Doing what Jesus would do isn’t nearly as super-spiritual, frothy, odd or goofy as it is usually thought to be. It’s pretty practical. The Bible says that the common people heard him gladly — for a very good reason.

Doing what Jesus would do

will have characteristics like – dignified, strong, sensible, magnetic.

Effective. Without mixed motives.

The four gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) contain a plethora of information regarding what Jesus actually did do — when someone was rude, when someone interrupted him, or when someone evaded the important issues — so if we are interested in answering the question, “What would Jesus do?” it makes sense to check there.

Here are some examples of what Jesus actually did do in a variety of situations.

tree9When someone saw themselves as sinful and broken…He encouraged them and lifted them up.

He saw the possibilities for redemption in their lives and did not have a need for them to feel “no good.”  Luke 5:8-10

When someone who everybody else thought was a real turkey invited Jesus to lunch – He went.

He did not have a need to prove Himself by who He associated with or didn’t associate with.  Luke 5:29, 30

trees1When those who should have known better were afraid, He reproved them and helped them in their fear.

His motive for exposing weakness was to help–therefore, exposing the weakness was not contrary to helping.  Luke 8:24-25

When someone said something inappropriate and with bad judgment, He did not make that person feel foolish or stupid.

He allowed for lack of understanding and allowed for time for folks to understand better.  He did not expose others’ lack of understanding to make Himself look good.  Luke 9:33, 34

When He was interrupted in the middle of speaking by a a rather bizarre occurrence, He allowed the interruption, listened to the reason for it, and did what He could to meet the need.

He was not embarrassed by the need or by the method.  He did not need to control others’ behavior (Note: on other occasions, He stopped people flat in their tracks…He didn’t let other people control His behavior either) Luke 5:18-20

tree5When someone got felt deprived and unrewarded because mercy was shown to someone who didn’t deserve it, He advocated explaining as much as possible to the unhappy one; advocated forgiveness where needed; and, advocated accountability and mature behavior all around.

He was aware of swings of human behavior and emotions but did not think they should be unleashed in a moment of disappointment. Luke 15:25-32

When someone who honestly didn’t get it asked Him for clarification regarding something He had said, He gave it

He was approachable. His way of teaching did not set up barriers, but invited explortion.  Luke 12:41, 42

tree3When He was faced with the specifics of His own death (including some torture) He continued thinking clearly with regard to others’ situations and needs, and spoke to the issue.

Personal pressure and fracture did not reveal anything that was contrary to what He had been teaching.  Luke 23:26-28

When He had information that others did not have, He shared it if it was going to be needed – even when they didn’t know what they didn’t know, and didn’t know it would be needed.

*He did not try to protect some image by being predictable; He was not jealous of inside information; He was generous with knowledge; He did not talk down to His audience even as He knew they would not all, or always, get it. John 2:19-24

When someone had lived with chronic illness for a length of time, He questioned them about their desire to be made whole. He didn’t assume they weren’t ok with being sick.

tree8He knew human frailty and realized that it was possible that someone did not want to be well. He called for a commitment, and a declaration of a desire to be whole.  He knew that weakness/illness could be attractive in some ways and clarified the issue. John 5:6

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzchurchribbon

So, there you have it. Answers to the question, “What would Jesus do?”

Probably something similar to what He did.

*He encouraged broken people and went to lunch with those who invited Him. He challenged His closest friends when they had irrational fears and wasn’t too hard on someone who misspoke.

*He didn’t get irritated with unexpected interruptions from folks who needed Him to do something He was able to do for them.

*He shared information with His friends that He knew they’d be needing, but He didn’t open Himself up to being used and abused by those who might be manipulative.

That’s probably what He would do!

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to We are not dependent on projection, transference, or speculation for answers to the excellent question, “What would Jesus do?”

1. Excellent! Many people could benefit from reading this post. Unfortunately, the ones who could benefit the most are the ones who would shrug it off as irrelevant to them. The more “enlightened” among us who have no need of a “mythical man in the sky” to guide their lives. So sad so that so many are lost. Evil has truly gained solid footing in our country and around the world.

2. Stormy says:

Mathew 9:11-13 NASB
    11 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to His disciples, “Why is your Teacher eating with the tax collectors and sinners?” 12 But when Jesus heard this, He said, “It is not those who are healthy who need a physician, but those who are sick. 13 But go and learn [a]what this means: ‘I desire [b]compassion, [c]and not sacrifice,’ for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Footnotes:

Matthew 9:13 Lit what is
    Matthew 9:13 Or mercy
    Matthew 9:13 I.e. more than

• Stormy says:

Luke 5:30-32 NASB
      30 The Pharisees and their scribes began grumbling at His disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with the tax collectors and [a]sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered and said to them, “It is not those who are well who need a physician, but those who are sick. 32 I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.

3. dws says:

great post

4. czarowniczy says:

Great post. In general I presume that if people ask ‘what would Jesus do’ it’s an indicator that they have no idea themselves.

• Sharon says:

Along that line–as I comment below–that is precisely what I’ve noticed over the years: very often those who insist on asking this question answer it from some internalized version of Jesus (sometimes a very bad “likeness” of Him) and don’t seem to consider what He actually did do.

5. Sharon says:

Part of the reason I have this information on hand is because I discovered, many years ago when I was teaching women’s neighborhood Bible studies, that a high percentage of the women who were Christians and had been for a long time really did not know their Bibles.

They truly did not know how much information was available in the Gospels about the everyday habits, manners and boundaries of Jesus. Unfortunately, as Christians they had actually turned their Savior into a mythical man, and were actually not benefiting from relationship with Him so much. It was not surprising to see that they struggled with understanding His personal concern for them and His knowledge of what it was like to deal with everyday life.

I hope that Christians will benefit from reading this post. Those who are trusting the Sovereign God for both time and eternity really need to be strengthened and encouraged and “settled” in these days and be encouraged to understand that Jesus is not some high-muckety-muck off-in-the-distance Savior.

He certainly is King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He is also Son of Man, and calls Himself our Shepherd. The best of all worlds is what we have in Him. He knows us. He invites us to enjoy the relationship. I hope the post reminds of ways that the relationship is understandable and beneficial–for each of us.

• dws says:

Even though this world looks increasingly scary, we really are fortunate to live in these times. I have no doubt that this is the time of the return of the crucified one, the king of kings, who will fill the world with justice as it has been filled with injustice before.

6. justfactsplz says:

Thank you Sundance for showing through scripture who our Lord is. This lost evil world needs to see his love, compassion, and truth.

• stella says:

This is Sharon’s post, not Sundance’s. It’s good, isn’t it?

• justfactsplz says:

Oh, so sorry. I usually read who posts the articles. I have company visiting my husband and I was a bit distracted. It is better than good, Ms. Sharon.

• akathesob says:

Common sense and Incite, only took a few articles to tell who writes what. One has a common sense most could only wish for. The other has the incite that only a 100 years of living could begin to touch… just saying.

• justfactsplz says:

I am sorry for that mistake. I should have known from reading all of her posts that it was Sharon. My incite is off today and I hope I still have my common sense, lol. You are right, I should have known who it was.

• Spar Harmon says:

When I began my practice of inviting the Presence to walk with me and guide my steps, it was very difficult. After all I have been sick in mind and heart all my life. Now some years into this lifetime journey, it remains true that my only enemy is myself and the only remedy is surrender to and have faith in the only Power. Jesus invited me to kneel shoulder to shoulder with Him and pray “Our Father….” And promised that all I NEEDED would come;
      So I made the commitment to healing, and what I have needed does come.
      I have come to see that 60 years of sickness of soul means a serious addiction to not being OK, and there layers and layers of lies, new and old , to protect what was entrenched in me. After struggling fruitlessly to change me, ‘fix’ me, obsessively, compulsively, on and on…
      I have to stop. Go limp and quiet. And ask Him again to heal me; I cannot do it myself; once again I surrender…
      So Sharon your last example speaks loudly to me. I am one of those broken people. So I do what Jesus did: I minister to other broken people and share with them the path I found to a serene life.
      Bless you all in your Paths…Spar Harmony

• St. Benedict's Thistle says:

Preach it, friend. I too am broken–beyond repair, except what He can do in me. I needed to hear that again this day.

• Sharon says:

Me, too. Which is why it’s so blasted important that we know Him as He is–instead of creating some substitute and lesser version of a Savior. We need the genuine article.

• justfactsplz says:

What a beautiful post Spar. As you strive to be more godly, you will overcome these things. Walking with him and surrendering to him, allows HIM to change us. Helping and loving others is a valuable lesson you have learned in your life. God bless you in your walk with them.

• akathesob says:

WOW! Excellent grasp on his words.

7. ZurichMike says:

Thanks for this post!

8. Sam says:

Excellent reading! Thanks, Sharon.

• Spar Harmon says:

Ah yes, Sharon, ‘as He is’—
      The Quakers maintained that one’s spiritual life begins with a deep personal encounter with the Divine Within and proceeds from that “convincement.” “Conversion” was not a useful word for them. So having been convinced by my inner experience, which I can in no wise deny, and being totally and lamely human, I search for what can help me walk in the Light. Jesus most consistently has provided that resonant guidance: He invites me to pray with Him as a child of the Father; he invites me to Hear His teachings; He invites me to Do the Father’s work as guidance brings me to it; He tell me not to fear for He is with me; He recommends that I lay my heart open to all and speak only the truth I have been given; that in action one learns truth, but to prepare by being Still and Knowing God’s Presence; And to Love, Love, Love without ceasing…

9. howie says:

If I was Jesus I would know. I am not so I just do the best I can as a human. Nobody can do what Jesus would do.

• Sharon says:

I John 2:6 says, “He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked” and Philippians 2:5 says, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus,…”

There are many other similar Scriptures which plainly indicate that those who are followers of Christ are to resemble Him in their choices, assumptions, behaviors and attitudes.

This post was not put forth as a word game or as some “turn-of-a-phrase” but as an effort to help us see what the Gospels show about Jesus’ ways of relating to people.

Scripture indicates that those who follow Christ will change their minds about some things.

Your statement “Nobody can do what Jesus would do” is incorrect. Jesus was kind to the Apostle Peter, at a moment when Peter felt really broken: I am able to be kind to someone who is broken.

Accepting the truth of His life as Son of Man does not minimize/reduce the identity of Jesus, the Christ or the non-negotiable fact of His identity as Son of God. Philippians 2:7 says He “came in the likeness of men.”

As I have stated before, the Scriptures are the source I use for information and revelation about God; therefore, this post is drawn from within the context of what Scripture has to say about Jesus, the Christ, and about the lives of those He has redeemed. Different conclusions about Christ and our lives can be drawn by using different sources. I use Scripture.

Your comment touches on many major doctrinal issues that I don’t have the capacity to express, but just one more verse from John 14:12, “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.”

• doodahdaze says:

I don’t have as much faith as a Mustard Seed. Darn it.

• Spar Harmon says:

Faith came to me after. Faith = Trust in that Power. When I am afraid I am not trusting in what my own experiences have taught me. I don’t understand anything about God except what my experiences have taught me. The only truth I have to share is my experiences. God can work through an humble and honest sharing, unconditionally and lovingly offered. Preachments never cut it for me, so why would I expect it to work on another?

• Spar Harmon says:

• Spar Harmon says:

This is a hard nut to crack, I know: it was an obstacle to my own spiritual striving until I was broken, old, and bankrupt from doing ‘the best I can as a human.’ Once broken it was do something different or die for me. I finally did what had been suggested to me. I broke, I admitted that I could not go on, I admitted I loathed what I was, I cried out to Whatever might help me…Help me. Help me. I can not help myself….And help came.
      I cannot frame with words what happened then…. but I knew peace…
      And practicing being with that Presence is my guide…
      You actually Are Jesus when that which filled him fills you. But I doesn’t happen until you invite It. At least that is how I interpret my experience. If you are satisfied with your life, Howie, then be well. If not, keep searching, guaranteed: it is there to find…

• Spar Harmon says:

OOOKKK

• Dude. You just seriously gave me goosebumps.

• KPM58 says:

That happens to me. Recently when I was reading about the priest who showed up at a car wreck and told the rescuers to keep trying and they would succeed at saving the trapped people. Before I had consciencely realized what I was reading a tingle came over my body and goosebumps covered my arms. It is a nice feeling. I am glad others have it too.

• Spar Harmon says:

Yeah??? Then I bet you Know what I mean. I went 45 days with my life crushing problem still rampant but going to meetings where people from all walks of life were sharing their version of this very experience, or were reaching out as I was…but I just could not Break. My own shares were wonderful; many came up after meetings and thanked me much to my shame. Then one night a man I much admired came up to me, grabbed me at the juncture of neck and shoulder, squeezed and said– Spar, you can’t share what you haven’t experienced. Try taking the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth for a few days, or maybe just tell us how much you want what you see we have…
          Softly, comfortingly, lovingly he made those recommendations…That’s when I actually met Jesus, I think. In him.

• doodahdaze says:

If you knock at the door there will be an answer. Every time.

10. Occigent says:

And what would Jesus NOT have done?

He would not have ever, ever given the Jews sovereignty. And that was why they hated Him, and that’s ultimately what got Him killed.

So while Jesus WOULD do many, many great things that teach us how to deal with each other in ways which the Father approves, we must also recognize what Jesus would not ever, ever do. Because it’s what He wouldn’t do that got him killed, and it’s what He wouldn’t do that’s often most difficult to follow.

Support for Israel cannot in any way be a part of a genuine Christian worldview. I’m sorry to be a fly in the ointment. But it’s what Jesus would do.

• stella says:

Of course, Jesus was tried and killed by Romans.

• Darn you and your pesky facts!!!

• Sharon says:

John 18:31 “Then Pilate said to them, [the Jews] ‘You take Him and judge Him according to your law.’ Therefore the Jews said to him, “It is not lawful for us to put anyone to death.”

So, yeah, the Romans were indeed the hired killers.

The one charge the Jews had against Him that was fact-based was from His own testimony. Luke 23:70, 71. “Then they all said, ‘Are You then the Son of God?’ And He said to them, ‘You rightly say that I am.’ And they said, ‘What further testimony do we need? For we have heard ourselves from His own mouth.”

He told the truth about Himself. And about them. Caused murderous thoughts, it did. Funny how that keeps happening.

So we need to stop acting shocked at what happens when we say true things that people don’t want to hear.

• dws says:

Pilate said to them, “Take him yourselves and judge him by your own law.” The Jews said to him, “It is not lawful for us to put anyone to death.” (John 18:31, ESV)

The Jewish elders could judge him, but their desire to kill Jesus was prevented because it was not “lawful for us to put anyone to death.” The unlawfulness was that they could not carry out an execution themselves, being under Roman occupation. To kill Jesus they had to convince, coerce, or force the Romans to carry out the dirty deed for them.

• dws says:

I would summarize it as follows: The chief priests and elders of the Jewish people plotted to arrest and kill Jesus. {Then the chief priests and the elders of the people gathered in the palace of the high priest, whose name was Caiaphas, and plotted together in order to arrest Jesus by stealth and kill him. But they said, “Not during the feast, lest there be an uproar among the people.” (Matthew 26:3-5, ESV)}

Jesus was betrayed by Judas Iscariot to the chief priests of the Jewish people: {Then one of the twelve, whose name was Judas Iscariot, went to the chief priests and said, “What will you give me if I deliver him over to you?” And they paid him thirty pieces of silver. And from that moment he sought an opportunity to betray him. (Matthew 26:14-16, ESV)}

Jesus was arrested in the garden by the temple officers: {Now Judas, who betrayed him, also knew the place, for Jesus often met there with his disciples. So Judas, having procured a band of soldiers and some officers from the chief priests and the Pharisees, went there with lanterns and torches and weapons. (John 18:2-3, ESV)}

He was first brought before Annas: {First they led him to Annas, for he was the father-in-law of Caiaphas, who was high priest that year. It was Caiaphas who had advised the Jews that it would be expedient that one man should die for the people. (John 18:13-14, ESV)}

Then high priest Caiaphas: {Now the chief priests and the whole council were seeking false testimony against Jesus that they might put him to death, but they found none, though many false witnesses came forward. At last two came forward and said, “This man said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to rebuild it in three days.’” (Matthew 26:59-61, ESV)}

And they condemned him to death: {But Jesus remained silent. And the high priest said to him, “I adjure you by the living God, tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God.” Jesus said to him, “You have said so. But I tell you, from now on you will see the Son of Man seated at the right hand of Power and coming on the clouds of heaven.” Then the high priest tore his robes and said, “He has uttered blasphemy. What further witnesses do we need? You have now heard his blasphemy. What is your judgment?” They answered, “He deserves death.” (Matthew 26:63-66, ESV)}

{When morning came, all the chief priests and the elders of the people took counsel against Jesus to put him to death. And they bound him and led him away and delivered him over to Pilate the governor. (Matthew 27:1-2, ESV)}

But because Judea was under Roman occupation, the Jewish elders and priests did not have the power to execute him themselves, so they turned Jesus over to Pilate, who questioned him. It would be stretch to call that a trial. Nevertheless, Pilate was counseled by his wife “Have nothing to do with that righteous man, for I have suffered much because of him today in a dream.” (Matthew 27:19, ESV) and Pilate “knew that it was out of envy that they had delivered him up.” (Matthew 27:18, ESV) and Pilate himself said, “Why, what evil has he done?” But they shouted all the more, “Let him be crucified!” (Matthew 27:23, ESV)

and according to Luke, Pilate found Jesus not guilty: {Pilate then called together the chief priests and the rulers and the people, and said to them, “You brought me this man as one who was misleading the people. And after examining him before you, behold, I did not find this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither did Herod, for he sent him back to us. Look, nothing deserving death has been done by him. I will therefore punish and release him.” (Luke 23:13-16, ESV)}

And Pilate even went so far as to offer the crowds the choice of freeing either the murderer Barabbas or the Son of God, Jesus: {But they all cried out together, “Away with this man, and release to us Barabbas”—a man who had been thrown into prison for an insurrection started in the city and for murder. Pilate addressed them once more, desiring to release Jesus, but they kept shouting, “Crucify, crucify him!” A third time he said to them, “Why, what evil has he done? I have found in him no guilt deserving death. I will therefore punish and release him.” But they were urgent, demanding with loud cries that he should be crucified. And their voices prevailed. (Luke 23:18-23, ESV)}

So the plot to kill Jesus was clear, and the instigators are clear, and it is undoubtedly true that the willing, though apparently less than enthusiastic or perhaps reluctant, executioners were the Romans.

• doodahdaze says:

What? Why do you think Jesus gave us the Lords Prayer?

• stella says:

Of course, Jesus was a Jew. God chose to send his Son to earth as a Jew, because the Jews are the chosen people. When Jesus came to this earth, “he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham” (Hebrews 2:16). He came to this earth as “the son of David, the son of Abraham” (Matthew 1:1).

• stella says:

Acts 1:6-8

New International Version (NIV)

6 Then they gathered around him and asked him, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?”

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

• “that’s ultimately what got Him killed.”

Um…no. Try John 3:16.

• maryfrommarin says:

Occigent–

“[Jesus] would not have ever, ever given the Jews sovereignty…Support for Israel cannot in any way be a part of a genuine Christian worldview.”

That is a seriously bizarre point of view, IMHO. Sorry to perhaps sound flippant, but what version of the Scriptures are you reading?

• Spar Harmon says:

I DON’T KNOW ABOUT ANY OF THAT STUFF, OCCIGENT. For pleasure I still exercise my scholarly inclinations, listen to and play music, carve, solve math conundrums, work Sudoku puzzles, etc, etc. What I cannot do with any truth is ponder what Jesus would or would not do about anything. But when I act in a way I Know to be attuned to the guiding Will, in the present here and now, there is no fear, hesitation, or doubt troubling my action. When I get to see at least some of the consequences, they are far beyond what my mind could have conceived, and my heart is full of awe and joy. I leave Israel to God..it is beyond me to judge the matter…

• Sharon says:

Don’t worry about it, Spar. I’ve never heard anyone suggest that Jesus would have given Israel sovereignty, so have no idea where that’s coming from at all. It has absolutely nothing to do with the context of the post.

Jesus never considered that there was a political “this world” aspect to His kingdom which He clearly ruled out a number of times. So speculating about something that He clearly ruled out is just a mind game in this context.

This kind of discussion sort of falls into the “how many angels can stand on the head of pin” thing.

• Spar Harmon says:

I agree, Sharon, and that was really my point also: that I am free to let my mind play but if there is something I am meant to do, my toys are put aside, I check my attunement, and I act from what I earnestly hope is guidance. Other than that, well…
          I have a good friend, Arnie Mandell , a former physicist turn psychologist who invented Process Oriented Psychology (institutes in Zurich and Portland, OR), who with his astounding wife Amy does World Work conflict resolution: between Korea and Japan and between Israel and Palestine to name two places they work…But they work with rooms full of ordinary folks from the countries in conflict and they work with them as if they were just two people in conflict.
          If I were called to work in such a manner, and Israel was the area I felt called to work with, in other words if that were part of my here and now, then there might be things I would learn that need to be told. When I am in the Treehouse, I bring what is discussed into me, and I learn much, but I don’t always feel moved to comment… And so on

• dws says:

Jesus was a threat to the sanhedrin counsel, which was institutionalized in the time of Moses. {Then the Lord said to Moses, “Gather for me seventy men of the elders of Israel, whom you know to be the elders of the people and officers over them, and bring them to the tent of meeting, and let them take their stand there with you. And I will come down and talk with you there. And I will take some of the Spirit that is on you and put it on them, and they shall bear the burden of the people with you, so that you may not bear it yourself alone. (Numbers 11:16-17, ESV)}

And the sanhedrin counsel was supposed to be an adjunct to the living prophet to assist him and fairly apply the law of God. But it became the means by which the prophets were killed and the counsel claimed the authority for themselves, without the need of a prophet. And the perversion increased to such an extreme that when the Son of God, Jesus, himself was brought before the counsel, using the laws of God, they convict and condemn the most righteous on the face of the earth, God in creation, Jesus to death. So the struggle was, is, and has always been the struggle between those who claim sovereignty for themselves versus those who only accept the sovereignty of God.

11. KPM58 says:

I wonder how Moses felt when he knew he was hearing the voice of GOD.
    How is it possible to feel so small as a speck of dust and yet as great as the universe at the same time? But yet I do.

• Spar Harmon says:

He felt reluctant and inadequate as I recall…and he was right. He was. But he wasn’t to do these thing on his own power, but in alignment with All Power. Da Boy wuz Awthoriiized!!!!!!!!!!!

12. akathesob says:

It is one thing to read a excellent and moving article, but it is a gift to read just as moving comments after… :o)