…. but, but what about the Sand Smelts?  All’s fair in rules and regulations until those rules, regulations and laws circle back to impact the rule making advocates.

(Via Washington Post) Drought or no drought, Steve Yuhas resents the idea that it is somehow shameful to be a water hog. If you can pay for it, he argues, you should get your water.

hypocrisy

People “should not be forced to live on property with brown lawns, golf on brown courses or apologize for wanting their gardens to be beautiful,” Yuhas fumed recently on social media. “We pay significant property taxes based on where we live,” he added in an interview. “And, no, we’re not all equal when it comes to water.”

Yuhas lives in the ultra-wealthy enclave of Rancho Santa Fe, a bucolic Southern California hamlet of ranches, gated communities and country clubs that guzzles five times more water per capita than the statewide average. In April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

But a moment of truth is at hand for Yuhas and his neighbors, and all of California will be watching: On July 1, for the first time in its 92-year history, Rancho Santa Fe will be subject to water rationing.

“It’s no longer a ‘You can only water on these days’ ” situation, said Jessica Parks, spokeswoman for the Santa Fe Irrigation District, which provides water service to Rancho Santa Fe and other parts of San Diego County. “It’s now more of a ‘This is the amount of water you get within this billing period. And if you go over that, there will be high penalties.’ ”  (read more)

This entry was posted in Big Government, Dem Hypocrisy, Environmentalism, media bias, Notorious Liars, Occupy Type Moonbats, Professional Idiots, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

85 Responses to Ah, Progressives At Their Core – Some are Just Fundamentally More Equal Than Others….

1. doodahdaze says:

Social Justice.

2. Nanny G says:

Ironic isn’t it?
    They take the lead in liberal opinings, but will not walk the walk.
    Don’t they know that, all too often, the mob they impose these restrictions on will turn on them and eat them alive?
    In the past they might have been fed to a guillotine!

• bertdilbert says:

Nobody is rationing their water, they can use all they want. There is just tier pricing for going over the limit.

“If you can pay for it, he argues, you should get your water.”

Then shut up and pay.

3. lovely says:

I wonder what all the minions of the Leftist monarchs will do when they see that the “we are on the side of the down trodden” celebrities show their true colors.

No not really, it will be just like when AL Gore’s estate was lit up like the fourth of July on that silly save the earth/lights out night.

The puppets of the left will still keep dancing unaware of their strings, enriching their puppeteers and making them demigods.

And this It’s now more of a ‘This is the amount of water you get within this billing period. And if you go over that, there will be high penalties is simply laughable, you could charge the celebrities in the photos (sorry I don’t even know who all of them are) a $100,000 a month in fines and it won’t change their life style one bit.

• janc1955 says:

Ah, but further into the article there’s this:

“Residents who exceed their allotment could see their already sky-high water bills triple. And for ultra-wealthy customers undeterred by financial penalties, the district reserves the right to install flow restrictors — quarter-size disks that make it difficult to, say, shower and do a load of laundry at the same time.”

“In extreme cases, the district could shut off the tap altogether.”

Not that it’ll ever happen, but… tee hee. 🙂

4. QuadGMoto says:

“But we’r speshul! Reality doesnt apli to us!”

High penalties? Do they mean fines? Who expects that this will make any difference to those who can pay them out of loose pocket change? Or are the penalties something they simply can’t ignore, like jail time?

5. mazziflol says:

I live in Nevada and have family out in AZ, so this line made me chuckle:
    “What are we supposed to do, just have dirt around our house on four acres?”
    Our plot in AZ

• janc1955 says:

Looks familiar! (I live in Vegas, lived in AZ for a few years, and travel there fairly often to visit relatives.)

• mazziflol says:

I love the rugged arid country. Has its own beauty. Doesn’t need green grass all around to ruin it.

• janc1955 says:

I prefer the AZ desert (Sonoran) to the NV desert (Mohave). It’s purtier. The desert in general has grown on me, though I admit to still having my head turned by the lush greenery in other states.

• mazziflol says:

I agree with you, I prefer AZ as well. A few months back we drove up into NorCal almost to the Colorado border and camped in the redwoods. So lush and green, it was just like being in a scene from the Ewok Forrest in Return of the Jedi (being that’s where it was filmed and all that). Definitely still turns my head though.

• Les says:

The Mojave is considered high desert because it is caused by a rain shadow on the leeward side of the mountain range. Muir Wilderness/desert/White Mtns. lush meadows.

When I first moved to green lands, I was irritated I had to cut my grass once a week, sometimes twice. I think we “mowed the lawn” in the high desert about once a month.

• seeingeye2 says:

I prefer the Chihuahuan Desert. In the 80’s, my husband and I left the rat race of the city and moved to the desert near the Big Bend National Park in Texas. I loved everything about it, and loved every minute we lived there.

• Judgy says:

Ha! Where I live, in CA, there is a company that will PAINT YOUR GRASS (w/ a very-Californian Environmentally-Friendly Special Paint), but people think they charge too much, and are now wrecking what sparse grass they still have by spraying it w/ actual paint, LOL!

• PatriotUSA says:

The hinterlands on the east side of the Cascades are high desert. I also lived in Northern Arizona for almost 15 years and these spoiled elitist snobs will keep strapping on larger and larger red diapers until they dirty the entire nest and everyone else’s. Amazing that such people sully their own space thinking they are ‘speshul’ snowflakes. No need for huge lawns and acres of thirsty landscaping. I was practicing drought resistant landscaping back in the early 1980’s on the Mollogon Rim. I remember neighbors laughing at me and mocking me. Now that entire region is under strict water rationing down to what you can plant. I am no environazi but some of this is just common sense and why it eludes such elitist blood suckers.

6. Ursula says:

He hosts a conservative talk radio show.
    Carlsbad Ca is completing a desalinization plant, good thing they have foresight.
    Ca better start collecting water, they can’t increase their water supply by simply using less.
    It will be interesting to see how the earth worshippers deal with this. I heard Oprah is trucking in water and ruining the local roads.

7. franker01 says:

Read The Trilogy of the Wheat.
    This was all seen coming about a century ago.
    LOL

• Les says:

They have been trying to Save Mono Lake for as long as I remember.

I’m from an area where most people sold their water rights to LA and lived to regret it. Water bills were $400+ monthly if you actually watered your lawn or garden. Now the area has won a big lawsuit and is getting cheap water.

The 99 year leases the ranches had with the city have now expired. The life I knew growing up no longer exists. That’s kinda sad.

• Ursula says:

Looks like a great read thanks!

8. Mr. Right says:

Lets keep in mind that about 10% of the water use in California is residential…

So even everyone go poop in a hole in the backyard, let every living thing around the property die, bath using imported water from France, only use paper plates and plastic cutlery, etc…

This will make no difference to the big picture.

And to be noted, those houses are taxed at 1% and are estimated in the tens of millions.
    When you pay about $150,000 per household, you would expect that you are allowed to water your property without being painted by your government and media as ‘water terrorist’.

People should be red mad at how so much tax $$$ have not been used to manage the water system in California. Its a crime and the government is saying “not us” and instead ask the media to put the blame on tax payer.
    CA is now a gestapo state with tools to report your neighbor, yet, no acknowledgment on who is truly responsible for this water mismanagement.

And since no one is taking responsibility, nothing is going to change. And tax $$$ will continue to be wasted instead of being used for the greater good of its citizen.

.. and the people the media want us to hate.. Cher? with what 1/4 of an acre of lawn ..

What a travesty.

I would love for all the rich people to leave CA and move to another state. CA lives on taxing the rich, yet treat them like crap.

CA need a lesson in servicing its tax payers.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

So, the 1% pays 1% property tax.

Seems fair.

Just ask Warren Buffett.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

• SouthCentralPA says:

Just for the record, Buffett lives in Laguna Beach, not in the Ranches …

The real messed up thing that Buffett does is fight the repeal of the Estate Tax. The Estate Tax is central to his business model. The basic two ways around the Estate Tax are buying a ton of insurance (gee, guess what he sells), or selling off the family business to pay off the taxes (gee, guess what he buys).

9. libby says:

Any one of those would be a great place for a social mob pool event

10. RVAguy says:

A modest proposal would be to reduce the population by ~12 million consumers…

11. Sorry to be OT here, but this site may be infected with malware. Or not. Administrators???

I got a notice of a malware intrusion blocked by my security software, Norton. But, here’s what I received on my email notification that there was another message from TCTH:
    “FYI: At your page, Google Chrome reporting malware, diverting visitors
    URL: https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2011/02/01/a-new-beginning/
    Chrome sez:
    The site ahead contains malware
    Attackers currently on planetsmilies.net might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).
    Automatically report details of possible security incidents to Google. Privacy policy
    Back to safetyHide details
    Google Safe Browsing recently detected malware on theconservativetreehouse.com. Websites that are normally safe are sometimes infected with malware. The malicious content comes from planetsmilies.net, a known malware distributor.
    If you understand the risks to your security, you may visit this unsafe site before the dangerous programs have been removed.”

• stella says:

Could be a false malware alert. I don’t use Norton any longer, but I do have good, up to date security software with definitions up to date. No problem. I also use Pale Moon (similar to Firefox) rather than Chrome.

• Les says:

Panda Free is decent antivirus software. Norton sucks, take it off every machine I own as soon as I get it.

• PatriotUSA says:

I have noticed NO problems. I run and use several free programs and have for years now. Norton is the worst. Pale Moon is a good option and I will not use Chrome. Norton is crummy and a resource hog to boot.

• partyzantski says:

Stella,
        You are right on with Pale Moon.
        I just bought a “Windows Cleaner” USB stick at an office big box store yesterday, it was about $5 after discount. Seems to be doing what I needed it to.
        The siren song of a Linux distro is beckoning me hither, tho. For those going that road for the first time, I’d advise Ubuntu. Stupid name, good product. Just buy a Linux hobbyist magazine at a computer store, load it up off the supplied DVD. You can even run it off the DVD to test drive it, no installation needed. Or, partition the hard drive and be able to run either at will.

• stella says:

I’ve used Linux, bare bones, on corporate applications – our old firewall, for one. So far I have no desire to apply it to home use, as I am perfectly happy with Windows at the moment. For antivirus etc. I’m using Avast.

• Les says:

I had problems with Avast. And AVG. But I’m one of those cheapos who doesn’t pay for the subscription, I use the free. I feel like antivirus protection should be free (see my entitlement showing? haha).

I also run Malwarebytes when I think of it and the McAfee Stinger, both also free.

I installed the Adblock as suggest here and now I miss some videos and images, but I don’t have ads. I guess everything is a tradeoff.

• stella says:

I do have a subscription now for Avast, but pay it annually, and it’s not too expensive. You can disable Adblock any time you like.

• Judgy says:

Only in Obama’s America!

12. Mrs. Carifidy says:

One hundred years ago, San Diego suffered drought and turned to Charles Hatfield. He was an interesting character; self-taught sewing machine repairman and salesman turned rainmaker. He was offered $10,000 to fill Lake Morena Reservoir…which ultimately flooded. The San Diego leadership didn’t want to pay him, he sued twice and twice received a ruling that the rain and subsequent flood was an act of God. Whether his secret recipe made the rain, who can say. He took the formula to his grave.

Here’s his story in song and pictures:

13. CrankyinAZ says:

This could get interesting. Back in the day I worked for the AZ Dept. of Water Resources – dealing with water rights claims in SE AZ – earliest ones went back to the Mexican Land Grants… and really started hopping in the 1870s and 1880s. Tombstone was a blast to research I have to say. 🙂

AZ and CA water law are basically the same, so for me this isn’t rocket science. But keeping it all straight (First in Time = First in Right ) along with Continuous Use is the real issue for the State and Local Water Resource Boards. Those fools (pictured above) are waaaaay at the end of the line. I do have to say AZ has done a better job of handling their water issues – even if they are far from perfect. CA is just a disaster…

14. aprilyn43 says:

“We are not all equal when it comes to water” .. Oh the truth at last! Everyone has known that California is a semi-arid land, yet they’ve put all these people on this land. But, like “Yuhas” said the rich are better, deserve more. When the water runs out and people are thirsty it will get ugly!

I just don’t want this slime in my state! Stay in California! May be it will fall off into the ocean.

• Judgy says:

Don’t worry, honey–those of us dumb enough to live here are definitely getting our comeuppance! Over half of the people who live in my building have had to have their toilets replaced, because the first kind they try to sell to either you or your contractor don’t flush well, built that way ON PURPOSE to save water. The contractors don’t give a literal s___; THEY don’t have to live there!

15. partyzantski says:

Rancho Santa Fe is not sensitive to “high penalties”.
    What these icons should consider is the public good will they can create with a sense of shared suffering/sacrifice.
    Californians are not exactly the most rational people (for the most part) on the best of days. Orange County and Silicon Valley are about as sane as it gets on the coast.
    It is a concern that the masses of water-deprived locals may decide to treat them like the Italians treated Mussolini and “friends”.

16. ctdar says:

California borders an ocean, how in this day and age they can not process sea water to drinking water? Unless they don’t want to.

• ImpeachEmAll says:

Here’s a little something, a special treat for your mind.

Californians watch drinking water process into sea water.

“Andy Lipkis: The biggest misconception is that it doesn’t rain in California. The fact is, it does rain, even in Los Angeles and southern California. But we throw away most of that water because rather than collect it, we let it drain into the sea.”

• aprilyn43 says:

@Impeachemall – As for de-salenization, it’s supposed to be very costly. Which sounds like what those “deep pocket” folks, who believe their “special/better” need. So, “if” you want all the water your money can buy, “build” de-salenization plants (several) and totally get off public water.

• ytz4mee says:

The environmentalists are blocking the construction of any desalination plants.

Removing the salt leaves the discharge water hyper-salinated, which kills the aquatic life in and around the ejection site when the effluent is returned to the ocean.

• partyzantski says:

ctdar,
      Desalinization is very energy intensive. They have know various ways “how” for a long time. It is just that the costs were too high. I emphasize WERE.
      The amount of power for the requirement in California will mean that California will have to build either new fossil fuel powered plants or nuclear plants. No other means provides the constant flow of power (and very large amounts at that). Alternatives like wind and solar just are not suitable, not by a long shot.
      California can either have water AND many new power plants (choose your side effect pollution), or no water and no power plants. It is a lefty loonie paradise. Scratch a green enviro weenie, they are all pure red commie on the inside.

• ctdar says:

Thanks partyz…pure red commie insides indeed.

• John Denney says:

A guy came up with a less energy intensive means of desalinization using reverse osmosis.
        While it’s an energy hog to run, say, in the office cooler because of the energy required to create the necessary pressure to force water through the membrane, his idea was to put the membrane on the end of a long pipe, then lower the pipe deep enough into the ocean (a few thousand feet) that the water pressure at that depth would force the water through the membrane. The only energy required is then to pump it to the surface.

Seems that in principle, a guy on a sailboat could take a steel bucket, put a membrane over the top, lower it a couple thousand feet with his fishing pole, wait a few minutes, then reel in a bucket full of fresh water. 🙂

17. coeurdaleneman says:

To my credit, I don’t recognize any of the featured characters who own those mansions. One in the upper left might be a Kardashian, but that’s a guess

• amwick says:

I kinda thought the lower left was Cher.

• lovely says:

The picture of two people together is one of the Kardashians and Kanye West. Apparently Kanye is a narcissist even by Hollywood standards. I know this because there is a picture floating around of a black man kissing another black man and I thought it was a gay rights advocacy picture. I was informed by someone more in the know than me, that it is actually a poke at Kanye as it is a photoshopped picture of him kissing himself.

18. Be Ge says:

Why not cancel all these stupid regulations altogether? Simply sell everybody water at straight unsubsidized prices and call it a day. The worst water-hogging illegal-employing farms consuming most of the water will go out of business, consumption of water will fall and everybody else will have all the water they feel like. Heh, I known I am probably somewhere next to right-wing domestic terrorists for saying it out loud.

19. PatriotUSA says:

Some of the worst squabbles have been over water and this will once again be the case. Just a matter of time and it will happen in other countries first before it happens here, but it will. Just a matter of time.

20. Nanny G says:

Utah used to have more water to share with CA.
    But the National Security Agency’s Utah Data Center chews through 1.7 million gallons of water a day just to keep those computers cool.
    And, boy!, does the NSA get a deal on the price!
    Bluffdale charges the NSA $2.05 per 1,000 gallons.
    NSA paid Bulffdale only $31,692.10 for three months, January through March 2015.
    Think what CA could have done with all this extra water.

21. bluelmo14 says:

“If you can pay for it, he argues, you should get your water.”
    “(People) should not be forced to live…”
    “We pay significant property taxes based on where we live,”

When the liberal sheep realize they’ve been duped by marxist radicals… I just hope it isn’t too late.

22. John Denney says:

In a free market, price is determined by the law of supply and demand.

Water price is not determined by the free market, but by government agencies.

The conservative enclave at Rancho Santa Fe rightly holds the free market principle that if you are willing to pay the price, then you should be able to buy the product.

However, it strikes me that wasteful consumption which drives up the price of a product needed by all, including the poor, is an act of self love, rather than love for one’s neighbor.