A Parable - Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face, walked into a grocery store. She approached the owner of the store in a most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few groceries. She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable to work, they had seven children and they needed food.

John Longhouse, the grocer, scoffed at her and requested that she leave his store at once.

Visualizing the family needs, she said: ‘Please, sir! I will bring you the money just as soon as I can.’ John told her he could not give her credit, since she did not have a charge account at his store.

Standing beside the counter was a customer who overheard the conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the grocer that he would stand good for whatever she needed for her family. The grocer said in a very reluctant voice, ‘Do you have a grocery list?’

Louise replied, ‘Yes sir.’

‘O.K’ he said, ‘put your grocery list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you that amount in groceries.’

Louise hesitated a moment with a bowed head, then she reached into her purse and took out a piece o f paper and scribbled something on it. She then laid the piece of paper on the scale carefully with her head still bowed.

The eyes of the grocer and the customer showed amazement when the scales went down and stayed down.

The grocer, staring at the scales, turned slowly to the customer and said begrudgingly, ‘I can’t believe it.’

The customer smiled and the grocer started putting the groceries on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance so he continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales would hold no more.

The grocer stood there in utter disgust. Finally, he grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with greater amazement.

It was not a grocery list, it was a prayer, which said:

‘Dear Lord, you know my needs and I am leaving this in your hands.’

The grocer gave her the groceries that he had gathered and stood in stunned silence.

Louise thanked him and left the store… The other customer handed a fifty-dollar bill to the grocer and said:

‘It was worth every penny of it. Only God Knows how much a prayer weighs.’

Originally shared October 2011
About these ads
This entry was posted in Heros, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Trust in the Lord with all your heart and He will never fail you, because He is Awesome!

1. maryfrommarin says:

That was lovely, Sundance. Thank you very much.

2. kinthenorthwest says:

Wow Thank you sundance….I feel the need to share this poem?? that some one send me the other day when talking about Valarie Harper’s courage…

Best Day Of My Life

Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life, ever! There were times when I wondered if I would make it to today; but I did! And because I did I’m going to celebrate!
    Today, I’m going to celebrate what an unbelievable life I have had so far: the accomplishments, the many blessings, and, yes, even the hardships because they have served to make me stronger. I will go through this day with my head held high, and a happy heart.
    I will marvel at God’s seemingly simple gifts: the morning dew, the sun, the clouds, the trees, the flowers, the birds. Today, none of these miraculous creations will escape my notice.
    Today, I will share my excitement for life with other people. I’ll make someone smile. I’ll go out of my way to perform an unexpected act of kindness for someone I don’t even know.
    Today, I’ll give a sincere compliment to someone who seems down. I’ll tell a child how special he is, and I’ll tell someone I love just how deeply I care for her and how much she means to me.
    Today is the day I quit worrying about what I don’t have and start being grateful for all the wonderful things God has already given me. I’ll remember that to worry is just a waste of time because my faith in God and his Divine Plan ensures everything will be just fine.
    And tonight, before I go to bed, I’ll go outside and raise my eyes to the heavens. I will stand in awe at the beauty of the stars and the moon, and I will praise God for these magnificent treasures.
    As the day ends and I lay my head down on my pillow, I will thank the Almighty for the best day of my life. And I will sleep the sleep of a contented child, excited with expectation because I know tomorrow is going to be the best day of my life, ever!

3. maggiemoowho says:

Thank you Sundance :) I just shared this with my Mom.

4. PatriotUSA says:

Thanks Sundance,
    Timing was perfect for me as I am just a few days out of a third spinal fusion surgery. I know the Lord is me strength and this was just a joy to my heart and soul. I want for nothing in this life no matter how down I may seem to be as I am blessed way beyond any earthly measure already.

5. woohoowee says:

:-)

6. PatriotUSA says:

Thank you, each and everyone of you. I am home and doing so-so. Pain is horrendous but have plenty of pain meds and surgeon is top notch. She had to do a third fusion and is coming after my last neurosurgeon did the first two, also excellent doctor. Once the lowest level is fused, it is a domino effect up the spine. I also had the original hardware that needed to be removed as it was wearing out, replaced, and then new parts and donor bone put the next level up. The surgeon was unable to remove all of the old stuff (she saved what she hacked out for me, cool stuff actually), there was horrendous amounts of bone spurs and even worse scar tissue to fish out before she could get to the damaged nerves to free them up. I was on the table for five hours plus and now the incisions are infected so I am on antibiotics and may have to be re-admitted if this does not get under control fast. This is to regain some stability and whatever pain relief I get will be dessert. I have permanent nerve damage for sure, extent is unknown for quite some time, I also have severe degenerative arthritis all throughout my spine and may need more fusions down the road. Surgery was on the 4th and I was home on the 8th.This team of docs actually used Craftsman tools for some of what they did as they custom tweaked them after the spendy surgical tools failed to get them the desired results. I saw them just before they knocked me out. Biggest worry is financial as I am outta work and so is the Mrs after she works about three more days at the most.Do not know if she will get any unemployment till her job is over. Have my disability but it ain’t near enough but we are just trusting in the Lord to get us through this. We have no savings and did bankruptcy a year ago to save our home. Just a tough time for sure.I will sidelined for at least 16 weeks and if this does not fuse at that point then I will have to undergo a revision fusion from the front and back, called a 180 degree flip. My second fusion was one of these and was a nasty affair back in 2002. Prayers are awesome and I have to go for now cause is the Mrs. Catches me up this late and on the laptop I will be in a lot worse shape after she gets done with me. Cannot be in a sitting position for more than 15 minutes and I gotta put me back brace back on too. I have to really good as this is the third rodeo and I was not a very patient after the first two. Back when I can and my email is sidewinder340@bendbroadband.com. Just put treeper in subject line.

Thank you, I am blessed by all of you and Jesus is me rock!