to the bombardment of Fort McHenry.

When he saw “by the dawn’s early light” of September 14, 1814, that the American flag soared above the fort, Key knew that Fort McHenry had not surrendered.  Moved by the sight, he began to compose a poem on the back of a letter he was carrying.

For 200 years we have had, in diminishing form, what he was hoping for that night: he was holding on to hope that the baby nation would live, they were breathing life into the body of a struggling infant.

In contrast with that birth of a nation, we may now be hearing the agonal breathing that accompanies the death of a republic.

This from a hospice document re: that agonal breathing:

(the patient) may appear to be gasping for air

flag 6This is another common symptom seen when death is imminent. You may notice that your loved one is“gasping”or breathing with their mouth open.

This respiratory pattern is called“agonal breathing.”

Sometimes this pattern only lasts for two or three breaths. Other times it may continue for longer periods of time. (link)

The last twenty-hours has been a turning point in my perception of my front porch flag..

Maybe that perception will fade and re-orient. If it doesn’t, I will remember it as the day I clearly saw, in the evening against an Oregon sky, the road that is taking us where we are headed.

Oh! say, can you see, by the dawn’s early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight,
O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket’s red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof thro’ the night that our flag was still there.
Oh! say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

*(“Ramparts,” in case you don’t know, are the protective walls or other elevations that surround a Fort. The first stanza asks a question. The second gives an answer. )

On the shore, dimly seen thro’ the mist of the deep,
Where the foe’s haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o’er the towering steep.
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning’s first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream.
‘Tis the star-spangled banner. Oh! long may it wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

*(“The towering steep” is again, the ramparts. The bombardment has failed, and the British can do nothing more but sail away, their mission a failure. In the third stanza, I feel Key allows himself to gloat over the American triumph. In the aftermath of the bombardment, Key probably was in no mood to act otherwise. During World War II, when the British were our staunchest allies, this third stanza was not sung. However, I know it, so here it is)

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore,
That the havoc of war and the battle’s confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has washed out their foul footstep’s pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave,
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

*(The fourth stanza, a pious hope for the future, should be sung more slowly than the other three, and with even deeper feeling. )

Oh! Thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand,
Between their loved homes and the war’s desolation,
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n – rescued land,
> Praise the Pow’r that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, for our cause is just,
And this be our motto – “In God is our trust.”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave,
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

Does the Republic “for which it stands” still live?

If the Republic the flag represents is no longer living, shall we acknowledge that?

Eagle on Tombstone

*http://www.annin.com/resources_national_anthem.asp

This entry was posted in A New America, Tea Party, These United States, Treehouse Campfire. Bookmark the permalink.

117 Responses to Oh, Say, Does That Star-Spangled Banner Yet Wave?

1. MaryfromMarin says:

Thank you, Sharon. Hard to read, but necessary.

• kinthenorthwest says:

Thank You Sharon. It was a very hard read but we all need to be reminded of what our Country was founded on and for.
      Thank you and God Bless you for your words.

2. waltherppk says:

When the currency we use was made into a farce, everything else would follow. There is an old saying about the cost of failing to learn the lessons taught by history, is having to see the lesson repeated.

3. CrankyinAZ says:

Thank you Sharon for putting into words so beautifully, what I have been feeling. These last few days have felt like nails in the coffin to me. Our nation truly is in God’s hands now.

4. ytz4mee says:

Thank you Sharon for putting to paper what so many feel but can’t quite articulate.
    It seems that the sentiment is wide-spread – I’m finding similar beliefs in places that don’t normally even touch on these types of topics. One such example:

Why the blue screen of death is now readily apparent for America

5. hocuspocus13 says:

Yes it lives its just time to repeat history and fight for what we believe in just as our ForeFathers did and make their Spirits proud of us

We shall never go down without a fight

6. Jack says:

I believe society will eventually cave on itself. There are too many people worried about their own agenda. Eventually those conflicting agendas run into each other. (The white “black” NAACP president is a good example). Obamacare will collapse. Obamatrade is treason. People will eventually wake up and many already are.
    It may take a generation to restore our American but it will be restored. I have great faith in this. Our local schools still recite the Pledge of Allegiance, still pray at graduation and my son’s class just finished Ben Carson’s book. All hope isn’t lost. We fight on!

7. barbi says:

Thank you, Sharon. It helps to know, to hear through their own words, that others are feeling the same anguish.

What keeps going through my head after coming to full realization that at least 5 people on the Supreme Court of these United States (and hundreds of progressive appointees at lower level courts) have convinced themselvess they can twist and turn words so as to write law themselves are these words, the ones I had to memorize in the 8th grade:

“When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.”

I feel that half the country feel as if they are not emotionally or politically bound to the other half any more. In fact, the differences are so great as to be a chasm neither can cross–meeting in the middle is no good for the middle of a chasm has no foundation, no land, just air and whosoever attempts to attain that middle falls into it and dies.

When “authority” doesn’t look out for you and your interests, you no longer can give respect to that authority.

The other side has the mouthpiece of dis and misinformation, the media. Facebook alone sends feeds to the millions of others through Zuckerberg’s mouth. He only wants cheap labor.

Apple is about to sell a watch that will send wearers the news, the news as vetted by Apple, who is hiring their own journalism staff for that very purpose. No need to expect Apple to be anything but far, far LeFt.

So,

“When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands…..”

I can see it coming for our kids/grandkids.

8. waltherppk says:

When you review the post American revolutionary war history of America and the United States, simply identify everything that occurred which can be correctly identified as being “counter revolutionary” and what is the wrong course for things will quickly be recognized for what it is.
    With a chuckle sometimes I look at all the “social engineering” and lawyerly or judicial or political “misinterpretations” of the United States Constitution as being a dietary problem of not enough plain English common sense honest constitution in the diet and way too much LSD 25.

9. Stormy says:

Fiery Furnace Times…

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” – Daniel 3:16-18

10. Spar Harmon says:

Even as the mannequins dance with manic triumphal glee,
    so cool the dudes and dudesses,
    the sprayon glitter, lacquered limbs in tinsel luxury arrayed,

See all the glitter and lacquer chips sifting to the floor!
    See me, See me all suave and glamour galore
    Sifting to the floor,
    ‘Til twitchy nevermore.

Yes, my children, we survived, though grave the damage done,
    Yet did we sit quietly with friends and lunch
    And through purple haze did watch
    The mountains’ slow collapse
    onto the plain

God is good
    so we remain

• Pam says:

Yes, we (Christians who truly believe, not the vast numbers “in name only”) remain. We are fast becoming, if not in fact already, a remnant in this country. Persecution is coming, as we will be targeted for hate crimes and our churches will be more under assault than ever. Churches, denominations, pastors, priests, bishops will cave under the pressure from government and societal entities.

We darn well better seek each other out, as we will need each other in the same way the early Christians needed each other.

Sharon, I stopped flying my flag several years ago, after having a “moment” similar to yours. I considered flying it in the “distress” position, but decided that would cause some other good people to misunderstand and take offense.

• angie says:

Pam, my husband and I are thinking about flying the flag upside down. We’re thinking it might get people to ask why. We’re hoping to start a conversation.
        I belong to a conspiracy website and some of the threads are cuckoo. One though has stood out to me. It stated that once the man in the white house begins to really start tearing down the US, events will come one right after the other. This seems to be what is happening now. Everything to this point have been a prelude. I wonder if tv programs hypnotize the masses or is there something in the water or food. The citizens of this country are so complacent. But then again, if you read the Yahoo home page articles, many that we discuss here, people commenting are not happy. The broadcast news doesn’t reflect the anger and frustration.

11. Justice_099 says:

Imagine if everyone flew their flags upside down in protest of what is becoming of the nation. Sadly the media wouldn’t take notice.

12. ftwphil says:

Good point about the lit up White House. Especially when the present doesn’t want to “spike the football.”

13. auscitizenmom says:

😥

14. lovely says:

Sharon, I agree with everything you say about the state of our Union. But I urge you to reconsider. The Flag still represents all that is good and holy and just about America. America has been perverted but not her roots, not what the flag means and represents, the ideal of the flag is still the ideal of the flag regardless of those who think it is just “a damn flag”.

For me flying the flag, wearing my American lapel pin means I honor the true meaning of America, the true liberty of our Republic.

For me what the flag represents is the inalienable rights and promises under God, our forefathers had the vision to put those rights down on paper, many died for those rights. If they are removed from the face of the earth by men of ill will, those rights will still exist. And I believe our flag will still represent those inalienable rights.

There is a reason anti-Americans hate our flag and that is, in spite of their most strident, hateful efforts, old Glory is still glorious.

Does that mean I think that the flag is flown in memorial ? No it must be flown in defiance that the real America still exists in the heart of every person who believes in the America granted to us by those who gifted us this shinning country.

Through the havoc of war, we are the ramparts. The star spangled banner still waves over the land of the free, even if that freedom is to demand those who hate old Glory peel her from our dead cold hands when America takes her last breath.

Until then;

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission

John F. Kennedy

15. edwatts1969 says:

I fly the flag, but not the one pictured. The flag I fly has but forty-eight stars in its canton because I believe the country hasn’t been worth a damn since that era.

• TeddyOn20th says:

We can see what Hawaii has foisted on this once-great nation, but Alaska deserves its statehood! Is there a 49-star flag available from the few months when Alaska had been admitted but Hawaii as yet had not?

(Apologies to the Hawaiians in the audience. Not your fault that one of your number is destroying the country.)

• bertdilbert says:

I grew up in Hawaii and never had a black (popolo) in my school until 10th or 11th grade. The locals dislike mainland whites (haoles) and the thing they dislike more than that are popolos. The only blacks you ever saw were pretty much military. My first reaction when I heard that Obama was born in Hawaii was WTF? What is the chance of that happening. Why the people of Hawaii seem to accept him it is probably only because he is a democrat. Hawaii is the most democrat state in the nation (IMO).

• bertdilbert says:

Obama’s favorite Island hangout.

• Bohica1 says:

Is that a gay bar?

• bertdilbert says:

No it is considered an island landmark on the island of Oahu. They serve plate lunches primarily beef teriyaki is probably the favorite. It has been there probably 50 years or so. Everybody on the island has eaten there at one time or another.

It is one of the places Obama likes to mention to the locals to make like he is a kamaaina (local boy).

• edwatts1969 says:

Yeah, but original forty-nine-star flags are quite rare, having been officially recognized for only a year. Reproductions can be had, but I want to fly only originals.

• ytz4mee says:

We fly the First Navy Jack……

16. kinthenorthwest says:

This is True…What is sad about all of this is who is pushing all the buttons of Hate.
    They (the Obama administration) did not get the reactions they wanted so now are pushing buttons in order to get the reactions that they want within our country.
    Instead of promoting unity with all of this they are doing their best to create as much division as they can.
    I look back to 911 and WWII and how our nation came together, a lot of it due to American’s President at the time. Now we have this community Organizer who is doing his level best to divide our country into a million pieces. Why I truly don’t know. I do feel that it is not for the good of our nation and people but for some other hideously horrid reasons. (My Two Cents On it All).

17. CoastalKitty says:

Thank you Sharon, my WWII adopted father would have hugged you, he’s not here with us – so I’m sending a hug as his rep, with a hug from me as well. As I type this, I’m so filled with sadness that our beautiful country has come to this. I will fly my American flag – and it will be upside down, we are in distress as a nation. After that my confederate flag will fly, my father was a confederate war buff and he would smile, tell me to stand tall and fight proudly for the return of American the Beautiful. And as he walked away he would probably ask me – “Why aren’t you flying both?”

18. cohibadad says:

The sad reality is that when Benjamin Franklin uttered his famous line, “A Republic, if you can keep it,” he might have already known even then that the chance that fallible human beings can maintain a constitutional republic indefinitely, without its purpose being subverted by the forces of evil within mankind, is zero. When I look at recent events, it seems to me that any illusion that the train wreck that many of us have seen coming for quite some time is not crashing right now can no longer be maintained by any rational person. Things are moving quickly and there will soon be a confrontation between the forces of good and the forces of evil, ISIS, and all of its supporters, whether known or unknown, revealed or hidden. As this has played out, it sickens me to think of the possibility that the forces of the United States could be used to facilitate ISIS, but with all the actions of this current regime up to and including the recent lighting of the White House, nothing from them is unbelievable. And God help us all if the United States comes into direct conflict with righteous men and women fighting for the Supremacy of God on Earth, not the God of our delusions and opinions, but God as He is.

• doodahdaze says:

Stoking the flames of his communist cultural revolution.

• The Fighting Man says:

I feel for Rev. Pinckney. He seemed like a well-rounded and dependable sort of fellow. The kind you could count on in a crisis. That punk psycho Manson wannabe kid that murdered this fine man has much more than innocent blood on his Satanic hands. He has shattered communities that were in harmony and set people against each other, yet again. I suppose that’s why he was tapped to do this foul deed by his evil master, Old Nob himself.

19. Michael H. Albiniak says:

I will continue to fly the American flag. To me it is a symbol not necessarily of what my county is currently, but rather it symbolizes all that was and still is good about the ideals of the American revolution. I fly it lest we forget them, and in the hope those ideals may someday be renewed. In my youth I served proudly in the United States Marine Corp to help secure those ideals. I am no longer young and have no illusions about martial prowess. I’m sure if it ever came to it some mob could overcome me, take down, and dishonor the flag I fly. However on my honor they will have to step over my dead body to do it, and on my honor I can assure you that mob will be smaller when it leaves then when it arrived.

20. kinthenorthwest says:

What Happened to Our Proud Americans of Fame like Cash, Skelton, Hope and so many many others who were so proud our nation and history. .

21. Sharon says:

There are two deep feelings mixed in the things I have been trying to think through – one of them rises from the thoughts and deep feelings I have about the flag and its symbolism.

The other, which is the core of my post, is consideration of what it means to pledge allegiance to the flag – and the startling discrepancies that are obvious when I consider the words of that pledge vs. the present reality.

The feelings we have for the flag are personal: I do not despise it. I have a deeply broken heart for it.

The words of the pledge of allegiance are no longer accurate with regard to the Stars and Stripes.

The nation the flag represents has changed so very much. The authorities have misused the flag and wrapped themselves in it to accomplish things completely opposed to the concept of a Republic populated by we, the people.

The reality of the foundations being destroyed cannot be evaded. If the flag is used only as a symbol of what was, of what should be, of my feelings – that’s simple. Yes. The flag flies high.

The pledge of allegiance, however, specifies a certain content and definition to what the flag represents and those things do not exist on this day, June 28, 2015.

That contradiction creates a dilemma for me.

• Totally Domestic says:

Sharon, I already had this anguishing decision to make the first time the SCOTUS ruled in favor of sodomy. I love the American Flag with all my heart and flew it every day.
      But with a broken heart I took it down. I know In my heart it was the right thing to do.

My big oak tree where it flew makes me sad. I have prayerfully come to a decision to fly the
      Christian Flag instead. My decision is to obey God rather than man. It is a flag that I can
      always be proud of. It will probably be banned soon, so get one asap.

I didn’t comment on your post about churches giving up tax exempt status. I think that would be a wonderful thing because that is what I feel has kept the church muzzled. It is time
      to break off those chains and preach the Holy Word of God in the full power of the Holy Spirit. It will cause a great sifting of the church and a purification & power that the Govt. cant stand against!

• ZurichMike says:

Sorry, the court did not rule “in favor of sodomy” just as much as didn’t rule against heterosexual marriage.

• Totally Domestic says:

Mike you are d…e….l..u…s…i…o..n…a..l.

• Director says:

I don’t think you understand what is happening.

• ZurichMike says:

On what basis do you make that statement? Please provide details, not just summary statements devoid of facts or logical thought.

• jim says:

Justice Kennedy struck down the anti-sodomy laws June 26, 2003. If you believe he did not rule “in favor of sodomy” last Thursday, then he certainly did 12 years ago.

From Justice Kenndy’s opinion (6/26/03),”When sexuality finds overt expression in intimate conduct with another person, the conduct can be but one element in a personal bond that is more enduring. The liberty protected by the Constituion allows homosexual persons the right to make this choice.”

What “choice” is he writing about? Obviously the right of two men or two women to engage in sexual activity that is not the sexual union of a man and women, that is sodomy.

The right to gay marriage institutionalizes sodomy and in Justice Kennedy’s words, makes it a “liberty protected by the Constitution.”

• ZurichMike says:

The Lawrence case overturned the earlierBowers case. The effect of the Lawrence case was to ensure the right to sexual privacy for all adults — it did not just apply to same-sex couples. Incidentally, opposite-sex couples also can engage in sodomy — and certain states up that point had only criminalized it only for same-sex couples, and others in both same-sex and opposite-sex situations. And frankly, you assume a great deal about what happens in the privacy of the bedroom in any event. Nice try. And please not that I accidentally clicked “liked” on your post — nothing to like about illogic and lack of facts.

• ctdar says:

ZM, If you tap the star of the like key again you can cancel your erroneous “like” 🙂

• jim says:

I have had gay and lesbian neighbors, a gay roomate in college, and gay teachers. I consider them friends. They are open about their sexual practices. Therefore, I am not making assumptions about what goes on in their bedroom or living room or kitchen, for that matter.

What goes on is sodomy. Justice Kennedy believes that sodomy is protected by the constitution. That is a fact, supported by his own, rather Victorian way of writing, “…overt expression in intimate contact.”

Please attempt to disengage your moral argument on sexual practice from legal opinion.

Thank you for pointing out that heterosexual couples can engage in sodomy. I had no idea. /sarc

• kinthenorthwest says:

Shannon I too have deep deep sentiments for my American Flag.
      I substitute teach. On the days that the flag salute is done I can be very strict. I do not tolerate them just 1/2 hardly doing the pledge while finishing up homework, reading what on their desk, talking to their seat mate or ??? I have actually had a few classes redo the pledge after giving them a lecture about what the flag represents. The lecture includes telling about how lucky they are to be in this great country of ours, along talking about all the men and women who sacrificed their lives for our country. My record is 7 redos, and when one of the student went to the office to complain he got 4 after school detentions. .(If there are religious reasons for not doing the pledge, then you sit quietly as you would in your church if you were praying).

• doodahdaze says:

Don’t give up the ship. Fly the flag your way. Proudly. After all it is YOUR flag.

22. lilbirdee'12 says:

Powerful thoughts from the First Lady of the Treehouse. Thank you, Sharon, for sharing your gifts from God with us, as you can express our own feelings so eloquently.

Strengthen our spirits, Lord. Give us the wisdom and courage to follow Your Path and complete Your Will.

23. 7delta says:

Beautifully written, Sharon. I understand your despair. I’ve been battling it myself off and on for some time now. This last week has been like watching New York or Boston fall to the British Regulars from atop a horse as the Continentals retreated. From the perspective of General Washington and the Continentals, the losses were gut wrenching. The fall of Philadelphia eventually came, the capture of Charleston interrupted shipping into the South, ground was won and lost, but a rag tag group of “men who acted as men determined to be free” fought on. Later came Crossing the Delaware, King’s Mountain, the Cow Pens, and Gilford Courthouse. The tide turned. The British Regulars of the Southern Campaign retreated up the eastern seaboard into defeat and surrender.

When I look at the sequence of events that led to the final victory of the civil war that we call the Revolutionary War, each of the defeats, the missteps, the miscommunications, the intercepted orders, the cold winters, the near starvation and scant funding, I see multiple intersecting lines of dominoes, each with its own purpose. Specific ones had to fall to set the direction for which path was to be taken and that would lead ultimately to victory. The losses are always disheartening, but when the victories come, they will be all the sweeter.

These are the times that try men’s souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

You are no summer soldier or sunshine patriot. You have the heart of a lion and the faith of our fathers. Look at Ft. Henry from the perspective of the people inside the fort. When the bombardment was over, Key could see the flag still waving. What he could not see was why. As the flag faltered, a man picked it up and held it aloft. When he was felled, another took his place, then another and another, until by dawn, the flag still flew, only because it was held up by the bodies of men who would not let it fall.

Grieve our losses, remember General Washington kneeling in the snow at Valley Forge, with devastating losses and his army in intolerable circumstances weighing upon his shoulders, then let our losses strengthen our resolve to act like men and women determined to be free. God will take care of the dominoes that guide us on this path, some that may be bitter pills, but necessary to direct us and keep us on task.

The Star Spangled Banner has not fallen, but it’s surely under attack. It will once again fly over “the land of the free and the home of the brave.” That’s who we are. You’ll know when it’s time for you to fly it again. Bless you, sweet Sharon, you have the heart of a lion and the faith of our fathers.

• doodahdaze says:

“Stripped of all its covering, the naked question is, whether ours is:
      A Federal or Consolidated (National) Government;
      A Constitutional or Absolute ONE;
      A Government resting solidly on the basis of the Sovereignty of the States,
      Or the Unrestrained will of a Majority;
      A form of Government, as in all other Unlimited One’s in which
      Injustice, Violence and Force MUST Ultimately Prevail.”

John C. Calhoun, 1831

• 7delta says:

Nowhere in the Constitution is the word “national” found. It was deliberately avoided by the Convention. The central government was never intended to consolidate all powers under its authority. The federal government was explicitly limited to specific powers. The Declaration of Independence set down the philosophical rules governing man’s natural rights and the Constitution enshrined them into the Rule of Law.

SCOTUS was never intended to be the final arbitrator of what is Constitutional and what is not. Marbury changed that, but its legitimacy hinges on the Court strictly upholding the Constitution. So now, if SCOTUS can tell Congress something is null and void because it’s unconstitutional, why does it not work both ways? All three branches are obligated to the checks and balances its members swore to uphold. If error is possible in one branch, how can error not be possible in another? If SCOTUS rules unconstitutionally, is it not Congress, the States and the People’s responsibility to demand redress and for Congress, within its Constitutional authority, to correct a bad decision? Bad, in the sense of SCOTUS overstepping its authority. Dred Scott was overturned by the Slaughterhouse Cases, but Congress also passed laws and the Constitution amended to protect the new freemen from such ideological overreaches. SCOTUS has gone astray more than once.

SCOTUS is not the enlightened bringer of all truth, even if they rule in a way pleasing to a percentage of the population. The law is the law, and there is a legitimate way to create or amend it. The only reason I can see for any branch not following the proper procedures is because they know they can’t get what they want if they’re honest and allow the process to run its course. It must be forced, called good and declared Constitutional. It’s the responsibility of the other two branches to reign the other in, even if they agree with the ruling, but the process and separation of powers was abused. If they don’t, it’s the responsibility of the States and the People. IMO, overreach is a pretty good sign they know they’re wrong and that they still fear the people…even if it’s just that they know the people will disagree with them and they won’t get what they want.

For those who insist the U.S. is a democracy and that’s the same as a republic, the frilly illusion of democracy is destroyed when a court, an executive or a Congress can dismiss the law and the People to simply decree their ideological desires (making itself the source of all sovereign power, as in a democracy, where the people are supposed to get a say in government, but are not seen as the source of government’s authority). It usurps sovereign powers from the People (from which all government derives its power in a republic to protect the people and act in the best interest of the People over all other interests) from the States, and from coequal branches. That’s not a democracy or a republic. That is tyranny.

• angie says:

Amen, 7delta
          When the Federal government began encroaching on state’s rights, we had secession. Ever since the Civil War, the states have never regained the status they had before it was fought.

24. doodahdaze says:

I think Sharon could fly her flag. I don’t think Obama should be able to fly it. I see the flag as American but not him. I hope we get another American President next year.

25. Rachelle says:

I won’t put up an American flag or celebrate the 4th of July. Why bother? Maybe I will watch “Seven Days in May”. It filled me with dread last time I saw it. Now it might give me a sense of hope. I certainly won’t go into the street and protest if something like that happens. I don’t care because this is no longer the government it was supposed to be. I wonder if they will televise American soldiers marching the incompetents, crooks, radicals, and Communists in the 3 branches of government off to wherever soldiers march these people to? Popcorn time.

26. ZurichMike says:

Keep the faith.

27. Alicia says:

Sharon, it’s as if you read my mind. Friday night I couldn’t sleep, started thinking about the decision marking the end of the republic, which has been declining for decades. [Insert your own mental rants — I personally blame Congress for ceding congressional and state powers and blame leftist Americans for destructive foolishness.]

Thought about the Pledge similarly to what you wrote, thought about only flying the flag upside down, or finding a flag from an earlier time (not with the intention of showing disrespect for states that would leave out), or just flying my state’s flag.

28. yankeeintx says:

The chair is against the wall. Saddle up, we ride at dawn.

29. doodahdaze says:

What we have here my fellow Treeps. Is a confrontation. Between Constitutional Rights endowed by our creator. And Civil Rights, invented by the hard core communist left in order to destroy America, and fundamentally change her. I say no.

• Director says:

The constitution is itself the beast.

Read the articles of Confederation.

• 7delta says:

The Articles of the Confederation didn’t work out real well. Each new state was a country unto itself. Commerce was hindered by squabbling over tariffs and tolls on waterways and roads. Land locked States were at a disadvantage for trade. States squabbled over trade agreements. The tenuous union under the Articles was fragile, vulnerable to outside subversion and ran the risk of States allying with foreign states over neighboring states. Think the constant wars of European history.

There was confusion about who was a citizen and who was not, since there was no consistency. Each state had its own naturalization laws, but when people moved, they may or may not be considered a citizen under the laws of another state.

Congress lacked funding to do what they were supposed to do, because the States didn’t pay the voluntary taxes, and Congress had no mechanism to enforce the agreement or any laws it passed. The war debt was huge. It had to be paid. A plan was developed to pay the debt. States with excess land to the Mississippi would sign it over to Congress to be sold to settlers and for new States. Those states argued it wasn’t fair that they had to give up so much when the States without excess land did not have to sacrifice anything. An agreement was reached, with the stipulation that the land must be sold, for no other purposes, than for settlers and to create new States to pay off the debt, which they did by the early 1800’s.

The Articles of the Confederation didn’t work. The fledgling States would have failed too under those conditions and war would have come sooner than later. Think the War of 1812 without cohesion. The EU is a bust of an example of trying to unite separate countries. The Constitution has not failed, politicians have. Not perfect, just a “more perfect union,” and a far sight better than the Articles of the Confederation. It’s still a brilliant piece of work. However, it has to be upheld for it to work and while it was, the U.S. thrived.

• The Fighting Man says:

In the mid-90s I was working at a job that brought me into contact with a foreign worker here on some visa or the other to learn library skills. I am no librarian, but used the library extensively for research in my job. This young lady was from Romania. She saw her boss had a Confederate Battle Flag display on her desk. The head librarian caught the intern staring at the display and asked if something were wrong. The young lady replied, pointing to the Battle Flag “That is the flag of people who want to be free.” She further elucidated that her country and several other former Soviet satellites used the Confederate Constitution and not the US Constitution as the basis for their new governments. So, how about sprucing up the Confederate constitution, minus the slavery gibberish, and try that? The current one is now DOA. We should tag its big toe with the tag they used to put on people who died after being worked on in the ER (as a joke)–AYOYO. (Adios, you’re on your own.)

30. K says:

I burned all the flags I had in the house yesterday. The country they once represented is gone forever. I no longer have a country.

31. auscitizenmom says:

Another with the same opinion.
    “Has America reached a ‘blue screen of death’ moment? A hard reboot now seems inevitable…”

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/050224_blue_screen_of_death_hard_reboot_human_civilization.html#ixzz3eO0o8Wrl

32. seeingeye2 says:

You’re obviously right about all that, especially the fact that the government no longer trusts the citizens; hence the reason for its strong push for gun control.

33. Director says:

It was a joke from the get go😈

34. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

Like you I feel that the country has been turned away from the principles that made her great and as a former military officer I also feel that the officer corps has let us down. It was their duty to support the constitution and with that sacred document all but gone they did not perform their duty to defend her against ALL ENEMIES both foreign and DOMESTIC. The elected leadership of this country in both parties decided that they wanted something different and so they changed the rules we live under now. The only honest one in the entire 537 we elected politicians is the President — he told us he wanted to fundamentally change the country and he did. He never told us into what and we never asked him so whose fault is that?

35. Keebler AC says:

Very powerful and emotional rendition of the Stars and Stripe story, all of its stanzas, from pondering whether it would be the last time to hoist it up outside, to the shores by the ship that night so many years ago. I had to close down the computer briefly in unison with the question.

Today, I spontaneously started humming the anthem to myself. It sounded beautiful and filled the air with breeze and optimism. 🙂

36. Megalon says:

While many are flying their freak flags high, I reject them. While many of our leaders are fools, I reject them. While the media promotes the agendas of a vocal, hate filled minority, I reject them.

I fly my Stars and Stripes proudly and defiantly and I don’t care how big of a tidal wave crashes down on me. Bring it.

37. michellc says:

Sharon, I’m disgusted and fed up with what this country has become. I’m pretty fed up with what this world has become, but this country was built differently than any other country in the world. This country because of that was blessed by God for a long time. Somewhere along the way some people decided to tear down that country built on rock and rebuild it on sand, now we’re watching it crumble to the ground.

We’ve or I guess I should say I have watched the cracks developing all of my adult life and was warned of the cracks by my elders when I was a child. Truly though all I’ve ever known to do was warn others, now I think it’s too late and the damage is too severe to repair.

As American Christians we’ve been blessed more than any other Christians in the world, we’ve always been able to worship freely and never had to choose to die physically for our faith. I think we can all read the writing on the wall that the day we’re not free to worship is near.

So although I’m sad and weary I am so thankful that I have my faith. I’m honestly not even angry anymore just sad for the death of my country.

38. John_fromGA says:

I will be flying my “Dont Tread On Me” this Independence Day. My heart is heavy.

39. Sha says:

I think we need to keep flying our flag Sharon . The losers in charge of our nation right now want be there for ever and it’s our job as Wolverines to remind our children and grand children and every young person we can about the great men and women who served and the ones who have fought and died for what that flag stands for . This to shall pass…… evil has always been around and always will be . We want give in and we want give up on our America as long as there are good people still around who remember what it is to be an American. Wolverines !!!!!!!!

• Sharon says:

Do you want to give up? I don’t. And I don’t know anyone who does. And I am not in despair as another commenter seemed to assume.

The post was about thoughts I had as I considered how far removed we are from the days when the flag actually did represent what the Pledge of Allegiance says it represents. It no longer does.

I found it useful to consider that great disconnect as I identified the dis-ease I had.

Who said anything about giving in and giving up? That consideration is not even on the table as far as I’m concerned.

I was proposing honest observation and acknowledgement of what is so. I didn’t say anything about giving up. I do suggest that we don’t waste energy and time propping up something that is dead, if it is dead. I think it matters what we spend our energy on these days.

This thread reminds me of the old game of “telephone” where the message gets so distorted, no one knows what it was to begin with.

• Sha says:

I think you are right I read some of the other comments and got a little confused. 🙂 It is very heart breaking to see how far we have fallen from the America we use to know but I have to believe that as long as there are Wolverines around we can restore it . 🙂

• 7delta says:

I apologize, Sharon, for misinterpreting what your were expressing. I understood your point about the flag no longer representing what it once did, but I misinterpreted that your observations and reflections came from a place of sadness at that being so. I meant only to be encouraging and supportive, since I imagined most of us have felt downhearted about the “constant train of abuses” of the truth, the Rule of Law and the American ideology of individual freedom, separation of powers and limited government. I despair often for my country and for her People.

Again, I apologize for projecting my interpretation of your personal emotions and thoughts. I may not know you personally, but I read what you write, so I stand by my distant observations that you have the heart of a lion and the faith of our fathers. I find it comforting that there are others I can look to for encouragement who are reasonable, kind, dedicated and principled. For me, it helps during the times that try my soul. I appreciate what you do here and being allowed to visit.

I’m sorry.

• Sharon says:

No problem – I see a clear distinction between sadness and despair.

Sadness is a passing sense/emotion; despair is a settled conclusion.

Understanding the depths of the battle and the fractures of our foundations is vital to being effective going forward.

Acknowledging the national disaster and standing-in-place w/re to the ideals that originally set our nation in place are not mutually exclusive.

I don’t know what will happen to us going forward but I will not pretend that what has already happened has not happened – and then use that emotional evasion as a premise for optimism.

40. Rachelle says:

Don’t buy flags from Dixie Flags. I just read they have caved and refused to make Confederate flags anymore. This whole witch hunt smells of WH organization and pressure.

41. Sharon, it was you that brought me back to this site during the Zimmerman fiasco, not from the Zimmerman/Martin case although that was the subject that brought me here, but from your MOB posts. My heart melted not only for the days long ago lived of which you spoke, but of your personal struggles as you watched your husband pass away. This blog, this Treehouse is a place Blessed by blessed people. SD is a MOST awesome investigative REPORTER and true journalist with the extraordinary ability to not only research exhaustively a subject, but to put his work to word so as to bring it to the attention of media beyond the Refuge. And in addition to that, You Sharon, Stella, et al are the most awesome of Patriots that have ever lived. I could not sing enough praises of the people here. Dixie, Big Mama, Froggie, Yatz, Doodah, Col K, Be Ge, Bert and ALL ( I do Mean ALL). Sharon, we ALL feel the same way as you do. All MAY be lost, or at least more oil has been poured onto the slippery slope, but we here are going to stand together no matter what. I find great comfort in that. We have witnessed the total trashing of the Constitution by all three branches of Government, and the refusal of at least two, to rein in the one. Sharon, we are Right, God knows that, and THAT is what counts. Today’s “news” reads like the Bible’s warnings and “Revelations”. I still honor that which this once Great Republic was founded upon, and I will until my dying breath. I feel your dispair and astoundment by that which we are witnessing, and I PROMISE….I WILL NOT BOW DOWN !!!! To sum it up, let me just say…..WOLVERINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Sharon says:

Comments are being turned off for this post since the thread has been hijacked into a discussion of STDs, gay sex, and gay marriage.

Comments are closed.