Consider this a MUST READ if you are concerned about abusive government and the absolute elimination of free speech and personal liberty.

naziobama_big(Reason) For the past two weeks, Reason, a magazine dedicated to “Free Minds and Free Markets,” has been barred by an order from the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York from speaking publicly about a grand jury subpoena that court sent to Reason.com.

The subpoena demanded the records of six people who left hyperbolic comments at the website about the federal judge who oversaw the controversial conviction of Silk Road founder Ross Ulbricht. Shortly after the subpoena was issued, the government issued a gag order prohibiting Reason not only from discussing the matter but even acknowledging the existence of the subpoena or the gag order itself. As a wide variety of media outlets have noted, such actions on the part of the government are not only fundamentally misguided and misdirected, they have a tangible chilling effect on free expression by commenters and publications alike.

Yesterday, after preparing an extensive legal brief, Reason asked the US Attorney’s Office to join with it in asking that the gag order – now moot and clearly an unconstitutional prior restraint – be lifted. This morning, the US Attorney’s Office asked the Court to vacate the order, which it did. We are free to tell the story for the first time.  (read more)

This entry was posted in 1st Amendment, A New America, Big Government, Big Stupid Government, Conspiracy ?, Death Threats, Dept Of Justice, First Amendment, Notorious Liars, Obama re-election, Occupy Type Moonbats, Professional Idiots, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Wow, Just Wow – Government Demands Identity of Website Commentators Then Issues Gag Order To Stop Public Knowledge…

1. FatherJon says:

Get used to it, folks, it’s coming to a Facebook account near you! Has anyone noticed how FB is gradually demanding verification of identity before continuing with your account which you may have opened under a pseudonym years ago? This is especially so with people who contribute to political forums. Many of us refuse to do this if it interferes with our anonymity. Personally I don’t want to await a knock on the door one day, with government agents asking me ‘did you write this?’
    And we all know that as governments change hands their data bases remain for any dictator to peruse and act against anyone holding the ‘wrong’ attitudes and beliefs. Sorry, FB, I’ll stay safe…and keep my political ideas to myself from now on.

• Worc1 says:

They don’t need your name just the IP address.

• FatherJon says:

I prefer to use TOR precisely to avoid identification, such is the true sensitive nature of my employment, so that my IP cannot be traced. I’m hardly likely to want to freely hand my ID to Facebook.

• seeingeye2 says:

Can’t anyone use an anonymous IP address?

• bogeytct says:

Here’s how you maintain a level of anonimity.

Buy a laptop with cash at a nearby town that is population dense. Preferably a cheap one. Do not turn it on anywhere near your home. Ever. Turn it on only long enough to disable and lock down all programs so only internet and wireless settings are on. Do not make any identifiable account settings. Gut it of anything absolutely not needed. Use TOR set up on a CD. Turn it on at an open WiFi spot. Turn it off when done.

The feds tracked folks through TOR by exploiting their browsers to give up identifying info. If you don’t do it from him and you don’t use the comp for anything else, short of the eyes at the CIA looking for you, you’ll be fine.

• MouseTheLuckyDog says:

Actually:
            1) Buy a laptop where it is easy to swap hard drives. All laptops all you to do this but with some it’s remove three screws… others it’s pop one out pop the other in.
            2) Get a laptop hard drive, better an SSD.
            3) Whenever you want to be anonymous use the new SSD. Install TailOS/TailS ( on this SSD).
            4) The most important thing randomly use free WiFi. Make sure it’s random, make sure to include places near where you live, or that will be a sore spot.

• bogeytct says:

Yea, that’s more ideal. I didn’t want to make it too complicated.

The biggest key is to never ever use it anywhere that it may transmit personal info. There’s tricks to make a computer spit out info. It’s crucial the computer never have exposure to anything that can identify your identity or location.

One of the tricks Patreus did to keep the digital footprint small was he shared a login to gmail with his mistress. He would never send an email rather just create a draft and then wait for her to read it and delete it. That way it never went across any email servers where snoopers can mechanically search for identifying info. Keeping it all on Google’s central server kept it a bit more obscured.

• upaces88 says:

That is the very reason I opened a Gmail Account. Google DOES protects their people.
        Let me tell you what happened when I had my Yahoo Account. I had it for years.
        I always kept myself signed in. I couldn’t get in my own Yahoo Account.
        I received a message, “Your password isn’t strong enough.”
        After 5 tries…I still received a message “still not strong enough.” The last try was “37 character password” with Capital letters, small case letters, numbers and symbols mixed in. They came back again, “Still not strong enough.” They asked for my phone number. I responded, “DELETE MY YAHOO ACCOUNT!”

• Suzy Kiprien says:

Yes, I noticed this re FB.

• mazziflol says:

Let me recommend too, a solid VPN to assist with your anonymity. https://www.frootvpn.com/

3-4$ a month, no logs/records are kept and unlimited bandwdith. I personally use it, and recommend it to anyone.

I am not affiliated with them, there are many other quality like services, choose one (but do choose one!) that best suits your needs.

• upaces88 says:

I was kicked off of Face Book the first time he got into office. Why? I uploaded Video(s) of him Admitting he wasn’t born here and his associates.
      I do NOT like Face Book; and I won’t go there. Terrorists have FB and nothing was done about them at the time.

• kinthenorthwest says:

H3LL it gone even farther than than with FB…I have about 3 or 4 friends who have been banned for their political views..

• Ruth ferguson says:

If you have something important to say, say it!!! Please!! Don’t be afraid of those suckers unless you are guilty of something.

• upaces88 says:

I don’t know if y ou can do this on Yahoo. IF you have a Gmail account (Google)…y9u can delete our “url” after you post.

I haven’t been back to FB is a very long time (first time Obama got into office).
      I uploaded video(s) and articles about his Birth Certificate and his history. I was kicked off of FB. I do not go back there. Terrorists ARE allowed to have FB…but it seemed that people who told the truth about Obama got the boot.

My Mama used to say “IF you don’t like what people are saying about you if it is wrong… confront them. With Obama? He hates it when everyone knows exactly who he is; what he is doing; and what he is capable of.

2. NYGuy54 says:

Isn’t this the same US attorney who went after Dinesh D’Souza?

3. Sharon says:

Each of us will need to determine whether we wish to exercise free speech or risk consequences from the government. The decision will be made in a hundred different ways, probably with noticeable escalation of importance at the personal level.

Reason has done good public service by capturing, documenting, pushing back, and now sharing as they have.

Since none of us can know the future it’s difficult to “decide now” what, exactly, we will do so I suspect we will have to make such decisions, to some extent, in foggy conditions. So be it.

Kyrie Eleison

They already have the mechanisms in place and they certainly will not be announcing in advance what day and hour the door will be slammed shut and penalties assessed. And when obama leaves town in January 2017 (assuming he does) nothing will have changed because the agencies and reams of regulation will continue as they exist at that hour.

No candidate for POTUS who is unwilling to articulate a scorched earth policy/corrective to be applied the regulatory agencies, boards, and authority-points will restore or protect our Constitutional and God-given liberties by his/her mere presence in the White House. I want to hear the candidates addressing this. It doesn’t seem they want to address it. They just want to win..

• michellc says:

We honestly have to ask ourselves if we have any freedoms left. The government at all levels has decided we have none.

• Sharon says:

We need to reinforce our understanding of the phrase “God-given freedoms” – government didn’t give them to me so the government can’t take them away.

However, government can decide that, in their opinion, I don’t have them and begin to issue edicts and restrictions accordingly.

I don’t have to abide by those edicts and restrictions.

So the question is not whether I still have those freedoms – I do have them.

The question is whether I will be persuaded to stop exercising them.

• michellc says:

They can though lock us all up or kill us for exercising our God given freedoms.

That may be the better question, how many of us are willing to suffer the consequences of exercising our God given freedoms?

That question may have to be answered sooner than we think.

• Sharon says:

I think it’s the same question. Of course they can lock us all up or kill us.

Thus the need to do some thinking about the thing, do some decision-making while our days are still calm enough to do so with thoughtfulness and awareness of possible consequences.

• michellc says:

I’ve actually been thinking for awhile that the day will come when I’ll need to become a smaller target by not being outspoken and limiting or ending my online presence.
              I used to think about and planned for off grid, but today that seems to put another target on your back. So I think that’s better to be ready in case you have to.

• My mother, who lived in Nazi Germany and barely got out alive, tried to train me to do just that – to run – to hide – to say the right things, or nothing at all, and escape alive, like she did. Ironically, I extrapolated morally, and came to the only conclusion I could – that resistance is the only choice I can make – that I must NEVER shut up. The only question is how to resist, to yield the greatest good and least evil.

However, I do not condemn those who choose not to resist. They serve an important and godly purpose – living to tell the truth. If you choose to “go along” and survive, then I would only ask that you be the best Diary of Anne Frank that you can possibly be!

• michellc says:

I would never go along, just make the target on my back smaller. I’d rather be dead as survive by willingly giving up.

• smiley says:

so.
                  here we are…actually having this conversation.
                  I have wondered, for many years, when/if it would happen, in this nation of ours.

• michellc says:

My Grandfather didn’t have a lot of formal education, but he was a very intelligent man. He would tell us kids lots of things about life in general and make a lot of predictions about life in the future if the younger generation didn’t put the brakes on what was happening in our country.
                  I think a lot of it came from his Cherokee heritage passed down to him.
                  Anyway, we should have taken him more seriously than we did and more importantly we should of used our youthful minds to figure out how to put on the brakes. Much of what he predicted is coming to pass, much of it that sounded crazy all those years ago.

4. georgiafl says:

This administration and its agencies has shown that it is not equally concerned about the hyperbolic threats issued many times daily online by Obama’s and Holder’s people against police and white people.

For that matter, neither are Twitter and Facebook.

5. Ziiggii says:

The larger Reason article is a fascinating read. I don’t think that it is a far stretch to anticipate that this case, if fought all the to the SCOTUS, could be a landmark decision for all internet blogs, forums and sites.

6. LadyRavenSDC says:

Reblogged this on LadyRaven's Whisky In A Jar – OH! and commented:

“To live in a world where every stray, overheated Internet comment—however trollish and stupid it may be—can be interpreted as an actionable threat to be investigated by a federal grand jury is to live in a world where the government is telling the public and media to just shut up already.”

7. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

In not to many more years the web will be controlled as those in power ca not tolerate being criticized

8. bogeytct says:

On the last day of the George W Bush administration he must have quietly killed millions of civil libertarians. That’s my best guess as to how they almost all disappeared when Obama took office.

They protested because we intercepted calls to foreign exchanges without a warrant and yet have not a concern for bulk collection of data or “John doe” warrants with gag orders.

That’s why I wish Romney or McCain won. Because the left would at least pretend to care about civil liberties.

• Amity says:

Yep. Didn’t really want either one of them, but voting for a Republican is voting for the media to keep an eye on my civil liberties. That’s why I may regularly complain about having to vote for the lesser evil, but I will still keep doing it.

• TeddyOn20th says:

Amity, I have long thought the same thing. It is the nature of government, no matter what party is running it, to want to grab power from the citizens. The left has long been more in-your-face active about its favorite issues, and when one of theirs is in power (like O), they just go utterly silent on anything the government is doing. Better to have a Republican in office so that the left’s anti-Republican fanaticism has some spillover anti-government effects.

9. Dixie says:

Fear will effectively shut everybody down which is exactly what they want. I’m concerned that there will come a day when nobody will comment. Do we want to be herded like cattle or do we want to fight the establishment and maintain status quo fearlessly, like a wolverine. If we allow them to shut us down, then life will not be worth living anyway. Just my 2 cents worth……

10. froggielegs says:

I read an article a few years ago about the blogger who wrote about the Steubenville rape case. Anyway she was sued by a student & his parents because a few commentors blamed him for the rape and he supposedly wasn’t there (I don’t know if he was or wasn’t) Anyway, his attorney filed a complaint to Hostgator who was hosting her website and Hostgator gave his attorney WITH OUT a court order, all the IP’s of every person who commented on her site. She then moved her site to an offshore company. So I would be careful using Hostgator for hosting as they don’t require a court order to hand over info.

11. dizzymissl says:

The comments at the Reason link are brilliant.

12. FatherJon says:

I have no problem with strong government, just depends who’s in charge of that government. But we probably would all agree with that.

• Amity says:

Strong government always becomes a problem, by its very nature, because the people running the government regularly change. Good leaders can generally get the important jobs done with minimal legal power, so strong government is not a problem when good leaders are in charge, partially because they use methods outside of sheer government force.

Bad leaders in charge for any length of time eventually use all the force and power they can get their hands on.

You can’t control whether your leader is good or bad, but a bad leader in charge of a weak government does limited damage, while weak governments with good leaders do very well. Strong governments with bad leaders are disastrous.

13. CrankyinAZ says:

My least favorite quote from the article: [Assistant U.S. Attorney Niketh] “Velamoor disputed that any such free speech rights exist.” Yep… that pesky 1st Amendment just ain’t what it used to be.

14. Nation says:

The government, all three branches, is going to act like a nazi police state from time to time. That is why the Founders guaranteed our right to a trial by jury. The jury has the right and power to render a verdict against the weight of the evidence. The prosecutor may have proved his case, but the jury may still render a not guilty verdict because the law or the application of the law is unjust. This is called “jury nullification” or jury independence.

Most of us would never think to use jury nullification. This is because we assume that the government only prosecutes bad guys. Yet, from time to time unconstitutional laws get rubber-stamped by the judiciary and our fellow citizens become targets of unjust persecutions. When this happens to our fellow citizens, it is up to us, the jury, to draw a line in the sand and tell the government no, we won’t let you enforce this unjust law.

Some people might think jury nullification is crazy, undemocratic anarchist speak. It’s not. The Founders intended for the jury to be used this way. Specifically Alexander Hamilton and John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Here is what Thomas Jefferson had to say about the jury:

“I consider trial by jury as the only anchor ever yet imagined by man, by which a government can be held to the principles of its constitution.”

“It is left… to the juries, if they think the permanent judges are under any bias whatever in any cause, to take on themselves to judge the law as well as the fact. They never exercise this power but when they suspect partiality in the judges; and by the exercise of this power they have been the firmest bulwarks of English liberty.”

If that doesn’t convince you that jury nullification is a legitimate concept, then look at Noah Webster’s 1828 Dictionary definition of jury (also note that Webster was not a lawyer, unlike Hamilton, Jay, and Jefferson):

“Petty juries, consisting usually of twelve men, attend courts to try matters of fact in civil causes, and to decide both the law and the fact in criminal prosecutions. The decision of a petty jury is called a verdict.”

So there you have it folks. You do not have to enforce unconstitutional, unjust laws if you are on the jury. Stick to your morals and principles. Vote not guilty.

15. peppie says:

Can you believe that this was possible before 9/11? You’re living in the Fourth Reich in collusion with radical Muslim Jihadists… SIEG HEIL Allahu Akbar! Votes Matter People! God help us all.

16. EdWatts says:

It appears that reason.com also removed the “offensive” posts, no doubt with our government’s Luger pressed against the temple.

17. bitterlyclinging says:

Corollary to this in the colleges, Obama through DOE, is squeezing the speech rights of students and faculty on and off campus in spite of court decisions to the contrary.

Hitler assumed power the klast days of January, 1933. The ovens of Auschwitz were not up and running on the following February 1st but the path to there was both insidious and inexorable. The United States, by virtue of its long history is just proving a tougher nut for Obama to crack and he’s working furiously

18. kinthenorthwest says:

H3LL for a few years now been joking about opening up my door and finding men in black there. It won’t be the Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones type of men in black as much as I love to see Jones at my door…at his older age I still think he cute…
    Sadly I have a feeling that since I still keep commenting and reading conservative web sites, there is a good chance it will happen in a few years..