Incredible Images: High Water In Red River Area – Oklahoma Texas Border Region…

GAINESVILLE TEXAS (CBSDFW.COM) – Creeks, lakes and rivers overflowing their banks isn’t just a problem in the counties in and around Dallas and Fort Worth. The Red River at the Oklahoma-Texas line has risen so high that officials may have to shut down the Interstate-35 corridor.

red-river-3

The river has risen even more since this image was captured.  No-one is quite sure, but it’s expected at 43.0 ft. the Red River will actually crest the I-35 road/bridge.

Just after lunchtime Friday, the Red River, which divides Texas from Oklahoma, was observed at 42.02 feet. Twenty-five feet is flood stage.  (read more with incredible video footage)

This entry was posted in Weather Events. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Incredible Images: High Water In Red River Area – Oklahoma Texas Border Region…

1. Ziiggii says:

Not a structural engineer but would it not be prudent to go ahead and close that bridge now? What if the torrent of water were to weaken the foundations of those piers…

2. Be Ge says:

Nature, you’re scarrrrry.

3. WeeWeed says:

Yup – all teh way down the Red. Gahhhhh……. here we go again. BRB – gotta go light another mosquito coil…… 🙄

• sundance says:

…”coils”, heck I gotz salty skeeters who view them things as mood setting ambiance, and DEET as tenderizer…. 😉

• michellc says:

Skeeters and flies, can’t even sit outside without one or the other or both biting. I also seem to have the kind Sundance has, they seem to enjoy Deet.
      I have traps, fly strips, bought out the store on everything that said it would kill or deter flies and mosquitoes. Nothing is working.
      I put up new strips this morning on the front porch, emptied the traps and this afternoon the strips or traps wouldn’t hold another flying insect and they’re both still buzzing like crazy.

I even moved all the furniture off the porch, sprayed the porch down with water, let it dry and then sprayed horse fly spray all over it and the furniture. Sprayed another product on the roof and railings and in the air. Put up new strips and they’re still buzzing like crazy.
      If that wasn’t bad enough the black ants big enough to carry off a small child are all over the porch as well.

• jackphatz says:

FYI Ants do not like peppermint. Get some peppermint oil ( the good stuff), put it around the porch. Works well indoors too. I had an influx of those big ants in my bedroom so I placed cotton balls around. Also spiders don’t like eucalyptus, that’s another oil you can buy.

• michellc says:

I’ve always used peppermint, spearmint, and citrus, nothing seems to be deterring the critters this year.

I did put out some stuff today that has always worked on small ants to see if it will work on these huge ants. Plus we’ve spread a perimeter of boric acid around our porch and our house.

This has been the worst year that I can remember for ticks, mosquitoes, flies and ants. Knock on wood the fleas haven’t been a problem this year, I think they must have all drowned.

• lilbirdee'12 says:

OK, I knocked on wood before I started typing. I have only seen TWO skeeters so far this year. I planted marigolds all around my porch, cleaned my outside furniture with Pine-Sol and I spray myself and around area with Cutter Skinsations. Hope this helps someone. Crossing my fingers that my luck holds out, lol.

• michellc says:

I have marigolds in my flower bed and around my vegetable garden, maybe I need to plant some around my porch. I do have chives planted by my roses in front of my porch and have some pots of different herbs around my porch and a citronella plant and citronella candles. I haven’t tried Pine-Sol but I’m willing to try anything.

My relaxing time has been curtailed due to the bugs, I can’t stand sitting on my porch getting bitten or buzzed. I want my porch back!

So tomorrow I’m going to try Pine-Sol and I’m going to the feed store and buying commercial strength automatic fly spray.

• angie says:

We screened in the covered part of our patio. It was finished yesterday. Before this, I would go outside and feel certain that I was going to get West Nile virus. Mosquitos would attack by the dozens. We would not allow our grand baby in the backyard because we were afraid he’d get impetigo from scratching mosquito bites. Now, he has a new giant play yard, lol.

4. sunflower lady says:

Wow, I’ve been across that bridge many times and I’ve never seen the river so high. I visited relatives in Oklahoma a little over a year ago and the creek beds were pretty dried up. I’ll be returning for Labor Day and I’m sure it’s going to be quite a change. I’m looking forward to some good McGehee’s catfish. Hope the flooding stops and everyone stays safe!

5. art tart says:

I live in Shreveport, La. & we are seperated by the Red River with Bossier City on the other side of the Red River.. Shreveport & Bossier are connected by several Bridges over the Red River like the pictures Sundance shows in those areas in his article.. Parts of Shreveport & Bossier flooded last week leaving devastation from the Red, the Red River flooded a lot of downtown Shreveport & Bossier & low lying rental properties in neighborhoods that are mostly AA & rentals, those too are lost.

Shreveport & Bossier will again flood next week as the waters from Oklahoma & Arkansas travel down the Red & floods everything below them, La. included. It is predicted that it will take a week for the waters to reach us again before the next flood. Shreveport/Bossier has issued another Emergency Warning advising of the anticipated flood next week again & told those that are flooded to cease clean up & prepare for more flooding, more sand bags, etc.

It’s heartbreaking, why Contractors built 1/2 milliondollar homes on the Bossier/Shreveport banks of the Red w/many newer neighborhoods which are under water now & some will likely be total losses.

Though many likely had to have Flood Insurance because their homes are financed, the price value of their homes have dropped 50 + % in value & they will havev a difficult time trying to sell their homes in the future, nobody wants to live & face possible flooding in years to come, it’s just not worth it. The AA neighborhood homes are rentals, the contents are mostly total losses.

Prayers to those that have their lives in turmoil, give them the strength to put one foot in front of the other to save what they can.

• michellc says:

I’ve never understood why people build so close to the water. I get that it’s nice to walk out your front door and have the water right there, but you never know when you’re going to be fishing in your living room.

Driving over that bridge though numerous times, it’s unreal to see the water that high. There is absolutely no way I’d be driving it across it now and not sure I’d want to for the next few years until there is time to see how much structural damage has been caused.

• art tart says:

michellc ~ I think, at least in our city, since the Red River hadn’t flooded since the 90’s, people become complacent in thinking w/all the technology we have today, it wouldn’t likely happen again. Nobody knows what mother nature will do, she does what ever she damn well feels like, the predictions were terrible for people living here & now forecasters are saying something in the silt of the river changed. In other words: that don’t have a freaking clue, they are trying to cover their butts & keep their jobs. Nobody is buying it.

You make a good point about structural damage, I too wouldn’t drive over our bridges to Bossier, we have plenty of Gambling boats on our side of the RIver LOL.

• michellc says:

The river I grew up on used to change course frequently, it hasn’t done so in several years. Now folks have built homes where I saw it run when I was a kid. Every time I drive out that way I shake my head at the people who brought in dirt and built it up thinking that will stop it from going the way it wants to go.
          Some people though will never learn. Out here by me now all these homes that are flooded, the people are determined they’ll clean them up if they can or rebuild if they can’t. Their reasoning is this won’t happen again anytime soon.

• WeeWeed says:

My sainted Momma always said, there’s a reason the forefathers never built on the beach, closer than this >< to lakes, or on river banks.
      I’m here with ya’s now, art – we’ll go have pie at Strawn’s if we live thru it. 😉

• art tart says:

WeeWeed ~ OMG! I’m salavating at the thought of Strawn’s strawberry pie & a hamburger w/extra bacon!

WeeWeed ~ my husband & I were both from Shreveport, but moved to Baton Rouge for 15 years, after he died, I moved back home to take care of elderly parents.. In BR, We lived on a private man made lake at a high elevation that would never flood but it was nothing for N. Orleans/Baton Rouge to flood all the time. It’s a big deal here in Shreveport/Bossier because the predictions were wrong, they changed 4 times in the last few days.

6. Will says:

Is this from the record-breaking ice in the Great Lakes this year?

• WeeWeed says:

Nah. Mother Nature’s miffed.

• bikermailman says:

This isn’t the Red River up north that frequently floods, this is fed from Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico. This is from tropical storm Bob the other day, and the region was already slammed last month. Last month’s rains had Lake Texoma (on the Red) over the spillway for the second time ever, been nearly 70 years since the last.

7. jackphatz says:

You know it’s either El Nino or La Nino even thought it doesn’t really matter because both are phenomena most likely, probably, kinda caused by changing global warming climate happenings. I think we used to call that a shindig.

8. maggiemoowho says:

That water is what nightmares are made of. Scary stuff, stay safe if you live near there, I’ll be praying for you.

9. Col.(R) Ken says:

Oh no the Red River D will be flooded! Will the Duke make it across? In all seriousness, move away from the water now! Have been across that bridge couple of times. As for bugs/ants, I spray household bleach around the foundation, and on the door sills use black pepper. Yeah I know old fashion. Thoughts and prayers for all.

10. shipley130 says:

Man, I hope the Pope doesn’t see this. He will be shutting off the man made global warming rain and instituting a drought for the rest of the decade. You know, because communists know better than anyone else.