Let’s talk about what’s really going on behind this politically driven move by Eric Holder.

Hip Hop Mogul Russell Simmons was in a recent spat with CNN’s Don Lemon where Simmons said:

He is not saying that drugs are toxic to the fabric of the black community. He is not saying that a culture built around a drug lifestyle is damaging to the black community. No, he is saying the #1 problem for blacks in America is drug use being unlawful, and by consequence the criminal arrest for such use is the “enemy of blacks”. The enemy of blacks is the application of law.

Just let that settle in for a moment.

The #1 enemy of blacks in America is the enforcement of law.

So the future of/for blacks, as advocated by blacks, advances the proposition that such a future can or will improve, only if the enforcement of law is removed.

"Scheme Team" (Left to Right) Benjamin Crump, Jahvaris Funton-Martin, Russell Simmons, Sybrina Fulton, Tracy Martin, Daryl Parks

(Left to Right) Benjamin Crump, Jahvaris Fulton, Russell Simmons, Sybrina Fulton, Tracy Martin, Daryl Parks

In his own essential words. The black community will be without enemy if,…..  the black culture will succeed if,……  and the black community will advance if,….. they are allowed to use drugs without lawful consequence.

philly-flash-mob_large_blogPhiladelphia Cops - flash mob

So the future of a black generation is essentially dispatched to being a bunch of drugged out, hopeless, gang bang wannabe’s – strung out while searching for their next high.

Really?  Just like Trayvon’s friend Rachel Jeantel, who at 20 years old smokes marijuana and is still in High School.      The goal here is to make such ridiculous incapacities of self sufficiency, well, just… ok.

It really sounds ridiculous until you comprehend the severity of it all.

Today, what do you think is really behind the pronouncement by Eric Holder?

“Certain low-level, nonviolent drug offenders who have no ties to large-scale organizations, gangs, or cartels will no longer be charged with offenses that impose draconian mandatory minimum sentences”. “They now will be charged with offenses for which the accompanying sentences are better suited to their individual conduct, rather than excessive prison terms more appropriate for violent criminals or drug kingpins.”

This falls on the heels of President Obama proclaiming schools, through an executive order, must stop disciplining black students. Schools must apply racial quotas to school discipline because blacks are incapable of controlling their behavior – and disproportionately impacted by the enforcement of rules.

[*note – it was this mindset that diverted Trayvon Martin away from a criminal justice and ultimately into a position the school was incapable of controlling]

Sound ridiculous? Perhaps to you or I, but that’s not stopping the process of implementation of these guidelines.

This also coincides with the EEO and Labor Dept saying it’s no longer permissible (lawful) for companies to use criminal arrest records during the hiring decision. Why? Because, once again the Arrest/Criminal Record filter, as a hiring decision, disproportionately screens blacks as ineligible.

The White House, the Administration, the President’s Cabinet members, and all attached to the Executive Branch are not hiding this. They are openly advocating this approach.

Flash Mob Participant

About these ads
This entry was posted in A New America, BGI - Black Grievance Industry, Cultural Marxism, Death Threats, Dem Hypocrisy, Dept Of Justice, media bias, Police action, Political correctness/cultural marxism, Racism, Trayvon Martin, Typical Prog Behavior, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

137 Responses to Removing Impediments – Eric Holder Doing Away With Federal Minimum Sentences For Drug Crimes….

1. auscitizenmom says:

Good Grief!

2. sangell says:

The good news is that Holder is bureaucratically incompetent and lazy to boot. The feds don’t do many ‘retail’ drug busts anyway so this will have little effect except , perhaps to let more illegal immigrants caught smuggling drugs into the US to not be charged with a deportable offense.

• What we are seeing is the Obama doctrine of Criminal Affirmative Action. Lessor crimes will not be prosecuted therefore, “street justice” will be allowed to prevail because this is all the black community knows. After all, Holder believes that there is 250 years of owe back for the disadvantages the blacks have had in being arrested for crimes committed which should not have been adjudicated. Such reasoning blows the mind but, can be rationalized since our introduction to the Obama mind and Holder ignorance.

3. sangell says:

BTW Eric, since you don’t prosecute anyone anyway maybe Congress should defund your operation.

4. d'hack says:

You know, I’ve got to hand it to you, Sundance…you are much better at connecting the dots than I am. I felt weird today, agreeing with something that Eric Holder proposed. I realize that he is all about his people and such. I guess we’ll have to wait and see if this is rolled out only for his peeps or if it will apply to everyone.

For the record, I think that the WOD has been more of a negative for our society than a positive and should be modified or removed. I am curious to see how our society would be different if the criminal element was removed from the distribution channels.

Thanks for challenging my thought processes!!

5. diwataman says:

This part sound familiar, lol:

“Holder said the Justice Department would direct federal prosecutors to charge defendants in certain low-level drug cases in such a way that they would not be eligible for mandatory sentences now on the books.

Prosecutors would do this by omitting from official charging documents the amount of drugs involved in a case…”

I suppose that will only apply to black people.

• sirwin says:

What happened to “The Truth, the whole Truth, and nothing but the Truth”?

• diwataman says:

What about stuff like this?

18 USC § 1519 – Destruction, alteration, or falsification of records in Federal investigations and bankruptcy

“Whoever knowingly alters, destroys, mutilates, conceals, covers up, falsifies, or makes a false entry in any record, document, or tangible object with the intent to impede, obstruct, or influence the investigation or proper administration of any matter within the jurisdiction of any department or agency of the United States or any case filed under title 11, or in relation to or contemplation of any such matter or case, shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both.

• sundance says:

It’s the federalization of the M-DSPD programs :(

• diwataman says:

I’m sure there will be a white organization who will be looking to assure these practices are being applied to whites proportionately…blach…who am I kidding…whites will say nothing as usual, they don’t want to look racist by having interest in what happens with white people..

• maryfrommarin says:

Yes, an attempt at the federal level to “even out” the racial percentages in prison.

Do you suppose it will move even further up the ladder–i.e., at the U.N. level? Giving preferential treatment to certain worldwide populations?

6. Perhaps we should also consider making flash-robberies legal.

I mean, these twenty-something “youth” and “kids” who gather with 50 or so of their friends and ransack a Walgreens, overturning displays, stealing, and punching people in the face are just being kids, right? They’re just “playing” a “game”.

Same with 20-on-one flash-beatings. Hey, it’s a GAME. How could we prosecute people for playing a game? I mean, so what if people are put in the I.C.U. or murdered? They’re just PLAYING AROUND!

If we can’t even play a GAME in this country, then we are no longer free, right?

• taqiyyologist says:

Pursuit of Happiness, right? If punching people because they are not your skin color makes you happy, then we really ought to rethink the illegality of such actions. It’s fun, and happy-making to kick someone to death, right? (It is in this barbaric culture.) Even more fun to put it on video and upload it to World Star Hip-Hop so everyone else can join in the fun.

“Look how I told my seven-year-old daughter to go on and get a few kicks in on that cracka and join in the happy-making fun.”

7. This is a different version of the Miami schools (and others) diversionary practices to skew the numbers of black offenders. It will leave a large number of them on the street to be arrested for worse crimes such as robberies (to buy the drugs) and murders (to keep the robbery victims from identifying the perpetrator.) Good move, Mr. Holder – keep more of the feral thugs on the streets to pillage and plunder and murder. Big Brother taking care of the proletariat.

• sundance says:

It is exactly that.

• keriheat says:

txconservativemomof2, exactly what I was thinking before I read your post. How many dead Trayvons will this create. And unarmed George’s

“I don’t think I should be responsible for my actions, If some one gets hurt…hey, collateral damage” – All of this just doesn’t add up for me.

In all the discussion yesterday about Libertarianism vs. Anarchy and such… How did we get to this point where the Libs and Progs, who want more government… also want fewer laws. This is some kind of twisted logic at least. My head just exploded trying to reason it.

Do these people; Holder and the likes, even understand the logic and or reality of Law and Government? Or do they just decide today…I think this would be a good law.

No wonder we all have this rumblings going on in our belly over the last 6, 8, 10 years, ’cause what these clowns in D.C. want to do just doesn’t make sense. In fact, I think it’s insane.

I truly wish there was away to rid are selves of the current 545.

• I do, too. I wish I knew the answer. Other than being active at the community level and raising awareness then helping get the right voters to the polls. The problem is, I don’t think it’s going to be any better after the mid-terms and we’re in for another 8 years of Hillary after Obama. Then who knows….

• keriheat says:

One of the problems with Mid-terms is, they are worrying about Hillary and 2016 instead of investing that worrisome energy into 2014 and the Mid-terms.

And don’t think I haven’t thought about all this hoopla around Hillary, isn’t part of the leftist plan to make the conservatives take their eye off the ball… the 2014 ‘ball’.

• A Citizen says:

If the dead victim can’t ID the perp, how is the perp getting arrested? Murders between strangers often go unsolved.

• Right – which is why the criminals know it’s better to kill the robbery victim, car-jacking victim, etc. than to leave a witness alive. We had an event here where 2 illegals killed a 12 year old girl after robbing her of the $5.00 she had. I don’t know how they caught them, but they did. They were both illegal and one had been deported twice before. The perps were in their early 20s, by the way. These “petty” criminals that deal and use drugs are just “hardened” criminals in the making. This new policy is going to be very good for society, no doubt. But, hey, we’ve got to cook the numbers. It’s unfair to have such a large percentage of blacks in prison. Never mind that they’re in prison for a reason. So, we take away the “reason” and, viola! Problem solved. Except it really isn’t solved – it just lets loose on society predators that will commit much worse crimes. Believe me – they won’t take it as a “break” and see the error of their ways and become contributing members of society. That’s not going to be the result.

8. I am so disgusted by this. A bigger picture is the reduction of reported black crime, and black criminals in prison as a statistic. A statistic that in their shallow minds will feed the agenda of black crime reduction, I am sure the latinos will not be awarded the same leniency. The problem is, not stopping small drug crime will lead to much more heavy and violent crime which cannot be covered up long term.

• maryfrommarin says:

JR–what I’m worried about is the attempt TO cover up heavy and violent crime. That would seem to be next on the agenda.

• janc1955 says:

Yes, it would seem to be. Perhaps next Holder and friends will remove impediments to robbing people who make over a certain annual income, or who live in neighborhoods with homes in a certain price range. Or business owners with yearly sales over a certain amount.

9. cryodiem says:

“It really sounds ridiculous until you comprehend the severity of it all.”
    Perhaps by increasing tolerance we can increase virtuosity, reverence, and votes. I don’t pretend to know but just thinkin’…

10. HughStone says:

I don’t think mandatory minimums are good thing for any crime.

11. I Am Trademark says:

So now, if you have a VW Bus loaded to the gills with weed, you’ll get a ticket for possession of a joint…

…if you’re black, of course.

• sundance says:

Unintended (?) or Intended consequence – depending on how you look at it. Employment as drug mules amid black males may increase as their non-arrest/criminality based on their skin color provides them better cover if caught.

Just like the Cartels hiring 16 and 17-year-olds as hit men because they can adjudicate as minors if caught, so to can the same processes be applied to race based drug transactions.

• dws says:

exactly. maybe this is Obama’s employment plan!

• partyzant says:

SD, This effort if carried through creates what is approaching a 98% loyal (based upon voting patterns), hyper violent militia. The multitudes of programs provides funds for the foot soldiers, unprosecutable drug issues provides huge flows of tax free incomes. This is outrageous, but it is planned. Per the Dead Fish, “Never let a crisis go to waste”. Think of the uptick in crises that will come from this.

• Spar Harmon says:

The whole ‘Drug War’ was ill-conceived from the beginning. Prohibition should have taught us better. In the 60’s, there was widespread hysteria in government at all levels about controlling people’s behavior. For instance, suppose the law was to control the use of alcohol by arresting and jailing anyone caught possessing it rather than by arresting those who misused it? Most fine residents of this tree would be in jail.
      The abusers of drugs, like alcoholics, are sick and need treatment but are a small percentage (a consistently suppressed statistic) of those who use them. I keep referring to alcohol because I am an alcoholic. I work with alcoholics and other survivors of addiction, by sharing my path of recovery. There is no coercive path of recovery. There is also NO DEMOGRAPHIC UNITY to those who occupy the rooms of recovery.
      However, having as a society made this colossal mistake, the last 40 years has seen the creation of a society-wide drug culture. And as the celebration of it in media as normal behavior filters down into the street world it gets uglier and uglier. Trayvon was just getting started; TracyM is a veteran and not likely to be arrested for drug crime. We helped create both of them…as a society, I mean. When I sit in a room full of addicts seeking or demonstrating recovery I see hoodies, I see gang tattoos, I see priest collars, I see lawyers, I see construction workers, I see housewives, I see prostitutes, I see scruffy college professors, I see me and blacks and Hispanics and Asians…but I don’t see anyone who is not me: our problem unifies us and we are uniquely qualified to help one another.
      Holder’s fundamental error is this The Law cannot fix our problems, and as Sundance points out, slapping an ill-considered policy across the ‘pipeline to prison’ will fail to stem the flow, and in fact will exacerbate it. Someone in this Tree has said, more than once , that they felt that if someone ran for public office they by doing so disqualify themselves— who will not be corrupted by gaining public office? Who has not experienced corruption by becoming a police officer? A lawyer, prosecutor, judge, jailer????
      Are our checks and balances working? Are they uncompromised?
      Give me liberty or give me death. Lord of my soul, guide me, free me, teach me true liberty.

• Sharon says:

There is no coercive path of recovery.

That…..is a true thing, Spar Harmon. That whole pesky issue of a person’s will…..not much use in today’s construct of supposed victimization problems and foolish un-solutions….but it just will not go away, will it?

Good points.

• Spar Harmon says:

Right use of will— sometimes paralyzing; especially after having been skewered a few times in a row by un-intended consequences…the path to hell being paved with…
          For me, the problem of evil in myself and in the world is quite adequately explained by the free will with which we are endowed being expressed as self will run riot…my will colliding with your will; my hell with your hell; And by Law of consequences Hell on earth manifests and we are the Devil….
          If I stop there, there is no hope. But when I experience the miracle of me, since I began to cleave to the Light, when I see those same miracles manifesting in others on that same basis, I realize that all who can open their will as an open channel for the Father to Sing to His Creation through us….then there Is Hope.

• Spar Harmon says:

unitron lives—– see below

• cryodiem says:

God, give me grace to accept with serenity
        the things that cannot be changed,
        Courage to change the things
        which should be changed,
        and the Wisdom to distinguish
        the one from the other.
        Living one day at a time,
        Enjoying one moment at a time,
        Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
        Taking, as Jesus did,
        This sinful world as it is,
        Not as I would have it,
        Trusting that You will make all things right,
        If I surrender to Your will,
        So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
        And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
        Amen

• partyzant says:

SH, you bring up a good point about criminalizing a substance and the war on drugs (WOD). Perhaps it is the underlying criminality, not the thing per se. I do not see where Amsterdam has anywhere NEAR the issues we see here. Never been there, but I do not see it in the news. Can anyone help out on this with 1st hand observation there? There is wisdom in punishing the sin but not the sinner. However, the incentives for poor behaviour are baked into the cake, as it were.
        A solid question indeed is, if the war on drugs (or anything else, really) has been a success, why does America have the greatest per capita prison population? Why are we, as a nation, perhaps some of the most addicted extant? There is something ugly beneath the surface, like a spoiled burrito causing the well-known “bubble guts”, coils of pain roiling the surface and you know it is going to end badly.

• JAS says:

Excellent!

• JAS says:

That said, we are all, to some extent, victims of our culture. Victims because our culture has been peddled on us by a few but powerful miscreant, self serving entities that feed this seemingly innocuous “pop culture”. It is only the ones that can resist the lure of this peddling who find true ownership of their souls. Most don’t stand a chance, especially the young, the unguided and the uneducated.

I fear there is now way out of this. The infiltration of the peddlers of this our culture is just too pervasive

12. I Am Trademark says:

Same logic applies to their views of SYG and self defense laws.
    Those laws allow the people that they believe SHOULD just be willing victims to actually fight back, and THAT is obvioulsy a threat to many blacks as well…

13. ctdar says:

Anarchy is at our doorstop.

14. harrydweeks says:

So let me get this straight….. Too many blacks in jail for breaking the law, so lets change the law or not enforce our existing laws in order to reduce the number of blacks in jail? What the hell are they going to do with these thugs ? I guess let them out and everyone load up on ammo and continue to support, stand your ground laws. Back to the wild west … Great plan …. only someone like Holder could dream this up. What about unintended consequences, you stupid ASSHOLE.

• sundance says:

Hence you understand the reason for trying to get rid of Stand Your Ground laws.

The two pronged approach. Eliminate the enforcement of the unlawful behavior by the police…… And if they can remove self defense, and outlaw gun ownership, then another risk to black male youth will have been removed.

The elimination of law enforcement, and the simultaneous elimination of your legal self-defense are both connected.

• sangell says:

register them to vote is the main idea. With 1/3 of black men going to prison at some point in their lives that’s a lot of ex-cons ineligible to vote in a lot of states. In fact, that is where the big numbers in voter fraud are found. Not illegal aliens. Local county registrar of voters can check their state records for felons or parolees registered to vote ( and in Virginia, Florida and some other states they do) and have found thousands when they looked but without access to NCIS data bases how can they tell if someone was a criminal in another state?

• Any radical black surprises we should be watching for posturing from as the next elections get closer? Given the obvious racial division push, a rich white woman doesn’t exactly fit in the picture forming.

15. unitron says:

The best way to allow people “to use drugs without lawful consequence” is to make them legal.

I’m not saying drugs are wonderful and everybody should go shoot up, but evidence from the days of the 18th Amendment and the Volstead Act right down to today shows that prohibition does not work (unless your goal is really to strengthen organized crime).

Trying to make drug users “suffer the consequences of their actions” creates lots of “side-effect” suffering for the rest of us, and I don’t think that’s fixable.

Making them legal, regulated, and taxed could probably save a lot of money even if most of the taxes were used for treatment programs for those who go beyond use to abuse.

• cryodiem says:

Legalization would reduce collateral damage. “Use to abuse” is the conundrum.

• Spar Harmon says:

Hasn’t our experience, cryodiem, use to abuse was and is a personal problem?

• cryodiem says:

Alcohol was in my genes before I chose to put it in my belly. I used and abused. The dubious suggestion for a solution to the problem was inspired by your reference to friar William’s philosophy.

• Chewbarkah says:

The W.O.D. is another failed big government power and employment program, that needs to be defunded because it doesn’t work. But anyone who thinks legalizing now-illegal drugs will convert traffickers into good citizens is dreaming. Federal prisons are no more full of angelic small-time mj users than Trayvon was a 12-year old astronaut-in-waiting. Dope possession convictions are just easy cases to make, and create the illusion of doing something.

Gang criminals are in the dope biz precisely because it is off limits to legitimate business. Decriminalize sales and use by adults and the gangs will shift efforts into pushing to whatever age demographic remains illegal (i.e., children), selling other drugs, more aggressive pimping/white slavery, murder for hire, robbery, protection rackets, etc. The people Holder wants to protect have no where else to go but crime. He wants them voting Democrat, and sending huge amounts of gang cash to the happy pockets of inner city police and politicians.

• unitron says:

Are there currently huge organized criminal enterprises making millions selling tobacco and alcohol to minors?

• mung says:

The little known cigarette gangs where they literally make you walk a mile for a Camel.

• Chewbarkah says:

Cute, but address the core point: how would those currently making their living off the illegal drug industry make their living if that product is displaced?

• LittleLaughter says:

Unless all drugs, of any synthetic makeup, are legalized, the people who make a living on selling them will find a new one to sell. They will not just give up their lucrative incomes and go about selling stolen TV’s. A new, more powerful- and likely more dangerous chemistry will be made and that will become the new market.

• Spar Harmon says:

Whoa, Hoss! Big pharma is not a trustworthy custodian of our welfare. Might as well just lethally poison our water.
              Remember the goal; Corrupt the institutions, Control the media, Demoralize the population,
              THEN install tyranny.

• Rob Crawford says:

By selling it cheaper than the gubmint allows it to be sold.

By selling harder/harsher chemicals.

Sex slavery.

16. And there’s this event that happened a week ago now making all the national news right now – O’Reilly just addressed it. Why this is making news, really, is beyond me other than the age of the deceased, but then, again – they are feral thugs and this just goes to show that TM was NOT an innocent child. The aunt of the deceased actually had the nerve to say “So what if he had a gun. That didn’t give that officer the right to kill him!” Really, Ms. Qwana Barcene? He was chasing a man down the street shooting at him at 3:00 a.m. and refused to stop and drop his weapon when ordered to by the police. What should those officers have done, then? Let him kill the man he was intent on shooting or perhaps turn the gun on them?
    She hopes that the officer will be charged with murder because Trayvon Martin is never going to end and Sean Bell happened to my nephew. She goes on to say that 14 year old Shaaliver Douse was her sister’s only baby and that police shouldn’t keep getting away with murder. By the way, the “young man” was a gangbanger with a long rap sheet already at the tender age of 14.

17. I think this more bs lip service to Holders people. A “see all we are doing for you” poor oppressed current and future drug felons. Problem is Holder is going to be hard pressed to actually find anyone arrested to apply these guidelines to based on the criteria, first arrestee with the low amount of drugs with intent to sell or possession ? has to be caught violating a federal drug charge. Second, they cannot have ties to a gang, drug cartels or institutionalized crime syndicates. If these conditions aren’t the oxymoronic ideal of who is arrested I do not know what is.
    I am wondering how many non-violent, minimal holding, non-gang member drug felons we have serving long sentences in our federal prisons? Any color?
    The other message it sends is if you get arrested you want to go fed and claim no gang, cartel or institutional crime wave defense for a get out of jail free card.

18. I have not studied the subject in depth so forgive me if my seomwhat strong opining is not of the most informed kind. I accept being educated, at least corrected by others.

I have never tried drugs, not been tempted to. I DO believe though that putting people – black, pink, mauve – in a cell for many years due to possession of small, “personal-use” marijuana doses is moronic, cruel, disproportionate, and self-defeating.

This is where my tolerance stops. Anything having to do with hardcore drugs, children-related drug peddling, any type of violent crime enhanced by drug use…. doing away with serious, consistent judicial response yo that stuff… that’s horrible and irresponsible. Thanks for reading.

• PS I am COMPLETELY in agreement with Sundance re: the absurdity of the school-related dystopian hypocrisy, as well as re: the absurdity of denying the right of employers to take legitimate checks into consideration.

19. Wizzum says:

Let ‘em have at it. subsidize the stuff so that the gangs wont make money off it and the problem will go away. Liberty means taking RESPONSIBILITY for your actions. If there is no profit there is no motive to continue to push the poison.

• cryodiem says:

Patience is wearing thin as tolerance continues to tear away the fabric of civilized life. The profit motive should be eliminated.

• partyzant says:

There is no need to subsidize it (whatever it may be). Costs of production, particularly in a lax environment are minimal. I’d say we have all had enough of “subsidies”, in whatever form. Peter to pay Paul thing.

20. nepetalactone says:

Is this really as crazy as I think it is, based on a careful reading?
    Holder and others want to change the rules/laws to selectively NOT apply to blacks because blacks disproportionately are affected by rules/law, which MUST be the result of racism–is this what is being proposed?
    What about all the law abiding, working, or elderly blacks likely to be victimized by thugs getting a free pass?

21. katcreg says:

Why did this whole story and discussion immediately bring to my mind the history of cocaine, opium dens and laudanum and the chaos that caused in this country prior to the laws being effected to stop the abuse and destruction that came with it?

• Spar Harmon says:

katkreg…..I was there at the time those laws were being effected. It was preceded by an extensive propaganda campaign replete with studies and statistics about the effects of the drugs on the body, ratings of their addictive properties, and accounts of the ‘horrendous’ history you refer to. Scientists and scholars then and for years after who disputed these studies and questioned scientific and statistical veracity of the methods, had their careers ruined and some were blacklisted from any further research… there was no such chaos. I challenge you to find it. There are some who have a predilection to substance abuse. I am one, but I no longer am driven to indulge it. I have suffered some legal consequences. But I am also an good and honorable person if not in the grip of addiction. The legal consequences of my actions helped me get to where I could stop. Also I am aware that most people can use these substances and not abuse them. I cannot…Occam’s Razor…Discriminating where to apply the energy to effect positive change…When to hold ‘em ‘n’ when to fold ‘em.

• katcreg says:

And therein lies the danger of the drugs…..nobody knows prior to the addiction if they will become an addict or not. At least not that I’m aware of? The way you find out you’re an addict is if you use the drug of choice and then become hooked on them. And I do include alcohol in that as well. Some will become addicts and some will not.

Also the threat of incarceration is currently a deterrent to some who would listen to the law as it is today. And if that threat isn’t enough to stop their addiction, then if they go into the courts and get ordered to rehab, etc., then that is a chance for that person to be saved from a downward spiral, should they choose to accept it.

• Spar Harmon says:

When I got to a place where I could be honest enough with myself to admit that I was in the grip of addiction, I also had to admit that I was powerless to change it. There was a Power I knew, but I had to ask for the help and surrender to It’s working in my life…Then everything changed.

Recovery can not be coerced.

• yadent says:

A question, Who owns my body, society or me? If society owns it then I’m not a free person but a slave to the current whims of societal thought. However if I own my body then as a supposed free person I should be able to do with it as I see fit accepting full responsibility/consequences of my choices, expecting NO help, financially or otherwise, from society. I have dealt with thousands of inmates whose ‘crime’ was harming themselves. A waste of public resources. A side note: of the ten’s of thousands of ‘rehabilitating’ inmates I encountered, from their psych files, 80% of them indicated the gateway drug for them was….alcohol.

• John Ross says:

“katkreg…..I was there at the time those laws were being effected.”

The Harrison Narcotics Act (which effectively banned cocaine) was passed in December of 1914, almost 99 years ago. How old ARE you???

• Spar Harmon says:

No, I was talking about the scramble in the 60’s to put together a patois of drugs deemed addictive and criminalizing them…

22. rooferx says:

The big hand of the elites reaching out to “the people”, so they can, ya know, have a good time and not be held responsible even if it’s against the LAW. Kinda reminds me of the illegals within our borders. Locking in the votes.

23. June G says:

Can someone please provide examples of non-violent drug crimes? And are these documented to be the high percentage in the prison population as claimed?

Are “families” really impacted by incarceration for said non-violent drug crimes? Do the mothers end up on assistance because they lost the family breadwinner? So these are nice guys in jail who smoked pot after a long day at work, and after putting the children safely to bed? Or are people getting high and making babies on whoever without care of consequences?

I know daily pot smokers, who do in fact smoke pot after a hard day at work, and whose use does not impair their ability to do their jobs; they go to work sober and have excellent work records. Some survive and thrive in some pretty demanding jobs (i.e. Google.) They buy pot from their earned wages. They do not participate in risky behaviors. They have stable families. I also know some people, of ages 35-85, with serious health issues, who smoke pot for pain relief, or to control nausea and encourage appetite. None have ever been arrested for any reason. Is the jailing of productive citizens, like the people I describe, the problem that Holder is attempting to remedy? Maybe productive, stable people get jailed all the time for drugs, but I am personally just not aware of it. (Or maybe the meme, “Rich people get off, while poor people go to jail” is too simplistic to consider seriously. Maybe wealth provides stability, rather than exceptionality and exclusion from consequences of law. Maybe if you have a stable family, you can recover from your mistakes more readily. Duh. What a great advertisement for stable familes!!!! – that is going unheard and unheeded. Consequences to families for the screw ups of members have been keeping humans under control for many thousands of years. Government intervening in this keeps us all equal – ly miserable….. )

Will people continue to lose their jobs if they test positive for drugs, or be refused employment if they fail to pass a screening? How can they stay gainfully employed if they are users? Is the next step to do away with at least SOME workplace rules about employee drug use? Will employers be accused of “profiling” certain types of employees, and be forced to stop testing, or administer tests to everyone?

Will “drug treatment” be indicated? What does this mean? If they fail to stop using, do they just get another mandated treatment program, a la Lindsay Lohan? Are they in a house with children, or other users?

Federal minimum sentences are draconian, and the War on Drugs is bizarre, mishandled. But, in my view, this is just racist Holder trying to keep brothers out of jail, period. Just like racist Holder wants to legislate that white people cannot defend themselves against blacks without the sun, moon, and sky falling on them.

24. partyzant says:

Sundance, You have mail. Goodnight, Wolverines, wherever you may be!

25. LetJusticePrevail" says:

Eric Holder is usurping the power of Congress and the Judicial system.

• Fantasia says:

Holder is only following orders from his puppet master Obama. No one has fought them yet, on this indiscretionary law-making. They both are bypassing the rules of law and legislation, and the only reason they are is because no one is doing anything to stop them. Congress has been rendered useless, but they don’t CARE, as long as they get their paychecks. When was the last time ANYTHING happened in Congress?

Since the first time Obama got away with just making up laws, including the AHCA, he knew he was homefree.

Mark Levine has been on Fox news for two days niw, discussing this very thing.
      He was talking with Cavuto. I HIGHLY recommend trying to find this on youtube if you missed it.

He said that it’s time we face the truth, Democrats and progressives have been in play at this for 100 years. Planning and plotting. Obama finally put their plans into action, and Republicans are failing to do anything about it. He said it is time to face reality, they won, and this is the new rule of law. Since no one is going to take any steps to stop or change it, he will continue to get away with breaking the law. Obama wins over lofo’s by freebies. Others, in oower, he has the dirt on. He knows who he can blackmail. Don’t think it isn’t being done. I guarantee it was done to Petraeus, and that is why he outted himself on his affair. He disempowered them. Too bad he dropped the ball after tgat. People are afraid of Obama.

When people fear their government, it is tyranny.

The House could file an article of impeachment, obviously, the Senate would not convict, but the filing would be a step.

Obama has absolutely violated almost every part of the Constitution, but it matters not if no one says or does anything. Even the states are now allowing the Feds to run them. They are failing to enforce their own 10 th amendment rights.

This move by Holder usurps all states’ rights to enforce tveir iwn laws.

Obama owns us all. He has the dirt, and the power the blackmail, ir, in the case of the Benghazi survivors, to even disappear people.

26. Wraith says:

Does anyone realize that the Feds have no Constitutional authority to pass any drug laws in the first place?

Prohibition had to be established by the 18th Amendment, because the Constitution did not authorize FedGov to regulate alcohol. I’ve looked all over the Constitution, and I’m completely failing to find any mention of drugs anywhere in it. :?

27. scaretactics says:

Yeah..following the law might cramp your style…

This administration is shameless….

28. czarowniczy says:

Again, as in my previous post, black activists are PO’d that black defendants seem to get disproportionate sentences for their drug crimes. My litmus on this has always been: “OK, if the punishments for black offenders possessing crack are too harsh in relationship to whites who possess cocaine then let’s raise the sentencing guidelines so that they BOTH get tougher sentences!”. Almost invariable the activists start to sputter and speak in short incoherent sentences as they try to find words to explain why what they really want is for the sentences for black drug crimes LOWERED. The entertainment industry does not want the sentences for cocaine possession increased, nor does the California-centered hi-cost drug rehab business. As paranoid as it seems neither does the thriving drug business and its associated support industries (big banks especially) who make big bucks off of the cocaine business. Think I’m being too Miami Viceish? Go to http://www.unodc.org/unodc/secured/wdr/Cocaine_Heroin_Prices.pdf and see how the price of cocaine from 1990 to 2010 has fallen in relation to inflation and actual price. If the world’s governments were more than playing BS little games about combating drugs, especially in light of how much money each government puts into ‘combating’ drugs, don’t you think the price would be much higher? The ‘war on drugs’ and the judicial involvement is a huge joke – best you can do is try to keep your kids off of drugs but with the glitterati pushing consumption of drugs and alcohol as a sine of being ‘in’ and the government’s complicity in the process at all levels, good luck. We removed smoking from TV and movies as it was harmful yet drugs are splashed all over media – can you say hypocrisy?

• 22tula says:

We should start with the gateway drug – Ritalin
      “Why Johnny Still Can’t Read” by Dr. Kline and Dr. Balow

• czarowniczy says:

Don’t start me on that – my grandson was diagnosed by the school and its ‘doctor’ as hyperactive and loaded with Ritalin. I was states away and didn’t find out until on one visit I heard him beg hid Mom to not give him the drug because of the way it made him feel. The school system wouldn’t let him in without it and hid Mom didn’t get ahold of my wife who was a specialist in ADA and special-needs students. By the time we got the school by the attention-getters it was to late and he’d been turned off of school period. My Great grandson’s a bit hyperactive and if the school system tries that with him there’s going to be hell to pay. Too many hypocritical bureaucrats tin the educational system just want to get thru the day and go home, if they can drug or otherwise sidetrack special needs students they’ll do it in a flash. Every educator who lauds Ritalin or any other psychoactive drug for students should be forced to take it right along with them. Don’t ask me how I’d have it administered.

• maryfrommarin says:

As a teacher and a parent, I stand with you 100%, czar.

• czarowniczy says:

Once again we have the tail wagging the dog because parents take the easy road and just drop the kids off at the school doors, expecting the teachers to do their jobs while no one watches. DARE should start confiscating the Ritalin pushers’ cars. Parents reap what they sow.

• froggielegs says:

Oh Good grief don’t get me started on Ritalin either!!! When my son was in 2nd grade his teacher (who looked like she was 90 and should of long since retired) had my husband and I go in for a meeting 2 weeks after school started for the year. She looked at us and said “I don’t know what it is but your son has it!” Me being a former teacher in Massachusetts and learned all about ADD/ADHD in College, knew exactly what she was trying to say my son had but thought I would let her tell us since she diagnosed him with it. 20 Minutes into her failed attempt at telling us what our son had, she called in another teacher and said, what’s that thing Tommy in your class has and takes medicine for? The other teacher then went on to explain and my son’s teacher stood there saying yeah yeah that’s what your son has!. She then demanded we take our son to the doctor and have him put on medication. We said we would discuss it tonight and I will let her know in the morning what we decided. First thing in the morning the kids were lining up outside, I approached his teacher and told her my husband and I decided to have our son tested for ADD/ADHD before we put him on any medication. At the top of her lungs and in front of the entire school of kids lined up, she screamed at me “That’s NOT what I told you to do!!! I told you to take him to the doctor and put him on medication!!!” I then walked into the school asking her to follow me and got in her face and told her if she ever spoke to me like that again in front of my child, she better call an ambulance first because I will not be this nice the next time. I then walked down the school office and removed my sons enrollment in that school telling the principal, call me back when the nasty old hag retires!! She called me when my son got in the 4th grade. I never put him back there.

BTW we had our son tested independently outside of the school district and he did NOT have ADD/ADHD!!! We also learned that the school district has their own doctor who is known as Dr Ritalin and will give meds to any child who’s teacher diagnoses them with ADD/ADHD with out ever testing them!

I completely agree with you czarowniczy!! If you notice, the majority of those diagnosed with ADD/ADHD are boys! It amazes me how easy parents are willing to give up the rights of their children to schools. There is no way I would allow a teacher to make a medical diagnoses of my child to the point of putting them on medication! That’s NOT their job!

• czarowniczy says:

There’s a conference on teaching hyperactive self-regulation I’m going to try and attend so that I’ll have current info I can use to pound my GGS’s school if the need be. In the meantime everyone should realize that there are laws which they can use to level the school into treating their children without drugs. Special teaching is mandated but as it takes time and resources (OUR TAXES WE’VE PAID) they try hard to wriggle around them. Last resort, there’s always a lawyer who specializes in suing schools to get them to comply. It might be expensive but if one takes the action to the wall it’s possible to get the school ordered to pay your lawyer’s fees. Hey, Just Say No.

• auscitizenmom says:

When he was about 6, my son had a friend who was on Ritalin. It didn’t take me long to diagnose this child’s real problem. The only thing he would drink was Dr. Pepper and the only thing he would eat was an occasional hot dog. He was very underweight, nervous, and angry. Isn’t it obvious what his problem was?

• czarowniczy says:

One of the problems I see with Rit is that it’s an upper but, in young children, it has a paradoxical reaction and becomes a downer. No one can tell me that after dosing the hell out of a child for years s/he doesn’t get addicted – the changes in the child’s internal chemistry alone as s/he grows can’t help but be effected by the stuff coursing the body 24/7. Then, at what point, does the paradoxical effect revert to the true ‘upper’ effect? I wonder how many Congresspersons’ ADHD-diagnosed children get drugged into submission?

• Sharon says:

That whole thing in the public schools has an overhead, and cash flow, and power players, and vested interests that aren’t all that different than the BGI. Lots of money at stake. They are not going to let go of the opportunities.

We had hyperactive kids in my classroom in 1951 in first grade, too. They were punished and given a note to carry home to their parents. Things went better after a couple of weeks of sunlight on their ornery little lives. The same couple of boys struggled with their behavior all the way through….grade after grade after grade….but nobody ever gave ‘em an inch.

Our son was on ritalin and restricted diet after he started first grade, AFTER we had a workup done on him at the Scripps Instititue in LaJolla confirming that he had some auditory/synapse/lapse/neurological issue that he did indeed eventually grow out of.

But he went off the ritalin and off the diet on the same day that he used his understanding of his situation as an excuse for his behavior. His mother (myself) said, “Ah ha! If you are smart enough to understand all of that [this was in sixth grade ( 1976)] you are smart enough to control your behavior without the help of either ritalin or diet…guess what, bud? You have just taken on complete personal responsibility for your behavior. You know how the diet restrictions may help you–use what you know. I’ll fight for you and I’ll fight with you–but I will not let you excuse your behaviors when you could control them.”

They’ve been at this for forty years now–perfecting Baker-Acting long before Florida ever thought of it.

• czarowniczy says:

I had hyper kids in my classes during elementary school days- even had a few with polio (y’all remember that?) but the nuns handled it with few problems or distractions. When I switched to public school we still had the old ‘pre-60s enlightenment’ teachers who managed the classroom quite well. We’ve lost something and I don’t see us regaining it any time soon – it’s going to be an adversarial relationship twixt parent and school for those parents who wish to be other than passive bystanders.

• A Citizen says:

“the gateway drug – Ritalin”
        To some that sounds hysterical, but it is not. Ritalin is an amphatamine, a powerful drug used, at least until recently, only for severe medical conditions where the substantial risks were outweighed by the need to treat a disease. For someone with a developing brain (under about 20) it’s not something to be used lightly.

Force young boys to sit still and do girly stuff all day, then be driven around instead of walking/biking, then having them play indoors because all the parents are paranoid and whaddya know, they’re all jumpy, frustrated and “whatever it is your kid has it”.

29. LittleLaughter says:

I don’t think I have ever known of someone who went directly to shooting up. The nasty little side dish to drugs is that after a while, the user needs more of it in order to feel “normal”. Of course, not everyone winds up shooting black tar heroin between their toes, but there are thousands of addicts who started out doing “minor” drugs, or “just a little blow”, only to find themselves totally consumed by it and looking for a better high. What happens then? They cannot hold a job. Even legal drugs cost money. Ahhhh- a government program to give checks to the people who are dependant on what would then be a legal drug. A new kind of EBT card. this one pays for your upkeep, as well as your drugs and clean needles. I actually know someone who gets a government check every month because she has been a lifelong alcoholic. Never held a job- but her *nerves* are to blame…riiiight.

30. froggielegs says:

I will say that I don’t agree with mandatory sentences for weed. Possession here can land you in jail for a year while growing weed will get you 4 + years in state prison. And no I do not believe the myth that weed is a gateway drug. I’ve known many pot smokers in my life and they don’t do anything but smoke pot No other drugs.

Now other drugs, I agree with mandatory sentences.

31. Jeff B. says:

Until Russell Simmons finally admits and stop denying that he is “Gay” then I won’t listen to anything he has to say because he can’t be truthful with himself and others… and there is nothing wrong with being gay.

32. St. Benedict's Thistle says:

None of this will stop until the people rise up to make it stop. Currently, we have a non-functioning Congress, a tyrannical executive branch, and a corrupt judiciary. We lost the culture war some time ago. The Constitution has been set aside, and we the people have allowed it to happen.

The next time someone tells me that their school district is wonderful I think I will scream. Our children are not being taught the Constitution from K-12, are not being properly formed to understand our rights and duties as citizens of the United States of America. How many of us (me included) have read the Federalist Papers, or even have a passing familiarity with the Constitution? This massive willful ignorance that we the people allowed to happen is our downfall as a free people.

The fact that in the great state of Texas, the school curriculum is allowed to describe the Americans at Lexington and Concord as “domestic terrorists” (see link below) and cannot seem to keep such things from being taught, is evidence of a rot so deep and endemic that nothing short of an uprising on the part of we the people will have any effect.

Until we can set aside our emotional discomfort and admit what we have allowed to happen, nothing will change. We the people have allowed traitors to rewrite our history and intentionally indoctrinate our children with anti-western, anti-constitutional, Marxist drivel. We deserve this, and we will deserve it until we the people decide to fight back.

I believe there are many things that can be done. Education is just one front in this war to restore our republic, but it is vital. There are many good resources available. I bet some retired teachers could put together a stellar curriculum of first-rate resources that parents and teachers could refer to. Parents and students could learn together. If we don’t start with ourselves and our own children, and if we don’t have the courage to stand up and say to our government, “Thus far and no farther,” there will be no end to the tyranny.

Uh, getting off pedestal now. Sorry for the rant.

• Spar Harmon says:

Loved your rant, St.Benedict, also the Constitution site of Publius H.

• St. Benedict's Thistle says:

Yes, her site is invaluable. I hadn’t visited it for a long time, but did just this morning. I see that she has come under the surveillance of DHS.

Truth is very dangerous to those who want to deprive us of our liberties.

• Sharon says:

It’s done.

Such material is already available, in great, wonderful stacks of books/options, and is used hundreds of thousands of homeschooling parents. (and has been for years)

The reason the public schools do not use such material is specifically NOT that it’s not available. They do not want to.

• St. Benedict's Thistle says:

I know that (I homeschooled my kids). I’m saying we need an organized vehicle to help get these resources out on a nationwide level.

What needs to happen is that some influential Americans in the public sphere need to take this on as a ministry. Bill Bennett got the K12 curriculum going and Glenn Beck does some of this, but more is needed. What would help is a template of how to crowd source one’s local school curriculum, how to expose the indoctrination, and how to go about the arduous task of taking back the school board (which is so often a starting point for leftists to get into local politics). Grassroots level stuff, but from a well-organized national resistance group(s).

Then, we need some allies in the academic fields who would be willing to take on the groups that write and peddle these school books and the teacher unions that support the rot. Not just in one article, but in an ongoing campaign to keep the issue before the public. We need to wage war in the public sphere of ideas.

Look, even though I think we are in great danger of losing “our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor,” I also think we have no choice but to fight. If we don’t resist, we are indeed lost. As long as we are willing to fight, there is chance we can win.

We need to be people who have nothing to lose. By that I mean people who know the cost of fighting the good fight. You will be vilified in the local/national press, you will be shunned by friends, you will make enemies in positions of authority. You will lose and gain allies at a stunning rate. You must be willing to go it alone for a time. You must give up personal time, your own financial resources, and risk alienating even family members. You must be willing to learn everything you need to win. You must be willing to be a zealot and eat, think, and sleep the issue. In short, the battle to take back our nation is a brick-by-brick proposition. This country was not built in a day, it was not taken down in a day, and it will not be rebuilt in a day.

To put it in a nutshell we all need to be Sundance. We need to be Breitbart. We all need to be George and Martha Washington and John and Abigail Adams. If we don’t become the heroes and heroines that are desperately needed at this time, then all is indeed lost.

• LittleLaughter says:

I enjoyed your rant. I spoke recently to a teacher who taught at my son’s former charter school. She, along with another former teacher from the same school, are currently working on a new charter, that will be based on academics and the Constitution. It sounded like a wonderful curriculum as she explained it to me. When my son’s charter first arrived in our county, few parents were interested. However, after news began to circulate about how different it was to the local schools, more and more bagan to put their kids there. In 2002, the school had to hold it’s first lottery because there were too many applicants to fill the cap. Siblings were automatically given a spot. My son’s class sizes in the 6th grade were about 14, double what it had been just the year before. His graduating class in 2010 was the largest ever, with 47. When he first started, the school only offered grades 6-12. A new elementary school campus was built and has been at capacity from day one. This year, siblings had to be wait-listed.
      My point is, many, many parents are looking for choices for their child’s education. Many who had home schooled sent their kids to the charter school in the 6th or 9th grade. It is a combination of atmosphere, caring and hardworking teachers, student’s who have been raised to believe their education is important, parents who are concerned about their children and who take part in the school, and a curriculum that was/is stellar. The local public schools scrambled and are still scrammbling to make changes in an effort to keep up.
      Yet the liberals in my state want to thwart charter schools and home schooling as well. Not just in my state, but from the federal govt as well. They do not want choices. They do not want parents to be able to choose for their children. They want to control everything.

• St. Benedict's Thistle says:

This is exactly what I just said in my latest rant. We have to do just what your friend is doing, and we cannot give up. We can, we must outlast, outthink, outmaneuver and outfight them.

• Kukunet Garbel says:

End the Department of Education.
        Why am I required to send one dollar ($1.00) to the federal government so that the federal government can send seventy cents ($0.70) to the State capital so that the State capital can send forty nine cents {$0.49) to the Intermediate unit so the Intermediate unit can send thirty cents ($0.30) to my local school district?

Kukunet

• Fantasia says:

You are correct, but with over 50% of the population actually supporting this admin, while the rest of us work to support them, there is little time or inclination to make a move. People are also taking the lead of conservative leadership, basically, sit back and take it.

If a real, solid grassroots movement were to start, people would feel more encouraged. It only takes one, but so far, all they seem to be willing to do is sit on tv and whine about it. Who wants to be the lone man on the road, after work, holding a sign about our government?

Talk about being a target. Not just for violence, but for tax audits and other types of persecutions. It will take a lot to encourage people to take action.

• St. Benedict's Thistle says:

When the neighbors are taken away in the middle of the night, perhaps people will get involved. By then it may be too late. People need to find their passion (is it education, or is it taxes, or race relations or whatever) and get involved. Now.

It does only take one person to get the ball rolling. Small groups of people can accomplish huge things if they get involved, and stay involved. Never give up. Never give in.

33. Igy says:

Not making excuses but it is likely the disproportionate number of black youths in jail for drugs (or any other crime) is partially related to the cost of hiring a lawyer. If there is any value to that observation, it would apply to poor whites as well.
    Perhaps we need the legal equivalent of Obama-care in America.
    Not making excuses for lawyers fees, but if a lawyer charged, say $40.00 per hour as opposed to hundreds, the legal system would be clogged up so bad that……………………………..Hey, maybe I’m on to something here.

34. dodo says:

Conservative blacks get how destructive the cultural abyss of the inner city blacks is.

35. JC says:

A very libertarian program, decriminalize drug use. The US should subsidize downer drugs like pot via food stamps and keep the young thugs all nodding off. New pot strains have 20X the THC of the stuff from the 60s and 70s, keep these guys in a Cheech & Chong haze of their own making, their addled brains will be their jails without bars.

• Sharon says:

The US should subsidize downer drugs like pot via food stamps……

(or, to rephrase, the government which was established to secure the rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, should pay for people to get drugged up so that they are unable to function normally and may hit their family members and accidentally kill people while on the drugs; and the government should pay for this by taking money from people who are not drugged up, who got their money to begin with by going to a job where they worked and got paid [which the drugged up person cannot do because they can’t hold a job] and this money, which is taken from the person who worked for it, and taken away from them by the government which is not securing THEIR rights, will be distributed to the person who needs drugs by an EBT card called food stamps….)

Oh. Now I see. I just hadn’t thought it through. Yeah. That sounds like a really terrific idea. And we have a Congress right now that will love it.

8O and :evil:

• sangell says:

I used to smoke marijuana years ago. It was ubiquitous if you went to rock concerts and people would pass a ‘joint’ to you. You could buy a ‘lid’ for $10 or $20. Then came the designer marijuana’s. The Maui Wowie and Northern California Sensemilla stuff where one of two ‘hits’ left you stoned for hours. I stopped smoking this stuff because it was too strong.

That’s the problem and the lie to all this medical marijuana and legalization jazz. There is no way to control for dosage. I know if I drink a can of Budweiser how much alcohol I will consume. Couple of cans no problem. Twelve pack and you are staggering. Modern marijuana growers can load their plants up with so much THC it has nothing in common with the marijuana of years ago. The FDA would never allow pain killers to be sold wherein on pill might be a 5mg dose and another a 20mg dose and no way for the consumer to tell the difference!

• jc says:

Well I was being slightly tongue in cheek (I thought).
        I think the Libertarian view is that if people want to blow their minds with drugs but don’t harm others that is their right. I offered a more progressive idea that the government might want to encourage or even subsidize potentially violent young thugs to use downer drugs like super pot. If they had a limitless supply of cheap/free pot they wouldn’t have to steal to get drug money and they’d be too zonked to play games like Knockout King.

• Sharon says:

Sorry, sometimes I’m dense. And sometimes, with no visual cues on the comment, we actually have no way of knowing if someone is dead serious. My apologies…..

Some of us are really old and humorless about drug abuse.. ;)

36. nivico says:

We adopted minimum sentencing standards and guidelines in the first place because it is inherently wrong to treat two defendants differently when they’ve committed the exact same crime. The very notion of disparate punishments for the same crime is the antithesis of equal treatment under the law.

Minimum sentencing was the great equalizer… requiring the same minimum sentence regardless of who the defendant was made the system color-blind and class-blind as it should be. Granted, all lawyers are not created equally which inherently means that some defendants can afford more adequate legal counsel than others.

But now Holder wants to take us back to the days of a completely discretionary system where judges are allowed to take a defendant’s personal circumstances into account. Surely he knows that this will invariably lead once again to claims that certain segments of the population are shown more leniency while others are punished more strictly.

• Sharon says:

The kind of thinking that’s driving this is exactly the same kind of thinking that dumped millions of mentally ill (at many levels of difficulty) out of mental facilities in the 1970s, in the name of kindness, and left them to fend for themselves or for families to deal with–families who, in many cases, were neither physically or financially able to provide the support needed, even if they loved their mentally unstable family member very much. It’s too bad that the people who come up with this nonsense are progressives for a lifetime instead of just a day. They’re killing us.

37. Jude McRon says:

I am not smart when it comes to posting a video antwhere, but if someone could help, there is a video under wftv.com (Orlando news station), of a robbery caught on camera in Sanford Florida, at a Beauty salon, where the owners small children were present. It is chilling, to say the least. If I knew how to post it here, I would share it. Maybe someone could help. Thanks

38. whiteradish says:

Trayvon’s Laws

39. A Citizen says:

Are you sure this is mostly about using? I see it as about selling, with using incidental to other criminal career tracks. Dealers, for what little I know, look at the customers as suckers and regard other dealers who use as losers and not reliable as crew members. But I’ve never been in the ‘lifestyle’ so this is 3rd hand.

So in total, the effect can be (will be?) to run a de facto protection setup for some people to deal, with stupid suburban users being the main customers. Maybe I’ve grown cynical, but lately it seems the powers-that-be have dropped most of the pretense of being honest and respecting honest people.

We’re all on the same page about this, we won’t get anywhere just reminding each other. What we have to do is change the thinking that criminality is kinda cool and it’s a heroic rebellion against the system. That won’t be as easy as it sounds, look at the Bulger crew. Whitey was a hero in Southie for many years, the tilt to promote wrong over right is popular and is not easy to fight.

40. Pingback: Politics: Capsizing the Republic – Cloward and Piven on the Southern Border | Pitts Report