Once upon a troll …..

Concern Troll … the scourge of every blogger who has a comments section.

What is “trolling” ?

informal

submit a deliberately provocative posting to an online message board with the aim of inciting an angry response.

“if people are obviously trolling then I’ll delete your posts and do my best to ban you”

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

We have found that it is impossible to rehabilitate trolls.  They will often write nasty e-mails, demanding to have their commenting privileges returned; try posting again under different ip addresses, e-mail accounts or nicknames and several other methods of attempting to work around the ban.

One thing is certain, though – they can’t help themselves and soon enough, if allowed to return, revert to type.  They enjoy causing discord, they get a rush from “getting a rise” out of either another specific commenter or the Admins, and they enjoy trying to control the commentary and deciding what is “acceptable” discourse.  It is a childish game of control and manipulation.

Trolling also tends to lead to threadjacking – getting a serious discussion deliberately off-track and away from any meaningful debate.  Trolling and threadjacking are some of the online tools used by OFA paid operatives to disrupt productive discussions on Tea Party and Conservative sites that talk about how to organize existing members and reach out to other like-minded people.

About YTZ4mee

Libertarian, Freedom Fighter, Erstwhile Pilot, Polyglot, Multinational Rabble Rouser, Contrarian "Just Because", Hew to the philosophy of "Drink the Good Wine First".
This entry was posted in Education, Fabian Socialists - Modern Progressives, propaganda, Tea Party, Treehouse Campfire, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Once upon a troll …..

1. texan59 says:

Feel free to use this as a warning shot if you’d like. 🙂

photo banned1-smiley.gif

Or this. 😉

2. auscitizenmom says:

You guys are so much better at spotting the trolls than I am. But, I eventually catch on.

3. Mike says:

I have a great cupcake recipe. (Is that close? I’m not very good at this kind of thing.)

4. Josh says:

When we were younger, much younger, my sister played with dolls while I played with trolls or stuffed animals. I know this adds nothing to the actual conversation 🙂

5. doodahdaze says:

It is like the radar detectors. Or the anti-missile-missile-missile systems.

6. d'hack says:

I must say, I have witnessed the outing of trolls on this site and actually enjoyed the process. You guys in the Admin office are pretty sharp! Thanks for keeping this a place where thoughtful conversation rules the day. All it takes is a trip down the comments section at say, Breitbart or The Daily Caller, for example, to really appreciate this refuge!!
    ‘hack

7. Sha says:

O.K. What did I miss ? 😀

• justfactsplz says:

Another recent troll who did not belong in a decent debate or conversation. Another one bites the dust. Ytz4mee is superb at spotting them and bringing their nonsense to a screeching halt keeping this site the way it is intended to be. I usually spot them but ignore them as long as I can but sometimes I lose it a little with them. Merry Christmas Sha.

• justfactsplz says:

Wanted to add Sha that this one attacked our christian beliefs saying we were not behaving like true christians. Stella hit them with scripture and that kind of settled it for sure. 🙂

8. Spar Harmon says:

…and here I thought it was a method of fishing where you play out a line with a spinner lure and putt-putt along mit chur boat to excite bass an sech…

9. teajr says:

Reblogged this on Conservative Free Thinkers and commented:
    What’s acceptable is a fine line that I try to tow, without compromising the facts of a convo. Ultimately it’s the owner/operator’s right to choose and that is very much respected by me. I’ve had more than a few posts that I thought were safely within bounds and relevant to the conversation, not show up. I respectfully emailed the staff alerting them to a possible glitch but what I was told was that I was inadvertently flagged and that it would take time to undo. This was b/ft the Zimmerman verdict. I’m a huge believer in property rights and honesty so either way I will respect any decision that is made regarding another’s site. I had one post show and one that did not – on the “pajama weirdo boy” post.

10. rumpole2 says:

I notice you do let the trolls run with it for a while… that can be entertaining, but its also a relief when you finally swat the gnat. A troll post can be a good launching pad for someone to layout and clarify thing in response to the nonsense. Chip Bennet is a “Jedi Master” when it comes to that. 😀
    Most trolls “do it on purpose” They have an agenda… but also there are people around who are just plain disagreeable… they can not tell the difference between discussion and argument just for the sake of arguing. It seem their only style of post is to disagree with what others have said.

I met a few trolls on my recent vacation in Norway….

11. Pingback: Oh Good: An Extra Day to Get Your ObamaCare | Regular Right Guy

12. IFoundMyVoice says:

When I was new to the net—about 15 years ago — the first site I joined was a cross stitching one. Members posted pictures of their projects and offered patterns for free on the message board. I loved doing cross stitch Christmas ornaments for gifts so I was delighted.

Then I found out what trolls were. A couple of dodo birds registering just to curse and mock the members and to sneer “get a life!”

Yes, yes. I will put away my aida cloth and thread and “get a life” by sitting in front of my computer seeking out the millions of website that hold no interest for me and mock the members. Regular Hemingway novel of a life, that.

13. doodahdaze says:

Pshycho Trolls mind lash with their mind lashes. Whap’ Bam’ Zap’ That is what must happen in the cyberspace. Trying to appease and at the same time inject little silly, sneaky, thought trains to further their point. I remember when it all started with Prodigy.

14. ctdar says:

A thread always good to review, thanks Ytz.