Sunday Open Thread – August 31st

tomb of the unknown - memorial dayOur Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy Name. Thy kingdom come. THY WILL BE DONE, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but DELIVER US FROM EVIL.

For Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory, forever and ever. Amen †

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

81 Responses to Sunday Open Thread – August 31st

1. Take a Sunday musical break…

2. hoosiergranny says:

Thought this would be appropriate for a Sunday morning. Very cute little 2 year old girl singing the Lord’s Prayer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AR4PQ30VkBk Hope you are having a restful Labor Day Weekend all.

3. papayasf says:

I’ve been reading a lot of the Ferguson forensics happening here, and kudos for all that. You’re scooping the entire mainstream media. But I’ve been wondering about one crucial question: how far away was Wilson from Brown, throughout this entire incident? We know where Brown’s body landed, but how much do we know about Wilson’s position? I keep hearing “30 feet” and “35 feet,” but is that the distance from the car to the body? Was Wilson next to the car when he shot Brown, or some distance away, because he had chased Brown? Had Brown turned and charged back? If so, how far back? Or did he merely turn around to face Wilson, and fell face-forward when he was shot?

4. sloth1963 says:

Apropos of nothing.

I turned on the television and caught an ad for Acura featuring Sid Vicious’ vocal styling on “My Way”. I thought a cruise line using Iggy’s (not Azalea) “Lust for Life” was offensive. I don’t watch all that much television. Is this a trend or is it just advertising as usual?

5. ZurichMike says:

873 days until Inauguration Day 2017.

Hurry, dear Lord, and deliver us from the evil afflicting and leading the nation.

6. ZurichMike says:

My musical break (competing with FDR)!

7. WeeWeed says:

Mornin’, kids!

photo coffeechallenge.jpg

8. texan59 says:

No Clarice this Sunday, but this might just make coffee come out your nose, whilst you are laughing. 😆

• elvischupacabra says:

My face hurts from this knee-slapper!!

Alex Wallace, senior vice president at NBC News, praised Clinton today and didn’t rule out working with her in the future. She told People: “Chelsea’s storytelling inspired people across the country and showcased the real power we have as individuals to make a difference in our communities. While she will be missed, we look forward to working with her in the future.”

Said with a straight face, no doubt. Sh!t, even the Gambino crime family would be too embarrassed to run a game like this!

Dealing with the Clintons is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. doodahdaze says:

Illegal Aliens Storm San Diego beach in amphibious assault. Looks like D-Day without a defense. http://cnsnews.com/mrctv-blog/craig-bannister/illegal-aliens-storm-beach-san-diego-second-attempt-thwarted

10. texan59 says:

By the time I finished this article I had steam coming out of my ears and I think the top of my skull popped off. But not because of the “death panels”. Enjoy the read.

• WeeWeed says:

👿 And how quickly does this morph into WE decide when the end of YOUR life will be….

• texan59 says:

Amen. What pizzed me off is that this should be a “covered expense”. This in NOT a medical procedure. I noticed the reference of the coziness of the AMA and CMS. WE will all be paying for this through our weekly Medicare taxes. Doctors aren’t gonna do it if they don’t get paid. If you wanna get paid, put it up on your signboard and charge the patient for it just like I have to when I want bacon or cheese on my burger. I don’t want to pay for your cheese however. I also question how well versed a doc is in talking about “end-of-life” issues. I’ll take my chances with a crazy preacher on that one. I understand that the doc can talk about the mechanics of this, but for most of us, it’s as much a moral decision as a mechanical one, if not more-so. Advance directives are done all the time outside the confines of the doc’s office and should be a conversation you have with your spouse or family. He!!, I’d rather have this discussion with a shyster lawyer rather than someone who has a financial stake in the decision (sorry, ZMike).

• hoosiergranny says:

Most competent family physicians have some type of conversation with their elderly patients and their family already without having to charge them for it. They generally tell them the types of decisions that need to be made and provide some type of brochure about health care power of attorney and options. I’ve been present in these beginning discussions with both of my parents.

11. texan59 says:

Another reason that children should not inherit their parent’s seat in Congress. Fewer and fewer branches on each tree. 👿

• Col(R) Ken says:

Here in W.PA we have little Bill “Highway” Shuuusteer. His Dad was “Mr. Highway” for over 30 years in Congress. Little Highway is not a conservative, he poses as one, he is a DC insider.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

FTA:

““a bunch of guys wearing pajamas” “not an existential threat to U.S.”

I seem to remember people saying that very same thing, back in the 60s

12. texan59 says:

A side note to all that is going on elsewhere at the Treehouse. 57.

13. Col(R) Ken says:

There should alway be 2 police officers in a car. And I don’t want to hear the excuses, manpower, large patrol area, our response time is 2 minutes, ect.,ect.,

14. texan59 says:

Celebratin’ 54 years of wedded bliss today with Mrs. T’s parents. 😀

15. Moishe Pipik says:

NY TImes has an article today that describes how the Democrats are using the “stories” about Trayvon Martin and Mike Brown to try to woo black voters this December:

16. nyetneetot says:

‘The Dawn of Libya’ Islamist militia storms US embassy compound in Tripoli

Footage reportedly taken inside the compound shows men gathered around the embassy swimming pool, with some even jumping in

An official claims the compound is being ‘safeguarded’ and was not ‘ransacked’

The compound has been unoccupied since July 26 when U.S. diplomats evacuated to neighboring Tunisia under a U.S. military escort

17. rashomon says:

The speeches at the Americans for Prosperity convention in Dallas yesterday were inspiring given our world is going to heck in a hand basket.

18. ZurichMike says:

Where’s Crump when you need him?

19. John Galt says:

So how is Cameron’s civilizing Islam program going? All those gentle, peaceful pious British Muslim clerics on board?

20. I think there was a story from TCH that the thugs in Ferguson were threatening to loot some more if the owners didn’t come back and rebuild the businesses that were destroyed when they were busy robbing and looting. The QuikTrip where Michael Brown did some thieving has no plans to rebuild.

(Sorry if there was something about this already.)

• John Galt says:

They’re holding themselves hostage. LOL might work

• nameofthepen says:

Rhea, I found the video embedded in the article you posted was interesting. To me, it is reminiscent of the era following the Rodney King rioting.

The destruction was vast. And, about 6-8 months later, mounting shock, confusion and anger appeared, as it dawned on people that the big supermarkets, many gas stations and liquor stores, and hundreds of random small businesses had no intention of rebuilding there.

The population had realized that from now on, if they wanted to go to the supermarket for the weekly shopping, it was going to have to be either a long drive, or an even longer bus trip.

While I do admire the older gentleman who is trying to do something constructive to get some of the young men employed (he said they could mow lawns, and paint, etc.), I do find it ironic that I didn’t hear of any lawnmowers or paint brushes stolen during the looting.

I also have to wonder why the BPP wasn’t there, standing vigil, and preventing the crazed mob from destroying their own neighborhoods in their orgiastic frenzy, and even possibly provoking another Kent-state type incident upon themselves.

• LetJusticePrevail" says:

I would imagine that shrinkage has always been a problem for that location, and this event just made it easier for them to do something they have wanted to do for years. I saw a similar occurrence for a WalMart, but they didn’t wait for the store to be burned down before they shuttered it.

21. ZurichMike says: