Options Regarding the Identity of Jesus : 2

cross in swirling clouds“I’m ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don’t accept His claim to be God.”

That is the one thing we must not say.  A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic–on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg–or else he would be the devil of hell.

You must make your choice.  Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a mad man or something worse.

Lion, AslanYou can shut him up for a fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon, or you can fall at his feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher.

He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.

–C. S. Lewis

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Options Regarding the Identity of Jesus : 2

1. Chip Bennett says:

Lord, lunatic, or liar: one of my favorite truths C.S. Lewis ever articulated.

• yakmaster2 says:

There are more and more who call themselves Christian, but don’t believe in the divinity of Jesus. Sadly, they have entirely missed the point of his existence. In fact, they’ve missed the purpose of the ancient Christianity movement.
      I also am puzzled by those, like my OWN church’s Methodist minister, who have said other religions may also be pathways to God and we should not judge whether they are or not. She was shocked when I replied, “Well then, why am I spending time in this church Bible Study class?”
      I can only hold fast to MY Faith.

2. kinthenorthwest says:

Hopefully I am not misunderstanding you(If so I apologize)
    Christ is the son of God, thus that makes him 1/2 God…He is our/my savior who sacrificed himself for our/my sins. I am looking forward to seeing Jesus and our Heavenly Father someday soon. Probably sooner than I realize, because time seems to be passing ever so fast.

• smiley says:

if you believe in The Trinity, G-d is a Triune God.
      The Father.
      The Son.
      The Holy Spirit.
      maybe more than our finite minds can really comprehend but in Genesis, G-d speaks of “we”.
      and plenty of Gospel verses where Yeshua confirms who He is, including “If you have seen me, you have seen G-d.”
      the witnesses to the empty tomb and His walking amongst them before The Ascension speaks to the REALITY of His Resurrection and the victory over death/sin which was the Purpose for G-d presenting Himself in the flesh…to overcome the flesh (b/c we cannot do it ourselves) so that we can stand before Him sinless, thru Messiah’s work on the cross and the Resurrection.

its so beautiful in its perfect logic.
      just believe.
      and accept Him.
      and He will send The Holy Spirit to give discernment (among other things).

Yeshua has fulfilled The Old Testament prophecies, and has fulfilled the Spring (Jewish) Feasts.
      He has yet to fulfill the Fall Feasts.

• chiavarm says:

Using your logic of equal proportion, Jesus would be 1/3 God. Remember that there is God the father, Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit/Ghost. However as Christians, we believe in the Holy Trinity: The Christian Godhead as ONE God in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We do not need to make metaphors, just believe in the word. God is all powerful, we even begin to grasp that. Imagine if you will a nuclear physicist explaining fission to a two year old, the comprehension gap is greater than that. We have faith.

• Jett Black says:

Jesus is wholly God and was wholly man. Only God can make such a paradox actual. Only God could be the unblemished lamb who sacrificed himself to atone for all the sins of all the world, once and for all. Full faith in Him as God, our savior, rock, and redeemer is all that is required for every person’s salvation. From that faith, good works and treasures in Heaven will flow. Hallelujah! He is risen indeed!

• Sharon says:

It’s not proportional – Jesus clearly stated several times, by implication and in plain language in John 14 – “The Father and I are One….

John 10:30 is what I had in mind – the discussion in John 14 establishes something similar but the very plain language is in John 10 in His conversation with those whom He made nervous a lot.

• cohibadad says:

Amen.

The Jews picked up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father; for which of them are you going to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “It is not for a good work that we are going to stone you but for blasphemy, because you, being a man, make yourself God.” Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I said, you are gods’? If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—do you say of him whom the Father consecrated and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? If I am not doing the works of my Father, then do not believe me; but if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.”

(John 10:31-38 ESV)

3. aprilyn43 says:

Jesus is the Son of God

• Chip Bennett says:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God… The Word became flesh, and made his dwelling among us.

Seems pretty clear: Jesus = God.

Jesus claimed to forgive sin – an act that can only be done by God, and understood explicitly as a claim of deity to the Jews of the time.

I would also encourage you to study the usage of “I Am” in the Bible – both when God uses it as His name in the Old Testament, and when Jesus uses it as a reply to the Pharisees when they charge him with claiming to be God.

Jesus made it very clear, and left no room for alternative, that he is God.

• cohibadad says:

ESV has many excellent resources. Here is one:

The “I am” Statements
        Twenty-three times in all we find our Lord’s meaningful “I am” (ego eimi, Greek) in the Greek text of this Gospel (John 4:26; 6:20, 35, 41, 48, 51; 8:12, 18, 24, 28, 58; 10:7, 9, 11, 14; 11:25; 13:19; 14:6; 15:1, 5; 18:5, 6, 8). In several of these, he joins his “I am” with seven tremendous metaphors, which are expressive of his saving relationship toward the world.
        “I am the bread of life” (John 6:35, 41, 48, 51).
        “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12).
        “I am the door of the sheep” (John 10:7, 9).
        “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11, 14).
        “I am the resurrection and the life” (John 11:25).
        “I am the way, and the truth, and the life” (John 14:6).
        “I am the true vine” (John 15:1, 5).

4. Jett Black says:

Hallelujah! He is risen indeed!

5. kafir says:

I need to read that and Great Divorce again.
    Thanks for reminding me.

6. Rachelle says:

The first time I read the New Testament I was puzzled to see that Jesus actually did not claim to be the Son of God in the Synoptic Gospels. If memory serves, he referred to himself as the Son of Man. Moreover, when he was hailed as Lord he rebuked the caller saying none is Lord except God. There is plenty of room for confusion in the Gospels, hence 2,000 years of disputes and heresies.

• Chip Bennett says:

That wasn’t a rebuke; it was an emphasis of fact.

• cohibadad says:

“I and the Father are one.”

(John 10:30-38 ESV)

7. seeingeye2 says:

Jesus is the Word of God made flesh, the Way and the Door to the Resurrection from the dead. The “Maiden Daughter of Israel,” that is, the group of people who had not known man (Adam’s religious doctrines), eventually began to write the Word of God in a permanent, recorded form so it could be distributed throughout the world of flesh (the world of matter). The Word of God was written with pen and ink upon material objects, and the Word was then “made flesh.” Those who eat the Word’s flesh and drink His blood (His spirit), believing in those Words, will receive understanding and be shown the Way to Resurrection from this world of the dead.

8. doodahdaze says:

Every Christian holiday the worms in the MSM come out with shows to prove he was just Joe Six Pack.

9. Nanny G says:

Either CNn or MSNBC, in a bid to improve their ratings, has hired a host who authored a book about Jesus Christ.
    Problem is the writer is a Muslim.
    Oh, and not a theologian or even degree’d in Christian studies.
    He is just another Muslim who believes the koran about Jesus: just a prophet, not the Son of God, not a redeemer of mankind, not the way truth or light of the world, superseded by Mo.

10. ThankYou,Treepers says:

Jesus was not a prophet. He is the Son of The Living God and by the wonder of God beyond our comprehension Jesus is one in being with God The Father.

Calling Jesus who is god a prophet is infinitely more insulting than calling a man a dog because God is infinitely more superior to humanity including the prophets than man is superior to dog.

It is the work of the devil that has some calling Jesus God a mere prophet.

But the devil will fail and be vanquished along with his followers who attempt to deny the divinity of The Christ Jesus.

11. unitron says:

Lewis’s premise seems to be that the only two choices possible are either Jesus was the son of God, or he was just a mortal but the New Testament is still a complete and completely accurate account of his life and what he said.
    (Because if it’s not, it’s hardly fair to judge him by it)

So if the latter is true, then God would have had to have intervened to make the latter half of the latter true, ’cause there’s no way humans get it that right all on their own over all of those years.