yoda-smoking-weed

The figures are beginning to reflect the sheer scope of the Colorado explosion in Marijuana use.  Below you will find the Colorado Department of Revenue – Marijuana Enforcement Division, first annual report which covers “most of” 2014.

What is critical to remember is the volume of distribution in relationship to the relatively limited number of legal local jurisdictions where Marijuana is allowed.   There are 321 local municipalities throughout Colorado, Pot is still banned in 228 of those local jurisdictions.

Legalized Recreational Marijuana is only legal in 67 local municipalities. Those 67 Municipalities sold 148,000 lbs, and the growth in retail distribution is exponential from January ’14 to December ’14.

The Hill has an article reviewing the report. However it should be noted that The Hill is generally a pro-Pot, pro-Legalization media entity. (Via The Hill) Colorado consumers purchased nearly 2.4 million ounces of marijuana during the state’s first year of recreational pot, though medical pot sales still dominated, according to the first-ever official figures on the volume of sales, released Friday.

Marijuana GrowingOutlets in Colorado sold nearly 150,000 pounds of marijuana last year, including 109,578 pounds of medical marijuana and 38,660 pounds of retail, the Department of Revenue’s Marijuana Enforcement Division said in its first annual report.

[…]  As of December, there were 833 retail licenses and 1,416 medical licenses in Colorado, though only 67 of the state’s 321 jurisdictions allow recreational and medical pot sales. Last year, sales hit $700 million in the state, including $313 million from recreational pot.

Consumers bought 2 million units of marijuana-infused edibles for medical purposes in 2014, as well as 2.85 million units for recreational purposes, according to the 40-page document.  (read more)

*Note: no statistics available on the increases in Cheeto sales !

This entry was posted in Marijuana Issues, propaganda, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to High Times – Colorado First Year Weed Stats: 148,000 lbs Sold in 2014 – Cannabis, Weed, Dope, Pot, Mary-Jane, Doobies….

1. John Galt says:

Captain Obvious: Disproportionate number of pot heads in Boulder County.

2. labrat says:

No time to look it up, but I believe I read that there is still a significant amount of “illegal” pot being sold in the state as well. Article I read, said it was cheaper – no taxes.

3. chick20112011 says:

Puff, Pass and Paint. Class in CO in which you smoke pot while you share your joint and paint.

• smiley says:

also a lot of weed smoked at the workplaces now, on breaks, outside, so I hear…amongst “professionals”.
      impedes focus, memory, performance, meeting deadlines and getting along with co-workers.
      altered states…
      what could go wrong there?

4. lovemygirl says:

As a person who smoked pot in college and would currently qualify for medical MJ I am dead set against it. The medical value is way overblown and adding another intoxicant does nothing to help society in the least. MJ has been shown to be destructive to the brains of young people who use it and so many users think they are just fine driving while high. I am fine with fines for use but I don’t think it should be encouraged by society.

• Cyber says:

As a person so smoked pot in college like the average person would breathe air in college, I concur to a point. I had a chance to sample what today’s higher-quality pot is like and, well, just wow. It’s so much more potent than even the good stuff was back in the day, it’s almost alarming how potent it is. No way can people smoke that and drive. I took two small hits from a guy who had medical MJ and it really didn’t help my golf game any that afternoon.

• Cyber says:

so = who

• lovemygirl says:

Sometimes I feel like an old fogey but I also associate pot with the far left because of the 60 & 70s. I see a lot of self centeredness with the push for legal pot which turns me off as well. I’ve turned into that old guy who yells at the kids on his grass 😉

• canadacan says:

Reminds me of a Clint Eastwood movie and what was the name of a car or something.I got it Grand Torino.
          what’s a Twinkie

• JohnP says:

I once threatened to crush the skull of my doper roommate when I found he used my meerschaum pipe to smoke dope. Of course I had to wait until he was sober to do it.
          It took me weeks to get the taste out of it.

• People feel the same exact way about opiates, noting their horrifying withdrawal symptoms in addition to everything you just stated. Makes me question the motives of those who oppose MMJ but are fine with other, far more harmful prescription drugs.

Furthermore, each individual has a different reaction to prescription drugs. You may or may not experience a list of side effects because we all have different body chemistries and thus react differently to these drugs. Just because something has no medicinal value for you doesn’t mean it has no medicinal value for everybody else.

Thank you for your time.

5. Sentenza says:

Gives new meaning to the “Mile High State.”

6. Zeke says:

I bet most Colorado taxpayers are happy to be making money off potheads rather than spending it to investigate, arrest, prosecute and incarcerate them. Plenty of conservatives like myself and William F. Buckley – think true conservatism demands opposition to the drug war, which is perhaps the biggest big government boondoggle ever.

• wondering999 says:

I don’t use intoxicants in general. My beer/wine intake is miniscule because I live in an area where I may have to drive at any time, and I don’t dare drive intoxicated because I don’t want to hurt myself or others by manuevering a dangerous machine while incapacitated. (Also, I find that alcohol messes up my sleep patterns). I agree in principle with discouraging irresponsible behaviors (like driving, or doing other work that requires full consciousness, while “under the influence” of chemicals).
      One of the basic lessons of Microeconomics 101 is that trying to control items that people want — rent control, drug control, alcohol prohibition — just drives up prices, leads to evasive behaviors, and DOESN’T WORK. Let Coloradans (and others) smoke dope if they want. However, I would still avoid relying on people who are doped up/sloppy from whatever substance, whether it’s pot or alcohol.

• Be Ge says:

“War on drugs” costs fortunes and does not do much good to the society. My basic idea behind substance use or abuse is that the said use or abuse should be permitted provided the consequences of the said use/abuse do not incur costs upon the non-consuming public. If we allow C2H5OH (a neurotoxin and poison well-known for side-effects like after-high aggression and lack of coordination which makes, say, driving, dangerous), we should be allowing all substances that are less harmful, such as cannabis.
      That said, the “harm” and “incurred costs” are not only a functions of the substance per se, but also of the consumers. Due to the later circumstance, there is no such thing as a silver bullet or “universal solution” here. Exampli gratia, there is no problem in getting your hands almost on any substance in the Netherlands. This is by design. There is no such thing as a lifechanger effect because of the drug policy — at least, for now. There are a few “extra” local abusers, of course, but in general — nothing have changed much, save for drug-related crimes and incarcerations rates going down to almost 0. On the other side of the spectrum is 19th century China. During the Opium wars (a piece of something to be ashamed of for the West), it was not uncommon to have up to 1/3d of the working-age population of a certain large area living their daydreams as opposed to being useful working/taxpaying society members. All sorts of problems resulted from huge number of abusers — all the way up to local economic collapse. Asians remember their history, and I cannot really say anything against per se draconian anti-drug laws in places like China, Thailand or Singapore.
      The above said — I believe the current US population is a lot closer to the Dutch as opposed to being closer to the Chinese. Hence, I am for a legalize. The people should have a freedom of killing their braincells with anything they want. We have legal means like alcohol or TV/Hollywood. There should be more — from THC to LSD, psilocybin, or Salvia divinorum / ayahuasca preparations — provided the use/abuse does not incur costs on the rest of us. Taxes and insurance policies can for most if not all of the public costs, though.

7. taqiyyologist says:

“Dave’s not here, man!”

8. Dr. Bogus Pachysandra says:

I was a working musician in the 60’s thru the 80’s. 5 to 7 nights a week. If I had a day off, I’d come home from my day job, smoke half a joint, and sit down at my pedal steel and practice. It really did help my concentration. As time went on, it became 3 tokes, then two, then one, then none, as it had gotten so much more potent, that all it did was make me extremely nervous. Today’s pot is way, way stronger than pot in the 60’s! Thanks, but no thanks!

9. Nanny G says:

So, there’s a whole lot of enforcers being hired.
    And a whole lot of out-of-compliance pot sellers being busted.
    So, bottom line, does the state make enough money to balance out all the new costs?
    I had read they do not.
    Add on top of that the od’ing of children who eat what they thought was candy as well as the adults who fall off of stuff and get hurt and I wonder if it isn’t a net loss for CO.

10. Daniel says:

California and other states suffering from losses due to over-taxation should, in theory, be the next to legalize pot in this way. It’s either that, or support the war or drugs the way Obama supports the war on terror.

11. canadacan says:

oh I knew about the dessert I thought it had a hidden meaning haha

12. Allfal says:

Let me take an unpopular position. Legalize every controlled substance. Make it all unregulated and available over the counter. Just as it was in the early 1900’s, before the Feds stepped in and made Doctors obtain a then free license to dispense opiates but before they banned cocaine in consumer products. Like most gov intervention, it took away a freedom and made citizens pay for the privilege.

I believe in social Darwinism. If an individual wants to poison themselves, have at it. There were drug addicts then, when everything was legal. For the most part, they were socially shunned. It was a self correcting problem. There was also casual use. Great Grandma may hay had some laudanum in her tea to ease the day. Great uncle whoever may have used a cocaine laced product to help him get through that tough 2nd shift. There was no great cause for concern. Society punished those that descended into addiction when they ceased to contribute to society and tolerated the choice of those that used substances otherwise.

Most abused drugs are relatively cheap to produce. It’s the regulation, taxes and laws that make them pricey. Eliminate the laws and regulations, make it legal over the counter or self manufactured and we go back to what we had. A self correcting problem.

• Octavian says:

The only issue I see with that is that the pendulum is so far on one side, that when we let go, it will swing really far to the other side, and it will take quite a while for the situation to normalize.

13. Judy says:

Allfal’s post reminded me that my grandmother used hashish, smoked cigarettes, and used aspirin like candy. I’ve never used alcohol, tobacco, or drugs. People will ask, and I’ve usually replied, “I was never interested.” Now, I remember why. She came to live with us when she was in her 70s. She weighed 78 lb and was bent like a question mark. She hadn’t smoked in years but still had an off scent. Most of her stomach had been removed because aspirin ate it. She was a bitter, nasty, hurtful woman. She made quite the impression on a little girl.

14. Pingback: Colorado | Americans Smoke 148,000 pounds of Colorado Marijuana in 2014 [Video]