New Year Gentle Reminder

“Seek first to understand, then to be understood”.

treehouse21.) First, please READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD – and the full context of any discussion thread you wish to participate in. Skipping to the comments to express an opinion without reading the content of the discussion is not helpful. Often we find many of the points injected into comments are already outlined in the construct of the thread itself.

2.) STAY ON TOPIC – please do not post something unrelated to the specific matter and content of the thread subject. There is a ALWAYS a daily open thread available for any subject you feel should get attention. However, if we are currently investing time in a current case discussion (ex. Zimmerman/Martin, Wilson/Mike Brown, Chambers) DO NOT, post those topics on the Daily Open Thread.

3.) NARROW YOUR THOUGHTS – Quality beats quantity. Construct your comments to target specific areas and not broad generalizations about the discussion topic at hand. If you have four or five disconnected points, break them up into individual comments.

4.) AVOID GENERALIZATIONS – words like “he, she, they, it, them” should rarely be used. Spell out “who” using the name, spell out who “they” are at the beginning of every sentence in your paragraph; so that there is clarity as to who you are talking about.

5.) BLOCK PARAGRAPHS – Do not post huge blocks of text. Think of the reader, and modify your presentation for understanding, not for exclaiming. Do not write to yourself, you are writing to others, so please structure your presentations such that other people can grasp and enjoy. NEVER post massive blocks of text without paragraph breaks.

6.) PARAGRAPHS – Should NEVER be longer than two or three sentences taking up three to five standard lines of text. Again, you are writing to understand, not to be understood, the emphasis should be on the reader comprehending what you are sharing.

7.) SPELLING AND PUNCTUATION – This is not school and we do not demerit for poor spelling, nor do we allow anyone to call others out for the same. However, if your construct is too poorly written the context is lost and important details can be missed.

8.) TIME – Everyone ‘s time is valuable. Some of our discussion threads are 500 to 1,000+ comments long. Please try not to duplicate the commentary that might already exist and has been missed because the entire thread has not been analyzed. We try to limit the comments to 500 and then post another related thread, but with some research threads it is challenging to do so because we do not want to break a continuity.

9.) THOUSANDS ARE WATCHING – For every person writing, there are 1000 or more reading lurkers. Do not write anything you would not say in your own living room. Do not disparage our conversation with vulgarity, profanity, or any expressions of any “ism”.

Troll10.) MODERATION / FILTERING THE HATE – Because of our honest approach at seeking facts and truth, and openly discussing various analytical theories along the way, we are bombarded by those with ulterior motives which include:

• Intentional efforts to distract
  • Intentional diatribes to affix labels to our objectives
  • Intentional expressions of rabid hate, vulgarity, and threats.
  • Trolling and professional obfuscation.
  • Concern Trolling as a tool of distraction and derailing conversation.
  • Psy-ops and Intentional Efforts to diminish fact-finding.

We do our earnest best to stop the agenda hoard at the moderation gates, however sometimes they get through. If you see something untoward say something. When a new comment surfaces that we view is only presented to argue, we watch carefully – but we also are not perfect. You can help. Feel free to alert us via email.

11.) MANNERS MATTER – Simple kindnesses and courtesy should always be present in tone and content. When writing ask yourself before you hit “send” does this add value?

SUMMARY: You, the Treehouse community have historically accomplished a lot. Through exhaustive research and analysis our accuracy and reputation for truthful fact-finding, regardless of where it leads, is well regarded. Retain that distinction of intellectual armament.

We are The Conservative Treehouse, not because of political affiliation, but rather because the word “conservative” expresses our outlook. We would rather be deep, than wide; we would rather be honest, than popular; we avoid semantics in favor of accurately presenting both intention and meaning.

We are bold in our willingness to go into conversational places where others do not, and we are brave enough to stand firm for principles which are time tested.

We would rather advertise our outlook so the viewer can understand our perspective on a particular subject, than deceptively claim we are something else and deliver an inherently biased view. The entire spectrum of the MSM is based on the latter.

Every reader knows where we stand on any given issue, and our opinions -while they may be unpopular- are based on solid research and analytical insight into the subject matter at hand. This is why our predictive analysis is routinely more accurate than others.

Lastly, this Treehouse is a conversation. Just like sitting on a porch with friends.

Because the “conversation” is the ends and not the means, this approach inherently means YOU are the important part:

[Remember] …”However each of us got here, it’s probably a fact that we have the turmoil of those storms in common, perhaps some unease that we could share and always, we also find fresh ground to cover from day to day.

We’re developing valuable relationships as we trust one another in our community in the woods. The chatting in the branches encourages, strengthens and equips for some serious walking.

We think the Treehouse is a good armory for those who doing long distance walking for the sake of our nation. We hope you’ll think so, too. Find yourself a good branch….or just pull up a rock to the campfire”.

The smores can be enjoyed because our Wolverines faithfully patrol the perimeter.

And more often than not…

dog in tree

This entry was posted in Treehouse Tips, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to New Year Gentle Reminder

1. nyetneetot says:

Holy cow! Which rule(s) did I break this time?

• kinthenorthwest says:

Not nice NYE — you stole my question…Spelling/Typos seem to be my worse crime especially when I should just go to bed…LOL I guess I need to join you in the corner nye..

• Dixie Darling says:

Is there room in the corner for me?

• jello333 says:

We could always just blame it on the fact that English is one really goofy language…

• elvischupacabra says:

It was made that way to keep stupid people from learning English.

Wait… that didn’t come out right. Or did it? 😆

• sloth1963 says:

That’s cuz English doesn’t borrow words from other languages. English stalks them down dark alley ways and bops them on the head so English can claim the words are English and the other language can’t remember the encounter.

• sidneyaneres says:

oHHHH,, I soooo disagree, not so, its the most spoken language in the world, People around the world wish to learn and to speak english.

And some wish to destroy it also, yes, look at the abbreviations, texting, and more taking place, and no cursive.

Shakespeare, (well another subject) and his associates wrote an explosion of new words. and it continues. Pioneers as they crossed America found new things and words had to be crafted, English is crafted, and its yours, its not goofy, its getting that way, in my opinion, through an intentional de-evolution.

• jello333 says:

Everything you say is true, but you assume that I’m using “goofy” as an insult… not so! I have plenty of goofy (and “weird”) friends (some right here!). “Goofy” can be good! 😉

• moogey says:

My son came of age during the computer tech boom, and he railed against me when I rode him about his lack of ability to “write cursive”. He swore that he would not need it and I was off my rocker in believing that such an outdated method of communication was a requirement for the future. I however, was not convinced and practice was a tortuous event in our household. My son now has an 11 yr old, who hates to write & he has now provided his father with the argument of his generation. The pen was, is, and will continue to be much mightier than the sword but cursive may become the “code” in which future messages are sent.

• cali says:

It was a requirement in my country to speak another language next to my native language or preferably two by time of graduation.

• woohoowee says:

Another joins the corner, too. If I’d just stop talking to myself (right out here in front of the whole world!) and getting off topic…

Appreciate the reminder, Sundance 🙂

• czarowniczy says:

Spelling/typos aren’t a problem if you ‘Seek first to understand….’ This should be an open forum where Spanglish, Ebonics and Crackerish are all interchangeably uzed.

• moogey says:

Should be, but just last week Sharon was chastising the use of Ebonics in some of the posts. I’d be careful assuming that using it is acceptable in all areas of the forum.

• Josh says:

I thought the same thing. My goodness, we were gently reminded not too long ago. Sorry if it was me.

• Lou says:

Stella and Sharon spanked my behind a few times. I think I learned my lesson.

• lovemygirl says:

I always have to laugh because just after I post a bit of frustration with trolls, SD posts something like this that makes me feel like I’m sharing the dunce cap right with you.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

Here’s MY big dilemma:

I read the post, read the comments,and see something I want to question, or respond to. Sometimes in the middle of writing something, I say to myself: “Hey, you might just want to research that issue at site such-and-such before you click ‘Post Comment’ and make yourself looklike an even bigger idiot”. So I do, And then come back to amend my half-written reply, include a pic or a link, and then proudly launch my little gem into cyber-space.

Problem is, when the comment lands, half the time I see that 3 other people have already said something very similar (and usually smarter), or added a dynamic to the conversation that makes my comment entirely moot.

Maybe I can solve this problem in 2015 by learning how to type with more than 3 fingers?. Either that, or I can just post the wildest and most inane things that no one else would ever think of!

Yeah… I kinda like that last option. That way I can let my other 7 fingers continue to rest!.

• taqiyyologist says:

I am guilty. So much. It’s not even funny.

Three threads back, the “Race War” thread. I didn’t watch the video.

Then again, it might be because I wasn’t told “Here’s a Whittle/Klavan video!”

I woulda watched it. I prefer the content of threads in cases like this.

It took 52 comments or so for someone to mention Klavan and Whittle.

THEN I watched it.

Did I ever mention, in your august presence, my aversion to television?

Tell me at least SOMETHING about what I am about to watch, not just: WATCH THIS!

• elvischupacabra says:

I made this in shop class for the Mavens of Mayhem who run this place!

2. Col.(R) Ken says:

I’m guilty! I will try to improve my writing style.

3. Holly says:

“When writing ask yourself before you hit “send” does this add value?” Excellent.

4. waynestrick says:

If a troll happens to get impaled on a branch I inhabit, so be it. The barbs are sharp, but so are the Treepers.

• elvischupacabra says:

Trolls are both a sign that your blog is being seen and affecting those on the other side, as well as a pain in the butt.

Me? I troll Lefty sites all the time, using my trusty old proxy server application. However, over there, “trolling” is stating the truth and defending it. Seriously.

• elvischupacabra says:

Forgot the image…

• kinthenorthwest says:

elvis—if you have been on too many of the liberal sites,
        i bet you have realized that backed up facts really seem to confuse and anger them. When facts are presented it seems that they come out of the woodwork screaming either profanities at you, or the usual 3 excuses;
        1) You’re a racists 2)its GW’s fault 3)GW, or ??? president did it too so whats the big deal—-
        Oh I forgot that there is a 4th that seems to pop up even when the thread has nothing to do with war!! 4)GW killed our soldiers in his illegal war.

• czarowniczy says:

Yeah, and the pic of the troll included is a bit off-putting – you’d think that if he wanted to pick his nose in public he could do what everybody else does and wait until he gets into traffic.

5. WeeWeed says:

The vulgarity and personal attacks have been a tad frequent, probably because of the many new readers. These will cease. And I gently remind everybody – WP will sling any/everybody into spam or moderation for no discernible reason. ALL of us (I’ve even had to go fish myself out.) Be patient – we all check the spam and mod filters – no need to repeat whatever you said six times.

• nyetneetot says:

I just stuck my nose in one of the “serious” threads. Quite a handful of arrogant writers there.

• kinthenorthwest says:

It took me a while to learn, but I think I did. I do try and just ask if someone would dig in the spam and see if I just happened to have fallen in there..
      I am still learning a lot of stuff. (Lets see I’m a senior citizen and was born a blonde…Sometimes it takes me longer to learn LOL).
      I usually do try and find what is recent and where a post might belong when it is political. If I can’t I just find the Open Thread..If not political, and just whimsical I usually always head for the Open Thread…

• kinthenorthwest says:

By the way–on the sites that are not more conservative leaning and have no monitors per say, most of us Conservative posters actually consider it kind of a compliment to be called a name. Name calling usually means that the name caller has no decent rebuttal so resorts to name calling…
      However it is nice to see a place where there are decent monitors, whether it be Conservative or Liberal leaning forum!

• WeeWeed says:

I know – being attacked usually means one is over the target but we have readers of every age and civility is a must. Any opinion is fine if stated civilly, ya know?

• kinthenorthwest says:

I know and I truly try…My curse work used is “H3LL”, and if I am really upset I will ask reader to fill in the black, or purposefully use the symbols…
          There is no reason to use profanity, or name calling. Usually I will just walk away from the thread if it has gotten too out of control.

• jello333 says:

You guys get a lot of well-deserved praise for how hard you work to keep things running smoothly, how you manage to dig people out of Spam Jail, and all that. But what you don’t often get credit for is how well you balance things. I mean if all you did was deleted any and all “bad” comments, it wouldn’t be that hard. But you’re far more discerning than that — allowing in the occasional comment that might otherwise be zapped — if that comment helps further the conversation…. even if only allowing OTHER commenters to tear down that first comment bit by bit. 😉

Oh, and even though you do a great job of keeping the personal attacks to a minimum, you do it without resorting to what so many other sites do in that regard: They consider almost EVERYTHING a potential insult, and so use political correctness as a major moderation guideline. I am SO glad that’s not how things are handled here, and that political correctness usually is shown the respect it deserves (that would be… NONE).

And I gotta say that half the time I forget you guys even ARE mods, since you’re more than that. Your comments on whatever subject we might be discussing are just as, usually more, important and enlightening than anyone else’s here. I don’t think you get NEARLY enough credit for how much you contribute even when you DON’T have your mod hats on.

• taqiyyologist says:

The Dung Beetle was kinda classic.

I didn’t comment, because, well, you know. I probably woulda went overboard on ‘im.

• yankeeintx says:

That’s exactly why I kept my mouth shut. Plus it’s always fun to watch the admins step in with grace and dignity and totally decimate a troll.

• nyetneetot says:

I just read through what you guys are talking about. Looks like work keeps interfering with my entertainment. 😦

• cajunkelly says:

Yeah, the dung dude had me ready to put on my war paint. Lucky for him I couldn’t remember where I left it last, in my bedroom here, or out in the RV.
        Being old has its advantages for others it appears.

6. jello333 says:

I almost made a major gaffe here with like my 2nd or 3rd comment ever…. way back in late March/early April 2012. What started out as a 3 or 4 paragraph comment, gradually turned into 20 times that size (with pictures to boot). Even so, after I was done I almost posted it in whatever GZ thread happened to be up at the time. But then I thought, nah, I should ask about this first, so I emailed you and asked what I should do with it… split it up, try to edit it way down, or just trash the whole thing. In the end things got worked out fine, which is great since it would have been bad news had I got started out on the wrong foot here. 😉

7. jello333 says:

Hope you don’t mind me repeating this, since it’s sometimes easy to forget (since it often feels like just a cozy little conversation we’re having among ourselves here):

8. whodoneit says:

My goodness – this is becoming the “True Confessions” thread.

• cajunkelly says:

Yep, it is! My confession is: I am an extremely fast typist, been that way since highschool, so I get “wordie” with my posts.

But, in my defense, I do break it up in paragraphs. Plus, my mind wonders….no, seriously that’s not a typo, it wonders what the hell I’m trying to say! 😛

• czarowniczy says:

Whew, and here i thought they posted this for me.
        I break it up into paragraphs too – sometimes – it frequently comes out in free-flow, much like the broken handle on my WC. I’m told the comparisons don’t stop there either.

• elvischupacabra says:

WE sho’ does need a edit funct-shun on this here thang.

Hey girls. Can y’all git us one ‘a them edit buttons?

• czarowniczy says:

Seems your phrasin’s rite fine by me – perhaps instead of a button we could just get Velcro, much faster and makes a neat sound.

9. Dixie Darling says:

Now I’m suffering from CTH guilt! Dunno what I did but I apologize for whatever it was.

10. Spar Harmon says:

I have edited myself almost out of commenting, I notice.
    That is just from waiting ’till I think my bit will contribute.
    Something there is about hesitating and being lost…
    I read it all though — good about that part …
    I like it here (whowho whooo whooo)

• jello333 says:

“I have edited myself almost out of commenting…”

Nah, now don’t be doing that!

• pdxlady says:

I like it here too, Spar Harmon. It truly is The Last Refuge for us folks with a Conservative point of view.

I have been following along with all of the articles and comments for about a year or so, but it always seemed to be such a tight knit group of people that had known one another for years. Admiring the wealth of information and intelligence in conversation that is found here.

I’ve been a little nervous to jump in; however, I’m feeling more comfortable each day.

I found myself holding my breath though, through some of those tense comments in the past several days.

Thank you for allowing me to pull up a rock, warm myself by the campfire and enjoy a s’more with you all [I’d say y’all, but I’m a Northerner 😉 ].

• taqiyyologist says:

As I says. I come here for the poetry.

11. taqiyyologist says:

Been banned.

Oh, I been banned.

Oh how many times.

Oh, have I been banned?

(cue the blues)

12. gotaz says:

Thank you. As a “lurker” more often than not, sppreciatr seeing “rules”. Happy New Year All!

13. oldiadguy says:

I don’t comment as much as I would like as writing in the real world is hard for me. I’ve written thousands of reports, but they were a style specific to my old Department. I’m retraining myself to write normally, but by the time I put my thoughts into written form, another Treeper expressed them better than I could have. So I tend to “like” a lot. 😉

I spend so much time here that my DW jokes that I must have a mistress here or something. Don’t tell her, I do have a mistress here, her name is the Truth, and I try to spend as much time with her as I can.

Happy New Year to all and despite the interesting times in which we live, I hope each of you have a safe and prosperous year.

Take Care

14. jsjavascript says:

Tree Huggers the lot of you, in another time and place I think SD could have been a service Hippy type, Stella and Sharon too…

15. Mudbug says:

Sundance, I appreciate all you and the mods accomplish with this site. Having worked as admin and moderator on an array of MBs in the past, I truly know how tough the work is “behind the scenes”. This post illustrates excellent guidelines for all – truly fair and balanced (where HAVE I heard that before?). I thank y’all for allowing my scruffy arse to post here.

16. zephyrbreeze says:

The Rules seem to be just Common Sense and Good Manners.

Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use.
    Emily Post

17. May I respectfully request, SD, that you post this gentle reminder about every three months? Like others who have posted here tonight, I need the nudge.

18. texan59 says:

Sometimes you just have to come right out and tell a few folks that we know what they are. This is one of my tools. 😆

19. I’m new around here and I guess I have a propensity to get a lil off topic. I’ll do my best to mind my Ps and Qs. 🙂

20. AghastInFL says:

I will likely never get it right, but I will keep trying.

21. I think I can find several New Year’s resolutions in there!

22. CoffeeBreak says:

Thank you for the reminder.

I appreciate the behind the scenes work y’all do. Even on some really Trollee McTroll-a-Lot days here, I don’t feel like needing a shower after stepping into the comments section. I’ve never seen it scrape bottom here like some other sites. The place is always dusted, no carmel/chocolate fingerprints on the fridge, beers are cold, coffee is hot, no dried boogers/gum under the seats.

I have a question, though. When a comment is modified by a moderator, is the commenter notified via an auto-email from WP/CTH. Or, does the commenter only know if perusing back through the thread.

• Ad rem says:

When a comment is “modified” by a moderator, we leave an italicized notice at the bottom of the comment…. (Edited by Amin…)
      It’s up to the commenter to revisit his comment, as we simply do not have the time to email every person we’ve had to edit.

We frequently “edit” a comment to remove obscenities, personal information such at phone numbers or addresses, and photos of underage children.

• CoffeeBreak says:

Well, that’s really good information. I’m going to bookmark my comments just to quickly find them in the event that it’s been edited. I had wondered about it for awhile. If a moderator takes the time to edit a comment, it’s imperative the commenter know so the error isn’t repeated. I guess after about three days or so, the bookmark can be deleted. I don’t want to miss an important message. Thanks for your time. 😉

• Ad rem says:

Please don’t be overly concerned CoffeeBreak. 99% of the comments we deal with will never have to be edited or in any other way modified. If you leave a comment that does contain what I mentioned above, you can usually count on another Treeper correcting you in a follow-up comment…..in other words, you’ll know. 😉

23. Lulu says:

I have a feeling that not many are reading Sundance’s original post in full.

Sometimes I wish there was a thread where the chatters could go and socialize. It would make the other threads easier to navigate.

/s/ The New Years Grinch

• kinthenorthwest says:

You might be right Lulu, we do tend to be chatters around here
      –I am actually wondering if anyone got that dog out of his predicament yet LOL

24. I was drawn here by the JLC murder in MS and promise to try and behave. Signed, CTH Newbie 🙂