History needs to be corrected.  In the post Charlie Hebdo attack aftermath, every media outlet said U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry asked James Taylor to fly to Paris.  Actually, the opposite is true; James Taylor’s wife asked Secretary Kerry to come to Paris.  Nice to know what’s actually driving our diplomatic endeavors….

Buried in a recent Billboard interview we find this:

In January, after the Charlie Hebdo murders in France, you sang “You’ve Got a Friend” at a rally in Paris, which Secretary of State John Kerry attended. How did that come about?

kerry and james taylorAt the time of the attacks, my wife and I were in Switzerland, taking vacation time before I went to Paris to do press for a tour of Europe. John and Teresa Kerry are, I would say, our good friends.

Kim was texting him after the attacks and said, “John, I think you need to go to Paris.” They were having a solidarity march two days after the attack. But John had to be in Peshawar, for a secret meeting.

He said, “I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

When he came to Paris, we had dinner and he said, “I’m giving a speech with the mayor tomorrow. James, will you sing ‘You’ve Got a Friend’?”

It was done at the drop of a hat. When I stood up to sing, my guitar wasn’t working. So the mayor [Anne Hidalgo] came over and held her mic in front of my guitar. (link)

This entry was posted in History, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Secretary of State, Terrorist Attacks, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to So That’s How That Happened – The Backstory To The Weirdly Awkward John Kerry / James Taylor Charlie Hebdo Thing…

1. BitterC says:

I hope John’s “secret trip to peshawar” is known to James in hindsight.

• stella says:

That was my thought when I first read this story earlier this week. I think they knew it at the time, actually.

• Lulu says:

They’re good friends, after all. What’s a little state secret among friends? /s

With this misadministration, those “good friends” are all insiders now – but not the American public…

• TwoLaine says:

Peshawar, where on 16 Dec 2014, 145 were killed, including 132 school children, in an Army Public School massacre by seven men with guns.

I guess The Oh? hasn’t read about this yet.

• Sentient says:

Yeah, but that’s not an “advanced” country or a “developed” country, right? Sarc off. It’s funny how Obama actually prefers lesser developed countries (they use less energy and have fewer whites), but then wants to compare the US to Switzerland when it comes to murders using guns. Jamaica has strict gun control and LOTS of murders.

• TwoLaine says:

Yeah, we can put a Dunce hat on him, put him in a corner where he belongs, but he just keeps popping up like a jack-in-the-box.

BTW, he don’t need no stinkin’ facts. He will make up whatever he wants and that be fact. Just ask him.

2. haoleboy says:

The saying ” the truth is not in him” is what Kerry is all about.

3. carterzest says:

#KetchupFail

This, folks, is how our foreign policy is born….on the whim of useful idiots!

Being a singer songwriter who used to respect James Taylor, I must say, ANY CELEBRITY OR MUSICIAN who speaks out on behalf of politics is dead to me. It is a coffin nail IMHO. Just shut up and play the music, act, whatever….I do not want to hear about your politics.

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Carterzest, how about John “don’t call me cougar” Melloncamp?

• SouthCentralPA says:

Sadly, BDS (Bush derangement, not the inchoate fury that Israelis have businesses in Judea and Samaria) finally got the best of Mellencamp and he left his small town (that song really wasn’t hyperbole, he lived in Seymour most of his life) for Bloomington.

On the plus side (for him anyway) he gets to live in (what is now) a latte town, and can smoke wherever he likes (who’s going to tell him to put it out?).

• Col.(R) Ken says:

Thanks, went too one of his concerts many, many years ago, mid ’80s. After the Bush comments, knew he was jumping on the Libby bandwagon. Now Mellonhead is just another strung out old doper.

• carterzest says:

and I see Jon Bon Jovi is already in the tank for Hitlery, and, Neil Young is against Teh Donald using his song for his announcement, 2 more off my play list. Sure glad I am going into the studio next month so I can write my own music to listen to =)

• This wasn’t really about politics. It was about James Taylor’s wife, Kim, looking to get publicity for her husband. She never stops.

• GrimmTale says:

@ carterzest:
      “… Just shut up and play the music, act, whatever….I do not want to hear about your politics….”
      I’ve muttered those EXACT SAME WORDS – both under my breath, and ALOUD (much to the chagrin of my husband) …!

4. kafir says:

OK, that all makes more sense, NOT.
    I hope they don’t call Michael Murphy next time ISIS immolate their victims

5. kihn says:

It’s all about sharing the experience. These are shakers and movers in the upper tiers of the elite. Sharing boat rides, having dinners in Paris, making changes in the itinerary to fit in friends. They are merely observers upon the world stage. Feathers in the wind. Moved by events, not making them happen. Just have to go with it.

6. 2x4x8 says:

Democrats are lacking in foreign policy as everything else, Obama missed the “we are the world leaders march”, because it does not fit in his agenda, it has to get the go ahead from the Muslim Brotherhood, Islamic Terrorism, well, doesn’t exits, but small town white/police shooting a black/criminal is a national crusade, as the President sends delegates to their funeral

7. manickernel says:

I liked where he said his music was creepy comfort food for the people, but that’s alright. Relax.

8. John Galt says:

“When I stood up to sing, my guitar wasn’t working.”

Incompetence is the new normal.

• Lulu says:

And from the rest of the context, I wonder if it was a mic for his guitar that wasn’t working and that woman brought her mic over?

At some point James seriously fried his brain.

9. Lulu says:

Regardless of how it went down, Jean Fraud still asked him to come and sing. So inappropriate it makes one’s hair hurt…

10. peppie says:

Queer, the whole deal was really odd.

11. wacojoe says:

When we have Lurch as our Secretary of State, we get this sort of thing time to time.

12. So the bottom line is that this administration’s pathetic “make-up” presence in France, wasn’t even this administration’s idea. They would have done nothing.

facepalm

The interns in the American embassy in France would have known how to deal with this properly. Making this proof that real information only flows downward in this amateurishly dictatorial administration. And a further explanation of why Obama’s and Jarrett’s cards are so easy to read in the disastrous outcomes.

13. So, two nimrods get together over dinner in Paris, and develop a tone deaf blunder that is completely unvetted to illuminate the feckless, awkward, illusionary and failed foreign policy of Obama and Kerry after an unprecedented terrorist attack over a cartoon. What more do we have to look forward to until January 20, 2017?

14. peachteachr says:

It was such a ‘hokey’ idea that it was entirely believable that Kerry came up with it on his own. Should I feel better about it because he and friends came up with the idea over dinner? It was truly cringe worthy, no matter who thought of it, and tacky, very tacky.

15. shipley130 says:

Why does James Taylor know that John Kerry had a secret meeting in Peshawar? I thought Pakistan totally shuns anything to do with “Americans”.

16. Stephen says:

I thought the whole “You’ve Got a Friend” episode was embarrassing even before I knew how it came about!

17. Jill says:

BLUMENTHAL EMAIL CONFIRMS: LIBYA WAS TO BE HILLARY’S CROWNING ACCOMPLISHMENT

Blumenthal told the committee this week that he was not the author of most of the material he sent Hillary. He was being paid ten thousand per month but stated he just “cut and pasted” other peoples’ original material that he sent to Hillary. These political hacks even rip each other off!

• Funny how he tells her: “But Don’t wait. Help Clio now.”

LOL

The muse of history won’t be kind to Hillary

• Best semi-off-topic post in ages. All dots connect now. A feckless Obama with no real plan, is over-controlled by Jarrett with no experience. Hillary – herself a walking ground zero – discovers that Jarrett will let her get into a self-created mess, but won’t let her do the right thing (tough admission + backtrack on “AQ on the run” prior to the election + military commitments) to get out of one. Jarrett let’s Hill escape, but makes her take the heat later to preserve what little is left of Obama/Jarrett legacy.

Ship of fools goes down off Benghazi because nobody will man up to save it, instead choosing to save careers, legacy, and foolish promises.

Somewhere, possibly with no record, was the refusal to fix what they broke.

18. Spar Harmon says:

Jon Kerry
    James Taylor
    representing America

–SIGH–

19. Spar Harmon says:

clap hand over eyes
    shake head back and forth
    cry

20. Spar Harmon says:

O the pathos!
    the…uhhh…inherent perfidious lie, mebbe
    O… got it now!…O
    O the bathos!

21. Lee Jan says:

We have never ever had such a collection of America haters in one administration.

22. Pingback: Top Ten Reasons To Dislike Mitt Romney: - Page 12 - MBWorld.org Forums