TSA Stops Crafty 84 yr. Old Granny In Her Tracks…Borders Remain Wide Open

Lenore Zimmerman, 84, shows injury she says came during strip search by security at JFK Airport.

Our TSA….saving us from wheelchair grannies and their evil defibrillators.  No wonder American Airlines went bankrupt earlier this week.

(msnbc.com)…An 84-year-old New York grandmother said Saturday she was injured and humiliated when she was strip searched at an airport after she asked to be patted down instead of going through a body scanner.  Lenore Zimmerman said she was whisked away to a private room and made to take off her pants and other clothes after she asked to forgo the screening because she worried it would interfere with her defibrillator. She missed her flight and had to take one two-and-a-half hours later, she said.

“I walk with a walker — I really look like a terrorist,” she told The New York Daily News. “I’m tiny. I weigh 110 pounds, 107 without clothes, and I was strip-searched.  I was outraged,” said Zimmerman, a retired receptionist.

As she tried to lift a lightweight walker off her lap, she said the metal bars hit her leg, causing blood to flow from her a gash, the newspaper reported.  “My sock was soaked with blood,” she said. “I was bleeding like a pig.”  But the Transportation Security Administration said in a statement Saturday no strip search was conducted.  “While we regret that the passenger feels she had an unpleasant screening experience, TSA does not include strip searches as part of our security protocols and one was not conducted in this case,” the statement read.

Zimmerman was dropped off by her son at Kennedy Airport for a 1 p.m. flight Tuesday to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., on JetBlue, she said. She arrived to the ticket counter around 12:20 p.m. and headed for security in a wheelchair, her small, metal walker in her lap.  She’s been traveling to Florida for at least a decade and has never had a problem being patted down until now, she said. “I worry about my heart, so I don’t want to go through those things,” she said referring to the advanced image technology screening machines now in place at the airport.

Private screening
As a result, she said she was taken into the private screening room by one agent and made to strip.  A review of closed-circuit television at the airport showed proper procedures were followed, Jonathan Allen, a TSA spokesman, said in a statement.

“Private Tours was requested by the passenger, it was granted and lasted approximately 11 minutes,” the statement read. “TSA screening procedures are conducted in a manner designed to treat all passengers with dignity, respect and courtesy and that occurred in this instance.”  The private screening was not recorded.

Zimmerman, who spends half the year in Long Beach, N.Y., said she banged her shin during the process and it bled “like a pig,” partly because she is on blood-thinning medication. She said an emergency medical technician patched her up, but she was told to see a doctor when she arrived in Florida to make sure the wound didn’t get infected. There are no records indicating medical attention was called on her behalf.  “I don’t know what triggered this. I don’t know why they singled me out,” she said.

Her son Bruce Zimmerman said he’d like to see someone fired, and screeners re-trained after his mother’s ordeal.  “My mother is a little old woman. She’s not disruptive or uncooperative,” he said Saturday. “I don’t understand how this happened.”  He said she’s had an increasingly difficult time traveling, especially since her husband died a few years ago. She has two grandchildren, and her older son, a doctor, died in 2007.

Meanwhile, Lenore Zimmerman said she was healing, planned to go to the grocery store on Saturday and take it easy. Weather was about 76 and sunny, and she’s not headed back to an airport until April when she returns to New York.  “Thank goodness,” she said. “It will give me some time to brace myself for the return flight.”ht

About Ad rem

Millions of little gray cells wrapped in fur.
This entry was posted in Air Travel, Big Stupid Government, These United States, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to TSA Stops Crafty 84 yr. Old Granny In Her Tracks…Borders Remain Wide Open

1. WeeWeed says:

Every time I fly, without exception, they pick out us granny-types. EVERY TIME. The guy behind me with a towel on his head, and crap strapped to his midsection? Never see it. Never.

2. stellap says:

I refuse to fly as long as this crap is going on.

• Sharon says:

Me either. haven’t been on a plane for a long, long time.

• Add me to this list. 😦 No-way I’m dealing with that crap…. Even if I have to spend an extra 2 or 3 days driving or on auto train. Screw the TSA

• Well, I have to fly. Ain’t no way around it. If I don’t fly, I don’t eat.

The secret is to wear the right things and be able to get “TSA compliant”. I have a laptop bag that will pass through the x-ray, although I have to point out the “TSA approved” logo to these rocket scientists in-waiting almost every time. Ditto my belt. However, that said, my 90-year old aunt, who wears a back brace gets the “Granny Tango Treatment” every time, but her old-school attitude is, “We’ll if it helps keep us safe…”. Because she still loves to fly, I don’t shatter her illusions.

What amazes me is the sh!t they talk about in front of the public, with whose safety they are always ready to tell they are charged. I asked one, “So, talking about rims and line-dancing and stuff, y’all are trying to lull the bad guys into a false sense of security, huh?” Their ‘Supervisor’ took me to one side and said that I need to change my attitude. I responded that I didn’t feel very safe, because it’s a known fact that distractions in the midst of repetitive operations are the main cause of mistakes. He gave me a wan smile, led me away from the lines and said sotto voce, “I hear you. But we can’t fire ’em. All I can do is talk to them, document it once in a while, and they know it”

I genuinely felt sorry for the guy.

3. barnslayer says:

These TSA bastards need to die. Sorry but it needs to be said. I hope each and every one of them gets cancer from their body scanners.

• WeeWeed says:

One of them will from the aluminium cane I place squarely in their southernmost orifice, one day. Bound to be bad germs on that bugger.

• Solaratov says:

Do you think TSA tells the mooks doing the screening that they are being over-exposed to radiation on a daily basis? Of course not! TSA ain’t so dumb. If the mooks get cancer and die – obamacare takes care of them while they’re sick — and they don’t have to pay a pension to a dead guy. Money-saver all around!! Ka-ching!! 😉

• texan59 says:

Listen to this and then you can likely answer your own question. This was a caller to a radio show that comes out of Houston. The guy said he was a TSA agent.

• I heard this LIVE the other day and was freaking astounded. It almost reminded me of an old Phil Hendry parody, except Berry doesn’t do that stuff. You Treepers need to catch Michael Berry in the afternoons. If I’m in H-town I catch him on the radio, but when I’m away, I got to my Internetz. He sees ALL the 900-pound gorillas in the room and tweaks the nose of every one of ’em!

4. Sharon says:

Well, I guess they showed her a thing or two. Serves her right.

sarc/????

No. FURY.

When she goes to leave in April, she needs to buy a burka, cover her head and not bathe for 8 days.

5. texan59 says:

When I get strip searched by one of these toads I am going to share with them my bladder control issue all over their pretty blue pants and shiny shoes. It always happens when I go to an airport. After I eat a pot of beans. 🙂

6. tnwahm says:

One of my worries when we flew to Orlando for my dd’s Make a Wish Trip. I teased my volunteer about if they had a lawyer just in case a TSA agent went after one of my dds.

7. This is just beyond UNBELIEVABLE. What a friggin ridiculous fiasco to put that poor woman through. REally, this is just beyond ridiculous…… 😦 Articles like this make my blood boil.

8. GracieD says:

This is exactly why DH and I no longer fly.

9. Pingback: Sunday Morning News, my pick from thr Grumpy Daily | Grumpy Opinions

10. Mark says:

Americans should not put up with this TSA garbage! Aside from being totally un-Constitutional, it’s also totally unnecessary and totally worthless! This security theater does absolutely nothing to keep you safe and is only meant to condition you to obey ANY asinine orders from so-called “authority” figures. Stop letting yourselves be treated like criminals/”terrorists”/children/slaves! Join us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Boycott-Flying/126801010710392