Michelle Obama Mandated School Lunch Goes From Bad To Worse…

Yuck… but hey, the school says it’s compliant with Michelle’s dictates.

school lunch - michelle obamaPORTSMOUTH, Va. – That’s not really a fish filet with a whole wheat bun resting on top.

Nah, your eyes are playing tricks on you.

That’s what administrators at Virginia’s Portsmouth Public Schools want parents to believe after a mother took a photo of her child’s paltry school lunch and posted it on social media.  The mom says James Hurst Elementary served the lunch Tuesday.

After the photo began circulating around the community, Food Service Coordinator Jim Gehlhoff admitted the lunch “concerns us,” but added that it might not actually be as bad as it looks.

“Poor lighting and food presentation make this lunch unappealing,” he said in a statement released to the media.

He says it’s in compliance with the federal lunch rules championed by First Lady Michelle Obama.

“The meal in this photo and other meals served by Portsmouth Public Schools meet nutritional and USDA requirements,” according to the food service coordinator.

An unscientific poll by WAVY found 92.3 percent of respondents (10,138 people) did not believe the lunch was “acceptable.”  (read more)

This entry was posted in Education, FLOTUS. Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to Michelle Obama Mandated School Lunch Goes From Bad To Worse…

1. ImpeachEmAll says:

2. auscitizenmom says:

Would I eat it? Not only “no” but “H3ll NO.”

• BertDilbert says:

Whoever runs against Hillary should have “Returning edible school lunches to our schools” on his ticket. Might even make a good campaign commercial with that fish plate.

3. Aslan's Girl says:

If Jesus were there, He’d know how to multiply those loaves and fishes!

4. auscitizenmom says:

Wonder what Mooche’s two little darlings had Tuesday for lunch?

5. cosmo24 says:

Excuse me, but I don’t recall pulling the lever for Michelle Obama to make federal mandates.

6. Grimble Gromble says:

During Lent (on a feast day where we eat Fish) yes I would eat it, since Pascha (Easter) was last Sunday … Uh … NOPE, would not eat this.

• Uh…I don’t know what they did to that fish. Bake? Broil? It doesn’t look like it was cooked well.

I wouldn’t eat.

I still want to know why Michelle is allowed to tamper with school lunches. Where’s her dietician’s degree?

• joanfoster says:

I don’t even believe it is really fish. It looks like some other urchin from the sea or swamp, but not edible fish. This is disgusting. Hope Sidwell Friends gets their lunch menu plastered all over the internet so people understand that the elites in the WH don’t walk the talk.

7. kinthenorthwest says:

A friend of mine worked in the school district for a while and then went to work for Correctional Institution. Saw her one day and she goes– Did you realize Prisoners eat better than school kids…
    Yes they do.

8. lovely says:

“it might not actually be as bad as it looks” Food Service Coordinator Jim Gehlhoff.

But most likely it is.

9. Monroe says:

Funny how the so called unhealthy lunches in the past did not produce fat kids. Throughout my school years, I think there was only one kid that was a little overweight, more husky than overweight.

Kids now are fat for a variety of reasons including no PE, PC use and not outdoor fun time, and food from home. Nothing like seeing a portly 4yr being given a big gulp and big bag of faux buttered popcorn and already looking as if she had breasts. Schools haven’t even had a chance to fatten them up yet.

10. True Colors says:

No way Michelle Obama would eat that herself nor would she allow anyone to serve HER kids something so bizarre looking.

Typical ivory tower liberalism. Good for thee but not for me.

TC

11. BertDilbert says:

No matter how compliant it is, if the kids do not eat it, the guidelines are useless. In order to get the stated nutritional values, it must be consumed.

• joanfoster says:

Based on what I ate for lunch oh so many years ago, I didn’t realize I was eating in a 5 star cafeteria.

• Eskie Mom says:

No kidding. But even though, it was kinda funky in it’s own way
        (“cafeteria food”, not like at home), it was certainly acceptable. Some of it was downright delicious. Gen-tle-men, by the time we’d sat there smelling it cooking all morning, we were ready to eat.

12. cosmo24 says:

How did fish cooked ahead laying in wait get by the “Food Police?”

13. Worc1 says:

The only thing that would make that lunch appealing is a dark as night lunch room. It won’t help the flavor though.

14. maggiemoowho says:

I call this child abuse, any kid would be traumatized after having that disgusting unbattered fish carcass placed in front of them, even the corn is cringing at the sight of that pitiful fish. Michelle Obama should worry about her own fat ass before worrying about anyone else’s and stay the heck out of our childrens lives. Shame on that school for even thinking that was ok to serve to anyone.

15. aprilyn43 says:

Ok, let’s suppose this lunch meets the nutritional guidelines. Which one of you would eat that disgusting lunch? Do you know a child that would eat the lunch? And, may be more to the point, does anyone think Michelle Obama or her daughters would be fed a lunch like that, much less expected to eat it?
    Part of eatting food is the smell and preparation of it. That food looks like
    garbage and it probably smells like garbage.

So… Feed that garbage to Michelle Obama and her kids, everyday, twice a day; because, our kids are getting breakfasts’ and lunchs’ that look like this garbage. When I see Michelle Obama wolfing down this kind of crap, maybe I might find some respect for her.

16. wondering999 says:

OK, I’m going to pull hate for what I’m about to write. Here goes: I think Michelle Obama picked a perfectly appropriate focus for a First Lady with school lunches. And, I like the way she dresses, INCLUDING the outfit shown in the photo upthread. I hate that this topic has been politicized and completely disagree with the hate directed at Mrs. Obama because of her school lunch initiative.

More to the actual topic:
    School lunches do tend to be abominable. That photo exemplifies the situation.

With all the immigrants, legal and illegal, that have come into this country and who know how to cook cheap/tasty food, it’s surprising that school administrators haven’t been able to pick up some decent nutritious menus that aren’t costly, and to run with those. I’m thinking Chinese food (hopefully not involving cat meat…) Central American rice/bean/garlic combinations, and more.

Old-fashioned American country food (beans, greens, cornbread, squash…and sometimes, bacon and biscuits?), real oatmeal for breakfast, and other traditional dishes that a lot of older people grew up with, those are not expensive, especially when cooked in batches for more than a couple of people. When a cook knows what he or she is doing, inexpensive food can be delicious. There are lots of good cooks in this country. They just aren’t working in the schools, generally speaking (although I did have a wonderful neighbor who worked for a school cafeteria before she got a better-paying job at a Catholic children’s charity).

This situation is fixable if not politicized. Some of the community colleges have Subway and Chik Fil A cater. Those local organizations provide better than what’s in the photo. It would be interesting to find out if some of the major corporations could send in vans of decent AFFORDABLE lunches already prepared, at lower cost to the public than the sad food displayed in the photo.

• auscitizenmom says:

I have a suggestion. Michelle (and I only use her name out of respect for you) should have the chef at her daughter’s exclusive high-falutin school prepare menus equal to that which her daughters are fed. Then, I might be satisfied. I grew up eating school lunches and as bad as I thought they were, none of them ever compared to that carp that was on that plate.

• Les says:

Maybe chicken a la king wasn’t so bad afterall.

• wondering999 says:

I do think John Galt’s “prison food” photo downthread looks a LOT better than that school lunch. I haven’t managed to post photos anywhere yet, but “Meals on Wheels” provides decent food to elderly clients. There are some shutterstock images at this link:

Michelle Obama didn’t prepare that lousy carp on yellow styrofoam. Some municipal school authority did, and it’s a fair question why kids should be provided with such lousy inedible food. Are they targets for punishment somehow?

• rashomon says:

Where, I must ask, are the parents, the teachers and (let’s not forget) the ever-loving principal who is supposed to be overseeing some of these details? Why not a conversation at the superintendent’s level with the food providers and cafeteria staff to make better choices for the dollars spent or is another example of the no-bid Crony Feudalism amongst those with connections in school districts that are merely Too Big To Fail?

• ctdar says:

Giant sea slug

• janc1955 says:

I kinda liked my school lunches, as I recall. Specially those rice krispy cookies! 🙂

• joanfoster says:

I am not looking for an argument, but Moochelle’s apparel is not the topic of discussion. What is the topic is her putting herself front and center of child obesity and proper nutrition. She was not elected nor appointed by any education/nutritional agency which provides guidelines for school lunches to take on the role she usurped. There is a place for the influence of a First Lady and what appears on the lunch plate of my child is not the place. Laura Bush was a reading advocate, but you didn’t see her setting mandates for reading standards in school. No, she lead by example always encouraging parents to develop a love of reading in their children. What Moochelle has done is counter productive. If anything, it will most likely drive parents/and children into the drive thru of every corner fast food joint. Now you can be stupid and wear designer clothing, ghome sayin?

• wondering999 says:

It’s ok, I don’t mind an argument. Sometime I guess I look for arguments just for entertainment (I’m not trying to raise your blood pressure…or mine…)

I think child obesity, proper nutrition are public business. Just like reading (Laura Bush’s project) or health issues that other First Ladies focused on (was it Gerald Ford’s wife who opened up discussion about breast cancer?)

Education is so costly with such poor results — including food. That fish plate is just dismal. The mom who broadcast the photo was doing a public service. And if Miz Obama causes people who ordinarily ignore terrible food to focus on that, she’s done a good thing. That was one nasty lunch

• kinthenorthwest says:

I have looked at the 2008 pictures of Michelle and the 2014/2015 pics…It is very obvious that she has put on 10 or more lbs..To me it wouldn’t be a big deal since I could probably lose a few myself..However when you are going to be criticizing the weight of others, you better be walking the talk.

• Justice_099 says:

You know, I’d give her some credit if it was implemented intelligently. But, like everything else the Obama’s have done, they mess it up.

I am all for encouraging good nutrition in this country, but you can’t possibly look at that plate of food and not think “let them eat cake!”

Homeless people eat better than that.

• Eskie Mom says:

The people who politicized this are Mrs 0bama & the left. School lunches had become a little paltry by the 80s (when I had lunch with my stepson. Pineapple “tidbits” are the broken pieces from sliced pineapple, packaged & sold as “first quality”.), but we ate exactly as you described when I was growing up in the 60s & 70s. Considering the size of Mrs 0bama’s behind & the fact that her daughters are quite svelte, in spite of their lavish cuisine, she might have chosen a different “cause”. Perhaps a ‘war’ on high fructose corn syrup or video games or safer neighborhoods- so that children, could, once again, stay out playing till dinner time (or dark, whichever came first)

This is what “a balanced diet” was back then- meat, 2 vegetables (sometimes macaroni salad or a peach/ pear/ pineapple slice on lettuce with grated cheese as 1 of those), bread (usually a roll or cornbread- occasionally a slice of “homemade” bread with butter) & (HORRORS!) a desert- cake, a jam bar, pudding, jello, or cobbler. If it was hamburger day (usually about once a month), a big cookie. Fish sticks or salmon patties for the meat on Friday. Believe it or not, there’s a reason for all those sections on a food tray. This stuff nowadays would barely require an appetizer plate. ‘Hunger free”? Really? Must be like the “affordable” in 0bamacare.

Our food was prepared in the cafeteria (not prepackaged) & except for the chopped broccoli or salisbury steak/ meatloaf, it was very good. We had enchiladas on Wednesdays that I’d pay big money for today. Better yet, a cookbook containing those recipes.

Speaking of “big money”, somebody is making a healthy profit on this third rate, surplus looking food. It pays quite well to be politically connected. (School districts are all about politics)

My gosh, there are MREs more appetizing that this detritus. (Oscar Madison was right. Now it is garbage. H/T to Miss Stella)

• lumoc1 says:

It is not with hate or from a desire to insult, but with great sadness that I would describe your comment as one made by a person fitting the Wikipedia description of a “Useful idiot”.

17. zephyrbreeze says:

I actually gagged when I saw the photo. That is disgusting and they complained that it was poor lighting? Is everything about “optics” with these shallow phonies?

18. labrat says:

Schools and government entities in general should get out of the business of telling people what to eat. PERIOD.

Parents should feed their children. If they can’t feed them, they have no business having them.

• wondering999 says:

The Army historically disagrees with that, because they objected to getting stunted recruits during World War II, and obese recruits lately:

• Lucille says:

The article appears to be for subscribers only. Did the author report that WWI recruits often were malnourished/stunted because the men had come through a Depression era childhood where the scramble for food was a daily occurrence.

As for present-day recruits being overweight, I doubt that came from school lunches, but from over-eating fast food and drinking colas.

BTW, I think Mrs. Obama’s dress is lovely and she looks fine in it. As for disparaging comments on her physique or weight, it’s her politics, intrusive statism and racism that we find reprehensible and she needs to be called out on those instead.

• Lucille says:

WWII, I meant.

• Monroe says:

Well that sentiment about appearance should also apply to Hillary. But when commenters hare go after Hillary, I don’t get to riled up bc there are times when the woman becomes a caricature and the insult is kinda invited. Michelle deserves the same.

• Lucille says:

Women don’t deserve to be disparaged for the looks they were born with. A good percentage of women in the world naturally have big behinds and complexions which are not clear of blemish. It’s advisable to be as presentable as possible, using enhancements such as attractive clothes for the body type and age range, colors, makeup, hairstyle; and to keep oneself healthy and trim.

What we dislike about Michelle and Hillary is their politics. Everything else should be looked at dispassionately. The best rule is, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

• wondering999 says:

Lucille, I’m surprised that you don’t get directly to the link. When I click, I get straight to the article, no subscription. At the end of the article, I have added bolding for “$4.5 billion more”… A lot of public tax money/debt is involved in school issues, and is evidently being scammed. Following is part of what the article said:

“Recruitment isn’t the only problem posed by obesity. According to the report, the government spends tens of millions of dollars every year to train replacements for service members discharged because of weight problems.

“This isn’t the first time the military has gotten involved in the debate over school lunches. During World War II, military leaders had the opposite problem, reporting that many recruits were rejected because of stunted growth and inadequate nutrition. After the war, military leaders pushed Congress to establish the national school lunch program so children would grow up healthier.

“The program was established in 1946, “as a measure of national security,” according to the original bill language.

“Today, the group is urging Congress to eliminate junk food and high-calorie beverages from schools, put more money into the school lunch program and develop new strategies that help children develop healthier habits.

“The school lunch bill, currently awaiting a Senate vote, would establish healthier options for all foods in schools, including vending machine items. The legislation would spend $4.5 billion more over 10 years for nutrition programs.”

Did the bill pass?

• wondering999 says:

Drats, should have ended the italics before the last line. The article is from several years ago. Just wondering if that lousy fish dinner in the photo is what the kids and taxpayers get for an extra “4.5 billion more”… and if the money is being diverted elsewhere.

• Lucille says:

I have an ancient browser and that might be the problem. I get all kinds of notices from websites about having to update, but so far no offers to pay for it. The browser freebie updates won’t even update anymore…LOL!

19. “Poor lighting and food presentation make this lunch unappealing.”

But of course! How else would one show a Japanese prison camp meal???!!!

20. hues10 says:

If hope and changer were horses, beggars would ride.

21. Father Paul Lemmen says:

Reblogged this on A Conservative Christian Man.

22. Mrs. Carifidy says:

What concerns me is 7.7% of those polled find the lunch acceptable. They must be found…and removed from the voting rolls, if not the gene pool.

23. rashomon says:

My mother makes me chicken,
    Her chicken makes me cough.
    I wish than when she made it
    She would take the feathers off.
    ~~”Unfaithful”, the movie

• kinthenorthwest says:

Now a days its a status symbol to have a lunch packed from home…
      Having a lunch from home used to mean you were poor.

• ctdar says:

I’ve always made my children’s lunches that had their favorites and at same time made it well rounded so confident they would eat it. In fact when my son was on wrestling team I’d get up early to make him salad with broiled chicken and tablespoon of dressing in order to be sure he’d make the weigh in on match day. I often had to make extra coz the girls wanted to sit with him marveling that his lunch was so great. 🙂

24. kathyca says:

That is vile. I won’t believe it’s an actual school lunch until I see a photo in context.

25. D S Craft says:

Since when does the First Lady of the United States get to mandate anything? I thought laws were made by the legislative branch of government.

26. MaryfromMarin says:

“That’s a snail, baby.”

27. Screenshot says:

Reblogged this on News247-365.

28. Les says:

I start to feel badly for the kids, then I think: Don’t complain about your free lunch. You know most of those are free lunch meals.

Mine always packed a lunch except for the “good pizza” Fridays. I wouldn’t let my kid starve all day. If some people do, that’s on them. The kids used to laugh at all the “free lunch” kids who threw around wads of cash at school and had $200 shoes. Some people have messed up priorities.

You shouldn’t take a pic of your crappy free lunch with your iPhone…

29. francesmuldoon says:

GMO corn, (if that’s what those pellets are) and GMO wheat bun (made with various chemicals banned elsewhere in the world) plus a so-called fish fillet that likely has mercury or other heavy metals permeating it. Absolutely disgusting. And to make it worse, I’ve read of schools confiscating lunches that kids bring from home because they do not conform?

30. georgiafl says:

In some schools, peanut butter sandwiches are forbidden because of some kids’ peanut allergies.

Another problem, many school lunch room employees really do not know how to cook, make good food and make it look and taste appetizing. They get food pre-prepared, processed and heat it in large ovens and steamers.

• francesmuldoon says:

This is true of our local high school…They have a fully equipped kitchen that I am sure was in use at some point…but the opt for pre-made and ore-packaged mystery food that just requires heating. My grandson, who is a voracious eater refuses to eat the school provided lunches, and would rather wait until he gets home to eat.

31. Centinel2012 says:

Reblogged this on Centinel2012 and commented:

They may meet the standards but they also set the standards so they always meet the standards even if you would die if you tried to live off what they serve!

32. Roy says:

I actually would not feed that lunch to my dog for fear of what chemicals it contains or whether it was actually fresh.

The contrast between the prison and school food should be shoved in politician’s faces.

33. John Denney says:

When I was a kid, the faculty ate the same lunches, unless they brought their own brown bag.

The grossest thing I remember was orange jello with grated raw carrots in it when I was in about second grade. At that Catholic school, we were not allowed to go out to play after lunch until we had eaten everything on our trays. I was sitting there alone in the cafeteria with just the untouched jello on my tray and a nun scolded me into taking a bite. It literally made me vomit. I was allowed to leave then. 🙂 Strangely enough, the dish sounds good now.

When I was in junior high (8 & 9th grade), I ate two school lunches nearly every day, and ate like a horse at home, too. Meat, potato, veg, bread, dessert. Ate it all, though I did go through a phase where milk just tasted awful, but Mom put sugar and vanilla in it to make it palatable for me. Still started my sophomore year of high school weighing only 89 pounds, though.

But I digress.

That’s not a lunch; looks like a Home Ec class fail.

• Eskie Mom says:

You men. You sound like my husband. DH still wears 30-34 jeans. He still eats like a pig & half of what’s on my plate. (Lord, I hate stuff in jello or ice cream- lol well maybe not chocolate chip. Carrot & raisin salad was my nemesis. Yeech)

What it looks like is bait. Being on a bay, one of those kids should have checked to see if any fish would even eat it. (They probably would’ve, but wouldn’t that have been something? Animals are not stupid.)

34. Shanaynay Dawson says:

Michelle…I think you missed something, honey. You forgot to add aesthetic appeal…you know, the thing that would actually make the food (or WHATever it is) look appetizing.